Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Legolas and the Rangers ❯ The Light of Dawn ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 17
 
The Light of Dawn
 
A sickening squish echoed throughout the room as Elrohir's fingers finally wrapped around his blade.
 
Whirling, he raised his blade desperately to be greeted by the sight of another blade protruding through the goblin's stomach. With a vicious wrench, the blade was withdrawn and the beast collapsed in a bloody heap.
 
Elrohir stared, hardly able to believe his luck and then his gaze rose to meet his rescuer and he gasped with amazement.
 
Standing behind him, spattered with goblin blood, stood Legolas.
 
The elf smiled brightly, `well no need to thank me.'
 
`But how?' stammered Elrohir. Legolas laughed. `It is a long story and one I will gladly tell but not now, we need to get your brother out of here.'
 
Elrohir nodded and hurried over to help Legolas.
 
The younger twin winced as he lifted his brother's frame, so much slighter than it had previously been. To at last be able to touch Elladan brought tears to Elrohir's eyes but he did not let them fall. It was not the time for they still weren't free of this nightmare yet.
 
He followed Legolas as the Sindarian elf led the way out of the room, his blades raised to protect the twin sons of Elrond.
 
The corridor was not a mass of fighting bodies now; all lay still and quiet. The two rangers had left to return to the main fight leaving Glorfindel behind. As Elrohir approached, he noticed the other leaning against the wall heavily.
 
Sheathing one dagger, Legolas extracted a torch from its bracket on the wall and hurried forward to the elf.
 
Glorfindel winced away from it but it was too late; the flame revealed the deathly pallor of the other's face and the blood seeping from a deep cut horizontally across his right wrist.
 
`Glorfindel,' whispered Elrohir, fear constricting his throat. Gently he set Elladan down and moved forwards to look at the wound.
 
Glorfindel did not resist as his arm was pulled away. `How did this happen?' questioned Elrohir carefully examining the wound. When he received no answer he glanced up and noticed that Glorfindel's face was turned away, he features standing out starkly in the flickering light as he struggled against the pain.
 
`I am sorry mellon nin,' murmured Elrohir, `I did not mean to hurt you.'
 
Looking at his clothing, Elrohir realised there was too little of it to use as bandaging and it was far too dirty in any case. Elladan's cloak was still attached and clean enough though, so Elrohir carefully removed it and tore it into strips, binding the other's arm gently but firmly.
 
`I had not thought to find you here,' murmured Glorfindel softly. `I know,' replied Elrohir looking up. He was puzzled though because Glorfindel was not looking at him. Following his line of sight though, he understood.
 
The golden elf's eyes were resting wearily on Legolas. `This is an added bonus,' he remarked softly. Legolas smiled gently, `I live to please though it will be difficult to defend three of you.'
 
`Nonsense,' replied Glorfindel, his eyes suddenly sharpening. It was like watching a gate swing shut over his face as the pain vanished, leaving a grim mask behind.
 
Pushing off the wall, Glorfindel stooped and retrieved his sword from the floor, settling it easily in his left hand. `Just because my usual hand is no good does not mean that the other is entirely useless either,' he said.
 
`After you,' he said gesturing for the others to move forward. Elrohir glared at Glorfindel but offered no protest. He had grown up with this unusual elf and had come to recognise a stubborn streak in the other a mile wide.
 
`We had best hurry then,' urged Legolas. `Your brother does not look well and we will need to get him out of here as fast as possible if we are to avoid further trouble.'
 
0-0-0-0-0-0
 
Blaen gasped as he staggered backwards, crashing against the tunnel wall behind him. Cursing his own stupidity, the ranger ducked as the goblin sliced through the air where his neck had just been. He had not intended to get himself backed into a corner but that's precisely what had happened.
 
The movement of his swing put the goblin terribly off balance and Blaen seized the opportunity to slash his throat. Blood splattered everywhere, much of it across Blaen. He wrinkled his nose at the putrid stench but could do nothing about it as the next goblin leapt over his slain companion to battle him.
 
He seemed to fall into some form of a pattern: cut, slash, dodge, duck, plunge and wrench. Gradually, he became aware that he had moved away from the others. With a lull in the fighting around him, he sought to gather his wits.
 
He met Asher near the tunnel he and Kit had left the two elves down some time ago. The ranger was limping slightly but his face was alive and his sword hand steady.
 
`We have to get out of here soon,' said Blaen loudly over the ruckus. `I know,' replied Asher. `They have reinforcements coming from everywhere and we won't be able to hold them off much longer.'
 
Blaen nodded grimly. `We found Elrohir but he and Lord Glorfindel went back into the cave further to find Elladan. I believe he is not in the best of shape.' Asher nodded darkly, `just a few minutes and we're going to have to get out of here, whether we have them or not.'
 
`Alright,' replied Blaen, `I will wait here for them. You get everyone else ready to retreat and make sure my father comes too. You know what he's like.' Asher laughed grimly, `aye I know; he's about as single-minded as you are.'
 
0-0-0-0-0-0
 
The darkness of the tunnel gradually began to lessen as they approached the main cavern. Legolas could not see the others behind him but he could hear Elrohir's stumbling steps and Glorfindel's slightly harsh breathing.
 
He cursed his own luck at their situation. Had he not fallen into the underground stream, none of this would have unfolded. Alas, it had however and Legolas knew that he could not change it, wish though he might.
 
Elrohir suddenly stumbled and nearly crashed into Legolas. The Sindar Prince stopped and steadied the other before moving on. Elrohir was their weakest and as such, it was better if he carried his brother and left the fighting to the two golden haired elves. In a heartbeat, Legolas would have taken the burden from the exhausted elf but unfortunately, he could not and so he was forced to listen to the younger twin stagger forward in the dim tunnel.
 
Finally they approached the opening and Legolas paused to cautiously check the surrounding area from the safety of the passage. No goblins lingered near the exit though so Legolas carefully led them out along the right hand wall, keeping vigilantly to the shadows and making sure no light caught the face of his weapons or the sheen of his pale hair concealed mostly beneath his hood.
 
Glorfindel followed suit keeping close behind Elrohir to catch the twin should he fall backwards.
 
The fighting was everywhere but nobody paid much attention to the four shadows creeping around the perimeter of the cave. Above the roar of battle suddenly rose a long, clear horn blast.
 
`What was that?' asked Legolas as the last note died away. `It is the signal for the rangers to retreat,' replied Glorfindel suddenly pushing Elrohir forward. `We must hurry or we shall soon be found out,' he continued urgently.
 
Quickly Legolas complied and in his haste, he did not see the body in his path until he suddenly tripped over it. Getting back up, he realised it was not the body of a goblin he had fallen over but one of the rangers.
 
`Does he still breathe?' asked Glorfindel. `Yes,' responded Legolas as he withdrew his hand from where he had held it close to the ranger's face. `It is faint though-,' he said but Glorfindel interrupted, `never mind. Pick him up and bring him. I will watch for danger. They have not yet noticed us and we may yet escape this mess.'
 
Once again Legolas followed the golden elf's lead and sheathed his knives before stooping without a second thought to pick up the fallen ranger.
 
They hurried on through the darkness towards the light of dawn beyond.
 
They were barely twenty yards from the exit before the goblins finally noticed their presence. Some were too injured to stand but the vast majority was standing just shy of the sunlight yelling after their foes and yet not daring to venture out after them.
 
It was the injured who raised the alarm, calling to their comrades as the four elves and ranger appeared out of the gloom.
 
Glorfindel's dagger quickly found the crier's throat but it was too late, the damage had been done.
 
Several turned and rushed towards them, the others remained back, howling with glee. Legolas easily realised why: they thought that because they were blocking the entrance, he and the others wouldn't dare try to escape that way.
 
They were right but Legolas was also desperate and Elrohir even more so. They had not come so far to be deterred at the last hurdle.
 
Glorfindel leapt forward in front of them, his sword flashing as he cut down the first of his attackers. With the goblins for the moment occupied, Legolas risked setting down his burden and grabbing a discarded bow from where he had spied it on the cave floor. A smashed quiver lay nearby and Legolas didn't hesitate in scooping up the remaining arrows though they were few.
 
Notching the arrow, he drew back with practiced ease and fired. The arrow flew through the air and embedded itself in one goblin near the entrance. The bolt struck the goblin in the shoulder and sent the beast flat onto his back.
 
Gritting his teeth as he realised the bow was much too light in the bottom end, he readjusted his aim and fired again. This time the arrow found its mark in a goblin's heart. The beast only had time for a slight gasp of pain before he toppled sideways, dead.
 
Five shots later and his arrows were spent. `Glorfindel we must hurry,' urged Legolas. `They will overwhelm us before much longer.' `I know,' retorted the other, his brow slick with sweat and blood. `We must move towards the sunlight but no matter what happens, stay behind me and do not leave the wall. It is the only thing protecting our backs and once we reach the light they will not dare venture out after us,' instructed Glorfindel.
 
Legolas nodded reluctantly and did as he was bid, Elrohir beside him. Slowly they moved ever closer to the entrance, sometimes a metre in a matter of seconds and sometimes nowhere for several minutes.
Glorfindel was a blur of motion and did not seem to tire as they moved closer to their goal. Legolas was astounded at the skill the Noldorian elf possessed with his left hand and yet he still felt a twinge of fear at their prospects. On several occasions, he had to hastily deflect a blow least it catch Glorfindel unawares in the side.
 
His left arm soon began to ache under the weight of the unconscious ranger which he held and didn't even know if he still lived but he didn't dare relinquish his hold. Thus, his right hand, armed with a dagger, was all that was keeping disaster at bay.
 
The goblins soon began to grow frustrated and screeched angrily as the five steadily drew nearer to escape.
 
They had not expected this attack in their own home and many of their numbers had already been lost and yet they were still losing more.
 
`Just a little further,' urged Elrohir. Legolas looked and realised he was right. The entrance beckoned just a metre or so away. The press of bodies was thickest here but Legolas held his nerve and instead of focusing on protecting Glorfindel, he took the risk and lashed out to his right, cutting two goblin bodies down, encumbered as he was.
 
They fell to the dirt and Legolas threw himself at the gap they left behind. The remaining goblins were thrust aside as Legolas leapt past them and in their momentary confusion, Elrohir and Glorfindel followed.
 
Hastily they moved up the path towards safety, ignoring the shouts behind them as several goblins tried to follow them but were forced back into the darkness, away from the bite of the sun on their dark skin.
 
Relief washed through Legolas making his knees go weak as he realised they had escaped.
 
`Quickly,' intoned Glorfindel from the rear of their group. `We must be far from here by the time evening is upon us. I can guarantee that this mountainside will be swarming with goblins tonight.'
 
Though the path was still slippery, the elves moved quickly and carefully, Elrohir absolutely determined not to let his brother fall a second time.
 
They had only just rounded a corner when they had to stop as the remainder of the rangers came into view. Some form of an argument was easily evident amongst them with Kit and Trelaen in the middle of it.
 
`I still say we should go back for them,' glowered Kit crossly.
 
`Absolutely not!' argued Asher. `We risked our lives for them and if they have not escaped then there is nothing more that we can do.'
 
`And neither should you have to,' piped up Elrohir. Startled, the rangers turned towards them, their faces breaking into surprise.
 
Taking the opportunity, Legolas knelt down at the back of the group and set his burden down. Absently he rubbed his aching arm as he listened to the reunion.
 
Pleased that his circulation was at last returning, Legolas extended his hand and checked to see if the ranger was still breathing. A soft breath touched his hand and he nodded in satisfaction.
 
The human was only young yet and when Legolas discovered the blow to the youth's temple, he decided it most likely that he wouldn't be out for long.
 
Leaning back, he finally surveyed his charge and began to realise there was something startlingly familiar about the human.
 
He shrugged off the feeling though as Glorfindel called for his attention. He stood up and moved towards the others, noting the victorious feeling amongst the rangers. Only one seemed to stand apart, the older man in the troop whom Glorfindel had called Trelaen.
 
His face was a picture of grief and for a moment, Legolas was puzzled by this.
 
A groan behind him interrupted his thoughts as he realised his charge was waking. Turning, he went back to the young ranger instead.
 
Another soft moan issued from the ranger's mouth and he blearily blinked his eyes.
 
`Easy,' ordered Legolas. `You've had quite a nasty hit.' Gently he pressed a water canteen to his mouth and gave him a small sip of the liquid.
 
Abruptly, the youth started to laugh. Legolas looked at him, slightly alarmed as the ranger announced, `it seems I have died and gone to the next world.'
 
`Well I do not know about you but I am certainly alive,' replied Legolas. `Then that would be a miracle,' said the ranger, `because the last time I saw you, you had fallen to your death, in turn saving my own life though I was hardly kind to you then.'
 
`Blaen?!' asked Legolas so shocked that he dropped the water canteen. Though the ranger was thin, slightly bearded and rather filthy, Legolas realised that it was indeed him despite his appearance.
 
`I had all but given up hope,' said Blaen wearily leaning back. `I'm sorry,' answered Legolas concerned. `I did not recognise you.'
 
Rousing himself a little Blaen replied, `no I am sorry Legolas. I did not treat you particularly well but worse then that, I let my own guilt eat at my soul until it was all I could think about and then I realised how selfish I had been. However, I did not imagine our reunion to be this way,' he laughed weakly and Legolas smiled in response. `Well it is better than no reunion at all,' he said.
 
Blaen laughed again and answered, `well what I and I'm sure most of us would like to know, is where have you been all this time?' `That is a long story,' said Legolas, `and one I will tell you but when we have the time. For now, I think Glorfindel would definitely like us to be on our way.'
 
Standing, Legolas told Blaen to rest a minute and moved carefully along the narrow path towards the place where Trelaen stood staring unseeingly out over the ledge.
 
`Trelaen,' called Legolas softly. The ranger turned listlessly towards him and Legolas tried to smile reassuringly. `Come with me,' said Legolas. Turning, he led the older ranger back up the path to where his son rested. Once he had heard their names together, he had guessed them to be father and son and that Trelaen believed his son had been killed like the other few rangers that others in the troop appeared to be mourning amongst the victorious faces.
 
He smiled broadly as he watched Trelaen slump beside his son, his knees so weak with relief they could not support him and only he was there to see the fierce hug father and son shared.
 
As they broke apart he sensed the approach of another. He turned to great a pale Glorfindel and Legolas quickly noted with concern that the bandage on his arm was now soaked through with blood and several others cuts seemed to have appeared upon the taller elf.
 
`Come my Lord,' said Legolas catching Glorfindel as he suddenly stumbled and nearly collapsed. `Let someone else be the leader for a while. For now, I think it is time I took care of you.' `That is good,' replied Glorfindel faintly, `because I feel like I could sleep for the next century.'