Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Legolas and the Rangers ❯ Home Again, Home Again ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 18
 
Home Again, Home Again
 
Against the distant shadow of the mountain, two figures raced down its slopes, riding so quickly that it would be very easy to fall if a single footstep was misplaced.
 
They made it to level ground however and leapt forward into the trees, riding side by side.
 
Legolas glanced across to where Elrohir rode; his face was haggard with grief and fatigue but he still pressed forward desperately. The reason for this rested in front of Legolas.
 
Elladan had not woken once since they had retrieved him from the depths of the goblin mines. His injury's were many and even Elrohir, quite versed in the healing arts had had difficulty finding them all or been able to do anything about them.
 
Indeed, Elladan was a mess and should not have even been on a horse but time was of the essence and the steed given to Legolas from Glorfindel moved so smoothly, that it was almost impossible to do Elladan harm.
 
Still, Legolas was uncomfortable with the situation and wished that Elladan were well.
 
The others were still several days behind them. They had returned from their foray into the mountains only to find the other half of the troop coming to meet them. Glorfindel's horse and the one Blaen had taken from the stables of Rivendell had been there and Glorfindel had not hesitated to give Legolas his and offer Blaen's to Elrohir. They had mounted and left instantly for Rivendell. It had been hard for Legolas to convince the exhausted twin to let him take Elladan but eventually he had.
 
Now, they rode with all haste for there were only a few hours left now and Legolas could sense Elrohir's growing desire to get home to their father and finally have Elladan safe.
 
0-0-0-0-0-0
 
Calmly Lord Elrond watched the stars in the night time sky, his eyes absently picking out familiar ones and different constellations. Absently he rubbed his sore finger. It had healed from the beating it had taken some time ago but was still a little achy. It would only be a few days however, before even that vanished.
 
Reminded of his sons, Elrond's face darkened and sorrow stole into his heart. It had been so long now, each day resting more heavily than the last and he was almost beginning to wonder if any of them would come back. It would be wonderful to know what had become of everyone but this waiting game was nearly enough to drive him to despair.
 
Sounds of horses suddenly drifted through the night air to reach Elrond's sensitive ears. His heart thudded widely as they came closer and all of a sudden he desired to go quickly and see who had come.
 
Without a second thought, he discarded his robe and leapt over the balcony railing into the tall willow just beyond. He traversed its slender branches almost carelessly, leaping from that tree to another with easy agility. He repeated this process, working his way through the garden around to the front of the house where the main courtyard was.
 
He dropped from the trees with easy grace just as the gates were thrown open to allow two riders to pass through. At the sight of Glorfindel's horse and the flash of gold hair, the spark of hope in Elrond's chest suddenly spluttered and nearly went out, until his eyes found the other horse and he took in a sharp breath as he realised who it was.
 
As if he had heard the sharp breath, Elrohir's head snapped around so that his gaze came to rest upon his father, dressed in a loose dress shirt, breeches and a tall pair of suede leather boots.
 
Elrond rushed forward and gathered Elrohir into his arms as the young elf dismounted. `Oh Elrohir, I swear if you ever do this to me again I will come after you myself, do you hear? Do you have any idea how much your mother and I have worried about you and your brother? Speaking of which, where is Elladan?' said Elrond. `Adar-,' began Elrohir then tapered off weakly. He was still reeling from the long ride and it was difficult to focus.
 
Turning, Elrond sought out Glorfindel's face but froze as his gaze came to rest on the golden haired elf in question because it was not Glorfindel.
 
Legolas smiled tiredly at Elrond from the seat of his horse, Elladan still clutched to his chest.
 
`Valar,' breathed Elrond, rushing forward. `Legolas, Elladan? What has happened?' he demanded reaching up to take his unconscious son from the woodland Prince.
 
`Elladan took a fall over a cliff Ada,' answered Elrohir stepping up to help his father. `I do not know how he survived but he did and now I fear we must hurry. He has not awakened for two weeks,' he explained.
 
Elrond stared at his youngest in alarm, recalling the vision of falling from some weeks ago.
 
At last they managed to get Elladan off the horse and Legolas quickly followed. `I will deal with the horses,' said Legolas. `You get Elladan inside,' he told Elrond. `I do not think I can do anymore for him.'
 
The family nodded and turned to race back into the house, Elrond first with Elladan and Elrohir following just behind. They met a shocked Erestor at the door who had heard the horses in the courtyard and come to investigate.
 
`Go ahead Erestor,' ordered Elrond, `and get the healing quarters ready.' The advisor quickly regained his composure and hurried away to do as he was bid.
 
0-0-0-0-0-0
 
Legolas had just set the last of the tack aside when he heard the door to the stables open. Turning, he stared with surprise at his father.
 
Thranduil looked almost as tired as Elrohir despite being dressed in his evening war, having come from the festivities in the hall of fire.
 
Brushing aside his fly away hair, Thranduil approach his son slowly; as if afraid that he might suddenly vanish before his eyes. He had glimpsed Erestor come into the hall and tell Celebrian something. Her face had been so stunned that Thranduil had know someone must have returned and if it was really Legolas, Thranduil had guessed that the Prince would be in the stables taking care of the horses. It seemed he had been right.
 
Smiling, Legolas closed the gap instead and hugged his father furiously. Happiness spread between the two and Thranduil allowed a single tear of relief to slide down his face.
 
`Ai Legolas, I thought you had gone and left me forever when Blaen was brought back and I found out about that underground stream,' said Thranduil. `Well I am harder to kill then most,' announced Legolas smiling. `I think I have had it quite mildly compared to Elladan and Elrohir.'
 
`Really?' asked Thranduil finally stepping back and allowing his son to take his arm and lead him back to the house. `Aye,' answered Legolas gravely. `They were caught by mountain goblins and I believe Elladan fell down a cliff face. I brought him back and he hasn't awakened since we retrieved him from the goblins. I have never seen anyone as miserable as Elrohir,' explained Legolas.
 
Thranduil nodded grimly. `Then let us go and continue our reunion outside the healing wing so that we might be the first to hear news of Elladan.' `Agreed,' replied Legolas warmly.
 
0-0-0-0-0-0
 
Elrond rubbed his face tiredly and stepped back from his son's still body. The first of the new day's rays was beginning to shine through the open window but Elrond only felt doubt eating at his heart.
 
Sighing, he tossed aside the towel he had dried his hands on and left Elladan in the care of the other healers, his twin finally sleeping peacefully on the lounge opposite Elladan's bed. He smiled briefly at Celebrian who had Elrohir's head in her lap and was stroking his hair gently.
 
Outside the room, he was quite surprised to discover Thranduil, Legolas and Erestor. Legolas blinked tiredly and sat up as Elrond stopped before them.
 
`Well, what is the news?' asked Thranduil finally breaking the silence. Elrond sighed once again and answered, `it is impossible to say.'
 
`Elladan has numerous injuries which have caused fever to set in upon his body. Amazingly, I think he has lived through it but it left his body so weak that his mind has retreated in order to deal with it. I have no idea how long it will take for him to awake or even if he will awake at all,' said Elrond.
 
Silence ensured. Abruptly Thranduil broke the silence, replying, `nonsense! Of course he shall awaken and be up and about in no time, no doubt getting into all sorts of mischief with the other little orc he likes to call brother.'
 
The melancholy air abruptly broke as soft laughter suddenly filled it. `You are right,' answered Elrond. `I should know my own son better than that.' He smiled warmly at the Woodland King, his eyes thanking Thranduil.
 
`Well I don't know about anyone else,' began Legolas, `but I am exhausted and should like a nice long rest if I may.' Thranduil smiled, `go ahead son, we will not stop you.'
 
Laughing, Legolas stood and departed; his bed and the promise of soft sheets and pillows beckoning.