Love Hina Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ Love Hina: Once Again ❯ Chapter 16

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Love Hina: Once Again
Fifteen

The ghost wailed sadly, shimmering in the cold fall night as the members of the Phantom Quest Corp watched. “So...,” Kitsune hesitated, “how do we handle this?” The sandy blonde haired woman was unusually sober, her normal impish air almost gone as the spirit’s deep sorrow touched them all.

Motoko frowned thoughtfully, her long black hair tied back in a neat ponytail. “I can banish it with a God’s Cry technique,” she said, looking up at the young woman’s ghostly form with a bit of sympathy.

“Can we do something a bit more... gentle first?” Ema asked tentatively, the young woman looking at her computer where she had put together a background on the haunting.

What they had learned so far about the spirit was enough to tug at anyone’s heart strings. As best as they could deduce, this was the ghost of Ayame Harada who died nearly fifty years ago, when her family forced her separation from her beloved and she had committed suicide. It appeared that the pain of loss had bound her spirit to this spot down through the years.

“I can always try something,” Rei Hino offered, dressed in her traditional shrine maiden’s outfit. The black haired woman’s hair shimmered as she added, “I think a exorcism might be a more peaceful way to go....”

The spirit cried out once more in grief, Ayame’s long hair shimmering mist-like in the light of the lamps. Something seemed to catch her eye as she looked down at them, and her sorrowful cry faltered for a moment. It was almost as if she recognized something she had not seen before....

Kitsune’s eyes widened, “She’s looking at me....”

The ghost was in their midst almost before they could react, her etheral form sending a chill through them as she passed. “You!” Ayame exclaimed, gazing at Kitsune in wonder.

“Don’t hurt her,” Motoko commanded the ghost grimly, the intense young woman holding her sword at the ready.

A nearly transparent hand reached out hesitantly to Kitsune as Ayame murmured, “You look like my lover, gone so long ago....”

“Wow,” Ema murmured, typing away madly on her laptop computer as she recorded the events unfolding in front of her.

“Uh,” was all the response Kitsune could manage, gazing into those unearthly eyes.

Ayame hesitated, looking oddly shy as she murmured, “I know it’s time for me to go... but before I do, could I have a favor?”

KItsune realized the ghost was talking to her and cleared her throat nervously. “What is it?” she asked warily.

“Could I have,” the ghost looked like she wanted to blush as Ayame asked, “a kiss before I go?”

“Ah, I’m a girl,” Kitsune said hesitantly in case the ghost didn’t realize.

“So was my love,” Ayame smiled sadly, “will you?”

Kitsune swallowed and summoned up her courage, “All right, I’ll do it.”

Ayame’s ghostly form swirled before Kitsune then reached out, cupping her face with hands that left her skin tingling oddly. She moved forward as strands of her hair drifted oddly then pressed her lips to Kitsune’s for a moment.

“Thank you,” the ghost murmured as she released her. Ayame turned to Motoko and Rei as she said quietly, “I’m ready.”

Rei began to chant softly as fire danced around her, then the ghost began to shimmer and fade. Kitsune looked at her disappearing as she said, “I hope you find her over there.”

“Me too,” the ghost managed to whisper before Ayame finally disappeared.

“That was incredible,” the young man who owned the house shook his head in awe. His brown hair fell in a messy tangle into his face as he pressed a envelope into Kitsune’s hand, “Thank you so much!”

“You’re welcome sir,” Kitsune nodded seriously, “and please call on us if you need assistance with supernatural matters again.”

“No disrespect intended,” he laughed a bit uncomfortably as he said, “but I really hope I don’t have to call on you again.”

“We get that a lot,” Motoko said wryly as they packed up to go.

The Hinata Inn’s van was cold as Kitsune started it up, cranking up the heater to warm the shivering occupants. Ema barely noticed the cold as she huddled over her laptop, running through the images the camera caught. “This is going to make a great update,” she murmured, “even the pictures of the ghost came out well.”

“Don’t put her full name in the article,” Kitsune cautioned Ema, “she might have some still living relations.”

“Wouldn’t they want to know?” Rei Hino wondered, leaning forward from where she sat in the back seat.

Motoko sat in the front beside Kitsune, carefully polishing the katana she carried. “Possibly,” she agreed, “but I think Kitsune would prefer to be cautious.”

“If the family gets annoyed by the article we could be sued,” Kitsune shrugged, “I’d really rather not take the chance.”

“All right,” Ema conceded as she typed.

Motoko looked out the window, feeling her emotions rolling around uncontrollably. She was used to maintaining a certain level of control, but somehow the events she had witnessed had ripped that control away. When Ayame had approached Kitsune Motoko had been shocked by her surge of fear and when they kissed... Motoko had found herself burning with jealousy.

‘Why did I react like that?’ Motoko wondered. She valued Kitsune as a close friend, yes, but she had never really considered her in a romantic way. Well, there was that one time when she had been in Kitsune’s body, but....

“Motoko?” Kitsune looked at her strangely, “Rei asked you a question.”

“Oh, sorry,” Motoko looked sheepish as she turned to Rei, “What?”

Rei gave her a thoughtful look then asked, “I was curious if you knew the origins of the God’s Cry techniques?”

“Not really,” Motoko admitted, “they’ve been passed down in my family for generations, but how they were created has been lost to history.”

“That’s too bad,” Rei said honestly. “I’ve been... looking into a clan of demon hunters from the warring states era of japan, and according to the stories their swordsmen could do similar things.”

“Really?” Motoko looked surprised, “Which clan?”

“The Sango-Miroku clan,” Rei explained, “named after their founders, I understand.”

Motoko’s eyes widened slightly as she conceded, “I’ve heard of them.” She frowned thoughtfully, “I’ll ask my elder sister about it, if you like.”

“I’d appreciate it,” Rei said with a faint smile.

‘I wonder why she’s looking into it?’ Motoko wondered as she turned to look out the window. ‘Is it connected to the shrine she’s training at?’

“Just about there,” Kitsune called as they chugged up the hill, eventually pulling up behind the Hinata Inn. Several women waited for their arrival, huddled together from the cold.

“How did it go?” Shinobu called as the dark haired younger girl helped unload the van.

“Did you bust any ghost?” Koalla Su asked eagerly.

“Rei,” Ami Mizuno smiled as she swiftly hugged her lover, “I’m glad you’re all right.”

“It was strictly routine,” Rei reassured her.

“With this bunch,” Ami smiled fondly, “it’s never just routine.”

“Hey!” Kitsune protested, chuckling.

To be continued....