Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Ride On Time ❯ Flight #1 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Love Hina and its characters belong to Akamatsu Ken…)
A/N: Hi! Thanks for those who have read this fic and the reviews! Here's part 1 of 2 for chapter 1. I spilt it up as it will turn out to be way too long for a single chapter, about 20+ pages. I hope you guys will enjoy this chapter. Motoko will appear from now on.

Flight #1
(continued from prologue...)
Meanwhile, Aoyama Motoko had just arrived her workplace at Narita Management center. “Urashima will be here soon,” She thought as a plane took off second ago. The Toudai graduate had joined All Nippon Airways as legal counsel, drafting and managing the aircraft servicing and maintenance department. The Shinmeiryuu goddess wished she could be flying with Kanako, but was rejected as the board feared that she would unleash her sword techniques onboard if she lost her composure when antagonized by perverted passengers. That would be a total disaster. As long as she could see Keitaro in the airport often, she felt contended.

Keitaro viewed at the flight plan and then his watch. They were ahead of the Estimated Time of Arrival. “We will be landing ten minutes early,” He reported to the Captain.
“The sky is quite similar to a woman in some ways,” Mizuno said. Keitaro chuckled at his comment, taking a look out of the windscreen. The fluffy white clouds matched well with the peaceful bluish sky. It was simply beautiful as he could not experience that in the lower atmosphere.
“Both of them are unpredictable. They may be calm at one moment but violent at another,” Keitaro added to the Captain's metaphor. “I have been hearing a lot of this back in my training.”
“You should be able to understand them by now.”
“A bit,” Keitaro replied, waving his hand as the Captain expected him to know this simple relation between sky and woman in his fingertips. “I was just joking!” The co pilot then fastened seatbelt and shoulder straps as they prepared for the landing. “Captain, please secure yourself.” After reminding the older one, Keitaro picked up the intercom handset and informed the cabin crew.
As Mizuno reached for his shoulder strap, his expression began to torment.
“All Nippon 1051, this is Narita. Please use runway 34L,” The Automatic Terminal Information Service provided.
“Understood. Narita runway 34L,” Keitaro acknowledged and looked at the multi function display. “Crosswind 18 knots. Quite strong, isn't it?”
There was a moment of silence before Keitaro found the Captain lying back, instead of controlling the aircraft. “Captain, are you okay?” The co pilot asked worriedly.
“I'm sorry… My stomach…” Mizuno groaned, kneading the part with his hand as he tried to suppress the pain.
“Stomach?” Keitaro exclaimed. His mind began to run astray as it was his first time to see a pilot in that situation during flying. “Are you able to land?”
“I can't… I'm sorry… Can you help me?”
“Okay… Roger…”
“You'll take over now…”
“Understood,” Keitaro answered and looked at the primary flight display for information critical to the flight.Taking a deep breath, he held on to the steering gear bravely. “Landing in 10 minutes time.”
Landing was not supposed to be a one man's show. It was the product of the Captain and First Officer team work and coordination. Now, it was Keitaro all alone taking control of a steel bird with about 400 lives onboard. He had done landing before, in simulators as well as training aircraft. Even though in the training aircraft, there was also an experienced pilot on his side if he made a mistake. Yes there was a Captain beside him then, but he could only vocallyguide the co pilot. Keitaro prayed hard he would land the aircraft safely.
Keitaro then alerted the cabin crew. “I'm First officer Urashima,” He said. “The Captain is feeling unwell; I'm taking over the landing.”
“Ara, Urashima taking over the landing?” Natsumi questioned relaxingly.
“Roger,” Kentaro acknowledged with a smile and hung his intercom handset.
“Preparing to land on runway 34L,” Keitaro said as he saw the landing area clearly. “Entering Final Approach.” The co pilot reached for the throttle but was held back by the Captain.
“Oi, set the undercarriage first,” Mizuno warned.
“Understood.”
As the aircraft was descending, Keitaro bit his lips.
“100...”
“50...”
“30…”
“Stabilize and land,” Mizuno ordered him. Keitaro nodded and reduced the aircraft's power level. When the aircraft touchdown, the passengers' cabin were filled with shrieks.

The co pilot removed his headset after completing the post landing checks. Mizuno had looked better now, although the pain had started to cease. “Are you okay now?” Keitaro asked.
“I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused, Urashima.”
“I'll help you get the stretcher,” Keitaro suggested as he was worried the Captain may worsen his condition. Mizuno stood up hesitatedly and rejected his offer.
“Thanks, I'm okay now,” Mizuno replied. “I can still manage to walk.”
“Let me carry your briefcase then.”
“Thank you. I'm ageing these days.”
“Captain, you should see the doctor when you get back.”
Mizuno nodded and left. Keitaro returned to the cockpit to retrieve his stuff and check the instruments were in the correct settings for the last time before leaving. As he disembarked the aircraft, he was greeted by a young lady dressed in blue ANA boiler suit. She had her carnelian hair tied into two pony tails and innocent chocolate eyes that matched well with her tiny face. No doubt she was as adorable as Naru's sister, Mei.
“Please treat the craft with more care,” Was all she said.
“Hey, there was an emergency back then,” Keitaro replied.
“This does not concern the passengers and technicians.”
“Huh?” The co pilot brought his head nearer to her face as the surrounding was noisy. “What do you mean by that?”
“You're cack-handed,” She answered plainly. “That's what I meant. If you excuse me, I have some work to do. See you.”
Keitaro was speechless and stood there like a statue after hearing her sarcastic remarks. After she left, her supervisor approached the co pilot and apologized on behalf of her. “I'm sorry,” The supervisor said. “She's always like that.”
“It's okay,” Keitaro replied. “What was she thinking?”

Returning to the Narita Flight Service Station, Keitaro was informed by fellow pilot Izumi that he had gotten himself into trouble and he was required to report to the Operation Audit Room.
Operation Audit Room? What's that?” He thought.

Outside the Operation Audit Room, Keitaro took a deep breath and prepared himself mentally. It was an ominous sign that he was wanted by the particular department. There were rumors about pilots or cabin crews being summoned into that room were either sacked or temporarily suspended. It was only his first assignment as co pilot and had to face such a fate.
“First Officer Urashima,” Keitaro identified himself after knocking the door gently.
“Come in.”
As Keitaro entered, he an eerie feeling. It resembled like a room of an abandoned apartment with no power supply. The only source of lighting was from the windows where the sun's ray penetrated in. There were no other noise except the user's electronic notebook and the mouse which he was clicking at the moment. The spiky black haired man who was viewing Keitaro's e-profile identified himself as Kanda, a senior pilot and inspector of ANA. He stopped what he was doing and approached the co pilot.
“Urashima, please assist us in the investigation of today's incident,” Kanda said in a monotonically.
“Yes.”
Both of them sat across each other, separated by a long rectangular meeting table. Kanda had been interrogating him for almost half an hour. “What happened next?” He shot another question. Keitaro started to explain the whole incident.
“Then?” Kanda followed up.
“I managed to land safely.”
“That was totally upsetting and disgusting,” Kanda remarked without considering the co pilot's pride. “A pilot who can't even lower the gears properly is worse than an amateur.” Keitaro had shut his ears when the senior pilot started to reprimand him 5 minutes ago. The co pilot was already frustrated enough. His first day of work was screwed up. All he wanted then was get the investigation session over and return to Hinatasou quickly.
“You should quit flying,” Kanda suggested.
“But it had happened too sudden…”
“Because of that, do you intend me to forgive you?”
Keitaro answered by shaking his head.
“I heard that you are Captain Mizuno's student?”
“Yes.”
“The teacher is a trash,” Kanda commented Mizuno as he leaned back on his seat and directed his eyes to the co pilot who was glaring at him angrily. Keitaro had never seen such an outrageous person in his life. “What he produces is also a trash.”
“EXCUSE ME, WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT?”
“A pilot must be perfect. The Captain who controls the aircraft must be in a good condition,” Kanda stated. “During his work, his fell ill. It's a total embarrassment.”
“You're correct… But in that kind of situation, nobody saw it coming,” Keitaro tried to stand up for Mizuno. “Humans are not born to be perfect!”
“You can leave now.”
“I HAVE NOT FINISH,” Keitaro raged as he rose, pointing at the senior pilot. “DON'T YOU HAVE FLU BEFORE?”
“I have told myself if I ever have flu before a flight, I would retire.”
“CRAP!”
“I'd like to remind you again,” Kanda said as he got off his seat, packing up his things. “You're no exception.”
Keitaro growled, watching the irrational man leaving the room.

In the crews' office, the flight stewardesses of All Nippon 1501 were leaving after completing the necessary paperwork. Natsumi was sitting at a corner enjoying her coffee. “Ara, Urashima-san,” The older one called when she saw Kanako was about to leave.
The enigmatic girl halted and turned around. “Yes, Otohime-san?” Kanako asked politely.
“How long do you intend to be a CA?”
“Mm… Not long…” She replied straightforwardly and revealed her plans openly. “I'll stop when I get married with onii-chan! See you!”
“Ara ara…” Natsumi smiled.

“What's worst than an amateur?” Keitaro mumbled as he made his way back to the Flight Service Station. Surprisingly, he stumbled onto Motoko.
“Urashima,” The kendo girl greeted as she followed him.
“Hi, Motoko…”
“I have heard about the incident,” Motoko expressed her concern for the co pilot. “Nobody had expected that…”
“Yeah…”
“Urashima… Erm… Are you free tonight,” She asked with a pleading look. “Shall we have dinner together in downtown?”
“I don't think I want to… I'm tired…” Keitaro replied. He had lost his mood for any activities as he was busted by Kanda earlier on. All he wanted then was to return to the girls' dormitory and soaked himself in the open aired hot spring. “Hey, see you in Hinatasou!”
“See you…” Motoko uttered disappointedly. When she was about to fasten her pace to catch up with Keitaro, Kanako and the other cabin attendants appeared from her back, dragging her back.
“I can't let you tired onii-chan,” Kanako said, clinging onto the kendo girl's arm like a couple, trying not to let her get a head start with the co pilot.
“Why?”
“New pilots like onii-chan need enough rest!”

After parking the jeep, the Urashima siblings walked towards Hinatasou side by side. “We're back!” Keitaro greeted as he opened the main door. The residents who were watching television turned speechless upon seeing his appearance.
“What's wrong? We're only away for 3 days.”
With the exception of Naru and Motoko, the rest ran up to the ex manager excitedly. “Welcome back, Captain Urashima!” They greeted as Su delivered her trademark diving kick right into Keitaro's face, leaving Kanako sighed.
“It's First Officer!” Keitaro cried as he had reminded them umpteen times.
“Welcome back, Urashima-senpai!” Shinobu exclaimed.
“How many CAs have you date?” Kitsune followed.
“You didn't manage to crash the plane?” Sarah added sarcastically.
When Keitaro saw Naru, she blushed. “Welcome back, Keitaro,” Naru greeted sincerely. Although both of them had already broken up as they felt they do not belong to each other, she still cared for him, not as lover but as best friends.
“Thank you…”
Later in the evening, Shinobu had prepared a feast in conjunction with Keitaro's return and his maiden flight as co pilot. He was not in a mood to celebrate but managed to keep a weak smile in front of everybody. Just then, Kitsune had an announcement to make.
“These 3 days when you were abroad, I miss you so much,” The vixen said craftily as she embraced Keitaro, making Motoko and Shinobu threw their drinks out. “I think I have fallen for you. I want to be the wife of an airline pilot!” Kitsune then began to grope his ass.
“Stop it, Kitsune!” Motoko cried and pulled her back. “You're drunk again!”
“Ah… What's this?” Kitsune said amusedly as she saw a pretty stuffed plastic bag at one corner and picked it up. “Gifts for us?”
“Erm… That's…” Keitaro answered, scratching his head uneasily. "Yeah..."
The girls then quickly surrounded Kitsune. Sarah grinned at Su after seeing the plastic bag's content. The mecha expert then twitched her eyebrows in respond and fogged the spot with a smoke grenade.
“AH!… SU, SARAH. PLEASE STOP THATTTTT… STOP STRIPPP…” The co pilot cleared his throat upon hearing the girls' crying.
“Presenting to you,” Su announced, looking at Keitaro mischievously and cleared the smoke. “The Hinatasou Mermaids!”
The co pilot dropped his jaws and blood started to ooze from his nose as he saw Naru, Shinobu, Kitsune, Mutsumi, Motoko and Kanako dressed only in two piece colorful floral bikinis of different designs. Keitaro's face turned redder when he thought of a very showy kendo girl who had matured physically over the years.
“Onii-chan! How do I look with my bikini?” Kanako exclaimedas shethrew herself on her half-dazed brother. Seeing no reaction, she guided his hand to her top's spaghetti and undid the ties. It dropped. “Or do you prefer Kanako to wear a birthday-suit's bikini?”
Shinobu cried and ran away.
Mutsumi and Kitsune smiled.
Motoko and Naru eyes turned bright red. “Urashima… THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!” They yelled and delivered the Iron Maidens' punch sending him out of the lodge. Kanako cried as she ran after her poor brother who had just suffered his second physical assault upon his comeback.

Soaking himself in the relaxing warm pool, his aching and worn out body was relieved gradually. Keitaro closed his eyes and reflected what the female technician had criticized him earlier. He felt it was best to consult her sister regarding about his performance. The co pilot then got out of the hot spring and returned to his room.
Dressed only in singlet and shorts, he proceeded to Kanako's room, which was located next to Naru's.
Who can it be?” Kanako wondered as she the knocking on her door. “Onii-chan!” She exclaimed happily, opening her door that it was none other than her own brother.
“Kanako, I have something to ask you,” Keitaro said.
“Sure. Please come in.”
“What do you wish to discuss, onii-chan?” Kanako asked as she brought him a cup of green tea and sat next to him. She could tell he was troubled from the day's incident.
“My landing. How was it?”
“Why do you want to ask me?” Kanako shot back playfully, trying to elevate his mood.
“Because you're my dear sister and I trust you,” Keitaro replied, making Kanako laughed. “This is my reason.”
“I'll tell you honestly then…”
Keitaro agreed and closed his eyes, hoping that her opinion would be the opposite of Kanda.
“It was a bit rough. Some of the passengers were shocked. It does not matter whether you're a Captain or First Officer. A pilot cannot afford to make any mistakes,” Kanako reviewed as she looked at her brother, whose expression started to be similar when he was being screwed by Kanda. “He must be able to stay calm in an emergency.”
“Same,” Keitaro said as he pretended to be annoyed. “Same as him.”
“Onii-chan, did I say something wrong…” Kanako asked worriedly, holding his forearms.
Keitaro pat her head to assure it was negative. “No, you did not,” He smiled.
Lying on his bed, Keitaro reflected what both Kanako and Kanda had told him. They were right. He was anxious in the first place that he did not lower the gears properly like Kanda said. But it was not an excuse. Keitaro blamed himself for not being competent enough. “A pilot must be perfect…”

The next day in the Flight Service Station, Keitaro was previewing his flight plan which he received a moment ago. “Good Morning.” Turning around as he was greeted by a deep manly voice, belonging to a fellow pilot who he had not seen before. Equipped with a pair of tiny shades, he does not look like a local for he had yellow short hair and goatee planted on his delicate face.
“Are you the new pilot, Urashima?” He asked in French.
Flabbergasted by an alien language, Keitaro was searching for the correct words in English to tackle his question. “I'm sorry… I can't speak…” The co pilot answered brokenly.
“I can speak Japanese, dude. I am Japanese,” He replied and then introduced himself. “Captain James Saitou.”
“Nice to meet you. I'm Urashima,” Keitaro bowed and offered a handshake. “Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.”
“Thanks,” Saitou smiled and then turned grimly, rejecting the handshake. “I don't like you.”
Keitaro's jaws dropped. He could not believe became unpopular in his second day of work. First he messed up in his landing followed by getting scorned by a female technician and Kanda and then he was detested by a fellow pilot. It was too much for Keitaro to bear.

“The Captains have a bad impression on you, Urashima,” Saitou said as they were making their way to the boarding room. To his surprise, Keitaro was flying with the yellow head, who claimed that he `dislike' him back in the Flight Service Station, for his next assignment. “He seems to be okay…” The co pilot wondered what kind of chemistry they would build up.
“Is that so?”
Saitou then stood in front of his partner. “Being a new pilot, you did not attend dinners with the Captains and CAs.”
“I don't like that kind of gathering,” Keitaro answered dully.
Stealing a glance of the young flight stewardesses who were behind them, Saitou turned to his partner. “As pilots, it's our mission to organize dinners with CAS for the relaxation and freshening up the veterans!” He whispered.
Keitaro burst into chuckle. “This is ridiculous, Captain!” He responded jokingly.
“What are you trying to prove?”
“Nothing… Sorry…” Keitaro bowed.
“You're not fun at all.” Saitou replied and punched the co pilot's abdomen, leaving him groaning in pain. “Stop pretending, kid.”
“WHAT WAS THAT FOR?”

It was mandatory for pilots to inspect the exterior of an aircraft prior to departure. When Keitaro was checking one of the turbine engines, he found there was something not deep inside. Taking a closer look, it was a feather and he quickly extracted it.
“Isn't this a feather?” Saitou identified what the co pilot had shown him.
“If there's a chick grill inside, it will be disastrous,” Keitaro replied and examined the turbine engine again. Feeling unsafe, the pilots decided it was best to have the condition verified again.
“Oi, technician, have you checked that?” Saitou yelled as he pointed out the engine to the male technician who was then inspecting the front undercarriage.
“I have just check.” A feminine voice replied.
Keitaro and Saitou shifted their attentions to the direction where the answer came from. The co pilot was taken back of who he saw. It was the female technician who had criticized him the day before. Upon seeing her cuteness, the older one started to be like a playboy.
“Wow…” Was the Captain's first reaction.
“I'm Oyama,” The female technician presented herself. “I am the one who check this engine. Is there any problem?”
“No problem… How can there be a problem when a bishoujo like you checks the engine?” Saitou denied as he waved his hand for he was playing gentleman and tried to be lenient by not troubling her to check again. He knew she was busy enough and had other work to do.
Keitaro immediately turned to the Saitou after hearing what he had just said, as it was totally ridiculous. “I just found this in the engine,” The co pilot pointed out as he approached Oyama, showing her the feather. “There might be a bird in there, please check it again.”
“There isn't. I had gone through it clearly.”
“Please check. I don't wish anything happen to the aircraft.”
“There are birds in the sky,” Oyama stated simply as she looked at him without any doubts written on her face. “And it isn't strange to find feathers in the atmosphere.”
“I know that too,” Keitaro tried to convince her. “It's better to be safe than sorry, right?”
“As a technician, I have already verified that there are no obstructions in the engine.”
“Urashima, I have personally witnessed Oyama had checked the engine for 2 times,” Motoko added as she came over from the rear after hearing the debate between the technician and the pilots. “There shouldn't be any problems for sure. She is one of the competent technicians in our department.”
“Motoko, the final decision whether to fly this plane, is up to the pilots,” Keitaro started to raise his voice as he was already pissed.
Saitou then turned to the co pilot, who was looking elsewhere. “Since Miss Aoyama had assured us,” The yellowed haired said as he tried to bring the problem to an end.
“Captain, if you think it's safe, we'll take off as you wish,” Keitaro shot back disapprovingly. “You have the final judgment after all.”
Saitou looked at his partner and then Motoko and Oyama. He was in a dilemma. He does not wished to push the problem further as the tension between the co pilot and the technician was already burning. Saitou was afraid that it would hurt Oyama's feeling if the argument continued. On the other hand, he does not want an air disaster to happen. He chose to be on his partner's side ultimately. “I'm sorry,” Saitou requested, begging with his fists on Motoko and Oyama. “It's not that I don't believe you, but could you please do it again?”
“The Captain shares the same view with me,” Keitaro pointed at Saitou as he looked at the girls, signifying it would be futile for further argument. “Oyama-san, could you please double-check, or we are unable to take off.”
“Arrogant bastard…”
“WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY, BITCH?” Keitaro bellowed as he charged at her, separating them apartment was a few centimeters of air. “WHAT KIND OFATTITUDE IS THIS, MAN?”
“URASHIMA, PLEASE STOP YELLING AT HER!” Motoko stepped in between the two of them and backed them off.
“MOTOKO, aren't you the legal counsel?” Keitaro asked. “Why don't you say a word of fairness?”
The kendo girl took a glance at the female technician, who started to sob and then gave him a death glare. “Have you spare a thought for her feelings?” Motoko fought back.
“STOP BEING UNREASONABLE! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW WE (pilots) FEEL?” The co pilot puffed and shook his head frustratedly. “WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LIVES BELONGING TO A FEW HUNDRED PASSENGERS ONBOARD!”
“I KNOW THIS AS MUCH AS YOU DO!”
“I don't think so.”
“ALL YOU CARE IS ABOUT YOURSELF! DON'T YOU KNOW THE FEELINGS OF THESE TECHNICIANS?” Motoko raged as she stepped forward, jabbing her finger at Keitaro's chests. “SHE IS ALSO WORKING HARD SO AS TO LET YOU GUYS HAVE A SAFE FLIGHT, YOU KNOW? I WONDER HOW YOU BECOME A PILOT, URASHIMA!”
The co pilot's mind blanked out immediately after hearing his friend's remark. “Why are you still standing here? You have made her angry,” Saitou said as he saw the disappointed kendo girl turned her back and started walking away. The Captain smirked, giving his partner a hard pushsingle-handedly. “Go and apologize to her now.”
Keitaro who was still in a daze, yelped as he tumbled forward, knocking onto Motoko in the process. “It hurts…” The co pilot cried and opening his eyes, he saw Saitou and Oyama with their hands over their eyes. “What is it…” The Captain pointed out ahead. Turning his head to the front, Keitaro shrieked as blood shot out of his nose. His right hand was grabbing Motoko's black skirt which had been pulled down to her thighs, exposing her gorgeous butt which was beautifully lapped by her white cotton panties. He quickly released his grip.
“Motoko… I… It was unintentional…” Keitaro muttered as he started to back off. “Please… let me explain…”
“Unforgivable,” Motoko said calmly, towering over a trembling Keitaro. With her eyes growing bright like her sister, she walked towards the co pilot. “ZANGANKEN!”

After half a day, it was nightfall. Keitaro and Saitou were scheduled for a round trip to Seoul on that morning and they were returning to Narita then.
“What a headache…” Saitou yawned.
“We have troubled the passengers as the flight was being delayed,” Keitaro glimpsed at his flight plan and commented about the minor dispute back at Narita.
“I'm not referring to that but the girls,” The Captain replied worriedly. “Not only there was nothing wrong with the engine, you have also made Miss Aoyama angry and embarrassed, and hurting Miss Oyama's pride.”
to be continued.

A/N:
What will happen to Keitaro and Motoko after embarassing her in the public? Mizuno is planning to retire in the next chapter, how will Keitaro react?
How is it? I'd like to hear some feedbacks. Negative feedbacks are welcome too
Good Luck : )