Lupin III Fan Fiction ❯ Lupin IV ❯ Vol. Three/Chapter Nine: Trumpets of War ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Trumpets of War

Things are going to get messy. Someone has to dance to the sound of sirens. The question is who takes the first step?

It started with a horn. A horn in the early hours of the morning. Everyone in the city heard it. The humans thought nothing of it. However…

“Father,” Lyla said. The king didn't respond. He rose to his feet. The whole room held its breath. The king raised his hand.

“We send out the scouts,” he commanded. Lyla and her mother looked worried. They knew what was coming next.

--------

The first trumpet sounded in the morning. Just before sunrise. The scouts rode out in the evening. They were to report what they found the next morning. Fifteen men went. Everyone held their breaths as they waited. Lyla stayed by her mother. The king remained stoned-face. Who was going to make the next move?

War isn't that fast to start. It takes little things. One little push. One push and it goes to hell. War is easy to get into but hard to get hard. That trumpet kicked everything off. Now, everyone is waiting. Waiting for what was to come next.

The morning was quiet. Everyone tried to act normal. It should be fine, right? Right?

It's quiet in town. Too quiet. Lyla leaned on her window sill.

“I'm bored!” she complained. Lyla looked around. No one in the room. She looked out again. Would it be okay if…? The princess took a moment to think. Could she do it? It seemed so easy. No one would say a word. The guards were tending to her mother.

Lyla made her plans.

----------

What about the humans? How are they handling this pending war? They haven't noticed a thing. It's just an ordinary day. The trumpet meant nothing. Most paid no attention to it. Yet, there are always a small few.

Lupin turned his head.

“Did you hear that?” he asked.

“Hear what?” Jigen asked. His friend shook his head.

“Nothing,” Lupin said. “I just thought I heard something.” He looked out the window. That first trumpet's final notes faded on the wind.

War Will Begin