Macross Fan Fiction ❯ Robotech: Beneath a steel sky ❯ Chapter 6 - The Watch Dog ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

---- Chapter 6 ---- The Watch Dog
 
Deep within the consciousness of the SDF-1, the harmonic world once made out of the navigational alien cyber-data of space was no longer in its usual state. All the data, all the beams of light and information flowing around was disrupted by a storm of malfunctioning flashes and other interferences. Small objects that seemed to be entities in space were irregularly displayed, stars or any other paths never stayed where they should be… It was dark…
Floating deep within this chaos, the body of Lindsay Young is alone - A young woman wearing the same clothes as in reality, although slightly transparent and blue… Unconsciously surrounded by garbled images. Suddenly, her eyes opened widely as she felt a surge of energy along with a flash upon her - Woken with a shock. Astonished by her surroundings, her eyes moved back and forth like a child lost in the darkness… At first, she breathed loudly several times as she tried to fight against her disorientation…
“””Wha - What happened…?”””, she gasped several times as her mind said her thought… Starting to calm down, she started to notice strange differences… Why was she breathing? There was no need for it. Stopping her breathing immediately - She did not feel the urge for oxygen at all, despite the fact there it did not exist here. She looked upon her hands, which were glowing slightly in blue. Lindsay was still within the consciousness of the SDF-1 - but nothing was the same. Her mind was lost in a world of confusion… and there was a large gap between her previous memories and now - Somewhat amnesia…
Looking around herself, she only spotted the data in disorder and chaos. For now, her orientation was beyond control. She tried to rub her face, her own skin… but she felt absolutely nothing - purely nothing, as if she were a ghost. Trying to keep calm, she stretched her arms and legs out slightly, closed her eyes and slowly concentrated…
“””Interface…Logout…”& #8221;”, her mind said. “””InterfaceLogout”””, her mind repeated again…
Opening her eyes again, she noticed that she was still within this virtual world of the SDF-1's consciousness… Although she was not able to sense its presence at all. Looking around, she started to notice that her true breathing and the distant sounds of her heartbeat were gone… Only the hollow and faint noise of useless signals and her thoughts made noise.
A faint picture of her memory shortly appeared, although unclear and weak - She remembered the Reflex-Cannon of the SDF-1 overcharged and ready to fire… but then, she felt another surge of energy along with the same flash that woke her up that shocked her whole body - It was pain that attacked her whole body at once.
.
She woke up again in astonishment suddenly… Again in the world of chaos… Still transparent and lost…
Whatever happened to her just now, she must have just had experienced the strange phenomenon of `after-dejá-vu' - which usually happens when being far too long within the system. Having no heartbeat… No breathing, she feared that she was dead… But then again, she was still alive… somewhere deep within the SDF-1's consciousness…
Lindsay started to feel worried about her younger sister - If she was alright…
 
----
 
 
Main district hospital of the “Prelodae District”... Cafeteria. Many beds with patients stood every as doctors, nurses and other people tried to do their best to treat them. The cafeteria it self was a very large hall that had surely had the same space like a hangar. Practically every single vacant space was used to support anybody who needed treatment. Among the large group of people, a young man in a Veritech flight suit jogged past these active areas... Looking around for a special person.
“”"This suit surely is getting heavy..."””, he thought, “”"Man.... I should..."””
Mick's thoughts went cut as he spotted Roxanne Keldon in front of him. She seemed to be all right, sitting up on her bed, still with patient clothes on, thin cables connected to her body and a monitor showing a line going up and down, making *beep* sounds.
 
"ROXY…!", was all Mick could say. His voice was so loud that he accidentally gained attention of others around him - “…oops”.
She looked up surprised... "Mick?! You're here?! You're REALLY here?!", her eyes filled up with tears. The *beep* sound started to beep a little faster...
Overwhelmed to see her at good health, he immediately went over towards her and hugged her.
"Whew... I thought I lost you... What happened to you? You were first ok, then you started to panic... and next thing I was forced to fly through all the shooting around... Just to get you to a medic...."
 
"Mick...?”, the smile on her face slowly disappeared as she dropped her shoulders, “Haven't you ever heard of `PAS-Neuralis' ...?", she asked with a soft voice.
"Pass - what? Nah - never heard of that...", he said - sure that he never heard of such name, "What is it? Sounds like a sickness or something?”
"No... not really...", she said back to him, "...Well, it is a type of `sickness' which only female pilots have..."
Mick made a surprised face, "Erm...Only women?"
 
"Yes... Looks like as soon we get into space, we start to suffer our deepest fear", she replied and looked away... with tears in her eyes, "We just start to panic... and start losing control of ourselves.... lose orientation...”, FoxyRoxy was unable to stop her tears from running... She started to cry, feeling guilty. She tried to fight against her guilty feeling, but it was unstoppable.
 
Mick felt sorry for her and laid his hand softly against her face and turned it to his. She looked at him straight into the eyes with tears...
"It's ok...."
"It was a test-flight...", she said...
"Test-flight? What do you mean?"
 
She looked downwards and frowned… Mick crossed his arms as he listened carefully to her words:
"Nearly all women who used to fly Valkyries on Earth belong to the new `Venus Division' - To which I also belong. Ever since that last conflict against the Zentraedi, the RDF suffered heavy losses… It was a pretty tough battle that really raised the necessity for new recruits. Since the need for new pilots was more than urgent and since we lost our abilities in piloting Valkyries in space, the research scientists came up recently with a new solution and ordered us to fly in the backseat of recruits, who understood tactical evasion and basic Veritech controlling while we act as their gunner…"
 
As Mick thought about her words, the fog of mystery was slowly clearing up.
 
“…Even though we have flown for several years, we were just as overwhelmed by the battle as all of you were… I guess the `Syndrome' finally took control of us”, She rubbed her eyes, trying to hide her tears.
 
"Hey, Don't worry about - ", he said to her, trying to cheer her up and came closer until he was next to her.
 
" I... I am sorry, Mick... I tried to be a good...", she said, again another tear ran down her cheek, "but in combat... I lost my concentration... and brought us in danger... I even had a slight heart-attack... My pulse rate was up to 198 beats per minute... at least that's what the flight-doctor said when he received my suit data. If it weren't for you who brought me back as soon as possible, I would have suffered even worse…"
"Hun-dred Nine-ty eight???!", Mick made an astonished face.
"Yes... It still hurts.... it felt like as if it was about to explode...."
 
"Just don't worry about it ...", he said again and wiped one of the tears away from her cheek, "I'm just happy to see that you're fine..."
 
"Thanks Mick...", for some reason, she felt like to kiss him on the cheek as a thanks... She pulled his head a little down and did as she pleased, "... Thanks you..."
Mick blushed, "No problem...”, he replied, but as he spoke, he reminded himself about what was going on… “Foxy, listen - I afraid that was not the last flight we had together... .I actually need you again... "
"But... the `Syndrome'", she said, sounding discouraged, "I'll never manage..."
 
"No, don't say that... I trust your abilities...", he said - with a sudden confidence in his voice -, "I saw you once at the target training... and I know what you can do. Besides... It looks like our flight will be more a ground combat thing on top of the outer hull of the SDF-1... Somebody from the compound said that that
'bio-whatever ship thing' rammed itself into the SDF-1 - clinging onto the front part of the ship and now sent in a horde of those... bugs! The whole street here was demolished by some dog-lookin' beast and I was just lucky that I those doctors over there opened up the door."
 
".... You trust my skills?", FoxyRoxy asked, still with tears in her eyes. Mick felt strange as he stared upon this beautiful being whose career was a lot more striving than the last hour. Her red hair covered the side of her face she lifted it up again.
"Yes", he replied and wiped the tears out of her eyes "... I do... I trust them fully..."
 
His words gave her so much hope that she was unable to stop the flow of tears, "... Thank you Mick... If I could just stop crying... I am so happy.... to be here with you...."
 
"Don't worry... Roxy....", he replied back to her and thought a little... looking towards the sealed doors that were constantly being slammed by the beast outside in the hall. Taking a short look around, he spotted a group of men and women who seemed to be from the police - Lightly armed and all in the typical blue police uniform.
"…Don't worry... I gotta get you out of here, if we want to survive... I'm definitely gonna have to stick with the cops around here... and figure a way out. As soon as I find a way out of here, we'll be able to head too that bay and get to our Valkyrie..."
 
She looked at him - not saying a word... dried tears-lines were still on her cheeks... Although she did not say anything, Mick knew that she worried about him and his words...
 
Mick got up and walked away, stopped and said, "... I'll return... I promise..."
"No Mick, please don't go...", she said loudly, lifting her hand, “We are safer here…”
"I must... They'll be needing anyone who is willing to fight... and if I want you and the rest to survive... then I must fight. No matter what... I will come back... I promise..."
 
She knew she could not stop him...
She rose her hand again, "... Mick..."
 
Her voice caught his attention, as if it were her last words… He stopped
 
"Just ... be careful... ok?"...
He smiled and walked away.
 
 
Mick did feel bad about leaving her back, but he was sure she would be all right as he would try to find a solution for their problem. Walking towards the group of policemen who were talking together, while looking on a blueprint of the hospital, he told them that he wished to assist them in clearing up the building and getting the patients back into safety. Although surprised to see a Veritech pilot down here, they accepted his volunteering.
 
"So what is the plan?", Mick asked.
"Not only that...", one of the policemen said, "This place is running on emergency generators. The whole hospital building lost its contact to the main power supply ever since those things showed up and as far as we know, we've only got about two-and-a-half hours to get it back online before those emergency generators collapse, which would cause all life-supporting systems here of the patients to halt... We'll be needing it to get the communication lines here working, too, so we can call for help..."
One of the doctors next to them spoke up - "Not only that - We've got patients here who need the main power supply and are just barely surviving with the emergency power... so we're under time-pressure... and right now, we are trying to find out how to get through ... Luckily we've got a few blueprints..."
"And few small-arms... flashlights ...and a large group of volunteers...", another policeman added, " -which is great..."
"We gotta watch out for that four legged thing... It's pretty strong and quite bullet proof... Very tough skin.... It cost me several good men and women… Firepower is not the only thing that will save from that thing."
 
"Hmm, could I have a look on the blueprint....", Mick asked. One of the men handed over a large blueprint, laid it on a table next to them and spread it open...
 
"Well, so far, we've planned to climb through the ventilation systems in order to get to the room where we can relocate ourselves...", the 2nd policeman explained, "Over here”, and pointed upon the blueprint, “... and here is where we need to go”, and again pointed upon the basement area.
 
Another person spoke, "There's also another problem…”, and laid his finger upon the 3rd floor, the before-last floor of the building, “A few patients are caught in this room, too... We'll have to get them out first since one of them knows how to get the power back running. So far though, they should be fine. We still got a few of our men up there, too."
"Nevertheless, that thing out there the main problem, right? What do we have to defend ourselves?", Mick asked...
 
The 2nd policeman held up his sub-machine gun and said, "We've got a few standards - 9mm MP5D sub-machine gun like this one here... enough ammo - 2 PSG-1 sniper rifles... Several shotguns... and a few concussion grenades... walkie-talkies..."
"How did you guys manage to get all that stuff...?"
 
"Actually, we were called to head out to check out what was going on", he replied.
"We were called to bring some equipment, since there was a threat going on - until we came past this hospital - ... We've managed to gun down a few of those things...", he shook his head, " - but we're caught here now. It was already too late to call for any heavy enforcement units. As that beast was still makin' trouble somewhere else, we carried in all the things we could just before it came back…"
"That makes sense...", Mick said quietly...
 
"Are you sure you want to stay with that gun?", another policeman asked, pointing at Mick's right hand. Mick looked down and noticed he still had the handgun that was stuck in his suit pocket.
"Um, well", Mick said and looked up again, "I rather have one of those you have - sure I'll be needing it"
 
The 1st policeman handed him one of the sub-machine guns over and showed him the basic things he should know about, like how to reload it and how to safe and unsafe the gun. Mick also received several clips, including some for his found handgun, along with 2 concussion flash-bang grenades.
 
"Well then", Mick said and loaded his sub-machine gun, "I'm ready - shall we head out and take care of business", sounding self-trusting in a smart manor.
"Erm, we're not going to head out yet. Many of us need some rest… aren't you tired or hungry?", the man replied back
 
"Oh!", the rookie pilot said and felt embarrassed, "… Yeah… Now that you've mentioned it, I haven't ate or slept at all…"
"Get some rest and eat something, Mick", the policeman said, " - by the way, you can call me Sanjacobs. We'll get to you when it is time. Can't get to combat with an angry stomach, eh?"
 
"Man, can this guy read my mind?", Mick thought.
"Yeah, ok…", he nodded his head positively, "Get to me when it's time… See you guys later…” and strapped his SMG on his back. Mick looked around and spotted a waiting-line at the cafeteria. He then went back to FoxyRoxy after he got his tray of food.
 
FoxyRoxy looked over to him, surprised, but happy, "Mick?! You're back?", she said light-heartened.
"Um, yeah…", he replied back, "They're not ready for combat yet… Some are tired… some are hungry and tired…. Some are both… like I am", and smiled back at her.
"Well then, soldier-boy… sit down”, the young woman said back to him and moved towards the edge of the bed, patting her hand a few times on the bed and showing Mick where he could sit down.
Mick sat next to her, on her bed and started to eat.
"Mmhh, man... I haven't eaten in a million years...", he said with his mouth half-full.
 
Roxanne's facial expression went from a smile to a sorrow face...
"I still feel terrible what happened…", she said, "Was I the only one who fell into panic…?"
Mick stopped eating, as he thought about her question.
“Can't really tell you - `s far as I know, everybody suffered something… but I'm afraid your squadron suffered a terrible loss. `Spades' was killed in action… One of those alien projectiles got her…”
Looking at her in the face, she seemed frightened - and somewhat shocked.
“””Way-to-go, you idiot”””, Mick's thoughts said to himself - but reacting just on time, Mick immediately laid his tray of food aside and hugged FoxyRoxy, who suddenly cried about Spades… Unfortunately, they must have stood very close together…
 
Looking away as he held the crying woman, he thought about the others of the squadron, hoping that they were doing fine…
 
----
 
Not even knowing what was going on, a heavy conflict on top of the SDF-1 was in outrage. The battle was ferocious and it seemed as if there was no end to it. Many Valkyries were forced to stay on the deck hull in Battleroid mode and to assist other combat units. Patch fields of turrets, missile launchers and beam cannons fired without pause as they filled the permanent night sky of space with action and destruction…
Somewhere else upon the deck of the SDF-1, a red VF-1A `Red-Dragon' flew high above the hull as it received an urgent distress call from a Destroid not far away:
“”Hel - Help! Require immediate assistance -`Monster' is compromised! Lost all Spartan defenders! Destroid Commander and Gunner are down - I'm the only one alive! This - thing nailed me down and I can't fire!””
 
Looking down upon the deck, the Chinese pilot spotted a Destroid “Monster” being tackled by one of the many large creatures of the beast. Everybody knew that a “Monster” was a slow and heavy long-range artillery unit - and a sitting duck in close combat. Unable to do anything against its oppressor, the creature, whose size equaled the Destroid, swung its thick-armored `arm' like a fist, crushing three of it's four 406mm cannons like nothing… Several rounds of its heavy ammunition, debris and other parts busted from the side as the beast slammed its arm a few times against the torso and head of the Destroid. Lying helplessly on the ground, the Destroid had no chance but to remain with its back upon the deck.
 
Although his direct orders was to retreat immediately from battle since `Red-Dragons' were not made for close combat, the Chinese pilot knew that the remaining pilot of the “Monster” would not stand a chance. Immediately changing into guardian mode, the red Valkyrie flew a very dangerous curve as it tried to slow down. Achieving the beast as its target, the Valkyrie planted its feet upon the deck, having a free line of sight and securing itself for the major blast feedback. Firing simultaneously, all four barrels recoiled towards the back as they launched four heavy caliber bolts ahead…
Brutally pushed away by the shots, the body of the creature was powerfully tossed off its feet, flying uncontrollably away into space. Large portions of smoke and fire covered the beast as it hovered away from the hull and disappeared behind the edge towards a lower area of the SDF-1's deck. Lying heavily damaged upon the deck, the Destroid was neither able to stand up, nor to restart its vernier thrusters. Four very large empty shells ejected at the same time as the quad barrels of the red Valkyrie reloaded.
“”Destroid pilot!””, the Chinese pilot called out with a Chinese accent, “”Are you at good health?””
After a few seconds, the Chinese pilot spotted the emergency hatch of the Destroid opening as a crystalline cloud of air froze into space, along with a man in a HEC suit climbing out. Slowly jumping down, he hid behind his downed hulk and the parts of its shredded hull.
“”Thanks! You saved me just on time - I owe you one!””, the survivor replied over the slightly disrupted commline. Noticing several incoming signals, the Chinese pilot spotted a small swarm of creatures coming in from a high angle, definitely ready for an attack.
“”Destroid pilot - Stay under cover!””, he warned the stranded pilot who hid further away, “”We are about to be under attack!””
Trying to evade the incoming rain of the deadly blue projectiles, the red Valkyrie activated all of its hovering systems and maneuvering thrusters and hovered swiftly ahead along the area, trying to find a safe spot. The Chinese pilot had many difficulties trying to dodge due to the heavy and bulky “Gauss Catapult” cannons. For such situation, a Battleroid would surely be more efficient but due to the massive armaments of the “Red-Dragon”, it was restricted to fighter and guardian mode only - unless the pilot were to jettison all artillery systems… For which the pilot refused to do. Trying to protect the downed Destroid pilot, he insisted to stay and circle the area, hoping to survive - somehow. Stopping immediately, his Valkyrie took cover as his followers bypassed him from above - They were to fast to respond to his sudden halt. Taking the chance, he aimed the GU-11H cannon-rifle of the Valkyrie at one of the flying creatures and began firing… Although he landed a few hits from this heavy caliber gun pod, he only managed to down one of the many creatures that were trying to pursue him…
 
Suddenly, unfamiliar Battleroids landed around the red Valkyrie - Surprised by their looks, the holo-images of the cockpit glass revealed the names “`Rooks', `Cherry' - `Jester', `Sparrow' - and `Wiseguy', `Piranha'” in Chinese letters…
“”Looks like you could need some help, pal””, Jester's voice said over the open commline.
A female voice linked in, “”Cherry here, we're here to support you - Just keep under cover, over!””
 
Doing as they said, both Valkyries of Rooks and Jester leaped ahead, landed and started firing into the active “night-sky” of the SDF-1, trying to shoot down as many creatures as they could. Astonished by their efficiency, the Chinese pilot could not believe how easily they managed to suppress the swarm of attackers - hurling several missiles and rounds of ammunition upon the targets. Despite the numbers of enemies, these unfamiliar Valkyries were definitely turning the tide of this situation - at least they were able to get the enemy on the run for a while.
Standing next to the red Valkyrie, Wiseguy looked around as he tried to keep a lookout for any enemy targets that might try a second attempt. Spotting three enemy objects making a curve upon his screen, he was sure that they were up to something. Sitting just behind him, surrounded by several thin holo-touchpads and other systems, Piranha already noticed the suspicious attempt of the creatures.
“Crap - Looks like were about to get company, Piranha,” Wiseguy said as he quickly thought about the next step, “I guess we should -“
Ignoring his upcoming suggestion, Piranha immediately targeted the three objects and started firing with practically every weapon system they had - Streams of rounds, missiles and even shots of the head-cannon was fired upon the creatures, which performed outstanding erratic and evasive maneuvers. She kept all fingers on the trigger as the targets kept dodging…
This was at least the fifth time Piranha fired like a maniac upon targets, for which a chance of landing a hit was pretty low - Regardless of what Wiseguy had to say. Although from time to time, she shot down a few, he wondered if she were a better co-pilot for Jester, who was just as loose as she was.
“Damn it, Piranha”, Wiseguy shouted as he saw the ammo of all weapons running low, “- Stop wasting ammo! We ain't got much left!”
 
In fact, the ammunition and available missiles were almost depleted, only one ammo-clip for the cannon-rifle was left and even the numbers and symbols were already blinking red. At the same moment the last missiles were launched, she fortunately shot down all three targets - or at least caused heavy damage upon them.
“What's the big idea!”, Wiseguy shouted again, “You insane?!”
“I got them, didn't I?”, she replied back with a very arrogant voice.
But then, just as Wiseguy was about to respond back at her, he spotted another flying creature charging from high above - Perhaps one of those that were trying to escape Rooks' and Jester's suppressive fire. Focusing on the incoming target, he took control of the cannon-rifle. The Battleroid immediately took an aiming stance with its rifle… but as it pulled the trigger, only three rounds were fired… then came rapid `click' sounds. Looking upon the ammo counter, he spotted a blinking red zero stinging in his eyes like a knife. This was not good at all…
 
He immediately concentrated on his cockpit controls, trying to perform a reload sequence…
The upper part of the cannon-rifle ejected as the automated reloading sequence did its job, but Wiseguy was sure that by the time the last auxiliary ammunition clip would be loaded, they would be dead-meat by then…
“”You there! Catch my rifle and use it!””, the voice of the Chinese pilot suddenly shouted. Both pilots looked towards their left as the red Valkyrie tossed its 80mm GU-11H pod, which floated above the hull of the SDF-1, only effected by a minimum from the hull's weak force of gravity. Aborting the reloading sequence, Wiseguy immediately dropped both their cannon-rifle and ammo-clip and then caught the other gun pod. A few dark blue projectiles were fired, but missed them only slightly. At the same moment the Battleroid caught the pod, it immediately recognized its new weapon, recounting the ammunition capacity and aspects in an instant. Using the possibility, Piranha immediately acquired the incoming target, causing the Battleroid to once again to take an aiming stance.
 
Within seconds, shots were fired after another and as each round fired, thick hollow shells ejected from the side… Fortunately, the beast received critical hits … and floated lifelessly away, passing their heads above.
“What a close call…”, Wiseguy said and sighed. Indeed, that beast nearly had them - and if it were not for the Chinese pilot they would be dead by now - for sure. But then all the sudden… Just as he looked over towards the left, the red Valkyrie received heavy fire. Before the pilot could react, his red Valkyrie received several serious hits that made him somewhat unable to escape. A significant number of very large dark blue stuck throughout many areas of the Valkyrie… One of them penetrated the joint of the left leg, another one through the lower area of the right thruster and at least another few caused heavy damage upon the quad cannons, from which two were damaged beyond repair… The left side of the “Red-Dragon” immediately dropped towards the ground due the severely damaged leg. Both pilots were shocked as they suddenly saw the beast that shot the “Red-Dragon” down…
 
It was the same creature that attacked the Destroid pilot a while ago… Unfortunately, it must have survived the four hits… The beast, though showing slight damage, planted its feet upon the hull of the SDF-1. After it landed, it lifted its body slightly, which showed four very large dents in it - some of them still smoking from the explosives of the shots. There was a short pause between both the small group of Battleroids and the beast that was just as tall as they were. Frightened by its appearance, Wiseguy was pretty worried about how they were supposed to take care of this unusual beast, which just returned back into the “arena”. Taking another look down, he examined the downed red Valkyrie which constantly tried to retain a combat posture, but kept failing since one leg joint had a very large blue projectile stuck right through it and another one that nailed the right “foot” thruster into the hull of the SDF-1. There were many more damages, but he did not have the time to distinguish them has he started to her loud stops… It was the beast, at first walking slow - but as it made each step, it became faster and faster, charging straight ahead at the Battleroid of Wiseguy and Piranha - ignoring the other Battleroids of Jester and Rooks totally. “Holy -!”, Wiseguy shouted in despair.
 
Although they fired with the gunpod, the explosive ammunition had no real effect upon the tough armor of the beast. Wiseguy looked over towards the red Valkyrie whose leg was stuck like in a bear trap.
“”Hey, you alright?!””, he shouted, “”Get outta here, now!””
Anxiously replying, the Chinese man said, “” - Primary controls failing, I am unable to move from this position! You better get out of here before the creature is here!””
 
Wiseguy bit his teeth together as he saw the creature charging straight at them…
“”Wiseguy, Piranha - Get yourselves movin', now!””, Rooks shouted over the commline, “”Get that Valk' out of here or you're toast!””
 
Instead of doing as the others said, Wiseguy gathered all of his courage and pushed his controls ahead - causing the whole Battleroid to charge ahead, straight at the incoming beast…
“Hey, what the hell are you up to?!”, Piranha shouted, who was more likely astonished than ever. He ignored her shout as he concentrated on getting themselves between the downed “Red-Dragon” and the running beast.
He's insane…”, Sparrow said quietly…
 
The impact was imminent - but just before the Battleroid was about to bash into the more likely tougher beast, the Battleroid changed into guardian mode and ducked down slightly. Flying the cockpit between the legs of the beast, both wings and body of the Valkyrie knocked the legs of the creature away and over their heads, thanks to the low gravity grip between them and heavier object. Unfortunately, the Valkyrie itself sustained exterior damages as it bashed through as well. Just as the Valkyrie stopped somewhere further away, the beast levitated itself until it stood upon its legs again and turned around. Although it only had a head with a strange red eye, it surely gave an expression of anger - and that tricky move Wiseguy did really seemed to have made the creature angrier. Strange for them, the beast was now totally focused upon the Valkyrie of Wiseguy and Piranha, rather than attacking the downed red Valkyrie just several meters ahead. Again, the beast began another approach, walking at first slowly, then gaining speed, and making large steps ahead.
 
Taking the chance, both co-pilots of Rooks and Jester acquired the incoming beast and started firing streams of rounds upon it, along with a few missiles. Many shots ricochet upon its armor and it even ran through the missiles - constantly bashing through the explosions without any significant damage… Although they kept firing, they slowly began to understand that the weapons they had were ineffective and weak against its rather tough armor. Suddenly jumping upwards, the beast floated high above the hull and aimed downwards as if it wanted to perform a death-from-above attack by trying to land right upon them…
 
----
 
Somewhere in the Sterntaler District...
 
Robert got up when he started to hear loud voices, which sounded like a large group of people screaming. Still with a headache, he looked over to one of the mechanics and asked, "Hey, Frenchie! What's going on out there? That Minmay babe running around out there?"
 
"Dunno…”, the mechanic nicknamed Frenchie replied and looked out of the window, “I don't know… Wait... I can see people running away, some of `em look bloody", replied back, making a strange face as he observed what was going on outside, "…Looks like they're heading for the next district… man, they're running like hell!”
"What?!", the other mechanic said.
" Yeah…", Frenchie continued, "Hey - What are those things! I see these weird looking thing on tails… um, a large group of `em…"
 
"Huh?! What's going on out there - What do you mean with `things'?!"
 
"Um, those `things' look tall, got these weird thick looking shoulders… and um, some kind of red eye… yeah, red eye… and one of them -” , but just as he explained their looks, he spotted one the creatures gaining attention, which immediately made its way towards the shop. Getting away from the window in a hurry, Frenchie shouted, “- IS HEADING THIS WAY!"
 
The window he was looking out from shattered into several pieces, with one of the snake-like creatures splashing into the workshop. "What the hell is that??!!!", Robert shouted...
"Beats me, but it's got blood on him… ", Frenchie said, grabbing a wrench.
 
The creature suddenly leaped forward - heading straight for the mechanic before he could manage to swing his wrench. The mechanic received a fatal blow, making him fly backwards through the workshop. The other mechanic tried to charge ahead and attack the creature, but was hopelessly hit by multiple dark-blue dart-looking projectiles fired from its shoulders...
 
Robert, who was still lying on the ground, was too astonished and still too little weak to get up again. The creature turned itself towards him and started slithering closer towards him, slowly. He could see that its shoulders started to show oval bubbles getting larger with pointy objects inside. But just a second before one of the bubbles bursted, Robert heard a loud shout behind him, coming from the door.
"FIRE!!!", a deep and loud voice shouted.
 
A loud blaze of firing rifles occurred. The creature was hit so hard and often that it was swung violently through the room. Robert held his ears as he if he was hearing the sounds of several jackhammers…
"CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE!!!", the deep voice shouted again.
 
The sounds of thundering rifles stopped. The creature, lying against the wall with many holes in it, squealed as it tried to get up, but all its limbs were severely shredded. Within a matter of seconds, the red eye of creature began to get darker, until it went black and laid still. Robert, totally astonished, looked to his right and spotted a blue pointy object that has been shot towards him, but just less than a centimeter above his shoulder. He stared at the object that could have killed him...
 
"Bloody lucky", he said to himself and fell back - relieved.
 
A group of soldiers came entered workshop. A few of them ran immediately over to him while others checked the other rooms, clearing the surroundings. Robert heard several boot steps and voices saying “clear” - “Yeah, here too”… He looked toward both mechanics, one of them was still moving, but then stopped.
 
"Frenchie...", he whispered...
 
Robert heard some of the soldiers saying it was too late for them.
Then, one of the soldiers ask:
 
"Hey, are you alright? Are you ok?"
 
Robert's head was throbbing like never before... and before he could answer - he fainted. Deciding to treat him in the truck, the soldiers picked him and carried him outside, taking him out from the bloodbath...
 
----
 
Feeling another faint rumble throughout the area, Mick's head lifted itself quickly as he woke up from a short nap. It only took a few seconds until he recognized where he was. He was lying on a comfortable bed, hearing a constant peep-sound and had his arms crossed. Feeling weight upon his right shoulder, he spotted FoxyRoxy lying next to him with her head on his shoulder… She must have been so exhausted that she did not even feel a single thing. Looking away, his thoughts wandered...
 
“”"I wonder how the gang is doing..."””, he thought, “”"This is it… I could get killed on this move…””” - He looked over to FoxyRoxy again, who felt well-sheltered next to him, “””… She surely is cute… I must survive… - I just can't drop here now."””
 
She moved her head slightly.
At the moment Mick lifted his head, the lights of the whole area began to flicker and blink - then went back normal. Not a minute later, a policeman appeared and made a hand movement, showing him that it was time to go. While laying her head gently on her pillow, Mick whispered, " … pleasant dreams…" into her ear...then walked with the policeman to the group of men and women who were ready to move out.
 
"Hi - So you're Mick, huh? Glad to have you here - I called everybody over because it seems that our those generators are not gonna hold for long - By the way, your suit looks unusual - Are you a pilot or something?", the leading policeman asked him, who was not present at the first meeting.
"I'm actually a Veritech rookie pilot", Mick replied back.
"I understand...", the leader said, then turned around, making attention -
"Ok, It looks like that we're going to have to take care of that thing that is running around through the halls first".
"Um, sir, isn't that thing bulletproof?", one of the volunteers asked - sounding unsure...
 
"Yeah... but we're just going to have to lure it into it's death. You guys know the top floor with the large window at the end of the hallway? That's how we're going to have to do it..."
 
Remembering his run for his life, Mick added, "Hmm, our little puppy is quite fast, ugly... but not very smart - As far as I know. It just might work out…"
"We'll see about that ", another policeman said. "Let's climb through the vent over there. If we follow the blueprint, we should be able to get all the way up to the 2nd floor. Good thing they built vent-ladders."
"Ok everybody, let's move", the leading policeman said, waving his hand forward.
 
The group of 17 armed men and women made their way to ventilation shaft and started to climb through. The shaft was narrow, cold and dark and cost quite a lot of stress while climbing up to the second floor. It took a while until they reached their destination. The 1st policeman, who was at the lead, stopped above a room and looked through the ventilation gate. He kicked the gate down, jumped down to the floor and looked around in all directions, checking his surroundings with his finger ready on the trigger.
 
He then looked up and said, "Alright, Looks like the coast is clear. You guys can come down now."
 
All jumped one after another down to the floor. Mick, whose suit was not quite light, had a very hard and painful landing, but he was still ok. The 2nd policeman went to door and checked the hall up and down.
 
"Ok, now on to that blasted dog thing", the leader said. "This is the plan: The stairway is over there. While one or two people lure the `dog' up the stairs, a third one has to draw it's attention, so that the others can hide in a room and recover. He must then run on down the next hall and another one must do the same until we get to the top floor. I think that thing is stupid enough to run through the window."
 
The 2nd policeman just stuck his walkie-talkie away after speaking with someone and said, "... Ok, the people downstairs at the cafeteria said that it's trying to slam the doors again, so we can continue and get into position”.
 
"I'll do the first move", said one of the volunteers and rose his hand.
"...I'll run with you", another volunteer said. "I think we've about the same speed, eh?"
 
Most of the volunteers raised their hands to do the job. Mick, who was a little unsure about the plan, raised his hand.
"I take care of the last move", the rookie pilot said, feeling slightly nervous...
"It's gonna be a hard one alright", the leader added.
"You gotta let our little puppy run at full speed towards you. Right before he gets to you, you have to dodge him, somehow. But I'm sure you'll make it..."
 
“”"Somehow?!"””, Mick thought, “”"THESE GUYS ARE CRAZY!"””
After a few minutes, everybody got into their positions and confirmed themselves via walkie-talkies. The 1st-floor volunteers saw the "dog" running constantly against the cafeteria door. The 2nd policeman held his radio ready - ready to give the "Go" signal...
 
-----
 
Still feeling miserable, Robert woke up a little, but was still under a slight shock. He could hear and see a few armed men around him. One of the men was talking in his headset.
He listened...
“" -Corp.... Yes... We've had contact with the enemy..."”, the voice of the man said. "We've rescued one... no... Just him, we came too late for the other two... "
 
Robert could hear a female voice speaking - probably responding. The voice was coming out a shoulder radio - he could only understand a few words...
 
""Head on to the northern...sector 5-charlie-hotel... Civilian evac... requires more back-up..."", the female voice said...
 
"Ok we're on our...", the man said... - Robert fainted again.
 
----
 
"Ok, you guys... GO!", the 2nd policeman shouted.
 
Both of the men ran down the stairs and threw two concussion grenades to the "dog".
After two flashes and loud bangs, the "dog" turned around, growling mad . Both started to run back to the stairway and headed upwards - The creature right after them.
The volunteers of the 2nd floor could see both men reaching the 2nd floor and saw them run into one of rooms. The creature then showed up, stopped and started to look for them.
But before it could find their room, one of the other men of the 2nd floor fired a few shots towards the beast, gaining its attention. The beast immediately turned around and straight for them, running like a high-speed train.
 
The volunteer strapped the SMG on his back while running to the 3rd floor stairway - saying, "Don't look back... Don't look back..."
 
This volunteer also managed to reach the 3rd floor and to hide safely in a room.
The volunteer of the 3rd floor, who also managed to attract the creature towards him, ran up the 4th floor stairway - Unfortunately, he tripped making the last step of the stairs - losing time to reach a safe room on time. He could hear the "dog" running up the stairs. When the man reached the last floor, he could not open the doors in the hall. Running down the hall, trying to open doors while in panic, the creature also reached the last floor. The man was too nervous and in panic that he did not unsafe his gun. He knew he was cornered, with no chance of escape. He tripped over something that was behind him, landed on his back and crawled backwards.
The beast slowly walked towards him, coming closer and closer.
The volunteer felt a wall behind him. He knew that his death was coming closer. But then, he heard a few shots. The creature turned around. It was Mick, who was holding a smoking sub-machine gun, standing not far away from them, which meant that he was not at his position.
 
Mick suddenly spoke - actually talking right to the creature - "Hello my friend”, he said arrogantly and wove his hand at the creature, “remember me?"
 
He heard the voice of the policeman coming from his walkie-talkie, but he ignored it. The creature turned away from the volunteer and growled a deep and deadly sound, showing its mouth full of deranged and ugly sharp teeth... It's slobber dripping on the floor...
 
Smiling with a tough face, Mick started teasing the beast, "Oww, I am soooo scared. Come on you stinking little doggy”, and threw his gun aside, “Come ON! Come and GET ME!”, wove his hand, started moving and dancing around, “Come ON, DOGGY!”. He then shouted, “What's WRONG! Aren't you hungry, Lassie!"
 
The creature, who for sure did not understand what he was saying, seemed to become angry, growling even louder than ever.
Mick made more annoying movements - "You MUST be really stupid running against doors! You ARE THE UGLIEST MUTT I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!"
 
He pulled out one of the concussion grenades and threw it towards the beast, without pulling the ring to arm it. The grenades slammed against the head of the creature. Now, angry then ever, the beast screamed a dread howling cry and charged ahead towards Mick.
 
"Hoo BOY!", Mick shouted -He was surprised that he managed to draw it's attention-, Still, he knew what he was doing - at least he hoped he was. Running down the hall, He looked ahead - seeing the high glass-window...
 
Making another run for his life, he shouted towards the back, "... Ha ... ha... you... think... you... can ... get... me..?!.... You've.... mistaken… , my.... friend!"
 
Mick was just a few meters away from the window. He quickly pulled out his last concussion grenade and, this time, pulled the ring, but still held the handle, which delayed the priming until he let go.
He immediately stopped his pace, slid forward, fell to the ground - rolled and got back on his feet fast, since he still had momentum from running.
In a crouched position, just three meters away from the large window behind him, he could see the beast about 17 meters away from him. Mick got up and got ready to throw his grenade.
 
Smiling devilish, angry and quite out of breath, he gave a last speech, "...ok... Lassie...”, and gathered all his strength and wits, “FETCH THIS!”, and threw the grenade towards the beast. As the grenade flew ahead, Mick thought about FoxyRoxy - Seeing a short imaginative picture in his mind ...
 
“”"This is it..."””
 
Two seconds went by.
Mick saw the beast coming closer and he thought of FoxyRoxy - He covered his eyes with his arms and jumped to his right. A L O U D BANG and a BRIGHT FLASH occurred between him and the beast. The flash was so bright that it seemed that the beast was merely blinded and ran past Mick, jumping through the window. Mick, who could not see anything at all, heard a faint crashing sound of glass to his left behind him...
A loud howling-squealing cry... slowly fainted away... then a loud splattering, bone snapping and cracking - C R U S H - sound.
 
Mick moved his arms away from his eyes and opened them. He noticed that he had a high-pitch whistling sound in his ears, since the bang was so loud. Getting up slightly and feeling a little bit dizzy, he crawled pass a few pieces of glass until he reached the edge of the window and looked downwards, pushing a few pieces off the edge of the window.
He spotted the beast... which landed on the street... hard - with blue-greenish blood coming out all sides... It was still moving a little... Although Mick was deaf for a moment... He could slightly hear a quiet but still hearable death cry... then it stopped... along with the beast's movements.
 
He got away from the window, rolled over shattered window pieces into a corner.
He smiled towards the ceiling while lying on his back... then started laughing. A few familiar faces showed up. He saw policemen and some of the volunteers talking towards him. Mick saw their lips moving, but all he could reply was, "- Haha-haha ...... What?!" - Still having the whistling sound in his ear...
 
 
----