Macross Fan Fiction ❯ Robotech: Beneath a steel sky ❯ Chapter 7 - But I am just a civilian... ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

----Chapter 7---- "... but I am just a civilian..."
 
“Officer's Mess” of the Bridge Citadel…
The “Officer's Mess” was the perfect place for long-time duty operatives of the SDF-1 to have a break, have meals - or even have time to learn about the latest gossips. Similar to a gigantic cafeteria, the Mess was indeed a big hall that had much to offer. Filled with many officers and operatives of the Citadel, many conversations, voices and other noise could be heard. Worried about the situations happening around and within the SDF-1, many stood in front of TV monitors and other wide-screen images displaying reporters and news.
Although there were countless groups of uniformed men and women standing or sitting in front of the large monitors above, they all followed the news and reports from the same network: MCNN. But unlike the other situations the SDF-1 went through, many of them were shocked as they followed what was going on. Listening to the report of Miss Janette Arson, who held the broadcast sitting in front of a table with pages on them and an image of the RDF symbol behind her as she spoke with a clear voice:
 
“”… After the strange quake that went the whole city, many of citizens were surprised by the sudden jolt that caused casualties and accidents throughout all districts. Emergency organizations are working around the clock trying to support those who need help. Although the RDF usually holds information confidential, Admiral Gloval - The supreme commander of the SDF- ordered `State of Emergency' “”, She paused as somebody suddenly contacted her upon the small receiver in her ear and a page handed from the side - Although reporters holding broadcasts normally should not show any reactions, the message she received did sound somewhat urgent and worrisome.
As her eyes met the camera, they gave a strange glare as she spoke, “” L -Ladies and Gentlemen, we have just received word from the RDF and a contact to a live report from one of our correspondents in the northern districts. I will now read the message - `Citizens of Macross City, this is a message with high urgency directed to all onboard the SDF-1. The SDF-1 under siege by an unknown vessel and has been infiltrated by hostile life forms that are invading the northern sectors of the city. Everybody who lives in these sectors are in danger and are advised to seek the next group of any law enforcement or military group immediately. Avoid any confrontation with the invaders at all costs' - End of this urgent message. MCNN will broadcast a summary of another upcoming message from the RDF soon, but until then, we will now switch to… Reporter Hal Quentin from MCNN-3, north””. After a short image switch, the monitor displayed a shaky and unstable broadcast of a man in cover who held a microphone and tried to take a short look above an edge. His clothes was a bit dirty and even the man holding the camera had a shaky arm…
“”H - Hal””, Janette called, “”Hal Quentin, can you hear us?””
“” - Is this thing on?! Test test””, Hal's voice said loudly with many interferences.
“”Yes, Hal - Yes, we can hear you, but the transmission is a bit unstable. What is going on over there?””
Quentin seemed out of breath and under a slight shock as he spoke, “”I - I'm reporting live from the `Sterntaler' District… There are situations like this one here taking place all along the northern border -“, he made a pause and swallowed, “”These - These life forms are strange beings attacking everything that moves - killing anybody on sight! We, we just barely made here into cover - Those thing are shooting some kind of spikes - I don't know if - or - Very dangerousssss...””, the signal suddenly ripped and lost contact to the MCNN receivers.
“”Hal - Hal?””, Janette recalled, “”We're loosing your signal! Can you here me?”” - after a pause, the image remained with a snowy image, “”Ladies and Gentlemen, MCNN apologizes for the communication difficulties but I'm afraid our contact collaped due to overlaying communication channels - apparently. In favor of the RDF, it is urgent that civilians and any other innocent bystanders keep away from these hotspots…””
 
 
 
As Reporter Janette Arson continued with the broadcast, much concern and anxiety could be seen among the faces of every operative and officer who just followed the recent broadcast. It was a threat that neither the RDF nor the citizens were ready for, despite that this situation could have happened during the last Zentraedi attacks - yet the SDF-1 was caught off-guard.
Kim Young, who sat with Vanessa Leads and across of Sammie Porter, took a sip from her hot coffee as the other women turned their heads away from the monitors showing the broadcast. The three women took this break to recreate themselves a bit since their consoles were shortly being repaired due to minor damages, they did not expect that such an intensive horror scenario would happen within the SDF-1.
“Oh my… What is happening down there?”, Sammie asked, which sounded somewhat naïve.
Kim heard her words, but did not react as she laid her cup of coffee back on the table.
“I can't believe it either”, Vanessa replied at the same time she went with her hand through her hair, “- I mean, we are in total war with the Zentraedi - but now we are being invaded by a totally new alien force. That feedback surge of the Reflex-Cannon and the impact really caused much damage upon the SDF-1…”
Just as Sammie heard the word `impact', her shoulder ached in pain again as she laid her hand upon it.
“I hope the engineering teams can get those systems back online”, Vanessa said as she looked over towards Kim, referring to her, “Hey, Kim - What about `Lindy'?” Hope your sister's alright…”
 
A few announcements could be heard in the background, but they ignored them.
Even though Kim heard Vanessa asking something, she woke up from daydreaming and replied, “I have no idea about Miss Karen Young or the status of her health. She only woke up from her station and was brought away immediately - No idea if she is alright…”
 
It was very strange for both Sammie and Vanessa since Kim mentioned the name of sister with “Miss Karen Young”… Although they both knew that neither Kim nor Karen never really had a tight relationship as sisters, but they did not expect that it was such distance between them - as if they were total strangers…But as they sat quiet for the short moment, Kim suddenly laid her hand behind her right ear as she felt a strange feeling at the same spot and turned her face slightly away from Sammie and Vanessa.
Noticing her sudden reaction, Sammie asked, “Hey, Kim - Are you ok? Or did you hurt yourself during the impact after all?”, with a worried voice.
 
“It's nothing”, she replied quickly, though not looking as if she were fine.
“You sure?”, Vanessa added, “Looks like you really -“
 
But Kim insisted that it was nothing, “Look - I'm fine, you two -“, and suddenly lifted herself from the table.
“Hey - Where are you going?”, Sammie wondered…
“It's nothing special really”, Kim answered back, “just got to head to the restrooms - We all better report to the bridge. I'm sure Lisa will be waiting for us to appear as soon as possible - See you at the bridge, ladies” - Without any other words, she walked away, leaving the two women and her cup of coffee behind - Finding her way through the crowd of officers and operatives standing in the way.
 
Just following her movements as she walked away, Vanessa said, “Strange - I've never seen her acting like this before.”
“Well, she has always been quiet”, Sammie explained, “- especially when it came to talking about her sister. Sometimes I envy her for having a relative here aboard the SFD-1…”, and lowered her head. A slight feeling of lonesomeness went through her as she thought about herself. For the moment, she thought back, how it was on Earth, when she still had a family - until that very day when the Zentraedi attacked Macross Island, wrecking havoc among those who lived in the area around the SDF-1. Although her brother was the only unconfirmed casualty, she gave up all hopes for finding him… But despite her lonesome feeling, she still had hopes for one person…
 
“You're right on that one”, Vanessa said back to her, then pushed her glasses up slightly and shrugged - “but what really is confusing is why she mentioned `Lindy' by her full name… I never really expected that they would be such total strangers - They're sisters, after all - ”, though over-questioned.
“””…Lisa… Why did she call Commander Hayes by her first name and her own sister not... ?”””, Sammie thought - but then cleared her mind.
“Anyways - we better get going”, Vanessa continued, “She's right about reporting back”
 
Doing as she said, Sammie agreed and lifted herself from the table and began walking with her as she took another look at the monitor showing the reporter broadcasting messages with images of fighting Valkyries… Reminding her about a certain pilot, her heart filled with fear, as she felt worried about a certain person - A certain pilot who was out in space rather sacrificing his life for the sake of the SDF-1 and those within. Although knowing that it was his duty, she thought about the last meeting they had and her hesitation that caused her not to enlighten him for the feelings she had for him…
 
----
 
The raging battle upon and very high above the upper deck of the SDF-1 continued - Constant explosions and blazes of fire were everywhere... Flying right through the heat of the battle, a group of `Valley-Cats' scrambled as the invasion creatures of the “Invid-Exodus” attacked them. Feeling rumbles and flares of small missile packs exploding around them constantly, many of these young rookie pilots had trouble trying to keep themselves cool as the action became more intense.
 
“”Break! Break!””, Major Bronco shouted as he evaded the incoming shots just barely.
Not all were lucky as they splintered from each other - Loosing faith, one of the male rookie pilots lost his orientation due to the sudden attack… It only took a short matter of seconds until the creatures noticed his mistake and attacked the Valkyrie without mercy. Bronco turned his head, looking back as he spotted how the pilot did a crucial mistake during his evasive opportunity - and just before he could say a word, the female RW co-pilot shouted, “” `Over-G', `Over-G'!””, as the negative result for the high aggressive maneuver during the high speed flight took its place, making it impossible for the pilot to counter the motion, “”Loosing control - We're unable - !””
Too late - it was impossible for Bronco to count the streams of dark blue projectiles penetrating through the armor and the fuselage beneath like a batch of pins puncturing through a pincushion. Several negligible bursts of explosions tore pieces off the `Valley-Cat' as it lost more of its control.
Deploying its legs and arms, Bronco's Valkyrie morphed to Battleroid mode and started firing a stream of rounds upon his aggressors that were after him thanks to his skilled RW co-pilot Vikksdottir. Well-experienced thanks to months of intense fighting, he managed well in avoiding shots. Noticing the friendly units under his wing spreading out wildly, he needed to do something fast about reforming an offensive wing or they would suffer more losts - but just before he was about call out the orders, the voice of Airman 1st class “Rixler” shouted over their commline, commanding the few units Bronco was about to choose, “”Gralle, Peterson, McFarren - Engage guardian mode to lower your velocity and perform a `Loop-Five'! Do you copy?!””
“”You crazy?!””, Gralle replied anxiously as he kept flying back and forth, “”Slowing down will only get us sliced-`n-diced!””
Rixler kept swinging his controls from one spot to another and pushing and pulling the pedals up and down, only receiving single hits that caused minor damage - then he shouted, “”Just trust me and do as I say! If you fly any faster and try to dodge, you'll get stuck in `Over-G' just like Lynx - Now do as I say now”””
 
Though under tough stress and the threat of getting killed, they did as Rixler said. Following the maneuver they performed with his eyes from afar, he watched them slowing down as they Valkyrie fighters swung their legs out and started blasting ahead, making the group fly an sharp loop. Appearing upon his left screen, Rixler spotted a young female RW co-pilot - the youngest one of the whole squadron. For the brief second, he found it astonishing how such a young woman was able to keep cool in a situation like this, unlike the others freaking out. Looking shortly at the name in the corner, he read “RW - Val `Triss' Charming” as her soft voice spoke:
“”This is `Triss'. To all units - Our Valkyries are capable of using assisted targeting between each other - allowing the chance to lower the time needed for targeting individually. Setting short-range missiles to random targeting will allow us to fire-and-forget… Triss out…””
 
Enlightened by her suggestive idea, another female pilot appeared upon the other side of the screen and spoke with a slight Asian accent, “”Scarlet here - Triss is right! Trovski and I still have several packs of those missiles available!””
A Russian voice also added, “”We are currently not under fire - Ready to fire, but we require targets, over.””
 
Rixler smiled, as he looked back shortly up to Genesis, “You can take care of that, right?”
“You can count on me!”, she replied back and immediately got to work. Sliding her hand over the pad filled with several holo-images, she targeted several hostile units that were in direct contact of her flight group.
“”Alright - Everybody split up and form groups of three. Keep those bugs on the run and try to stay alive - Genesis is targeting them for you so do as Triss said! ””
Major Bronco smiled as he followed their plan… Proud to see that they were starting to work as a team...
“”Genesis here - Targeting finished! Fire at will!””
 
It did not take long until countless numbers of streams of small missiles were launched and spread all along the areas, individually following paths to several creatures. Aside from all the constant explosions and shooting of the whole battle zone, multiple explosions occurred - destroying many of their opposing enemies.
 
“”Alright!””, one of them shouted as they saw the positive results of the barrage. Getting used to commanding the groups of rookie pilots, Rixler and Genesis slowly learned the true efficiency of their Valkyrie. In fact, their flight group was starting to regain the upper hand against their aggressors, even starting to support other units who were outside of their squadrons. Despite the fact that there were a lot more creatures than RDF units, they were at least gaining a better result than the first contact… When suddenly, they saw large group of Valkyries appearing from the edge of the SDF-1 far below them…
 
Meanwhile, far below the fighting upon the deck of the SDF-1…
A damaged “Valley-Cat” Valkyrie that was thrown upon the ground slid several meters away. The Valkyrie showed multiple scratches and parts from its armor seemed to spark... Maintaining guardian mode, Rooks regained control and lifted the Valkyrie once again into a combat stance. Looking straight ahead, his eyes were only focused on the creature that was like a tall hulk in an arena. Not far away stood Jester and Sparrow, and Wiseguy and Piranha, circling the beast slightly as they tried to gain some thinking time. They all have tried every possibility to defeat the beast - Although their Valkyries were able to take on the smaller beasts, they stood helplessly against this armored hulk, which only waited for the next attack.
 
Private/Airman. Faye "Cherry" Blossom, Rooks' RW co-pilot, who was anxious and out of breath and ideas, gasped as she spoke, “I never - thought we would have to put up with - such a monster…”
“”Are you two ok?!””, Sparrow's voice called over the commline as her face appeared upon a secondary screen. Her image flashed and fuzzed a few times.
“”Ever been in a washing machine?””, Rooks snarled.
“”Minor damages, but we're still fine… ””, Cherry replied.
 
“”Damn, that thing is heavily armored””, Wiseguy added, “”How the hell are we gonna get this thing down…?””
“”Any ideas - Dunno how long that thing gonna stay put!””, Rooks shouted over line as the hulk slowly turned over towards his direction - but still held its position. Suddenly, the Chinese pilot, whose Valkyrie was still stuck to the ground, entered the commline, “”We might have a chance! I still have one of my Gauss Catapults ready. If you could try to distract the beast - I shall try my best to fire when it reveals a weak spot!””
“”Well, I'm up for anything!””, Jester recalled, “”Let's give it a shot!”” Taking the chance, Jester caused the Battleroid to lean forward and blast its thrusters ahead, causing the whole mecha to charge ahead at the armored hulk.
 
Though attacking without warning, the hulk immediately turned itself towards Jester's Battleroid, which was caught by its right arm. Trying to distract this armored brute, he shouted, “”Rooks! Get over here and try to grab that other arm!””
Just as the beast was about to slam its left arm against Jester's Battleroid, Rooks already reacted and caught the arm before it caused damage and shouted back, “”You got it!””. Trying to keep hold, they were shaken back and forth - So hard and heavy that both female co-pilots were forced to hold their seat handles in order not to be shaken against any pads. In the heat of action, the beast shot two of its large projectiles aimlessly into the “sky” - Luckily missing the head of Rooks' Battleroid by a meter, although it caught a certain amount of slime.
 
“”My Veritech is incapable of taking a firing stance””, the Chinese pilot reminded, “”You there - If you could lift my left side, I might be able to perform targeting with my last remaining cannon!””
Referring to Wiseguy and Piranha, he looked back and saw that the red “Red-Dragon”, though stuck on the ground and heavily damaged, still had its lower left artillery cannon available, only slightly damaged on the rear side. Responding to his call, he flew the Valkyrie over to the side and changed mode to guardian mode.
 
The “Invid-Hulk” fought trying to get its arms free again. It had so much strength that both Rooks and Jester had difficulties trying to keep hold of its arms. Feeling the side of red Valkyrie lifting, the Chinese pilot looked ahead and activated his targeting systems for his remaining cannon. As he did this, the cannon moved slightly, aiming straight at the beast, which was being tackled by two “Valley-Cats”.
“”Higher - just a little bit more… Hold it right there!””, the Chinese pilot ordered.
 
Just as Wiseguy stopped lifting its side, a row of several large bolts of ammunition slid out from the case of the lower cannon. The ammo counter of the artillery cannon went down from 20 to 1…
“”Hey, ya got an `ammo leakage' here!””, Jester shouted.
“”Yes - Only one charge left!””, he replied.
 
Zooming close towards the torso of the beast, he waited until the cannon aligned itself upon the designated target. When it was done, he demanded with his Chinese accent, “”Artillery cannon ready to fire - At my signal, both of you must release yourselves from the beast, or you will be torn with it!””
 
Several seconds went by and they still were trying to make an opening - when suddenly…
The pilot shouted, “”Now!””
 
At the same time he said now, both Battleroids were tossed away by the beast - Fortunately, the beast left its torso open, just perfect for the Chinese pilot to pull the trigger at once. Once again, the cannon rejected towards the back as it blasted the powerful shot ahead. Due to the sudden recoil and unsupported launch, both Valkyries in guardian mode fell towards the back since they were not secured for such a powerful draw back. Struck by the extreme explosive shot upon the torso, the beast was thrown again away from its feet and floated swiftly away from the deck.
“”YEAH!””, Rooks shouted - “”WOOHOO! Look at that punk flying!””, Jester added. They cheered as the beast floated far away and high above the deck… but then suddenly, it halted itself and stretched both armored arms and legs out. The explosive fire around it vanished as it regained itself from the hit.
 
“… Crap…”, Wiseguy said…
 
But then from the middle of nowhere, a group of multiple turquoise-colored shots rained from above... Slicing through the left arm of the beast and several areas upon its torso. As its arm tore off, a stream of fluids spread out… Just a few moments later, the arm of the beast landed next to Rooks…
"... Particle shots...?!", Cherry said - startled...
 
Rooks looked up, which also caused the head of the Battleroid to look upwards. He spotted a familiar large vessel with hundreds of Valkyrie groups, firing in all directions, shooting down many hostilities. Another group of smaller “Invid” creatures flew past their heads high above them - Along with several puffs of small explosive shots… chased by two VFD-1A “Dragnadayas” spraying them full with their flak ammunition. Just the looks in the “sky” above showed how the vessel slowly dominated the battle against the massive fleet of “Invid-creatures”.
 
“"It's the `Majestica'!"”, Cherry said - astonished but thankful for them showing up just on time... “” Along with some ARMD carriers! They're blasting those slimebags away with everything they've got - even with particle cannons! I can't believe it!"”
 
“”Now that's what I call a `Calvary'””, Sparrow added as she spotted several Valkyries dashing above their them, pursuing another batch of creatures. Chased by volleys of missiles, the enemy fleet made an escape… Fleeing back towards the vicinity area of the “Invid-Exodus” which stuck itself upon the frontal section of the SDF-1, several kilometers far ahead. Aiming the heavy cannon-rifle at the hulk with a single arm, Piranha was ready to fire… but just before she pulled the trigger, the beast followed the fleet of escaping creatures, diving under the fleet and retreated along with them.
 
“”I can't believe it either…””, Piranha said with surprised voice, “”They're retreating…””
Wiseguy lifted his eyebrow shortly since he was surprised that she did not fire at all. Many of the rookies standing on the deck were amazed about the sudden reinforcements.
 
 
Another large group of creatures flew past the small team of Valkyries, totally ignoring them.
The right screens of all Valkyries started to fuzz again. Commander Hayes showed up - Her image and her voice was garbled, but still understandable to a certain point:
""To all Valky … units. Fleet communications is currently being supported by the communication array of the `Majestica'. Enemy forces are retreating and are en route back to the bio-ship. All units are ordered to disengage and dock onboard the `Majestica' and the ARMD carriers. Active launching bays in the northern area of the SDF-1 have been evacuated due to infiltration. Replacement battalions and squadrons will launch from the 'Majestica' and the ARMD carriers soon and will maintain defense. Divisions “Armadillo and Venus”, Squadrons “Vermillion”, “Spector Rangers” and “Serpent Wing” are ordered to return to bay 9. Commander Hayes, out.“”
Major Bronco's face showed up on the other side of the screen, his face was slightly garbled and flashed a few times...
“"-fzzt- Looks like reinforcements finally arrived! Guess those that were surprised like hell"”, he said, “"To all units under my wing, disengage and retreat to bay 9 - Join my wing on the way back - Bronco out!”"
""Yeah! Right on!"", another squadmate shouted, who was somewhere else, “”They've got `em on the run!””
 
Rooks leaned back as he let go of the Valkyrie controls and thought about what happened. Cherry, who sat behind him, wondered why he hesitated to lift off.
"What's wrong? Didn't you hear what Bridge Command just said?", Cherry asked.
He crossed his arms - something was bothering him about the situation.
"...Hmm... It was a bit too easy...", he said, "I don't get it.... I just don't get why those thing retreated... just like that - "
"Well... I least they retreated...", she said, looking down to him, "They nearly had us on that one..."
"Yeah, we owe 'em....", Rooks said, looking up at the "Majestica" again. It was the first time in his life that he saw this ship in action. Its design was truly unique and gave the impression of mankind's will to survive. The battles above slowly called down and it was only a matter of seconds until the creature who remained in battle were overwhelmed by the superior force.
 
""Hey kid!"" - Major Bronco's voice struck the silence of the cockpit, ""Quit daydreaming! And get up here!""
 
Rooks snapped out of it and grabbed his controls.
"Yeah... Let's just get out of here...", he said, but just before was about to both pedals downwards, he spotted the leftovers of the hulk's arm lying on the deck. It was a disgusting view for Cherry, but Rooks lowered the Battleroid and picked up the arm, which still bled strange fluids into space.
“What are you doing, Rooks?”, she asked as she looked away.
“Battle-Trophy, hehe - Gotta get me a holophoto-shot for this one!”, he said as he caused the Battleroid to lay the torn arm upon its shoulders and lifted off.
 
“”Hey Jester””, Wiseguys voice called over the commline, “”Gimme a hand and help me get the Chinese guy up!””
“”Sure thing!””, Jester replied, frankly happy to help out, “”- Hope we get to fly sometime again with these guys. They pack a punch, eh?””
Jester's Battleroid lifted up the cannon-rifle, which Wiseguy dropped back then and tried to pull out the large projectile that nailed the right foot of the red Valkyrie to the deck. After pulling it out, it grabbed the other side of the “Red-Dragon”.
“”Thank you to all of you””, the Chinese pilot said, “”Our lives were in danger if all of you have not shown up.””
“”Sparrow here, calling Destroid pilot - What's your status? Over.””
 
After a few seconds, she spotted the pilot in a HEC suit slowly finding his way out of the downed Destroid “Monster” again, sounding a bit out of breath, he replied, “”Kevin Tracer, Destroid Pilot - Roger, Sparrow - I'm fine so far. Rescue crews already responded to my distress beacon and will evac me and this Destroid soon. I think you all can head off without me - Should be fine down here now with those bugs away. Thanks for the support - Hope we can meet up later!””
“”Roger””, Sparrow said and deactivated all weapon systems…
 
The group lifted off, joining the fleet of Veritechs filling the area high between the SDF-1 and the vessels above…
 
As hundreds and thousands of Valkyries slowly flew back, they began to see the aftermath of the battle… There were many losses on both sides - From Dead hulks of Valkyries and those of the strange creatures - and even more parts floating along, it was not that hard to see that the struggle was worth it.
 
Flying slowly at lead of the rookie group, the Valkyrie of Bronco and Vikksdottir flew ahead in front of the rookies who were talking about the events of the battle and Rooks' new trophy. During those conversations, Lieutenant Commander Vikksdottir, who sat in behind Major Bronco, started to receive a direct communication request straight from Bridge Command - though not an urgent call, it was sure that it was an important one.
Speaking in her usual Scandinavian accent, she leaned her head to the left a bit, looking over to Bronco and said, “Major Bronco? I have Bridge Command call us. Putting them through now.”
 
It took a few seconds until the image on the screen revealed Admiral Gloval, who lifted his face and saluted. The image fuzzed several times as he spoke with a firm voice, “”Greetings, Major Bronco.””
Returning the salute, the Major replied, “”Admiral Gloval - Greetings, sir. How may I serve you?””
“”Major, Lieutenant Commander - Congratulations to the success of the battle and hope you and your squadron are in good health. I wish both of you to report in to the Bridge Citadel after your return to the SDF-1 and await further orders. But before you report in, I must congratulate you to the forming of the first fleet-defender division of the RDF. You and Lt. Commander Vikksdottir will be the commanders of this unique division that consists of several subdivisions similar to the `Armadillo' and `Venus'. I must apologize to this sudden decision, but you will not be alone - You may choose your subcommanders and officers as well. The subdivisions will consist mainly of enlisted ranks, novice pilots and special Valkyries. As soon as you board the SDF-1, I wish you to inform your squadrons and promote and recommendations for the enlisted ranks, then advise them that their squadrons will be transferred to the `Majestica'. I am also aware that your men and women require immediate recreation, but it is needed that they are stationed aboard the `Majestica'. Lt. Commander Vikksdottir, I wish you to advise the women under your command as well. Have you both understand my orders?””
 
Both nodded and confirmed...
 
 
----
 
Somewhere in the far northern districts of the Macross City deck, a large number of motors could be heard...
Robert suddenly woke up after being shaken around. Looking back and forth, he spotted armed soldiers who were sitting in a row on both of his sides. The sounds of the motors gave him the hint that they were inside a truck. As he leaned up his upper body, one of them said, "Hey Major Goodings”, as he chewed a few times on his chewing gum, “Looks like our passenger is back from dreamland."
 
It was all coming back into his mind - He remembered that he was in the workshop before and that some creature crashed in and killed his colleagues.
Robert rubbed his forehead, "Ngh, what happened? Where I am?", he said as he felt a bit groggy. One of the soldiers got up and climbed his way towards the side of Robert, seeming as if this was the person called Major Goodings.
"Nice to see you ok", the man said, giving his hand. Robert hesitated, but then shook his hand...
"I am Major Carl Goodings, soldier of the RDF, 423rd armed division 'Pershing Rifles'. I am sorry... but we came too late to rescue your friends... They were severely injured by the time we neutralized that attacking creature..."
 
Robert lifted himself, still feeling miserable, "... I still don't get what's going on..."
"You seem to have bumped your head really bad", the Major said, "but our medics treated you already. Pain should be gone a few minutes…"
One of the soldiers with a red-cross band on his arm added, "Yeah, he'll be fine", smiled, then spoke further with other soldiers... The lost mechanic felt the truck bumping up and down... "Where are we going... what's happening?”
 
Goodings took a few seconds, thinking of what to say- then answered "Ok... but what I'm about to tell you shouldn't be told to any other civilians... I'm afraid you're going to have to stay with us for a while. This is something that not all civilians should hear. Some kind of ship collided into the SDF-1... but not just any ship... It's biological... you know what I mean?”
It took a few seconds until Robert understood what he said, "You mean... alive?... A `living'".
 
He continued, "Yes... It first collided with he SDF-1 - then sent in these creatures... The creatures have attacked the citizens.... We were called to defend the evacuation teams while they rescue and support any civilians we come across. That's why you are here with us - so far. Right now, we are still in the `Sterntaler District', heading `north'. I guess you have no other choice but to stick with us."
Robert remained quiet, not knowing what to say.
 
Major Goodings' shoulder radio made a frequency-scratch sound. Robert remembered hearing the same female voice a while ago. The commanding soldier held his hand to his headset.
 
"Yes? Major Goodings here..."
The female voice spoke: ""Umm... yes sir... This is Corporal Sarah Capricorn... You are near the hot zone. The evac point is hot. Many casualties and enemy presence have been reported. You are to deploy your squad and to support others in the area. I can detect heavy fighting in the region ahead of your position. Ground forces are engaged by the unknown intruders and have suffered losses. They are in need of immediate support.""
"Roger, Major Goodings out...”, he confirmed and then heard anotherd frequency-scratch, “... Ok you're coming with us... Mister..."
"Robert... Robert Jackson's my name - Technician", he replied back to him.
"Ok, Mr. Jackson. I think you'll make it if you stay with us. But keep out of action and let us do the job. Parker - ?”
Immediately interrupting his conversation, the soldier who responded to the name “Parker”, lifted himself shortly and said, “Yes, sir?”
“Get a `light BPA vest' for our passenger”, the Major ordered.
“Got it”, Parker replied and pulled opened a kit just beneath his seat, then pulled out a strange looking vest.
"What's that thing... A shield?", Robert asked, taking the vest.
 
"Something alike, it a Ballistica-Protection-Armor vest, light, Mark one. It should protect you well - but remember, just keep out of danger. I don't think I need to hand you a gun…", the Major replied back
"...oh... That's fine for me"
 
The truck stopped.
Major Goodings turned away and spoke to his squad:
"... Ok men and women, you heard Bridge Command. Let's support our allies and rescue civilians! Spencer, Benson!”, referring to one of the persons chewing chewing-gum next to Robert, “You two take care of our passenger, and keep cool. Just cover him and stay out of trouble. Everybody else, you know the deal - DO you all understand me?"
 
Loud and clearly, they shouted, "YES SIR!"
The soldiers and Robert disembarked from the truck. The scenario was quite devastating. Many people were lying on the street and blood was practically everywhere. Many building were either damaged or completely destroyed. Robert coughed a few times as he smelled the thick air around him. Far ahead, shooting around, screaming, shouting and other strange sounds could be heard. Waving his hand, the Major signal his troop and others, which also jumped off their trucks, to join him and move ahead. Akk troops ran towards that direction and saw fighting between soldiers and the strange looking creatures.
They could also see different vehicles, both land and air versions, getting civilians inside and taking off.
Robert once again coughed several times as he tried to ignore the disgusting view of the streets…
 
“This is your chance, Mr. Jackson - You wanna take your ticket out of this mess?”, Major Goodings shouted, then wove his hands towards one of the aircrafts lifting off… But then suddenly, right after a few seconds - The aircraft filled with soldiers and evacuated civilians was struck by multiple shots and streams of dark blue projectiles… Loosing one of its turbines, the aircraft started to loose on altitude and was forced to land… Unfortunately, its landing was far beyond a safe call as crashed into one of the buildings.
“What the hell!”, one of the soldiers shouted as they saw the heard explosions.
“-Bad idea for now, pal”..
 
“”Requesting reinforcements! Evac-Aircrafts are grounded as long as we don't take down bugs from the fields far ahead - over!””, a voice shouted from the shoulder radio of the Major and the walkie-talkies of the other solders.
Robert saw the squad shooting around. Two creatures, the same like the one who attacked him at the workshop, appeared far ahead of the squad. But thanks to the reflexes of the soldiers, they immediately neutralized their attackers. A few minutes of hard fighting went by and the squad managed to cover and support many civilians to get into evacuation transporters. Moving ahead, they entered a wide recreation park… The once thriving and beautiful place with trees and grass like on Earth was now a field full of craters, corpses and other devastating things… And even in these areas, intense action and firefights took their place.
 
Robert followed the group from one place to another on the fields as they covered another group of civilians and wounded soldiers. But then, Major Goodings saw something what he could not believe that was happening. A reporter… along with a cameraman in the middle of the field, hiding behind cover - just beyond their position was a child, who seemed pretty lost and who had no idea what was going on around it. Unable to escape, they were somewhat held down by suppressive fire from the creatures among the other side of field. Making their way through to them, Robert stayed
"Damn it! What's that kid doing there!", another one of the soldiers shouted.
 
Bypassing and trying to evade the shots zinging past them - They ran along the wreaked trees and other things on the ground. Robert surely was impressed how they managed to move ahead - first waiting, then making the next move from cover to cover. Reaching the reporter and the cameraman, the Major seemed pretty angry, as they were still a few meters away from them…
“This is Alvin Pascalli, live from the `Sterntaler' district!”, the reporter shouted, holding his microphone in front of his mouth as both him and the cameraman were down on their knees, “We lost our receiver to MCN Networks, but we are still capable to transmit and record what we are experiencing here! We are in a park, being under fire by creatures…”
 
Pascalli continued his speech until he spotted the group of soldiers and Robert reaching the people from MCNN…
“What the hell are you up to? This ain't the right time for a sensation report!”, one of the soldiers shouted at the reporter.
“Turn that thing off, punk!”, another one of them demanded.
“No - keep it running, Jake - We can't miss on this one, this time.”
 
Arguing at each other as they were in cover, Robert started to wonder how he could have landed in such a mess. But the Major was worried about something else. Looking over his shoulder, he spotted him looking at the child who just walked out of the small hole he was in, as the child spotted them… Walking out into the open area, right in front of the creatures that fortified themselves on the other side of the field… The space between the kid and their cover was far too wide before the other creatures would detect him.
“Crap - What the hell is that kid doing!”, the Major shouted as he spotted it walking ahead - at the wrong time, at the wrong place. Dashing immediately ahead, the arguing troops and the reporter turned around as the noticed Major Goodings making a run for it.
“What the -!“
Running as if he were running for his life, he sprinted ahead, between both covers, picked the kid while he was running and used own self to cover the kid. Dark blue projetiles flew - and Major Goodings was hit a few times. Several small shots smacked into his back and one against his leg at the very last moment he reached the recent hideout of the child. Just barely reaching cover, he fell down to his side - The child was fine, but Goodings was bleeding really badly. The pain forced him down, laying his back against their cover.
 
The injured Major bit his teeth together as he felt the pain...
Every single soldier seized their argument with the `sensation reporter', who immediately spoke as the other soldiers looked at their wounded commander, “Oh my god - Ladies and Gentleman, the soldier on the other side there was shot several times by the creature as - as he rescued a single child in the opening! He, he sacrificed himself for the sake of the child - Amazing…!”
The cameraman's recording was shaking, but he still was recording everything that was happening…
 
Neither Robert, nor the soldiers could not believed what happened…They were distracted by the reporter that they totally forgot about the child…There was no way the medics could get to him, - It was just too suicidal. The other soldiers were held back. One of the soldiers wanted to sprint to him, but was also held back by the Second-in-Command.
 
"Are you crazy, SOLDIER?! Do YOU WANT TO GET KILLED?!", the 2nd commander said loudly. He wanted to save the Majors life as well, but running through the open field would be to more than dangerous. Grabbing the small radio-transceiver on his shoulder which was connected to his walking-talkie, he shouted, “”1st Sergeant Wilson here! Bridge Command, Major Goodings is shot and heavily wounded. We need immediate medical assistance here, over!””
“”Capricorn here - Forces are in heavy combat, but I'm diverting a unit to provide backup! If possible, try to transport the Major to them! Over!””
 
This was not good at all…
Robert felt that if he would stay where he is, the Major would definitely get killed. Deciding to make a move, Robert sneaked past his "bodyguards", grab a medical-kit from the medic that was lying on the floor and started sprinting towards Major Goodings position.
 
"What the...", Spencer shouted, "JACKSON! Are you crazy?! You're gonna get yourself killed!"
 
Robert ignored him and ran like a madman. He could hear deadly "zing" sounds fly by and dark-blue lines crossing his path as they struck into the ground and past him. The dart-like shots smacked several times into the ground around his feet, just missing him only slightly. Robert jumped and rolled into the cover where Goodings and the child were - Healthy and a bit nervous at the same time.
 
 
"You ...? Here?", Goodings asked surprised...
"No time for talking Mr. ... I mean Major - Goodings... I'll try to treat your wounds..."
"I don't think you have the medical skills to treat me... but I think it's too late... I am bleeding from all sides..."
 
Goodings was quite bloody and weak.
"... but... We've gotta get you out of here...Major Goodings...", Robert said...
"It's too late for me... I've lost already too much blood... far too much...", the Major replied back, then bit his teeth together again. He was right, though… Robert took a closer look at him and the chances for survival was beyond hope. A small pools of blood was slowly expanding behind him although they were on grass.
"But..."
" No `buts'... I want you to -", the Major paused shortly as he felt more pain - "... We can't allow these - These bugs to kill our people… I've been in many battles, but I never faced things like these creatures…”
 
“””What is he talking about?”””, Robert thought - He knew that the city was under heavy attack - but the way Goodings was speaking gave him a cold shiver down his back, sounding as if the hope of the SDF-1 was in danger.
“Major - I'm sure we can get you out of here! Just need to get more of you men over -“, Robert suggested, but then felt Goodings pulling him a bit closer towards him.
“Jackson… No, Robert - Listen… You don't understand. The creatures we're fighting against are beyond all what the RDF ever encountered… You've gotta face the fact that I won't survive”, he coughed, “- survive this day… You and my men gotta get out of here.”
 
Handing over his rifle, which had some of his blood smeared on its side, Major Goodings explained:
“... It's a E14-Gallant Mark IV assault rifle... with self recharging cells - capable of firing nearly 4 shots per second and settable beam or shot intensity values right here... with about 75 rounds per energy cell... recharges slowly when not used... You'll need to put the energy cells into the belt so they can recharge faster... Here's where you can reload... and don't lose it... It's one of the best rifles a soldier can have... take it...”
 
The bleeding Major also strapped off his belt with a handgun on its side and handed it over.
 
"... I'm not a soldier...”, Robert insisted, “but I'm just a civilian!"
 
"If you want to survive... You'll have no other chance but to fight against this menace...”, the Major felt pain again, “... I don't know how much time I've got to live... but it's better I give you everything you'll be needing...” He set his shoulder-radio to a special frequency, then laid handed over his headsets and radio over to Robert, “... Using it is easy... I've set it to the frequency of the Bridge of the SDF-1... Corporal Capricorn will assist you with whatever information… ugh ... you need."
 
A frequency-scratch occurred. The voice of Corporal Sarah Capricorn spoke, “"Corp. Capricorn here...""
"Robert", the Major said, "Hold that button on the headset or on the shoulder-radio to speak and...”, another dose of pain was felt within his back.
 
Robert did as he said - "”... Umm.. Hello...?"”
""Erm, who are you? Who am I speaking to? You are not Major Goodings!"", the voice replied back.
Goodings spoke up, "Listen up Corporal! I am here!..."
“"Ooopss! Sorry, Sir! -"”
 
The Major continued, "Listen... I haven't got much time, so listen up carefully... I'm wounded and I don't think I'm gonna survive this one... The person you just heard is Robert... Jackson... He's civilian... and he's going to take my equipment.... and I want YOU to assist him... Tell him where to go... advise him what to do ... I want you to be his eyes, just as you were for me all my life long on this ship..."
 
""Y-yes Sir... but what about you...?"", she asked - sounding very worried...
"Don't worry about me...", the Major said, "It belongs to the fate of each soldier... kill or get killed... navigate him like I said... I know you can do it... ok.... It's just like the old days, Corporal... Remember to get me a beer when this is over... ok?"
Listening to his words, Robert noticed that they both were very good friends…
""I understand...""
"...and remember... I like it served cold..."
 
"Thanks for rescuing me, Major Goodings...", Robert said to him.
"Just call me Carl", Goodings replied back to him and smiled shortly...
 
Finally managing to get over to them, a few Soldiers met up wit hthem.
"Major, are you all right?!", the 2nd in command asked.
""...Major Goodings?"", Corp. Capricorn called out.
"He's dead...", Robert said in a sorrow voice...
 
There was a moment of silence. Only gunfire, explosions and creatures screaming from far away could be heard. Robert closed the Major's eyes. The kid Major Goodings rescued started to cry and held him. Sorry for the child, one of the soldiers picked up him up.
"It's ok, Kid. We'll bring you away from here...", the soldier said, trying to cheer him up...
“”"Thanks Major... I owe you my life... "””, Robert said in his mind...
 
Sniffs could be heard from the radio Robert had on his shoulder... Corp. Capricorn sounded as if she was crying... “"I hope he will find a better world..."”
"That makes two of us...", Robert added...
""Yes...""
 
The 2nd commander decided not to waste another second...
"Well, we better get out of here - but I'm not leaving him here... Benson, give me a hand to carry the Major... We better get him outta here"
"My pleasure and honor, sir!", Benson replied and helped him pick up the Major.
"Ok, Miller, you carry the kid, the others shall provide covering fire and get to that evac-aircraft. Orlando? Rachael? As soon as the others provide covering fire, I want you and a few other from the grenade teams to blast those god-damn creatures off the face of this district - Should give the aircrafts enough time to take off, I hope - Clear?!"
"Yes sir!", the soldiers shouted back.
“And don't forget those two foolish reporters either!”
Robert held up the rifle he received from the Major... Looked like as if it were ready to fire...
All soldiers got ready to run. Robert and a few other soldiers were ready to get out of cover and fire.
"Ok, guys, on `GO'... Three... two... one... GO!", the 2nd commander shouted.
 
Robert and the soldiers ran out of cover. He saw a few of creatures, but they were not ready - Thank goodness...
"Fire!", one of the soldiers shouted and pulled the trigger.
 
Robert aimed the rifle but did not fire - the gunfire around him distracted him... Many shots were fired. While the other soldiers had their rifle under control, Robert still had it close to himself, not firing a single shot... "Ok, enough shooting! Let's move!", one of the soldiers shouted and wove his hand, making a `charge that way'-movement.
 
Robert and the others ran as fast as they could. After hearing few launching sounds, multiple explosions could be heard as the ground rumbled several times…
“Toast those punks!”
As the soldiers ran by, a few of them pulled Alvin Pascalli and his reporter along with them, forcing them to run with them. Fortunately, it did not take long until Robert and the soldiers left the recreation park and made it back to the streets where the aircrafts stood. The transporter was an aircraft with two rotor turbines on both sides, having many civilians onboard. Robert could see a red cross and the RDF symbol on it as he boarded it.
 
"All onboard..?!", the 2nd commander asked and received thumbs-up from the soldiers - "Ok, PILOT, You can TAKE OFF! We got everybody we could get! Let's get out of here!"
 
The aircrafts turbines started to get louder and it took off. Robert was holding on a handle and looked outside. Since the vehicle was full, he was on the side of open door as the vehicle took off.
He felt relieved to be off the battlefield. The aircraft gained on altitude as it started to turn and fly towards the south. When he looked back, he saw one creature he has never seen before... One that was as tall as a building, hanging with long and very thick tissue-solid-fluid tentacles. Robert was unsure... He knew that this was not all of what he has seen so far...
All the sudden, they started to hear "zing" sounds. Again, dark-blue projectiles were flying by.
One of pilots said to hold on and to have look to his side to the ground. Robert noticed that there was a gigantic hole with a diameter of beyond 150 meters in the ground with water pouring like a waterfall down to lower unknown decks. It looked like something exploded.
 
"Whoa!", he shouted, "Look at the size of that hole! What happened there?"
"Yeah!", the 2nd commander shouted back - although standing next to him, the motors of the aircraft were loud - "I heard that one of the Veritech heavy bomber choppers was also shot down a long time ago, along with the bombs still strapped on it's hard-points! Looks like it also destroyed a main water line as well!"
 
Robert looked back down and said, "What?! It sure did make a large hole... I hope that...” - Suddenly, Robert heard a "zing" along with a dark-blue line missing his head ... as the aircraft did a light right turn.
 
But then, surprisingly, the handle and strap Robert was holding on started to feel loose. He saw that one dark-blue projectile shot right through his strap.
In slow-motion - Since the aircraft was doing a right-curve, the force of gravity forced him to fall out of the transporter cabin. The 2nd commanding soldier and a few others tried to catch him, but it as too late, they missed Robert's hand by a millimeter... After a few seconds falling downwards... Robert splashed into the water... came back up, and sucked into the hole while being in the waterfall...
 
"Oh no..............", the soldier said... as the aircraft flew further...
 
 
 
----