Macross Fan Fiction ❯ Robotech: Beneath a steel sky ❯ Chapter 10 - Troublesome ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

---- Chapter 10 ---- Troublesome...
 
Currently receiving the relocating fleet of units from the SDF-1, the region around the “Majestica” is filled with aircrafts, carriers, debris and disgusting parts of alien alloys. The first battle against the unknown swarm of creatures was already a tempting situation that nearly had gone totally out of control if it were not for the Destroyer's weapon systems. Levitating high above the SDF-1, the “Majestica” maintained its position, restlessly observing the beast… Hoping that nothing would happen as the fleet performed their orders.
 
Sector “Quebec-Lee” inside the Destroyer… Inner docking area…
The docking area was similar to a gigantic hall filled with vehicles of all kinds - loud and hectic as usually. There were countless areas like this place throughout each sector of the “Majestica”.
 
As this large-scale relocation operation took place, hundreds of transporters have already docked into this region. Though all have parked in groups and actually were ready for the deployment of the Veritechs and pilots, absolutely nobody was permitted to leave their ship for nearly three and a half hours. Each transporter was a large spacecraft, which had so much space that it could even transport a whole army of crewmen or vehicles. In this case, each transporter had at least one squadron or battalion inside and one certain carrier brought the whole “Marauder Gauntlets” squadron along with their Veritechs and pilots.
 
Slamming his flat side of his hand against the metal wall, Rooks looked towards the outside as he spoke angrily, “Damn it, how long are they gonna have us in this thing - They wanna let us rot in this thing or what?!”
He turned away and looked over to the other rookies. Many of them, both men and women, were having conversations - talking about practically every possible topic that had to do with the invasion within the SDF-1 and their first flight… but all in all, it seemed that they were not bugged by the long wait such as Rooks, who already lost his patience since the first hour. Others circled the radio system of the room, listening to the news and reports of both the civilian and military radio relay stations.
 
Rooks was not in the mood into listening to the radio, but he did see that a few of his fellow squadmates seemed worried about something. Feeling that he was not being heard - or more likely overheard - he turned himself around again and grumbled as he tried to figure out what was going on. They been for hours in their flight suits that he was really hoping to finally get a shower.
 
As the groups of rookies continued their conversations, Airman Elroy “Monk” Gibbs sat lonely not far away from the groups, actually hidden behind the stacked “Valley-Cat” Valkyries, staring moments long out of the bullock window. Although he knew it was forbidden, he held a burning cigarette in his hands, which has been slowly producing fumes around him. It was like a movie that kept repeating in his mind…
 
The very moment as he reversed thrust to avoid collision just before the loud crushing sound through the cockpit glass and the gush of blood splashed all around… And then the choking sounds of Spades, his female RW co-pilot, helplessly gasping for air. The dreaded sounds of death stealing any hope for mercy
 
His mind was so lost that he actually did not even take a single pull from his cigarette…
 
You are lucky that this spot is not covered by the internal smoke detectors…”, a cold but soft voice said from behind. Thankfully snapping out of his misery, Monk turned around and spotted that young woman - or girl - pilot one of his friends talked about. Rumors said that she was probably one the youngest pilot in the fleet of the RDF… nicknamed and known as “Triss”. She was still wearing the red and purple flight suit as many other women of her division. Monk wondered how she managed to find him without making noise. Though her comment sounded ironically, she was right as Monk's mind got back to reality for the moment. He looked at his right hand and found the cigarette producing a constant thin stream of smoke around him. In fact, he actually forgot he even had it in his hand.
He turned his back towards her, “Heh, ok, you got me”, was all he could say, dropped the cigarette and smashed it with his right foot.
Who said I would report you smoking here… I just didn't know that you occupied my spot”, she replied back to him.
“””Her spot?”””, he thought. Spades' painful voice echoed within his mind again.
Monk suddenly felt a short pat upon his shoulder. It was Triss' hand.
It's not your fault… I know how you feel…”, was all she said before she took a few steps back and disappeared around the corner of the Valkyrie.
 
A few minutes later, everybody within the carrier started to hear a loud speech of a woman that hollowed through the gigantic halls of the docking area… One of those “very important” speech from the bridge, they guessed.
 
Though not all could be understood, but they still managed to understand the main content:
“”… Due to an unexpected event, the sectors “Hildegard”, “Kenosha” and “Quebec-Lee” have undergone code: twelve fire control protocol, which unwillingly caused an immediately decompression throughout the whole ship. Although engineering crewmen have managed to retain minimal air values, it is advised not to operate in such areas for these values are far below optimal level. It is crucial to maintain the following orders. As soon as Veritech pilots depart from the transporters, class two oxygen masks will be handed out to everybody. For the time being, if you neither are in use of a HEC suit nor have an oxygen mask handy and suffer sudden dizziness or sickness, then it is crucial to visit the nearest sickbay - even after obtaining an oxygen mask…””
 
The voice spoke further…
“Well, I'll be damned”, Rooks snarled, “Guess we won't be leaving this place yet”, as he saw groups of mechanics and other personnel running along the sides of the transporters, carrying assets of mask packs.
 
Lt. Cmdr. Vikksdottir's skandinavian voice suddenly spoke over the transporter's intercom, “”Marauder Gauntlets? Be ready to receive the oxygen masks that will be handed out as soon as we depart from this shuttle. Please use you HEC suit helmets so the handout will not require additional time. Make sure not to forget your gear either. Once we exit the docking area, we will all meet up with other rookie squadrons to undergo another short briefing that will have to do with the your new quarters and the upcoming training unit. Vikksdottir out.””
 
“Man, this is getting' crazier by the second”, Rooks snarled again.
“Knock it off, big guy”; Cherry said towards him, “I'm already noticing the lack of oxygen in your head!”
Though the day truly was getting out of control, he knew it already began messed up at the moment he received his wisecrack co-pilot - but anyways, he actually had more luck with his assigned RW co-pilot than Wiseguy, whose co-pilot would shoot at anything that would dare to move into her sights. Nonetheless, Cherry seemed to have the same loose tongue like Rooks.
“Well, don't know `bout you guys, but I'm getting' my stuff”, Pres said, just before he stopped, noticing something in the air, “Hey, what's that smell?”…
 
---
 
SDF-1... Bridge Citadel…
Still covered by the darkness due to the lack of lighting, the crew of the bridge has already began getting used to the “night”. Hundreds of voices could be heard as they continued with their tasks. Corporal Sarah Capricorn, whose main task was supposed to stay in contact with Robert Jackson unfortunately lost signal and has not found a way to reestablish contact. For hours she has been scanning and skimming each possible frequency. Each effort of finding a decent line either brought her constant interference sounds or frantic commlines between the ground troops and the bridge. Already expecting the worse, she began to worry about this unknown civilian - Furthermore, she was worried since Major Goodings' last order was to stay in contact with the civilian at all times.
 
Meanwhile, at the rear bridge section, Admiral Gloval sat on his seat while having a conversation with one of the combat officers over screen phone.
"- So, what are your suggestions?", he asked.
 
The combat officer cleared his voice and said:
“"Sir, although Veritechs and Destroids can hold it out in combat against the creatures for a while, they still need more assistance. The hull is very large and wide, along with many things on top, as you know, sir?", Gloval nodded towards the man as he spoke further, "We should send out soldiers, armed with weapons and equipment for outer space combat. The Department has decided to bring back a forgotten project that was actually planned for Mars Base Sera. This project dealt with a certain armored suit that could allow our repair crews to work more efficiently in space and in hazardous environments. In other words, we could easily modify them for combat use. The `officials' of Mars Base Sera' did not see any need in expending resources for any ground soldiers since they have already began with the construction of their own heavy Valkyrie units for security and defense if needed, thus making any type of ground soldier merely obsolete - MBS did not seem to have any contact with the Zentraedi - but the UEG hasn't had any contact to MBS for a very long time… long before the Zentraedi attacks and the launch of the SDF-1."”
 
Listening to the words of the combat officer at the RDF Research Dept., Gloval thought shortly about the colonization of the red planet. It was mankind's first attempt of sending a large fleet consisting of a colony ship filled with civilians and scientists, escorted by two military cruisers, to a planet within the Solar System. The big event itself took its place during the long reconstruction years of the SDF-1. Though countless missions of unmanned satellites have confirmed no sign of intelligence or lifeforms upon Mars, it has been confirmed that something seemed to be hidden deep within the dark trenches of Mars, for which thousands of men and women have volunteered as pioneers to discover this mystery that rested upon the dusty world of the red planet. Mineral-rich and full of mysteries, the whole operation itself was yet a dangerous mission for everybody - both civilian and military… but despite the dangerous odds, everybody was confident about the colonization, someday living under a red sky.
 
Mankind was indeed proud that day when Earth received the first broadcast of completion of Mars Base Sera and colonization modules.
 
But then, as the officer mentioned the unusual lost of contact to Mars Base Sera, the face of the Admiral slowly went to a worried look. It was clear for him that the SDF-1 was obligated to investigate Mars and the status of its colonists, before venturing back to Earth… but until then, the first priority was to survive the infestation of the beast.
 
"Are you saying, that we could deploy them as 'space marines'?", Gloval said.
 
“"Yes, sir. Many soldiers already have had several hours of zero-gravity training. We could immediately begin with the production of combat suits, designed to use the gravimetric effects of the hull, which will be quite useful"”, the officer replied back.
"Very well, then begin the production. Do you have anything else to report."
"Only bad news, Admiral. The Spearhead District is vastly destroyed and though most of its habitants have been evacuated, the main terminal gateways to the bordering districts are still open and there are still 'Invid' creatures running around there, we have also had word that they are about to take over the Sterntaler District as well... Nobody can say how these creatures managed to overrun the whole district in such a short time."
 
Kim Young turned around towards Gloval and interrupted the conversation, "Excuse my interference, Admiral -", she said, "but I'm afraid this is something you should see, sir..."
"Ok, we shall talk later".
The combat-officer onscreen saluted then disappeared from the screen.
 
As Gloval lifted himself from his seat and walked over towards Kim Young's Engineering Control station, he noticed that the second EC station to his right was still not manned.
 
“Officer Young, where is Officer Porter - She should have been on duty since half an hour ago”, Gloval asked. Though he did not seemed pleased, there was no sign of anger in his voice.
 
Hearing his words, Claudia shook quietly as she noticed that Sammie was still not at the bridge.
“””Sammie - Where are you?”””, she thought - but then had an idea.
“Admiral”, Claudia called out and shortly gained his attention, “I have already pinged her badge-unit. According to her position, she must be on the way through the administration sector and should be accessing the elevator to Bridge Command soon.”
 
There was a short silence that went through the dark bridge section. Though it surely was not a good idea at all to lie to an officer of higher rank - especially not to the supreme commander himself - Claudia hoped she could at least buy some time for Sammie. The “Diamond Back” district was not far away from the military sector, but nobody knew where exactly this young and naive officer was.
 
"Let us just hope she will appear soon”, the Admiral then replied, “We need her to support Officer Young in her tasks."
 
“Yes sir”, Claudia said… and made a very quiet sigh for such a close call.
 
Gloval's attention went over to Kim Young.
Though wearing the common blue uniform of a SDF-1 Operative, which often is misunderstood as a low ranked person, Kim Young is indeed one of the best Operatives available when it comes to any interaction between the main bridge and all engineering decks below.
"Sir, it seems that the `Spearhead' and `Sterntaler' districts are drastically loosing main power...", she reported as the readings upon her screen showed decreasing values, including lines and colors loosing intensity.
 
"Officer Young, show me the mainframe of both Districts."
After she pressed a few keys again, the screen fuzzed shortly- making two 3d images show up next to each other. Several layers and connections of red lines filled the screen, showing connections to the local power plant that seemed to be loosing efficiency.
"Hmm, what systems might go offline if this continues?", he asked.
"Life-Supporting systems should still stay online, but at a very low operational level, I suppose. However, I am afraid that these districts will lose the Environmental-Supporting system, which would cause a the temperature to drop down drastically - but I am sure that the temperature will equalize itself with the bordering districts. The primary light systems will be offline soon, but there will still be enough secondary lighting. What my concern is though is that the whole communication net could be effected by this cause. It would affect our communication capabilities between Bridge Command and our troops greatly."
 
"What about the District's power reactor under those Decks? Should not have the engineers of that sector already figured out what has gone wrong? Raise the output of the power plant."
 
“I lost contact with them not long ago, Admiral, but I will see if I can do something”, When she made a check-up, she noticed something abnormal...
"...That's strange...", she said as she looked at the screen, "Although the plant is still operational, they totally under their main output... I'll try increase their output manually from my station." The screens showed that the output settings have been increased, but then went back to lower output again, down to a certain point "... Sir, the reactors are operating at an increased output setting of 98%... but we are only getting less than 8 % of its true output capability... This is very strange... It must be a malfunctioning... Should I overload its output, sir?"
 
Gloval was at first quiet, but then came up with a logical explanation, "...No... It is not a malfunction. You are forgetting that this plant is capable of supplying twelve districts at once, if needed. However right now, it has an output even less than an old nuclear battery... I am sure that the enemy has somehow 'sapped' the energy supply from this power plant..."
 
"'Sapped', sir? But that is impossible! The voltage power itself is dangerous when operating under normal circumstances. Anything that would come near and touch would disintegrate into dust..."
 
"Officer Young, these creatures have not shown their true strength yet. I am sure that they truly are sapping the energy... Listen, I want those reactors have decreased output, including the life-support systems, but leave it still on low-operational level."
"Yes sir", she replied back, not even thinking about questioning his orders.
 
Admiral Gloval turned back and looked straight ahead. Looking ahead, he could see the "Majestica" Destroyer and two other ARMD carriers holding their positions high above the SDF-1.
The "Invid-Exodus", although far away, could also be seen as well... Having its "tentacle-like" arms clinged everywhere along the hull, holding the SDF-1 like an octopus.
 
"""The beast has managed to take over one whole district and the next one is about to fall...""", Gloval thoughts wandered as he went back towards the commander's seat. The beast and its minions already proven sign of intelligence and Gloval knew that this was a serious fact not to be ignored. For now, Gloval was not worried about how the beast managed to sap one of the district's power plants - He was more likely worried for what for it needed the energy…
Logically, the beast seemed to hungry, having the need to satisfy its needs for power… but there was a certain fact that disturbed the Admiral.
If power was one of its needs, why did it not raid the Under Deck?
Why did its raiding minions fight against the resisting forces inside and outside the SDF-1?
 
Gloval pulled down his officer's hat and rubbed his chin as he tried to figure out what the beast was up to.
 
 
As the bridge crew continued their work, the bridge officers, mainly the women, threw a surprising look as Sammie Porter entered. Everybody besides Admiral Gloval turned around towards her. She smiled, looking happy and relieved. Claudia winked her right eye towards Sammie as took her place at her station. A moment of relief went over Claudia, who was glad that the lie was worth it. Shortly leaving her station, she walked over toward to Sammie.
 
"Hey Sam", Claudia whispered to her, "Did you tell him?"
"Yeah, did you tell him?", Kim asked... leaning over slightly.
 
Both stared at her - waiting for an answer....
Moments went by and both Claudia and Kim stared at this young woman who still did not answer… but her silence did not help at all. Sammie blushed. Her face went red like a melon. Taking a very close look on her, Sammie's appearance surely was not the best. In fact, her usually tidy uniform was outright wrinkled, her shoulder-badges were out of place and her hair was wild that it was simple to distinguish that she did not have much time at all. Just the looks of this young woman said it all. Kim and Claudia looked each other and started to giggle.
Kim whispered a little louder, "You mean you both...?!"
 
Vanessa ignored their conversation as they spoke.
 
Sammie remained quiet but nodded with her head positively as she hid her face with hands - which was still red like a melon. Admiral Gloval suddenly noticed the giggling and the 'silent' conversation between his bridge officers. They immediately stopped giggling and went back to their stations.
 
 
----
 
Consciousness of the SDF-1…
A flash…
 
Lindsay woke up again, her eyes glared into a deep darkness. Just a second ago, she had other choice but to float and observe the objects and signals dashing past her between the SDF-1 and the vessels above - but now, she was once again in the deep of emptiness. Total darkness surrounded her. The holographic woman looked around hectically, wondering why the consciousness brought her here - or did something happen? Not that she was afraid of the darkness, but she did feel fear… Or was it fear? Her own lifesigns could not be heard for a very long time and she was really getting worried if she was dead.
 
The thousands of voices talking through the communication channels could still be heard, although they were a lot quieter than before - somewhat far away… And she also had the feeling as if she were at two places at once.
 
No. She was not only in the darkness. Somehow, her mind was still at the same spot, between hectic areas of communication lines, surrounded by millions of stars and surreal mixtures of navigation symbols and within this strange darkness. Though she did not understand why she was here, she knew that it had a meaning…
 
Suddenly.
White lines spread out around her. The lines appeared so fast that she was scared by their sudden appearance. As the lines made their way, they started to reveal something… Now green lines went made their way around her.
“””Wireframes”” 221;, her mind said loudly.
 
It only took less than a few seconds until the wireframes and lines revealed something. A familiar feeling went through her. She was somewhere in the Under Deck, far below the Macross City deck… The consciousness of the SDF-1 wanted her to see something… but why here in this more likely forgotten world. The young Navigator looked around. Floating above the area, she could see that she was surrounded by hills of strange small objects. Their form gave the appearance of junk objects… As she looked upon herself shortly, she noticed that blue lines were constantly penetrating her blue holographic self. At first shocked, she looked upwards and saw the ceiling, which was several hundred meters above her. Other white lines shortly flashes above - Again and again.
 
Rain… Lightning? Why was it raining here…?
Her visibility, though having a wide reach, was limited since the wireframe lines did not continue, but nonetheless, countless hills of junk and rain-lines were around her. But then, out of nowhere, a silhouette of a human being walked passes her. Scared by the sudden appearance, she floated backwards slightly. It was indeed somebody… but she could not see the face, just a silhouette of a person walking his way, carrying a glowing object and stumbling over every small object on the ground. He, whoever it was, was carrying something and did not seem as if he was ok. The unidentified person slowly walked his way, constantly wiping his head, carrying an object on his back and longer one that seemed like a rifle.
 
Looking around again, Lindsay began to understand that this man was alone. The looks of this man told her that he was a soldier who was probably heading back to the colony area of the Under Deck - although she did not know where it was herself - but it was her best guess. She observed the man further.
 
He walked slowly ahead, slightly limping as he carried an object upon his back - and every time the man noticed something, he wielded the glowing object wildly around. He threw his aim so wildly around that she even thought that he was about to shoot at her, although she did not exist for him at all. It was not easy at all for Lindsay to stay calm. Suddenly feeling the need to look up, she spotted a single communication line being mislead everywhere. Now why was a communication line here? For sure, it would never reach whomever it was meant for… unless… was it meant for this man? The line was coming from such a high angle that it only could be somebody from the bridge citadel was frantically trying to contact this man.
 
His shoulder was glowing, resembling the same resonance signals like the common receiver unit of any other radio… thus capable of receiving a signal. The communication line was always misled somewhere else several times across the area, which only meant that whoever was trying to contact this man had serious problems trying to pinpoint him… Deciding to help out, she stretched out her arms towards the communication line. She knew that it was possible to capture and redirect anything that existed within the world of the consciousness… just for the cost of pure concentration. Deciding to give it a try, she began focusing her mind upon the commline, hoping she could redirect it to the lonesome man ahead of her.
 
 
----
 
Somewhere in the far northern districts of the Macross City deck upon a street full of debris and crumbled dust from destructed buildings, far away from the battlefront.
 
Two lonesome Veritech pilots rested with their backs lying against a destructed vehicle, surrounded by the results of wild battle upon the streets. FoxyRoxy started moved her head slowly as she began to wake up from her strange sleep. An unfamiliar feeling shortly went through her mind as she discovered the crushed buildings around her. As she moved up a little, her head bumped against Mick's chin, which caused him to wake up.
 
"""Wha- ...Damn, I fell asleep!""", Mick said loudly in his mind and looked around hysterically, """Whew- Looks like we were lucky..."""
Mick was right - They could have been ambushed while they both were asleep. It must have been the exhaustion since his first combat flight that somehow got back to him while he was guarding FoxyRoxy.
A hardly noticeable cold draft of wind went by.
 
“Hey Foxy, you alright?”, he asked as she slowly lifted her upper self.
She rubbed the side of her forehead.
What happened?”
 
For a brief moment, Mick remembered what happened as the hideous health problem stuck upon his co-pilot - The shocking experience of her nearly falling off the edge between life and death shot through his mind like a bullet. Though not expressed, there was a slight sign of fear that went through Mick for the short moment… but then he calmed down, thankful for seeing that she was a normal condition - at least he hoped she was.
 
"I had to revive you... You shook wildly - as if you were under electricity... and then you had no pulse..."
 
She looked away, as she knew what happened - "An acute nerve shock... I did not expect that to happen..."
"I couldn't dare to loose you, Foxy - To tell ya the truth, you actually scared me…", he replied and turned his head away shortly, checking their surroundings again. FoxyRoxy also looked around and noticed the dead bodies and other crushed vehicles - Whatever came through here seemed to have bashed its way along the street. She slowly pressed her back against him, as if she was trying to move away. He looked ahead and spotted a corpse several meters ahead, a dead tainted by a dry crimson fluid and several long dark blue darts upon his back. Despite this frightening scenery, he could not believe that he had overseen this rather disgusting view - Perhaps his worries for Foxy must have tainted his eyes. The corpse seemed to have a very negative effect upon her that even Mick could feel that she became unease as she continued to stare at them.
 
"We need to get out of here, Mick..."
 
Her words again made his mind work. They were on their way back to the Ft. Rico…
However, judging the looks of the streets, the pure terror itself must have taken its path right upon this area… and the chance of meeting anything hostile was high…
 
Mick helped her up. As they got up, Mick felt a chill passing his face and noticed a white cloud appearing in front of his face each time he exhaled. The whole place was not as cold before as it is now.
 
"It got pretty cold, don't cha think?", he asked, producing more white clouds with each spoken word.
 
FoxyRoxy wrapped her arms around herself. HEC suits, though space-hardened, only activate their inner temperature units when in space. "I wonder why...?”
 
She managed to stand normally without the dizziness she had a long time ago.
“Looks like I can walk normal too", she noticed and picked up her injection-gun. Pushing a small switch, the empty infusion bottle dropped from the rear side of the gun and fell to the ground.
“How long was I away, Mick?”
“Um, I'm not really sure myself”, he said back to her and looked upon his left wrist in order to read the integrated HEC suit cronometer, but once again, bad luck seemed to have followed him as he spotted an ugly crack upon the small display. It must have got broken that time he was at the hospital.
“Damn, my watch is messed up”, he replied and asked, “How `bout yours?”
 
She looked and then said, “Hm, guess we've been here an hour and a half at least. Can't really say how long exactly, kinda lost the sense of time myself”.
 
"We better get going", he said back to her. She walked ahead, but then noticed that Mick was not following. She turned around.
"Mick, what's wrong?"
 
Something was bothering Mick...
"I don't know, but something is not right...", he said, "- It's cold and quiet..." - He looked upwards and then to the back, "Cold... and far too quiet..." He spoke as if something was stalking them. Mick did not need to explain, as FoxyRoxy did understand his expression.
"We better get moving - fast!", he added as he jogged passed Foxy, pulling her arm.
Both moved fast, heading along the trashed street to towards the Veritech Barracks. Mick had the feeling as if they were being followed. As they began seeing the perimeter area of the barracks, the visible dead body count along with destroyed objects began to increase in a disturbing manor… as if they were actually following what made this mess - but Mick ignored the idea to stop.
 
The sign with “FT. RICO” was on the ground, crushed and full of holes. Fences and other solid objects seemed to have been crushed as well. Arriving at the guard posts of the Veritech Barracks - or what was left of it, they shortly stopped as they saw several compounds full of craters and holes. It was still quiet and it was slightly dark. They entered the main entry to the barracks.
Inside the barracks, the only things that were emitting light were the red auxiliary lights from the ceiling. Only clock-clicking sounds could be heard through the hallways... FoxyRoxy stood close to Mick.
The entrance was already open - the doors were several meters ahead that showed that something big busted right through. Both Veritech pilots made their way through the lobby. Once again, another cool draft blew past them.
 
"Hmm, looks like nobody is at home... What a mess...", he said as he noticed the floor having many pages, files and other bureaucratic things on the floor. The whole lobby and administration area was a total mess.
"Man, did the secretaries run amok, or what?". Judging the looks of the hallways, it seemed as if the people were in a rush to leave the sector...
 
FoxyRoxy just laid something aside she just looked at and said, "... Looks like everybody was in a rush - Oh my, Mick, if they evacuated the barracks and the whole district, then that would mean that we are in danger... We must have missed the whole evacuation while we were stuck at the hospital... We better get out of here as soon as possible... Those 'things' definitely are not far away..."
 
Mick rubbed his chin and thought about the situation...
"Hmm, let us head to the Veritech Lauching Deck", he suggested, "We could get our to Valkyrie -and maybe we're lucky to find somebody. I'm sure they wouldn't leave the place alone just like that... We're better off inside there then be running around like this through the district..."
 
Just for a short second, Mick felt as if he just had a dejá-vu... "This mess sure does look familiar..."
"As far as I know, it is difficult, rather impossible, to walk with a Valkyrie in Battleroid mode inside the SDF-1, since the gravimetric systems of a Valkyrie and the artificial gravity of the SDF-1 are not compatible...", FoxyRoxy reminded.
"Doesn't matter, we'll be better off in a Valk'", he replied.
"I think you're right. The elevator is over there...", she said, pointing down the hallway...
 
As they walked into the elevator Foxy-Roxy heard something from behind, then spotted a 'dog'-like creature far behind them... "Mick, Look!", she shouted... "What's that thing?!"
Mick turned around as well… shocked as he once again recognized the beast, which had the same disgusting looks like the one he met at the District Hospital.
 
"What the - , but it can't be ?! It looks like that thing that I just barely managed to kill back at the District Hospital...!", The creature gnarled and bit its ferocious jaw full of ugly-looking teeth together, “I hope it's not mad I killed one of its ancestor..”.
Not even wasting another second, Mick forcefully pulled Foxy's arm, entering the elevator with desperate hast. FoxyRoxy immediately slapped the button for the Veritech Deck. As the doors were closing, they saw the beast coming closer - charging like a mad bull running straight for them. Each of its steps stomped as it bashed through the obstacles in its way. Mick anxiously grabbed the submachine gun from his side and aimed straight at the charging beast. Just before he was about to pull the trigger, he remembered the last encounter he had with this 'type' of creature... The creature's skin was practically bulletproof the last time he shot rounds on it and despite it's ugly look, it only made it more aggressive than before. Shooting upon it would only be a waste of bullets.
Fortunately, the doors went shut and the elevator started to move upwards - not a moment to soon. FoxyRoxy shook as she heard the elevator doors under them slamming.
"I don't believe it! More of those... 'dogs' - Foxy, now we've gotta be very careful", Mick whispered towards her, “You have no idea how tough those things are”. Remembering that he still had a handgun in his suit-backpack, he pulled it out, along with a few ammunition clips.
As Mick laid the gun in her hands, FoxyRoxy looked up at him with a surprised face.
"Why are you giving me a gun, Mick? I'm a co-pilot, not a cop...", she said back to him.
Mick's face became a little serious, "But you know how to use it. Who knows what'll be up there waitin' for us - just be careful, ok."
They were looking at each other - straight into the eyes - again.
 
"You've rescued me too often, Mick. There is no way you could lose me."
 
The elevator stopped suddenly.
Mick felt the short stop and held his gun up, shouting "Now WHAT?".
A voice spoke - from the elevator speakers, "”Veritech Lauching Deck - Twelve A"”
 
"...oh..."
 
The doors opened up. They looked out of the elevator. The deck seemed abandoned, dark and quiet just like the streets down at the district. Again, only auxiliary lights emitted among the gigantic hall of the silent deck. Leaning out slowly, Mick spotted several storage bays and compartments exposed from the floor. Just by the looks of the area, bullet holes, streams of burn-marks along the walls and damaged vehicles told him that the major evacuation operation must have undergone severe trouble while both he and FoxyRoxy were still stuck at the hospital.
"Great - nobody here”, he sighed ironically, “I'm starting to hate this quietness", just as he spotted a few dead mechanics, "... Crap, guess we're not so alone as I thought..."
 
----
 
Somewhere deep under the Macross City deck...
-Slosh- -slosh- -slosh-. Robert's shoes were making these sounds each time he made a step. He has been walking in one direction the whole time, getting more and more tired. He climbed over many obstacles and swam past even more. The hard rain just kept falling upon him... a metallic taste... but not only that. Each breath stung his nose. After climbing up and over several large obstacles again, he found a spot to take a break. He turned around onto his back, looking upwards, still feeling the rain dropping from ceiling. He was too exhausted to advance.
 
Finally, Lindsay managed to direct the signal to the man's radio receiver unit…
 
Suddenly surprised by a familiar loud sound, his shoulder radio made a frequency-scratch along with the female computer voice saying, “”Communication signal locked…””
 
----
 
Also scared by the sudden sound in her headset, Corporal Sarah Capricorn also received the commline confirmation. Looking upon her screen, she spotted the name:
“Designated Comm-Signal found… `Major J. Goodings'”
 
Happiness filled her face as she shouted, “Woohoo, I found him!”, as she stretched her arms victoriously into the air… Totally forgetting that she was in at the bridge…
 
Oops”, she said, embarrassed by her loud shout as several operatives turned around and looked upon her.
Blushing as the sights of other officers turned over to her direction, she immediately sunk her head behind her console pads.
 
----
 
Robert then heard the voice of Sarah Capricorn. Her voice, although was garbled up in the messy frequency-signal, making it hard to understand what she was trying to say.
 
""fzzzchhhhhzzz...you..chhzzt...me...krrhhzzzzt...I repea....ffffffzzzzzzzrrrrshhhh..."", the radio said.
"Hey - H-Hello? I can hear you, but a lot of inferences...", he replied back.
""Chhhhtzzzz....happy..Fshshhhhzzzshchhhh..you...Whhhzzt...I.. .Tzzzz...idea...feshhhzttt Hold on a sec fsttzzzzt""
"Was that `hold on a sec'? ", he asked himself...
 
Robert lifted himself a bit and then sat down - still trying to keep aware of his surrounds as he nervously waited for Sarah to speak. Then heard her voice, which sounded a little better, but still with major interferences in the background.
 
""Can you hear me better, over?"", Sarah transmitted.
"Yeah, I can hear you, a lot better - but still with loud noises...", Robert said.
He was happy to hear her voice, finally hearing a human being after all the mess he went through...
""I finally managed to pinpoint your signal... Geez, I had to power up my frequency to an insane level in order reach you! My supervising commander is going to kill me if he finds out how much energy I'm burning right now! But nevermind that. WHERE ARE YOU?! I've been searching for you and your signal for hours! Normally, I could find Goodings' radio signal by just receiving his recall signal, but instead I end up nearly scanning the whole ship!""
 
Robert looked around.
"Where I am?...", he said as he looked around… His face kept a firm look, "- Actually, I dunno even know myself - but as far as I can tell: I was on a transporter along with civilians and Major Goodings' soldiers. On the flight back, I was holding on a strap and was on the far outside. But then some sharp thing flew past my head, ripped the strap and I fell into water... Umm, It was a very large hole, which had water streaming downwards. The soldier who was at command told me a heavy armed chopper crashed and it's bombs exploded, ripping a hole through the ground, before I actually fell inside..."
""You mean.. -fzzt- You fell into that HOLE?!"", she asked surprised...
"Yeah, and it was a hell of a ride.. I mean, swim. I went down very deep... I don't know how long I've been in the water..."
""What? You must be joking! How does the area look like?"", she asked back.
 
"I am somewhere... I don't know where... Somewhere way deep under the city..."
 
“”Did you say deep?””
 
“…Way deep…”
 
""Don't tell me that you're somewhere down in the `Sub Deck'? But that is actually impossible... not even the RDF has explored the whole ship - They've only discovered one main access! Only a few, umm, 'outpost bases' and one major colony are down there, more likely a research base actually, including colonists, scientists, a few soldiers and research teams... but never the less, only once active access area exits, but I can't tell you where - Confidential Information - So confidential that only the bridge officers knows about the whereabouts... or `whatabouts', if you ask me…"", Sarah replied back to him.
 
"Well I fell through the second new access way - if you want to put it that way”, Robert called back ironically, “There are people down here? This place is a total wreckage, a junkyard - How the heck can there be bases down here?", he said, slightly annoyed by the constant rain.
""Yeah, but maybe that's where you should probably go now ... but umm, let me think...You must be very very deep under the Spearhead District, I guess. That means you should head southwards...""
 
Once again, he took a look around... "How am I supposed to find south? I don't even know where I am!"
""I need to get a mainframe print of that area where you are... no... that wouldn't help... I don't think that would help. We don't know a thing about what is down there or how it looks like. I think you are the first person to see things down there in that area. But so far I know, railways connect the outposts and the main base. The colonists have sent out special robots to build rails between the bases a long time ago and as far as I know, there should be a few sub-trains around there.""
"That sounds good... How am I supposed to get there? This place is definitely crawling with those... those 'bugs'..."
""Now that you mention them - Let me tell you a few things. Those `bugs' have a name... We have figured out that they are called 'Invid'... and that large ship that made that impact is the 'Invid-Exodus'. The 'Invid' creatures which have been terrorizing the Districts are classified as "Invid-Shardlings" - the ones that shoot spikes... expected to be very dangerous.""
 
"Hmm, 'Shardlings'... This is getting more confusing by the second", Robert said, "That name says it all. I met a few of those already, and yes, they're deadly alright... those were the ones which killed Major Goodings..."
""I see. I guess your main priority now is to find the main base and get in touch with the people there. Although they might be a bit skeptical of a civilian popping up from the middle of nowhere, they'll should provide you with help and will surely get you out of there. Have you tried to transmit a signal? A simple option that should allow you to ping and pinpoint radio transmitters in the area down there.""
 
Robert quickly wiped his face again.
"I tried reaching you actually, but it seems as if the transmitter is damaged... It got quite a lot of water inside, too."
""No need to worry about the water, Mr. Jackson, but I guess you are right. But let me ask you a question - How does your surroundings look like?""
 
Robert took another look around - trying to find anything noticable...
"That's the strange thing about this place. Although it is pitch dark, I can still see walls, surfaces and stuff like that... As if the things here were glowing... This…”, he paused shortly, the took a short breath before he continued his speech, “This deck is damn large. Quite wide, vast and high... and that's not all, it's raining like hell down here and the ceiling way up there seems to be damaged as well. Like a rain-shower. I-I can see some electric-flashes and even thicker lightning blazes constantly cracking up there... With all this junk all around me, I kinda wonder why none of those bolts have struck down upon me already…"
 
""Rain...? Hmm, that must be the one of the several damages the SDF-1 has sustained from that impact - One of the major damages was that the water-supply lines have been breached.""
"Guess you're right - but I'm too tired to go on. I've been walking and swimming for hours..."
“”Assuming that you still have Major Goodings' gear, do you still have that rifle and know how to operate it?””
He looked upon the rifle and replied, “Yeah - Yeah, still got it. He said it was proto… what-ever charged Gall… `Gallent' or `Gallant', I dunno - but I know how to use these cell-things.”
“”Let me advise you a bit more in the use of that rifle. According to my knowledge, you must be carrying a Mark-Four E-Fourteen Gallant Assault Rifle, one of the best rifles the Robotech Army has to offer for high ranked soldiers - Enough to say that you're carrying quite powerful technology in your hands, Jackson. It has several settings, which can easily be set by your left or right hand in an instant.””
Taking a quick look upon the rifle, he did spot two ways of setting the rifle along with a symbol showing which type of setting he had. One button was easily settable with his right thumb, the other with his left hand where he usually would hold it.

”Oh, that's what those buttons were there for…”
 
“”The cells you carry are required as ammunition, as you already know. Settings are… beams, charged bolt… standard bolt, shots and overcharged bolt. Firing beams will cause the cell to deplete quick, so I'd advise you to stick to shots. Avoid using beam and overpower settings - oh, and do not to forget that water will cause the cell to deplete immediately if the rifle itself is gets too wet. Rain should not be a problem, just keep it away from getting soaked. The rifle will also maintain standby automatically if it is not used over a long period so the cell could recharge itself during that time. Just press any button or pull the trigger if you need to shoot immediately.””
 
“Got it.”
 
""But enough about the technical stuff. Anyways, I'm more than glad I finally found you. Please - You have to be careful, for we have no idea if there are any 'Invid' creatures down there. And don't forget you have to -fzzzt- and -chhrrzzzssshhht- Mrrhsofnnecarshhhh-""
 
Slowly, Lindsay began to have complications trying to maintain her concentration upon the beam. It was dissipating… The signal was beginning to fade away. She tried as hard as she could to uphold the signal but it suddenly vanished…
 
The communication signal was now fuzzing useless sounds.
"S-Sarah? Sarah... Do you hear me?!", he shouted.
 
Again - the female computer voice spoke - "”Communication signal... lost..."”
Robert was standing in the rain, still soaked, tired and with his hand still holding the headset. He got to his knees and looked up.
"Damn... alone again...", he said to himself as he looked around and saw something which looked like a good place to find shelter from the rain.
“…Lucky me…”
He got up and went there, using the last bit of his strength. The shelter he found was quite small and tight, but it had something he could not disobey to take. It was waterproof - more or less. He crawled inside and curled up quite uncomfortable since he wanted to have his rifle in his hand...
 
"I need some vacation..."
 
The pure exhaustion took over him. Even though he felt cold and wet, he immediatly fell asleep...
 
----
 
Abandoned Veritech Launching Bay...
 
The quietness itself at Launching Bay made the surroundings more frightening. Mick and FoxyRoxy were sure that this silence was another sign of upcoming danger. Especially Mick was unease about meeting another one of the ugly dog-like beast and the fact that there could be a lot more of them around. They slowly made their way out the elevator, slowly prowling with cautious steps. As the doors of the elevator went shut, Mick aimed around as he looked at all directions. FoxyRoxy held her gun pointing upwards to her left side, since she was left-handed.
Spotting dozens of corpses suited with engineering jackets, it was terrifying for Mick seeing dead mechanics spread everywhere along the floor. The air was cold and each breath through the nose was tough, for the gross smell of decaying corpses slowly took its progress. Either the RDF failed totally in evacuating non-combat personnel or they were not even warned and were ambushed like sitting ducks. Empty bullet shells and slashed bodies of a few guards explained it all. Needless to say that a furious gunfight must have happened hear, simply judged by the countless clues among the area.
FoxyRoxy, slowly walked over to one of the many burned streams along the walls.
Among a the few streams, one of them stopped abruptly, but continued another meter away - A gap between the burn-marks… As if something was in the way. Smoothly picking up the burned material with her left index finger, the glove of her suit smeared some of the burned material upon the tip of her finger. Mick looked at her, as she smelled the material several times. After smelling a few times, Foxy tightened her left hand into a fist.
 
“…Looks like something bad has happened here…”, Mick said to her quietly as he looked around again.
She looked again upon the corpses among their area… but something bugged her… Her instinct told her that something was just not right.
Laser…”, she said whispered.
“Huh?”
These marks on all of these walls… were made by a laser weapon… I can smell a certain chrome component. Mainly used by old laser guns.
 
Mick looked amazed as she stood there next to the wall. She knew a lot more than he did.
 
…but that's not all, Mick… Something else has happened here… I just can't figure it out
For sure, the unknown beasts and shard-shooting creatures were serious threats and very dangerous. The mechanics had no chance. But there was another mystery hidden… but she just could not figure it out.
 
"Somebody or something is gonna to pay for all this...", He grumbled to himself..., “but let's get moving. We better not waste more time.”
 
They arrived at the Veritech Bay where Mick remembered where their damaged Valkyrie was parked. The Bay had twelve Valkyries parked inside, along with three main terminal gates, which were closed. FoxyRoxy found an access panel next to gates and pressed a few keys, but the panel did not respond to her commands. Although there was not much power at their area, the screen on the panel did showed something: "c7364 Invalid Access - Unauthorized Access Card... Blue Card level 4 required to access the bay..."
 
"Maybe one of the mechanics have the right card...", she guessed...
Mick looked around, seeing all the dead bodies around them, then replied "It could take a century until we find the right one...", and shook his head.
Foxy looked upwards and spotted the station high above and far away on the other side of the runways… Unfortunately too far away, it would also steal unnecessary time.
 
"How about we try to hack it or so? I know a little in electronic stuff...", she suggested.
"Hmm, give it a shot..."
 
FoxyRoxy tried to pull the sides panel open, but it remained closed.
"Hmm, if we only had a few tools...", she said. Looking around, Mick immediately spotted a maintanance vehicle.
"Alright - Wait here, Foxy..."
He made a quick run towards the truck and searched for anything useful inside. Grabbing a few tool kits full of gears, wrenches and other technical gadgets and carried different looking kits back to FoxyRoxy.
 
"... here, try these..."
 
Both opened the kits, checking them through, sorting and throwing everything out which could look useful. "Ok, I think I can try it out now", she said, grabbed one of the many tools and got to work...
"I'll keep an eye around here, you go ahead."
FoxyRoxy smiled as she started unscrewing the panel...
 
----
 
Bridge Citadel… operating as usual…
 
Just as Claudia Grant arrived back at her station, her upper console phone rang. Grabbing the phone, she responded, "This is SDF-1 Bridge Operations - Bridge Commander Claudia Grant...", she listened for several moments, then turned around towards the Admiral and explained, “Admiral Gloval, it is the `Majestica' with a very disturbing notice.”
 
“What is it, Commander?”, the old man replied.
 
“Sir, Sensory Observation and Owl units of the `Majestica' have detected activity upon the `Invid-Exodus'. Though they cannot confirm the contacts due to heavy interferences, they speculate a preparation of an attack”.
 
Very disturbing indeed…
The majority of the fleet's fighters and defensive units were being transferred over to the `Majestica' and for the time being, the fleet itself was highly vulnerable. Due to the circumstance that each launching deck needed to be immediately evacuated, armaments have been abandoned in order to rescue fighters, personnel and other heavy equipment… but for now any attack upon the relocating fleet would cause serious damage and losses.
The anxiety of this threat was a fact that practically stabbed through Gloval's mind…
“Uphold the communication line, Commander Grant, and tell them to continue their observation and that the SDF-1 will dispatch fast reaction squadrons if needed. Commander Hayes, advise yellow alert to the active pilot staff as well”, he replied.
 
"Yes sir".
“Contacting the task groups…”
 
Another call rung, but this time, it was the Admiral's screen phone. Picking up the phone, the image revealed a soldier - An officer who seemed to be in a bad shape.
"Admiral Gloval, urgent report from the front. Our troops have just lost foothold of the Sterntaler District. Ground units of the enemy have advanced and it looks like the enemy is using two new unknown units as well. In desperate needs of heavy defensive ground units, the Research Dept. has confirmed the possibility of refitting Valkyrie units for inner city combat - At least mobility-wise. We require your confirmation, sir."
"Give him the order to immediately refit squadrons and reserve Veritechs within military bases. Those upgrades are vital. Concentrate the..."
Suddenly, Admiral Gloval's orders were interrupted by the shout of Vanessa Leeds. "Admiral!", the shout came from the right side of him struck like a thunder-clap throughout the entire Bridge Deck.
 
"Admiral! Secondary sensor systems have detected three… no… four groups of unidentified objects dispatching from the 'Invid-Exodus'! Confirmed scan of "Invid-Arc-Shardlings" and an additional unit of unknown identity, presumed larger than the others!"
 
For need of his full attention, the Admiral excused himself, “Excuse me, soldier. My authority is needed elsewhere. Retreat and regroup the platoons along with other units and maintain defensive positions, Admiral Gloval over and out”:
Claudia also spoke loudly, “The `Majestica' confirms the contacts, 4 large groups, each consisting of 15 units. Main unidentified unit is sized three times larger than the others! Their sensory is unable reveal further information due to the dense fields of radioactivity that has spread upon the bow region of the SDF-1. Approximately 20 minutes until the enemy enters combat range!“
 
20 minutes… a new deadline… but still enough reaction time.
 
“Four large groups… consisting of fifteen units…”, Gloval combined as he lowered his face slightly.
The beast was up to something…
“Heading of the hostile group?”, he added.
 
“Yes sir - sending request as ordered”, Claudia recalled his order over her headset and waited several moments as the `Majestica' gave its information through, “…Roger… Admiral, rough scans and speculations says that this group is heading for…”
 
“- The relocating fleet…”, the Admiral continued, answering his own question as he rose his face again, “The beast is performing a raid upon the fleeing large ships of our fleet… The beast's tactic is a raid to suppress our strength… We must not allow this to happen”.
 
Again, the Admiral's commline rang in an urgent but recognizable tone.
Pressing a key on his seat, he heard the voice of Commodore Travis, “”Sir, we have a serious problem. Our escorts are spread everywhere among the whole region around the SDF-1 and the `Majestica' group. The region the current fleet and flight groups are maintaining is too great. It would take far too long for them to react. Even an order of interception would not be viable due to the fact that these escorts are already protecting the operations of ongoing unarmed evacuation and rescue ships - Abandoning them would only cause them to be more vulnerable upon dangerous attacks. Fast reaction units and the use of special forces such as task groups is critically advised - Commondore Travis, out.”
 
Gloval formed a fist in from of his mouth as Travis' advice annulated the possibility of reaction… but Travis' advice was true and not to be ignored. However, his advice was a serious cross through his plans.
He was right…
The integrity of escorting fleet of Valkyries was thin due to the need of retreat after the first great battle against the hordes of the “Invid Exodus” and the vast region surrounding the SDF-1, the `Invid-Exodus” and the `Majestica' group. Even the simplest relocation for a defensive barrier stance would raise the threat of an enemy unit slipping by - and Gloval knew the enemy would take such action if the slightest chance existed. Under no circumstance should this dangerous enemy be underestimated - The beast was too tempting and predictable… Just waiting for the moment to chessmate and compromise the whole fleet. But for the moment, Gloval was thankful for Travis' short but helpul call.
Emergency measures and plans were required now…
 
“Yellow alert status claimed sir. Task groups `Skull', `Vermillion', `Echo Wing' and `Specter Rangers' will be ready for dispatch as soon as possible.
 
Hearing the name of `Specter Rangers', Sammie's heart skipped a beat, as she once again feared for Chris who surely was in active duty… A feeling that stunned her as she started ahead upon the countless screens of her station.
 
Commodore Travis, this time voice only, called over Gloval's commline, “”Excuse my interference again, Admiral, but I've received two important calls. The bad news is that the Chinese Air Force denies the dispatch of interceptors since they're relocating fleet has a scarce amount of escorts - but they will scramble their units if they reach combat range. Chinese units are willing to offer long-range artillery fire if needed. The UN forces only possess defensive Veritechs, so they will be bound to the defensive role in this situation. However, Admiral, the good news is that we can count on the support of five units of the Soviet Strike Force, VFD-1A `Dragnadayas', which seem to have an advantage over multiple targets.”
 
“I'm pleased to hear this, Commondore, please send our allies my greatest appreciations for their support.”
 
“””We're not through yet…”””
 
But the situations was about to get worse…
Listening to her headset, Claudia was shocked by the sudden reports:
"Admiral! The ground units of the "Invid" have begun full-scale attacks upon the 'Parisa Square', 'Hector's Bow' and `Erika Langley' Districts! Civilians are being... slaughtered! ...", her voice went down in sorrowness, "They... They're being slaughtered..."
 
"A... nightmare...!", Gloval said and fell back into his seat, "This is all happening too sudden..."
"Admiral Gloval - sir!", Claudia called, trying to gain his attention, "Our armored divisions won't make it there on time to defend what needs to be defended!"
Sweat ran down Glovals forehead. He took off his Officer's Hat, used his hand and went with through his hair and wiped sweat off.
"Admiral? What are your orders for the Districts?", Lisa asked with a very calm voice, reminding him of the soldiers hoping for support and orders. Many of the bridge officers were surprised by her shear coolness albeit the dreadful situation.
"I am afraid we have no other choice but to evacuate those Districts... Send in any possible Veritech unit available to fight inside the SDF-1!"
 
"But, Sir”, Claudia insisted the need of concern, “The 'balance'-systems of Veritech units will not be efficient enough to operate under such gravity circumstances. Excuse my protest sir, but I must aware you of your decision. We were forced to abandon various numbers of Veritechs and Launching Decks due to sudden ambushes. The Launching Decks above the military district of the south is the last operational one in order to launch any special force into space. Sending in heavy Veritechs within the city would cause severe damage to structures as well!"
"I am aware of that, Commander. Our Valkyrie units will soon be refitted for inner city combat but until then, we must respond immediately... "
 
Gloval understood Claudia's worry, but there was no time for thinking about the consequences.
At first, Lisa hesitated... but then said, "Yes Sir, we will follow your order".
No chance, the Admiral made his decision and Lisa seemed to think the use of Veritechs inside the city would support their troops greatly. Though a bit unsure, she lifted her hand slowly upon a few switches above her and settled her commline for all districts and decks throughout the entire SDF-1.
 
“Immediately dispatch the four fast reaction task groups to intercept the incoming threats. `Skull' and `Vermillion' should immediately join up the frontal half of the fleet, `Echo Wing' and `Specter Rangers' should take the other half”, Gloval ordered directly.
 
“Aye, Admiral”, Claudia said, “Consulting flight-deck-control station for the dispatch of…”
 
But then, her speech was interrupted by Lisa's sudden interference.
“Admiral, by your command, I will take full control of the task groups. I am confident of eliminating the threat upon my control”.
Surprised but not willing to interfere with Lisa's request, Claudia turned herself towards Admiral Gloval, awaiting his answer. It was unusual that Commander Hayes would take over such task as this one, but her voice surely was determined. Despite her unusual question, Lisa truly is a Commander with outstanding leadership capabilities.
 
“Very well, Commander, the task groups shall be under your command”, he replied and leaned back into his seat.
 
Accepting the Admiral's order, Claudia turned back to her station and contacted the flight-deck-control station, “BC Claudia Grant here - With immediate effect, Fleet Commander Lisa Hayes will take full control of the task group's operation. Concentrate yourselves upon the relocating fleet and engage defensive formations. Be ready if Commander Hayes should call for support.”
“Orders confirmed, Ma'am!”
 
Lisa shortly closed her eyes and cleared her mind. For the short moment, the chaotic voices and the stress of situation left her body as if they never existed. She exhaled slowly, then opened her eyes and laid her hands gently upon the controls of her sophisticated console systems.
 
“Fleet Command Ops… Online…”
 
----
 
Meanwhile, somewhere inside the `Majestica'…
Ever since their arrival onboard upon the destroyer, stress was not spared at all. Unaware of what was going on in outer space, the rookie squadrons of the “Marauder Gauntlets” division has undergone quick classes and training in understanding their Valkyrie and combat situations. Though many of them were tired and somewhat weary, they insisted not to take rest, a sacrifice for which Lt. Comm. Vikksdottir was thankful.
In order fulfill their role perfectly as fleet defenders, the officials of the UN and Soviet Strike Forces have accepted to spare a few of their Veritechs, allowing them to expand their capabilities in defense. As the training took its place, many groups were around their Valkyries, being advised by technicians. The female RW co-pilots gained more knowledge in the use of their systems while the male pilots studied the hidden abilities in evasive combat, learning the true capabilities of their `Valley-Cat'.
 
Standing in rows, the pilots and co-pilots were introduced to the `VFD-1A Dragnadaya', `VF-1D Sky-Dancer' and a young Chinese pilot called Cojing Feilong of the Chinese Air Force, who now was transfer to the “Marauder Gauntlets” division. Recognizing the name of his callsign, Jester and a few others greeted him and were pleased to help him out during the second battle upon the deck of the SDF-1.
 
Suddenly, alarm sounds blasted upon the speakers…gaining the attention of everybody besides Lt.Comm. Vikksdottir…
“An attack?!”, Rixler said, surprised by the sudden noise.
“Well what are we waitin' for?!”, Rooks shouted, snapping the collar of his HEC suit and laying his helmet on. Sounding heroic and encouraged, many other pilots immediately did the same as he did… until they were stopped by Major Bronco's second-in-command, who smiled shortly for their enthusiasm, then spoke in her usual accent, “Where do you all think you are going?”
Confused by her question, nobody understood why she asked.
“But - Ma'am, don't you here the alarms”, Rooks said, “Shouldn't we be on the move?”
 
She shook her head several times.
“Negative, Airman Rookers. Our priority now is to advise all of you in the basics and next level of tactical knowledge about your Valkyries.”
“With all needed respect, ma'am, but that alarm sounds urgent! Why are we being held back?”
“Orders of Major Bronco, Airman. We must follow his orders…”
“But…”, Rooks said.
“Commander Vikksdottir”, Cherry interrupted him, insisting to explain what he was trying to say, “What my pilot is trying to say - and I think he is speaking for all of us - Is that we have an urge to fly and support whomever needs our help out there. Haven't we already proven our usefulness, ma'am?”
 
Again, she shook her head. For the moment, Vikksdottir did see what she meant. Not only did the men have the usual `arrogant' look of fighter pilots just waiting to get in battle and endanger their lives, the eyes of the women of her former division gave her the intention of the need to enter the battlefield as well - and both of their reasons were clear. They did prove themselves worthy for the entire fleet of the RDF and this was their chance to do it again…
“I am indeed pleased to see so many of you eager to dispatch…”, the Scandinavian woman replied to the group, “But our decision is clear. Until we have not assigned your commanders, you all are to continue your progress in learning skills and the introduction to other Valkyrie types. The second battle was a definite sign for the lack of knowledge in zero-g combat…”
She looked back and forth upon the groups of rookies as she spoke further, “…Lives were lost just by the lack of knowledge… We cannot let this happen again. Furthermore, none of you have rested…”
 
Startled about her words, the group held still, until one of the female co-pilots of the helmet and said, “Everybody… She's right…”
Doing the same, everybody detached their helmets. Rooks, though ready for another flight, looked to his side as he saw several other groups of pilots running down the corridor.
 
“Guess we're gonna have to pass on this one…”
 
----
 
Taking much time, FoxyRoxy had difficulties trying to hack the system of the panel. Each time she though she managed to hack it, she said, “I think I got it now" and then a loud hearable spark sound would occur, along with an "ouch", as an answer to her mistaken thought. Although she was unsuccessful, she kept on trying. Mick noticed that a few red hairlines were pointing upwards from her head... He laughed quietly. FoxyRoxy shocked herself again when a loud alarm went off at the same time.
"OOPS! I think I did something wrong this time", she said in embarrassment...
 
"Wait, I don't think it was your fault", he said, "I know that sound..." He listened to the alert sound, which was a long louder-getting bomb sirene. "Sounds like an attack alright... I think those `Invid' bugs are up for trouble again..."
 
She suddenly heard a few things getting knocked over, not far away from their position -" Shh, did you hear that?"
"Yeah, I heard it and I don't like that sound...", Mick said back to her...
 
Then they heard sliding sounds, as if something was being pulled away, sliding on the floor...
"I am almost through here...", she said, "so far I've managed to override the 'card input'... Just need to crack the 'access unit', give me a few secs... "
Mick slowly went towards the corner of the bay where they were at and looked slowly around the corner. He could not believe what he was seeing. There were a few "Invid" creatures, unlike those he has seen before... Unlike the snake or dog-like creatures.
These had spikes, tentacle-like arms, were half as small as the snake-like 'Invids' and also had one weird and deformed looking eye, if you could call it eye... Mick saw a trail of blood as the "Invid" creatures slowly continued their path. They were carrying and pulling corpses away.
Speaking quietly, he said to FoxyRoxy You won't believe this, but it's those bugs! - and it looks like they're taking the dead bodies somewhere... but that's not all…"
"What?"
"That's strange...”, he thought back shortly, remembering that he had seen those types once before.
"I've seen those, when I was heading to the District Hospital. They were carrying dead bodies, including one guy was not dead... but I came too late, I managed to kill them but the person was dead when I got to him... and now their doing it again...", Mick explained, holding his sub-machine gun ready. The group of creatures consisted of snake-like beings, however unlike the dangerous `shard-shooting' ones, and another larger thing carrying the corpses with arms and tentacles. Pools of dark blood was smeared everywhere along the floor of the whole section… Needless to say that it was disgusting.
“…Far to many to take on… Hope you're almost through”
 
"I wonder what they're up to...", she said back to him and quickly used a wire-clipper to cut through two green wires. The panel screen made a few beep sounds and a text showed up: "c7364 Invalid Access - Access Card red confirmed... invalid Access... Access Denied."
"Damn it!", FoxyRoxy said out loudly, forgetting that they were supposed to keep subtlety, "Damn it! I was so close..."
 
But then, the bay's gates went opened. FoxyRoxy's face went happy as she dropped all the tools and cables she had on her. "Mick, I made it!"
 
Entering the bay had several vacant slots for Valkyries and other Veritechs. Taking a look around, Mick discovered that certain Veritechs seemed to be below average status, others were either battered and still had visible damages upon their armor. He did not expect their Valkyrie to be in such a bad shape though. Wanting to make sure that they were still undiscovered, Mick ran back to the bay's entrance and took a look around the corner.
 
He looked back to her and said, "Great job, Roxy!", but then spotted the creatures noticing the loud noise of the gate... "Uh-oh..."
 
The creatures dropped the dead bodies and slowly moved towards their position. Slightly shocked by their reaction, he threw himself with his back around the corner, then aimed his SMG towards the group of creatures and shouted, "Roxy! Get to our Valkyrie! Fast!"
Mick held the trigger of his gun, unleashing a rain of lead. The SMG shattered bullets wildly as he shot towards the creatures. Though a lousy aim for firing single-handedly, the majority of the bullets sliced through the creatures. Two of them sprayed a disgusting liquid upon all sides. Another four showed up and started moving towards their direction. Again, he stopped and took cover, not wanting to take risk. Holding the SMG, he felt that it was a lot lighter - for sure running out of bullets. Taking another short glimpse around the corner, he saw that the creatures slowly slithered towards their direction.
 
"Mick! Come over here! I found our Valkyrie!"
 
Mick ran inside the bay as well and opened the cockpit. They both climbed in and threw his helmet over his head.
"Long time, no see...", he said towards himself and slapped a few switches upwards, causing the Valkyrie to activate all systems. Humming sound occurred from the turbines. Spotting one of the creatures that have reached the entrance of the Bay, Mick shouted, "crap, one of those things made it here!"
 
All the sudden, the creature was shredded down by multiple shots. Mick turned around and noticed that FoxyRoxy used the head cannon of the Valkyrie. The internal visor of her helmet automatically slipped upwards into the helmet when she deactivated it again.
 
"Whoa...", Mick said as he closed the cockpit, “We better move out”.
 
Mick activated the internal hovering systems of the Valkyrie. Although there were no mag-rails active for carrying the Valkyrie, it was still possible for the Valkyrie generate its own anti-grav field for several moments.
He could see that three more creatures showed up at the entrance.
"Foxy, would you mind...?"
 
She acquired the additional targets and unleashed a hail of high velocity shots, making them bust into irregular pieces. "... Targets neutralized...", she confirmed...
Smiling, Mick said, "Great work. Now let's get out of here. Are you ready?"
 
"Ready... when you are, Mick. ", she replied back to him...
He smiled devilish, feeling better - "I'm starting to love it when you say that!", he shouted and pushed the throttle, making the Valkyrie accelerate out of the Bay. He activated Guardian mode and deactivated the internal hovering systems. He was a lot less nervous this time, glad to have FoxyRoxy healthy - or at least awake - behind him.
“Hey, how's our damage status, Foxy? Still got a few systems down.”
 
Within seconds, she called the damage status screen upon her screen, which showed several systems blinking in yellow…
“Looks like the technicians only had the time to get repair and replace a few weapon systems and parts of the armor. But I'm afraid it's still in bad shape. We better not take it too much to the maximum either.”
 
“I could live with that…”
 
"Mick, we've need get a primary cannon", FoxyRoxy said and pointed over to the right side, "Check out starboard side - over there! There are a few of the rifles specially designed for our Valkyrie!" The Valkyrie hovered over to the position and grabbed one cannon-rifle with the Veritech's hand. "Ok, got it", he said as he saw the ammunition counter adding up, "Now were talkin' business! Let's get out of here"
"But there is no way out, Mick!”, his co-pilot said loudly.
“What?”
“The Deck's gateways into space are closed and we haven't had the chance to open them over the center!”
“Damn!”, Mick shouted, actually noticing that he totally forgot about that…
“There's another way… The way back down…”
“That would lead us back to the city deck..."
Looking again towards the right, Mick spotted another group of familiar snake-like creatures further away, but this time, these had noticeable large shoulders… "We don't have much of a choice..."
"You've gotta be careful, Mick", she reminded him, "the Valkyrie won't be as easy to control down at the city deck like here..."
"We'll worry about that when we get there... How do we get there?"
"That large door over there!", she replied back, "It's the terminal lift for large vehicles, which leads down to `Ft. Rico' Veritech Barracks... As far I know, it is still under repairs, ever since the first flight we've had."
 
"No problem", taking over the main gun controls, he aimed the cannon at the doors and blew it away, "Ok... Here go's!" Foxy-Roxy was right, the lift was still under repairs - further more it would require even more time since Mick just blasted it into pieces. Since there was no lift in the vertical dark corridor, Mick decided to plunge down into the deep...
 
 
 
 
 
 
---