Macross Fan Fiction ❯ Robotech: Beneath a steel sky ❯ Chapter 11 - Iron rain and Silent Hunters ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

---- Chapter 11 ---- Iron Rain
 
A group of four special Valkyrie squadrons are flying at blinding speed ahead, responding as to Admiral Gloval's desperate plight of the vulnerable relocation fleet. The group, flying in a tight formation with a grey Valkyrie at lead, left a blue trail behind them as they dashed through the region between the SDF-1 and the `Majestica'.
Fleet Commander Lisa Hayes appeared among the screens of all pilots:
“”Attention, interceptor task group. This is Fleet Commander Hayes. Operation: Close Call. Your exact-time-arrival is six-point-thirty-seven minutes away from the engagement zone. It is assumed that the enemy will perform its breakthrough at this area… We must not allow any of these units to bypass this area or our relocating fleet will suffer severe casualties. The `Majestica' is forced to stand-down weapon systems to avoid friendly-fire. Due to the circumstance of this threat, Admiral Gloval has granted me full fleet control for this operation...””
2nd Lieutenant Chris Caldwell, who flew within this group, listened carefully... although his mind wandered elsewhere for a short moment.
“”…Task group. Your response is urgent. The Chinese Air Force will only be able to offer artillery fire. The Soviet Strike Force has sent two VFD-1As under our command and will join your wing in approximately two minutes. Both VFDs are armed with point-defense turrets capable to engage multiple targets at once. `Skull' and `Vermillion' squadrons are to defend the frontal half of the relocating fleet in the second phase, `Echo Wing' and `Spector Rangers' the rear half. Stand-by for further orders. Over…””
 
Field Commander Roy Fokker, the leader of the group flying the legendary grey VF-1S Valkyrie, entered the communication line, “”Okay, you heard the lady. Follow each order with no delay - She knows what she is doing. Remember, the enemy's strength is beyond all what we've ever encountered since the last Zentraedi attack. These `things' are smart, so never underestimate them!””
 
Looking high to his right side, Chris looked at the stars and thought about Sammie… The last phone call he had with her…
“”I had a dream once, Chris…””, she said with a soft voice.
“About what?”
She paused… remained silent.
“”A dream I never had before… but maybe I could tell you about when we meet again?””
 
Interrupted by a unfamiliar accent, he suddenly heard Russian voices speaking over his commline, “”Diz iz Lu-tyen-nant Grushov and Wozloyka. We hav' visual contact with your group `n' will join yu soon, Commador Fokker. Ovor.””
“”Fokker here, glad you'll be with us! We'll need help all right! Lt. Grushov, I would like you to be with my group, Lt. Wozloyka with the other. Over.””
 
Another voice spoke over the line, “”Dixon here - Hey, guys - Just be careful with those heavy guns. One of your mates nearly blasted me away last time!””
“”Ah, I don't expect them to do us a favor, Ben””, another voice snarled and chuckled.
“”Why you - “”
 
“”Alright boys, cut the jokes - This is not the right time for joking around””, Fokker demanded with an unusual tone - for he was normally the one who would continue with such jokes in flight.
“”Hahaha - erm, yes sir…””
 
“”Listen, men…”” Fokker's voice continued, however with a serious and firm manor, “”The enemy is ruthless - and you all know that the Zentraedi usually fought with some kind of battle plan… but this enemy seems to be insane. We can bet that it won't care if it will be successful or not. We better expect that this is some… kind of kamikaze act… But besides all that, the fleet needs our help - and I'm counting on all of you like they are counting on us. We belong to the best of the best… Don't let me down…””
 
His words hollowed in Chris' mind several times…
 
 
---
 
Somewhere deep within the rainy Sub-Deck, far below the Macross City deck...
An hour already passed by as Robert finally found a spot for resting within the endless fields of junk and debris in the darkness. He was uncomfortable curled in a very small hole right at the foot of a small junk-hill. It was a lousy sleep, while having his rifle as a pillow.
 
Not knowing that he was being watched the whole time, Lindsay was still levitating near him... Watching him as he slept and observing wild events somewhere between the SDF-1 and the Majestica at the same time. But just as she looked ahead, she spotted something not far away from his hideout.
 
“””Oh no…”””
 
Robert woke up as he heard something very loud... He looked around anxiously but the only thing he heard was rain frequently splashing down. Although curled up in order not to get all too wet, he had pain all over his body. He was not so drenched up like before, but his clothes were still wet and heavy. Covered by a pile of junk, Robert insisted to stay as he was and closed his eyes again... Shortly after closing them, he heard something again, a sound that was not alike the rain dropping to the ground. He moved himself around to see where the sound was coming from and discovered that he was not alone...
As another flash from the dark “sky” occurred, Robert spotted the dreadful silhouette of a snake-like creature - just dead ahead standing on its tail upon a small hill with its back towards him, slowly turning its head. The young man began to get a little bit nervous as the creature slowly looked back and forth. If its view were to swoop upon his area, then he was likely to get detected - and there was no way of getting out of this tight hole for safety. Looking upon his rifle, he could see that it was on standby. Slowly, he pulled it out, slowly trying to get some space for him to aim.
 
Lindsay saw what he was up to… but she was more likely shocked by the surroundings unknown to the man around his hideout. She spotted silhouettes several individual snake-like creatures upon and around the dunes of junk, just standing vertically on their tails and sweeping the area with their heads. She could not explain her feeling, since she was only a blue holographic avatar in a virtual world, but she feared the worst for this soldier. If he were to shoot, it was to be likely that the other creatures would react and kill him.
 
The young man managed to get some space for the muzzle of the rifle. While aiming, he observed its behavior. The snake-like creature slowly kept looking around, its red 'eye' sweeping over the area, scanning it like a predator… But Robert had the advantage of attacking first. Kill or get killed…
 
She feared for the life of this man and floated in front of him. Already forgetting that she was invisible for him she shook her head several times and waving her arms. Mindlessly, she tried to shout `No - don't do it', just notice that her voice made no sound neither for him nor her. His fate was about to sealed if he were to fire… But then, she had an idea. She did not know if it would help or if it would even work on time. All she could do was to close her eyes and concentrate as best she could…
 
Lying uncomfortably but covered by junk, Robert's rifle was aiming straight ahead upon the target. The visibility was horrible as he aimed at the back of the creature ahead. He set for `charged bolt', wanting to make sure it would be a lethal takedown - and although he was ready to fire, he hesitated for several moments. The rifle was on stand-by, just waiting to generate a violent energy bolt instantly…
Just… hold… still…”, he whispered as he aimed ahead. It was too dark and the endless rain made his view impossible for a perfect hit. He made his own deadline - The next flash would be his chance to pull the trigger… But the patience was killing his mind as his hand trembled slightly. What would happen if he were to miss?
 
`Please…', was all of Lindsay's hope as she bit her teeth together.
 
A flash!
The light from above, though existing for a millisecond, was like an eternity for Robert, as it touched the silhouette of the creature. Suddenly, the voice of the female computer voice broke his concentrating - luckily causing him to shake and let go of the rifle.
 
“”…Don't…!””, was all the voice said within the ear-piece in Robert's left ear…
It was the computer voice from his radio, but… somewhat sounding different than the emotionless voice he already got used to. Robert was so surprised that he was stunned by the sudden female voice. Dreadfully disturbed and lost-minded, he noticed that the creature far ahead turned around slightly and began scanning the area… Unfortunately the arc where was hiding at. The red eye of the creature in the darkness was visible from the side and it slowly moved towards the right, just about to spot the hidden hole - and if he had bad luck - himself lying there.
 
Surprisingly, the creature turned away and was accompanied by several other `Invid-Shardlings'.
 
Although Lindsay felt relieved by stopping him from shooting, she dropped her shoulders as she stared over her shoulder…Hoping he would maintain his subtleness…
 
Robert closed his eyes and bit his teeth together… He felt that they spotted him and they were going to finish him off with their shots.
 
But moments went by. The creatures slithered away… disappearing beyond edge the hill…
 
When he opened his eyes, he saw nothing ahead. Though relieved, Robert still laid stunned… and he stayed there for another thirty minutes, not moving a muscle while having his hand floating over trigger-handle of his rifle. Although he was astonished about what happened, he began to calm down.
 
Why did the computer voice in radio say something…?
Why did it warn him not to shoot?
Or did it know that there were more creatures around and not just one…?
 
His mind was filled with questions like these, but he felt that it was time to get out of here. Robert waited a few seconds again, looked around, then slowly crawled out of his shelter. He crawled on his knees, holding the rifle sideways, right hand holding the trigger-handle, the other holding the front rifle-muzzle. He looked around... still wet and tired. Thick raindrops began to tap upon his face again. And again, he could see lightning bolts cracking very far from above. Robert felt more and more lousy as he stared at the ceiling... He licked once again drops that fell on his lips... That unforgettable metallic taste again. Deciding to continue in the direction he was going - or where he thought he was going, he climbed over the shelter, since it was in a small hill made out of an incalculable amount of metal junk. But then, just as he reached the top, he was astonished by what he saw ahead.
 
Lindsay also was surprised at what she was seeing…
 
He immediately threw himself down to prone position when he spotted a small group of "Invid-Shardlings" ahead, not so far away...
"Aw hell...", the man whispered towards himself.
He counted five... They were standing... looking around. He could not tell if they were the same ones from before or if this was another roaming group. It seemed as like they had not discovered him... yet.
Robert rolled onto his back, holding the rifle close towards him. He tried to clear his mind as the rain hammered all over him.
" This is not my day..."
He knew that he would have to attack these creatures if he would want to continue. There was just not much cover for crawling by. The surprise effect would be on his side if he would do the first move, once again. Although feeling miserable, he rolled back onto his stomach slowly and looked over the edge.
 
There was no way around…
 
"...Five...", he whispered to himself..., "five of the shooting ones... " - He slowly crawled up again, then aimed at the nearest creature ahead... Hesitating to fire, he was too nervous and his aim was shaking... For sure, he was not going to let him get distracted like last time - so he insisted to take out the earpiece from the radio and pushed inside his vest. Missing the target would be fatal - which he knew - but aiming was just not easy for such an untrained person. Raindrops kept splashing everywhere and the visibility was just as terrible as it was before. He could only see parts of his targets - The 'shadow' of their profile was weak and hardly visible... But then, when his target turned around, he finally had something to aim at... Something that gave its position perfectly away. Right in the middle of the darkness ahead, he could see the red eye - glowing like a red ruby... Robert now had a visual guideline. The eye fitted perfectly into the iron-sight of his weapon.
 
This was his chance...
 
Keeping cool and steady, this time not letting himself get distracted by the annoying rain and pulled the trigger. The blast of charged energy flew ahead and busted the head of the nearest "Invid-Shardling"... the remains of its body immediately dropped to the ground. But there was no time for celebrating his first real successful hit - Now he needed to aim for the next one…
Just as Robert swung his aim slightly to the right for the next target, he noticed an empty space around him. He opened his other eye and looked around. They have already disappeared... He reset his rifle for standard shots and looked around again. Nothing but heavy rain and a lousy field of view in the darkness was all he could see.
"Damn, where did they -?!", he asked himself - but then, from the middle of nowhere, he heard familiar sounds of death darting past him... Shards! He immediately rolled over a few times to the left side. Unfortunately, he rolled too far... He rolled - or rather fell - over the edge of the junk hill, which made him roll a lot faster and uncontrollable down the junk slope. As he rolled downwards, he felt a strong stinging pain on his left arm, it was not a shard, but he must have rolled over something very sharp...
When he reached ground level, he got to his knees and felt slightly dizzy... Robert looked up when he heard a dreaded scream coming from the top of the junk hill. It was one of "Invid-Shardlings"... It then looked down upon him - and Robert knew what was going to come next.
Robert lined up his rifle fast and aimed for the creature, "OH NO YOU WON'T!", he shouted and fired a burst of shots towards the creature.
 
The group of yellow shots smacked upon the torso area of the beast a few times. Robert fired again and again, focusing his aim this time for the head area... He missed a few times... but never the less, the creature fell and rolled lifelessly down the hill of junk towards him... When it stopped, he could see that the red-looking eye went dark... fading to black... It was dead, the least what Robert hoped...
He looked up again. Two more "Invid-Shardlings" stood upon the junk hill, apparently ready to fire upon him... Robert charged towards his right, past the hill... His steps splashed into many puddles as he made his way... He saw that his way went a little downwards, which seemed to be his chance to find cover.
While making a run for it, he kept jumping and running - hoping he could dodge the hailing-rain of shard-fire. Shards constantly punched into the ground, making loud `pling' sounds as they pierced through the metal ground...
As he looked at his left at creature firing upon him - and since he did not keep his eyes on his steps, he tripped over something ... as one shard just flew shortly over his head.
Fortunately, he tripped right into cover...
Unfortunately... he slid like a penguin downwards. He misjudged the ground surface under him... The surface itself was just as slippery as ice....
 
Sliding uncontrollable downwards, he shouted, "whhhHHOOOOOOAAAAaaa!"
He slid downwards a little further until he landed onto ground level again and rolled out of his cover. Robert needed to ignore the pain, since he knew that those creatures were hunting his trail. Still trying to make a run for it... He got up and ran as fast as he could - As he ran ahead, he could hear some splashing sounds getting closer and closer... Hostile sounds...
 
Looking to left, Robert spotted a large piece of junk, which seemed massive enough - massive enough to withstand some punishment. He did a high sideway leap to the left... shards flew into the ground, missing him by a few centimeters... Luckily, he landed, splashing into a puddle behind cover, and rolled - Again, he felt something sharp that scratched him just before he fell behind cover... This time, however, it was a shard that scratched the backside of his left leg... Feeling pain but behind safe protection, he could hear multiple shards slamming loudly against the massive junk shelter...
 
"... Enough is enough...", he said, getting more and more angry...
Robert gathered all the strength he had and rolled over to the right side of his cover... Right after the last roll, he moved himself, his whole right shoulder - Out of cover, the rifle laying on the ground - With his right eye, he could see both "Invid-Shardlings" still hurling volleys of shards towards him. They kept missing... Robert laid his left hand on top of the rifle, in order to hold the recoil he was about to unleash...
 
He could recognize their two red dots further away in darkness... Constantly throwing needles of death...
He aimed and pulled the rifle's trigger all the way through... He could hear the high velocity shots leaving the muzzle, along with flashes... He kept firing... Due to the high recoil, his aim was terrible... but since he fired continuously, he managed to hit both creatures.
He could see the dark yellow shots flash and spark each time they smacked against the creatures. The shots were so powerful, so destructive and piercing that their limbs ripped off in a terrifying and violent manor... They were getting shredded into pieces... Still standing, they continued shaking as the shots sliced them... They had no chance in dodging the raging and blazing rain of fire Robert was unleashing upon them...
He shook as each shot left his rifle...
 
Robert started to shout a loud and angry battle cry...
 
He kept firing... but then, he stopped shaking, including his rifle...
- c l i c k - - c l i c k - - c l i c k - - c l i c k - - c l i c k -
... The trigger clicked several times as he nervously kept pulling it...
 
The female computer voice spoke once again... "Ammunition... depleted..."
Robert was breathing loudly, feeling tired as he could hear "shhh" sounds coming from his rifle. Both creatures were still shaking... Their limbs and bodies nearly totally shredded... 'Blood', if it was 'blood', was streaming out from all sides... One fell backwards from the hill, the other onto the ground ... Both lifelessly...
He got to his knees, still behind his junk cover and looked ahead towards the hill. He could not believe what he saw, nor what he had done - and the fact that he had gone berserk. He pulled the slide button to open the canister chamber holding the empty cell... The rifle was steaming as he felt the heat radiation from the cell.
Although the dark cell was hot, he pulled it out and stuck inside his belt-recharger, just before he burned his fingertips. The young man was exhausted and totally out of breath. Robert did feel a moment of relief as he still stood victoriously far away from the dead creatures. Just as he was about to put in a new cell... He suddenly heard a loud 'splash' behind him, as if something landed... Something heavy...
 
Lindsay was surprised by the creature that surprisingly landed right in front of her view…
 
One thought struck into his mind like a lighting bolt.
 
"DAMN! I'VE KILLED ONLY...", he shouted as turned his head around, looking over his right shoulder "FOUR!"
He saw that one "Invid-Shardling" just landed closely behind him, still in crouched position, probably catching its own self and its weight from the landing...
As the creature catched itself, Robert knew it was about to attack him. If he were to stay in astonishment, the creature would slash him - If he were to reload his rifle, he would be dead-meat as well. Both options would take far too long... Instinctively grabbing the frontal-muzzle part of his rifle, he used all his strength and swung the rifle's end, getting up and twisting himself towards his left at the same time to put even more power to the swing...
 
The creature was not able to avoid the rifle's end. The 'head' of creature was hit - Hard and nasty - making a loud 'cracking' sound occur and its 'blood' splattering towards its right. The force of the blow was so powerful that it's 'head' made the whole body swing to the side... The force of the blow also made Robert lose the rifle from his hands since the muzzle was wet and slippery.
The creature 'screamed' and squealed, as Robert fell onto his back upon the ground. He saw that the creature must have had tremendous pain. He needed to act fast. Looking over his shoulder, he remembered that he still had the organic spear weapon on his back and his handgun in the belt-holster - but he knew there was not enough time to take out the gun and aim.
 
Taking it from the `strap', Robert tightened his hands around the spot he made tension on last time and both ends shot out, having the sharp `blade' at the top of it. This `limb' was still live as Robert felt its warm tight and silky skin. The `Shardling' recovered from the fierce blow and looked at Robert, who was now armed with a spear. The creature immediately struck its claw from a high angle towards him. A ferocious slash that surely was strong enough to cut him in half. Reacting just on time, he held the spear horizontally.
Parrying the slash, Robert was astonished that the spear resisted from getting cut through, but the force of the beast was too strong that he was thrown to the back. Rolling back, he got to his knees again and once again, he was being attacked but this time from the side. Taking a defensive stance, Robert held the organic spear diagonally, having its deadly blade pointing to the ground. Just as he parried the second hit, he pushed the claw of the creature away, and rolled over to the side, just barely managing to deflect the majority of the force.
Again and again, the creature attacked him with its claws and even tried to gun him down with its shards, but Robert was too fast… rather desperate to get out of the way. Although he managed to defend himself well from lethal blows, he was getting more and more exhausted. The creature was in such frenzy that it repeatedly attacked with its claws. He needed to do something fast… Gathering all of his remaining strength, Robert counterattacked the last blow… Reflecting the blow away from him, he used his motion and the force by jumping and performing a vertical slash upon the creature.
 
The `Shardling' was caught off-guard...
And as it did try to use its arm for protection, Robert's counterattack slashed right through the right arm of the beast and partially slit the frontal region of its body. Its `blood' sprayed to the sides as it screamed like never before. But there was no time for regret, for this creature was about to strike Robert with its other claw… but he already saw it coming. Ducking down, the beast missed him and he performed another vertical slash and chopped the remaining long bladed arm. Exhausted and out of power, Robert was forced to kneel down after his attack. The creature screamed again as both of its limbs were lying on the ground.
 
But as Robert thought it was defenseless, the creature turned itself around swung its tail towards him. Not expecting such an attack, Robert barely held the spear defensively, before the tail whipped upon the spear and his self… Knocked away from the shear force of the hit, Robert was sent several meters away until he landed with his back against the hill and rolled downwards.
 
The creature slithered a bit towards the edge and opened its shoulder …
 
The bleeding “Shardling” wanted to finish Robert for good. But just before the creature fired, Robert used this valuable second to pull out the handgun out of the belt-holster... aimed towards the it and pulled the trigger several times...
 
Shards were also launched at same time…
With his mind lost in the wildfire, both shot back and forth at each other. Since the bullets were high-caliber, they busted through the chest region of the creature several times, making it make a very loud and painful scream. It started to move uncontrollable around and fell to it's back... Squealing loudly, swinging its limbs and tail into all directions...
 
For this short moment, he was shocked. He had pain everywhere upon his back… and thought he was shot down…
At first, Robert panicked but then looked around himself. The shards that were fired just barely missed his torso region. He was surrounded by a few dark blue shimmering arrows of death... that missed him. Small holes were all around him as well, only proving how fatal a single hit would be.
 
A few more seconds passed by, the creature was still alive, still trying to get up, hopelessly...
Robert slowly got up to his feet... He used his arm to wipe off water, sweat and whatever it splashed against his head... Slowly walking back towards the small hill where the creature was, he reloaded the handgun. The young man was only slightly wounded as he limped upwards.
He stood still, looking at creature, feeling that it was weeping for it's life... but regardless of his feelings, he immediately grabbed the organic spear, causing it to extract itself once again.
Robert was absent-minded of what he was about to do. Anger filled his mind just as he lifted the spear and executed the creature with a direct stab into the chest region. A large amount of its `blood sprayed against his face…
 
The young holographic woman, who observed this battle, was far from feeling calm. Lindsay floated behind him as she watched him stabbing several times upon the slain creature. Though wanting to lay her hand on his shoulder to calm him down, she remembered that she did not exist at all for him.
 
The feeling he had was somewhat satisfying... He truly did not know why, but each stab he did was another soothing peace for his mind... The 'eye' of creature, which has already faded away ever since the executing stab remained dark...
 
It was dead... finally.
He dropped down slightly upon the “Shardling's” corpse, having his hands still on the spear. Totally exhausted from this bloody event, he tried to clear his mind. Loosening his grip from the spear, it retracted itself to its former small state and again having its organic tissue hanging like a shoulder strap. The young technician sat in a pool of its `blood' and was also stained by it as well. Puddles with tainted alien blood with constant rain tapping upon it was everywhere. But then suddenly, Robert immediately jumped and pulled out his handgun as he saw the both shoulder regions opening. He had no idea what was going on other than expecting that the creature was about to launch another horde of shards.
Aiming back and forth, he spotted two long creatures slowly moving out of the shoulders. They seemed to be pink overgrown worms… or slugs. Whatever they were, the view was so disgusting that Robert took a step towards the back. Both creatures struggled as they tried to slither out of the shoulder region and squealed, normally from where Robert would expect shards being fired from. These overgrown `worms' were still held by back organic tissue and both `bled' another fluid. He guessed he must have shot these strange creatures as well.
 
Making a last sound, both of these creatures lifted their `heads' or whatever it was, just before they dropped lifelessly. Spikes of shards could be seen upon their `backs'… but Robert saw enough.
 
He breathed a few times deeply, luckily avoiding the need to vomit... He was alone again... For now, he guessed.
The metallic rain and thunder from the 'metallic sky' above him was the only thing making noise... His clothes was messed up, he was slightly wounded, soaked wet and more tired than before. He stood about a minute long in front of the creature... He did have the feeling as if he fulfilled the revenge of 'Frenchie', one of the friends that he lost ever since the first encounter with these invading creatures...
But then, he remembered that if he would not stay alert and on-guard, it would definitely be his doom... Robert stuck his handgun into his belt-holster, picked up his rifle and reloaded it as well with a full cell.
He looked up to the ceiling, seeing the raindrops fall... He could also see lighting bolts flashing far above him once again...
He had only one thought in his mind... The same thought any forgotten soul in a desert would think about.
 
..."Survive"...
 
He walked forward, leaving this dreaded battlefield behind him and continued through the darkness of junk, not even having the slightest clue what would be awaiting him ahead...
 
Not knowing that he was being followed…
 
----
 
 
The 'Parisa Square' District, a city district with habitat buildings, maintenance facilities, a few factories, recreation parks and consumer exchanges, was no longer a peaceful place... While Robert had a small success against the "Invid" deep and down-under, the civilians way above him suffered fatal confrontations with the invading armies of creatures... People were in panic, running for their lives.
 
It was an onslaught...
An “Invid Onslaught”…
 
Although the authorities and Admiral Gloval himself never expected such a sudden brutal advance, they needed to take emergency procedures. The remaining soldiers who were responsible for the evacuation fought against the menace. The scenario was already more apocalyptic than those of the Third World War on Earth... Explosions, people screaming, others being killed, shattering windows and shooting weapons could be heard.
"Invid-Shardlings" and other unknown kinds of its species have already overrun the upper half of the District... slaughtering and killing everything that moved or stood in their way. As a group of soldiers fired upon their enemies, strange purple objects were hurled towards them, which then immediately swallowed them by the fiery explosion.
 
One commanding soldier, who hid behind a military jeep as his cover, held a phone connected to the jeep's radio. Screaming into the phone, he shouted:
""... Bridge Command! Come in! This is Captain Ferolds, `Gemini one' Platoon in `Parisa Square', central! We've got a situation down here and require immediate assistance! - Damn it! - We've lost `Gemini' two thru seven and our tank brigades for defense have been compromised! We've taken heavy casualties and are unable to protect the civilians!""
Shortly interrupted by an explosion not far away from his position, a lot debris flew around, along with soldiers shouting 'Medic!' - He shouted further into the radio, ""We're being overwhelmed by several new creatures! And one of these bugs is just as tall as a standing Destroid! I repeat! We need immediate assistance! Parisa Square district, central"", he paused shortly trying to remember where the hell they were, ""Delta-Charlie two-one --- Hotel-Indigo three-zero! Do you copy ?! over!""
 
After a few seconds, a female voice from the phone replied back:
""Understood, Gemini one! We are sending in air support, including reinforcements troops... Gemini one, you are to retreat from your position and to enroute to the southern section of the `Parisa Square' District. Rescue any civilian you can. Air support will provide cover while your platoon and others can retreat from the combat zone... November one, do you copy? Over.""
 
Another voice spoke - A man's voice that sounded very self-concious and cool, ""Acknowledged, Bridge Command - Enroute to Parisa Square. ETA... three minutes... over and out.""
""Gemini one"", the female voice said again, ""Help is on the way. Your priority is to retreat... over.""
 
""Roger... over"", the man said and calmed himself down as he heard another explosion behind him..., ""and out."" The commanding soldier changed his frequency to an all-around-broadcast and said, ""To all units in the area! Disengage and retreat towards the south! I repeat, disengage and make your way to the south! Rescue anybody who you can! Over and out...""
 
""Sir, this is Sgt. Wendle! That 'heavy thing' is heading straight our way! We are retrea- !"", a voice said from the radio... He could see large groups of soldiers running back, heading southwards...
 
"Com' on, Com' on!", the captain said, "- Let's MOVE!"
He and a few others jumped into the jeeps and drove down the street, heading southwards... While driving away he looked back and saw one wounded soldier running out of a building. He immediately ordered to stop the jeep. The soldier had two shards stuck through him and that he was desperately running for his life - he dropped his rifle as he tried to run ... and fell... It was too late for him...
The commanding soldier had no other choice but to leave the area...
 
 
 
 
----