Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Echoes of Destiny ❯ The Spark Between Spring and Summer ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Echoes of Destiny
The Spark Between Seasons

***

After running between the NSX and the Dome about eight times to finally put the FTO back into at least a half-decent shape, Zazu realized how tired and hungry he was and graciously accepted an invitation to eat some food from Fahren. That was all he would impose on the Royal Family, so he left for the NSX to get some rest.

Unfortunately, he did not sleep very long, despite how exhausted he felt. After laying in bed for the longest half an hour ever, he decided that while he was awake, he might as well get some work done.

So for the past hour or so, he kept himself occupied with tweaking the wirings of the controls on the bridge to get the fighter mechas unlocked. He wasn't a computer hacker, after all; Geo knew that, so why did he ask Zazu to figure out the password? It was almost a pity they hadn't brought along one of Zazu's brothers who was an excellent hacker, but then again, Zazu was one of the only people in his family to be completely affiliated with the army.

He sighed and dropped his pliers to the metal floor. He was too tired to do a job as simple as rewiring.

Bright news: at least I'm starting to get tired, he thought, climbing out from beneath the open panels and subconsciously typing random keys on the console.

Zazu glanced out the large windows of the NSX and stared at the Bravada. Everyone had to be asleep at this hour, and he wondered what Geo was doing on the mobile fortress for as long as he was. With a small chuckle to himself, he wondered if he had fallen for one of the princesses, but when his mind wandered a little too far, he blushed, coughed, and moved his thoughts elsewhere.

What irritated him the most about everything that had been going on was that he was now thoroughly convinced that no matter how many times Eagle and Geo had reassured him that they judged people based on their skills and personalities and not their age, they truly were biased against teenagers. Never mind that Eagle was only less than a year off from becoming a true, legal adult in Autozam and was the youngest commander that Autozam had ever promoted; there was no way that he trusted Zazu fully with anything. Being his best friend and sub-commander aside, no wonder Eagle only trusted Geo with loads of information about the mission.

And it wasn't as if Geo was any better. Yes, Zazu knew about the Audi TT and he probably should have trusted Geo with Eagle's disease, but Geo had the right to do likewise. It wasn't, after all, as if Geo refused to give Zazu full information about what had been going on only a few hours ago because it really wasn't his place to say (to which Zazu asked, "If it isn't his place, then whose is it?"), but it was more likely because he didn't trust Zazu to take the news logically enough to handle the situation. He wasn't a wailing teenage girl; he knew how to take serious issues realistically and not overdo his emotions.

Also, sure, Eagle and Geo may be commanders and it was their duty to handle diplomatic issues, but why was it that every single time they did so, they ushered Zazu away from the bridge or managed to find him something "constructive" to do?

Yeah. The three of them were really close friends. Right. It wasn't about trust anymore for Zazu; it was about the stupid age difference!

Just as he was about to give up with the password combination and close up the panels for the night so he could finally get some rest--after all, he felt like he could get some sleep now--the computer beeped wildly at him, and his eyes glanced at the olive screen.

He blinked.

Password Disclosed.

He grinned tiredly. "Well, it's about time. Let's see what it is, then..."

After punching in a few more keys, the password popped up on the console, and it took Zazu a while for the words to register in his head. When it did, his eyes widened and his jaw fell ajar.

Yurushite Kudasai.

"What the..." Zazu breathed. "'Please forgive me?' But that's--is this what Eagle changed the password to?"

There was absolutely no possibility that it could have been a randomly chosen phrase. In that case, it would be something patriotic or simple yet hard to figure out, like an obscure vocabulary word that students would learn once and forget for the rest of their lives.

Was Eagle apologizing for keeping such horrible secrets from Geo and Zazu...?

Or, because everyone onboard the NSX knew that Geo's forte was commanding and piloting, not having anything to do with computers and that Zazu was the only capable person of getting into anything...

Zazu shook his head. That was too far-fetched.

Then what was Eagle apologizing for...?

From the corner of his eye, he noticed a bright ruby light flashing from the security computers, and out of curiosity and hope that Geo had returned, he hopped over the commanding bridge onto the operations level and peeked at the television. Most bridge members had gone off to bed, and the security officer had left to get something to eat. Zazu didn't know how long he had been gone, but it didn't matter anymore.

For when Zazu watched the screen, he noticed that the transport that Geo had taken with him to the Bravada had recently arrived to the Dome.

Didn't Geo say that he was going to spend the night on the Bravada?

Unless...

"It can't be!" he shouted and ran back to the commanding bridge.

The communications screen was blank with only one message:

I'm sorry.

Zazu gritted his teeth. "Eagle, what the hell is going on?" he demanded, but the only answer he received was the sounds of the FTO taking off into Cephiro's airspace.

"Geo, when you get back here, you are going to die," Zazu hissed and hastily contacted the Dome.

***

Chang Ang listened to the desperate cries of the young mechanic from Autozam intently and calmly. He had noticed the commander's escape from the Bravada as well and had been about to contact the NSX with the news when a couple of handmaidens came to ask about the meals; there was only enough food for less than two days for just the royal family and less than a day for everyone onboard. Chang Ang promptly waved them off, telling them he had greater worries at the moment, and when he turned back to the crystal ball, the giant robot had left the bay of the Dome.

Chang Ang had to compliment the commander; he was very quick for someone who was supposed to be in an ailment. It was a pity that Chang Ang had no time to put up a stronger shield to prevent him from coming inside the Dome.

"I understand," Chang Ang answered. "I will try my best to stop him."

The young mechanic looked sheepish. "If it's not any trouble, could you make sure that you don't hurt the mecha?"

Chang Ang smiled. "I will be sure not to. Lady Aska will not be using any of her magic for at least another week, and I certainly have no intent to go to drastic measures."

"I don't expect you to; I have a feeling that Geo let this happen."

"Now, why would he do that?"

"That's something you'll have to ask him, sir."

The elderly man sighed as he waved his hand to switch off the communication link. "I will do my best."

Even if the only effective way I can think of to stop the persistent man is most likely going to fail.

Talking certainly had its many disadvantages, but no other way would work. Forcing him to stop would not deter him from continuing to go out and do whatever he was planning to do to get the Pillar, and it would soon turn into something like a game. One winner would walk away with the prize, while the other had to continue to win in order to gain victory. A conversation--a persuasive conversation--was the only thing that would work.

Chang Ang cast a small spell, but in the sphere only darkness appeared. Either the mechanic had neglected to repair the visual communications or the commander refused to be seen. It didn't matter; as long as there was audio, Chang Ang would be satisfied.

"I am correct in assuming that I am speaking to the commander, Eagle Vision," he began slowly. He received no answer. "I am Chang Ang, royal adviser and great uncle to the Lady Aska of Fahren. I am curious; how did you manage to get past the barriers?"

Silence.

"That is not important, I suppose. However, I also wonder how you managed to escape the Bravada. I heard that the royal guards are formidable opponents."

"The royal guards were off-duty."

Chang Ang smiled at the response. "I heard that the princesses were also well trained in physical combat."

"They let me past."

He frowned. Would the princesses of Chizeta really do such a thing when they had made a promise to the sub-commander? "May I ask why?"

The commander hesitated. "It's... not easy to explain."

"I would not imagine that they would shed off their loyal words to your sub-commander so quickly and easily."

His voice grew darker. "Please do not assume things. That is not what happened. It is not as simple as that I asked to leave and they permitted me to do so; I argued down one princess and the other was left with... other business to attend to."

"And what of your sub-commander? From his looks, I assume that he will refuse to let you past."

The commander sighed. "With all due respect, Geo's appearance does not match his personality. I see that you have all planned this out carefully to make sure that I would not attempt to try to gain the Pillar again."

"We have. I am surprised that you figured out that your robot was not on your battleship."

"It was too obvious. I knew that he would go to any lengths to make sure that I would not go anywhere and that he would try to fool me. Putting the FTO on the NSX would be unintelligent; leaving it on the Bravada would make it too easy for me to escape; so, apparently, the Dome is the only place where it would be located."

"How did you get past the barriers?"

"Autozam's technology is stronger than magic."

"And yet I was also able to make contact with you," Chang Ang pointed out, to which the commander refused to answer after a short while of waiting. "Did you allow me to talk to you?"

The commander sighed but did not respond.

"Did you allow me to make contact with you and to speak to you?" he asked again.

"I..." the commander said, and hesitated. "I... need you to give a message to Geo. I doubt that we'll ever be able to talk again."

"You have low faith."

"No. I actually have full confidence in myself."

"So, you really are willing to die."

The commander laughed softly. "I see this is a big topic among all of you. Princess Tatra had asked me the exact same thing a little while ago, and Geo even challenged me on it."

"He wants to save your life."

"I know. It's not that I have any regrets about my decision--I just... believe that I should get rid of one more obstacle."

Chang Ang frowned. "I disagree with how you are approaching this. Can you not talk with him face to face?"

"I-- we already tried that."

He sighed. "Very well then. Tell me what you wish to tell your... friend."

***

Geo sat on a step of one of the staircases adjoining the platform, which the sisters called the centre, to the scenic bottom level of the Bravada, his elbows on his knees and his head down so that his eyes studied the granite tiling of the step below him. His mind, however, wandered elsewhere.

Tatra, who stood atop the balcony addressing the speaker below in the magic pool, called, "Geo-san, did you hear--"

"Yes."

Geo could feel Tatra frowning. She hesitated, for one thing, before she said, "Thank you, Chang Ang-san."

"I am terribly sorry," the elderly man replied.

"No. Don't worry about it. There was nothing you could have done," Geo replied, his eyes slipping closed.

Quietly, to himself, he muttered, "There was nothing anybody could have done."

Distantly, he heard Tatra bid the Fahren man farewell. He blocked out all sound afterward, allowing himself to be eaten up by his own turmoil. He slowly opened his eyes but never lifted his head.

He knew that Eagle never wanted to invade Cephiro for Autozam's sake. Somehow, he knew. There were just too many other things going on when Eagle told his father about the Pillar System for Eagle to be determined enough to save their country from the permeating pollution. Probably the main thing Geo noticed throughout the entire invasion was how Eagle reacted to the topic of Lantis. He would get a little down, but his soul would clamber back and beyond, higher than it had ever been before then. And Geo did not suspect; somehow, he knew that Eagle was invading for Lantis's sake.

But why Lantis? Could there have been more to their relationship than what met the eye?

And would Lantis even approve of Eagle's intentions to die for his sake? It would be through either one of two ways: actually physically dying in the attempt to gain the Pillar, or emotionally dying if he managed to become the Pillar. Either way, Geo doubted that Lantis would agree with it anymore than he did.

So why? Why was Eagle doing this for Lantis? Could he have been just as suicidal?

Lantis had never struck Geo as a suicidal person. It didn't make sense.

But what other explanation could there have been?

"Thank you for everything." was Eagle's message to Geo. "But this is for the better. I hope you never see our friendship as a waste, but if you do... it was for the better, anyway."

"For whose sake?" he muttered. He shut his eyes again in an attempt to clear his mind.

"Geo-san?" A soft hand gently touched his shoulder. Geo looked up to his Tatra staring at him, concerned, and he sighed.

"I don't know how to react to all of this. I... don't want to lose him. I can't lose him."

Tatra shook her head. "I cannot help you. It is for you to decide."

Geo nodded and turned away. "I know... but I can't let him die. He can't expect me to just let him die! I don't care if he wants it... I don't care about the Audi TT or anything like that. He knows he's going to... die... but... I can't stand for him to throw away his life like that. I was not brought up to let my best friend do that."

"So do you think that maybe you should stop him? Are you sure?"

"If it's the only way. I can't lose him, but I'd rather... I don't care if he loses me, I don't want to lose him. I need to go out there." He stood up, fists clenched with determination. "I will stop him no matter what."

Geo turned to leave, and Tatra jumped to her feet and grabbed his arm. He turned around and saw a panicky princess, desperate to not lose someone very important in her life. Seeing that, his heart nearly stopped, and the pleading tone in her voice was enough to make him want to sit down again:

"Even if it means your own life?"

And, then, Geo saw in Tatra somebody familiar, someone he only came fully face-to-face with not so long ago. It was his first true moment of empathy, and he wanted to turn around and let Eagle do his own wishes so that at least one person would be happy. But he knew what he had to do, so he inhaled deeply and sharply and slowly nodded.

Tatra widened her eyes in mournful surprise. Geo slowly backed away, his heart wanting to apologize but his mouth refusing him the opportunity. Giving up, he turned around and jogged to the hangar of the Bravada as he quickly contacted Zazu to make sure that the GTO was ready to fly.

He had subconsciously felt his heart shatter when he let her go...

Chapter Six: An Overrated Summer