Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Echoes of Destiny ❯ An Overrated Summer ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Echoes of Destiny
An Overrated Summer

***

The Creator was upset.

Hardly ever was there a time when His disciples, His creations, had made far more accurate predictions that He ever had, and now that They had proven themselves to be right, He was upset.

"How did a new candidate arise so suddenly? HOW?!" He bellowed.

Windam sighed. "We warned You. We told You."

"Maybe We should have shown Him," offered Selece.

The Creator grumbled, "I should have seen it for Myself. It was no fault of Yours, Mashin. But how did a candidate arise like this, and so suddenly?"

"I would not jump to conclusions like this if I were You," said Rayearth. "Selece, Windam, the Magic Knights may call upon Us soon. We must be in a position where they can easily reach Us."

"Agreed."

When the three Mashin disappeared, the Creator sighed and moaned, "I never meant for this to happen. I hope Rayearth is right; I hope I am overreacting."

And He returned to His state as Mokona.

***

Eagle knew that the only way to avoid any further interruptions, he had to hide. Luckily the FTO had a built-in stealth device, or else it would be difficult to find a suitable time and place to get some rest. As much as he hated to admit it, he was exhausted from the past many hours of fighting both verbally and physically, and he wished to avoid the challenge of his emotional altercations; sleep was the only way he could get it. He knew he took a great risk by doing so, for this time, if he did fall into an eternal sleep, nobody would be there to snap him out of it. By the time they discovered him, it would be too late.

But he needed the Pillar system, and he could not let himself lose it because he chose sleep.

Regardless, he needed to land the FTO someplace so he could recollect himself and go over his plans for gaining the Pillar system. Lantis had said that there was a certain road for the testing; perhaps if he tried to find that?

He shook his head. His mind could not wander now. He had to attend to the matter at hand: hiding.

"Eagle!"

He stopped the FTO's flight and turned the giant mecha around to see a sleek, olive robot stop in mid-air only half a battleship's distance from the other.

"Geo?"

The communication system Eagle had set up only allowed for audio conversations; video had no part in it, so he could not see his companion's face. But he knew it had to be him; Geo would never let anybody else touch his GTO unless that person managed to do it while his back was turned. Much like what Lantis did only a few months ago, Eagle remembered the fond memory bitterly.

"I see Zazu has broken the new code," said Eagle as cheerfully as he could muster. Geo was far from amused.

"I'm not going to let you do this."

Eagle shook his head and sighed. "Geo, you say that as if there was a choice in all of this--"

"Isn't there? I thought Lantis called this place a land of will, not a land of fate."

"It's more complicated than that."

"I don't believe that. You want to become the Pillar. I don't want you to. And I will make sure that you don't through any means necessary."

"Even if it means killing me?"

"Eagle, I'm doing this to save your life. What's the point in everything if I kill you?"

"What's the point in everything if killing me was the only way I will ever be stopped?"

Geo hesitated. Eagle closed his eyes.

"I'm going to die anyway," he muttered.

Geo's angry voice responded, "No, you won't. From the sounds of it, if you become Pillar, you will die. That almost makes me wonder what you're going to do with the Pillar once you have it. What are you going to do? Wish what you will with Lantis and then kill yourself, thus killing Cephiro? That sounds like a grand plan to me. I'm sure the people of this country will be thrilled."

Eagle shook his head, his eyes opening into narrow slits. He resisted the urge to grin at Geo's sarcasm, which had been next to nonexistent in the past. "That's not it," he answered.

"Then what? Enlighten me."

Eagle didn't answer for a while as he debated the consequences of telling Geo everything, much less even a portion of it. He soon decided that, if Geo was so adamant on the subject of death, why not expand further on it and not talk about anything else?

"If I fail to receive the Pillar, I will fall into eternal sleep. Nothing can stop that, no matter how many times you jolt me awake. It's the same even if I do become Pillar, because I cannot take care of myself before I take care of the country. I take care of the country by allowing myself to fall into an eternal sleep."

"So, you choose to throw your life away either way," said Geo slowly, dangerously. Eagle nodded. "And what is Lantis's role in all of this?"

That Eagle refused to answer. "I know you're upset because my goals are not what you previously thought. I know that you're upset because I refuse to help Autozam's pollution through my becoming Pillar, and I know that you cannot stand the fact that I choose to do this for Lantis's sake rather than Autozam's."

"While you did lie to me, I'm more upset that you choose to die sooner rather than later."

"I'd rather die honorably than like an old man."

A metal slam rang through the communicator, and Geo growled, "You think this is honorable?!"

"You think it would be more so if I had chosen to do this for your sake?"

Pause. Geo then laughed bitterly. "It'd be less honorable if you did it for my sake. I'm not worth your trouble."

"So, then, why do you insist on stopping me?"

"Because isn't that what friends are supposed to do? Stop each other from making stupid mistakes?"

"That never stopped you from coming along with me on the invasion even though you thought it was sleazy, that we were betraying Lantis by doing this."

"The stupid mistake I'm referring to is your getting yourself killed. All the others I'll come to accept someday; I would never forgive myself if I let you die despite your own reasoning, no matter how 'good' or 'honorable' it may sound."

Eagle sighed. "If I recall correctly, I remember that you told me that you would follow my orders no matter what?"

"Letting you die was never part of the deal. And I said that I would follow you no matter what, and damn it, I'm going to live up to that promise!"

Eagle blinked at Geo's words. Could he have possibly meant...?

"So, if I die, you would die, too? Isn't that hypocritical of you?"

"Your life is worth more than mine. It's as simple as that. So I cannot let you kill yourself, and I'm dedicating myself to make sure that you will not. And if becoming Pillar means that you die, then I will stop you from becoming the Pillar of Cephiro. I promise you that."

Eagle chuckled at the irony, a thought popping into his head. "Even if it means that you must become the Pillar yourself?"

There was another pause. Eagle frowned, almost immediately regretting his words and wishing he could have taken back what he said just as soon as Geo answered:

"Yes."

Eagle stared at the intimidating mecha for a while, his mouth hung open ajar and his eyes widened as if earning to grasp the tips of his ears. He knew what this meant. He knew that if he had to fight Lantis before because of the competition he would be up against, knowing that they would have to battle eventually, he would have to do the same with Geo. Geo was willing to become the Pillar for Eagle's sake.

He had to do what he must. He narrowed his eyes and nodded slowly.

"Very well then."

And he attacked.

***

The white fighter's flight did not go unnoticed by the people within the palace. The citizens stood agape at the sight of it, murmuring speculations about its purpose. Some went hysterical, certain that the palace was about to suffer from an attack; others went about their own business. Mokona followed the three Magic Knights to one of the windows where they could better see the proceedings, and when they noticed another fighter approach the white one, the three girls wondered what in the world was going on.

Mokona seemed oblivious, but the Creator knew, and He could hear the two fighters' conversation.

He wished that He could communicate with the Mashin, for Their guidance was greatly desired. He could see into both of the men's hearts, and he saw something he never wished to see.

A fourth candidate had arisen.

Mokona muttered, "Puu."

The Creator shrieked, "This -- wasn't -- supposed -- to -- happen!"

***

Lantis's heart fell in dismay. It was too unreal to see the FTO and GTO fighting in real combat where one could actually destroy or cripple the other far beyond repair. Besides being absolutely clueless as to what had happened in the previous battle between the NSX and the other two mobiles of Chizeta and Fahren and the aftermath of that, he knew not what altercation could have happened between the two best friends that would cause them to want to murder the other.

No, that couldn't be it. Surely it had to be a brawl of some sort, for it was the only type of fighting he had known Eagle to take up.

He heard Clef and Ferio and Lafarga and Presea all wonder what was going on, and he knew that they fully expected him to answer the question. Lantis would if he could; all that he could offer was a cold shoulder as he sought out a more peaceful place to watch and wonder, someplace where he could easily go out into the wide open when he needed to. It was inevitable; if he wanted to save the life of either Eagle or Geo, he would have to interfere with the battle when conditions begin to show even the slightest bit that everything was about to get out of hand.

Maybe then he could finally figure out what had happened.

Primera followed Lantis as he stormed towards one of the higher level doors of the palace. Ironically enough, the three Magic Knights had chosen to watch from that spot as well. That would explain why they were not with the others in the throne room, but at the same time, why were they at the open entryway instead of the throne room?

Lantis's eye caught the small, white, fluffy creature in the Fire Knights' arms. Somehow, seeing it there was enough to answer all of his questions about the Knights.

Primera gasped when she saw the girls standing there, watching the battle intently albeit bewilderedly, and when Lantis did not halt his footsteps, she pouted.

"Why are you going over there?" she demanded. Lantis refused to answer. She grumbled something under her breath but continued anyway. She had no good arguments to make him turn around; besides, she must have been intrigued with the battle enough to merely only follow him to where the girls were standing without further protest.

The Fire Knight was the first to notice him, and she let out a small shout of surprise and astonishment. The other two glanced his way, but silence ensued as all six (Lantis decided to include the odd creature) continued to watch.

As blurs of green and white flashed through the darkened sky and bright blue beams fired between the two, Lantis saw that despite what many have begun to assume in the throne room before he stormed out, the fighting was definitely no act. The FTO was quick to dodge most of the attacks, the GTO had suffered much damage, being the slower mecha. It was more powerful, which was why both fighters looked like they suffered equal damages, but it was all very real.

"Lantis," the Water Knight began slowly, her eyes still focused on the battle, "they said that you came from Autozam--"

The Fire Knight gasped, "Umi-chan!"

"So, I was just wondering, do you, by chance--"

"I know those two men fighting, yes, but I do not know why they are fighting," answered Lantis, deciding to get it all over with quickly. The Water Knight snapped her head towards him, baffled, probably because he had certainly answered the questions she was about to ask.

"One of them is Eagle, isn't it?" asked the Fire Knight sheepishly. Lantis nodded. "Is the other his friend?"

Lantis hesitated before answering. Was Geo still Eagle's friend, or had the circumstances the past several hours changed everything? But there was no way their friendship could have been damaged in that short of time!

He slowly nodded again.

"Then why are they fighting?"

Lantis didn't answer, and the redheaded girl averted her eyes towards the ground. She pulled her head away from the creature in her hands, and since it was something he couldn't miss, Lantis turned to see what had happened.

The red orb on the forehead of the creature was yellow.

He blinked.

***

"Selece, Windam, I do believe that the Creator has finally decided to open the Path," Rayearth announced.

Selece and Windam, in Their Mashin form, glanced His way nervously. "What do You propose that We do?" asked Windam. "The Knights cannot be involved in the Testing, can they?"

"They may call upon Us," said Selece. "I believe that is what Rayearth is trying to say."

"Hikaru has to be out there, for she is a candidate."

Selece and Windam gaped. Rayearth slowly nodded.

"I suppose that to lessen the suspicion, the Creator may want all three girls to be out there as well. We have to tell them that they must fight."

"Even though they really will not?" asked Selece.

"That is the Creator's plan."

"Who are the other candidates?" asked Windam. "We know Your Knight, possibly the Autozam commander, maybe even the magic swordsman--"

"And the sub-commander from Autozam," Rayearth replied. The other two were at a loss for words. Rayearth continued, "We must get Our Knights to call upon Us as soon as possible."

***

The three Knights departed from the palace and had called upon their legendary Mashin, perhaps in response to something that Lantis missed, or maybe to protect the palace if the two should attack at any given point--or if one fell and the other decided to ambush. Either way, Lantis knew that he had to go out there, because to his dismay, things were beginning to look nasty.

He didn't care if the friendship was lost among the four. He could not stand by and let somebody he cared about be killed by someone else he loved.

Lantis called upon his seijyuu. Primera stared at him disapprovingly as he mounted the black horse.

"What's the point of going out there?" she demanded. He glared at her, indicating to her that she needed to follow, and she sighed. "They're just going to be suspicious of you again."

"Puu!" the white creature cried, and Primera turned to it.

"You stay out of this!"

Lantis stared at the white ball of fluff, whose red orb had returned to its ruby state. The normal humps of its eye creased with excitement and anxiety, and its tiny arms reached out to Lantis as if begging to go along.

Lantis frowned. What did this creature know that everybody else didn't? He sighed.

"Get on," he said, and the creature immediately jumped at almost an impossible height for its size.

"WHAT?!" Primera shrieked, annoyed, but when Lantis commanded the horse to head towards the battlefield, Primera wailed and chased after him immediately.

***

The Creator, choosing a comfy seat on the neck of the seijyuu created by the magic swordsman, saw that everything was now into position. Everything was almost the same; the only difference was instead of three candidates, there were four.

"Now to choose the more worthy," He announced to the three Mashin. "It is now time. The Path to the Pillar will now open."

Chapter Seven: The Drought