Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Mechanical Wings ❯ Long Since Fallen from Grace ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Six: Long Since Fallen from Grace

I returned to my room and sat down on the bed. The sun was setting and I felt weary. Probably from a combination of things; the time difference of Chizeta and Autozam. The conversation I had with Tatra, the various thoughts on my mind. . .

I leaned back and found myself lying horizontally across the bed. I rolled over onto my stomach and crawled to the center of the bed; burying my face into the soft pillows. Silently, I just lay there...

        * * *

Day one of the conference hadn't run as smoothly as I'd hoped. First of all, it had been delayed for several days. Fahren's Emperor had come the day after us, but Clef hadn't been able to, nor had the prince, so who ended up appearing in their place? Lantis. Yes, he just came marching in all fancy in his Cephirian robes with some apology on "The Prince" and his "Advisors'" behalf. Apparently he's something of a vice foreign minister for Cephiro. I find it odd that in all of my journeys to that mystical land, I never discovered that. Anyway, he hadn't arrived until the fifth day into our stay.

A good five hours were more or less wasted with the three countries bickering-I say three because Lantis said no more than three words during that entire time. I suppose one could say he was observing and absorbing everyone's' opinions and views but it's hard to say really. He could have just, not wanted to be bothered with issues that didn't have much relevance to him.

We'd recessed for an hour and returned for several more. When we'd adjourned for the day, everyone had gone their own separate ways. Some went to their respective rooms within the hotel-convention center, while others- like myself had ventured out into the Chizetan city for fresh air and a chance to stretch out. I'm not sure where Lantis had disappeared to. Part of me wanted to avoid him, part of me wanted to hunt him down and strangle him. "One can't gain another's love if one's faint of heart"-What a load of crap! I was patient, I stood by and did nothing just as he said and where has it gotten me? The bottom of several liquor bottles, that's where!

We made no more headway on day six. It felt like we were back in the second grade with the way everyone was acting. If only Tatra, Aska, her advisor and I were conducting these negotiations. Things would be running so much smoother. I have no doubt that we would have some sort contract at least partially worked out, but no. The topics of discussion are too important for representatives and would be Rulers alone to work out. Lantis' presence didn't help matters. Personally I think that getting the leaders of; Autozam, Chizeta and Fahren together, in a small room was a really stupid idea. There's too much bad blood between the three of them.

At one point it was quite obvious that Lantis' patience had worn thin. Tatra noticed this as well and redoubled her efforts in calming her father and mother it was mostly the mother we were worried about. I'm glad Tarta wasn't there. I imagine she'd only make matters worse. It really is a pity Chang Ang couldn't come. If only the Emperor had permitted Aska to attend and if only Mr. Vision validated my opinions more. . .am I sounding repetitive? Maybe just a little.

But, as I was saying, Chizeta did eventually ease up, my hats off to Tatra. Unfortunately this allowed Autozam and Fahren to focus all of their energy into the onslaught of verbal attacks against each other.

The meeting came to an abrupt end when Lantis slammed his palms onto the table, stood up and left the room.

Tatra cleared her throat and all eyes fell on her. But Tatra being well, Tatra, simply smiled. Taking nearly everyone present aback, "Perhaps we should follow in the Representative of Cephiro's footsteps and bring today's meeting to an end. Wouldn't you agree?" she asked her parents.

"Yes. . ." her father said. "Perhaps. . ." Her mother remained quiet.

I looked to President Vision. His jaw was set but he said nothing. The Emperor grumbled about something or other, got to his feet and just like that, left. The president followed suit. Tatra allowed concern to wash over her face, but only after Mr. Vision's back was to the royal family. She turned to speak to her father; I felt it wrong to stay so I followed my president.

By the time I'd left the conference room, he was already several feet away from me. There was no sign of Fahren's Emperor. I made no attempt to keep pace with Mr.Vision. He stopped at the end of the corridor, and as I neared, I saw that he was conversing with Lantis. Neither held exceptionally happy faces. I found it odd because as I recall, he really liked Lantis-from the few instances that they'd met that is. . .

"Geo!" I heard someone call. I turned to see Tatra running up to me. I waited for her to catch up. When she did I apologized on behalf of President Vision. She shook her head and said it wasn't necessary.

I heard the creek of the nearby doors opening and turned to see Mr. Vision just as he walked threw the thresh hold and disappeared in the stairwell. I saw no sign of Lantis which I thought was rather curious.

My attention fell back on her when I heard her clear her throat. She asked me what was wrong and I told her. To my surprise a sly grin appeared on her face. For her to smile was one thing but this, this grin of almost deviousness was unknown to me. "Yes," she said in a tone I'd never heard her speak. "He does that sometimes doesn't he?"

I stared at her a moment confused. "Wha-what do you mean?" I had a feeling all of a sudden. "How would you know?"

Her eyes crinkled slightly as her grin widened, "Autozam isn't the only country our dear Lantis visited in the past you know."

"What?" I remember yelling. Just what had she meant by that remark?

She giggled in that cute little way I've only known her to and started walking away. "That's between him and I; Geo!"

"What?!" By this time, she was outright laughing and all but prancing away. I found her last comment more unsettling than the first. I shrugged it off though. She was probably just messing with me. She did that sometimes.

Not much else happened after that day. Near nothing happened the next day either but everyone seemed to be in a less hostile mood. That was good. The thick tension that had been floating around a mere two days before had dissipated, somewhat. By the ninth day, we actually made some headway.

Today is day twelve. There were a few quarrels during the meeting, not too bad, thankfully. It's not going to set us back several days at least. Still, I'm feeling rather stressed. Man, I'll be really glad when this whole conference is done and over with.

My stomach's grumbling. Oh, yeah, I guess it's been a while since I last ate. You loose track of these things sometimes you know? It's probably been what, good six or seven hours since my last meal? Better get some food into me or think I might start bitching soon.

I'd long since exchanged my country's currency for Chizeta's and it hasn't taken me too, too long to figure out what coinage and what bills are worth what. I checked to see what money I had on me and decided to go out for my- all be it- late dinner.

I walked several blocks until I came across an appealing restaurant and shortly upon my arrival; I was seated at a singles table. I looked over the menu but found myself at a loss. Everything was so. . .alien. I suppose I could have asked but. . . I randomly selected a meal and asked for a glass of water to accompany it.

The waitress recommended I have some tea. I agreed but asked for water as well.

I contented myself with taking in the unknown Chizetan scents and listened to the light music playing in the background. My water arrived almost immediately. I had to wait quite a while for my supper though.

I started into the dish and found that most of it; I quite liked. There were a few goopy things I really didn't care much for, but the rice and the flat bread was nice.

As I ate through the meal, I happened to come across a substance that was yellow and dry in appearance, contrasting the slimy gloopy things on my plate. No sooner had I tried a bite, I covered my mouth and began coughing on the spice of it as my eyes began to water. Too spicy! This is WAAYY too spicy for me! I yelled in my head. I downed both my water and my tea, but it helped me none. Where the hell is a glass of milk when you needed it?!

"Eat the slimy gray stuff." It was Lantis.

Desperate for relief, I heeded his advice and after shoveled several scoops into my mouth, "thanks," I breathed.

"Mind if I sit down?"

"Suit yourself," I resumed my meal. "How'd you know I was here?"

"I didn't. I was dinning here as well. I was just about finished when I saw the minute spectacle you were making of yourself." He flagged down his waitress and asked for his bill, she nodded and with that, she took off.

"It's a nice place. This restaurant," I announced after a few moments of silence.

"The owner has come a long way." He said in response.

"Oh?" I asked; beckoning him to continue. It's not that I was particularly interested in where the conversation was heading but it gave us something to talk about.

"It was six years ago, I suppose." He said fondly. I found it odd considering it was Lantis I was talking to. Wait did he say six? "He only had a small food stand somewhere in the slums back then-"

"Six years ago?"

"That's what I said."

"But you only came to Autozam five years ago, when Eagle had just turned eighteen." I argued.

He let my rude interruption slide. "Your country wasn't the first I'd visited when I left Cephiro Geo. With the particular "Road" I'd chosen, I came across Chizeta before any other country."

"And you stayed here for a year?"

"Actually, it was quite a lengthily visit."

"I see," I said, none too enthusiastically.

"It's nice to see that he's doing well for himself."

"Sir?" Both of our attentions were drawn to the waitress.

"Thank you." He said as she set his bill on the table. From where I sat, I couldn't see how much his meal had cost. Not that I really needed to know. I was just wondering what he'd eaten and how expensive it was in comparison to mine.

I finished off what I wanted to eat of my supper and called my waitress over.

"So what was up with Ferio and Guru Clef?" I asked. After several years of visiting Cephiro and having meetings with the prince and the master mage, I came to drop the formal title. However, I wouldn't generally dare refer to Clef without stating his title before hand. It appeared as though only the magic knights were bold enough to do that.

"That really isn't any of your business now is it Geo?"

That was fair enough. I counted out the appropriate amount of money, added a tip and left it on the table as we headed out.

"Zazu's been worried about you." Lantis said after walking several blocks with me.

"I'm fine," I said automatically.

"Is that so?" He said questioningly. He stopped, his hands slid into his pockets as he glanced off into the distance. "Isolating yourself in your apartment-"

"I have not isolated myself in my apartment," I shot back, he ignored me and continued.

"Drinking yourself sick-"

"I only did that a couple of times." I defended.

"And discontinuing your visits to Cephiro. . . It doesn't sound like you're fine."

"Hey! I said I'm fine, so I'm fine!" I yelled at him.

"Oh? Hikaru's relationship with Eagle doesn't bother you in the least?

I didn't answer.

"The fact that Mr. Vision didn't shun her as he always has you, didn't affect you at all?"

"What do I care what that bastard homophobe thinks?" I retorted.

Lantis' voice remained calm. "I wonder, if Eagle was not ill, what do you suppose they would be doing right about now-"

"Shut up! Shut up! I don't want to hear it!" I grabbed his shirt with shaky hands and pulled him forward. He stood his ground. I think he muttered something about me being quick to anger, but I was so flustered I couldn't concentrate on that.

"Who's fault is that, huh?" I went to hit him but he had anticipated my actions and I soon found myself pressed against the cooling Chizetan pavement. Lantis' weight was pinning me down and struggle as I may, I couldn't move. "Get off me." I growled. "If it wasn't for you, Eagle would be-"

"What? He'd be yours? Should we presume that you would have confessed your undying love for him and everything would have been right as rain?" He asked snidely. "Do you think you really would have done that? I don't think so. You've had quite a few chances to go after him but you've never made your move."

"It's your fault! I was going to-I had a plan, but you messed that up for me. It's your fault you bastard! I was going to-" I thrashed underneath him again.

"You were going to do nothing. Eagle still would have ended up with Hikaru, even if I hadn't said anything to you. The only difference would have been that you wouldn't have me to blame for your problems."

Damn it. Why is he always right? It was foolish of me not to expect something like this to happen. Especially with the way the two of them speak about each other when one's brought up in conversation. It took me a moment to calm down. "Let me up."

He complied and I sat up.

"Nothing's set in stone. Just because they're "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" doesn't mean they'll stay together for the rest of their lives. We're not talking about Cephirians." It was a general rule and tradition that a Cephirian would have but one lover through out their life time. One could say they loved like a cheap romance novel. Their affections were eternal and unfathomable and borderline, if not completely obsessive. The late Princess Emeraude and Sol Zagato's love affair was a prime example. It was amazing and yet also, quite disturbing how the people of Cephiro loved.

Thank the heavens Eagle was of Autozam and Hikaru was of another world completely. Now that I thought about it, hadn't Umi once told me that it wasn't uncommon for the people of her world to fall in and out of love with many different people throughout the span of their lives? Is this why Lantis isn't upset over this whole ordeal? Is he banking on Hikaru making him her final choice?

I tried to study him but I learned nothing more.

"I doubt they will stay together for any real length of time," Lantis announced.

I wanted to believe in what he was saying, I really wanted to. But, "But what if they do? What are you going to do then?"

"They won't."

"And why's that, because you say so?"

Lantis smirked. "No, no. It's because, and I imagine this will be to your delight, Eagle prefers sleeping with men."

What? Had I heard him right? Did he just say, what I thought he just said? I know that Eagle has had some homosexual experiences. It's not all that surprising considering our military has an exceptionally low female enlistment rate. Even so, over the years, Eagle has had several steady or semi-steady girlfriends. . . To my knowledge, Eagle had never become all that intimate with any of the guys he'd experimented with. How would Lantis know?

I was unable to say anything for a while. I tried to stand up but I was too shaky. At last, Lantis held out a hand to help me up. I took it.

"How would you know that?" I asked. My voice had cracked twice while saying that.

Again, a smirk etched Lantis' face. He almost looked evil. "I know because he told me." Before I could let that sink in, he continued. "He also informed me that I was far better than any woman he'd been with."

My mouth was agape, my stomach knotted and turned. Lantis, and Eagle? "But, I thought you told me you weren't in love with him. . ."

"I wasn't. Nor am I nor shall I ever be."

"Your not making sense. You just said that-"

"Geo, I'm not a very fussy person, I get urges just like every other man. The thing is, if I don't have a woman to take it out on, then a man will suffice."

This revelation made me feel no better. "Was Eagle aware of this?" I asked.

"Yes. I told him my sentiments on the matter before we-"

"Wah, La, la, I don't need to know the details!" I said as my hands came to cover my ears briefly.

"He didn't seem to care though. He was quite adamant that we do it so long as I was "cool" with it."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Where was I all this time? How come I was left out of the loop? Did anyone else know? "So," I began. I noticed my mouth was dry. "You and he, uh. . .you guys-"

"Only a few times."

"A few times!?"

"Well, I wasn't sure if I liked it or not the first time round. Eagle was my first man. I wanted to know if sleeping with men was something I'd enjoy enough to make a past time out of."

A shiver went down my spine. This was a very unsettling conversation to me and I was almost afraid to ask him to continue.

"I don't mind," he said in response. Plain and simple: "Sex is sex. Whether it's with a man or a woman."

"Yet you insist that you're not gay." I said a tad too loud. Several people turned at us. My checks grew hot. The inadvertent attention seemed to have little effect on Lantis though.

"Maybe I'm just a little gay." With that he stalked off.

I stood there dumbfounded, until my feet realized that I didn't want to end the conversation yet. I scrambled after him. "Hey!" I called, as I grabbed his shoulder. The material of his clothing was very soft but now wasn't the time to admire his tailor's handiwork. I made sure to keep my voice low. "How can you be only "a little gay"?"

"I like women more." Was all he said. He shrugged off the clasp I had on his shoulder.

I came to walk at his side. "Then if nothing else, you're bi."

"I'm not bi."

"You are bi! You're the bi-est guy I've ever seen!" Have you been able to pick up on the fact that Lantis can be really annoying at times? Crap, I just yelled that for the entire street to hear didn't I? So much for trying to keep the people's attention off of me: as if the Autozam military uniform didn't make me stand out already. This is just great, now I bet everyone's going to think my military's filled with a bunch of queers. That'll go over well with the President.

"I insist that I'm straight."

"You're about as straight as a garden hose."

"Geo. When's the last time you were with someone?" Lantis asked abruptly, when we'd rounded the corner.

I was about to answer him when I fully registered what he was asking. "Th- that's personal! Why would I tell you-further more, why the hell are you asking?"

"It sounds as though it's been awhile, unfortunately, I'm in the same boat."

"What does that have to do with anything?" I shot at him. "H-hey!" his hands had fallen on my waist and before I could do anything to stop him, I found myself drawn closer to him and for a brief moment, I thought he was going to kiss me.

"I'm merely saying, that if you want, I'll lend you my body for awhile."

"Stop it!" I yelled as I pushed out of his grasp. "What makes you think I'd do anything like that with you, you horny bastard?" I'd stumbled back and fell, hitting the ground hard. I tried to stand but I couldn't. He didn't help me up this time. My heart was racing and my hands shook despite, my commands to refrain them from doing so.

"Meet me in my room within the hour," he said as he took as he started walking away from me. "Don't bother coming after that because I'll have made other plans in your absence." As an afterthought, he added, "if nothing else, think of it as practice or experience for when you're finally with Eagle."

I continued to sit after he'd disappeared from my vision. Lantis had headed back, in the direction of the convention center. When I'd finally been able to stand, I ran in the opposite direction until I couldn't run anymore. I sat down on a public bench, currently unoccupied. I was breathing heavily; sweat was streaming down my face.

I wiped my forehead with my sleeve; I then pull the material back to look at my watch. It read twenty five to eleven. I had about a half hour to make it over to where Lantis was. Wait. What am I thinking? I'm not seriously debating his offer am I? My fingers combed through my hair. I took in a few deep breaths and tried to think about something else. Tomorrow's meeting for instance.

It proved ineffective however. I started to wonder what it would be like if Lantis and I. . . No! I mustn't think about it. I want as little involvement with that man as possible. Sadly, my body holds power over my mind. I'm panting and I'm just about to knock on his door. I'm so weak. . .

I glanced sideways and when I found no one in the hallway, I knocked on his door. I waited impatiently and when I received no response, I tried the knob. It opened and I headed in. Lantis sat smirking at me. "You're late."
 
TBC