MARS Fan Fiction ❯ Nothing is as it Seems ❯ Couple? ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Blah blah -MARS not mine- more chitter -it belongs to- blah blah - -insert something clever here-.

Kira's eyes shot open when she heard the door swing open. Although she'd been in the facility for two years she still feared that her step father would come in and kidnap her as he once promised her he would. Kira laid still, her eyes wide open like a rabbit's who's hole had just been invaded.

"Hello Kira," Humiko said, her voice dark and dangerous, but barely above a whisper. Kira's face faltered, she remembered what Humiko told her earlier, but what surprised that she'd follow through like this.

Kira frowned deeply when she saw the reflection of the full moon on the knife Humiko held in her hand. A surprised gasp escaped Kira's lips, she prayed that Humiko was only going to threaten her. Kira knew she couldn't defend herself. Her heart skipped a beat as she felt the sharp blade of the picket knife against the side of her neck.

"I saw you with Rei today in your room... in this room. You two look quite smitten, an unusual couple," Humiko said although she already knew that Kira saw her looking.

"Couple?" Kira thought. She didn't know that people thought that they were a couple. Kira began to wonder if Rei saw them that way, but the thought quickly disappeared as the knife began to break the skin of her neck.

Kira's eyes began to swell with tears, it hurt to swallow and Humiko showed no signs of loosening up.

"Stay away from him. Let this be a warning," she said as she pushed the blade into her skin, just enough for it to bleed and leave a scar. "Goodnight Kira," Humiko said as she wiped the blood from the knife on Kira's bed sheet and left.

Kira shuddered as she listened to the door slam shut. She turned towards the wall and curled up underneath the sheets. Was this what her life would be like if she pursued a romantic relationship with Rei. Even if Humiko backed off Kira was certain that she wouldn't be the last. After all Rei did have a face that could launch a thousand ships.

***

The door swung open, and Kira sat up, thinking that Humiko had come to taunt her again. It was Rei, although it shouldn't have surprised her because this was the time he always came.

"Mornin'," he greeted her as he walked over to her. She figured that the weather was changing because Rei was wearing a black leather biker jacket.

"Good morning," Kira replied as she rubbed her eyes. She didn't get a wink of sleep last night.

The blood stains on her sheets caught his eye. "What happened?" he asked, his imagination beginning to run wild. Scenes of her cutting a vein, and somebody attacking her in her sleep played in his mind.

"Oh, it's nothing," she replied. Kira knew that things between herself and Humiko would only worsen if she told Rei.

Rei sat down on her cot and reached out to touch the scar. To his surprise she flinched. "You know I wont hurt you," he told her, a little hurt that he didn't have her complete trust by now. His long slender fingers traced the red almost three inch scar on her neck that stood out greatly against her fair skin. "Who did this to you?" he asked her, his voice gentle and calm

She said nothing because she knew that she couldn't bring herself to lie to him.

"It was Humiko wasn't it?" he asked her gently as he leaned in and kissed her scar. Kira's face flushed greatly, his lips were warm and soft. The sensation she felt was somewhere between slight pain and intense pleasure.

"I knew it," he said as he pulled away from her. He frowned, it pained him to know that he caused Kira pain.

"Please don't say anything about it to her. It would only make things worse," she said. "It's not that bad, I can deal with it." Kira knew that he'd be compelled to confront Humiko. "It's not your fault."

He looked down at her, his eyes piercing straight through her. "Did she ever bother you before I started seeing you?" he asked.

Kira thought for a few minutes. "No," she answered, remembering that Humiko never even looked at her before she met him.

"Then it is my fault, and I'll fix it," he replied simply.

Kira said nothing, she knew by the tone of his voice that there was no way to convince him otherwise. "She likes you a lot," Kira told him.

"I can't name many women that don't like me," he replied cockily. "She's pretty too," Rei added causing Kira's heart to drop. She knew that when it came to looks Humiko had it all. "Humiko's got a great body also..." Rei continued. Kira's heart could sink no lower. "But she's exactly like the other girls I used to date, and look at where that got me. Besides, there's already another girl I'm interested in," he told her, giving her that famous boyish grin of his.

"Another girl?" Kira asked. Her heart rose a little, if Rei had to like someone, anybody other than Humiko would be okay with her.

"Yeah, she's pretty cute. Her eyes are beautiful. I could stare into them forever. She's sweet and compassionate. There's just so much that I love about her. It's near impossible to list them all..." Rei said, becoming lost in his thoughts.

"Who is she?" Kira asked, scolding herself the second after the question passed her lips. She felt that it wasn't her place to ask him such personal questions.

"You really are daft. I've been dropping more clues than the US dropped on Japan during World War two. It's you Kira, it's you," Rei said, giving her a quick but sweet kiss on the cheek. .

Kira's hand flew up to cover her mouth as diamond-like tears began to run down her already red cheeks.

"What's wrong? I thought you felt the same way," Rei asked her worriedly.

"I do, it's just that I didn't think that you liked girls like me," Kira said as she tried to wipe away her tears. It embarrassed her that she always seemed to be crying in front of Rei. He probably thought that she was weak.

"Any guy with sense would go for a great person like you," he said as he wiped away the last of her tears and and pulled her into a hug. As she allowed herself to be held tightly by Rei her thoughts strayed to her past. Before she met Rei she wouldn't have allowed any member of the opposite sex touch her, especially like this. She remembered running out of the male doctors office during a physical examination, crying when her gym teacher tried to force her to dance with boys during sports week, hiding in the girls bathroom during recess.... Kira then noticed the strong beating of Rei's heartbeat and forgot about all her bad memories.

Rei stiffened as he remembered Humiko, and what might happen to Kira when he left if Humiko saw them like this. He pulled away from her and looked at her scar.

"I have to go," he told Kira, he really liked her and wasn't going to let some psycho get in the way of what they had going together.

"What do you mean? We have another twenty minutes," Kira said, reluctant that their embrace ended.

"I know, but I have something I need to take care of," Rei replied as he got up and straightened out his clothes.

Kira nodded solemnly. She knew what and who he was referring to. Kira worried about what he would do to her.

"Later babe," he said, giving her a nod before leaving and closing the door behind her. He looked up and down the hall, he realized that he didn't know where Humiko would be. After a moment of thinking he decided to check where they spoke first, the cafeteria. As he walked down the hall he placed his hand in his pocket, fingering his weapon of choice.

Rei smiled when he entered the cafeteria. It was just like his days at school, everything fell silent when he entered the room, almost like time had held still.

His eyes skimmed the room intensely until his eyes rested on Humiko, she sat in the center of the cafeteria with her many friends. This didn't surprise him.

"Hey there," he whispered seductively from behind her.

"Hello," she replied as she turned to face him. The girls at her table began to whisper among themselves.

"I was wondering if we could talk... someplace quiet," he said as he offered her his hand, knowing she'd accept. He hid his disgust as she took his hand and allowed him to lead her out of the cafeteria. Rei could almost read the minds of her friends. Humiko probably had a lot of fun telling her friends about their encounter and was probably convinced that he had fallen for her.

"Would you like to go to my room?" she asked sounding beyond desperate. He couldn't blame her, she probably hadn't seen a guy in a long time, let alone one as beautiful as he.

"I'd love to," he replied placing a hand around her small waist. He could feel her blushing as she pulled her close. His ability to affect women still amazed him.

She smiled and took her to her bedroom, which was down the hall from Kira's. She opened the door and allowed Rei to go first. He was surprised by how different it was from Kira's. The white padded walls were covered with posters of many male American stars, like Orlando Bloom, Josh Hartnett, Johnny Depp, etc. She had clothes strewn everywhere, many shoes, and her bedside table was pilled with makeup nail polish, and teen magazines.

"Would you like to sit down?" she asked him, she sounded very eager to please.

"Sure," he replied as he sat down next to her.

"Aren't you supposed to be with Kira now?" Humiko asked, hoping he would say that he was, but he really wanted to spend time with her.

"Yeah," he said as he leaned in close to kiss her. She accepted and wrapped her arms around his neck.

Moments later they were on top of each other and were making out.

She gasped when she felt the blade of a knife against her neck, the same place where Kira's scar was.

"Rei? What are you doing?" she asked frustratedly, she was still in a trance from Rei's kisses.

"I'm giving you what you deserve. Who the hell do you think you are, threatening Kira like that. I've dealt with a lot of girls like you, you're exactly like every other slut I've dated," he explained, tightening his grip on her when she began to struggle against him. "I have no interest in you Humiko, I never will. Kira on the other hand, I like her a lot. I don't want you getting in my way. If I find out that you've done something to her again, I swear I will kill you."

"Ha, you've got to be joking if you believe that I'll fall for a threat like that," she said, glaring at him intensely.

"I'm in juvie for a reason sweetheart," he said menacingly as he dug the knife a little deeper, just enough to draw blood. "Remember what I told you Humiko. Leave Kira alone or I will come back for you," Rei told her as he left, wiping the blood on the knife on a tissue he had and stuffed it back into his pocket.

Rei smiled deviously, he knew that he had achieved the desired effect and that Humiko wouldn't bother Kira again.

***

Kira woke up bright and early the next morning. All night she'd been contemplating her relationship with Rei. He told her that he liked her, and she told him that she liked him. Did this mean that they were dating and were a couple? Or did it simply mean that they liked each other. This entire thing was new to her and she didn't know how to handle it, nor did she know how a proper girlfriend was supposed to behave. These questions led to more questions and she ended up getting a headache so she left the thoughts alone.

To her pleasure she got a seat at her favorite table. Everything seemed brighter to her today, the sun seemed to be shining more than it ever did, the food at the ward tasted better and the people around her didn't seem so bad. Perhaps this was what it felt like to be in love.

Her heart sunk when her eyes fell upon Humiko as herself and her friends entered the cafeteria. They always seemed to be trying their hardest to capture peoples attention. Kira spotted a slash mark on Humiko's neck, which seemed much like the one she sported. She knew immediately who gave it to her.

Kira looked away quickly when Humiko looked at her. Humiko's jet black eyes looked like pools of loathing and hate. She prayed that Rei's rash actions wouldn't cause her more problems. Kira looked down at her food and began to eat her eggs that had grown cold while she was thinking.

***

"It's a nice day today isn't it?" Rei said idly, trying to break the silence between Hideaki and Akira. They hadn't spoken to each other since Rei caught them making out. "Um, how are your girls doing?" he asked.

He sighed frustratedly when he got no response. They'd been sneaking glances at each other all day. It was obvious that they were still into one another and Rei just wished that they could get over their differences so that things would go back to normal. Rei hated the stifling silence.

"You guys suck, I'm leaving to sit at a table with people that are actually alive!" Rei declared as he picked up his tray and left.

Hideaki looked up and watched Rei leave and join another table. Rei was just like that, he could fit in with any group. Everyone accepted and respected him.

"I've been thinking about you," Hideaki said softly as soon as Rei was out of earshot. He put his fork down and pushed his tray aside, he barely touched his meal.

Akira stiffened but did not reply.

"Why is this so hard for you?" Hideaki asked. "Don't you know how much you're hurting me?"

Akira's demeanor softened greatly.

"I love you Akira, I always have. I know you feel the same way! Why are you so ashamed to show it?" his voice very pained.

"You don't understand Hideaki. It's not that simple," Akira replied dryly.

"It is," Hideaki said, placing his warm hand over Akira's cool hand on the table.

He flinched when Akira jerked his hand away and looked around him to make sure that nobody saw.

Hideaki looked at him with questioning eyes and then pulled his hand away. "You're such a coward," he replied coldly as he got up and left.

Akira watched as Hideaki left. He breathed out loudly and ran a hand through his spiky hair. He wanted to be out in the open with Hideaki, and hated that he had to pretend like this because he knew how much it hurt Hideaki. Akira had no choice other than to break Hideaki's heart, over and over again.