MARS Fan Fiction ❯ Nothing is as it Seems ❯ Secrets Revealed ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Blah blah -MARS not mine- more chitter -it belongs to- blah blah - -insert something clever here-.

Rei walked into the ward. He smiled when he thought about how his attitude towards this place had changed since his first visit. Rei dreaded coming, and hated having to wake up early. Now he found himself feeling excited about seeing Kira. There was still so much he wanted to share with her. Kira was no longer just the mute he had to spend time with, she was.... something more than that. Just what? He wasn't too sure yet.

"Good morning," said a cheery voice from behind him.

He turned to face his greeter. "Uh... hi," he replied dully. Rei's mood changed a bit when his eyes traveled the rest of her body. She was clad in short denim shorts and a tight fitting t-shirt that showed off her curves. He hadn't seen a girl this hot in real life in quite a while.

"My name is Humiko," she said cheerily as she extended her hand out to him.

He looked down at her hand, and looked back up at her. Rational took over his hormones and Rei already figured out what kind of girl she was. These were hard to get rid of. "Uh, yeah I'm Rei. Nice to meet you," he said, simply to be polite. Under the normal circumstances he would have been half way into her pants by now. Strangely he found himself wanting nothing to do with her.

"You're one of the boys from the juvenile detention hall right?" she asked him, although she already knew that he was.

"Yes, I am. I have to go now. Perhaps I'll see you around," he said, giving her a quick grin before he began to move off.

"Go? So soon? We've only meet. Perhaps we could talk for a while?" she said, sounding really desperate now.

"I can't. I have someone to see," he explained as he tried to escape her once more.

"Please? What harm could it do?" she asked in a flirtatious voice leaning in towards him.

"I... uhh..." temporarily stunned by the image. He was a hot-blooded male after all. "Um, okay," he said slowly, allowing her to lead him to the cafeteria.

"Hi Kira," Rei said as he entered her room. He was silently praying that she wouldn't be upset with him for being twenty minutes late. He'd been talking to Humiko and lost track of time.

She looked up at him with the same emotionless eyes that she looked at him with the first day they met.

"Please don't be like this Kira," he pleaded, he really didn't want her to be upset with him. He thought of excuse that would get him off the hook, but when he looked at her he just couldn't find the heart to lie to her.

She looked at him for a few more minutes, and then looked away.

He sighed deeply, and then sat next to her on the cot. To his surprise she didn't scoot away from him. "I've always been pretty girl crazy. In junior high school and my first year of high school girls used to flock to me because of my good looks. I'd go out with five girls at a time, sleep with a different girl each night," at this Kira looked up at him, she was half surprised. "According to my psychiatrist I was looking for love because my mother died when I was little. I never cared for them, and none of them cared for me. They treated me like a trophy... They'd go to their friends and tell them that they just spent the night with Rei Kashino and everyone would ooh and ahh. When I think about it, it's pretty pathetic. Had I been a female everyone would have called me a slut. So, when you think about what you're stepfather did to you and think of yourself as dirty just think about me. I'm the one who's really dirty..." he said, looking down at the floor in shame.

She was utterly surprised. Kira didn't expect him to share something that personal with her. All of a sudden all the anger in her heart melted away and she found compassion for him.

"I don't think you're dirty at all," Kira said softly.

He looked up at her, her eyes were full of compassion. Rei was genuinely surprised, he didn't expect that kind of reaction from her.

"Everyone wants to be loved..." she said sadly. "You just looked for it in all the wrong places," she said, placing her hand over his.

Rei leaned in slowly to kiss her, placing a hand against her warm cheek. He watched as her eyes fluttered closed, and then followed suit. Kira's lips were more relaxed the second time around. He daringly deepened the kiss, and attempted to get her mouth open.

"Oww, I think ish beeding!" Rei cried as he jumped away from her. "Why did you bite me!" he asked, referring to his tongue.

"That was your tongue! Oh, I'm so sorry Rei. Does it hurt?" Kira asked, handing him tissue.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to I swear!" Kira said, she feared that he would never kiss her again.

"Don't worry about it," he said, his tongue stopped bleeding, and didn't hurt so much. "That's the first kiss I've ever blundered," he said jokingly.

Kira smiled sheepishly and looked at the floor. Rei wrapped an arm around her, and she leaned against him and wrapped an arm around his waist. In that moment they were both happy.

"What's wrong?" Rei asked when Kira pulled away abruptly.

"Nothing..." she said slowly, her eyes on the window in the door where Humiko was watching them.

Rei turned around, to see what she was looking at. "Is she bothering you?" he asked. In his past he'd dealt with a lot of jealous ex-girlfriends and admirers.

"No, not at all," Kira said as she looked away from Humiko.

"Are you sure, because I can talk to her... or something," Rei said, although he'd never been too good to talking out his problems, and would probably resort to "or something."

"I'm sure," Kira said, giving him a reassuring nod and a sweet smile.

Rei heard some muffled noises a he approached his cell.

"Who's there!" he asked as he entered the cell slowly. His roommate was supposed to be away visiting his family for a month. There wasn't supposed to be anybody in his cell at the moment.

"Oh, God," Rei heard somebody say. He then turned on the light. Rei gasped when he saw Hideaki and Akira scramble away from each other.

"Hello Rei, I'm sorry for borrowing your cell like this. We should have asked, but we thought that you'd be gone for a while," he said. "Akira was too ashamed to ask," Hideaki said looking directly at Akira. Hideaki then got up and buttoned his overalls.

Akira snorted and stormed out of the room.

Hideaki's face looked simply heartbroken as he watched Akira walk away.

Rei looked from the bars, to Hideaki, at the bars, and once more to Hideaki. He may have expected something like this from Hideaki, but not from Akira, the outspoken homophobe.

"So, you're..." Rei started, trying to rationalize what just happened.

"I am, and so is Akira. He's just afraid to admit it.. to himself and everybody else," Hideaki said sadly. He sounded so hollow and wounded.

"But... How can he be if he's always calling you a fag, and..." Rei said.

"That's just a mask he wears. He figures that if he acts the way he does that nobody will think he's gay," Hideaki said, as he sat down on Rei's cot.

Rei nodded, it all made sense to him now. He then went and sat next to Hideaki. "What are you in for?" he asked gently.

Hideaki looked off to the farthest corner of the room. "When I was in junior high school I figured out that I was gay. A lot of girls were in love with me, because of my gentle demeanor and pretty features. One day I was walking outside of a gay bar," he frowned deeply as he relived the memory. "There was a group of four guys hiding behind a car. When there was nobody outside, so they jumped me. They beat me until I was almost dead. Do you know why Rei?" Hideaki asked, his voice laced with pain and anger.

"Because you're gay?" Rei guessed.

"Right. That made me angry, something I'd never been before then, nor since then. I spent four months in the hospital plotting a way to get revenge. Soon enough I got names, and addresses. I killed them all, one by one..." Hideaki said simply.

"You killed them!?" Rei gasped. He was utterly shocked because Hideaki never showed any signs of having violent tendencies.

"And I enjoyed it," he admitted. "I made sure that it was painful, very painful."

"When will you be getting out?" Rei asked him, e highly doubted that he'd be out anytime soon.

"Well, I've been sentenced twenty years... I've been here two years. So I've got eighteen years left," Hideaki said. "I'm sixteen now, so I'll be out by the time I'm thirty-four. It's not that bad. The crime was worth the time."

Rei was surprised that Hideaki could be so calm about something like this. Although he was pretty wild back in his street days, he'd never killed anybody.

"Well, I should get going. Goodnight Rei, it was nice talking to you," Hideaki said with a polite nod as he got up and left.