Monster Rancher Fan Fiction ❯ The Searcher Chronicles ❯ Lord of Shadows: pt 1 - Reunion ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Lord of Shadows pt 1: Reunion

Disclaimer: I don't legally own Monster Rancher apart from the characters create

* * * * * * *

Holly sighed, it had been a year since Moo's defeat and she still missed Genki.

She looked at her friends and shook herself out of her depression, as much as she missed the boy, there was someone who'd more reason to mourn than she did.

Nancy was clearly still grieving, but was reluctant to talk about how she felt.

"Look, Lake City" Blue suddenly pointed.

The beautiful metropolis was sitting on the edge on a lake while its shrine sat on an island with this natural causeway linking it to the land.

They walked into the city and headed for the marketplace.

"Excuse me, we're looking for work" Holly said, looking round hopefully.

But the locals just bowed their heads and moved about their business, Holly sighed and lowered her head in defeat.

"I understand you're looking for some work" a man suddenly walked over to the ex-rebels.

"Yes" Holly replied.

"How are you with babies?" he looked her up and down.

"I, I don't know, why?"

"I'm in charge of the local shrine, but I also run the city's monster orphanage"

"Monster Orphanage?" Holly asked.

"Yes, it's a place where newly unlocked monsters, unwanted and abandoned by their owners can find a new home"

"But who would just throw their monsters like that?" Holly asked.

"People who wind up with a monster which they don't want or those who feel that they won't be able to offer their monster a good home anymore, although I rescue cruelty cases"

"Can we see?" Holly asked.

"Alright, oh by the way, my name's Tobias"

He led them though the streets, then stopped in front of a building that looked like a Roman villa.

"Where are the monsters?" Holly asked.

"In their rooms mostly, I guess" was the reply .

He led them into the kitchen and straight to a simple wooden door at the back.

"Here" Tobias opened the door.

A climbing frame sat out in the back garden at the top, a young male Striker leant against the wood, his head just resting on his arms.

"Who's the pretty lady" a seven year old female Angel walked up.

"Gabrielle, come meet Holly"

But the Angel just blushed and hid behind Tobias' tunic.

"What's up with her?" Holly wondered.

"Gabrielle's terribly shy, it's costing her new owners" Tobias sighed.

Then something crashed into the girl's leg, quickly looking down, Holly saw a baby Rocky Fur staring up at her with wide open eyes.

"Hello" Holly scooped up the tiny monster.

It stared at her for a minute, yawned, snuggled down in her arms, popped its thumb in its mouth, then its eyes closed.

Holly saw Tobias just staring at her in amazement

"What's wrong?"

"I've never seen Crag take to a stranger so fast before, girl, you truly have a gift with children"

"Why wouldn't he trust me?" she asked.

"Crag came from a bad home and he's distrustful of strangers" Tobias said.

"What about Striker? He seems angry" Holly asked, gently rocking the sleeping Crag in her arms.

"I know, he's been the longest, no-one wants to adopt him"

"But aren't Strikers meant to be obedient"

"They are, but every time someone considers him, they spot another young monster that they want more"

Holly just looked down at Crag.

"Do you want a job? After that display, I'm prepared to give you one" Tobias said.

"If I do, what's the pay?" Holly asked.

"Bed and board, that includes your monster friends"

Holly smiled, that was she wanted, a roof over their heads and regular meals.

"So, you in?"

Holly extended her hand.

"You don't mind if I put you up in the attic bedroom?"

"No" Holly answered.

"Good, follow me"

Once in the attic, Tobias pulled the beds round so there was two on one side and three on the other, then drew a curtain across the room, dividing the beds.

"What's that for?" Holly asked.

"A boy's side and a girl's side" he explained.

Then Holly yawned.

"Right, everyone to bed" Tobias ordered, gently taking the sleeping Crag from Holly.

Blue and Coal disappeared into the boy's area as Holly, Nancy and Minette all crawled into bed.

"Good night" Tobias closed the trapdoor after him as he left the attic.

* * * * *

In the darkness, the Shadow-Walker looked round the attic, the female Hare's loneliness had been like a beacon, leading him here.

He hadn't used his ability to control people, mentally and physically for centuries

"And now it begins" he smiled, closing his eyes

* * * * *

"Huh" Nancy stared round.

Then a brown figure walked though the mists towards her, as it drew closer, her eyes widened.

"Hare, I thought you were...."

"Like I could stay away from you" he gently stroked her cheek

"I, I missed you" staring into his eyes, Nancy jerked as if stung, the eyes looking back into her own were a cat-like red color with black veins, she backed away.

"You're not Hare" she turned to run.

"Hold"

The female Hare was stopped short by an unseen barrier.

"Look at me"

Nancy slowly turned around, she wanted to fight, to run but it was like the shadowy stranger was draining all her will-power. Gently clasping her cheeks between his hands, he blew a stream of black powder out of his mouth and it slowly trickled in between her lips.

Then Nancy's eyes closed and her head fell forward.

"Now, look at me again"

She slowly lifted her head, opening her eyes and he smiled.

"Good, now, kill the girl" he ordered.

* * * * *

Holly jerked awake as a pair of hands wrapped round her throat.

Nancy was sitting on top of her and the girl saw the female Hare's eyes were now blood-red slits with black veins running though them.

Holly gasped for air and tried to get out a choked scream.

Minette stirred in her sleep, something was wrong, she could felt it. The young pixie slowly opened her eyes, sat up in her bed and then screamed as she saw what was happening.

A few seconds later Blue and Coal both burst though the curtain, paused, then leapt forward to haul Nancy off Holly.

"Nancy, what are you doing?" the Blue Hare cried.

She didn't hear him, straining to break free of the Hare hybrids, eyes fixed on Holly .

"Release" a voice in the female Hare's seemed to say.

Nancy's eyes returned to normal

"What's, what's going on?" she looked down at her hands, confused and then scrabbled away from the others

* * * * *

The Shadow-Walker smiled, that had been easy.

He watched as the girl walked over to the female Hare, then knelt down next to her, the rabbit looked up as the girl rested one hand on her shoulder, they started talking.

He snarled, unable to hear what they were saying, then the girl gently pulled the female Hare closer to her.

"Not that it matters" he hissed, reaching to run a finger down Nancy's image "Tonight"

* * * * *

Holly sighed as she crawled into her bed, Tobias had assigned her a group of young monsters to look after today.

As well as Crag, Gabrielle and Striker, she had to look after Rex, a Prince Hare, Hoarder, a Hound Dragon, Ebony, a female Black Dino and a Daina.

Holly's day had been stretched mostly between finding Ebony's beloved teddy bear after Hoarder had hidden it (not a simple task), then preventing Rex and Daina from fighting (an even less simple task).

The other three had been no problem, Striker had kept quietly to himself, while Crag and Gabrielle had both pottered round after her.

By the sounds of snores and gentle breathing, everyone else was as tired as she was.

Holly's eyes slowly closed, her head fell back into her pillow and in next to no time, she was asleep.

No-one saw the figure which emerged from the dark areas of the attic bedroom.

The Shadow-Walker moved though the room and then stopped by Nancy's bed, gently picking the female Hare up and headed back for the darkness.

Suddenly he stopped by the sleeping figure of Holly and looked down at her.

"Sleep now, girl, for this is the beginning, you will all be mine" he whispered.

The Shadow Walker moved back towards the darkness, making a downwards slicing movement with a finger and a portal opened before him, still carrying the sleeping Nancy, he disappeared though the gateway and it closed behind him.

* * * * *

In his world, Genki stirred in his sleep, it had been six years since his return from the Monster Rancher world.

He was now a handsome sixteen year old youth and had left a trail of broken-hearted teenage girls behind him by turning them down.

As far as Genki was concerned, there was only one girl he truly wanted and goodness knows if he would ever see her again

"Boy"

"Who, who's there?"

Genki stared as an old female Mint walked though the darkness towards him.

"Who are you?" he asked.

"My name is not important, boy"

"What do you want?"

"A new threat looms over our world, you must act"

"Why me?" Genki asked.

"Because you are the foretold champion of that world" a familiar voice said into his ear.

"Myst, what do you mean?" he asked, spinning round.

"A long time ago, one of the old Guardians of the Prophet's Crystal, a seer like me got a vision of a young male off-worlder, this child would protect our world from all dangers"

"But I was the only off-worlder who, you mean" Genki's eyes widened.

"You did not christen yourself the Monster Champ for nothing, boy"

"That's not the point, grandmother" Myst turned back to Genki "Our friends need you"

"What do you mean?"

"Here, let me show you" Myst gently put her hands on Genki's head and he gasped.

He was standing in another world, but the place was a whirling mass of shadows, in the middle, a fairly large landmass was floating.

As the land drew closer, Genki saw a throne which moved like the darkness round him, the man sitting on it also seemed to be made of shadows and Genki's eyes widened. Nancy knelt on the ground next to the throne, her only movement was her breathing.

"She's, she's almost like a puppet" a sorrowful voice said, pulling the youth back into his dream.

Hare had appeared from nowhere, staring up at the image, his eyes wavering.

"And Nancy's only the first, the Shadow-Walker plans to go after the others" Myst piped up

"No, but how do I get?" Genki turned to the two Mints.

"Here" a woman with pale yellow hair walked out of the shadows and offered a white medallion to him.

Genki took it, then looked at the newcomer "Who are you?"

"Remember how I summoned your friend, Holly"

"You, you're the Sorceress" Genki looked down at the medallion.

"That pendant is attuned to the one the girl Holly wears, that and the bond you share will carry you straight to her if you just think it"

"Genki" Hare suddenly stepped forward "Please will you" the words hung unfinished in the air, but no more needed to be said.

"I promise" Genki smiled as he gently squeezed the rabbit's shoulder.

"Ready" Myst smiled.

Genki nodded, then tightened his grip on the white medallion and an image of Holly's smiling face filled his mind.

"I'm coming" he whispered, tears running down his face.

Suddenly there was a flash of white and silver light, he had to close his eyes.

* * * * *

Genki opened his eyes, he was standing in an attic.

Looking around, he saw a familiar brown-haired girl lying in a bed nearby.

"Holly, wake up" he gently shook her awake.

She opened her eyes and slowly focused on his face.

"Genki" she shrieked, throwing her arms round his neck.

"Holly, would you release me, please?"

Genki looked round as Minette sat up in her bed, just staring at him.

Alerted by Holly's scream, Blue and Coal stepped though the curtain and their eyes widened at the sight of him.

"It is a honor"

"Good to see you again"

"Where's Nancy?" Minette suddenly asked.

"Some guy called the Shadow-Walker took her" the brown-haired youth said.

"What?" Holly gasped.

"Don't worry, I made a promise, we will get her back and stop this guy" Genki said.

To Be Continued