Mortal Kombat Fan Fiction ❯ Of Butterflies and Blizzards ❯ Break of Dawn ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

When she woke up she smiled, quickly rolling out of bed and getting dressed.

It had been five months since she saw the sunrise. There was no way she was going to miss it this morning.

When she emerged she ducked and dodged to the side as snowballs flew at her. She rolled again and flipped up, dodging the icy blast that flew past her shoulder.

She stood, shaking her head. "I figured you wouldn't let up."

Kuai chuckled as he approached her. "Just because you completed it one time does not mean you are free from keeping your skills sharpened, Isabeau."

She bowed with a laugh. "I understand, master."

He laid a hand on her shoulder, "Come. You wish to see the sunrise this morning, right? I know the best spot."

She grinned up at him.

/  -  /  -  /  -  /

When they came up to a rock face he turned to her and placed his hands down, "Here I'll give you a boost up."

She nodded and placed her foot in his hand and jumped up, the extra boost helping her to grab the ledge and she pulled herself up.

He climbed up after her and pointed down the ledge.

"Down that way a little further."

She laughed, "You should really think about having ladders and rope bridges installed. Would make it less dangerous."

He shook his head, "It is good exercise. Wakes you up in the morning."

"Yeah, well I'm not that graceful."

"You will not fall. I promise."

They both pressed against the rock wall as they shimmied across the precarious ledge.

Her foot slipped just as she reached the end and she lost purchase on the wall. She yelped as she slid down coming to a bracing stop when his hand gripped hers and tugged her up and over. He stumbled back and fell, pulling her right on top of him.

They both stilled, looking at each other in shock. 

He nearly groaned at the feel of her small body pressing against him. She was soft but firm as her form belied her strength. he could see a light dusting of freckles over her nose and cheeks and her green eyes in this light were like verdant emeralds sparking with the fire of the rising sun. He could barely catch his breath.

"Are you alright, Isabeau?"

She was panicking internally. She could feel the corded muscle beneath his robes and it made her stomach do a flip. His were large and surprisingly warm on her sides as they held her. And his face was so close she could see the crystalline blue of his eyes clearly and she noticed a freckle just off to the side of his scar. She was so busy staring that she did not see his eyes fill with concern.

"Isabeau."

She jolted in surprise. "Oh-oh! Umm...yes...I-I'm fine. Sorry."

She rolled off him and shot to her feet immediately and watched in awe as Kuai kicked himself up standing from where he was laying.

She had to admit...that was impressive but he has had years of more training than she has. But it still didn't stop her pulse from racing.

He smiled at her and pointed out to the distance.

"Here it is. This is the spot I frequent when I wish for solitude, especially when I need to think."

She looked out at the sun's first rays breaking out and smiled brightly before taking a deep breath.

"Oh I've missed this. It seems like a lifetime ago that I last saw the sunrise."

He cleared his throat and she turned to look at him and noticed he was holding something out to her. 

It was a thermos cup full of hot tea.

Her gaze snapped to his in shock. "Okay, where did the tea come from?"

He looked away sheepishly, "I...may have woken earlier than normal to prepare it. You had expressed your wish to see the sunrise again and I thought this would be a way of celebration."

It touched her. That he would put such thought into this. She took the tea with a soft look.

"Thank you Kuai. That means a lot."

He grabbed another cup and poured himself a cup before standing next to her.

"Be forewarned, I do make my tea a little...sweet."

"Aha...a fellow sweet-tooth."

She took a sip and hummed. "Not as sweet as I make it."

"You make yours sweeter? How? Would it not hurt your teeth?"

Isabeau giggled, "I also add honey. It's a natural sweetener and also a good antiseptic. That's why its good for sore throats."

"I see."

They stood for a few moments more until he turned to her holding a hand out for her empty cup.

When she placed it in his palm he spoke.

"What do you plan to do after the trials? All students are given leave to return home for a short while before being placed into active status."

"I've been thinking of visiting my mother and brother's graves. I usually visit them once a month but training hasn't allowed me the time. I'm not saying the training hasn't been worth it because it has. Its been vastly rewarding as I have noticed an great improvement in my skills. Not relying on my sight allowed me to stop worrying so much. I thank you again for the opportunity to learn from you. You have been a patient and thorough teacher." 

"You are kind. I had hoped after the trials that you would consider continuing on as my disciple."

She eyed him in shock, "What? Really?"

He clasped her shoulder gently. "Yes. You have proven to be quite an efficient and quick study and you have taken to Dragon style with little hardship. With more training your skill could prove to be as great as mine one day. But you will have to put the time and effort forth and the training would only get harder. So do not give me an answer right now. Think on it and give me your answer after the trials."

"Alright."

"Are your friends ready for the trials?"

"Safiyah and Fay? Oh they are raring to get this done. Safi is always ready for a challenge and Fay never gives up, no matter what the odds are."

"The students will be divided into twos. You as my student will have to run alone."

She laughed, "I figured that much. Now water we doing here? We're burning daylight."

He laughed in reply. 

"Kids freeze days."