Mortal Kombat Fan Fiction ❯ Of Butterflies and Blizzards ❯ Trials pt. 2: Mind ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

"Here, give me your hand Fay."

"Thanks Safi."

When she pulled Fay up they stood on the small ledge for a moment. 

"So what are you going to do after today? Where are you wanting to be placed? I know you were saying something about the Frost Dragon nest."

Fay laughed, "Yes. Taking care of the baby dragons would be a better fit for me I think."

"Is that what Master Bi-Han said? Because it would keep you closer to him." Safi grinned down at her, laughing when she blushed bright red.

"Oh Fay, don't be embarrassed. Its cute how much he seems to be fond of you. Just as fond as you are of him."

"Safi, I don't think this is the time or place for this conversation."

Safiyah shrugged, "When is? I have a feeling as soon as we are back, he's going to whisk you away back to that grove and then I'm not going to see you until morning...or at the least late afternoon tomorrow."

Fay squeaked, "Safi! I-I its not like that!"

"Oh really so that kiss was just nothing right?"

Fay smiled wistfully, "No, it was gentle and sweet. Like I was something delicate to him."

/  -  /  -  /  -  /

When she entered the grove, she found yet another sculpture there.

Another bird...well two of them.

"Doves."

"Mourning Doves actually."

"They're beautiful, Bi-Han."

"Not as much as you."

She blushed, quickly hugging him and he wraps his arms around her.

"So after the Trials? Have you put thought into my suggestion?"

"About working in the Frost Dragon nest? Yes. It sounds like a good fit for me. I do like babies."

That statement sent desire curling low in his abdomen. He had to bite back a groan at the images running through his mind.

Her smiling up at him, his hand placed gently on the swell of her stomach, feeling the kicks from within.

Her holding an infant to her breast...an infant with his dark hair...no with her beautiful chocolate locks. 

He leaned down suddenly, grabbing her face gently and pressing their foreheads together, barely brushing his lips over hers until he exhales, his hot breath washing over her face before his head drops into her neck with a groan.

"I'm sorry...I shouldn't have done that..."

He pulls back and kisses her forehead. "Will you come back here tomorrow night?"

She smiles brightly up at him and nods, tracing his face softly.

He groans, pulling her hands from his face.

"Don't Fay. I already shouldn't have kissed you as your technically still my student."

She steps away with a grin, "Not after tomorrow, right?"

His grin matches hers, "Not after tomorrow, no."

/  -   /  -  /  -  /

"Damn. Well, lets get that flower and get you back to Master Bi-Han then."

Fay giggled, pink tinging her cheeks. "Safi, just stop, please. We need to focus."

Snowflakes drift down from the sky brushing her cheeks and they both look up when rumbling breaks above them.

Safi cursed, "There's a storm moving in. Damn! We need to move now."

They both reached up, pulling themselves up the rock face towards the next ledge, the dragons circling far above them.

 Fay clenched her jaw as she reached for another hold, keeping her hands cold so her fingers wouldn't slip.

'I have to do this. I have to show Bi-Han that I am worth him...worth his attention. I can't let him down.'

Her foot slipped and Safiyah underneath her pushed up against it, helping her to gain her footing yet again.

"Thanks!"

"We have to get to the next ledge quickly! The temperature is dropping fast!"

Fay nodded, "We'll have to take the caves up the rest of the way!"

"Caves?"

"Bi-Han told me about them!"

Fay's brow furrowed as she swung herself up to the next ledge.

Her friend huffed when she climbed up after her.

"So your boyfriend gave you some tips?!"

She laughed, "Its not against the rules."

"Of course not."

Fay turned and looked for the entrance and seeing a small flash of silver she smiled.

'Look for the flash of silver in the ice, that will mark the entrance. Be careful up there.'

"Thank you, elskede."

/  -  /  -  /  -  / 

Kuai watched the growing clouds with growing concern. A snowstorm today of all days. It was not supposed to be here until tomorrow.

"Damn it looks like its going to get worse. What do we do brother?"

"We wait for now. If it gets any worse, we will have to pull them back until another time."

"Damn it!" Ice exploded around Bi-Han, shocking Kuai and he grabbed his brother's shoulder shaking him roughly causing a small object to fall from his pocket. He picked it up, gasping when he realized what it was.

"Bi-Han? You-you mean to..."

He met his gaze coolly, "I have never been more sure of anything, Kuai."

"Then we can only hope they complete the task quickly."

Bi-Han scratched his head, chuckling, "Uh..haha...I may have told Fay about the caves."

Kuai laughed, "Then we both have given our students an edge. I gave Isabeau the most direct route to the peak coinciding with the caves as well."

"We really are a sorry pair aren't we?"

"The Lin Kuei will be changed after this day...hopefully for the better."

"Most definitely for the better."

The sound of twinkling bells caught their attention and they both watched as a small group of butterflies fluttered into view and flitted around their heads.

Kuai smiled before a voice spoke from the crystalline wings.

"Master Kuai, the storm is only getting worse. Something doesn't seem right. You need to pull everyone back. I'm nearly there so I will hide in the caves until it passes."

He agreed with her. This storm came out of nowhere and has only increased in the last two hours, and was only getting worse. He stole a glance at his brother, his hands were clenched tightly and he was looking up at the mountain with anger and pain in his eyes.

Kuai placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, "They will be safe in the caves, Bi-Han. They are resourceful."

"I've never worried this much about someone, Kuai. It's...she's everything."

His own mind answered him quietly.

'I know.'

/  -  /  -  /  -  /

She was nearly blown off the rock face when the wind slammed into her causing her to scramble for purchase, slamming the ice dagger further into the stone.

'Damn!'

Glancing up, Isabeau noticed that she was near the third ledge and near the caves Kuai told her about. 'Almost there.'

The wind whistled around her, whipping up wildly and she clung to the rockface, waiting for her chance to move forward. The snow was falling faster, like a curtain surrounding her and the temperature had dropped dramatically. This was bad.

She was a cryomancer yes, but only those who had the most training could make themselves impervious to the chill...like Kuai and Master Bi-Han, so she was still susceptible to the deep, bitter cold. She had to get out of the wind and snow...she had to get somewhere dry.

And the caves were her only safe bet right now. The frost dragons that had been watching them closely had flown back to base...to safety. Isabeau only hoped that the others had made it safely off the mountain.

Finally she reached the next ledge and struggled to pull herself up and when she did she caught the faint outline figure in the corner of her eye.

Turning to look, the figure seemed to fade into the storm, disappearing into the whiteout of snow that had been whipped up by the fierce wind.

Isabeau shook her head.

She was starting to see things now, great.