Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ After the Dream ❯ Missing ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto.
Missing
Tsunade looked up when she saw Chomaru and Shikato walk into her office. She glanced at Iruka and asked, “Please take Konohamaru and the others into the next room I'll be in to speak with them in a moment.” Iruka nodded and he and Shizune ushered his students into the next room before sending a sad glance at the two Jounin and closing the door. “Well?” Tsunade asked trying to keep her voice level and the despair off of her face.
“When we reached the clearing we found Genma unconscious and two Sound Nin dead. Naruto and Sakura were nowhere to be found. We traced them to the river bed…” Shikato paused and took breath looking at Tsunade nervously. “It was obvious that a large and destructive fire jutsu had been performed. There was no sign of either Gennin, but…”
Tsunade slowly sat down in her chair fought for control of her breathing. If they had been caught in it…don't let them be gone, was all she could think. “I want every Jounin currently in the village and not on duty in my office within the next half-hour. Someone go down to the East Gate and send all guards that have knowledge of the incident here as well. No word of this battle is to reach the ears of any villager or any shinobi below Jounin rank, is that clear?” Tsunade finally looked up to see everyone in the room looking at her oddly. “Is that clear?” she said again in a harsher voice. Shikato and Chomaru nodded before setting out to follow her orders. When they were gone she turned to everyone gathered and said, “Wait here, I expect you all to be present at this meeting.”
With that done she turned and walked into the room next door. Everyone looked up at her when she stepped through the door. Before they could speak she raised a hand to silence them. “They have yet to find Naruto and Sakura,” was all she said before turning to the three academy students. “You three are to speak of this to no one. Until we find Naruto and Sakura any information concerning the attack could endanger them. We will do everything in our power to find them, but you cannot speak about it,” she expressed gravely. The three looked at her shocked. “Until we know for sure what happened to them any rumors must be stopped. Before you know it our allies will be accidentally blamed and the village will be calling for war.” Iruka and Shizune looked at her oddly but they seemed to understand what she really meant. Konohamaru, Moegi and Udon finally nodded and she smiled slightly. “Your parents will come for you soon. Until then stay here. Remember that you are not aware of any attack that took place today, you're parents will be told that you skipped class and got into trouble,” she paused and turned to Iruka and Shizune.
“I've called a meeting and would like the two of you to attend. I'm going to head over to the hospital to see Genma when I return we'll begin.” The two nodded and walked back into her office. Tsunade turned back to the Konohamaru Corps and said once more, “I promise we will do everything we can to find out what happened to them.”
Once she was finished she walked out the door and had to fight the urge to collapse against the wall. She struggled to control her breathing as she made her way to the hospital. She doubted Genma would be able to tell her anything even if he was conscious but she could always hope. She could always hope they had avoided the scene of destruction. She could always hope that Naruto had summoned Gamabunta; even though she was pretty sure she would have known if he had. She could even hope that Sakura pulled off some miraculous stunt and summoned Katsuyu. She could always hope that by the time all the Jounin were gathered Ibiki and the teams with him would be waiting in her office with Naruto and Sakura a bit singed, a bit shaken, but perfectly safe and at home.
“Hokage-sama!” a nurse said rather excitedly as she entered the hospital. “What can I do for you?” she added hastily.
“Could you tell me the condition of Shiranui Genma? He would have been brought in within the past hour,” she requested calmly. She was dying inside.
The nurse looked at her in confusion for a moment before heading over to the administration desk. “Let me check to see if his status has been updated,” she rifled through the papers on the desk for a moment before grabbing one and walking back over to Tsunade. “It appears that he is stable but still unconscious. His chart states that he suffered from severe blood loss but that no surface wounds were found,” the nurse looked at the chart for a moment in confusion before she spotted what she was looking for, “It says the Nin that brought him in told the doctors that he had already been treated by a Medic-Nin.” She looked up when she was finished and Tsunade nodded once before turning around and leaving.
Outside the hospital she glanced around once before leaning back against the wall. A single tear slid down her cheek. Without Genma to tell them what he knew their search would be delayed. All Konohamaru and the others could say was that they had been attacked by Sound. It wasn't enough.
She stepped back into her office to find a number of Jounin gathered and glancing at each other in confusion. Those that knew something of the situation were looking around nervously. Iruka and Shizune were seated near her desk speaking in low terms with Ibiki and Ebisu. When she spotted the Jounin she walked up behind, “What can you tell me?” she asked quietly.
Ibiki turned around and looked at her gravely. “We found two Sound Nin in the clearing along with Genma. Both were dead and we transported their bodies to the morgue for inspection. All I know is that both possessed the curse seal,” he paused for a moment to allow Tsunade to take in what he was saying. Many in the room were looking at them curiously but were unable to hear the conversation.
“Any sign of Naruto or Sakura?” Tsunade asked trying to keep her voice level. She was ready to strangle the Jounin in front of her if he didn't hurry up and tell her what she wanted to hear.
Ibiki glance back at Iruka and the others before turning around answering. “The two ANBU teams are still searching. Inuzuka and her dogs are with them. I brought Aburame and the guards from the gate back with me. When we left we had found no sign of either Gennin,” he finished cautiously.
Tsunade swayed for a moment and the three men in front of her moved to catch her. She quickly recovered before walking up and leaning on her desk. She didn't think her legs would be enough to support her at the moment. She took a deep breath to steady herself and then looked out at all those gathered. When she looked up everyone silenced and immediately gave her their attention. She was impressed to note that the elders and clan leaders had done so as well.
“Earlier this afternoon several shinobi of Konoha were attacked by Sound Nin. There were at least two attackers, most likely more. Shiranui Genma is currently in stable condition but is unconscious due to blood loss. When he wakes we will hopefully be able to learn more about the situation.” The room went silent. There hadn't been trouble with Sound since the defection of Uchiha Sasuke over six months before.
“The three Academy students who were with him at the time are all safely within the village and are physically fine.” The Jounin who still didn't understand the situation were glancing around in confusion. Tsunade took a deep breath before continuing, “Haruno Sakura and …,” another deep breath as she almost choked on the tears that were fighting to come out, “Uzumaki Naruto are currently unaccounted for.” She looked around the room to see shock and fear written on many faces. No one cared that two children were missing. They were frightened that Kyuubi might be loose.
“It is most likely that they were either killed or captured during the fight,” she hadn't wanted to say that; it was likely giving up hope. Even admitting the possibility that he was dead was like making it come true. She took another deep breath before turning to them once again. “As I said, once Genma regains consciousness we will hopefully have more information to go on. Until then we will proceed with decisions made based on the information at hand,” she said regaining her voice. She could talk about rescuing them; that showed she still had hope.
“At this time there are two ANBU teams, aided by a group of Inuzuka, searching the area surrounding the conflict site. It is most likely that their search will turn up little in regards to the missing Gennin so we will be forming several other search teams to scout the woods. I'll also be sending several small groups to look for them farther away from Konoha.”
Many looked up at her in confusion as she turned around to rummage through the documents on her desk before grabbing a rather large sheet of parchment and setting on the still standing half of the table before her. If it hadn't been such a grave situation she would have smiled at the memory of breaking it. “Maito Gai,” she called out before looking up as the man in green spandex walked over to her. She pointed to one of the road's leading out of Konoha's West Gate and traced a route along it. “Early this morning I sent Anko and Kakashi on a mission; both of them will be needed here now. I need you to follow this route and catch up to them, they weren't in a hurry so you should be able to catch them before they reach their destination,” she said before looking back up at him. He studied the map in front of him for a moment before looking up at her and nodding. She nodded back at him and continued, “When you reach them tell them their mission is non-essential and that it has been postponed for the time being. Tell them nothing of the situation only that I want them back in Konoha.” Gai nodded in understanding before stepping back to allow others to receive their orders.
“Asuma and Ebisu,” she said looking back down at the map, “Jiraiya is currently in the Hotel-town here,” she said pointing to a point not too far away, “Go get him. Drag him back kicking and screaming if you have to, but under no circumstance are you to speak about the situation until you have returned to Konoha.” They nodded and backed up as well.
Tsunade spent the next half hour assigning Jounin to search various sectors of the forest surrounding Konoha. Once she was finished assigning all of the duties she looked at the group once more. “I will repeat once more. Under no circumstances is this information to leak. I don't want anyone told of this incident without my permission. The villagers and all shinobi not currently present will not be told unless I choose to do so. Until we have concrete evidence of what happened today I don't want to start a panic,” she said as seriously as possible. “Gai, Asuma, and Kurenai you are to make sure that your students know nothing about this,” she added turning to the three senseis, “I can't have any of them going off trying to find their friends.” The three nodded in assent.
When she finished speaking the various Jounin went on their way leaving Tsunade in peace. The moment they closed the door she sank into the chair behind her desk and spun around to face the window. She remained that way till her assistants came barging in the next morning. Shocked to find their Hokage not only in the office before them but also wide awake. She remained there as she watched the village awake below her. She remained there knowing that few shared her pain at that moment.
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
The next day passed and nothing new was learned. Genma remained comatose and state that his doctors could only attribute to blood loss. None of the rescue or search teams had been able to turn up a single clue.
The only thing that could be called remotely helpful was found through the study of the two dead Sound Nins found. Tsunade had examined them herself in order to stop others from making wild guesses and causing trouble. It appeared that each had died of a single blow and the wounds left matched a pattern Tsunade had only seen once before. She would have to speak with Jiraiya when he returned but she was fairly certain that Naruto had made both kills. Of course that only led to more questions.
As disturbing as it was to think of Naruto killing his opponents the identity of the opponents was more disturbing by far. Both were wearing Sound forehead protectors as well as hauntingly familiar uniforms. They had managed to recover the bodies of three of the Sound Nin the rookies had fought in the mission to retrieve Sasuke. They knew from accounts given by the rookies who fought them as well as Genma and Raido that the Sound Nin had been Orochimaru's body guards. The uniforms were exactly the same which meant that Orochimaru had sent people he had personally trained to protect him. There wasn't a doubt in her mind who they had been sent after either.
Tsunade sat in her office well past nightfall waiting for Jiraiya to show up. She had received word that Asuma and Ebisu had found Jiraiya and that they would be returning that night. She had received no such confirmation about Kakashi and Anko but she expected them as well; Gai had to have found them by then.
She was interrupted when a large, white-haired, loud mouth barged into her office asking, “What's the brat done now?” Tsunade stiffened slightly. She had almost forgotten that she had ordered them not to tell him yet. Kami, she wished she wasn't the one to deliver this news. Why did he have to lose a second student at such a young age?
Jiraiya didn't miss the stiffening in Tsunade's posture. Nor did he miss the cringe that appeared on Asuma's face. He immediately straightened and wiped the scowl off of his face. “Seriously why did you call me back early?” he asked walking over to Tsunade.
She relaxed slightly and turned to face him hoping that she hadn't started crying already. She knew she would if he reacted the way she thought he would. If he reacted the way he did every time someone brought up the Yondaime or Orochimaru. “Jiraiya…” she began before trailing off and glancing into the hallway.
“Sorry to barge in the guards told us to report here immediately,” Kakashi said before turning to go with Anko and Gai.
“Kakashi, Anko you two need to stay for this. Ebisu, Gai and Asuma you've heard it all and I'll be calling another meeting soon,” Tsunade said looking at them. The tone she used worried Anko a great deal. This wasn't the boisterous, commanding voice she normally used. Come to think of it this was probably the voice Sakura heard when she learned her parents died. “Kami,” Anko accidentally whispered out loud. Kakashi and the others sent her confused looks when they saw the terrified way she was looking at Tsunade. The Godaime could only look at her in sympathy.
“Two days ago there was an attack,” Tsunade began. She couldn't draw this out and blunt was the only delivery she could manage for the time being. The others took this as their cue to leave Jiraiya, Kakashi, and Anko with Tsunade.
As he walked out the door Asuma wondered vaguely who he pitied more the three who would be receiving the news or the one that would be giving it. After all he wouldn't want to face those three when they received bad news, but he also wouldn't want to have to be the one to deliver it while trying to remain emotionless.
“Tsunade I wasn't that far away; I would have heard about an attack on Konoha that happened two days ago,” Jiraiya stated in confusion. Kakashi and Anko looked up at her in agreement.
“If you weren't that far away then you should have been able to return sooner so shut up and let me finish,” Tsunade growled out trying to stop herself from crying. For two days she had managed to retain hope, and she still had some, but right now she didn't want to be the one to tell them that there was even a chance they were gone.
Jiraiya and the others looked at her in shock. Anko quickly motioned for her to continue. “The attack wasn't on the village as a whole,” she began before looking down. She couldn't look at their faces. She knew the confusion would appear. Enlightenment would follow that. She knew the dread would appear last of all. Tears wouldn't come; they were trained shinobi after all they would save the tears for privacy.
“Two days ago at dusk Konohamaru and his friends alerted the guards at the East Gate to a surprise attack.” If Tsunade had been looking she would have seen Anko's head shoot up to look straight at her.
“I immediately dispatched two ANBU teams and several Jounin including Nara Shikato, Akimichi Chomaru, and Morino Ibiki to go as aid. By the time they arrived the fight had already ended. We don't know how long before just that it had.” Jiraiya was watching her warily.
“I had been in a meeting all day with the elders and clan leaders. I had sent Sakura out to train with Naruto and Genma that morning.” Kakashi looked at her in her horror. He reached up and slowly pushed his forehead protector out of the way accidentally exposing his left eye. He prayed she wouldn't say what he thought she was about to. Let it be any other team but his, any team but his.
“Genma was found injured and unconscious in one of the training areas. We've been searching for two days and have found no sign of Naruto or Sakura. There is evidence of a large and destructive fire jutsu being used not far from the training area. If the fight progressed to this location…” she trailed off not able to say what that implied. She still had hope, but she couldn't give it to them. She couldn't raise their hopes only to have them dashed if or when evidence was found.
“Oh kami, Iruka…” Anko whispered before turning and running out of the office. If the situation had been any different Kakashi would have snickered; he knew something had been going on with them. But the situation wasn't different and he didn't even register the words Anko had said. “Kakashi,” Tsunade started she closed her eyes before glancing back up to look at him. Kakashi had closed his eyes and was trying to control his breathing. “As soon as Genma wakes up I'll being calling another meeting to discuss the situation. Right now we have very little information and hope he will be able to clear up at least some of the confusion,” she finished quietly before Kakashi turned and walked out of the room. She still couldn't look at Jiraiya.
She looked up when she heard a muffled, “Damn!” Jiraiya had collapsed into one of the guest chairs and was staring out the window blankly. She wanted so badly to join him, but now wasn't the time. “Jiraiya, I need you to come see something. Two of the attackers were killed I need you to verify something for me,” she said as she began to walk out of the room. She heard Jiraiya stand up and shuffle along behind her.
She quickly made her way to the morgue. “We'll destroy the bodies as soon as you look at them. We can't learn anything else from them,” she said as she opened the door and ushered him in.
Jiraiya took one look at the bodies and the forehead protector's lying near them before growling out, “Orochimaru.” Tsunade could only nod, “Yes but that isn't what I want you to look at.” She walked over and pointed to the wound. “I may be wrong, but that was caused by the Rasengan wasn't it,” she said. Jiraiya took one look and nodded before turning and walking out of the room. Tsunade sighed and followed slowly none of this made sense. How had Naruto been able to kill two of his opponents? How many more had there been?
She was almost to her residence when Shizune cam running up to her. “Tsunade-sama, Tsunade-sama,” Shizune said breathlessly as she reached her. Tsunade turned around slowly trying not to keep the expectance off her face. “Genma-san woke up,” Shizune added. Tsunade took a deep breath before turning to Shizune and nodding. “Please call a meeting of all Jounin currently not on duty. Have him brought to my office as soon as possible. Make sure Iruka and Jiraiya are there as well as Anko and Kakashi, they just returned. I'll be there soon,” she said wearily before heading home. She hadn't been home in three days and desperately needed a shower.
An hour later Tsunade walked wearily into her office. She had showered and eaten but she was feeling more exhausted then ever. She couldn't decide whether or not she wanted to hear what Genma had to stay. He couldn't know whether or not they were dead because if so she would have been told already. He could possibly no absolutely nothing. They didn't know how long he had been unconscious before they found him.
The gathered Jounin looked up expectantly when she walked in. Genma was sitting near her desk and appeared to be sleeping, judging by the looks he hadn't spoken to anyone yet. Kakashi was standing against the wall behind her desk glaring at the floor; a number of people were sending him sympathetic glances but he seemed to be ignoring them. Jiraiya was sitting at her desk and she was tempted to roll her eyes at him; instead she sat down against the front of it and faced Genma. When he felt her eyes on him he finally opened his own and looked up at her.
“One day?” he asked looking up at her.
“Yes, and we haven't had anything to go on, so what can you tell us?” Tsunade asked bluntly. She was tired, emotional and currently didn't have the patience to draw it out. She wanted something solid to go on. She needed more hope or she just might begin believing that Naruto and Sakura were actually dead.
Genma blinked once before settling himself in most in the room realized that this would take sometime. “Naruto and Sakura were sparring when we felt someone moving towards us.”
“We?” Tsunade asked.
“Yeah, Naruto felt it right after I did, Sakura figured out not long after that. I didn't have time to get them out of the clearing before we bombarded with kunai. They kept up the barrage but it was mostly aimed at me. Naruto and Sakura stuck with the Konohamaru Corps.”
“Why were they only aiming at you?”
“They most likely wanted to get me out of the way. Sakura and Naruto were their targets,” Tsunade sighed upon hearing that. She had wanted to believe it was a mistake. “Naruto finally used his shadow clones to imitate Sakura and the others and gave them the chance-“he was cut off by one of the Jounin in the back.
“What do you mean imitate?”
“He combined Kage Bunshin and Henge-“
“Who taught him how to do that?” another Jounin asked.
“No one taught him how to do it. He figured it out on his own,” Kakashi replied not lifting his gaze from the floor.
“Anyways,” Genma continued before a fight could break out he knew Kakashi was going to hurt the first person who insulted Naruto if they didn't keep him distracted. “They got out of the clearing but one of the Sound Nin managed to find the real Naruto, I don't know if he got lucky or if he could sense chakra better than the rest of us. He dispersed the other clones and sent his partner after Sakura and the others. By then I was already injured. He and Naruto fought and then the man's partner came back followed by Sakura. They fought; Sakura hampered the girl; Naruto killed her.”
“He killed her?” someone in the group shouted.
“Not Sakura, the Sound Nin, even debilitated she was threat and Naruto got rid of her,” Genma stated before continuing, “After that another Nin showed up,” Genma took a deep breath before glancing at Tsunade and Kakashi before placing his head in his hands and continuing. “She told them that Uchiha Sasuke was dead and then proceeded to tell Sakura about the Kyuubi. I passed out about then so I don't know what else happened.”
The room was speechless after his announcement. After a few moments Tsunade looked at him and asked shakily, “What do you mean Uchiha Sasuke is dead?”
Genma sighed. He really didn't want to get into the stuff that happened in front of so many people that didn't know Naruto and Sakura personally, especially because of Naruto. “She said that Sasuke had been ordered to kill Naruto. Once they were far enough away from sound he attacked them. He refused to kill Naruto and attacked them to make sure they wouldn't be able to attack Naruto and Sakura full force.”
Tsunade could only stare at him. Kakashi pinched the bridge of his nose through his mask, “How did she take it?” The entire room looked at him in confusion. Understanding suddenly dawned on Tsunade and she turned to find Jiraiya also waiting for an answer to Kakashi's question.
“I don't honestly know. She looked horrified but I couldn't tell what she was horrified with,” Genma replied honestly. Kakashi turned away and Jiraiya and Tsunade could only stare at Genma.
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
After some time Tsunade looked up. “For now we'll continue as is. I want the search broadened and I'll be sending word to several allies outside the village. I want all eyes and ears open for any news… good or bad,” she said looking out over the assembled shinobi. “Anko and Kakashi I want you to resume your mission make sure you pass on the latest news,” she stated. She sighed as she gazed at the expectant faces in front of her, “Secrecy is still necessary. I'll call another meeting if we get new information.”
As the room cleared out Kakashi took a deep breath and scanned the faces in front of him. When he spotted Anko standing next to Iruka with most of the other Senseis he sighed and walked over. “We'll resume the mission at dawn,” he said before turning and walking out of the room. Many Jounin sent sympathetic glances at the Copy-Nin's back as he headed out the door.
Anko and the others watched not knowing how to react as he left. They were about to follow when Tsunade called out, “Anko, Raido come here for a moment.” Anko sighed and walked up to Tsunade where she was standing at her desk. When Anko arrived Tsunade was leaning over her desk writing on a scroll. Anko waited patiently for Tsunade to finish; she spent most of her time watching Jiraiya sit impassively behind the Hokage's desk. She didn't know how the Sennin managed to look so unconcerned when she, the most emotionally messed up person in the world - with the possible exception of the Uchihas and one Hatake Kakashi - , wanted to cry. She hadn't known Kakashi's Gennin very well, she had only really met Naruto three months previous and yet she couldn't stand the thought that Naruto and Sakura could have been lost.
“I want you to take this scroll and take a team to Hidden Sand,” Tsunade said handing the scroll over to Raido and breaking the psychotic Jounin out of her reverie. “This will explain the situation and my request. Bring back an answer as soon as possible.” Raido turned and walked over to Iwashi and several other Jounin before they walked out discussing their new mission. “Anko,” she said turning and grabbing a second scroll off her desk, “This is to be delivered along with the first.” Anko nodded and walked out of the room. When she got to the hall she found the others waiting for her.
“Where'd Genma go?” she asked when she noticed one missing from their normal number.
“Back to the hospital on Tsunade's orders. He still hasn't fully recovered,” Ebisu responded.
“Well,” Anko stated looking at the time, “much as I'd like to go get drunk right now I've been traveling for the past two days and I'm dead tired. I need to get to sleep before leaving again tomorrow.” With that said the others nodded and parted to allow her to leave. Once she was outside she glanced up at the Hokage Mountain before turning and heading back to her apartment to get some sleep.
The next morning Anko and Kakashi set off at dawn. They traveled slowly yet steadily, Kakashi had explained that it would be best if they arrived some time the next afternoon. Anko still didn't fully understand the mission. Apparently some chick in Yasumido had some information for them. She hadn't even been told the person's name let alone what was really going on. Kakashi had said that he was the woman's contact and hadn't known why she was coming along; luckily that made two who didn't know so all was fine and dandy.
Around five o'clock the next day found Anko and Kakashi two miles from their destination. Kakashi stopped and pulled Anko off the trail before turning and looking at her seriously. “Before we go in there are some things you need to understand,” he said causing Anko to look at him in confusion. “Our informant cannot be known to be contact with Shinobi so we need to go in incognito,” he added before quickly performing a henge. Standing in front of Anko was a young man wearing average street clothes. Kakashi's eyes were now grey and his hair had turned dirty blond. She wondered vaguely if the face she was seeing without a mask obstructing it was really his or part of the disguise. “Make yourself look like me and take away any distinguishing features. Anko shrugged and did as she was told.
Half an hour later the two were walking down the main street in the small village of Yasumido. “She's the local healer so we'll be heading to her office,” Kakashi whispered to Anko as she walked beside him. Anko was glad that one of them knew what was going on because she was confused. Everyone here seemed to know who Kakashi was; she had even seen a number of people wave to him and they had been stopped twice by middle-aged women asking him how he was.
As they neared the medical center a young woman came bounding up to Kakashi and Anko. “Shi-san, it's wonderful to see you again. Last time you visited no one but Rine-san was able to see you,” she chirped to Kakashi. Kakashi smiled apologetically before turning to a now grey eyed, blond haired Anko and introducing her. “Mitsutori, this is Monjin Ko, our cousin,” he said pointing to Anko. The brunette in front of him smiled and bobbed her head to Anko in greeting. It was taking all of the psychotic Special Jounin's acting ability to keep up the calm, smiling façade.
“Rine is almost finished for the day, if you'd like you can both wait for her in the waiting room,” Mitsutori said ushering them through the door. She eyed Anko once before walking into one of the back rooms. The moment she was gone Anko rounded on Kakashi and hissed out, “Explain.”
Kakashi easily ignored her and kept up his smiling face as a little boy and his mother walked out of the room Mitsutori had entered. “Good-afternoon Shi-san,” the woman said as she passed the two, Kakashi once again nodded in greeting without missing a beat. The minute the two disappeared Anko began glaring at him again. “Kakashi, I wasn't told anything about this. There was no mention disguises or pseudonyms or anything. These people all seem to know you and…” she said trailing off trying to figure out why she hadn't been told the details of the mission. She wondered for a moment if the Hokage herself hadn't understood what Kakashi was doing here.
“The people know Monjin Shi and his sister Monjin Rine the local healer. Shi lives in a village about three days from here and comes to visit his sister occasionally. They're used to seeing me like this and only three people in the village besides Rine know who I really am. Everything will be explained once we speak with her,” Kakashi whispered to her as the two stood in the now empty room.
After several more minutes of silence Mitsutori and a young woman who could have passed for their sister entered from the back room. They were arguing as Mitsutori herded the other woman out towards Anko and Kakashi. Kakashi appeared amused when the other young woman whipped around with a very false smile on her face and hissed, “We weren't expecting you today, Shi-chan,” she said emphasizing the chan ending. Kakashi huffed and turned away as Anko watched in utter confusion. “Why don't you and …Ko head back to my house and I'll meet you there as soon as I finish closing the office,” she added as she began ushering them out of the office.
She was just about to close the door on them when someone down the road shouted, “Kaa-san.”
“Shit,” Rine mumbled as she turned to look at the eight year old running towards her. She greeted him nervously before turning around to look at Mitsutori, “Could you please close up and then take Rishito home with you today. I'll come get him as soon as we're finished,” she said as she turned back to Kakashi and Anko. Anko was looking at the group in confusion while Kakashi looked almost horrified at the child. Mitsutori nodded and quickly ushered the confused child inside as Rine took off down the road; Anko and Kakashi ran after her.
The minute Anko and Kakashi entered the house they had been led to the door was slammed shut behind them and they turned around to face a very irate… “Rin,” Anko gasped out. “Kakashi changes to Shi, Anko to Ko, so of course Rin to Rine,” she muttered to trying sort everything out. “Hey wait a minute… that kid,” Anko said looking at Rin in awe.
“What is she doing here?” Rin asked completely ignoring Anko. Kakashi looked at her and shrugged which only served to further aggravate his former teammate. “Why are you here then?” she asked trying to calm herself down and pretend Anko wasn't standing two feet away. “We were supposed to arrive three days ago but Maito Gai caught up with us and called us back to Konoha,” as Kakashi was speaking Anko pulled out two scrolls and looked at them for a moment. She decided on the newest one that Tsunade had given her and handed it to Rin.
Rin absentmindedly accepted the scroll as she listened to Kakashi. “The day we left there was an attack. The Sound Four attacked; Naruto and Sakura are missing, possibly dead,” Kakashi said as unemotionally as possible, “That scroll most likely has instructions on what Tsunade wants you to look out for.” Rin nodded absentmindedly before turning schooling her features and saying, “Why were you sent initially?”
Kakashi shrugged and turned to Anko. Anko nervously handed Rin the second scroll. “I'm not sure what it says but I'm supposed to wait for an answer,” she said as Rin unrolled the scroll and began reading. The two watched as Rin's eyes traveled down the parchment both noted that her posture became more rigid as she read on. She finally looked up angrily at Anko before saying tritely, “Tell her I don't have the answers she's looking for.” Anko gulped slightly at the sudden reminder of Rin's cold side before taking the scroll back.
“Anko wait outside,” Kakashi said looking at Rin curiously. Anko huffed once before cowering slightly under the combined glares of Kakashi and Rin and walking outside muttering under her breath about psychotic, spoiled teammates. “What did it say?” Kakashi asked when Anko disappeared from view.
Rin sighed and looked at him. “She's asking questions about the Kyuubi's attack and sealing,” she finally answered. Kakashi cursed under his breath. “Has she questioned you yet?” Rin asked causing Kakashi to shake his head no.
“How long are you going to avoid the questions?” Kakashi finally asked. Rin looked at him for a moment before turning away. “If Naruto is found I'll consider answering them, if he isn't…” she stated hesitantly,
“Then it isn't something they need to know,” Kakashi finished for her. Rin nodded before pointing to Anko outside. “You two should go,” she said. Kakashi watched her for a moment before nodding and turning to go.
Anko followed blindly as Kakashi began walking away. She finally snapped out of it once they were already at the edge of town. “Wait a minute we're leaving already?” she shouted. Kakashi turned to look at her coldly. “Well Tsunade obviously wants that answer,” he said before turning and continuing on his way. Anko kept her mouth shut the rest of the way.
When they returned to Konoha they delivered the news to Tsunade. Before she could question him further Kakashi walked out of the room leaving behind a very frustrated Tsunade and a very confused Anko.
Three days later the team came back from Sand. The village promised to devote three teams full time to the search. They had already begun scouting the borders. The ANBU in Sand had been told of the situation and would be on the look out for any other clues.
One week later hope was beginning to dwindle.
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
The village seemingly returned to normalcy after the incident. This wasn't difficult considering the small number of its inhabitants that actually knew something had gone wrong. But for those who did know a difficult task was placed before them. They had to maintain that normalcy.
Those that had the most difficult task were the ones who actually had to cover up the fact that two Gennin had gone missing. Iruka spent every class pretending that Konohamaru, Moegi, and Udon weren't looking at him desperately waiting to hear about their idols. Tsunade, Jiraiya, Shizune and the others had to look into the faces of their students' friends and pretend that training was going on as usual. Kakashi just avoided everyone in general and spent his time searching the area of the fight for answers. But as time went on those that knew the two Gennin couldn't help but notice that something was missing.
“Asuma-sensei,” Ino shouted as she ran to catch up with her sensei. Asuma stopped lazily and slowly turned to face his blond student. He had fended off her questions so far but he found it unlikely that she would give up as easily that day. Ino finally caught up to her sensei and had to stop to catch her breath.
“We don't have training today,” Asuma drawled trying to escape questioning. He turned to walk away only to have Ino grab his arm and spin him around with a surprising amount of force.
“I know we don't have training today, you told us that yesterday,” she said glaring at her instructor. “Now instead of jumping to conclusions why don't you listen to me,” she added while straightening up and trying to look more gathered. Asuma rolled his eyes and beckoned for her to continue. “I can't find Sakura anywhere,” she stated causing Asuma to curse mentally. None of the senseis had been directly questioned as of yet and he really didn't want to be the one who gave something away. Instead of losing his cool he quirked an eyebrow slightly before asking, “What am I supposed to do about it?”
Ino glared harder but before she could continue Shikamaru sauntered up to them. “What's up?” he asked lazily. Normally the presence of the lazy Chuunin would have relieved him, but Asuma suddenly got the feeling that he had been trapped by the pineapple haired genius. “I can't find Sakura anywhere,” Ino huffed looking at her former teammate for support. “How do you know she's just not out on her own?” Asuma asked trying to find a way out of the situation.
“I know she doesn't have training today because I just went up to Hokage Tower looking for her and Shizune said that Tsunade was in a meeting and that means that Sakura didn't have training `cause normally when Tsunade's in a meeting Shizune takes over Sakura's training but she obviously wasn't training her `cause she was talking to me,” Ino said in one breath. Shikamaru took a moment to decipher what had been said before asking, “Where else have you looked?”
Asuma took that as his cue to start talking, “Maybe she just decided to sleep in or go see Naruto,” he said hoping to send her off on a wild goose chase. Unfortunately the minute the words were out of his mouth Ino was shaking her head vehemently. “I waited until midnight for her to come home from training yesterday; I've been at her house since six this morning. Hinata and TenTen have been checking the stores and training areas all morning and none of us have seen her. She couldn't have been on a mission because Shizune would have told me,” Ino said trying not to whine like a child. Shit Asuma thought running out of ideas. He probably would have panicked more if he had noticed Shikamaru studying him closely.
“Well good luck,” Asuma finally said before turning and walking away ignoring Ino's protests behind him.
When he was out of sight Ino turned to Shikamaru nearly in tears. “Something's wrong,” she said. Shikamaru could only nod before turning and glancing down the street. “Go get Hinata and TenTen, meet us at Naruto's apartment,” he said as he turned to walk off. “Why Naruto's?” Ino asked looking at him in confusion. “Kiba and Chouji have been there since noon yesterday waiting for Naruto…he hasn't shown up. I'll get the others just get those two and meet there as soon as possible.” Ino could only nod before turning and sprinting off.
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
Kakashi sat atop Hokage Mountain watching the festival below. The thirteenth anniversary of the Kyuubi's death was a joyous affair for many in the town. They had a new Hokage, they had recovered greatly since the attack from Sound and Sand, and for just one night they had forgotten all of the problems that had occurred in the past year or so.
As he watched the crowds below he felt the ire raise as he realized that many of them would be happy to learn that Naruto had disappeared. Just that morning he had overheard two old-women thanking Kami that the demon hadn't ruined their festival morning like he had the year before when he had walked down the street. He had had to stop himself from slamming them through a wall. The Chuunin he had overheard the day before hadn't escaped his wrath. Everyone that witnessed the event learned never to refer to Naruto as the Kyuubi-brat.
His students had been gone for one month and he wasn't sure if it was worth keeping his hopes up. Sasuke was dead and he doubted that the other two had been able to escape the destruction that he had seen at the river bed. The likelihood that either Naruto or Sakura had been taken alive was slim. He knew Naruto hadn't been happy but he couldn't see the boy running away, it just didn't seem like something the blond would have done without a great deal of consideration. He also couldn't see Sakura running away and Naruto never would have left her in harm's way.
The noise from the crowd below rose as night fell. Children were sent home, adults got drunk, and teens snuck out trying to enjoy a late night without supervision. He had planned on spending the night with Naruto and possibly Sakura. He knew for a fact that the young Gennin had never really celebrated his birthday; unless of course one were to count the times that he and Rin had taken Naruto out for the night, but that was more for his own protection then anything else.
Around three in the morning he decided it was safe to head back to his apartment. It was unlikely that any of the others would still try and drag him out this late at night. As he descended the mountain he noticed the Hokage's office was still lit up and wondered vaguely if Tsunade was still working or if she and Jiraiya had gotten drunk to drown out their misery. He couldn't really blame them; he would've done the same thing if there had been someone he wanted to get drunk with. Then again the last time he had done that it ended in a disaster so it was probably better if he remained sober.
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
Two weeks after the festival Tsunade sat in her office wishing she could get drunk. She had just spent an hour listening to the search teams report in with the same news they had given her the day before, and the day before that, and the week before that, and… well ever since they had started reporting in.
She didn't want to give up hope but even she had to admit that the chances they had survived were slim. All they knew was that Akatsuki didn't have them, Orochimaru didn't seem to have them, and they weren't in Konoha. Admittedly that left the rest of the world for them to be in, but that wasn't likely. If they hadn't been taken, which they could assume because someone would have taken credit by now, then it was doubtful that they had survived at all.
She glanced out the window as she waited for the last two teams to arrive. She knew she would have to start holding back search teams for other missions. She knew that eventually she would have to give up the search all together. She could only hope that they would hear something more definitive before then.
Tsunade turned around when the door opened and another team entered. She knew that all they would tell her was that nothing new had been found. She comforted herself slightly with the fact that the Akatsuki was still searching for signs of Naruto. If the crazy S-Class Missing Nins weren't giving up then neither would she. Plus, she could use that as an excuse to keep looking. If Konoha gave up on the search and the Akatsuki actually found the two then it wouldn't bode well for the village or its reputation.
With that in mind she was able to ignore the doubtful, pitying looks when the Jounin walked out the door with orders to continue the search tomorrow. If she hadn't been ignoring the looks she may have taken a page out of Kakashi's book and injured them. The memory of the incident sent a smile to her face, any doubts that Kakashi hadn't cared for her favorite blond runt had been put to rest when his sensei beat her to the punch …literally.
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
Three weeks after the festival a rather odd group of Jounin and one Chuunin were sitting in Waruyoi's Sake House, well it appeared odd to some but the regulars were used to them. Anko was busy twirling a sake bottle in her fingers while Asuma and Kurenai discussed their teams. Apparently both senseis had been receiving a good number of questions from their students. More disturbingly Iruka had seen Shikamaru and Kiba corner Konohamaru the week before.
If the Gennin started really pushing for answers there would be nothing anyone could do to stop them from finding them on their own. Anko however was a bit too distracted to worry about the other Rookies; Kakashi had left that morning and she was positive he was going to see Rin. She wanted to know what information they had gotten and more importantly why she hadn't been allowed to go along. The first time she had seen the other girl in almost nine years and she hadn't been able to get in a word that wasn't directly related to the mission.
She also couldn't forget that kid. Rin had looked like she was going to faint when the boy approached her; Kakashi had looked just as bad. It had to have been because she was there that they were worried about. Damnit when did she have a kid! She thought before looking up horrified when she realized that she had said that last bit out loud. “When did who have a kid?” Iruka asked in confusion. Anko looked at him sheepishly for a moment before replying, “No one.” The others looked at her oddly for a moment before resuming their previous conversation.
A half hour later they were interrupted by another of Anko's outbursts, thought this one was a bit more directed. “Does any one know where Kakashi is?” she asked glaring at the now empty bottle of sake in her hand. “Ahh, my illustrious rival has another mission,” Gai answered giving Anko his patented smile. Anko shivered slightly before growling out, “I know that, I meant where did he go?”
Kurenai gave her an odd look before responding, “I think he was heading to Yasumido.”
“Damn him,” Anko spat out, “I wanted to go.” This only caused the others to stare at her. “Why?” Ibiki finally asked. Anko looked at the others as if just realizing they were there. “No reason.”
Kurenai shrugged after a moment before going on, “Speaking of Kakashi, does anyone else think he's been acting a bit odd lately?”
Asuma and Genma nodded but Anko looked at her in puzzlement. “What do you mean?” she finally questioned. “He punched some random Chuunin the other day,” Kurenai responded.
“Yeah but did you hear what the jackass called Naruto?” Anko said as if it would clear up everything. “I've never seen Kakashi get that worked up,” Ebisu cut in.
Anko looked at them as if they were insane, “Do none of you remember what he was like as a kid?” she said. Most of the group shook their heads. “I met him once or twice but he was already in ANBU by then,” Iruka responded with Gai backing him up. “Well yeah but that was still before he started acting like Obito,” Anko retorted.
“Obito…as in Uchiha Obito, Kakashi's ex-teammate,” Kurenai asked in disbelief. “Oh yeah, that boy was late for everything and he came up with the stupidest excuses. Used to mess up a lot too,” Anko said in explanation. Apparently no one believed her so Anko continued. “My sensei,” she said trying to keep a straight face, “used to taunt theirs' about it all the time. He said it wasn't worth it to have genius on the team if the other two were just going to hold him back. To tell you the truth Kakashi probably agreed with him.”
“No, that doesn't make sense,” Kurenai said. “Sure it does. After Obito died Rin was able to get through to him a little. Then when their sensei died he just sort of snapped. That was when he joined ANBU and cut himself off from like everyone, except for Rin of course,” Anko finished.
“That still doesn't explain him flying off the handle and knocking a Chuunin through the wall… a very thick one I might add,” Kurenai added. Anko looked at her as if she was missing something obvious so Kurenai continued, “I mean he's never shown any sort of support or anything for his team. Hell unless it was to one of his other students he wouldn't talk about them at all.”
Anko looked at her for a moment before shaking her head, “This is Naruto we're talking about. First of all no one has ever dared to say something like that about the kid in front of Kakashi before… at least not since he was little. Secondly Naruto and Sakura have been missing for awhile; he's been told that Sasuke is dead. Thirdly, the idiot said it the day before what would have been Naruto's thirteenth birthday, Kakashi was high strung because of the date and that Chuunin just set him off.”
“What do you mean since he was little?” Ebisu asked. Anko grinned maniacally for a moment causing the others to shift uncomfortably. “There's a reason I'm terrified of those two and it has very little to do with their skill as Shinobi,” Anko said cryptically.
“Kakashi I can understand, but Rin's not as strong as you Anko. She's a good medic but she was never much in a fight,” Genma said. “That was then. Rin preferred being thought of as a Medic so she normally didn't show off in fights. Trust me when I say she could hold her own. But anyways I said it had little to do with that,” Anko replied grinning once more. “Piss those two off when they're around each other and it is a very scary sight,” Anko added before getting up to leave. Iruka shook his head once before getting up and following.
“I'll never understand how he puts up with her,” Kurenai said before turning back to her drink. The rest of the night was spent getting pissed.
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
“This is the second time you've been here in the past two weeks,” Rin said bluntly when she opened the door for Kakashi. “I didn't have any news then I don't have any now.
Kakashi grinned weakly before sighing and following Rin to the kitchen. “It's been two months and we're getting a bit desperate,” he answered honestly, “If we don't get something concrete soon then we'll probably have to call off the search.”
Rin looked at him for a moment before sitting down across from him. “Oh,” she said in response.
After a few moments Rin looked over at him and smirked. “How's Anko?” she asked. Kakashi rolled his eyes at the woman across from him. “She complains to me every chance she gets trying to weasel her way into coming along with me the next time I come here,” he responded.
“I…” Kakashi said before he was cut off by a young boy running in. “You're back,” he said skidding to a stop in front of Kakashi. “Not for long,” Kakashi responded looking at the young boy sadly. He pouted for a moment before looking up at Kakashi again, “Before you leave you gotta see my new trick,” he said excitedly.
Kakashi looked at him curiously as he performed the hand seal for Bunshin no Jutsu. He laughed when a rather sickly clone appeared next to the eight year old causing him to scowl at it. “It still needs a bit of work Rishito,” Rin said from behind him.
“I had it working yesterday,” he mumbled shuffling away. “See ya later,” he shouted back to them as he headed outside. Kakashi shook his head before turning to go as well.
“Kakashi,” she said when he reached the door. “The Akatsuki is falling apart. If there is no longer any threat to Konoha from the Organization…”
“He'll need to know what action to take?” Kakashi responded. Rin nodded. “I'll speak with Tsunade,” he said as walked out.
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
He hated these meetings. He hated the organization. He hated the world in general most of the time. His family was dead. His village was no longer at risk, yet he had to remain there until he was found. What was expected? Did they think someone was going to come forward and confess? Did they think someone was going to deliver them evidence of the boy's life or death?
He had spent the past two months searching for a twelve year old. A twelve year old that they had been after for just over a year. A twelve year old that their traitor had most likely had killed. There were two hidden villages and an organization of S-Class criminals searching for this boy. By now hope had to be dwindling. Either he was dead or extremely good at hiding - and if he recalled correctly from games of hide-n-seek the second wasn't true.
He entered the room and glanced around at his `comrades'. It appeared that no one knew why they had been gathered. A moment later their leader walked in wearing a very grim face. This did not bode well was all that ran through his mind before two lower guards walked in carrying a young woman wearing a Sound forehead protector. This was definitely not good.
Agent's Spiel: To make sure no one is confused I'd just like to add that when I refer to the Rookies I mean Kakashi, Kurenai, Asuma, and Gai's teams. With Sasuke gone and Naruto and Sakura not in Konoha it means those still there. So Kurenai, Asuma, and Gai's teams. I know Gai's team wasn't rookies it's just easier to refer to them all like this.