Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ After the Dream ❯ Truth ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Agent's Spiel: Bparts in bold font are bits of the fight in Ch. 9 and 10
B” quotes in bold font are things said during either Sasuke or Naruto and Sakura's fights with the Sound 4. There is a lot of talk about the fights in chapter 9 and 10 so it will be a bit repetitive.
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto.
Truth
Shikamaru and Neji walked into Naruto's apartment with very disgruntled looks on their faces. The other Rookies perked up slightly when they entered hoping to finally get some answers. “Anything?” Shikamaru asked Kiba as he sat down near the door.
“No he hasn't been home since yesterday,” Kiba responded soberly.
“But if what we heard about him earlier was true then it isn't odd for him to not return home every night,” Chouji added trying to alleviate some of the tension.
Shikamaru shook his head before countering the statement, “Naruto was being watched by a couple of Jounin to make sure he didn't do that. Plus it doesn't explain Sakura's absence.”
“Can we rule out a mission?” TenTen asked.
“Shizune would have said something if Sakura was gone on one, but that doesn't tell us anything about Naruto,” Ino added miserably.
“Kakashi-san has been in town for the past week, I saw him on the way here,” Shino said.
“Tsunade was meeting with Jiraiya, but Shizune didn't say Naruto was in there,” Ino replied.
“That rules out a mission for Naruto,” Neji said, “We saw Anko-san and the others when we were walking over. He wouldn't have been sent out without one of them.”
“Could either be visiting distant family?” Lee asked.
“Sakura didn't have any other family; her parents were the last,” Ino informed him.
“What about Naruto?” TenTen added.
“Naruto's an orphan,” Kiba answered.
“I know his parents must be dead,” TenTen said, “but that doesn't rule out extended family. Maybe one of them put him up here when he entered the academy or something.”
Shikamaru considered her statement for a moment before shrugging. “Possible, but doubtful. Then again the only reason I know he's an orphan is because Iruka-sensei mentioned it once.”
“Are you telling me he never spoke about it?” Neji asked incredulously.
“Naruto didn't really talk to us much about anything serious. I mean we used to all skip class together and stuff, but after that we'd all split up,” Chouji put in.
“Well I know almost nothing about Naruto. Even after we all started hanging out we never really talked so all I know I was told by either you guys or Sakura,” TenTen said in resignation.
“I didn't know him very well either,” Hinata admitted.
“Maybe it would be better if for now we focus on Sakura; we know a bit more in that case at least,” Ino said nervously.
“No,” Shikamaru said turning to Ino, “we may know more about that situation, but wherever they are they're together.” Ino cowered slightly under his gaze before turning to the others.
“For now maybe we should just keep looking,” Hinata said trying to defuse the situation. The others looked in shock at the normally timid girl before nodding and turning to Shikamaru.
“Why are you all looking at me?” he asked annoyed. The other Rookies shook their heads in amusement before dispersing for the day. As she walked out the door Ino heard Shikamaru giving orders to the guys and couldn't help but smile; it was rare for Shikamaru to show this much concern for someone. Then again considering the situation… Ino shuddered as she closed the door behind her.
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
“Asuma-sensei,” Chouji said as he and his team settled down for barbeque, “what's the difference in the levels of Jutsu?”
Asuma looked at him for a moment before turning to ponder the question. “That depends on what you want know,” he finally said turning back to Chouji. Ino could only roll her eyes at her sensei's behavior. Did the Jounin not realize that they all looked even more suspicious when they gave vague answers and avoided questions?
“I mean, how do they rate them?” Chouji persisted. Ino noticed that Shikamaru was trying to look disinterested and that TenTen hadn't needed to fake her interest in the discussion; she decided to listen in as well.
Asuma attempted not to roll his eyes in annoyance. Why did his Gennin have to start showing interest after he had been given orders not to tell them anything? Okay so he could probably give them some information, but the man was smart enough to know that the Rookies suspected something and with Shikamaru sitting three feet away anything he said could and would be used against him later. “The rating of a Jutsu is decided by the power it takes to execute, the time it takes to learn it, and the outcome,” he finally said hoping they would leave it at that.
“Can you give an example?” apparently he was wrong since TenTen questioned further. Examples…examples that wouldn't get him in trouble…he was screwed. “Well the best example is Bunshin no Jutsu vs. Kage Bunshin no Jutsu,” he started; hopefully they wouldn't draw too many conclusions. “Regular Bunshin is learned during academy and is one of the easiest skills for a shinobi to learn. When executed properly it doesn't take too much of the user's chakra unless one over does it, but that's rare. It is also much weaker; it takes the right circumstances and good plan to be properly used in battle so it isn't as powerful,” Asuma said, he wished his students were this attentive in normal lectures. Even Shikamaru was having trouble looking bored, of course that was probably a bad thing Asuma reminded himself.
“How does it compare to Kage Bunshin, then?” Ino questioned shocking everyone, including herself. She couldn't help it, she couldn't remember learning this stuff at the academy and it was sorta interesting.
Asuma sighed and continued the mini-lecture, “Kage Bunshin is a Jounin level skill. It takes more chakra to produce a single clone and it takes much longer to learn. The move is also more powerful; the ninja equally distributes his chakra among the clones so you can't distinguish between them and the actual ninja. Not to mention the clones can deal actual physical damage so they are much more useful in a fight. Not many people actually know the technique since it's a Forbidden Jutsu,” he added off handedly.
Luckily for Asuma he wasn't paying attention to the Rookies' reactions or he would have known he had just sparked something. The Jounin remained blissfully ignorant.
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
“Shizune-san,” Ino yelled as she ran after Tsunade's assistant. Shizune turned and looked at the young Genin. She knew it had to be difficult for them, by now they had to at least suspect something.
Ino faked a grin when she caught up to the older Nin. “Hi,” she chirped causing Shizune to smile at her a bit nervously. “How's Sakura's training going? I don't see her anymore so she must be training a lot,” Ino said causing Shizune to swallow a bit too loudly.
“Her training has progressed wonderfully,” Shizune finally replied. It wasn't as if it were a lie, during Sakura's training the young girl had showed a great deal of promise as medic Nin and her dedication had allowed her to improve quickly.
“Will she be entering the next Chuunin Exam?” Ino questioned.
Shizune looked at the girl before answering as honestly as she could. “It's doubtful,” she said.
“Well that's odd,” Sakura thought aloud, “You'd think the Sennin would want to show off their students' progress, but Jiraiya said the same thing about Naruto.”
Shizune panicked slightly before gasping out, “They just want to give them a bit more time,” before turning and walking away.
Ino bit her lip slightly hoping Shizune wouldn't actually talk to Jiraiya about this. She might get in trouble if they learned she hadn't actually spoken with him Oh well, she'd just blame it on Shikamaru she thought as she went to find out if Kiba and Shikamaru had had any more success. They were going in pretending they wanted to find ways to beat Naruto just like he had beaten them. Hopefully the excuse would still stand over three weeks since the demonstrations.
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
“Konohamaru, right?” Shikamaru asked as he and Kiba approached the academy student.
Konohamaru glanced at them nervously wondering why the Chuunin and Genin in front of him were trying to talk to him.
“Have you seen Naruto around?” Kiba asked brashly causing Konohamaru to flinch. The student glanced around the school yard hoping for someone to come and help him; unfortunately for him the rest of his classmates were enjoying their break and he couldn't see any of his teachers.
“Konohamaru,” Kiba repeated waving his hand in front of the young boy's face hoping for some type of response. Konohamaru shook his head before trying to edge away. Akamaru trotted up to the boy and yipped excitedly causing Konohamaru to shout out and fall over.
Kiba looked at the kid in confusion before calling Akamaru back to him. Shikamaru shrugged and reached out a hand to help Konohamaru up. After standing up he glanced at them once before walking quickly away.
Shikamaru and Kiba glanced at each other and then at Akamaru. “Bark bark woof,” Akamaru said sadly to Kiba. The Genin could only shake his head and say, “I don't know Akamaru, maybe he just didn't like dogs.”
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
“Shouldn't we at least consider the possibility that something bad happened?” Chouji asked breaking the silence. Several shot him horrified glances but Shikamaru just nodded.
“Why would someone attack two Genin?” Ino said trying to cast doubt on the theory.
“Orochimaru saw Sasuke as worthy of attention.” Shino pointed out once again shocking everyone by speaking. They couldn't tell but he was rolling his eyes behind his glasses.
“Because of the Sharingan,” Kiba added, “Why would anyone want either of them?”
“Well what do we know about each?” TenTen said hoping she would get more than last time when they discussed Naruto's family status; that had been rather shameful. “Sakura's family is well liked here so if she was the target it would have to external,” she added after a moment, “Even so her family wasn't particularly well known outside Konoha. They weren't the kind you would target specifically. No particularly dangerous missions, bloodlines, or jutsu that would draw attention to them.”
Shikamaru nodded before adding, “Her family may not be the cause but she's studying under Tsunade. That alone is enough to gain her outside attention.” The others looked slightly disconcerted and Shikamaru hoped they would be able to handle the fact that a friend had been targeted. “We also have to remember the demonstration. Word could have gotten out about it. Beating the Shintenshin isn't easy or commonly done combine that with her medical skills and we have a possible threat,” Shikamaru concluded showing once more why he was the genius of the group.
“Well that makes her a target, but what about Naruto? Do we assume that just because he's Jiraiya's student he's a threat as well?” Chouji asked.
“Naruto's been a threat since at least the Chuunin Exams. The dead last in the rookie class makes it through to the Third Exam and then beats the previous year's genius who not only has more experience but also the Byakugan. He manages to win the fight despite having his opening points closed, which is supposed to be impossible,” Neji said bluntly.
Shikamaru could only nod. “Add to it the fact that the majority of the jutsu he was using at the demonstration were Jounin level and above, a possible blood line limit and an unknown history. Naruto is like a wild card. You don't want someone with his skill running around without knowing everything about him,” he added.
“What do you mean by unknown history?” Lee asked.
“I looked it up after our last talk. There are no records for Naruto, at least not open to the public. The last Uzumaki in Konoha died almost thirty years ago. He seems to come out of nowhere,” Ino explained.
“We also couldn't find any information about him. All we really know was that he started the academy, failed three times, passed and became a Genin, before that nothing. We couldn't even find his birthday,” Chouji admitted.
After a few minutes were allowed for the Rookies to absorb what they were told Shikamaru broke the silence again. “Has anyone heard of the Akatsuki?” he asked curiously, even though he doubted anyone would know who they were if he hadn't been able to find anything on them. Supporting his belief everyone except Neji shook their heads; Neji had of course heard about them from the same source as him.
“Why?” Chouji ventured.
“Naruto mentioned them; we think that Kisame guy was a member,” Shikamaru answered.
“What about them?” Ino questioned.
“Does anyone have any ideas why someone like Kisame was after Naruto? He mentioned that he felt guilty about Sakura's parents because they were after him,” Neji stated.
“When did Naruto tell you that?” Kiba growled.
Shikamaru and Neji glanced at each other a bit guiltily before Shikamaru finally answered, “We sort of tracked Naruto down after the funeral and overheard a few things we probably shouldn't have.” The others fought the urge to groan at them. After a bit of silence Shikamaru sighed and stood up. “Well if no one knows anything else just keep asking questions discreetly. We'll talk again later,” he said as we walked out.
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
“Hatake-san,” Ino shouted as she and Chouji rushed to meet the Jounin. Ino actually felt a bit guilty ambushing him like this; the masked Jounin looked tired and considering how close they were to the front gate she thought he might have just returned from a mission. Pushing the considerate part of her aside she stuck to the plan. “We were wondering when Naruto's birthday is?” she asked sweetly remembering not to show any signs of worry.
Kakashi crooked an eyebrow slightly so Ino smiled brightly and chirped, “It's just that we seemed to have missed it because it's been almost a year since the Chuunin Exams and we haven't heard anything about it. We were hoping it was in the next few weeks because we were hoping we could still throw a party or something for him.” Kakashi looked down at her and both Ino and Chouji got the feeling that he wasn't fooled.
“How do you know he would have invited either of you if he had already celebrated his birthday?” Kakashi questioned. Ino blinked in confusion before frowning but Chouji just looked at him. “We may not be Naruto's closest friends but he would at least tell us when his birthday is,” the chubby Genin claimed causing Kakashi to gaze at him for a moment before shrugging and shaking his head. It was pointless to lie or try to hide the answer from them that would just look more suspicious. “You missed it already,” he said bluntly.
Ino and Chouji deflated a bit but neither lost hope. “Can you at least tell us when it is so we don't miss it next year?” Ino pleaded.
“It was October 10th,” Kakashi stated causing both to look up for a moment. “Well that's lucky,” Ino exclaimed, “He has a birthday party with the entire
Village at the festival.”
“Not really,” Kakashi said cutting in. “Naruto didn't tell any of you because he doesn't celebrate his birthday. He never went to the festival because he was born thirteen years ago,” he added before turning to walk away. “And tell Shikamaru not to jump to conclusions,” he added as he disappeared from view.
He didn't actually like yelling at his comrades' students but what they said ticked him off. It was true that most children born on festival days were considered lucky but Naruto had drawn the short straw. The kid's birthdays were even more hellish then the rest of his days and he didn't like having to listen to others assume things about his blond Genin. He also wondered if he should tell the others just how curious their Genin were being but decided not to; it wasn't his place to interfere he thought smirking before shaking his head and wiping the smirk off his face.
Ino and Chouji watched in confusion as Kakashi walked purposely away from them. Neither could figure out why but they both felt as if they had insulted him some how. Instead of pondering for too long they went to find Shikamaru to report what they had learned, hopefully it would help somewhat.
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
Konohamaru fidgeted and glanced up at the sun before screwing up his face and setting off after the two Rookies who had just passed him. “Hey, you!” he shouted managing to catch Shikamaru's attention. Konohamaru caught up to Shikamaru and Neji before glancing nervously at the sun again; he was really starting to hate rainbows, but at least it hadn't been a full moon as well.
Shikamaru looked curiously at the Academy Student who had flagged him down. Just a month and a half ago he had been practically begging the runt for answers and now the brat seemed to want something from him as well. He glanced up to see what Konohamaru kept glancing at but failed to see what was so interesting - there wasn't a cloud in the sky. “What is it?” he grunted out, he vaguely noticed that Neji was glancing around them making sure that they weren't drawing attention.
“That's a bad omen,” Konohamaru finally said pointing to the rainbow around the sun. Shikamaru raised an eyebrow slightly before preparing to turn away. Konohamaru grabbed his arm and looked up at him rather desperately causing the lazy Chuunin to stop and look at the younger boy. “We were attacked,” he said gazing at his feet. Both Rookies immediately jumped to attention; Konohamaru waved his arms quickly before saying, “Not today.” Shikamaru gazed at him for a moment before comprehension dawned on his face.
“Two days after the demonstration we skipped classes. We followed Naruto nii-san and the pink haired one to training. We were getting ready to head back when we were attacked,” he stated glancing around nervously. “She was taking us back to the village when one of the attackers caught up and we were sent ahead. That night the Hokage told us not to tell anyone, she said they would do everything they could to find nii-san.”
Shikamaru and Neji were looking at Konohamaru with what could only be described as horror. After a moment Shikamaru took a deep breath before kneeling down next to Konohamaru. “What else do you remember?”
Konohamaru thought for a moment before looking back up, “She told us to tell Tsunade-sama that it was Sound.”
Shikamaru heard Neji curse behind him and he was tempted to look back. “Why tell us now?” Neji asked a bit sharply.
Konohamaru looked at him nervously before stating, “That's a bad omen,” and pointing to the rainbow around the sun. “There was one there the day they were attacked and it was the day after the full moon; Naruto nii-san and Sakura-san both said that the full moon and the day after were bad omens especially when it came to their team.”
“You think something bad is going to happen today,” Neji said a bit more gently. Konohamaru nodded before glancing down at his feet again. “I don't think they're going to be found,” he said before walking away leaving Shikamaru and Neji gaping at each other.
“Go get the others. I'll meet you at Team 7's bridge,” Shikamaru said before running off.
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
“Tsunade-sama,” Anko shouted as she ran into the Hokage's office. Tsunade looked up sleepily but quickly jumped to attention when she saw the panicked look on Anko's face. Anko's slight panting was enough to alert the Hokage to the urgency of whatever had caused the other woman to run all the way to her office. “I'm sorry, it's just that I wasn't home last night and then I had a mission this morning so I didn't get this till like ten minutes ago. The minute I read it I came straight here,” Anko gasped out while shakily handing a scroll to Tsunade.
The blond Hokage took the scroll with a raised eyebrow. As Tsunade read Anko furthered her explanation. “All the note to me said was that Kakashi left sometime yesterday after hearing from Rin. It said that the note in that scroll should be brought to you and that it would explain everything,” she added.
Tsunade nodded blankly, too engrossed in reading to really listen to the hyper-active Jounin. A moment later Tsunade closed her eyes and took a deep breath before looking up at Anko. “Please have all Jounin available meet in my office within the next hour. Tell Jiraiya to wait at the gate for Kakashi and to escort them straight here,” Tsunade took another deep breath attempting to compose herself before continuing, “Get Iruka as well.” With that said she turned away from Anko, though the psychotic shinobi swore she heard a slight sob as she walked out of the room. This was not good.
A half hour later a number of grumbling Jounin were gathered in Tsunade's office. Not grumbling - more like standing in terrified silence - were Iruka, Anko and the others standing near the barely composed Hokage. They doubted the Hokage would be so distressed by good news and Kakashi's absence, along with Anko's brief explanation for it, did little to lift their fears. After ten minutes of waiting Gai entered and walked straight to Tsunade. “They just arrived at the gates, Jiraiya sent me ahead to alert you that he is with Kakashi,” Gai said with slight bow to Tsunade. Tsunade took a deep breath before nodding and standing up to walk around to the front of her desk where she fixed her eyes on the entrance to her office.
A few moments later a very angry looking Jiraiya walked in followed by Kakashi and another man carrying a woman between them. Anko's eyes lit up slightly and murmur went around the room when Rin entered behind them. Rin nodded once in acknowledgement to Tsunade before stepping back out of the way. Jiraiya went over to stand next to Tsunade managing to easily dwarf his ex-teammate. Those standing near him could feel the air buzzing around him and they knew why when the woman Kakashi had brought in lifted her head revealing the Sound Forehead protector still displayed there. Three ANBU walked forward and took hold of her allowing Kakashi and the cloaked man with him to walk back to Rin.
The Sound Nin gulped audibly when Tsunade bit out, “State your name and the reason you were brought in.” The young woman took a deep breath before straightening up and looking at Tsunade. “I am Gazan of the Sound Four. I was sent to Akatsuki with news from Orochimaru. I was then brought here by your Nins; I am not fully aware of the reason behind that,” Gazan said.
Tsunade looked back at Kakashi's group after; receiving a slight nod from the three she turned back to Gazan. “You were among the group to attack Uzumaki Naruto and Haruno Sakura,” Tsunade said eliciting a nod of confirmation from the Sound Nin. “What can you tell us of their fate?” she questioned again gaining a curious look from Gazan. “They are both dead that should have been obvious enough,” she replied gaining a glare from many in the room. “There were no bodies,” Tsunade said, “What concrete evidence can you give us?”
Gazan looked at her for a moment before speaking softly, “Only my word, but I doubt that is enough.” Tsunade turned to Yamanaka Inoshin and beckoned him forward. “There is a jutsu that would allow him to display parts of your memories for us. It can only be used with cooperation of the participant, would you agree to allow us to see the fights against Uchiha Sasuke, Uzumaki Naruto, and Haruno Sakura?” Tsunade asked trying to keep the fear off her face. She didn't actually want to see what had happened to them, but confirmation was needed. After a moment of thought Gazan conceded, “You may, but only the memories pertaining to the fights.” Tsunade nodded. The interrogators could get more information about Sound from her later; now she just wanted closure.
The shinobi moved out of the way as they were directed leaving an area of the floor in the center of the room open. Many were shoved to the back as Anko and the others pushed to the front. She vaguely noted that Kakashi, Rin, and the man that had come in with them had pushed to the front as well. She couldn't figure out why but she felt as if she should know the person with them.
“Remember I want confirmation on the death Uchiha Sasuke as well,” Tsunade reminded Inoshin as she stepped back by Jiraiya. Inoshin nodded and began the rather long sequence of seals required for the jutsu.
The group of Jounin watched as Sasuke turned on the group. Gazan allowed them to start after Masahiro and Idzumo had left but what they saw was enough. Several actually smiled when they heard Sasuke claim, “I have never held any loyalty to Orochimaru.” Of course their smiles quickly wilted under the intense glares they gained for the action.
Their view of the fight was lost when Gazan moved out of sight due to the Enten Bassuto no Jutsu. They vaguely heard a sound suspiciously similar to the Chidori and then silence. When they next saw the youngest Uchiha he was standing over Urinuru's body and had gained several severe wounds. There was no doubt in anyone's mind that the boy they were watching was dying.
Many of the gathered shinobi shifted uncomfortably upon hearing Gazan ask why he would “defend a demon and some weak little girl?” Several glanced over at Kakashi to find he and Rin watching the young woman with an unbelievably cold look; she appeared surprisingly unaffected and they wondered vaguely if it was affect of the jutsu being used on her. Even more were shocked to hear Sasuke laugh before calling Gazan more of a monster than Naruto. Even the other senseis seemed shocked by his statement; Kakashi of course looked proud.
Kakashi earned questioning glances from almost every shinobi in the room when Sasuke mentioned the Haku incident, but many turned their thoughts elsewhere when they heard “At least they'll live.” They watched as Sasuke deactivated his Sharingan before being hit by a fire jutsu from Gazan. By the end of the sequence nearly everyone in the room was glaring at Gazan, who still remained unaffected. Anko watched curiously as Rin reached over to the cloaked figure beside her and whispered something to him. He nodded once before Rin leaned back over to Kakashi.
Unfortunately Gazan wasn't quite so kind for Naruto and Sakura. She began the memory of that fight the moment she arrived, just in time to see Naruto use the Rasengan to kill Idzumo. Those that knew the boy felt they would be sick on his behalf as he struggled to keep his face blank. They watched as the remaining Sound Nins avoided answering many of their questions. As Naruto struggled to comprehend what was being said as well as a keep a handle on the situation. Tsunade was starting to wish she had pushed Genma for further details of the fight. She didn't like what she was seeing and she was pretty sure she shouldn't have allowed so many people to be there now that she was seeing it herself.
Many in the room felt they would be sick as Gazan taunted Naruto about the kill, mostly due to the fact that many had thought the same thing about the young boy. Hearing her bring in Sasuke's rather high opinion of the boy made it worse. Sakura's teary eyes and obvious high emotions made the taunting even more difficult to watch. Hearing Naruto's clipped explanation of the confrontation with Haku peaked the curiosity of almost everyone in the room. Shock was apparent on almost everyone's face when Naruto stated that he would die to protect Sakura, Genma…and even Sasuke.
Tsunade thought she was going to be ill when she watched Naruto and Sakura learn their teammate had died for them. As the attack continued the queasy feeling became worse. She didn't want to watch this she thought as her eyes remained glued to the scene playing out in front of her eyes. She didn't want to see Sakura's reaction to learning about the Kyuubi. She didn't want to see Naruto lose someone over something that wasn't his fault. She didn't want to watch her student and blond runt die in front of her eyes.
As Tsunade was lost in her own thoughts the room watched as Genma, Naruto and Sakura struggled to fight off the Sound Nins. Jiraiya almost groaned when he saw the pathetic swamp Naruto created before realizing it probably showed how exhausted the kid had been after training and the earlier fight.
When Sakura was suddenly pinned to a tree several of the Jounin gasped and muttered in confusion drawing Tsunade out of her thoughts. When she saw the same thing happen to Naruto she had to draw a deep breath causing Jiraiya to glance over at her in concern. She just knew she wasn't going to like what she saw next. The others watched as the two Sound Nin moved in front of Naruto.
“Do your friends' lives mean so little that you continue to hold back against us?” The majority of the Jounin glanced around in confusion not understanding Gazan's question. They watched in horror as Naruto appeared to be suffocating due to an unknown force. Genma glanced once at Kakashi before turning away.
“You can't honestly be pompous enough to believe that you are a threat to Orochimaru simply because you are Jiraiya's pupil. The girl is dangerous for that reason but not you. Your death will achieve much more; even if he can't use you to gain the Mangekyou Sharingan he can destroy his enemy's plans.” Many shivered at the implication. Several shinobi began wondering just what had happened when the Akatsuki had heard what the Sound Nin in front of them had had to say.
“Not even the Kyuubi is worth our full power.” The man's statement caused several to shift uncomfortably. Were they actually boasting of true power or merely trying to break the boy's confidence? Sakura's confusion didn't go unnoticed by many and several grew fearful as they watched Gazan look over to her.
I must say I am disappointed that someone with such legendary power has put up such a weak fight against us. Though I suppose you did show your true colors when you killed our comrade in cold blood.” It took them a moment to realize that although the woman was looking at Sakura she was still speaking to Naruto. When the realization hit many looked around in apprehension. This wouldn't be good.
Shut up.” The young Genin's growl made several jump as it broke the unnervingly calm tone of the Sound Nin. Tsunade was trying to control her erratic breathing as she watched Naruto grow steadily paler and struggle to breathe. Although she did manage a slight smile when she saw him react to Sakura's scream.
My understanding was that you had grown strong enough to pose a challenge to Sasuke-sama, but I cannot understand how one as weak as yourself could pose a challenge to him. You shame the demon's name.” Several glanced sympathetically at Genma after seeing him tossed like a rag doll, but most couldn't take their eyes of the two Genin being tortured.
Use the demon.” Masahiro's command broke through the room. Several looked away from the scene in front of them.
You look confused.” Tsunade leaned back against her desk for support as she watched the Sound Nin approach Sakura. She couldn't stand watching this knowing it was much too late to help them. She knew she didn't want to watch was coming. She didn't want to watch Naruto be hurt like this. Was this torture really necessary?
You don't know your teammate well do you. He obviously doesn't trust you.” Shizune gulped audibly as she fought back tears. Physical torture was one thing but she knew the impact this type of psychological torture would have was far worse. Ibiki was suddenly reminded of all the torture sessions he had taken part in as giver and receiver. In truth the two he was watching were holding up rather well considering the normal emotional states they were in. He only hoped Tsunade would give him the chance to return the favor to the woman they had brought in. He wondered if she would hold up as long as they did.
For him to keep something like this from you is preposterous. To be endangered by your own teammate. Of course your sensei would have known as well, he had to have been told what the boy was.” Even more Shinobi glanced away from the scene. Many had voiced similar complaints when Naruto had graduated and placed on a team with others. They had continued fighting against his participation in almost every aspect of shinobi life claiming he was danger to others. Several glanced nervously at Kakashi. The looks he and Rin were sending the Sound Nin were enough to make even the strongest among them quiver with fear. Anko fought not to smirk when she realized that the others had finally grasped why she was scared of the two older Jounin.
I must say I pity you for being subjected to the presence of something as vile as him.” Tsunade prayed Naruto was strong enough not to fall for this. She couldn't stand believing that he had died with this on his mind.
Please stop.” The shinobi could only watch weakly as Sakura pleaded. Whether she couldn't handle the physical pain or seeing what was happening to her teammate didn't matter, the young girl's vulnerability was painful to watch.
He should have been killed years ago. I heard this village was wonderful once but I'd want to live here even less than the Hidden Village of Sand. Living with a monster like Gaara is one thing. But being forced to live with one who pretends to be innocent after the massacre he caused is even worse.” Several Jounin glanced away guiltily upon hearing Gazan's words. The child they were watching was nothing like his counterpart. How could they not have seen it sooner? Even worse, had he known they had thought that?
I don't blame your village in the least for hating the Kyuubi. All the pain he's caused reminding them daily of everyone they lost while grinning at their pain.” A number of Jounin paled at once again hearing their own thoughts voiced by the Sound Nin. They had used that excuse to hate the boy for years and now it was being used to torture him and his teammate. They honestly didn't know how the two Genin hadn't broken down already.
Naruto…please…” Sakura's desperate plea caused a small tear to slip down Tsunade's cheek. At least the girl still wanted his help.
“Kami,” Anko whispered when Naruto looked hopelessly at Sakura. She turned to glare at the Sound Nin in front of her and she saw the ANBU holding her tighten his grip painfully on the girl's arm. The sadistic part of her wanted to smile when she thought of the bruise the bitch would end up with.
Rin forced herself not to turn away; His eyes had looked like that once. It had been the day of His death as well.
Shut up.” The force in Sakura's voice caused everyone to turn back to the scene.
Your Yondaime was so strong he defeated the Kyuubi, that's what you were told isn't it?” Here it comes, Jiraiya thought regretfully. It was actually amazing that no one had ever thought of that before.
He wasn't strong enough you know. No mortal can just kill a demon, especially not one like the Kyuubi, one of the strongest. So he sealed it.” Tsunade prayed Sakura wouldn't turn away. She couldn't turn away from Naruto. The blonde's horrified face told her he knew exactly what Gazan was about to say…and she wasn't sure he could handle it.
Your friend there carries a lovely looking seal on his stomach. Whenever he wants he can tap in to that power. It's curious isn't it; he said he'd die for you but he isn't even using his full power to protect you.” The group watched as Sakura slowly comprehended what had been said. Jiraiya bowed his head after seeing the horror on her face and Naruto's beaten form. He should never have been through that. The boy should never have had to be broken before dying; it was the cruelest thing to do to someone that strong.
When Sakura was released and Genma passed out the group turned their attention to Naruto. Even to those who had disliked or simply not known the boy his slumped and bowed form showed defeat. Those who had seen his performance at the Chuunin Exam could hardly believe that it was the same person.
A moment later Sakura's cries once again brought everyone back to attention. They watched in confusion as she struggled to remove an invisible object that appeared to be choking her. When Gazan froze Anko actually snickered when she realized what move Naruto had used on her. Orochimaru probably threw a fit when he figured out what she had done. Unfortunately Anko was one of the few who saw the irony of the situation; most of the group was too entranced by their first sight of a rather Kyuubified Naruto.
No one but Tsunade and Jiraiya knew what to think when an arm of red chakra slammed into the male Sound Nin. The tail that came next wasn't quite as big of a shock but still a bit unnerving. The hand returned slowly drawing the Nin towards Naruto until he managed to escape the hand's grasp. It wasn't long before the second Sound Nin fell victim to the Rasengan.
When Naruto fell back and clutched his arm the Kyuubi's chakra began to fade. A moment later he looked up with fearful blue eyes that would have caused most hearts to break. Tsunade almost sighed in relief when she saw Sakura scramble over to help Naruto. Apparently the majority of the group was pleased as well because she swore she heard a collective sigh of relief go through them. And then Gazan ran. The group watched in confusion Until the Sound Nin came out of the tree line at the river. Those that had been there recognized the area of destruction they had seen when they arrived.
“What is he doing?” Jiraiya whispered when he saw Naruto a moment later.
You really are an idiot,” Gazan said looking at the Genin who had followed her.
So I've been told,” Naruto replied. Gazan could only stare at him. This kid just wouldn't back off. She thought they had broken him enough for an easy kill and Masahiro still got himself killed. Now when she was leaving he came after her. Gazan watched Naruto as she activated the first level of the curse seal. They had made the same mistake as the previous Sound 4 by underestimating their opponents and playing around too much. She wouldn't take chances anymore.
She grew slightly unnerved when he actually smirked. The Sound Nin knew why a moment later when red chakra began seeping out and surrounding the boy. The whisker marks on his cheeks grew more severe; the red slitted eyes narrowed into a fierce glare; his nails grew and sharpened into claws as his canines turned to fangs; the most intimidating visual was the fox like form the chakra showed around him.
Taking a deep breath Gazan activated the second level of the seal; to attempt to fight him at any lesser level would be suicide. When Naruto attacked she was barely able to dodge and she silently cursed the seal for the small amount of power it gave her. “When did you learn this?” she asked trying to distract the blond. It only served to make Naruto smirk and continue attacking.
After a few minutes Naruto jumped away and the Kyuubi's chakra disappeared. Gazan looked at him inquiringly but didn't have time to question him before he lunged at her again. She got the impression that he was still tapping into the fox's power but the effects were much less visible. She figured out why when she felt another presence break from the tree line and turned to find her target Haruno Sakura watching them and panting slightly. She knew the boy was watching her but she ignored him and lunged at Sakura.
Tsunade watched as Naruto blocked a blow for Sakura she also noticed that he appeared pleased that it hadn't been necessary. Kakashi actually smiled at the obvious signs of improvement which caused many to look at him oddly. Sakura landed a blow and they watched as the two once again seemed to have escaped. The Oni that Gazan summoned a moment later explained why the two appeared back on the shore several minutes later.
Why do you put up with all of it?” The Sound Nin asked after studying Naruto for a moment. Tsunade almost immediately prepared herself for what she knew would be another round of psychological torture, though Naruto's confusion made many others wonder what was going on.
You don't honestly believe that Sasuke was the only one Orochimaru watched in this village do you. He was part of the Akatsuki before he founded Sound; you were his initial target.” Tsunade suddenly wondered if somewhere along the line they had made a fatal mistake. She had always assumed Orochimaru acted impulsively for power. If he had studied Naruto… this could be bad; not even she knew what the boy had been through.
He had you watched from such a young age. Waiting for the day you would break or snap, no one ever believed you would actually be able to live like you did.” Sakura's obvious concern and confusion pained those watching. The shinobi who had been in the village long enough knew exactly what Gazan was referring to and they weren't sure they wanted their new Hokage to hear about it.
The hatred that you could never explain. The threats that you could never justify. You never knew and yet you stood strongly; Orochimaru admires that.” Naruto's blank stare and Gazan's flattering tone made Tsunade almost gasp. This wasn't torture, this was an offer. She was trying to gain Naruto's betrayal, trying to bring him to Orochimaru's side. She knew the boy would never betray them, but she knew what Gazan would be saying and listened intently.
I've heard Kabuto speak of you to Orochimaru. Everything he saw and heard about you. When did you begin receiving death threats? When you four, five? The village waited until you were old enough to read them and then expanded their torture.” Kakashi's glare intensified when he heard Kabuto mentioned. Those in the room who had known Naruto appeared shocked when they heard about the threats. Tsunade had been under the impression that they were a recent development. Had he really been receiving them for almost eight years?
Were you ever beaten? Ever hit? How often? To put up with such violence from a young age and still smile everyday as if nothing is wrong.” Naruto's passive face and shaking rid the group of any doubts that what Gazan said had been false. Tsunade was prepared to kill someone if she ever found out what had really happened to the boy. She glanced at Kakashi and Rin and noticed that though they were glaring at the Sound Nin neither looked surprised. She decided they would be the ones to ask.
You've been glared at and taunted since you first stepped outside. No one to care for you. No one to show you how to live correctly and yet you still do. You still care. How can you protect a village that would turn you over in an instant?” Anko wanted to kill that little bitch. She could see the memories being played across his eyes and the pain she was causing him. This was all Orochimaru's damn fault. First he destroyed her childhood and now he was destroying three more. She also wanted to kill about half the village, she could still remember hearing Kakashi and Rin talk about what Naruto put up with. Hell, she could still recall the number incidents she had seen with her own eyes.
You saved your teacher's life and became a Genin. You saved your teammate's life. You fought Orochimaru when he came after Sasuke. You almost died. You fought and won against a genius who many said couldn't be beaten. You defeated Gaara and saved her. You saved your entire village. You gave them a new Hokage. Protected her and almost died when you fought Kabuto. You risked your life and fought your best friend. Do they know what he did to you? Did you tell anyone about that fight?” Many in the room shifted uncomfortably. They hadn't known anything about most of those incidents. They had heard about the night the boy had become a Genin but only that he had managed to learn Kage Bunshin. They had heard about the fight against Sasuke but not that it had been life threatening. They definitely had not heard about any of the others and many had been under the impression that the Uchiha had been the one to fight and defeat the Sand Nin.
He used the chidori. The move your sensei taught only to him. He shoved his fist through you chest. If you hadn't possessed the fox you would have died. And still nothing changed. It only got worse.” Kakashi's breath hitched in his throat. He hadn't been told that. Judging by everyone else's looks only Tsunade and Jiraiya had. He hadn't known that Sasuke had actually fallen so far as to try and kill Naruto.
“Do you think you would have ever graduated if not for that situation? Did anyone congratulate you for your success? Did anyone thank you for all the times you risked you life for them? Did she ever thank you for saving her? Does the village acknowledge how much you've given them? How much you've given up for them?” The majority of the room's occupants straightened when they saw Naruto stop trembling. Those that had realized what Gazan was aiming for feared that she may have succeeded and Naruto's next words seemed to confirm their suspicions.
“No, I never would have become a Genin. No one ever congratulated me. No one ever thanked me and none of the villagers have acknowledged me.” Tsunade watched in confusion. She hadn't come back to Konoha until after most of what had been talked about, but how could what she had just heard been true. How could someone like Naruto have struggled so much in the academy to graduate? She actually grew frightened when she saw Naruto glare at Sakura, but when his gaze softened she realized it was directed to the Sound Nin and not his teammate. She never heard Anko whisper, “Kami,” behind her. Even Rin and Kakashi seemed to have taken aback.
He'll acknowledge you. He can give you power. Orochimaru will accept you. He doesn't care about the Kyuubi.” Kakashi struggled not to hit something. Not only were the anxious eyes getting on his nerves but so was the stupidity of the Sound Nin talking. They obviously hadn't paid enough attention to his brat if she thought she could tempt him with power.
“As much as you watched me you didn't watch enough.” Kakashi watched proudly when he realized he had guessed right.
“I don't want Orochimaru's power. Orochimaru cares about the Kyuubi because you wouldn't be making this offer to me if I wasn't his vessel. Orochimaru will only use me against the village and others.” The room watched in awe as Naruto turned her down. After everything they had just heard, how could the boy still fight for them? They knew that as shinobi one was expected to give their life for their village, but normally that was because of the close relationship between the shinobi and the villagers. How could this boy forgive what had been done to him?
“How can you continue to protect them? They hate you. You're nothing but a monster-” Many glared at Gazan as she voiced their thoughts again.
“He isn't a monster. Sasuke was right you are more of a monster than he ever could be even if he tried.” Tsunade looked relieved when she heard Sakura voice her opinion. If anything hearing it would help Naruto keep fighting. She glanced at Jiraiya but noticed that he was staring blankly at Naruto's face. Instead of interrupting him she turned back to watch.
“You can fulfill your dreams.” Anko smirked at the Sound Nin's frustration. She was enjoying watching Orochimaru's plans foiled. Of course she knew she wouldn't enjoy the outcome.
What dreams? I'd end up serving the same purpose Sasuke had.” Jiraiya stiffened slightly causing Tsunade to look at him oddly. She got the vague suspicion that her ex-teammate wasn't paying attention to the scene in front of them anymore.
It's an honor.” The shinobi in the room attempted not to scoff at the girl's devotion to Orochimaru. If she actually believed what she was saying then it was sickening. Anko actually felt sorry for her.
I've already got one bastard trying to take over my mind I don't want another. Besides I hear foxes and snakes don't get along well,” Kakashi and several others that knew Naruto actually laughed at the first joke they had heard him tell in months. It was relief to know that he actually had been returning to normal.
Why do you insist on protecting them? There is no one in that village that cares for you.” Gazan's declaration made several shinobi stiffen in anger. Jiraiya came out of his daze just in time to glare at the girl who had made it.
Maybe so, but there are people there that Icare for. I won't let the rest of the village be hurt because that puts them at risk as well.” Iruka looked like he was struggling as he watched Naruto. Out of those in the room he had had the most prolonged impact on Naruto. Tsunade glanced at him gratefully knowing that Naruto probably wouldn't have been strong enough to say that if hadn't been for him.
She watched proudly as Sakura managed to put together everything Gazan had told them and suggest that they bring the Nin in instead of killing her. Even so she couldn't blame Naruto for the anger he had towards her. She was also a bit shocked when Naruto mentioned that he wouldn't have been able to learn the Chidori, judging by Kakashi's reaction he hadn't been the one to tell Naruto.
Kakashi and Rin seemed to be the only ones concerned by Naruto's reluctance to go back to the village and his last glance at the forest.
She was horrified when she saw the Nin pull out another calligraphy brush; she could have sworn Sakura had disarmed her before they began talking. With the aid of the Oni she had summoned Gazan overpowered the two tired Genin and even with the help of the frog Naruto summoned it was obvious they were losing. When she saw Sakura go under she struggled to watch as Naruto followed her. As she lost sight of the two she bowed her head. This was not what she wanted to see.
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
After hearing what Konohamaru said Shikamaru had taken off. He and Neji had been on their way to check out Naruto's apartment to see if there was anything there that would have helped them. Instead of helping the stubborn Hyuuga round up the other Rookies he decided to finish what they had started. The two had spent months trying to figure out what the blond was hiding from them and if he was to be honest with himself he wanted to know that just as much as he wanted to know what had happened after the attack.
He reached Naruto's apartment and the first thing he noticed was that one of the boy's windows had been broken. This time though Naruto wasn't there to hide the rock - well rocks actually - that had broken it. The floor was strewn with rocks anchoring slips of paper. After glancing around Shikamaru's curiosity got the best of him and he reached down to pick one up. His face paled a bit as he read the note before quickly going on to the next one. When he had read about twenty he felt he understood why Naruto's face had darkened when he had picked one up that day over five months ago Shikamaru realized sadly.
He gathered the notes and began running while his mind raced as well. His eyes widened and he skidded to a halt before slowly opening one of the notes. He could care less that his behavior was attracting attention. Monster…Demon brat…it was just like the day he had seen Kakashi almost kill that Chuunin. He hadn't understood at the time but… “Kami,” Shikamaru whispered before taking off again. How could they not have seen it before?
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
“Neji,” Shikamaru yelled as he ran up shocking the gathered Genin.
Neji turned to look at Shikamaru waiting for him to continue. “You said Naruto told you he understood how you felt about the seal, right? That he could understand what it was like to be burdened with something you could never rid yourself of.” Neji could only nod.
Shikamaru took a gasp of air before continuing. “I think I know why they were after Naruto,” he said quietly, “Temari told me that demons couldn't be killed. She said it was impossible for a human, no matter how strong, to defeat an immortal being like a demon.”
“What are you saying Shikamaru?” Ino asked. “Neji already told us about the attack, this wasn't just about Naruto. Sound was after both of them,” she added trying not to cry.
Shikamaru desperately shook his head. “You don't understand. This isn't about Sound or even their disappearance. Naruto once told Gaara he had a monster in him, I thought he was bluffing,” he said looking everyone in the eye.
“Shikamaru,” Chouji said in confusion but Shikamaru just waved it off.
“Kyuubi was a demon so he couldn't have actually been killed,” he finally said. The others looked at him in shock.
“What the hell, Shikamaru,” Kiba yelled at him.
“If what Naruto said is true,” Shikamaru said fishing around in his pockets before handing them the notes he had taken from Naruto's apartment. “Naruto was born thirteen years ago on the day of the Kyuubi's death. There isn't any information about his family or anything else.”
As they read the notes and listened Hinata was trying not to cry. Chouji looked up at Shikamaru stunned. “It can't be true. He's not like Gaara,” he said.
Shikamaru shook his head. “No he's not, but there's no other explanation.”
The others looked up at him in dread. Hinata was no longer the only one with tears in her eyes and even the guys seemed to be struggling with what they were learning.
“The Kyuubi was sealed in Naruto thirteen years ago.”
XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
Naruto and Sakura surfaced and barely made it the river edge before Naruto collapsed; Sakura wasn't moving. Gazan walked slowly over to the two Genin before pulling them higher onto the shore. She focused on Sakura and leaned down to check the girl's pulse only to find it already gone. She shook her head before reaching down and pulling off the girl's forehead protector. She wasn't leaving the bodies and Orochimaru would require proof. She stood up and gave Sakura's body one last glance before turning away.
Walking over to Naruto she realized that the boy was unfortunately still alive which meant she would actually have to kill him. He watched weakly as she towered over him. “Your teammate is dead,” she said emotionlessly looking down at him. Naruto glanced desperately over at Sakura but Gazan had pushed them apart when she dragged them on shore and he couldn't reach her, even so he could see that her chest wasn't moving to signify breathing. “What happened to dying for her? If you had protected her like you said you would you should be dead and not her,” she added still looking at him.
Naruto attempted to sit up, but collapsed back to the ground nearly in tears, “You're the reason they're gone.” Gazan quirked an eyebrow at him a bit before glancing back at Sakura and then turned to Naruto again. “You'll follow them soon,” she said dispassionately. “But before you do why don't you answer a few questions,” she added curiously.
The blond Genin managed to roll his eyes before shaking his head and turning away. In response Gazan walked up and removed his forehead protector. He snarled at her and attempted to swipe away her hand but was unable to do much damage. “Does this symbol mean that much to you?” she asked looking at the leaf symbol on his forehead protector. “I had his respect,” Naruto snarled attempting to summon chakra but proving too exhausted to do so. “Any other signs of respect?” Gazan questioned smirking, “I'll make sure they're returned to their owners as a sign of condolence.”
Naruto glared at her but he was barely able to sit up and respond before he crumbled down again; this time falling into unconsciousness. Gazan reached down curiously when she caught a glimpse of the necklace he wore. Orochimaru had mentioned Tsunade's bad-luck charm and she could only assume this was it. She also noticed what looked like a bandana falling out of the pocket of his jacket; when she reached down she pulled out another forehead protector, this one had a line through it similar to that of a Missing Nin. She didn't know what either of these actually meant but if Orochimaru did he would see them as further proof.
Without a thought she dismissed her Kappa and summoned the Hiryuu. Once airborne she commanded him to use his most powerful fire attack to destroy the bodies and the area. When she was satisfied with the destruction she ordered him to return her to Sound.
By the end of the scene the gathered shinobi could only look at each other in shocked silence. Iruka had collapsed into one of the chairs near Tsunade's desk and had his hands covering his mouth and nose as he tried to regain his composure. Tsunade was still staring at the space where Naruto and Sakura's bodies had been. Her hand slowly reached up reflexively to grab a necklace no longer around her neck. After a moment she spoke without looking up. “Their deaths will be announced in two days. That will give us time to contact everyone who shouldn't hear through word of mouth; even if you feel someone should know before then don't speak to them without consulting me first,” she said before dismissing them.
Ibiki slowly followed the ANBU who had a hold on Gazan and the rest trailed out after them. As one of the last of the group out Anko was still there when the cloaked figure reached into his cloak drew out a small package before walking over and placing it in Tsunade's hands. The deceivingly young Hokage looked at it for a moment before slowly opening the package drawing out three forehead protectors one was more faded and used then the others, one had a line through its symbol, and the third was immaculate. Tsunade fought back the tears and nodded once to the man who gave it to her. He walked back over to Rin and Kakashi and they turned to walk out of the room. The four were still there to see Tsunade reach hesitantly into the box again to draw out a small crystal necklace. Anko closed the door behind her just in time to hear muffled sobs on the other side.
 
Agent's Spiel: In case anyone got confused here's a slight timeline thingy:
The meeting at the beginning is the one Shikamaru calls after speaking with Asuma last chapter (it's about 2 weeks after Naruto and Sakura disappeared)
Ino and Chouji's talk with Kakashi about Naruto's birthday is when he returns from the meeting with Rin at the end of last chapter (about 2 full months since the two disappeared)
The talk with Konohamaru is the same day as the Rin, Kakashi, and mystery man who probably isn't actually a mystery to anyone return with Gazan. Everything in this chapter from that point on is on the same day. The last two scenes are simultaneous. (about 2 and