Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ After the Dream ❯ If Only Tears Could Bring You Back ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto.
b flashbacks
b normal
 
If Only Tears Could Bring You Back
Anko walked out of the Hokage's office to see that most of the assembled Jounin were still standing in the hallway. She looked around quickly scanning for Iruka and the others, not to mention Rin, Kakashi, and whoever that other guy was. She walked over to Iruka and looked at the incredibly sober group. “Where'd Kakashi and Rin go?” she asked timidly.
Ebisu removed his sunglasses to rub his eyes a bit before responding, “They exited the office right before you did, but they took off with the man in the cloak before anyone could say anything.”
“Any idea where they might have gone?” Kurenai asked. If she were to be honest she was more curious than ever to know what exactly was going on.
Anko shook her head absentmindedly; she couldn't get that other man out of her head. She knew there was something she was missing; she knew she knew him from somewhere, but she couldn't figure out what or how. She hadn't even seen his face she thought causing her to laugh a bit desperately. The others ignored the laugh politely. Iruka glanced up and realized that everyone who had been in the Hokage's office was now watching the group nervously.
“How did we manage to get her from the Akatsuki?” Genma finally asked loud enough for most of the room to hear.
“Maybe that guy in the cloak knew something,” Asuma suggested. He was trying to ignore the fact that everyone's eyes were on them. He just hoped no one walked down the hall while they were talking; the congregation of Jounin and one Chuunin was after all a bit suspicious looking.
“Kakashi!” Anko shouted as she tried to catch her breath. It had taken her all day to find the bastard and from the looks of it he had been sitting here that entire time. “Where is she?” she asked accusingly.
“Who?” Kakashi asked curiously as he turned to look at Anko.
She had the sinking suspicion that he was taunting her but she chose to ignore it for the sake of answers. “Where's Rin? She hasn't been to work in three days,” she said walking around to stand in front of Kakashi. She grew impatient when the seventeen year old continued to ignore her. “Answer me damnit, where is she?” she shouted finally losing her patient.
“She's gone,” he finally said causing Anko to freeze and look down at him.
“What do you mean?” she said trying to keep her voice steady. “What do you mean she's gone?” she said again.
“She left Konoha three days ago; she's not coming back,” he answered steadily. Anko couldn't tell if he was being a cold jackass to impress her or if he really didn't care that Rin had left.
“Why?”
“Because she felt it was time,” was the only answer she received.
“Why didn't she tell anyone? How could she leave without saying good-bye?” Anko shouted losing her temper with calm Jounin still sitting in front of her, “She promised to spar with me when I got back from my mission,” she added despondently.
Kakashi raised his only visible eyebrow questioningly. After a moment under Anko's intense stare he finally shrugged causing Anko to lose her temper. “I am going to kill that little bitch when I see her again,” Anko said storming away looking for someone to help her wind down. She smirked evilly as she decided to go tease that cute Genin she had met that day with Rin.
Anko's head suddenly shot up, “That lousy bitch,” she yelled causing the group to look at her in confusion. “I am going to kill them when I get my hands on those three,” she added as she completely ignored everyone else and took off. The rest of the group watched in utter confusion as Anko once again showed just how insane she was.
Anko sped out of the Hokage tower and headed straight to the place she knew she would find them. They always went there when something was wrong and if this didn't count as something wrong then she would announce her engagement to Orochimaru.
“Kakashi!” Anko shouted as she tried to catch her breath. “Please tell me it's not true,” she said looking at the man in front of her desperately.
Kakashi turned slowly to look at her from his place on the cliff. “What?” he asked.
“He couldn't have done what they're saying,” Anko said breathlessly. Kakashi only stared at the younger Jounin not even bothering to respond. “I don't care about the rest of the clan but he couldn't have hurt them. He could never have harmed his parents or Sasuke,” she said more to convince herself than the jackass in front of her.
“He's gone Anko. He fled. Don't you think that shows guilt,” Kakashi asked looking at her as if she were stupid.
“He would never have hurt his brother like that,” she shouted again, “he may have been an emotionless bastard like you, but he still adored that kid; he would never have hurt him.”
“The ANBU team sent to the scene followed his trail out of Konoha; they were unable to pursue him after that. He left Konoha and he's not coming back,” Kakashi added before turning away from her and watching the village below.
Anko stared vacantly at Kakashi's back as she processed what she had just been told. Kakashi barely heard her whisper, “They're both gone. Neither said goodbye.” He felt like a bastard but nothing else could be done at the moment; the village was at risk and if this damned place was worth his sensei's sacrifice then he could suffer a blow to his reputation for it.
Anko skidded to a halt when she reached the top of Hokage Mountain. They were right where she expected them to be. Kakashi was standing watching the village as it wound down for the evening; Rin was seated near his feet doing the same thing; and if she was right…then that bastard standing slightly in front of both of them had just watched his younger brother's death.
Kakashi heard Rin take a deep breath and stand up next to him when they felt Anko approach. They both subconsciously moved to block her from reaching the cloaked man.
Anko walked forward a bit until she was standing in front of Rin. “What do you want?” Rin questioned sighing.
“You alright?” Anko asked.
Rin and Kakashi nodded before returning to looking out over the cliff. “What about you?” she asked walking over to the man in the cloak. Her only answer was an almost imperceptible nod.
“You alright?” Anko asked looking over at Rin. The usually hyper apprentice of Orochimaru was unusually subdued and Rin could only nod before turning back to watching Kakashi. The Jounin was standing not far away watching his sensei speak with the Hokage. Anko herself was waiting for Orochimaru-sensei so they could begin their latest mission; she had scampered over to check on Rin when she heard about Obito's death.
They watched as Rin's sensei walked out of the Hokage's office followed by Sandaime. “That old man is really far too old to still be Hokage,” Anko whispered trying to lighten Rin's mood a bit. The Chuunin turned and smiled weakly to show that she at least appreciated Anko's attempts.
Sandaime spoke with Kakashi for a moment before the group walked over to Rin and Anko. “Still up to mischief?” Sandaime asked Anko with a small smile one his face. Anko grinned up at him and winked cheekily causing both older men to laugh lightly. Rin grinned weakly but kept her focus on her despondent teammate.
“How is Orochimaru, Anko-chan?” Rin's sensei asked.
“He still won't let me go on B-class missions,” Anko replied pouting.
“You're still only a Chuunin, as soon as you're promoted I'll take you on higher class missions,” Orochimaru said walking up behind his student. Anko squeaked and turned around to look at her sensei with a bashful look on her face.
“Well Rin's only a Chuunin and that last mission had to be at least A-class” Anko froze and turned to look at Rin apologetically. “Sorry I probably shouldn't talk about that right now,” she whispered.
“It's okay Anko-chan, they just need a little time,” Rin's sensei said.
“Death is part of being a shinobi, if your students can't handle loss then they should look into other professions,” Orochimaru intoned harshly. “Perhaps genius is not a sign of a true shinobi,” he added glancing at Kakashi. The young Jounin had stiffened but showed no other sign that he had heard the legendary Snake Summoner.
“Don't say that to them Orochimaru. They just lost their teammate and even shinobi are allowed to mourn for friends regardless of the fact that death isn't uncommon,” Kakashi's sensei said in defense of his students.
“Death is the way of life on a battlefield, we are at war in it is inevitable,” the Snake Sennin continued.
“They know what life on the battlefield is like Orochimaru. You don't need to antagonize them after losing someone they were close to,” Kakashi's sensei added more harshly than the first response. Anko glanced up and took a step back when she saw the raw anger in the man's eyes. Rin had stood up and was watching her normally passive sensei warily.
“They obviously weren't prepared enough under your tutelage,” Orochimaru added with a smirk. “Even raw talent needs guidance if one wishes to truly become a shinobi, their performance is a reflection of that, the fact that they were so unprepared for this…” he trailed off but everyone listening understood the implication.
Kakashi's sensei had stepped forward in front of his students protectively. The fury in his eyes was the only sign of his anger as the rest of his body remained unreadable. “Orochimaru, never-”
“That's enough both of you,” Jiraiya interceded walking up, “even you would mourn if you suffered loss like they had Orochimaru.”
Anko whimpered a bit causing Kakashi's sensei to direct his gaze to her. She backed up a bit due to his glare but his eyes quickly softened as he watched her. “Sensei,” Rin said from behind him.
He turned around and cursed when he saw her watching Kakashi's retreating form. He turned and led Rin out of the building without saying anything else. Jiraiya turned to Orochimaru in aggravation. “I know you enjoy making him angry but was it really necessary to do so on today of all days?” he asked exasperatedly. Orochimaru only smirked before turning and leading Anko away for their mission.
The Snake Sennin betrayed the village one and half years later when he wasn't named Yondaime. He left the village almost killing Anko in the process. Six months after that the Kyuubi attacked taking Yondaime's life.
“His eyes,” Anko whispered coming out of her reverie. The other three turned to look at her in confusion. “He has the same eyes as Him. Not even you two can manage a glare like that,” she said shaking her head.
“No, I never would have become a Genin. No one ever congratulated me. No one ever thanked me and none of the villagers have acknowledged me,” Naruto finally said glaring at Gazan. Sakura's small whimper made him spin around to focus on her and the moment he realized he was glaring at the girl his eyes softened. Sakura couldn't get over the amount of emotion placed in those eyes. The fury made his blue orbs nearly glow.
Rin closed her eyes and looked down. “Kakashi you never answered me that day,” Anko said looking straight at him. “There's no question about it though is there, you two have known since he was born haven't you. It was why you protected him…” she trailed off when Rin took a step up to her and placed a hand on the side of Anko's face. “I'm sorry,” she whispered.
“What was she talking about?” the man in the cloak asked.
“Nothing,” Kakashi answered, “she's just a bit distraught. Her emotions are dredging up old memories.”
“Are you alright?” Rin asked Anko.
The younger woman nodded slightly before glancing down at the village. “They don't know yet. What do you think they'll do when word gets out?” she asked the others.
“I don't know and I'm not sure I want to see it when it happens,” Rin answered.
“Then you're leaving again,” Anko asked looking up at Rin.
“Just for a little, I'll be back in a week or so. I left in a hurry,” Rin explained.
“Just say goodbye this time,” Anko whispered.
“Anko, we need to head back to speak with Tsunade. Take him to my apartment,” Kakashi said looking at Anko he then turned to the other man, “stay there until I return.” Anko nodded and looked at Rin once more before turning away. She and the man in the cloak started down the mountain leaving the other two behind. Without a word the two ex-teammates were off heading for Hokage Tower.
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
“I don't know how you figured that out but I would suggest that until we all go speak with Tsunade-sama you keep your findings to yourselves. That information was kept from you for a reason and isn't wise to let it all out now,” a voice behind Shikamaru declared.
“Sis,” Kiba gasped out when he turned to see one very peeved older sister looking at him and his friends.
“Nobody say a word until we make it to Hokage Tower. You better hope the Hokage is in a good mood,” Kiba's sister said as grabbed Kiba's arm and directed the others to begin walking.
The group walked in silence for some time attempting to ignore the growing dread that was descending upon the Rookies. Being the brash boy he was Kiba broke the silence when he glanced up at his sister and nervously asked, “So Shikamaru was right then?”
His sister glared down at him before rolling her eyes. “I'm not answering any questions, Tsunade can do that,” she said before turning back to watching the road. She glared at several young Chuunin from administration looking at the group oddly. “Get back to work you idiots,” she growled as she ushered the group up the stairs.
“Of course, Inuzuka-san,” one of them said quickly before all three hurried away. Kiba's sister rolled her eyes again before returning to the task at hand.
“So where have you been?” Kiba asked innocently as he glanced sideways at her.
“On a mission brat. I just returned and found you all discussing something illegal,” she looking down at him. Kiba looked at her in shock for a moment before gazing down at his feet and continuing up the stairs.
Had Kiba's sister returned from her mission two hours before she would have been included in the meeting, as it was she was completely unprepared when she entered the main hallway behind the Rookies to find a large group of Jounin gathered. “What's going on?” she asked looking around and spotting a number of familiar faces, including her mother and the parents of many of the Rookies, in the crowed.
“Why did you bring them here?” her mother asked stepping forward.
“I overheard them talking earlier. That one,” she said pointing at Shikamaru, “found out about the Kyuubi and told the others. I brought them here to see what Tsuande-sama wanted to be done.”
Shizune jumped at this declaration and quietly crept into the Hokage's office to inform Tsunade. Nara Shikato gazed over at his son with vexation. “Shikamaru are you capable of not thinking for even five minutes?” he asked with a sigh.
Shikamaru glanced over at his father before turning away angrily. “I think we deserved to know,” he said through gritted teeth.
“And why is that? It was kept secret from almost the entire village why should you have known?” his father responded.
“Did you know about these?” Shikamaru asked ignoring his father's question and pulling out several more of the notes he had found in Naruto's apartment. Shikato raised an eyebrow and walked over to take the notes from his son. He took one and cursed as he read it before handing Inoshin and Choumaru. After those two were finished looking at them they handed them to Iruka and the other senseis. Shikamaru watched as Iruka paled upon reading the notes Naruto had received.
“Shikamaru,” Ino whispered from behind him. The shadow user turned around to look at his ex-teammate. “What is Iruka-sensei doing here?” she asked quietly.
“What do you mean?” he whispered back looking at her oddly.
“He's the only Chuunin here, everyone else in the hallway is Jounin level, a lot of them are heads of clans,” she whispered back looking at the assembled group nervously.
Shikamaru glanced taking in the group. As he scanned its members his eyes widened slightly. He didn't miss the sober, and in some cases shocked, faces of everyone there. He listened for a moment before glancing to the door to Tsunade's office. His eyes swept the hallway once more and as he passed his sensei he noticed Asuma watching him warily. Ignoring his sensei's gaze, Shikamaru glanced back at Neji and noticed that the older boy seemed to have come to the same conclusion that he had: Konohamaru had been right.
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
Ino was still trying to figure out what was going on when she noticed Shikamaru go slightly rigid. She glanced around and noticed her father send her a sympathetic glance. “Shika, what's going on?” she whispered again a bit more desperately, “Did something happen?”
When Shikamaru failed to answer she glanced back at the other Rookies and noticed that they also had baffled looks on their faces. Her face fell slightly when she saw Kakashi and a young woman walk in from outside. “Why are you all still here?” Kakashi asked vaguely noticing the Rookies. Beside him Rin studied the new additions to the gathered group. She recognized them from the day at the river and wondered if Tsunade had called for them.
The other Jounin jumped to attention as they saw Kakashi and Rin reappear. Instead of answering Kakashi many chose to inspect the recently returned Medic Nin standing next to him.
“What's going on?” Kakashi asked Kiba's sister “They know about Kyuubi,” she answered causing Rin and Kakashi to turn and survey them. “What exactly do they know?” he asked aiming the question more at the Rookies then at Kiba's sister.
“The Kyuubi was sealed inside of him thirteen years ago,” Shikamaru answered for the group.
“Just sealed?” Kakashi questioned trying to gage how much of the situation they knew. “How do you know he was just a vessel and not the Kyuubi itself?” he clarified upon seeing their confused looks.
“Naruto wasn't a demon,” Kiba growled at the silver haired sensei. Kakashi smiled slightly making sure no one could tell.
Shikamaru wasn't quite as brash as the others; instead of glaring at Kakashi he thought over what had been said before responding. “He couldn't have been the Kyuubi; if he had been he would have only had one source of chakra, as it is he has two. His normal is blue but when he gets desperate or runs out of chakra he uses a second source of red chakra,” he said shocking the majority of the room.
Rin gazed at the young Nara in shock causing him to shift uncomfortably after a few minutes under her watch. “What?” he finally asked uncomfortably. Shikamaru's question snapped Rin out of her daze; after a moment that caused Shikamaru to grow even more uncomfortable she started laughing. The rest of the room watched in shock and confusion, many still trying to comprehend what Shikamaru had said. “Am I wrong or something?” he added glancing over at an equally astonished Kakashi.
“No,” Kakashi said quietly.
“Then why is she laughing?” Kiba asked.
“Because in a day a thirteen year old managed to figure out what those three times his age haven't been able to figure out in thirteen years,” Kakashi explained sadly.
The Rookies continued to watch Rin in shock except of course for Ino who was still trying to figure what Shikamaru had discovered. “Shika, you still haven't answered me,” she said quietly looking at her teammate desperately. Rin calmed somewhat and her laughter took on slightly desperate edge that caused Kakashi lean down and help her stand her up. “Shika!” Ino added a bit more harshly causing some of those closer to them to notice their conversation.
“We'll know when Shizune comes back out,” he whispered solemnly.
“Just tell me why Iruka-sensei is here,” she hissed.
“He's here because of Naruto,” Shikamaru whispered again turning to look at Ino sadly.
“What do you mean?” she asked a bit louder than before unfortunately catching a bit more attention from the concerned adults.
“He's here because he was close to Naruto, closer than other shinobi can claim to be. He'd be called in on something concerning Naruto regardless of his rank,” Shikamaru said back glancing at the older shinobi in the room.
Shizune picked that moment to exit Tsunade's office. “Anybody here who isn't directly related to these kids or is one of those six,” Shizune said pointing to the Rookies and then at the group with Iruka, “needs to leave now. You'll bee informed of your duties at a later time.”
“Shika,” Ino hissed looking at her teammate fearfully.
“I mean that if Naruto and Sakura aren't in the Hokage's office, then…” Shikamaru trailed off looking at Ino's shocked eyes.
Shizune relieved the group of the slightly awkward silence by beckoning them into the office, “Tsunade would like to speak with you all.” She then turned to the adults and then ushered them in as well.
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
Tsunade looked up wearily as the group filed in and looked around nervously. She noticed that Sakura's blond friend Ino seemed to be on the verge of tears. It had been cruel to withhold so much information from the Rookies but she knew how rash some of them could be; they couldn't risk having any of them running off on their own frivolously chasing after their friends.
She glanced to her left and noticed Jiraiya still standing solemnly; all she wanted to do at that very moment was curl up and cry…again. After that she wanted to hunt down Orochimaru, or at the very least `supervise' Ibiki's tor… uh, interrogation of the suspect. As it was she still in her office preparing to tell these Rookies that two, no three of their own had been taken from them permanently; she vaguely considered how they would take the news about Sasuke. To be honest she was almost relieved that they not only seemed semi-prepared for the news but had also already figured out about the Kyuubi. She wouldn't have been able to see them at all if she had had to break the news to them completely out of the blue.
The Rookies and the adults in the room waited patiently for their Hokage to come out of her reverie. Rin and Kakashi mainly ignored the others preferring to stare blankly out the window lost in their own thoughts. The others politely ignored the odd behavior and concentrated on preparing to deal with what was to come.
After several minutes Tsunade cleared her throat and began. “I've been told briefly what you know but to save us all the trouble I'm going to start from the beginning. I ask that you not ask questions until I've finished it will make it easier for all of us,” she stated causing the Rookies to look at her in shock; even some of the adults seemed taken aback by the Hokage's frank beginning. “You all know about the Kyuubi so I'll begin there and hopefully clarify the situation a bit for you. Thirteen years ago when the Kyuubi attacked Konoha the Yondaime used a forbidden jutsu called the Shikifuujin. The seal is a suicide maneuver but in this case it successfully rid Konoha of the threat, in order to make sure the Kyuubi would actually be sealed away without escape Yondaime sealed the demon's soul inside a baby boy that had been born earlier that day. Aside from that I know very little. As far we can tell the only people with knowledge about the seal and the events of that day are now dead. I can tell you that in order to protect Naruto several edicts were passed forbidding those who knew of the demon within Naruto from ever speaking about it especially to Naruto himself,” Tsunade said not taking her eyes off the Rookies.
“Now under normal circumstances I would be yelling at you all for intruding into something that was never your business in the first place. As it is, I'm not going to bother. Judging by your reactions after having learned this information less than an hour ago you're all dealing it quite well. Part of me wishes Naruto was here to see it,” she said looking at them with sympathy. Shikamaru grew pale after her last statement; the other Rookies caught on rather quickly.
“When you entered the hallway I'm sure none of you failed to notice the gathering outside; I had thought that Konoha shinobi were smart enough not to be quite so obvious, but apparently I was wrong. They were there because a meeting ended nearly forty-five minutes ago. An informant and spy outside of Konoha managed to get their hands on evidence we've been searching for, for two and half months,” Tsunade paused to allow what she had said to sink in.
“Two and a half months ago Orochimaru sent the Sound 4 and Uchiha Sasuke on a mission to kill Uzumaki Naruto and Haruno Sakura,” Tsunade said, she didn't pause long enough to let any of the Rookies vocalize a reaction. If she were to stop she didn't feel she would be able to start again. “After traveling for some time Uchiha Sasuke denounced Orochimaru and managed to kill one of the four Sound Nins and injure another before he was killed. Two of the Sound Nins had already broken off from the group and arrived not long before the third. Naruto and Sakura were training together when they were attacked. Although Naruto managed to kill two of the Nins sent after them, when the third attacked both he and Sakura were too drained to fully combat the Nin. The Sound Nin who is responsible for their deaths is currently in our custody…” Tsunade trailed off as the first of the Rookies broke down.
Tears began pouring down Ino's face and her father moved up next to her to console his only daughter. Hinata's silent tears became a stark contrast as Ino's sobs increased in volume. TenTen nearly collapsed onto the floor before Neji and Lee and grabbed her; she clung to her teammates for support as she cried silently.
Kiba and Chouji, usually two of the most expressive of the group could do little more than glance around in a daze. The normally stoic Neji and Shino both looked shaken as they tried to comfort their teammates. Lee for once in his life wasn't acting overly dramatically but he was still the only one of the boys to be crying.
Shikamaru was perhaps the worst. Even though he had been the most prepared for the news it was no easier to take. Especially when the Hokage decided that that moment was a good time to tell them that the traitor they had chased after and fought for had finally decided at least one of them was worth returning the favor for. Of course this shocked Shikamaru even more; he had been under the impression that Naruto and Sasuke had fought leaving Naruto nearly dead; for Sasuke to suddenly change his mind and fight for the blond didn't make a great deal of sense to the shadow user.
The senseis watched helplessly as their students struggled to deal with what, for most at least, was their first major loss. Losing two of their close friends on the same day was difficult; couple that with all the information they had been given and the Rookies were guaranteed a difficult road ahead of them. Tsunade's sighed and glanced at the adults before speaking quietly, “It would probably be best if you take them home.” The adults looked around before nodding. “We'll announce their deaths to the public in two days time. Plans for a Memorial Service should be completed by then,” she said before quietly adding, “If any of you need anything please stop by.” With that the adults led their children and students out of the room leaving the Hokage and Jiraiya once more in Tsunade's office.
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
Kakashi and Rin's eyes trailed after the others watching the Rookies sympathetically. When the others were gone Kakashi and Rin turned back to look at Tsunade and Jiraiya.
“Tell him I'll speak to him tomorrow and we'll sort everything out,” Tsunade said barely looking at the two.
Rin nodded, “I'll be going then,” she said turning to go.
“You're leaving already?” Tsunade asked incredulously looking up to stare at Rin in bewilderment.
“I need to get back home. I left in a hurry without speaking to Rishito. I should be back in about a week in half,” Rin said apologetically. “If you still need to speak with me it can probably wait until then, right?” she asked.
“Yes of course,” Tsunade said trailing off, “the Memorial Service will be scheduled for two weeks from today. If you plan on coming be back by then.”
“I will be,” Rin answered levelly trying not to lose her temper around the Hokage.
Kakashi glanced over at Rin once before turning back to Tsunade. “Are we done here then?” he asked.
“Yes, I'll speak with you tomorrow as well,” Tsunade said waving a hand in dismissal.
Rin and Kakashi exited the office and quickly left the tower heading for Kakashi's apartment. “Are you going to speak with Senma?” Kakashi finally asked breaking the silence when they were about a block away from his apartment.
Rin continued to watch the ground for a bit before responding sullenly, “Yes, but I don't know how.”
Kakashi looked at her regretfully before heading up the stairs to his small apartment. When they entered the no longer cloaked man looked up from the couch and crooked an eyebrow at the two. “She said she'll meet with the two of us tomorrow to put everything back in order,” Kakashi said answering the unspoken question.
“What about you?” the man asked turning to Rin.
“I'm leaving in a bit. I need to take care of a few things before heading back,” she said.
“Are you returning permanently?” he asked, Kakashi glanced inquisitively at her from the corner of his eye but said nothing as she gazed at their companion.
“No,” she finally answered, “This isn't my home anymore; I have no intentions returning here permanently.”
“What about Rishito? What's left of the Akatsuki will figure everything out as soon as things settle down. It's likely that they'll come after you for information,” the other man said.
“I'm going to speak with Tsunade about that tomorrow,” Kakashi responded answering the other man's question. He received a small nod in response.
“Well then, I need to head out,” Rin said before an awkward silence fell upon them.
The man upon the couch shook his head amusement, “Most people would at least rest first,” he mumbled before lying back on the couch.
“Yes and most people would say goodbye when someone tells them she's leaving,” Rin quipped back. The man on the couch lazily raised a hand and waved it in dismissal. “Arrogant prick,” Rin whispered as she turned around preparing to leave.
“I'll be back in a week and a half,” she added as she walked out the door. Kakashi watched her walk out and subconsciously moved to the window to watch as she walked off down the darkening street. He heard a muffled cough and turned around to find the other man trying unsuccessfully to hide a smirk. He rolled his eyes as he walked to room “I'm going to bed; you're sleeping on the couch,” he said as he reached the door to his bedroom.
“It's a dark night, shouldn't you have at least walked her to the gate?” the other man asked still smirking.
Kakashi flicked him off before responding, “She's a big girl. I feel more afraid for anyone who tries to cross her when she's in this bad a mood.”
Nothing more was said for the rest of the night.
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
The next morning dawned far too early in Konoha. Tsunade cursed the sun as it rose through the windows and grumbled as she got up to prepare for the day. To put it lightly the Hokage was not in a good mood. Not only did she have a killer headache - a result from getting completely trashed the night before as she and Jiraiya tried to drown out their sorrows - but she also far too much to do that day. As she headed for her office she glanced around the village and had to fight back the tears. Tomorrow the village would know and after everything she had learned the day before she was fairly certain that she wouldn't like their reactions.
She sighed as she entered her office and glared at the pile of paperwork that had been stacked there. She glanced out the window once at the waking village before getting started. An hour later as she had finished barely a fourth of the pile when someone knocked on the door. She glared at the pile once before shouting, “Come in.”
“Tsunade-sama,” Kakashi said as he opened the door and walked in, the cloaked man behind him. “I figured we should head over before the village became too active,” he explained soberly. Tsunade nodded and beckoned for the man near the door to close it. This could take a while.
Two hours later Tsunade was once again sitting quietly in her office. She had abandoned any hope of getting her paperwork done and was choosing instead to once more watch the village below. If she were to be honest with herself she would have said that she spent entirely too much time watching the village and not enough on her actual work; as it was she quieted the nagging voice by telling herself that it was a Hokage's duty to watch out for her village.
A knock on her door and the sound of someone shuffling towards her desk caused Tsunade to turn her chair around slowly. Shizune gazed at Tsunade sadly; she knew that even though the Hokage had prepared herself for the news they had received the day before it was still difficult especially having to watch it. “Tsunade-sama,” the young black haired woman said quietly. Tsunade raised her head to look at Shizune with pain filled brown eyes causing Shizune to shiver a bit. “I know now probably isn't the best time but… we need to send word to Sand that they should call off their search teams. Also you need to meet with the elders and clan leaders to discuss possible responses,” she looked at Tsunade receiving a small nod in return, “Also you need to begin planning…,” she paused when Tsunade's eyes widened slightly. “You need to begin planning the memorial. It would probably be best if the plans were cemented before the village is told tomorrow,” Shizune ended.
Tsunade stared into space for a few minutes before turning back around to face the window. “Tell the council I'll meet with them in two hours and pick a team to head to Sand; I'll have a message for them to take within an hour,” Tsunade responded dully. Shizune nodded before turning to go. “Tell Jiraiya I need to speak with him tonight, and ask Iruka to speak Konohamaru and his friends; tell him I'm sorry but I can't do that,” Tsunade added quietly before Shizune exited.
Once Shizune had closed the door Tsunade turned slowly around to look at her desk. After several more minutes in silence she took out a scroll and began writing on it. When she was finished she scanned it over before blowing on the ink to dry it and then rolling it up. When that was finished she once more began working through the stack of paperwork.
Raido stopped by an hour after she spoke with Shizune to pick up the scroll for hidden Sand. He glanced sadly at her before leaving her in her solitude. He, Iwashi, Aoba, and Genma left immediately hoping to get the visit over with as soon as possible.
The council arrived an hour later to find Tsunade engrossed in her work. It took barely two hours for the group to come up with a proper initial response. A team, including Shizune, was sent to the Fire Country Daimyou, Lord Shijimi (1), with news of the situation and Tsunade's request for economic repercussions against Sound.
Jiraiya arrived that night already on his way to being drunk but Tsunade quickly sobered him up. They spent the next four hours discussing possible memorials for the three Genin. Afterwards Tsunade allowed Jiraiya to finish what he had started earlier; this time she joined him and for a while they almost forgot about everyone they had lost.
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
Shizune nervously entered the Academy dreading what she was about to ask Iruka to do, honestly she was more frightened of Anko's possible reaction to her causing the man pain than anything else. She quietly knocked on the door of the gentle Chuunin's classroom and waited politely for him to answer the door. “Shizune-san,” Iruka said a bit confused as to why the Jounin was there in the middle of his classes.
“Iruka-san, I apologize for interrupting but Tsunade needs a favor,” she said quietly still looking at him nervously.
“Of course, what is it?” he responded.
“She knows how much Naruto meant to you and that's why she thinks it would be best if they heard it from you,” she said cautiously.
“If who heard it from me?” he asked looking at her oddly. Shizune glanced back towards his classroom and Iruka caught on quickly. “She wants me to tell Konohamaru, Moegi, and Udon,” he said as if she were insane.
“Iruka, I know this will be hard but…”
“Hard,” he said almost losing his temper, “she wants me to tell one of my students that his idol, a boy a cared for like a brother, died over two months ago and we waited until now to tell him that.”
Shizune gave him a moment before speaking. “She can't take this now Iruka. I know you and Naruto were close; Tsunade saw him the same way, she saw him as…as hope,” she said finally. “She can't take this now,” Shizune repeated. “She can't look at her Sensei's grandson and two of his friends and tell them that their idol and his two closest friends are never coming back. She can't do that because she…she saw him the same way they did, as this village's future Hokage,” she finished whispering.
Iruka looked at her for a moment sadly before finally nodding once and turning back around and walking into his classroom. He spent the next three hours of the school day dreading what would come at the end. Before he knew it the bell rang and his classes jumped up to leave. “Konohamaru, Moegi, and Udon I need to speak with you,” he said before the three young trouble makers could leave. He vaguely noticed Hanabi give them an odd look and wondered if she had guessed what was going on because of her father and Hinata and Neji.
The Konohamaru Corps walked up to Iruka nervously. Konohamaru was fidgeting with the goggles that sat upon his head and Iruka was suddenly reminded just how much the boy in front of him was like Naruto. He looked down at three sadly before squatting down closer to eye level and sighing. “I know the three of you haven't forgotten what happened when you were with Naruto and Sakura,” he began slowly. Konohamaru's fidgeting increased and the other two's eyes widened. “Yesterday a ninja from Sound was captured… she was there the day of the attack,” he stated looking at them seriously. “I'm sorry, we've been praying that we would get good news, during the attack Naruto managed to defeat two of their opponents but by the time the third - the young woman that was caught - attacked they were both tired and almost out of chakra. They both fought but they,” he trailed off when Moegi began sobbing.
“No,” Konohamaru whispered. “Stupid rainbows,” he muttered causing Iruka to look at him oddly. Konohamaru ignored the look and continued glaring at the ground.
“Your parents all learned last night but it won't be announced to the village until some time tomorrow. Until then please only speak of this with your parents, we can't have anyone who isn't supposed to know learn before tomorrow, understood?” he said quietly. Konohamaru and Udon nodded vaguely and he thought he heard Moegi mumble “yes” between sobs. He nodded back before standing and placing a hand on Konohamaru and Udon's shoulders, “I'll take the…” he said when a knock interrupted him. “Come in,” he said cautiously.
“I'm sorry Iruka-san,” said another teacher as he slowly opened the door. “Shizune-san stopped by she asked me to tell you that Konohamaru, Moegi, and Udon's parents are waiting for them outside. I'm not sure why…” he added trailing off.
“Thank you,” Iruka said; he quickly ushered his three students to their waiting parents.
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
“Kazekage-sama,” Baki said as he knocked on the newly appointed Kazekage's door.
“Come in Baki,” the Kazekage responded not bothering to look up from his paperwork. He didn't know how his predecessor had done it all, but at least Gaara and his siblings weren't causing trouble any more.
“Kazekage-sama, a team from leaf has arrived and are requesting an audience with you,” Baki said entering the room. The Kazekage looked at him in confusion so Baki continued, “They say they have news about the Genin we have been helping them search for and would like to deliver it along with news from their Hokage.”
The Kazekage stood up and motioned for Baki to retrieve them. A moment later the team of four entered the room and Aoba walked forward to give the Kazekage Tsunade's scroll. “That scroll contains the information we knew as of the day we left,” Raido said.
The Kazekage glanced at him and then back down at the scroll. He opened the scroll and read through it as quickly as he could making sure he didn't miss any information. “The Uchiha switched sides again?” he asked.
Raido nodded, “Yes Kazekage-sama, we saw it with our own eyes.”
“Thank you. I will pull the teams off their search. I am sorry for the loss; I understand how important those three must have been, especially to your Hokage.”
“Thank you,” Genma said bowing slightly.
“Please tell Tsunade that whatever actions she decides to take against Sound Sand will support,” he said.
“We will relay your message. Actions may have already been decided so another team may be on their way already, if not one will be sent soon,” Aoba said bowing again. The Kazekage nodded as Baki escorted the team out.
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
“Shijimi-sama” a servant said walking up to the Daimyou of Fire Country, “the Hokage of Konoha has sent a delegation. They have requested that you give them a bit of your time to discuss several issues from their Hokage.”
The Daimyou glanced at his wife. She looked back and nodded while still petting her cat, Tora. “Tell them I will see them now,” he responded. His servant walked out only to reappear a minute later with four shinobi.
“What word does the Hokage send?” Lord Shijimi asked looking at the shinobi curiously.
“Lord Shijimi,” Shizune said, “Allow me to apologize for intruding upon you so late at night as well as thank you for meeting with us.” She then walked forward and handed a scroll to his servant who then took it over to his master.
The Daimyou read it through once before furrowing his eyebrows and reading it again. “They were Genin?” he asked. Shizune nodded sadly. His wife looked at him oddly and he glanced up at Shizune who nodded, “Tsunade will be announcing it to the village as soon as you respond but she will not mind if your family and staff are told.” The Fire Lord nodded and looked over at his wife. “Three Genin were killed by Sound Nin,” he said.
“Who?” Madame Shijimi asked looking at the group curiously.
Shizune glanced at the Daimyou for permission - it was always best to pay the lords as much respect as they expected - “Uchiha Sasuke, Uzumaki Naruto, and Haruno Sakura,” Shizune responded after Lord Shijimi had nodded in ascent.
“I recognize the first name,” she muttered vaguely, “The other two sound familiar as well.”
“Naruto and Sakura were Sasuke's teammates,” Shizune replied.
“Why attack three Genin?” the Lady asked.
“I believe you know the Uchiha's story,” Shizune said. When she received a nod she continued, “He refused to harm his teammates and so attacked the Sound Nins he was with. Naruto was Jiraiya's apprentice and Sakura was studying under Tsunade. We believe it was to rid Orochimaru and Sound of any threat they may pose in the future.”
“Oh my,” Madame Shijimi responded.
“Tell Tsunade that I agree with all the conditions she has suggested. I will send the instructions to the local lords tomorrow,” the Daimyou concluded.
“Thank you, Shijimi-sama this means a great deal to Tsunade,” Shizune said bowing. The Nins were escorted out, but surprisingly Shizune was smiling.
“Shizune-san?” one of the Nins questioned, “You seem happy.”
“Orochimaru is going to pay,” she stated not bothering to look back. “If he thought that establishing a village allowed him to do anything he wanted against Konoha he's going to learn just how wrong he was.
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
Rin knocked lightly on the door and waited patiently for someone to answer. While she waited she looked out over the small village in falling darkness; Anraku was even smaller than Yasumido. When she had returned home she had found a note from Mitsutori stating that she had had to return home and that Rishito would be there with her. Although this would mean she would only have to say the news once she still didn't like doing so in this household. She hated coming here; ever since her visit to the household she hated coming back. This time was even worse considering the news she had to bring.
She was brought out of her thoughts when a rather confused Mitsutori opened the door; her eyes widened in shock when she realized who was standing on the door step. “Rin,” Mitsutori said pulling her inside. “What do you think you're doing?” she whispered when they got inside, “You didn't change your appearance.”
“I need to speak with you and Senma,” Rin responded ignoring the inquisitive glance one of Mitsutori's cousins sent her.
“Should I get Rishito as well?” Mitsutori asked.
“No, I'll get him when I'm done. I need to speak with both of you now,” Rin said sternly.
“Of course, wait here,” Mitsutori said ushering Rin into one of the side rooms. Several minutes passed before Mitsutori returned with an elderly woman.
“Rin-chan, so nice of you to visit again,” the elderly woman said with a smile.
Rin took a deep breath to compose herself before she motioned for the two to sit. “I wish I was here to visit Senma,” she said causing the other two to look at her oddly. “Tsunade will most likely being going public with this information within the next few days; however, I felt it would be best if the two of you at least hear it from me,” she started.
“Two and a half months ago Naruto and his teammate were attacked by Sound Nins. It wasn't until several days ago that the conclusion of the fight came to light,” Rin explained. “Both Naruto and his teammates, Sakura and Sasuke, are known to be dead; I'm sorry,” she said trailing off looking at Senma sadly.
“Oh Kami,” Mitsutori said as she fought to stop the tears that began to fall.
“Tsunade is planning to hold a memorial for the three in about two weeks. I'd like both of you to accompany me,” Rin said trying to keep her voice steady.
“Won't that raise suspicions?” Mitsutori asked.
“I don't think it matters anymore,” Rin answered honestly, “even if someone figures it out it won't change things.”
“We'll come,” Senma responded looking at Rin sternly.
Rin nodded once, “We should leave in about a week and a half,” she said.
“Of course, we'll be ready,” Mitsutori responded.
Rin rose to go before turning back and asking, “Are you going to tell the others?”
“I will tell them after the memorial,” Senma said. Rin nodded walked out to retrieve Rishito leaving the other two behind in their grief. She hated bringing bad news she thought as she saw various relatives of the two, especially to this family.
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
The next morning Tsunade awoke with a splitting headache and a bad mood. When she reached her office it only got worse. The team had returned from speaking with Lord Shijimi; luckily he had approved of all the actions they had recommended. Unfortunately this meant that she could go ahead and spread word to the village; she was not looking forward to this.
“Shizune,” Tsunade said poking her head into the hallway outside her office. Shizune glanced up from her conversation with Tsunade's aids. “I need to you to spread word that I'm calling a meeting for all Shinobi of leaf Genin and up. It will start at eight tonight and all shinobi not on duty or a mission at that time must be there. We'll hold it on the Academy training grounds to deal with the numbers,” she said. Shizune nodded sadly already guessing what the meeting would hold. When that was done Tsunade ducked back in her office to begin writing up the edict holding news of the three Gennins' deaths as well as the new ordinances to dictate conduct with Sound. After a bit of arguing with herself Tsunade finally added another page to the decree. The village wasn't going to be happy.
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
When that was finished she headed over to the academy. She stopped at the first room she came to and told the teacher to give her class busy work, there was a staff meeting. The other teachers were quickly rounded up and gathered in the staff room where Tsunade was waiting. Iruka was the last to arrive and bowed apologetically before taking a seat in the back.
“I called this meeting to discuss a decree that will be posted this afternoon as well as to inform all of you that there is a mandatory meeting for all shinobi tonight at eight. Any of you who do not have guard duty or a mission at that time are required to meet on the Academy's training field,” with that said she looked at them all seriously, “Two nights ago there was meeting that involved a number of Jounin to discuss a situation we have been dealing with for two and half months. For security reasons only four people without Jounin Rank were aware of this situation. During the meeting a captured Sound ninja was interrogated for information concerning an attack two and a half months ago. During this time the fate of the two Genin attacked was finally learned.”
The shinobi in the room looked at her in horror. None had known that there was something that serious going on. “While the decree does give some information concerning this it is mainly meant to give the end result as well as actions being taken in retaliation. I'm not going to go into to detail now because details will be shared with all shinobi tonight,” the gathered senseis nodded and Tsunade continued, “Haruno Sakura, Uzumaki Naruto, and Uchiha Sasuke were killed by the Sound Four. As I said more information will be given tonight however I would like you all to speak with your classes. I believe that if they are not told this by responsible shinobi who understand the risks every ninja takes that they may develop the wrong idea of what happened to the three,” she paused and pulled out a copy of the decree, “this will give you the information you need to go over them with.”
She gave the shinobi a final look before exiting the room. The moment she disappeared the various senseis began going over the decree. “I don't believe this,” one sensei muttered, “we're expected to go into our classrooms and tell those students that a demon and a traitor are heroes who died like honorable shinobi.”
Iruka looked up from where he had been sitting and those nearest to him edged away from the angry shinobi. “What did you just say?” he asked looking at the man who had spoken.
“How are we supposed to tell those kids that two of the worst examples of shinobi are being considered honorable?” he repeated apparently not recognizing the danger.
“They died trying to protect those they cared for, what better example is there for these students? It is just as important to show them that shinobi are not honor less tools,” Iruka claimed.
“But these two… it's insane,” the teacher finally responded along with a good number of teachers nodding in agreement.
“Then I'd like to see you tell that to Tsunade,” Iruka retorted, the other teachers paled slightly. “If any of you cannot face your classes and do as Tsunade asks then leave and I'll speak with them; otherwise do as you're told Tsunade isn't without reason here,” Iruka added sitting back down. Several of the senseis did walk out; including the one he had been speaking with. He watched silently as they passed through the door before turning to the others. “When you speak with your students is up to you but please do so by the end of the day. I'll speak with my class and then speak with the others,” he said before walking out.
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
“Hatake-san, Hatake-san!” a young woman shouted running up to Kakashi where he was standing outside his apartment building. After the meeting with Tsunade that morning his friend had retreated into the dark recesses of his apartment; he had chosen to stay outside. This way he could watch everyone when they read the notices as they were posted, which is exactly what he had been doing since the messengers had posted a notice nearby half an hour ago.
Kakashi glanced up surprised to hear someone approaching him. So far everyone that had seen him had skirted around him in fear. Of course when he recognized the girl as Ayame from the Ichiraku he wasn't quite as surprised. “Tell me it isn't true,” she panted as she stopped by him. “I know we haven't seen Naruto-kun lately but he was gone for a while before he came in with you. He can't be gone,” she panted.
Kakashi looked at her sadly before sighing, “I'm sorry,” he finally said. “We've been waiting two and half months for confirmation and two nights ago we got more than enough,” he added seeing her crestfallen face.
“I don't know what dad's going to do,” she whispered turning away. “Sometimes I think he lived just to see that kid smile when he was served politely and treated with respect. He loved hearing him talk about becoming Hokage, how one day he would declare Ramen the National dish,” Kakashi vaguely heard her mumble. He wished Naruto had realized just how much some people cared for him, how much they had believed in him.
He remained lost in his own thoughts for some time before a shout caught his attention. “What do you mean bastard? Answer me,” he heard someone say. He turned to find Konohamaru yelling at another boy about his age.
“You heard me already,” the other boy shouted back, “My parents say it's a good thing he's dead. They say he should have died a long time ago he was a monster and it's his fault those other two are dead.”
“Naruto nii-san wasn't a monster,” Konohamaru shouted back. “Now take back what you said or I'll pummel you,” Sandaime's grandson growled out. A moment later when Konohamaru realized that the growl wasn't coming from him he glanced down to find a small white dog standing in front of him defensively and growling along with him at the other boy. He vaguely recognized the dog as the one who had been with that boy, one of Naruto's friends, the day they had spoken at the academy.
“Get away you stupid mutt,” the other boy shouted kicking out at Akamaru. When the dog continued growling and took a step forward the other boy's eyes widened and he stepped back only to be stopped by the tall boy standing behind him.
“Is there a problem Konohamaru,” Neji asked placing a hand on the shoulder of the young boy in front of him and glancing over to Konohamaru.
Konohamaru looked shocked before responding quietly, “He called nii-san a monster.”
Neji looked down at the boy in front of him seriously. When he glanced back up he nodded to Kiba and Shikamaru who had been hanging back several feet behind Konohamaru. “Yo, Konohamaru I hope someone spoke to you before these things went up,” Shikamaru said walking up to stand next to Konohamaru.
The young student looked up at the boy next to him before nodding. “Iruka-sensei told us yesterday,” he responded.
“Where are your friends at now?” Kiba asked.
“At home, we got out early because Iruka-sensei needed to fill in for some other teacher or something,” the young boy replied.
“Good,” Shikamaru responded before turning to the other boy who was beginning to look a bit afraid. “Now what were you saying?” Shikamaru asked innocently.
“I said,” the boy began gaining some confidence, “that the one who died deserved what he got; my parents say it's his fault we lost the Uchiha and the Hokage's apprentice.”
Shikamaru nodded for a moment shocking Konohamaru. “Well,” Shikamaru began kneeling down conspiratorially, “what if I were to tell you that Naruto, because that's his name, died trying to protect his friends.” The boy shifted a bit uncomfortably and Konohamaru looked at the older boys' curiously. “Uchiha Sasuke, the boy your parents apparently held highly, abandoned this village, but I won't say anything against him because in the end he died trying to save his comrades,” Shikamaru continued.
The boy looked at him and tried to shrink away only to be stopped by Neji. “Now apologize to Konohamaru,” Kiba said loudly.
“What for?” the boy shouted angrily.
“For insulting someone he cares for. For insulting a hero who gave his life for this village,” Neji said from behind him.
The boy glared at the older three and then at Konohamaru, “Sorry for insulting a demon,” he sneered. His eyes widened when Neji's grip tightened slightly on his shoulder. “I mean sorry for insulting…” he trailed off trying to remember the boy's name.
“You can call him Uzumaki-san, you didn't know him well enough to use a familiar term,” Neji replied.
“Right, sorry for insulting Uzumaki-san,” the boy said. The minute Neji released his shoulder he took off down the street.
“You guys are gonna get in trouble for that, he'll tell his parents and it'll get to his grandmother,” Konohamaru replied shuffling his feet.
“Who is his grandmother?” Neji asked.
“Utatane Koharu, she's one of the elders,” Konohamaru said guiltily looking at them.
Kiba grinned down at him. “Damn kid you're almost as good at picking fights as Naruto was,” he said. Konohamaru grinned a little and scratched the back of his nervously. “Eh, don't worry about it. I hear Tsunade's up to something and it probably has something to do with shutting up idiots like him,” Kiba said after a moment. Konohamaru nodded and walked away.
“It's just going to get worse,” the cloaked man said walking up next to Kakashi.
“So you were watching?” Kakashi asked.
“They were yelling; it caught my attention,” he responded.
“Oi, Kakashi-san,” Kiba said walking over as Neji and Shikamaru walked over, “Why didn't you help Konohamaru?”
“You beat me to it,” Kakashi responded honestly.
“Is it going to be like that from everyone?” Neji asked.
Kakashi studied the three for a moment before finally answering. “Not everyone, most of the Jounin that were there when we learned of it have had a change of heart so you won't hear most of them insulting him. It'll probably be worst from the younger kids like you just saw and other adults. I'd say there's a group starting around Neji's age and going up four five years that won't say anything. They're young enough not to have known from the start, but too old to have been significantly influenced against Naruto,” Kakashi answered.
“What about that thing with Sasuke?” Kiba asked.
“That'll depend on the person. Some people held the Uchiha clan very highly and they won't admit that Sasuke left willingly; I wouldn't worry too much about that it'll be fairly small group that'll actually blame Naruto for Sasuke's death,” he said in explanation.
“Hmmm….,” Shikamaru hummed. “I guess we have our work cut out for us then,” he said causing Kakashi to look at him oddly. “Well someone has to make sure no one slips up and lets out Naruto's secret before Konohamaru's ready to hear it. Plus it'd be a shame if Team 7 was remembered as anything less,” he said shocking Kakashi.
The silver haired Jounin scrutinized the three for a moment before speaking. “Don't go around threatening little kids, if you actually intend to change people's minds or at least shut them up for a while you should go to the source,” he said nonchalantly.
“What do you mean, Kakashi-san?” Neji asked.
“That kid you saw there probably hadn't even seen Naruto more than once. I don't know if you heard what he said before but his words were, `My parents say…' they're only repeating what they've overheard,” he said looking at them.
“So instead of threatening little kids we should threaten any adult we hear insulting Naruto,” Kiba said with an overly pleased grin on his face.
“If you actually want to make a point then yes,” Kakashi said. “Just think about why you didn't become friends with Naruto until you were all Genin. If it hadn't been for the Chuunin exam and the fact that your teammates were friends with his you probably never would have become friends with him because your parents didn't want you to,” he added looking at them gravely.
“What are you talking about?” Kiba growled.
“I'm not insulting anyone just explaining the situation to you. If you don't understand have Shikamaru explain it to you,” he said turning to go.
“So do we have your permission to get into fights with anyone who insults Naruto?” Shikamaru asked almost smirking.
Kakashi turned around and raised his only visible eyebrow. “I didn't say that. On the record, as a responsible Jounin,” he paused to glare at the man next to him after he let out what sounded like a snort, “As a responsible Jounin I am supposed to tell you that Shinobi of Konoha do not get into trivial scuffles especially with civilians or fellow Shinobi of Leaf,” Kakashi said looking at them intently. After a moment he sighed and looked at them honestly, “Off the record, as Naruto's sensei I'm telling you to do what you feel is necessary. Just don't kill anyone or get into to much trouble; I doubt he'd want to lose his title as Konoha's biggest trouble maker to his friends.”
This time both Shikamaru and Neji did smirk; Kiba's grin was beginning to creep out bystanders pretending not to listen in.
“And another thing,” Kakashi added before walking inside, “Never in his life did Naruto attack someone who called him demon. I can't tell you why because I don't know, but I do know that he preferred to fight the battles he could win or at least learn from. In this case I'd recommend following his lead.”
The three Rookies were left floored as Kakashi followed the cloaked man inside. “Ummm… so what should we do?” Kiba asked dumbly.
“What he said, choose our fights wisely,” Neji answered.
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
That night as the sun began to set the shinobi of Konoha made their way to the Academy training field. Many were of course speaking in hushed voices discussing reasons for such a large meeting. Tsunade waited patiently for the shinobi to assemble so that she could get this over with. She was tired and currently alcohol deprived, which made her a bit grumpy. She was also angry. She could see people celebrating in the distance and she knew exactly what they were celebrating. “Damn village,” she muttered, “can't even give the kid a break in death.”
At five minutes after eight o'clock on November 28th Tsunade began a meeting that would change Konoha's history and future. No longer would Konoha be taken advantage of. They were a power to be reckoned with and she would make sure that the other hidden villages respected them instead of plotting against them. Most importantly Orochimaru would not get away with what he had done. The man ran a village now and they would hit it just as hard as they hit him.
Tsunade - dressed in red and white with the symbol of fire on her back - stood in front of the crowds, each and every person in the crowd felt that her eyes were boring directly into theirs. This wasn't the often ditzy blond they were used to; the Tsunade who stood in front of them reminded them rather harshly just who she was. “Two and half months ago on September 9, Orochimaru sent the Sound Four along with Uchiha Sasuke to Konoha. As far as we are aware the order they were given was to kill Uzumaki Naruto and Haruno Sakura; on the way here Uchiha Sasuke rebelled and was killed taking one of the four with him,” she said watching the group for their reactions. She pleasantly noted that very few had the arrogance to look pleased.
“During the ensuing fight Uzumaki Naruto was able to kill two more of the Sound Four. Unfortunately by the end of those fights both he and Haruno Sakura were low on chakra and were overcome by the last member of the Sound Four. That shinobi is currently in our custody and once the interrogators are confident that they have finished with her,” she said with slightly cruel glint in her eyes, “she will be put to death.”
“However, this meeting is not about that, at least not entirely,” she said looking at the group gravely. “One of the things I called you here to discuss is the actions we will be taking against Sound for their unwarranted attack on two Genin. As I am sure many of you have read on the notices posted around the village several decrees have been passed, and will be sent to the other established Hidden Villages, designed to penalize Sound economically, politically, and militarily,” she stated once again pausing to allow what she said to sink in.
“The first is a requested boycott of Sound. This measure has already been approved by Lord Shijimi and will be placed in affect as of tomorrow morning at dawn. All trade with Sound territory is to be halted both importing and exporting,” Tsunade explained.
“Secondly, it is highly recommended that no citizen of Konoha or fire country travel through Sound territory or the territory of Sound's allies. This was enacted for our citizens' protection; however, it applies to shinobi as well. No mission will be undertaken if it will require our shinobi to travel through Sound territory.
“Thirdly, when I send my request to the other countries it will include a request to place the village of Sound on probation from all inter-village examinations and treaties for the next three to four years. If they agree the village of Sound will be unable to participate in events such as the Chuunin Exam where villages are able to showcase their power to a wider audience; this action would cripple Sound by keeping them out of sight from the larger and wealthier clients,” Tsunade looked at the group expectantly.
“If this is done we will take advantage of the situation. I expect all of you to work very hard over the next three years in order to fortify Konoha's reputation and clientele. If we work hard enough we can solidify our place among our clients before Orochimaru has a chance to establish a reputation for the village of Sound.
“Finally, and most importantly for all of you, if any Sound Nin is found on Fire Country territory they are to be immediately apprehended. Circumstances DO NOT matter. Whether they are with clients, on scouting missions, or just lost, both shinobi of Konoha as well as police forces throughout the country are being given this order effective immediately. They are to be brought to Konoha for interrogation, when our interrogators are finished they will either be held here in prison or escorted back to the border between our countries. Your orders include permission to injure and kill if the Sound Nins you encounter resist in any way. If those Nins are with clients or on a mission they are to come to Konoha first. If we choose to we will complete the mission for them,” she finished looking at the group.
Murmurs flew through the group of shinobi as Tsunade stood and watched. She scanned crowd looking for familiar faces. She quickly found the various Rookies all standing with their senseis. Iruka and Anko were standing with Ebisu and Ibiki. To her left Kakashi and the cloaked man stood near Jiraiya and the elders.
“Tsunade-sama,” a Jounin in the crowd said. “About the last bit…”
Tsunade scanned the crowds and noticed that many of the older shinobi looked up interestedly.
“We have several more things to cover,” Tsunade said taking a deep breath. If Naruto were here the boy would kill for what she was about to do the least she could do was not say his name. “Thirteen years ago when the Kyuubi attacked Konoha, Yondaime didn't kill it,” she began catching many people off guard. Murmurs shot through the crowd once more as many tried to decide what was going on. “Yondaime sealed the Kyuubi inside a human host; for the safety of the village I will not be revealing the identity of the host but the background is necessary for all of you to hear.
“A few years later Sandaime became aware of an organization by the name of Akatsuki. Though the threat they posed to Konoha did not become obvious until several years ago he began to take precautions to guard the village against them. Five years ago he managed to insert a spy into the ranks of the Akatsuki. We have recently learned that the Akatsuki has been split. Several of its members have left the organization and those that remained have reorganized their goals, because of this Konoha is no longer threatened and I have recalled our spy.
“It is unfortunate that we must welcome him back during this time after such a tragedy,” Tsunade vaguely noticed Kakashi lean over to say something to the man next to him and receive a shake of the head in return. “I apologize,” she said looking over at him. The man nodded slightly before shrugging his hood off. “No apologies are necessary, Orochimaru is the one who is responsible,” he replied.
By this time the gathered Shinobi had finally realized who was in front of them. “Kakashi knew didn't he,” Kurenai whispered to the other two senseis standing nearby.
“He must have and by the looks of it Anko either knew already or figured it out recently,” Asuma responded.
“Who is he? He looks familiar,” Ino said.
The three senseis looked at her and then scanned their students. “Uchiha Itachi,” Gai finally said looking back up front to the young man standing near the Hokage.
Agent's Spiel: (1) I'm not actually sure if that's his name. I checked chapter 9 and found Madame Shijimi, since you normally affix a last name with the title Madame (at least in western culture) I'm using that for the name of the Fire country lord as well. If it isn't it doesn't really matter because it works.
Also I know it would take them several days to reach Sand but I just wanted all the reactions to be together. The events that take place in Sand actually take place three to four days after the messengers leave and NOT before the announcements are put up, just wanted to make that clear.
Along with that Gaara is not Kazekage, at least not yet.
Rin's visit takes place about the same time as Shizune's meeting with Shijimi (the day after Gazan is brought to Konoha).
I realize that during the meeting at the end Tsunade is a bit out of character. She's trying to be impressive to make an impact; I guess you could say she's grandstanding. I just don't want a lot of people to complain about her being ooc.