Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ After the Dream ❯ Brothers in Arms ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~b~ normal story
~B~ flash backs
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto.
Brothers In Arms
“Kakashi?” Rin said questioningly as she approached her teammate. “Itachi mentioned you were still up here; we should head down,” she added placing a hand on his shoulder. Kakashi continued staring out at the village from his spot on Hokage Mountain as if he hadn't heard her. “Have you told sensei yet?” she asked delicately.
Kakashi sighed and stood up. “No I was waiting for you. You're late by the way,” he said turning around.
“Senma fell ill,” Rin responded.
“And that delayed you?” Kakashi asked.
“No, I just thought you would like to know,” she answered causing Kakashi to shake his head in amusement.
“Come on,” Rin said holding out her hand, “we still have an hour and a half before the ceremony; let's go tell them.” Kakashi nodded and followed as they descended the mountain. “By the way,” Rin said pulling out a folded bundle from her jacket, “Senma sent this for you.”
Kakashi sluggishly reached out and took the bundle from her before unfolding it. He glanced at Rin from the corner of his eye to confirm his suspicion; the coat he was holding was identical the one his teammate was wearing… and nearly identical to the one their sensei had been known for.
“How bad was it?” Rin finally asked.
“What?” Kakashi said tearing his eyes away from the jacket.
“When Tsunade made the announcement,” Rin said clarifying her question.
Kakashi sighed and glanced at Rin cautiously. “The first night people were actually celebrating but after that they calmed down rather quickly. I think it might have had something to do with Rookies reaction to everything. Not to mention that they were honestly upset about losing Sakura and Sasuke, even if it was for the wrong reason,” he said putting the jacket on over his funeral garb.
“Devils definitely devils,” Rin stated. Kakashi glanced at her sadly but couldn't disagree.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
The two walked up to the Memorial Stone while ignoring the wondering glances of the few people who had gathered already. Kakashi placed a hand on the stone and scrolled down without looking till he found the first name on his mental list. Rin watched in silence as his hand brushed over Obito's name and she had to fight off the memories that attempted to flood her mind. When his fingers moved lower across their sensei's name she wasn't quite so successful.
There isn't any other way. Hopefully the village will see him as a hero.”
“Why did they have to prove him wrong?” she asked quietly.
“You already answered your own question,” Kakashi replied turning away from the Memorial Stone and up to face Hokage Mountain. He barely heard Rin whisper, “I'm sorry. We failed you, both of you.”
Kakashi closed his eye and took a deep breath. “We should go; Itachi looks uncomfortable over there,” he finally said breaking the silence. Rin nodded and turned to follow him.
“Why are they holding it here?” Itachi asked referring to the Memorial's location.
“This was where they passed the bell test; it became our training ground. I guess they felt it held more significance that way,” Kakashi replied glancing around.
“They held Obito's funeral here,” Rin replied glancing around with glassy eyes. Itachi noticed Kakashi's form stiffen but chose not to comment; even he could remember what the two had gone through after their teammate's death.
“Where's Rishito?” Itachi asked glancing around.
“With Mitsutori, they'll be here soon,” Rin answered looking out over the field as people began to gather. She caught sight of Anko looking at the three but turned away; the psychotic girl wasn't someone she could deal with at the moment.
Ten minutes later more people began filtering onto the field as the time of the Memorial drew closer. The majority of the attendees were shinobi, but Kakashi recognized a number of civilians interspersed with the group. He nodded once to Mitsutori and Rishito, but he noticed that they appeared to be hanging back. He realized why when he turned around to find Tsunade and Jiraiya approaching.
“We'll begin shortly,” Tsunade said glancing at Rin from the corner of her eye. She took in the group that had gathered and studied the faces of many. “There are more civilians than I expected,” she said softly before turning and nodding to Jiraiya and the others. They fell back with the rest of the group, and Tsunade moved up to stand near the three wooden posts in the field. As she stood in front of the group they began quieting down and falling into more orderly rows, understanding that the service would begin shortly.
After several minutes, Tsunade cleared her throat and began. “I realize that this is a bit unorthodox, but today's situation is unique in its own right. Three months ago we lost three of our own; Uzumaki Naruto, Uchiha Sasuke, and Haruno Sakura were killed by the Sound 4. Despite past incidents and personal troubles, all three fought to protect those they cared for showing that Shinobi are truly strongest when protecting those they care for. Today we came here to finally say goodbye,” she said before turning around.
Tsunade took a deep breath and gazed at the three posts. On the top of the middle one sat a picture of Naruto; the one to the left held Sasuke's picture; and Sakura's picture was to the right. She glanced down at the three objects in her hands before finally walking forward.
It was surprising how much like their forehead protectors each of the three had been. In front of Sasuke's photo she set down a scratched forehead protector. The boy had had such a harsh past filled with violence it was amazing he hadn't cracked sooner.
The forehead protector that she placed in front of Naruto's photo was worn and old. She had spoken with Iruka not long after they learned of his death and had discovered why. Naruto hadn't received a new forehead protector; the day after the fiasco with Mizuki - she still couldn't understand how it had happened - Iruka had offered Naruto a new one but he had refused saying he liked Iruka's better. The sensei had been so amused - and honored - that he had allowed Naruto to keep his.
If she hadn't known better she wouldn't have seen the connection, but after what Gazan had revealed… Naruto was worn. The boy had been through so much in Konoha; it was like wearing the worn forehead protector was his way of showing people that he hadn't escaped unscathed. That inside he was wearing thin.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Tsunade watched, from a spot about a hundred feet away, as the young blond in front of her continued to work relentlessly. It had only been two days since they had made their bet, and the boy had yet to truly rest. She was shocked to see the level of dedication this child had and couldn't even begin to comprehend the reasoning behind it. Why did he care so much about proving her wrong? Why did his dream mean so much to him? Why had it meant so much to them?
Konoha was simply a village, a place on a map. She had nothing left there to protect, yet this child had so little there as well and he was willing to fight for it; in fact he wanted nothing more than to do just that: to serve the village as its leader. She knew his life could not have been easy there with no family and most likely very few friends. She had recognized the name immediately and was shocked at how the child had grown up.
How could the Kyuubi's host, the bane of Konoha's existence, fight for the village when she, one of the three Sannin, could not? How could a young boy be more willing to fight for a village he had almost know no true connection to when she the granddaughter of its founder was not?
She had known the last of the Uzumaki's before the clan died out during the wars; this boy was not an Uzumaki. He didn't possess the bloodline limit of an Uzumaki. He didn't possess the appearance, the grace, or the skill of an Uzumaki. Yet here he was fighting to prove himself to someone he had just met two days before. Fighting to confirm his dream as if losing meant he had failed somehow.
She couldn't understand the boy, and she hated it. When she had first seen him with Jiraiya she thought he was an annoying, stupid brat. She had been right of course, but now he was an annoying, stupid brat with determination and hope that few others could rival. Unfortunately two of those others had been her brother and lover, which left her in an annoyingly nostalgic mood; a mood that had been made worse by the visit she had received from Orochimaru the afternoon before meeting with the blond.
Of course she had probably made the blonde's attitude worse by insulting him. Plus he had seemed fairly shocked when she mentioned the Rasengan's connection to Yondaime. If she had to guess she'd say the boy was currently living in Yondaime's shadow. If he did in fact know about the Kyuubi, which seemed likely at the moment, then he knew how it had gotten there. That meant he was probably very confused about the entire situation because it was unlikely that anyone had taken the time to explain it to him.
If she understood correctly and the kid really did want to become Hokage, and if that dream had been conceived before he learned of the Kyuubi, then he had probably idolized Yondaime. After all most kids did, so it made sense. That could mean that the brat was torn between hating and idolizing Yondaime even more. If so, he'd probably work even harder torn between wanting to become a good Hokage to make the man proud, and becoming a powerful shinobi and good Hokage to show Yondaime up. Either way, it would be fun to watch as he continued to grow she decided as she turned away.
Five days later, she watched as the boy held the same determination in his eyes and faced off against a shinobi who was a good deal stronger than him. She watched as he won their bet and managed to tame her cursed necklace.
Just a few weeks later, she watched as he was brought back to Konoha beaten, bruised, and betrayed by his best friend - a scene she was all too familiar with.
Over the next several months, she watched him attempt to recover and return to the “happy” life he had been living.
Then she watched the necklace claim its third victim.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Sakura's immaculate forehead protector joined her equally perfect picture. She had obviously spent a great deal of time polishing it, but Sakura's forehead protector had merely been an ornament. The girl was very similar to it. She bore the title of shinobi, but for many years she hadn't truly been one. She had been an ornament, the third member of a team, but she hadn't been the tool she was supposed to be. Luckily the girl had worked hard to change that and had managed to do so without giving up her emotions.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
“Tsunade-sama,” Sakura asked pausing from her work. The Hokage glanced up at her apprentice questioningly, even Shizune was wondering why the girl had stopped. “What if he doesn't get better?” the pink haired Gennin asked shocking them both.
“Who?” Tsunade asked in confusion.
“Naruto, what if he doesn't recover from whatever happened? What if he … what if he …” she trailed off not knowing how or what to ask anymore.
Tsunade looked at the girl softly and walked over showing a rare glimpse of her more affectionate side. “Naruto has been through a lot in the past several months, more than you can understand at this time. He's had a lot thrust on his shoulders. It's going to take him a bit to adjust, but you don't have anything to worry about. That brat is so stubborn that he wouldn't give up if his life depended on it. He'll make it through this, even if he doesn't go back to the smiling and bouncy runt we're all used to; he'll still come back. He'll still be there for you,” she said soothing some of Sakura's fears.
“When?” Sakura asked desperately. “He's been ignoring us for two months and don't pretend you're not worried; you have Jounin practically babysitting him whenever he isn't with Jiraiya or in his apartment. Something's wrong…” she added pitifully.
“There's a lot about Naruto that none of us know, Sakura. He's an orphan and I don't know much about his childhood. Loneliness can make a person so strong it isn't believable. He's been alone for a long time, but he won't give his friends up now that he has them. Naruto isn't alone anymore. He has friends like you and the other rookies, he has three little runts who adore him like an older sibling, and he has adults that for the first time believe him when he says that he'll become Hokage. He won't give that up Sakura; he won't let those people down, but it will take time and we have to be patient with him…to an extent,” she finished looking at the girl.
“How long is `to an extent'?” Sakura asked looking up.
“Give him until his birthday,” Tsunade responded. “We'll force him to socialize then,” she said winking at Sakura. Luckily the Hokage didn't notice the guilty look on Sakura's face before she was called out of the room for a meeting.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
When Tsunade was finished, she stepped back next to Jiraiya and glanced at him from the corner of her eye. The white haired man was holding three odd scrolls, and she had no clue what he was up to.
Jiraiya took a deep breath to calm down before walking up in front of the poles. He could still remember the day Naruto had told him he had gotten tied up during the bell test; he never would have lived it down if the blond had discovered that he had as well. He took the red and black scroll from the three and leaned down to place it in front of Sasuke's post. Jiraiya had never liked the Uchiha brat, but somehow he couldn't hate him now. Naruto's face when he had been told Sasuke didn't think any less of him probably had something to do with it.
He glanced down at the green and pink scroll and then set it down near Sakura's post. He hadn't liked the girl at first either, probably because she had so strongly reminded him of Tsunade. Of course, when Naruto had started acting like an insensitive prick after her parents died, he actually liked her more than his own student.
Jiraiya sighed and turned back to the middle post. He hated the picture they had used for Naruto; he wasn't used to seeing the blond smile after seeing him frown for so long. He glanced down at the blue and red scroll in his hand; the kid would have liked it if he had seen it. Now it wouldn't be read. None of them would.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Jiraiya watched as the blond brat in front of him continued to train. He had been working for days trying to perfect this move, and quite frankly Jiraiya thought he was trying to kill himself. As far as he could see, there was nothing wrong with how it was being performed already, but the brat swore he could make it stronger. How he could make it stronger when it already ripped rocks apart Jiraiya still hadn't discovered.
He sighed and turned to his notes; the next edition of his book was due out soon, and he didn't want to disappoint his fans. Half an hour later, the blond made his way over and sat down in front of him looking absolutely exhausted. It didn't matter how much chakra and stamina the kid had, he still couldn't go on as long as he had without dissipating his energy.
He reached over and ruffled the blond spikes and grinned when the brat smacked his hand away. He laughed out loud when the boy scowled at him because in his eyes, those deep blue eyes, his student's emotions were displayed to the world. Right now they were saying “I'm going to act annoyed because I'm tired and I'm supposed to be annoyed, but really I grew up an orphan and I adore your attention.” The kid tended to be like that; for as long as he had known the blond, he had acted strong, acted proud. In reality he just wanted to prove that he was worthy. He had a dream, and he intended to fulfill it. It didn't matter that he goofed off almost constantly to gain attention. This kid claimed he would be Hokage, and when he said it and Jiraiya looked into his eyes he honestly believed it would happen. Those eyes showed courage, determination, and hope. This kid knew that one day that title would be his, and those who really paid attention couldn't help but believe it as well.
After resting for about an hour, the brat got back up and back to work. Jiraiya watched in amusement as the blond worked till sunset when he decided to step in and send the kid home. “You can finish that crazy jutsu tomorrow brat,” he said standing up.
“Yeah well one day I'll teach it to you and then you won't think it's crazy,” he said grinning back at Jiraiya.
“I look forward to it,” the Toad Sennin responded. “I look forward to it all,” he added as the kid walked out of sight.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
A slight murmur went through the gathered congregation when Jiraiya returned to standing next to Tsunade. Those close enough to the front watched in awe as a small frog and a small slug made their way forward; those too far in the back couldn't see anything. Katmisu bowed respectfully to each of the three posts as if each one held the spirit of the three young Gennin.
Gamakichi wasn't quite so passive. “Naruto nii-san you will be missed, and if they were your friends they will be missed as well,” the tiny frog said. He pulled out three small sticks from a side pouch and placed them on the ground near the three scrolls. A moment later after tapping each one with his front flipper the sticks grew revealing three intricately designed Tantos.
Unlike the other gifts, the Tantos were not personalized. Each was red and white with the symbols for fire and leaf engraved on the hilt. Rin nearly collapsed when she realized why they looked so familiar; she glanced around and noticed that a number of other shinobi had recognized them as well. One had been left at the altar when Yondaime had died, and no one had been able to figure out how it had gotten there.
When Gamakichi and Katmisu moved back in front of Jiraiya and Tsunade, they bowed respectfully to their summoners and then poofed away. There was no need for either to remain at the ceremony. Genma took their disappearance as his cue and stepped forward holding the traditional offering of flowers. He walked forward, regretfully gazing at the three photos. If he were to be honest, he was still expecting Kakashi to beat the shit out of him for failing Sakura and Naruto.
He had hesitated to move out of the clearing during the fight for fear of what would happen once he disappeared. In the end that had proved to be the fatal mistake. By the time their attackers had shown themselves, he was almost too injured to help the Genin. It only got worse as the fight went on. He placed the flowers down next to the other gifts on the ground before turning away from the ones he had failed.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
“So?” Genma asked walking up to the two Jounin.
“What?” Anko asked back craning her neck slightly.
Genma was left with the suspicion that if he were to turn around he would see Umino Iruka, after all they were fairly close to the Academy school yard. “How'd they fare against the Sand shinobi? I know all three Genin of your team went after them, and none of them were in the hospital,” he answered turning to Kakashi.
“They're fine,” Kakashi responded nonchalantly. Genma glared lightly at the Jounin causing Anko to chuckle.
“I've been nagging him all morning, and he wouldn't give me any more information than that,” Anko added, grinning at Genma.
“Why don't you go bother Iruka?” Kakashi asked sighing and turning to the younger Jounin.
“His class isn't outside right now,” Anko answered back innocently.
“Naruto looked pretty beat up at the funeral,” Genma said pushing his line of questioning, “But the other two both looked fine. For him to still have wounds showing…”
Kakashi rolled his eye and turned to Genma. “Naruto fought Gaara; Sasuke fought the curse seal; Sakura needs to train more,” he said causing Anko to glare at him.
“Why didn't you say so earlier?” Anko shouted at him.
“Because you were annoyingly persistent,” Kakashi said back.
“Naruto won?” Genma asked.
Kakashi nodded and was ready to drop the subject when Anko appeared under his nose glaring at him. He sighed before elaborating, “He summoned Gama Bunta and fought Gaara. By the end of the fight they were both completely exhausted of chakra, but from what Sasuke said Naruto was the clear winner.”
Genma chuckled lightly and turned away. “I hear Jiraiya's taking him away for a while. You're pissed aren't you,” he asked.
Kakashi glanced at him looking more than a bit miffed, but was cut off by Anko before he could say anything. “You know I offered to help with Sasuke, and the offer still stands,” she said seriously.
“He'll be taking you up on it,” Kakashi responded, “He should have learned to control the curse seal before the final, but Sandaime was convinced he needed to learn to master the Sharingan.”
“Sasuke should have been pulled out of the tournament,” Genma muttered gaining a confused look from Anko.
Naruto and Sasuke both should have been pulled from the tournament,” Kakashi claimed. “Out of the other Genin from Konoha even Neji is smart enough to know when to back down, but those two would have killed themselves fighting against Gaara just to prove they could,” he explained to Anko.
“Is that why your seal failed?” she asked gaining a nod from Kakashi.
“Sasuke wants power too much. The seal I placed over Orochimaru's isn't strong enough, and he proved that during his first real challenge after receiving it. If he weren't so set on going after his brother it would be easier for him to control it, but he has too much motivation,” he said.
“Kakashi,” Anko said looking at him seriously, “Your team is messed up.” Immediately after finishing she began cracking up.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Anko watched sadly as the others went before her. Her role in their lives had been small, and she wished she could have done more for them. She wished she had been able to stop Orochimaru all those years ago or at least in the forest after he had given Sasuke the curse seal. She wished she hadn't forgotten everything Sandaime had told her. That she hadn't followed Kakashi's lead when he pulled away from Naruto. That she hadn't let others' opinions sway her own so often.
They were a lot like her if she were to be honest. She had been like Sakura once: absolutely useless. Orochimaru had changed that; he had trained her and allowed her to succeed where she had failed before. She had been a lot like Sasuke as well: an avenger, betrayed by the one he trusted most. Yondaime had tried to change that; he and Sandaime had watched out for her and tried to make her understand that it wasn't her duty to stop Orochimaru. She was still a lot like Naruto had been: a playful and happy mask that covered up the years of pain; the type of pain that almost never went away. It would be years before all of her happiness was real like it had been when she was still Orochimaru's student.
When Genma stepped back in place Anko finally walked forward towards Team 7's photos. She glanced at each and simply laid a flower down like Genma had. On her way back she caught a glimpse of Rin, Kakashi, and Itachi watching her. She knew things would never go back to the way they had been. There wouldn't be anymore late nights on Hokage Mountain playing with Naruto and Sasuke. There wouldn't be anymore A-class missions together. Konoha had changed. Konoha had failed so many of its own, and things couldn't go back to the way they had been. Everything had gone down hill when they asked for the life of a child.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
“Kakashi-kun, Rin-chan,” Anko shouted running up behind the two teens. She had spent the past two hours searching for them, ever since she had learned how He died.
“What do you want?” Kakashi asked in his usual monotone voice.
If Anko wasn't feeling so sorry for them she probably would have rolled her eyes at him. “I just heard what happened. I'm sorry,” she said trying to make it sound sincere.
“Go away Anko, we're fine,” she heard Rin say without turning around. Her voice was thick with tears, but Anko knew there was little she could do for the older girl.
“I don't know if this will make it any easier or not, but hopefully it will help you. The council and elders are speaking with Sandaime right now. He'll be taking up his duties again soon-”
“We already know that,” Kakashi spat out turning to glare at Anko.
She froze at the amount of pain in his normally blank eye. “I'm sorry,” she whispered again before continuing, “They're also petitioning for the vessel. Once they have it they'll be able to execute it, and there will be no threat to the village anymore.”
Kakashi turned around fully to look at her in horror. She barely noticed Rin stiffen, and the other girl still refused to look at her. “They're what?” he growled at her.
“They want to execute the vessel to make sure the Kyuubi doesn't escape,” Anko explained, not able to comprehend the horror in Kakashi's eye. “I'm sorry you lost you're sensei, but hopefully its death will give you some closure,” she added quickly, “the majority of the village who know about are pushing for this action right now. Sandaime will have to give into their demands; I can't understand why he's trying to protect it-”
“Him,” Rin whispered.
“Eh?” was Anko's intelligent response.
“Him,” Rin repeated. “The vessel is a boy named Naruto. He's just over fourteen hours old,” she continued as she turned to face Anko.
The black haired girl's eyes widened in shock, and she tried to shuffle away when she saw the blond haired baby in Rin's arms. “Oh Kami, that's it isn't it. That's the Kyuubi,” she said staring in horror from her spot on the ground; the spot where, incidentally, she had landed when she tripped in her hurry to get away.
“No,” Kakashi said walking over to help her up, “Vessel not demon.”
“You expect me to believe there's a difference!” Anko shouted, her sensei had always told her these two were insane; she was beginning to believe him. “That thing killed your sensei. It's responsible for everything that happened to this village, and now you're protecting it. How can you dishonor his sacrifice like this?”
“The village, and anyone who harms Naruto, is the ones dishonoring his sacrifice,” Rin spat out. Anko was fairly certain that people's eyes shouldn't be able to look that cold.
“The seal used means that Naruto isn't the Kyuubi. He's just a child who had the bad fortune of being picked,” Kakashi said trying reason with the distraught Anko.
“How the hell would you two know that?” she shouted again before freezing. She glanced down to find ink and blood on her arm. “What the hell?” she said before looking up and realizing that Kakashi's hands were dotted with both substances. She glanced over at Rin and noticed that she had ink on her normally immaculate Medic uniform. The twelve year old Chuunin's eyes widened in shock as she turned to look at the child, You were there…” she gasped out.
“If you have any intelligence at all, you'll never repeat that to anyone, understood?” Kakashi stated looking down at her.
“But your sensei?” she asked numbly still staring at the child.
“Obviously made a mistake if the entire village is stupid enough to ask for the life of an innocent child,” Rin said still glaring at Anko.
“What do you mean?”
“They aren't worth his life if they refuse to recognize his sacrifice as he is,” Rin responded before turning away.
Kakashi looked at Rin for a moment before turning back to Anko. “Leave; if you're here with the same sentiments as the villagers' then leave,” he said before turning around again.
“That's enough,” a voice said, causing all three teens to turn around. Sandaime could only shake his head and wonder how these three were going to survive. Three orphans who currently had ranks and responsibilities that didn't suit their ages. He glanced at the sleeping child hoping that the baby wouldn't suffer as they had.
“The council will not get their request,” he told Rin and Kakashi causing both to breathe a sigh of relief.
“Please respect Arashi's wishes,” he said looking at Anko. “He gave his life not only for the village but for that child as well. Naruto is a citizen of Konoha no less than any other, please remember that.”
She nodded numbly watching the child in Rin's arms. As if the boy felt her eyes on him, he slowly opened them and gurgled at Rin. Anko couldn't help but stare at the bright blue eyes that stared back at the older group. “I will,” she whispered gaining a small smile from the exhausted Hokage.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Iruka watched Anko walk back in a daze before following the same routine. He should have been more prepared for this. He had known for three months now that there was little chance that they would return. He had known for two weeks that there was no chance at all. Even so this was too final. He set a flower down in front of each post before walking back to join the others.
They had been his students once. He had watched them struggle and fly through the Academy. He had helped them grow into the shinobi they had been. He had underestimated them once, and from that time on, he made it a point never to do so again. That was the only reason he had been able to hold onto hope for so long. He had believed that Naruto was capable of saving himself and Sakura. He had believed that the blond wouldn't give up or make stupid mistakes.
He had been so close to being right. Naruto had almost succeeded, but in the end their opponents had been too much. Putting up Genin against the Sound 4 almost assured losses and this time the losses had been three of his favorite students.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
“Hatake-san,” Iruka said as Kakashi walked into the mission room. The Jounin nodded once to Iruka before handing in his mission report and walking away. Team 7 had returned a week earlier after their mission to Wave Country and no one had failed to notice the strange behavior of all four members. Naruto and Sasuke were worse then ever; Kakashi was ignoring people more; and Sakura seemed to doubt herself more. Worst of all, he had yet to speak with Naruto; so he had no clue what was going on. He'd have to take Naruto out for Ramen and grill him about the mission.
Later that night, he followed through with his plan and arrived at Ichiraku's with a very excited young blond. “Iruka-sensei you're the best!” Naruto shouted as the two sat down with their first bowl of Ramen. Out of the corner of his eye Iruka could see the owner smiling and shaking his head at Naruto's antics.
As the two ate Iruka periodically glanced over at the blond. When they finished eating, Naruto sat back with a smile and turned to find Iruka watching him cautiously. “What?” he asked in confusion.
“Did anything happen on your mission to Wave Country?” he ventured. Naruto grinned up at him prepared to reassure his sensei, but over the years Iruka had learned to recognize the signs that said the blond was hiding something. “Don't lie to me,” Iruka said before Naruto could even speak.
The blond stared down at his hands, and the smile slipped off his face. After a moment of fidgeting, he finally looked up at Iruka and scratched the back of his head nervously. “Sasuke got hurt,” he stated, “and it was my fault.”
“How was it your fault?” Iruka asked as numerous scenarios ran through his head.
“We were fighting Haku and I over did it. He got hit because Haku aimed at me and I couldn't dodge,” Naruto said. Iruka sorely wanted to know who Haku was, but he didn't dare interrupt the blond since he was finally talking. “I thought he was dead, but afterwards Kakashi explained that one of his pressure points had been pressed to mimic death,” the fox container continued.
“What happened next?” Iruka said when Naruto fell silent for several minutes. He glanced up and was relieved to see that the owner and his daughter had retreated to the back room while the two were talking.
Naruto continued to gaze down at his hands, and Iruka had to strain to hear the boy when he began speaking again. “That thing Mizuki-sensei told me about. I think… I think I might have…” Naruto trailed off and refused to look up at Iruka.
After several minutes of silence, Iruka's eyes widened when he suddenly realized what Naruto had been referring to. “Naruto are you saying that you may have tapped into the Kyuubi's power?” he asked forcing Naruto to look up at him.
“I don't know. I don't remember what happened after Sasuke got hit. I know that all my cuts and bruises healed really quickly, and I looked up at Haku; I don't remember anything after that. I just remember it was like waking up all of sudden. I was at the side of the bridge, and I punched Haku, but I don't know…” Naruto said trailing off.
Iruka could only watch Naruto sadly. He honestly had no clue what to say to the boy. He had no knowledge of the seal, or how it worked. He didn't know what it meant if Naruto had tapped into the Kyuubi's power, or even if it was possible. “What did Kakashi-sensei say?” he finally asked the blond.
“Nothing,” Naruto replied gazing back down at his feet.
Iruka sighed and placed a hand on Naruto's shoulder. After several minutes, he rose a paid for the bill before leading Naruto out; he'd have to speak with Kakashi the next day.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Shizune followed Iruka's lead by walking up towards the posts. She gazed sadly at the three Gennin portrayed. She wished Naruto had still been the happy blond; Sakura the untroubled doll; and Sasuke the cold friend. She wished they hadn't lost sight of each other and their goals. She wished they hadn't been forced into situations that they hadn't been ready for. She wished they hadn't been hunted both by physical threats and their own pasts.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
“Sakura, don't you think that's enough for today?” Shizune said from her seat behind the girl. The girl had been training since early that morning and Shizune was amazed that she was still pushing herself.
“Not yet,” Sakura replied with a bit of effort.
“Sakura your improvement has been amazing, but you really shouldn't push yourself so hard,” Shizune said walking over to the girl.
“I'm fine,” Sakura replied swaying a bit.
“Stop,” Shizune said walking over and breaking the flow of chakra from Sakura's hands. The pink haired Gennin looked up at Shizune and sighed before bowing her head. “Go home and rest. You can finish this tomorrow,” she said leading the girl to the door.
“But I'm not finished yet,” Sakura said turning around to look at Shizune pleadingly.
“Sakura if you keep this up you'll hurt yourself,” Shizune said. “Now Tsunade said to stop you around three and I let you go on for two more hours; don't you think-” she was cut off when Sakura's eyes widened.
“It's five?” she asked frantically receiving a nod from Shizune. “I was supposed to meet the others ten minutes ago, I have to go thanks Shizune,” Sakura yelled running out the door leaving behind a slightly dazed Jounin.
“She's pushing herself too much,” Tsunade said walking up from the side door.
“How long were you watching?” Shizune asked turning around.
“I came in to check on you when I heard you speak to her,” Tsunade answered. “She pushes herself almost as hard as Naruto,” the Hokage continued.
“That's a bad thing, right?” Shizune said.
“Yes. Those two will kill themselves before they grow strong enough to get him back,” Tsunade said.
“They feel guilty,” Shizune said feeling the need to defend the two Gennin.
“They did everything they could, and anyone who tells them differently is an idiot,” Tsunade replied turning back around. “I'm still in a meeting, but I want to speak with you and Jiraiya when I'm finished. He should be here by then,” she added walking out of the library back into her office.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
She placed a flower by each before quickly turning to walk away. It shouldn't have been as difficult as it was proving to be.
Ibiki went next and walked up to the makeshift altars with great respect. The three Gennin in front of him had shocked him time and time again. He knew little about their pasts except what everyone knew and what Naruto had told him personally about his teammates and himself. It was still enough to know that these three had been extraordinary and were often unrecognized for what they were truly capable of.
Sasuke had only been seen as an Uchiha; he wasn't recognized as the talented Genin he had become, but as the last survivor circumstances had made him. Sakura was seen as a third of Team 7; it was only within the months after Sasuke's betrayal that she had begun to show leaf what Team 7's female member was truly made of. Naruto was the most shocking of all. His will and determination had allowed him to persevere where no others would. He had faced trouble head on, if a bit foolishly at times, but his instincts rarely led him astray.
All three had been lost before they had gained the recognition they were seeking for and Konoha would suffer due to that loss. The future was a bit less certain without those three in it. He deposited three flowers on their respective piles before turning back around passing by Ebisu as the other man walked up.
Ebisu sighed and glanced at Kakashi before turning back to the memorials in front of him. If things had been different this never would have happened. It was sad to think that one different decision could have prevented this entire situation. They wouldn't have lost Team 7. The rookies wouldn't have lost their friends. The Konohamaru Corps wouldn't have lost their leader. The village wouldn't have lost the certainty of a bright future.
It had been a mistake, and there was no other way to put it. If one promise had been kept, Team 7 wouldn't have suffered. He had made false judgments about each, but he wasn't too proud to take them back when he had been proven wrong. Those three were worth far more than they were given credit for.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
“Hokage-sama,” Ebisu said walking into Sandaime's office, “Kakashi,” he added when he noticed the silver haired Jounin standing off to the side.
“Was I right?” Sandaime asked turning to face Ebisu.
“Yes Hokage-sama, Jiraiya-sama was right where you said he would be. Naruto will be under his care for the rest of the month,” Ebisu said bowing slightly.
“Good, Kakashi-kun he'll be in good hands; I must ask that you and Sasuke remain outside of Konoha until the third exam begins,” Sandaime said turning to Kakashi.
“Hokage-sama, I believe that they would benefit-” Kakashi began before being cut off by the Hokage.
“I know you would prefer to train the two together, but for now Sasuke is our main priority. Naruto will be fine for a month under Jiraiya. Gaara is much too dangerous as he is now, and Sasuke must be prepared to face him,” Sandaime said.
“What of Sakura?” Kakashi asked.
“She'll be fine for a month. All the teams have vacation as their members prepare for the finals; she is no different,” Sandaime asked.
Kakashi remained silent for a moment, but Ebisu got the feeling that the other man was seething. He suddenly got the feeling that this wasn't the first time Kakashi had had these decisions taken out of his hands.
“What was the point of appointing me their sensei if all you intend to do is find more appropriate senseis for them?” Kakashi finally asked.
Sandaime gazed at the Jounin for a moment before sighing and turning back to face the window. “I swear that when this is over all three will be put back under your tutelage. I will not split up your team nor will I ever place them under other senseis when there are other options. However, at this moment it is imperative that both boys be prepared for whatever Sound is planning,” he finally said.
“I think we should be more concerned with the immediate personal threat to both boys in this case. The seal-” Kakashi was once more cut off by the Hokage.
“Sasuke is strong enough to resist at least for the time being. Naruto's training under Jiraiya will help him as well,” Sandaime said.
Kakashi sighed before he turned to leave without saying a word. After a moment Sandaime turned and dismissed Ebisu allowing the other man to catch up to Kakashi. “You don't agree with him do you,” Ebisu said walking up next to Kakashi.
The masked Jounin paused momentarily and glanced at Ebisu before walking on. “Sandaime forgets that he has the whole picture. He forgets that he is the only one with the whole picture. He expects Naruto and Sasuke to behave a certain way because of everything he knows of them and their individual situations, and he fails to remember that they don't understand much of their own circumstances,” Kakashi said surprising Ebisu. “He expects both to behave rationally in every situation and forgets that both would give their lives just to prove they were stronger than an opponent,” he added before turning to leave.
Ebisu could only watch in confusion as the other Jounin walked away. What weren't they being told?
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
There was far more to the situation then he could ever hope to comprehend, but that didn't mean that those who knew should remain silent.
When Ebisu walked back silently Tsunade felt the entire assembly tense as if they were anticipating something. She realized what it was when she glanced down and saw Itachi taking a deep breath before walking forward. This was the first public appearance he had made since the meeting she had called that night. Many more questions were beginning to surface now that people had settled down a bit and most of them were centered on the last Uchiha.
Itachi ignored the curious stares of the congregation easily; he had plenty of practice after all. He walked forward pausing in front of the only member of Team 7 he had never known. From what he had learned she had been mostly useless and afraid to really train. Luckily that had been changing, but it hadn't changed quickly enough. He laid a small pouch and three simple white flowers in front of her picture before walking on.
Uzumaki Naruto was one of Konoha's most underappreciated citizens. The child had lived for years dealing with the scorn and hatred of others, yet he had continued to protect them both willingly and unknowingly. The child had been continually shoved down only to stand back up. He was hunted by one of the most powerful organizations in their society and had refused to run and hide. He could still remember the smiles he had seen when the boy was younger, most likely the only time his smiles were true. He glanced down at the small ring before slipping three flower stems through it and placing it down. He only hoped that Naruto was no longer being hunted.
Itachi glanced once at his younger brother's picture before realizing that he couldn't do this. He hadn't had to attend his parents' funeral; he hadn't had to say goodbye to his family. Now he was being forced to say goodbye to the only family member he had actually cared about. After a moment he dropped the shuriken pouch and three flowers onto Sasuke pile and turned away. It was definitely too soon.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
“Nii-san,” a little ebony haired boy shouted running up behind him.
Itachi turned around to look at his younger brother questioningly. “What?” he asked causing Sasuke to blush slightly and fumble with his hands.
“Um… congratulations on your promotion nii-san,” Sasuke finally said. A sound suspiciously like laughter filtered through the window, and Itachi glanced over just in time to see his mother's eyes widen before she ducked below the window frame. “Now that you're a Chuunin you aren't going to have much time to spend with me are you?” the little boy asked looking down sullenly.
Itachi studied his younger brother silently for several minutes before kneeling down. “How about some shuriken practice?” he asked causing his brother to look up in delight.
Several hours later, two very pleased brothers made their way home from training. “Will you still have time for this when you start missions?” Sasuke asked pausing several feet behind his brother.
Itachi turned around once more to look at his brother in confusion. “Of course I will,” he finally responded. When Sasuke looked up at him doubtfully Itachi walked over to stand in front of his younger brother. “I will do my best to make sure I always have time for you,” he said. Sasuke looked a bit pacified and allowed himself to be led back home by his older brother.
That night as the two brothers sat outside after dinner their father approached. “Tousan,” Sasuke and Itachi said with a small bow.
Without sparing Sasuke a second glance their father turned to Itachi. “There is a clan meeting in an hour; now that you've achieved Chuunin rank, you are expected to attend. Be ready to leave in half an hour,” he said before turning around and walking away leaving behind to confused brothers.
After a moment Sasuke looked up at his older brother in awe. “You get to go to a meeting,” he said admiringly.
Itachi looked down at his brother in amusement. “You don't even know what is done at clan meetings,” he said wryly.
“So, it means you're an adult,” Sasuke shot back pouting because his older brother was teasing him.
“It means I get to sit around and be bored by old men who think they are more important than they really are,” Itachi replied causing Sasuke to look at him in confusion. “Don't worry about,” he finally added, “I'll tell you about it tomorrow if I can.”
Sasuke grinned up at him for several more minutes before his mother came to ruin their fun. “Time for bed, Sasuke,” she said looking down at her sons. “Itachi you'd better hurry or you'll be late,” she added before shooing Sasuke off to his room.
Later that night when Itachi finally returned home, he ignored the worried glances his mother sent his way. He knew he looked paler than normal but there was little he could do about his appearance and speaking with his mother at the moment wasn't something he could do.
After walking around for a bit, he found himself outside of his younger brother's room. He peeked inside relieved to find Sasuke sleeping soundly. He leaned on the door frame for a few minutes before turning to go. As he slid the door shut behind him he whispered, “They can ruin my life, but they won't take his.”
The next morning when Sasuke asked excitedly about the meeting Itachi's reply was, “Just old men stuff.”
To this Sasuke began laughing before responding, “You're an old man now too.”
Itachi smirked at his brother and waved for him to come closer. When Sasuke was about a foot away he raised his hand and gently flicked his brother's forehead, which quickly put a scowl on the younger boy's face. “When do you start at the Academy?” he asked.
Sasuke's scowl deepened and he responded, “Not for almost a year.”
Itachi smirked and rolled his eyes at his brother's impatience. “Yeah but when you do enter it'll be you who doesn't have time for his brother,” he responded.
Sasuke looked up at him in confusion before responding, “Why?”
“Because all the girls will be asking you out on dates and you'll be so busy with them that you won't have time for me,” Itachi responded straight faced even though he was fairly certain his mother was listening to them again.
Sasuke made a disgusted face before finally saying, “Girls are weird. I'd never spend more time with them than you.”
Itachi smirked before putting his shoes on. “I'll help you with shuriken practice after I get back,” he said before walking off.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Kakashi gazed at the pictures of his students as emotionlessly as possible. It wouldn't do for him to lose his temper in front of everyone gathered. He sighed and pulled out three oddly shaped kunai. His own sensei had given him one when he had led his first mission as a Jounin. If he had used it sooner Obito would have lived; actually, if he had done a lost of things differently Obito would have lived.
As it was he had most definitely failed both of his teams in the worst way, and it wouldn't do anyone any good if he lost it. He placed one kunai and three flowers at the foot of each post before turning and walking away to stand beside Rin.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Kakashi angrily watched the village as they celebrated the fourth anniversary of the Kyuubi's “death”. Luckily the little boy sitting quietly next to him wasn't aware that the moment he stepped near any one of them he would be shunned. He looked down when the little boy climbed onto his lap and snuggled up. The Jounin wrapped an arm around Naruto and slowly rubbed circles on his back until he felt the boy's breathing slow, and Kakashi knew he was asleep.
“I've got some bad news,” he began careful as to not actually wake the child. “My ANBU squad was selected for a mission that's going to take us out of Konoha for almost three months. When I get back they'll probably send me out again with a different squad or maybe solo. If they do start upping my missions it means I probably won't see you much anymore,” he said looking out over the village.
“Yesterday I was speaking with Sandaime, and he said they'll probably make sure I no longer have any say in decisions made concerning you,” he said looking down at the sleeping child. “If they do that don't worry too much. It might not seem like it, but there are enough of us out there that'll watch over you even if we can't be by your side every minute. Even Anko and Itachi,” he added with a smirk.
“I'm not sure what they're up to, but I heard that hag Koharu mention starting you at the academy within the next year. I don't think they liked the fact that I raised an objection,” he continued.
“If they do start you at the academy don't worry much about it. If you can hold out till Sasuke graduates then Sandaime will make sure you two are on the same team; although by then you two might hate each other if the village gets its way,” he continued.
“This is turning out to be a pretty crappy birthday isn't it,” he said finally looking down at the little boy still curled up and sleeping against his chest.
“It'd be better if Rin were here,” he continued looking back up, “but she's got her hands full right now. Rishito is almost three months old; since we're all stuck here in Konoha - not to mention that other than me and you only about ten other people know about him - she doesn't have much help,” he finished quietly.
Early that morning the teen slipped into a small one room apartment and put the little boy back in his bed. Before leaving Kakashi reached out and placed a small bundle on the pillow next to the blond hair. “Happy Birthday Naruto. If this is it for now, just remember that we're here for you,” he said before taking off out the window.
As light filtered in the through the windows, the child slowly opened his eyes blinking several times to ward off his sleepiness; he was disappointed to find himself back in his apartment without Kakashi. As he lifted his hand to rub his eyes, he felt the package resting near his head and picked it up curiously. He opened it to find a pair of goggles inside. After looking at them curiously for several minutes he slipped them on his head in a similar fashion to the shinobi's forehead protector. From that day on he continued to wear them even after the memories of the one who gave them to him faded.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Rin took a deep breath before stepping away from Kakashi and walking up to the three posts. She could feel the curious gaze of the crowd on her back but shrugged it away. She walked forward slowly and bent down placing three flowers on each pile before stepping back and clutching the unwrapped tokens from Senma just a bit tighter. “For the childhoods you lost and the future that should have been,” she whispered before taking another deep breath glancing down at the three jackets she held.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
“Well Naruto-kun I guess this is goodbye for a while,” Rin whispered to the little boy resting in her arms. “I would say don't worry but that would be unfair. Everything in this village has gone to hell, and Sandaime can't do anything about it anymore,” she said looking down at his sleeping form in her arms trying not to cry.
“I'm so sorry,” she finally said after a long lapse of silence. “We promised him we would take care of you. He knew you would be strong that nothing they did would get you down, but we were supposed to be here for you anyways,” she said as the first tears began sliding down her cheeks.
“This never should have happened especially not to you. He never should have done this to you, not for them,” she said looking down at the three year old and then up as her eyes swept the village below them.
“Just remember that he believed in you; he believed in your courage, your perseverance, and most importantly in your strength. He never would have chosen you if he hadn't felt you could handle it so I want you to make me a promise,” she said looking down at the little boy who surprised her with wide open blue eyes. She smiled slightly and held out her pinky allowing him to grab onto it and smile up at her. “I want you to promise me that you'll prove them wrong. Make them acknowledge you for who you are and not what he did to you. Grow up. Grow strong. Become Hokage, the head of ANBU, whatever…do something extraordinary and prove every single one of them wrong,” she said looking straight into his baby blue eyes.
The child looked up at her and squeezed her pinky a bit before smiling. “Kage,” he said happily causing the teen holding him to smile more even though a few tears slipped down her cheeks. Naruto looked up at her sadly before whispering, “No cry.”
“I promise that I won't cry if you won't cry,” she responded rubbing Naruto's hand reassuringly and wiping away her own tears.
“You won't be alone forever Naruto. I promise that we'll always be there for you,” she whispered as she stood up with the sleepy toddler. As she continued to watch the village below she slowly rocked the boy to sleep.
Around four in the morning, she was preparing to leave when her old teammate walked up behind her. “Have you been hiding here all night with him?” he asked reaching out to take the toddler. Rin nodded silently and handed Naruto over to Kakashi. “You leaving already?” he asked receiving a stiff nod from his teammate.
After several more minutes he finally worked up the nerve to speak again, “Anko's going to be pissed when she realizes you're gone and didn't tell her.”
Rin turned back to him and sighed. “She'll deal with it; she always does,” she said before turning back to stare out over the village. She could barely make out a few figures stumbling around on the streets below. The hospital would be busy when all the drunks were brought in that afternoon; luckily she wouldn't be there to deal with it. “Are there angels or devils crawling here?” she whispered as her gaze turned to cold glare and she walked away.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
“You know Naruto,” Rin whispered walking up to Sasuke's pile. “I used to think there was only one angel in this village, but now I'm starting to think I was wrong,” she said as she placed a jacket down. The only difference between it and the one she was wearing was the Uchiha crest on the back. She placed one with a white circle with Sakura's accumulating gifts before turning to Naruto's pile. “There were three,” she said as she laid down the final jacket, identical to the other two with the exception of the large red spiral on the back.
“May the devils learn from their mistakes and may more angels take your places,” she said before walking back to stand beside Kakashi, leaving all but a few oblivious to everything she said.
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Miles away a bird flew off his branch as a young girl shouted, “Stooop!!!”
 
Agent's Spiel: Since I suck at description I'm just going tell you down here that the jackets are replicas of the one Yondaime is often pictured wearing. Just imagine the background as black instead of white and the leaf symbol on the back instead of whatever is written on his.
Just a quick note on timeline: In this story Itachi joined ANBU just months after becoming a Chuunin so he would have been about ten when he became Chuunin, which made Sasuke about five. Sasuke entered the Academy at six. The massacre took place two years or so later when Itachi was thirteen and Sasuke was eight. It's not really clear in either the manga or anime but that's the timeline I'm using in this anyway.
Nami Mitsutori worked with Rin in the clinic in Yasumido; however, she has known Rin and Kakashi since they were younger. She is originally from a town called Anraku where she was raised by her extended family.
Nami Senma is Mitsutori's great aunt. She lives in Anraku but has had ties to Konoha for a long time (she was friends with Sandaime). She knows Rin and Kakashi because their sensei was also close to her family. She'll be more important later on.