Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Behind The Masks ❯ Illusions of Memories ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Behind the Masks
 
Chapter 2
(Illusions of memories)
 
Quiet no more
 
“AHHH!”
“I can't take this anymore. Why is this sort of thing our job?” A heavy thud resounded by the huge northern gate of Konoha followed by an annoyed retort of another Chuunin.
“Stop that! It's bad enough that were on gate duty, I wouldn't let you give yourself a concussion and escape by yourself!”
The sun is blazing on the morning heat and so far everything was peaceful. No terrorists, no invaders, no spies, no thieves and even the fucking cat is not on the loose. That would only equate to no amusing genins spending their time getting scratched all over.
They sighed.
There goes the only thing that keeps the morals up. What other damn thing can make gate duty more acceptable than watching genins that got it worst?
“Quit complaining… I'm getting tired of retorting…ugh”
“Can we really not complain to Godaime-sama? You know and give her a bottle of - Hey.”
Noticing his comrade's sudden alertness he turned his gaze upon the man who just entered. They were about to confront the person when they noticed the man walking just behind him. Taking note of the friendly wave they eased out a bit but then the person suddenly made a run towards the village. They were about to set out for a chase when the breeze blew the hood up a bit. They shared a smile and sat back down again.
“It won't be boring anytime soon, huh?”
The other just let out a low chuckle then added, “It won't be quiet either. That is if he hadn't changed.”
The man beside him simply scoffed. “Silence? From Konoha's number one hyper active and unpredictable ninja? You must be kidding. ”
“Good. Things were getting really boring.”
“I guess.”
“……”
“……”
“It's still silent.”
“I guess.”
They both shared a sigh. “Guess he finally matured, huh?”
“Don't sound too disappointed. He was trained by a sannin he must have matured; besides he was even wearing something that's no where near orange.”
“……”
.
.
.
UZUMAKI NARUTO IS BACK!!!!”
They shared a smirk.
He is back.
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.
 
A bow there, a wave here, a couple of instructions here and there and a couple of signatures there, the busty blond smirked at the look her assistant gave her- she just signed an order form of personal importance. A crate of sake. What? She was running low.
She stepped inside her office and sighed.
“I didn't know paper could reproduce this fast. Damn, they beat rabbits in heat!” Walking slowly she gazed at the village she was now assigned to protect. Her gaze travelled to the carved faces of her predecessors. One fought against a friend to obtain the position, one was assigned by his brother, the other died in the hands of his priced student and the other died for the village sacrificing his son in the process.
“And me… I'll die buried in paperwork.” The blond let out a chuckle as she sees her own face upon the Hokage Monument. Here she was looking over a village she swore she's never enter again and actually enjoying herself. It would have been better if the one at fault for her being buried in paper and instead of debt was there visiting her and grinning at her.
“I feel so old. Even wishing to dote on a grandson! Er! Next thing I know I'd be missing a certain white haired idi…ot?” A smiled crept to lips as a frog suddenly appeared before her.
“It's time?”
“What time? Hey lady, I'm hungry how about a snack? Or… I could snack at you, busty. I guess Jirai—HYAA!” Tsunade glowered down at the 2ft. toad with the slant eyes of a pervert. She rubbed the bridge of her nose as she tried to calm herself while muttering to herself, “He's a messenger and the summoning world wouldn't appreciate it if I killed a mere messenger… but he's perverted… of course he is Jiraiya's but still… Does messangers need legs? No right? No. They don't.” She was already nodding to herself as she made herself believe it'll be fine to destroy a couple of limbs when …
UZUMAKI NARUTO IS BACK!!!!!”
The frog who's been backing away while shivering suddenly spoke. “Jiraiya-sama- told-me-to-tellyou-thatthey're- comingback!” With that he was gone.
Tsunade moved towards her table and took out a sake within her secret compartment. Taking a huge swig, “Haaaa! There goes my quiet reminiscing…”
The door opened and she let herself smile.
The brat is finally back.
 
…XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX… .
 
“HWAAA!!! Watch where you throw those knuckles!”
A 20 inches wide and 30 m tall electric post now has a steady crack from one point at its base all the way to the top. Everyone backed away more afraid of the killing intent from a pink haired Kunoichi than the electric post that can now fall or crumble any moment. Ninja's from chuunin to jounin alike became weary at the girl also known as the Hokage's apprentice. Why you ask? That's because the girl didn't even use chakra. Nope it was just her knuckles and the post.
“You could hurt someone with that! Honestly…”
Piercing green eyes stared in shock at the man before her. She panicked. `O-oh. I think I just attacked someone important.' It was just now that she managed to take in the material of the cloak. Expensive. This person even uses an expensive looking jewelry as a clamp for such a material. Yup. She's nervous.
Killing intent dropped and everyone who saw sweat dropped.
“Hya! Gomenasai!!!!” S It was against her pride but it was embarrassing to say the least. “ I thought it was someone else!”
She was at the top of the Hokage tower as she rested from her training when she heard a certain someone shouting his lung out. Konoha will be quiet no more. Two and a half years ago, she lost two of her team mates in less than two days. Both left for strength. One was bound to return and the other was a traitor. She was left alone. She became ecstatic to hear that familiar voice again. The voice was a bit lower but it was still colorful. She missed him.
She came running at full speed to greet him when she caught a glimpse of black and a small amount of red. No. no more. She's no longer ignorant. She researched for two years and there is only one group of people who'd wear black cloaks with a patch of red. `So they knew he's be coming back, eh?' She only needed to do one thing. Cause a commotion.' This time I'll protect them.'
`Ah… I need to stop drinking coffee.' After the hurried apology she started to take off due to the shame when…
“Honestly, Sakura-chan I don't know If I should be glad Tsunade trained you!” The hood swayed with the wind exposing the man's face.
Green eyes stared in complete stupor. She quickly turned around and then she saw it. Blue eyes the color of the sky matted by bright blond hair. She almost cried when she saw that mischievous grin of his.
She would've tackled him but… she simply smiled and said,
“You're still as surprising as ever, Naruto.”
He took the hood down shaking his hair at the same time. He laughed a bit before putting his hands behind his head. “Of course Sakura-chan. Wouldn't want that title taken by somebody else now can I?”
“Naruto… “
His grin dropped and was replaced a reassuring smile. It was bright.
“Hm? Sakura-chan?”
She smiled as well. Relieved?
“You… YOU BAKA!!!!”
Then she hit him.
“What was that for, Sakura-chan?!!! That hurts… My poor head…”
He looked up and almost cringed. She was staring at him looking all dangerous.
“You scared me you idiot! Why are wearing something like that inside Konoha?! Black with red?!”
“Mou… sakura chan. This is a cloak with a hood and no clouds. Can't you see? It's a chrysanthemum. Other than that, it's just one red flower. Akatsuki don't have hoods and they wear those weird straw hat-thingys”
He was right of course and so she sighed.
“I guess I panicked huh, Naruto.”
“Sakura-chan…”
“Hmm? What is it?”
“Is it that time in the month again?”
“……”
“…er… Sakura-cha-OWW!”
“You tactless BAKA!!!”
Yup. Konoha is quiet no more.
 
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.
 
“drip.drip.drip.drip.drip.drip.drip.drip.drip.drip.drip.dri p.drip.drip.drip.drip.drip.drip.drip.drip.drip.”
“Ugh! Itachi, could you stop that?!”
Kisame… Is bored.
It had been hours since it started to rain and he's stuck with an emotionless, stoic and heaven forsake mute Uchiha. An Uchiha for kami's sake. Yes, he appreciates Itachi. Oh Kami know how he wonders just how the Uchiha managed to get under his thick blue skin. However, this would be one of the times his ever so long patience and ability to entertain himself snaps. Days without any enemy and his partner's mood aren't peachy either.
And Kami he knows what an upset Uchi would do to him…
A questioning glance.
A glance! If that wasn't aggravating enough he might as well drown on a puddle!
“I wasn't doing anything, Kisame.”
“That's the problem, Itachi! Days! It had been days since we last did anything as exciting as torturing missing nins, hunter nins, fisher men and bears! I even ran out of things to blab about and you're still… well… YOU!”
“Just keep impersonating dripping water Kisame.”
Kisame sighed. “You know Itachi That was supposed to bother you.”
“Hn.”
“You're advising me to keep on bothering you?”
“……”
“I'm stuck with a genius and all you can suggest is that? What happened to your good mood two and a half years ago?!?!! Get on with your alone time and come back less dark!”
“Hn.”
 
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.
 
A door creaked as years of accumulated dust raised from the floor. It had been two and a half years since the small room had any residence. The old apartment gloomily welcomed its tenant. A black cloak softly dusted the floor producing swirls of dust rising like clouds. Blond hair revealed itself as the hood was taken down and hurried footsteps entered the dingy room. Naruto quickly opened the windows trying not to inhale too much dust. He couldn't say he was glad to see this room again but yes, he was glad he's finally back.
Steady yet slightly glazed cerulean eyes stared up at the night sky noting the stars and the eerie moon that seemed to grin down at him. His eyes darted to the bedside table brows furrowing slightly. Two and a half years. For such a long time he trained hard almost to the point that he risked his life. He was no genius but he is determined… he will not fail. A trail of footsteps began to trail from the window to the small table leaving footprints on the dust…
“So it really has been that long…”
A tanned wrist appeared from under the cloak reaching for a small object that lied face down next to the old lamp. Flipping it up, the blond let out a small sigh as a bitter smile appeared on his lips. The group picture of team seven mocked him of happiness long passed. His most cherished memories of a small family disintegrated as it was divided by a traitor by blood, tears and pain. I hurt so why bring him back? `It'll hurt more.'
“I always keep my promises, Sasuke-teme. My promise regarding you is the only promise I can keep at the moment… I will not fail... no matter how it hurts…”
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.
 
A blissful smile was playing on her lips as she made her way back to her house. It had been such a long time since she felt so refreshed. She smiled as she was greeted by the people who recognized her as the Hokage's apprentice but her mind was on earlier events.
One of her teammates is back. She spent two and a half years training by herself taking missions with someone else's team or helping on the hospital. Yes, there was Ino but she has her own team and if they are there well…it's different. She occasionally meets up with Kakashi but he's a Jounin, he can be given any team and being teamed up with a weak kunoichi isn't exactly fair for his standards. He is after all an ex ANBU captain no matter how lazy or perverted he is.
Her smile widened as she remembered Kakashi and Naruto's first conversation… nope- remembering made her frown. `Those damn perverts! The first time they see each other in a long time and they talk about porn!'
While inner Sakura continued seething, on the outside the pink haired Kunoichi started chuckling. She missed her team. As her chuckling lessened she jumped on a roof and stared at the sky
“Sasuke…”
Her eyes narrowed as she remembered the promise she guiltily made Naruto promise.
“He swore to bring you back… It's a promise of a lifetime…” `I'm sorry Naruto' “I promise I'll help you bring him back… and this time, I'll protect the both of you. “
With that she bounded off to her house intent on getting a good rest for tomorrow, they'll be having another bell test. This time, she swore she'll eat something.
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.
 
The sky is painted with bright red that clashed with orange and persistent blue… the day is finally coming to an end. He was relaxing near a river staring at the waters. He would fidget every now and then and even flinch at harsh sounds. Being paranoid really isn't someone of his age be experiencing. He looked down at his hand seeing how tanned his skin looked and yet he frowned at how small his hands were. Curious blue eyes closed as he let his body fall on the grass. He's feeling a bit impatient, why?
He's late…”
`Ah… so he's late.'
A pout formed on the child's face as he forcefully pushed himself on a sitting position with a loud “Humph!” and then flopping back down on the grass again he was feeling tired and his eyes were drooping. And then, everything became dark.
After a while a blurry vision of the night sky covered the surroundings. It was already that late… a pout made its way to his face as disappointment filled his seemingly illuminated light blue eyes. He was still groggy from sleeping but when his senses finally started to kick in he smiled. He smiled that sleep induced smile as he looked up to the child whose legs were his pillow. Before he could sit back up the child above smiled and bent low their foreheads touching.
I'm back.” He whispered.
The child lifted his head back up again… they were still close their nose only a couple of inches from touching. Blue eyes opened and saw the child grinning happily at him, “Did you miss me? It was my first two week mission although it was only low c rank. I was a bit worried I won't be able to make it before you go home. Thanks for waiting.”
The cheerful grin became solemn…
It's been a while… You haven't changed one bit. I missed you, saiai.”
Waiting must have been tiring cause a yawn was all the child could say back. Darkness slowly descended again as sleep won over. Muffled chuckling were all he could hear within the darkness before his mouth started to move again…
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.
 
“I missed you too… saiai……….”
“…….?”
“…wait…WHAT?!?! What the heck?!”
.
.
“SHUT THE HELL UP BRAT!!! SOME PEOPLE ARE SLEEPING!!!!”
.
.
“Ugh… he is back…”
“ I forgot just how irritating he was…ugh…”
.
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.
 
You haven't changed much… I missed you, Saiai.”
His voice sounded strained as if speaking such words hurts… it does… it will be fine. He felt like laughing when the child under him sniffed him while squinting hard trying to see him which ended with the child scowling lightly at his inability. He missed this… it was what kept him living before. It's a wonder how he stayed sane during all these years. His smile widened when the blond started blinking… `… always sleepy….' He couldn't help it… he chuckled.
It sounded weird to his ears… it has been a while since he last heard himself like that. It has been a while since he felt…light. Bliss turned to dread when he saw the child frown. He couldn't help but fear if he had been careless. But like always, his fears never lasts whenever he's with this child… the frown turned unto a pout. It was cute… it always was.
He noticed the boy's confusion albeit not knowing the reason behind it and so, he did what he used to do to calm the child, a gentle touch upon scarred cheeks… still so soft… and warm. The confusion increased… the boy opened his eyes again as he looked up with questioning cerulean eyes… Ah, this is what made me say those words against better judgment… gentleness is unknown to this child whose presence rivals the warmth of the sun. Even though the child soon relaxed and even looked content his pain would not pass. That was when he failed to bear it anymore. He stooped down and repeated those words he once upon a time already whispered. It's just that… this time… he won't be able to see the same response… won't be able to hear the same words. And just that knowledge hurt.
 
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.
 
I missed those words…saiai...”
……
Unpredictable as ever…
He knew he should be worried… he knew he shouldn't be pleased… but he is. Those words he never thought he'd ever hear from his closest friend again… he was… glad. He saw a spark… a brilliant light within those blue eyes he adores so much… it was recognition. He should be sad… he shouldn't be glad cause as the sky hid itself again the light disappeared back to oblivion. Tomorrow, he would remember him no more. It's just that… a moment is enough. Looking down at the content smile playing on the others face he knew that it was enough. Standing up he removed his cloak. It was supposed to be a gift… he prepared it especially. A gift to a dear friend. A graduation gift… a smile graced his lips again as he covered his sleeping friend. At least I managed to pass it on… As he watched the sleeping figure he sighed. No matter how old his friend gets, no matter how tall he gets… no matter how much he might change… for someone like me whose time was set on the certain future and forever dwells on the past… this child…this boy…this person…
The way I see you will l forever be unchanged.”
Once again stooping down he placed a chaste kiss upon the others forehead.
Oyasumi… little one.”
Moving farther to the right but not so far he leaned his back upon the tree he turned his gaze once again to the other as if he'll never once again see him…
Not like this… never like this… this will most likely be the last time.
As sleep took him he softly mumbled…
You failed on one thing… saiai…”
 
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.