Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Behind The Masks ❯ A presence Most Sought ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Behind the Masks
.
Chapter 3
(a presence most sought)
.
.
“NARUTOOOO!!!!”
BANG!
“Itai.Itai.itai….. grrrr… WHO THE HELL-…ah-hahaha… Sa-kura-chan…“
If he was mad a while back… now, he's just scared shitless. Sakura's looming over him her fist still shaking. He could've sworn he saw thunder just behind her as well as little black demons circling her basking on her killing intent.
It's just that… he doesn't know what he's done to make her angry! How is he supposed to say sorry If he does not know what to apologize for?! And then it hit him… HARD. On the head.
“Sakura… quit hitting him. You wouldn't want to have an injured teammate now would you?”
The gasping blond who was cradling his pretty tenderized head looked side ways to his window. There sat his perverted teacher with his newly acquired perverted book with all his perverted glory. However, as for the moment all Naruto saw was…
“Kakashi-sensei!!! Save ME!!!!”
A savior.
Kakashi lifted his gaze to the scene before him… He missed it… The playful injuries that could kill ordinary people… Insults that could have made ordinary people cry… Shouts that would have rendered anyone normal deaf… ahh… the Sandaime must have really trusted his abilities- that or he just wanted to get back at him for failing all those others that was placed under him. Thinking back on the smirk the Sandaime gave him when he was first informed…
It was punishment.
Letting out a long exaggerated sigh he fully entered Naruto's house and approached the bed. Naruto looked on to his sensei sensing salvation but then again- As he saw the sweet smile his perverted sensei was giving him he almost cried.
`How could I forget… `
“Sakura… don't hurt him anymore, ok? Naruto… I'm disappointed in you. How could you have done such a thing to us… just when you have just arrived as well. I wasn't even late- ok fine I was an hour late…” then he mumbled… “Happy now, Sakura?” There was a chillingly sweet reply “Yes, Kakashi-sensei.” Before the Jounin continued the, oh so creepy I'm-smiling-but-I'm really-pissed-at-you-right-now speech.
Thus start his first morning back.
`Kami hates me…'
“On a serious note, this is new to you, Naruto. You actually forgot about the test that was supposed to be 3 hours ago? I didn't think you were that tired. Was there a problem?”
Yup his teachers are all weird. One moment Kakashi was being nag-y, then the next he's all serious- not to mention he's often too quiet, too absorbed in thought or too absorbed in porn! The worst is that you can't tell the difference! However at times like this he's sure, Kakashi is deep in observation. He's being scrutinized. How could he tell? The Jounin is looking at him with those narrowed eye of his and his voice has no hint of anything in it. He's in his `sensei' mode.
Kakashi stared at his student his eyes narrowing even further. He sighed. Looking back to Sakura they shared a nod. In an instant…
BAM!
“What was that FOR?! This is abusive, Kakashi-sensei, Sakura-chan!” The two just looked at him pointedly before Kakashi continued. “Could you please listen Naruto- yes, you weren't listening” Naruto was cut off from retaliating , he looked down and sighed.
“Sorry guys… really I am. I just had an uneasy night.” He tilted his head up a bit looking up at Kakashi with a slight smile on his face.
The other two simply sighed. Really. Who could stay mad with that smile? After a moment Sakura finally smiled, the little demons turning into little angels the thunder clouds disappearing. Kakashi on the other hand simply sat down at the end of the bed giggling at the book he had completely ignoring the exasperated looks his students directed at him.
“Was it a nightmare?” Sakura asked after a while. “ Maybe you're just not used to this room anymore… I read about it once you see and-“ She was cut off by Naruto before she started with her expectedly long talk that he was sure he won't understand.
“It wasn't a nightmare per say… It was just…”
He paused for a moment thinking of some way to explain it… but at the moment…
“I-I'll try to explain later, okay?”
He looked at them straight in the eyes silently conveying a promise. It was all they needed to hear. Naruto Uzumaki never breaks a promise.
Kakashi studied him a little more before nodding. “Meet me at the training field #3 in two hours. We'll resume the bell test. I'll report back to Tsunade-sama.” With that said he disappeared with a swirl of leaves.
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.
 
Tsunade is currently having a headache and she could be sure it won't be leaving anytime soon. How could such a thing have happened? Yes, lots of tragedies have had befallen leaf before. There was The Kyuubi and the fourth even Orochimaru and the Third but this…
“Jiraiya, can we really not-“
“No”
He had to cut her off. Such thoughts are futile and better not said. It was out of the question cause no matter what may happen even the Hokage can't stop such events… beside… he did promise. Like Naruto, he keeps his promises. Well at least he tries to.
As he looked at Tsunade's wearied form he just had to feel a bit guilty for telling her but for the plans to go smoothly he needed to tell her. Only her.
“Well, that is it for my oral report, Tsunade-hime. Here-“he said with smirk while handing her a rather thick collection of- paper.
“Jiraiya… what is this? You do know that added paperwork is NOWHERE near appreciated… right?”
“This would be the complete written report of our two and half years of training as well as the information I've gathered behind the scenes. Of course some of the more important info is coded. Only you can decode it. Good luck, Hokage-sama.”
Tsunade simply groaned before her head hit the table mumbling profanities and her need for more sake.
Jiraiya simply grinned at his cursing friend. She has always bee cranky in the mornings and old age never did made it any better. Now being a sannin should have made him more knowledgeable right? Well- since old age didn't seem to give him anymore wisdom when it came to courting- he voiced out his thoughts.
“Get used to it Tsunade. I swear, your horrid attitude in the mornings gotten worst since menopause. Besides that- oh-ohhh…”
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.
 
“Maa…maa…Tsunade-sama, It wouldn't be good to kill Jiraiya-sama.”
All activities stopped. There in front of the silver- haired one eyed lazy perverted jounin stood two of the most powerful people in the shinobi world. A woman seemingly in her late 20's stilled from the act of killing a mumbling 51 year old man.
Tsunade simply scoffed at him while throwing Jiraiya to the side. “You're just afraid of not being able to read the subsequent volumes of that perverted book of yours.”she said while glaring at the chuckling shinobi. Her irritation only growing from the retort the author all but shouted.
“-HEY! The next volumes ARE to be looked forward to! And it's not PERVERTED! It's a literary marvel!”
“I'm surrounded by perverts… First Sarutobi-sensei, then my teammate and now… even my shinobi! Kami even my villagers are perverted.” Imagine her utmost surprise to find out that the #1 most sought out series in Konoha was Icha Icha Paradise! And she almost flipped when she found out that it all started with their curiosity regarding a certain jounin who could `always' be seen with said book. And it's…
“…ALL because of YOU!!!” she finally screeched at Jiraiya.
“Hey.Hey. You can't blame sensei's perverseness on ME! He was a closet pervert just like that Ebisu guy!” and on and on the shouting progressed.
Kakashi simply sighed. It was as if seeing his two students at their 50's. It was beyond creepy. His musing were interrupted when silence suddenly ensued. He raised his eyes from his priced not yet released book that also has an autograph, so as to grace his Hokage his slightly divided attention.
“So, what's wrong with the brat?” she asked seriously. He would've smiled. Naruto really attracts the weirdest and yet strongest people…
“He overslept due to a dream… he is yet to explain it to us Hokage-sama. Would you and Jiraiya-sama be watching your apprentices?”
With the smirks he got… Yup. They'll be watching.
“We'll be watching you get pulverized Kakashi. Don't take them lightly.”
“Hai.hai.”he said comically while giving them his one eyed grin.“ It would take place at training field #3 in within one and a half hours. I'll be going then, Hokage-sama, Jiraiya-sama.”
 
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.
 
“Kisame”
“Yes.Yes. Just wait there for a moment would you? I'm having a little bit of fun.”
Kisame is pleased.
There in front of him are about 20 rouge nins who seems to have little talent and almost no brains. Itachi has kindly complied to let him get all of them. What? The Uchiha doesn't seem to be the type to get bored anyways. Kisame for the matter would be bored shitless for the next couple of days due to the extraction. At the moment they are headed for a relatively safe location for the purpose of the extraction. Yes, yes, they do have to prepare traps, genjutsu and all the other things Itachi usually does. All of that for what?! Yes, they'll attain another tailed beast but his consciousness would be with those stuck up bastards for a couple of days and not even Sasori and Deidara's bickering be enough to keep him sane!
“Oops, there goes another head. So who's next?! Uh- HEY! I was just warming up, don't tell me you guys are dead?” that would be pretty much the case. If it's blood and gore you want just leave it to Kisame and his shredder for a sword.
Throughout it all Kisame had been sparing glances at his partner. Itachi for the entire time seemed to have been meditating. Yep, meditating amidst all the cries, pleas and blood. This became a habit of his, it's like pay back to his accursed stoic partner. It's the only way he can irritate the Uchiha to the extent that at least a crease would appear on the others forehead. Somehow , he knew that Itachi wasn't meditating due to boredom or whatever reason others may have considered but- it was too zone out the cries… It was to let himself be carried away from all the death while still staying there- retaining his cold blooded apathetic mask.
Kisame simply loves to annoy pacifist.
A woman broke Kisame's lane of thought. She was wounded and her arm seems to look mangled. Kisame simply grinned at her. “Ah. There is always one in each group, aren't there…”
A loud cry of strangled sobs reverberated throughout the forest.
“…Itachi?”
 
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.
 
“You two do know that that was such an anti-climatic conclusion, right?”
“Oh shut it Kakashi-sensei, you're just upset cause you lost in such an anti-climatic way.” retorted a grinning blond while a small bell dangled on his grasp. Kakashi simply looked at them exasperatedly but then again he couldn't help but be proud. `They've grown…'
“Honestly Kakashi-sensei, to have such a weakness… pervert.” Looking at his pink haired ex fangirl student… this time he can accept the insult. She's strong now, she gained the right to critic others…it's just that… with this two grinning students of his… he could almost be sure. `I'm loosing face here aren't I? Sasuke's not even around.'
Sasuke
“Hmph! Honestly. You children have no respect for literary works. You should at least know that threatening to reveal the climatic end of a novel is almost worthy of execution! It's a crime! Honestly. Spoilers.” The old perverted sannin simply glared at the two sweat dropping teens and turned a sympathetic eye on Kakashi. “I don't blame you Kakashi… that was so bellow the-OW!”
“Shut up you old pervert! They're ninja! What sort of ninja plays fair and what are you calling a literary work?! Its jut PORN!” The Hokage after glaring daggers at her sulking perverted teammate began addressing the other three.
“You three, from this point on will be a three man team- team Kakashi. That would imply that you three are no longer in a student-teacher situation but are now equal shinobis the leaf. Come to me tomorrow morning for your first team mission.” She smirked, “I'd work you asses out to make out for the lost years.”
 
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.
 
A child is running through the street of Konoha. The sun is high up in the sky showering the hidden leaf with it's gracious warmth. The child seems to be running to a place of much importance, if his excited appearance was anything to consider. The child seems jovial amidst all the frowns, the scowls and the unpleasant murmurs. It feels as if all these were done with utmost care but to a childs innocent attention… everything were of a much higher volume. Everything seems to have been said directly, each stare more intense, each insult more hurtful each action a lot… frightening. However the child kept running as if there were no noise around… It was as if he's running to some sort of sanctuary… as if he's seeing some sort of light. However, a phrase made the child stop, turn back and watch.
The scene before him was like a refreshing breath of air that radiates with things unexplainable for a child. Two `friends' walked side by side oblivious smiles upon their faces. The childs smile turned a bit somber but it suddenly lit up when the girl among the two fell face forward on the ground. The guy tripped her. After a moment the two friends started bickering and shouting but then the guy of the two suddenly smiled and said something that could not be heard. The childs face by now was filled with confusion. He seemed a bit too shocked that the bickering stopped and the two resumed their walk. The child continued staring at them until they passed him.
Blue eyes went wide for a moment before a huge grin came to his face. The joking yet endearing words of the two kept repeating within his mind…
You are such an idiot, saiai.”
You know you love it, saiai.”
 
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.
 
“So is it real? I mean… sort of like a memory?”
Sakura looked on at the back of his team mate. They were currently walking home after the bell test. Her Shishou, Jiraiya, and Kakashi walking just behind her. She knew they were listening, the Godaime wouldn't just be walking the streets of Konoha when she had lots of paper work to do. There must be a reason. Well, that or she's just running away from her duties again. Her musing were interrupted when Naruto finally replied.
“I… don't know. I think it must be but… somehow… how could it? I mean- I- ah- the dreams are all messed up. There isn't any specific order or anything and besides, they don't coincide with the memories I already have. Besides… that person on most of them… I- I don't remember having a friend at that age. If ever I had I would most probably NOT forget him. We- I mean the child that looked like me and that kid there seemed pretty close. Actually that child was the only person I've seen close to the er- `me' of the dream. ”
“ If only I could see his face… it had always been blank…and whenever I try to remember his features… I couldn't.”
By the time the blond had finished his seemingly inner musing Sakura had already caught up to him and was looking straight at his face. She narrowed her eyes in thought, “Since when had this started Naruto? I mean, had there been anything weird before the dreams kept coming? Maybe someone messed- up with you.” she looked back at the white haired sannin quietly asking the same question… he only shook his head and looked at her missing all his playful attitude a while back.
“Nope. There is none that I could remember and even Ero-sennin didn't find anything weird on me, around me or the events before. He even checked on genjutsu that might have been placed years before but… there was none. However… I guess It doesn't bother me much. It's actually a good thing. The dreams had been nice and whenever I wake up I felt lighter… a bit happier.”
Everyone simply looked at him without saying anything, the way he spoke… it gave of the impression of nostalgia. And other than that… he looked… peaceful. They all had something on their heads all have different thoughts but one thing they share in common… They don't consider the event as something… to be put so lightly.
However…
…as they see the usually grinning and noisy idiot look so calm, quiet and content… Hell. They'd worry him later. As for the moment the blond was walking while looking up at the stars with a certain smile on his face.
It's the mask less Naruto. They'll treasure walking with the real blond for a moment longer.
Then out of the blue the blond muttered quietly almost to himself…
“I guess it explains why I had been over sleeping lately…My sleep for the past 6 months had been the most comfortable for as long as I could remember.”
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.
 
A genin with his forehead protector hanging around his neck was looking frantic. His black hair reaching just a couple of inches from his shoulders clung to his face. Frustration, anxiety and confusion mirrored his every move his every gesture as he tried to reason with an almost teary eyed child whose wide blue eyes filled with rejection and hurt.
Naruto-kun please don't call me that and no- I'm not mad at you so don't give me that look.”
The hurt upon those blue diminished but never fully left. It was just stubbornness simply became more apparent.
But why? If your not mad about it why can't I?”
The young genin simply looked if at all possible more troubled. “Naruto-kun… do you even understand the meaning of such a… uhm… nickname?”
The blond child simply grinned as he put his hands behind his head. “Of course! I saw two people calling each other that on my way here!” he said as all sadness disappeared getting replaced by the childs usual cheer. “It's what reeeaallly close friends call each other! It has to be!”
The older of the two let out a groan as he pinched the bridge of his nose… “Naruto-kun…”
Yes, saiai?”
Stop that. And no. That's not what it means… well I guess it is… but no it isn't!” then a soft mumble of “I'm too young to explain this…” was barely heared before the older one bent down to be at the same level of the younger. “Naruto-kun… `saiai… would be… you know…uhm, reserved for someone special. Uhm, the most special person to you. Wait for her ok? Reserve the title for that person… understand?”
uhm…no? what's special?”
Speacial? Uhm…I guess, it's a person who's…uhm… it-it's your most important someone. It's like your closest most important friend…you understand now?” The older ones way of inquiring almost sounded desperate and a tad bit hopeful while the younger one simply furrowed his brows in thought before he laughed. “Ah! I understand it now, ____-onichan!”
A sigh was heared from the older one as he stood up straight again only to stiffen the next moment. “So, what are we going to do today, saiai?”
Naruto-kun I thought I-“ he was somehow silenced when the child touched his hand and said.
Don't worry, ____-onichan! You don't have to call me that as well! I know you have someone reeeeaaallly special you call that. Please, please let me call you that… It's okay if you don't call me that too. I know I'm not that important but- ah!” The child suddenly stopped his rant as if he suddenly realized something. He looked up at a very troubled looking genin before he smiled that overly strained smile of his and said, “I- I ahahaha… forget about it -nichan! I guess you really mind… uh… erase it! I never said anything okay, ____-onichan?”
The child continued to laugh while the other simply looked horrified. After a while a second sigh left his lips, “Naruto-kun, stop that. You don't need to pretend to me. I really don't mind… really. It's just that I want you to understand that that name is supposed to be for only `one' person besides I-“ However he was cut off with question, “You really don't mind?”
Yes, but-“
Then It's settled! ____-Onichan is the only one I have and-“
Naruto-kun I won't be the only you would heve. You'll meet and befriend many more as you grow-“
AANNND” the child continued as if not hearing him, “____-onichan would ALWAYS be my most important no matter WHAT happens.”
You can't say that.”
I can! I know I'm sure!”
The older one looked down on the very determined and very stubborn child and sighed his third…
You won't change your mind, huh?”
The child's grin widened at the resigned tone. “Nope! Admit defeat!” he demanded.
Hn.” Was the only reply but it caused him to jump all around the place while dancing what seemed to be a victory dance. Once he was done he saw his friend sitting on the same spot his hair covering his eyes. The child came close and placed a hand on the others forehead removing the bangs out of the way. Blue eyes looked on with worry only to be surprised by the others gentle expression. He stared. He was completely stilled by what he saw, a smile has graced the others lips. “You're really… this would be the first that you-“ however he was silenced when his forehead met the others...
.
.
.
Yes you win, saiai.”
 
.….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXXX….XXX̷ 0;.
 
Hah! Finally finished! Now, some explanations-
(1)`____-onichan'= this would be because the name had to be blacked off.
(2) Naruto can't see the face.
(3) This dreams are like this-- have you guys ever experienced waking up and remembering a dream and yet not remember how you remember? It's as if you just know that that happened and that was how it felt and that person smiled even if you really can't remember the details anymore or even how you managed to know what ypu think you know.. [hope didn't confuse you guys much].
Please review!