Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Little Spark: Intro to Fire Hound ❯ Don't Judge a Book ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Spark: Intro to Fire Hound

Act I: The Making of a Little Spark

Chapter 3: Don’t Judge a Book

------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------

Kamachi stumbled into the Hokage’s chambers, out of breath and very tardy.

Kamachi, you’re late.” Sarutobi stated, his eyes closed and his pipe held tightly in his teeth.

I’m sorry sir…” Kamachi panted. “Something came up.”

The Hokage laughed. “Let me guess…36’’, 24’’, 36’’?”

Oh, no sir; Much better then that. I think she’s the one, if you know what I mean.” Kamachi winked as he took a seat.

I should hope so…no other woman but a wife…or in this case, a future wife…should make a man late for an appointment. You’re going to see her again, I presume?”

Yes, sir. Tonight, as a matter of fact.” He leaned over to fiddle with a small wood carving of a horse on the Hokage’s desk.

Kamachi…”

The young Lord brought his attention to the ancient face of the old man. “Yeah?”

Do you know why I called you here today?”

No sir…nobody told me anything…just to come down here.”

Sarutobi took a puff of his pipe. “As you know, my time as Hokage is almost at its end. I had a good run, but it’s time to choose my predecessor, who will begin his term when I retire.”

Wait a minute…you want me to help you choose?” Kamachi asked in shock.

No…” The Hokage stopped and tapped the ashes out of his pipe. “I want you, Kamachi, to be the next Hokage.”

Kamachi stared into the withered face of the most powerful ninja in Konoha. “M…me?”

Yes. What do you think of that?” He asked as he refilled the pipe.

I…I’m honored, sir…and…speechless…” Kamachi trailed, at a complete loss for words. “But why me? Wouldn’t Minato be a better choice?”

Kamachi knew Minato was a very powerful ninja and a great leader. They had gone on a few missions together, and the young Inuzuka Lord was always impressed with Yondaime’s leadership skills and quick thinking.

Yes.” Sarutobi agreed as he took a drag from the pipe. “He is very talented and, no doubt, a viable candidate, but you're my first choice. I mean, most of Konoha doesn’t even know you’re a ninja, you’re so good at being inconspicuous. You make certain that your work and pleasures are always separate, and your extensive knowledge of forbidden jutsus is unmatched. Not to mention your ingenuity; the weapons you create are imaginative and practical. The main question is, why wouldn’t you be Hokage? You’re perfect for the job.”

Kamachi sighed and shook his head. “I’m honored, sir. Really I am…”

But?”

But…the girl I met today…she…she won’t marry a ninja.”

Ah!” Sarutobi sat forward eagerly. “Don’t tell me you’ve fallen in love with Akita Hatake?”

Kamachi lifted his eyes. “You…know her?”

Know her? HA! Every man in Konoha knows her. You’d be hard-pressed to find one who hasn’t been defeated by her biting wits! She’s a mound of trouble, that one.” He scratched his chin. “My goodness…she doesn’t know you’re a ninja, does she?”

I…kinda told her I wasn’t…”

Kamachi…” The Hokage shook his head disapprovingly.

I know, I know! But if she knew I was a ninja, she wouldn’t give me the time of day!”

That’s true…but aren’t you worried she’ll find out eventually?”

Sir, my own family doesn’t even know what I do. I can keep it from her like I do them…but being Hokage…that’s something I can’t hide.” Kamachi lowered his head and turned away.

My boy, you’ve only just met her. You shouldn’t make a decision like this until after you’ve grown to know each other more.”

You don’t understand…” Kamachi leaned over the Hokage’s desk. “I’m in love with her.”

Love? Are you sure it isn’t lust?”

Yes, I’m sure. Look, after I left her house, I tried to imagine myself never seeing her again…” He paused to take a deep breath. “I felt like rolling over and dying right then and there just for thinking of something so horrible.”

Sounds like you’ve got it bad.” The old man laughed as he puffed away on the pipe.

Very bad.”

Hmm.” He sat his pipe down on the desk, smoke still dancing from the bowl. “Well, Kamachi, the offer still stands. If you feel the same way in the future, then I shall choose Yondaime. But if it doesn’t work out, you’re still my first choice.”

I apologize in advance for letting you down.” Kamachi said with a forced smile.

The Hokage placed his hand on Kamachi’s well-built shoulder.

You would have made one hell of a great Hokage, my boy. But I know you’ll make a hell of a great husband, too. I give you my blessings. Especially with Akita, you’ll need it.” The Hokage trailed off.

Thank you sir.” Kamachi grinned as the old man retracted his arm.

You’ve met her little brother, Kakashi, yes?”

Kamachi sighed and gave a small chuckle. “Yeah, I met him, too, alright…”

Sarutobi laughed. “That bad, huh?”

Oh, no. He’s not a bad kid. He’s just lashing out because of his own personal problems, like most of the students at the Academy.” Kamachi said with a shrug.

Ah, yes. His father was a great shinobi warrior, but due to some…personal distractions on the field…” The Hokage tried to sugarcoat the tragic event. “…He was stripped of rank, and eventually committed suicide.”

The White Fang…I’ve heard of him. That was Kakashi and Akita’s father? How sad…poor kid.” Kamachi’s empathy was strong, and he couldn’t help but shed a tear for the siblings, especially Kakashi.

You’re a kind man, Kamachi…peculiar and unfitting for a ruthless ninja…but I think you’re just what Akita and her brother need.”

You compliment me too much, sir.” Kamachi blushed. “I’m sorry I can’t be the next Hokage.”

Me too! But, I’m sure you’ve made the right choice.”

The two respectable men exchanged proud stares. They ended their meeting with a bow, and Kamachi was dismissed.

------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------

Akita darted back forth through the house, getting herself primped and proper for her late-night date with Kamachi. Kakashi sat quietly in his chair, eyes on the TV, his favorite channel once again blocked with a new password. Luckily, the cannabis tea and brownies had started to kick in, making him rather calm about the whole situation. The phone rang loudly on the desk right near his chair. He slowly reached for it, only to have Akita snatch it before he could even touch it. He gave her a momentary glare as she answered it politely.

Hello? Oh, hey…” Her tone was friendly, indicating she was familiar with the voice on the other end. “Yeah, I’m still going out tonight…umm, hold on, I’ll ask him…” She placed her hand over the receiver. “Kakashi…Gai wants come over and bring some movies.”

That’s nice…”

Well, do you want his company or not?”

Not really.” Kakashi answered with a shrug.

Akita rolled her eyes and returned her attention to the phone. “Yeah, he’d love for you to come over. Alright, see you ina few minutes.”

Kakashi threw his arms up in frustration as Akita bid farewell to the voice on the other line and placed the phone back in the cradle. She turned to her brother, who seemed annoyed.

What’s the matter with you? Gai is your only friend, why don’t you want to hang out with him?” She asked, concerned.

Akita, we’re NOT friends…we’re rivals; there’s a difference”

No there isn’t...you’re boys…friend and rival means exactly the same thing.” She got up and left the room again, only to return with a coat draped over her shoulders. “Kamachi should be here any minute now…emergency numbers are on the fridge, and the pizza guy should get here right after I leave. Did I forget anything?”

The other half of your dress.” Kakashi grumbled, eyeing the knee-length dress with the slits all the way up to her thighs.

Akita simply glared, licking the back of her teeth in an agitated manner. A knock at the door broke her concentration. She fiddled with her hair before opening the door to see Gai; 3 movies tucked under his arm.

Good evening, Akita!” He greeted with a big, toothy grin. “How is your well-proportioned self tonight?” He inquired as his eyes took in every inch of her.

Hello, Gai.” She moaned, rolling her eyes. “Kakashi’s in the living room. Shut the door when you come in.”

She went to leave, but the amorous 12-year-old grabbed her by the hand. “You know, if it doesn’t work out with this fancy-shmancy Lord, I’ll always be around, and I can treat you right.” He finished by kissing her hand.

Akita smiled, but not for the reasons Gai thought.

Is that so, little man?” A rugged voice came from behind.

Gai turned slowly to see Kamachi leaning in the doorway, wearing his usual devilish grin. His clothes were now a matching cream with tan tassels hanging from the collar; his shirt unbuttoned at the top. Gai turned every shade of red imaginable as he looked up in awe at the handsome man.

Y…y…you’re…him?” Gai stammered out, knowing very well that any woman in her right mind would chose this man over him any day of the week.

Kamachi laughed heartily. “Don’t worry!” He put his arm around Gai’s shoulders. “If I get tired of her, I promise you can have what’s left.” He finished by giving the boy a firm slap in the back.

Upon feeling Kamachi’s grip on him loosen, Gai scurried to the living room, feeling a bit inadequate.

Kamachi turned his attention to Akita, who was still giggling from his joke. “You look amazing.” He said quietly.

Thank you.” A girlish blush burned her cheeks as she averted her eyes.

Kamachi looked up at Kakashi, smiled and waved. Kakashi simply stared, an obvious look of disdain on his face. The young Lord started into the living room, lifting his hands and performing some handseals.

You wanna hold him down for me?” Kamachi asked Gai, who immediately did as he was requested and held his rivals’ hands down against the arms of the chair.

Hold me down for what?” Kakashi tried to struggle. “Hey, let go! Get away from me!” He panicked. “He’s making handseals in the house Akita!” He tried to beg his sister as he kicked and wiggled helplessly as Kamachi got closer. “DON’T TOUCH ME!”

Kamachi brought 2 fingers down gently on Kakashi’s sore side. To his own surprise, Kakashi ceased his struggling when he realized what the young Lord was doing. After a moment, he pulled his hand away.

There you go, Kakashi. Sorry I forgot to do it earlier. You’ll be fine by tomorrow morning.” He finished with a friendly grin.

Kakashi looked at his sister, who stood behind Kamachi, forming words on her lips without speaking. It took him a moment to figure out what his sister wanted him to say.

Thank you.” Kakashi said, as though the words pained him.

No problem, little buddy. And don’t worry about your sister. She’ll come home safe and sound.”

That said, Kamachi turned away and went outside. He stood near Katavi and waited patiently for Akita. She walked over to her brother and kissed his forehead.

Have fun watching movies.”

Have fun on your one-night stand.” He growled, yanking his hands free from Gai’s grip.

Akita glared harshly at her brother, shaking her head disapprovingly. “You’re impossible.” She snapped before heading out the door.

Kakashi nudged Gai and motioned his head towards the window. Gai got up and watched as Kamachi valiantly lifted Akita onto his horse. Then, he himself mounted Katavi, and the 3 of them disappeared into the night. Gai returned to his seat near Kakashi.

They’re gone.” He reported.

What movies did you bring?”

Gai handed Kakashi the 3 movies. “Wayne’s World, Monty Python and The Odd Couple? Dude, these movies suck.”

Gai rolled his eyes and pulled the tapes out of the covers. “Now read them.”

Kakashi nearly had tears in his eyes. “Bed Bunnies, Series 1 through 3…” He looked up at his rival, eyes moist. “Good call, man. Good call.”

There was another knock at the door. Kakashi reached into his pocket and pulled out the money his sister left. He handed it to Gai, who took it and got up to answer the door. He returned a few moments later with the steaming, cheesy pie. Kakashi handed him one of the movies.

Pop it in.” He demanded. Gai growled as he snatched the movie and shoved it in the VCR. He went to sit down, but Kakashi stopped him. “Plates and drinks.” He ordered.

Gai gave an irate grunt, but stomped into the kitchen and returned with the plates and drinks, as requested. He plopped himself in the chair near the still incapacitated ninja.

What, no napkins?” Kakashi inquired. “Were you raised by cavemen?”

Go to hell, Kakashi.”

Fine…just don’t come crying to me when Akita breaks your legs for getting grease stains on her furniture…”

With another growl, followed by a defeated sigh, Gai got up again and wandered into the kitchen. Kakashi simply smiled under his mask, pleased with his rivals’ obedience.

------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Akita and Kamachi sat quietly on opposite ends of the wealthy Lord’s massive couch. They had dinner and talked, and afterwards went on a moonlit ride by the riverside and talked, then returned to his estate for tea and cakes. During their conversation, Akita learned that when Kamachi wasn’t attending to his duties as a Lord, he volunteered for the local law enforcement, aiding them with animal-related issues. He also told her he substituted for a chemistry teacher at a high school. In fact, they had talked so much, there really wasn’t too much more to say; and so they sat on the big couch. The long awkward silence was too much for Akita to bare, especially with the painfully sexy Lord sitting directly across from her. With a deep breath, she inched a little closer.

Kamachi? Whatcha thinkin’ about?” She tried to ask playfully, scooting her tush along the fine leather, closing in on the unexpecting young Lord.

Katavi…” He sighed, not even looking at her.

The horse?” She asked in shock, unsure if she misheard him.

Yeah.” He sighed again, resting his head on his hand. “He didn’t finish his oats tonight…I hope he’s alright. He’s usually a hearty eater.”

Akita rolled her eyes, reached behind her head and pulled out the tight ponytail, letting her mid-back length hair fall to the sides of her face.

I wonder if he’s just…” Kamachi was unable to finish his sentence as Akita forcefully pressed her lips against his, pushing him down from the couch onto the floor.

----------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------

Gai leaned close to the TV, squinting his eyes at the pornographic scene that played out vividly on the small screen.

Hey, Kakashi. What do you make of that?” He asked curiously, taking great care not to break his gaze.

Well, I think it’s great when Bunnies get together to play…especially with whipped cream.”

Not that…I meant Kyumi Nagamura’s tattoo.”

Tattoo? Is that what that is? Huh…thought it was a bite-mark…”

I think it looks like Papa Smurf.” Gai said with a shrug as he sipped the last drop of soda from the can that sat next to the chair he was seated on.

Kakashi turned to Gai, one eyebrow ascended. “Papa Smurf? Dude, it’s clearly the donkey from…that stuffed bear show.”

Eeyore from Whinnie the Pooh? No way…”

Kakashi turned slowly to Gai, a look of disgust on his face. “Dude, you’re so lame…”

It’s…not like I watch it or anything!” Gai stammered, blushing. “I…heard it…somewhere…”

Oh yeah? Where?”

From…this…lady…”

Mmhmm…” Kakashi mumbled with a roll of his eyes.

Shut up, Kakashi.”

-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------

4:00 a.m.


Kamachi rolled from his bed sleepily and walked quietly towards the bathroom, taking care not to wake Akita, who slept soundly next to him.

As he exited the bathroom, a ring from his private phone brought him to the living room. He answered it with a heavy yawn.

Hello?”

Kamachi…” A gruff voice answered. “There’s a situation on the outskirts of Eastern Konoha. 6 assassins have been sent to kill some girl in a beauty pageant.”

Six assassins to do in one little girl? Good Lord, they must be desperate for cash…” He mumbled, entering the kitchen and pulling out a carton of milk. He drank some and put it back. "It's disgusting what people would do just to win some crummy pageant."

Focus, Kamachi." The voice snapped. "They’re about 15 miles from the Inn the girl is staying at. Can you handle it?”

Now? For the love of everything Kosher, it’s 4 in the morning!”

Hey, you’re the one who requests these late-night missions, but if you’re not up to it, I can always send Minato to take care of it.”

No, no, I’m already up. I’ll handle it. Don’t wake him.”

You sound so tired…I mean I know it’s 4 am, but you’re usually all over things like this.”

Let’s just say I was all over something else earlier and am still pretty tired from it.”

There was a long pause at the other end of the line.

Kamachi…you didn’t!”

Bye, Sarutobi.” He hung up the phone with a victorious grin. He reentered his room and quietly dressed. Akita slept soundly as Kamachi prepared a message for her and left it on the pillow. He kissed her head and exited the house.

----------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------

He entered the barn and took Katavi from his stall. He brushed and saddled the patient stallion, while other fine horses poked their heads from their stalls and nickered softly to their loving master. Kamachi led the horse from the barn, closed the door and mounted. With a gentle kick, the stallion and the Lord were off with lightning fast speed towards their destination.


Halfway there, Kamachi closed his eyes and performed 2 handseals in a specific order; Inu, Uma, Inu, Uma, Inu.

HORSE-OF-A-DIFFERENT-COLOR JUTSU!

In a flash, The buff and handsome Lord disappeared; a slim knight in a skintight body suit took his place in the saddle.

The Black Ninja’, as he was known by all who followed the stories of elite ninjas, was garnered with mechanical weapons down his arms and many others hidden elsewhere on his body. Though adorned with the variety of lethal gadgets and gizmos, he very rarely used them to defeat his enemies.

Katavi, too, changed from a thick, golden steed with a mane and tail almost as wide as his body, to a jet-black athlete of an animal; his mane stiff and erect like a mohawk, and his tail bobbed. The furious horse’s eyes glowed bright red like a demon stallion from Hell. Thick spikes grew from the menacing creatures’ hooves while two fangs sprang from his upper jaw.

The horse slid to a stop once the transformation was complete, and reared up, lashing out with its powerful legs. It let out an ear-piercing squeal, while the ninja unsheathed a pair of swords, twirling them with great accuracy. Kamachi and Katavi, the team of gentle, yet handsome young bucks were gone. Now the duo of death made their presence known, as they whirled around and continued their trek to the scene of a crime that had not yet taken place.

As they came upon their destination, the Black Ninja leapt from the horse’s back into the trees. The riderless equine continued his charge through the trees, seeking out the unsuspecting criminals.