Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Naruto of the Mirage ❯ Chapter 23 ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The day after Naruto's meeting with Gaara was as pleasant as could be expected for Suna, hot and windy, but at least it wasn't humid. Sasuke woke before Naruto, still unaware of his brother's discovery. Naruto hadn't told anyone about it, and it was obvious that something was bothering him, but Sasuke knew that Naruto would deal with it, better than he could. He looked at Naruto, who was still sleeping, before getting up and checking his gear for the day. Naruto woke up half an hour later, just enough time to check his own belongings, before they went to meet up with Tenten.
 
They met up with the brunette outside of the room she shared with Shizune and Sakura, both of whom would be otherwise engaged today. Their teammate was waiting, her two wakizashi, which were hidden away in a scroll yesterday, were once again attached to her back, and looked ready for action. The three headed for the meeting point, eager to get the third portion of the exam underway.
 
They got there early enough, and weren't surprised to see the Cloud team already there. They seemed none the worse for wear and eyed the leaf shinobi wearily. Soon they were joined by another team, the lone team remaining from Suna, who seemed to be a bit tired, but uninjured. If he had to venture a guess, Sasuke would have assumed they got back in around two or three in the morning. There was only a little bit of time left before noon, and only three teams had passed. This got almost every team wondering about how hard the last part had been, as well as the skill level of their competition. As the final seconds were counting down to noon, what would surely be the final team arrived, they were from Iwa, and Naruto recognized them as the group that had been sneering at them before the first exam started.
 
“Now that you are all here, we will go over the set up for this portion of the exam. The final portion will consist of three team fights. The fights will be chosen by the drawing of lots, and will take place in two weeks exactly. As usual, they will be held in front of the various daimyos and other regional leaders, as well as the Kazekage and Hokage. The only way to win is to disable or kill all three members of the opposing team. Even if there is only one member of your team left, they will be declared the winners.”
 
One by one, each team was called forward and withdrew a slip of paper with a number on it, which would place the remaining twelve genin. The first match would be between the team from the Sand, and the Cloud team. This meant that Naruto and company would face the Rock team, something of a grudge match. The real pain of the situation was they only had two weeks to get ready.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
The team had spent the first four days doing nothing but practicing their teamwork, an area that was still a bit weak, especially compared to what they were used to on their old teams. Slowly but steadily they progressed, to the point where they became highly skilled at anticipating each others moves and keeping out of the way. Their workout today had been productive, and they had agreed that after this session, they should work on techniques that they may need. Sasuke had left to send a letter to Haku, something he hadn't gotten out of the habit of, no matter how short a time it had been since he had last seen her. This left Tenten alone with Naruto, something she was looking forward to greatly.
 
“Hey, Naruto, you wanna go get some lunch? We've been working really hard, aren't you hungry at all?” She asked innocently enough.
 
“Sure, it is really hot out. What are you in the mood for?”
 
“I don't care really, how about somewhere out of the sun? Oh, I know! I saw this little seafood place around the block.”
 
“Ok, sounds good to me.” Naruto agreed. As hot and windy as Suna was, they actually weren't that far from a small body of water, even though they were in the capitol, they managed a constant supply of fish and other marine food stuffs. The restaurant was surprisingly empty when they got there, though neither could figure out why. They ordered some food, which arrived quickly enough and then got to discussing different things.
 
“Well, you've seen how Sasuke acts around Haku, it's not that I don't want a girlfriend, but I'm just not sure who would be interested in me.” Somehow the topic of conversation had gotten to Naruto's lack of a girlfriend.
 
“Well, why don't you tell me what kind of girl you would look for, and I'll tell you if I know of anyone who fits that description.”
 
“I dunno, I guess I would be attracted to someone who doesn't make assumptions…probably someone who's pretty strong, not just physically, but mentally, oh, I'd rather date someone who's smart, not like those fan girls back in the academy.”
 
Internally, Tenten was grinning like a Cheshire cat! `I'm open minded! I'm smart, heck, I'm better at strategy than he is, and I am most definitely NOT a fan girl!'
 
While the weapons mistress had been gloating, Naruto had returned to his fish, and was eating happily, when a new presence entered the building.
 
“Ah, Tenten, I wondered if I would see you.” The voice came from the entryway, and was easily recognized.
 
“Neji! What are you doing here? I didn't think you'd be here this quick.”
 
“We weren't, but the clan council decided to join us on our vacation, so we had to leave earlier, so we could make arrangements for them.” He moved out of the incoming light, and stepped towards their table. Naruto noticed that Hinata was with him, probably so he could act as her body guard.
 
“Hello, Naruto-kun, Tenten.” Her voice was soft, but held a hidden edge, that was directed at Tenten by the way she locked eyes with the other girl.
 
“Neji! Hinata-chan, nice to see you! How is your vacation going?” Naruto asked, moving over so that the Hyuugas could sit down.
 
“It's been about half a day, Naruto; we can't really make a decision on that.” Neji corrected.
 
“Well, there's got to be something you can make a decision on, isn't there?”
 
“Well, it isn't as peaceful as we would have hoped, what with the council following us now.” Hinata spoke up, alternating between watching Naruto, and shooting death glares at Tenten, who seemed to have discovered the wonders of the boy as well, and was trying to make a move.
 
“If the council is here, and your family is here, than who's back in Konoha?” Tenten asked, keeping her eyes on Hinata.
 
“Well, it's not the entire council, only the more senior members. I guess they just wanted the time off.” Neji filled in the blank.
 
From there on out, the conversation turned to the exams, what Naruto and Tenten thought about the competition and their chances. They also discussed the variations in the exams, for example, Neji and Hinata's second chuunin exam, had been in Mist, and was almost entirely fighting, both as a team and individually. When Tenten brought up the second exam, Naruto stiffened ever so slightly, something that both Hyuuga's caught immediately.
 
“Was it really difficult?” Hinata asked, more to Naruto than Tenten, first off because she wanted to talk with her crush, and secondly because she was worried about him. That stiffening a moment ago, was a sign of something he didn't want to talk about, and, being the loving girl she is, Hinata wanted him to talk about it.
 
“It wasn't that hard, we had to run for a while, and then take out some chuunin and a jounin, but it was fine. We had to copy the information that Suna had gathered on ourselves, as part of a mission. They said that I was a probably one of the most skilled weapons users in the past twenty years, but noted that I did have a weakness when it came to people with wind nature chakra. Luckily, Naruto-kun here, fixed that for me. What did it say about you, Naruto?” Tenten was once again trying to rub the fact that she was spending time with the boy, in Hinata's face.
 
Naruto just shrugged. “Not much, it was pretty out dated, nothing since I went with Jiraiya.” Obviously this was a lie, but he just didn't want to spill the beans on his heritage just yet.
 
Eventually Naruto convinced Neji that they should go looking for Sasuke, who was `probably still writing his love note to Haku, despite having an hour and a half head start'. Never one to miss a chance to mess with his rival, Neji agreed, and after receiving assurances from Hinata that she would be fine by herself, the boys left the restaurant.
 
“So…you're here for `vacation' are you?” Tenten asked sarcastically.
 
“Yes, we are. The trips been booked for weeks, if you're implying that I'm only here to see Naruto-kun, than you need to get a grip on reality. Besides, if you don't watch out, you may end up costing him a chance at chuunin.”
 
“I'd never do that to Naruto-kun!”
 
“Tough words, coming from someone who has problems with a bit of wind!” Hinata was firing on all cylinders now.
 
“Well at least I've got the guts to ask him out; you just stand behind trees and stalk him!”
 
The two just glared at each other, neither retreating nor giving an inch. This was a war, and would be fought until one was dead…or at the very least, so ugly that no one would want to date her. The tension was nearly palpable, when both just turned on their heels and walked away.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
The remaining time before the exam was spent training on individual techniques and some strategy. When they were done, either Tenten and/or Hinata would try and hang around with Naruto as much as possible, always trying to out do each other in their own twisted attempt to gain affection. Finally the day of the fight came around and all three members felt prepared.
 
There was a large crowd, just like before, with Daimyos and other important people were in attendance, along with the Hokage and Kazekage. The Hyuuga main family was in attendance as well, though they were trying to be discreet about their presence.
 
“Welcome to the chuunin exam. We have four teams that best exemplify the qualities of a chuunin. They will fight in three team matches. The only means of victory are to incapacitate or kill all three members of the opposing team. The first match-up is between Sunagakure and Kumogakure.” Gaara's voice had the entire crowd silent, as he began the fights.
 
The six ninja just stared each other down in anticipation of the fight that was about to begin. The jounin who would be refereeing the matches gave the order to begin the fight and the action…was barely on. Actually, all of the six ninja just stood there, the Sand shinobi were waiting for the first move to be made, while the Cloud ninja just stood there looking bored, their arms crossed over their chests. Suddenly, the blonde kunoichi just turned around and walked to the edge of the arena and sat down.
 
“This isn't worth my time, you two finish the fight.” Her voice was harsh, but full of confidence as she just leaned back and closed her eyes.
 
The boys on her team just turned to the sand team and drew their respective swords. However, the brown haired boy with the nodachi just pointed the blade at the other team, before a surge of lightning struck the Sand ninja he was pointing at, not killing him, but knocking him out, painfully. The other boy, who had two butterfly swords drawn, charged at the two remaining ninja, who were shocked at the speed of the first attack and was able to slash the side of one of the two remaining ninja, before the other even knew what happened. Though none of the sand ninja had been killed, the severity of the attacks were growing in intensity and the lone kunoichi knew she stood little chance if she were to fight these two on her own. She had no choice but to surrender the fight and tend to her teammates.
 
The proctor called the match and signaled for the medics to take the two injured boys away.
 
The two remaining teams headed for the arena floor. They faced each other, the Rock ninja constantly glaring at the leaf shinobi, but for their part, Naruto, Sasuke and Tenten kept their cool. Immediately after the start of the match, the Rock ninja decided it would be a good idea to try and mock the leaf ninja. The main problem with this was that all three Konoha shinobi had performed a short series of hand seals and disappeared.
 
Instantly the Iwa ninja were on guard, but weren't fast enough to avoid being pulled underneath the earth to their necks.
 
“Here we thought you would've seen that coming.” Naruto mocked, crouching down to pat the kunoichi on her head.
 
“You idiots! Did you really think that this is going to hold us? We're freakin' Rock ninja, we thrive on earth jutsu!” With that, all three rock ninja disappeared into the ground, leaving the leaf ninja at the disadvantage.
 
At this, Naruto and Sasuke broke into identical smirks as the half blonde began to run through some hand seals. Unfortunately he was cut short, when a pair of hands grabbed the legs of the Konoha shinobi. They were quickly jerked downwards, until the `bodies' all fell into a puddle of water, soaking their opponents.
 
“And there I would've though you'd see that coming.” Sasuke taunted from the team's position on the arena wall.
 
The Iwa ninja were now rather angry, and were speaking in cuss words and vile gestures. Naruto took it upon himself to finish the fight now, so they could get on with their day. Waving his hand, three bolts of lightning discharged from his fingers and struck the wet rock ninja, who had the idea to raise a defense, but since lightning chakra is strong when compared to earth, they were all struck, causing a massive case of static build up, as well as unconsciousness.
 
“The team from Konoha wins.” The jounin once more motioned for the medics to take the losers away. “The next match will begin immediately.” The final two teams faced down each other without wavering.
 
Tenten was a bit worried, she knew something was off with this team, but she couldn't figure out what. The two boys seemed strong enough, judging by their last performances, and yet they shied away from the blonde girl. There was obviously something about the girl that obviously scared her teammates, and if they were scared, then shouldn't she be?
 
“Tenten, don't worry too much, I already told you, I think we match up pretty well with these guys. Just stick with your man and don't worry, you're more than ready for this.” Naruto reassured the girl, who blushed heavily at being read so accurately, before she smiled back and steeled herself.
 
The Cloud team was eyeing their opponents just as hard as the Konoha team, and the males were feeling a bit nervous, seeing how the Rock ninja had been beaten at their own game. Meanwhile, the kunoichi was still feeling bored with the fight. Sure their opponents were strong, but she was the vessel for the Nibi no Nekomata, the two tailed cat demon. She was almost certain that they would win and honestly felt like she would just sit this one out again. Then, once her opponents were either defeated or dead, she would have to retrieve that Uchiha's sharingan. It wouldn't be easy, as the Hokage was in attendance, but Yugito was sure she could do it.
 
When the match was started, she gave orders to her teammates.
 
“Katsu, Hikaru, this is on you again, these nobodies bore me.” As she began to walk away, she was stopped by the sudden appearance of Naruto's fist connecting with her face, throwing her back far beyond the line created by Sasuke and Tenten.
 
“Like hell you'll sit this one out! I'm fighting you, and if you just sit there and take it, then where's the fun?” The ever loud ninja shouted before giving chase.
 
Katsu and Hikaru were in shock, no one had dared fight Yugito by themselves, and no one they knew had ever moved that fast before. Before they could move to help out their teammate, they were forced to dodge a two sided assault from Sasuke and Tenten. They split the Kumo team apart even farther than before. So far their plan was working perfectly, now it was on each individual to perform to their abilities.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA