Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Naruto of the Mirage ❯ Chapter 24 ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yugito walked through the dark streets of Suna, en route to her meeting with Naruto. The boy was weird, she would admit, but a capable fighter and certainly crafty enough to be a ninja. Throw in the fact that he was a jinchuriki as well, and Yugito was intrigued by the boy. She climbed up a wall and leapt onto an open ledge where the leaf ninja was supposed to be. He was there, but he wasn't alone. The Kazekage stood with him, talking like they were old friends.
 
“I figured it wouldn't hurt if all three of us were here. Besides, we all have the same kind of problems or at least we will if things don't change soon.” Naruto read the look off her face before she could even before she could voice her complaint.
 
“It is nice to meet you, outside of the exams.” Gaara extended his hand in greeting and was a bit shocked when the girl reciprocated and shook his hand. The Kazekage knew that the kunoichi was strong minded and detested people she considered weaker than herself.
 
“Well I don't know about you guys, but I figure we should get this done with.” Naruto was watching for anyone walking about this time of night.
 
“This is about the Akatsuki, right?”
 
“Yeah, I don't know how much info you and your villages have, but as I think we should share. We might not have anything other than the demons in common, but that's still enough of a reason for me.” This was directed more at Yugito, as Naruto felt that he and Gaara held a strong bond already.
 
“I agree. I may have been trained by many different shinobi since I was young, but even I don't wish to have to fight two S-rank criminals at once.” Yugito was a surprising ally, but hopefully one that could be trusted in the future.
 
“Very well, why don't we take this inside, that way we can speak uninterrupted.” Gaara motioned towards his office. Already spread out on his desk were the appropriate files. Yugito looked around the room a bit in awe. The Raikage's office wasn't nearly as nice as this; it was much darker and seemed more cramped. Gaara just moved behind his desk and waited until the two sat down before he pushed the first file forward.
 
“Our information on the organization as a whole, it's a bit below what I would have liked to see, but we just haven't had the resources to put on a spy mission of this caliber.” The two visiting ninja looked over the information; it was a vague and speculative but solid and was confirmed by everything that Naruto knew. The only new information was a possible location of their base, mostly based off of a number of disappearances in the region between the Fire and Sand nation. Gaara pushed another folder forward.
 
“Despite our status as a great power, we have produced few ninja worthy of S class status, at least in the past twenty years or so. Therefore, if there were a member of Akatsuki from Suna, this is my bet.
 
“Akasuna no Sasori.” Naruto's voice wasn't any different than usual, but even Yugito could tell that he was a bit uncomfortable. “At least it's convenient.”
 
Yugito shot him a look of bewilderment, but he just shrugged it off and then pulled a book from his pouch.
 
“This is what I've been able to assemble, mostly though Jiraiya, but he's the closest thing to an expert on the organization that you could get without being a member. “As far as Konoha goes, we only have one confirmed member, Sasuke's older brother Itachi, but there are still four members we haven't confirmed with a hundred percent accuracy. We had another one, but then Orochimaru left the organization, around the same time as Itachi left Konoha. What we know for sure is that they seem to go through members on a pretty frequent basis, that's one of the reasons that we don't know the exact members for sure. Besides Itachi, there's Hoshigaki Kisame, a former member of the seven swordsmen of the Mist. There's Sasori and his partner, Deidara a Rock ninja who specializes in explosives. There this guy named Zetsu, but we don't know anything about him, even where he's from he doesn't work with anyone, at least, as far as we know. The final pair, which is the one we aren't a hundred percent on, is a guy from Takigakure named Kakuzu. Once again, we don't know much, but our best estimate is that he's right in the middle in term of strength, more than likely fifth. His partner is from some unknown village or country and goes by the name Hidan. Once again, we don't know anything about him, so it's all guess work. As for the last two, we have absolutely nothing, they haven't been seen or heard from, and if it weren't for the fact that someone has to be leading the ninja, we wouldn't even know they existed.
 
As for motive behind them, we don't have much. Since they're capturing the demons and their hosts, it's easy to see that they need the power for whatever they're doing. If they need that much power, than it's probably some kind of take over the world thing.”
 
“What's the point of capturing jinchuriki if all they need are their powers? Wouldn't it be easier if they just convinced us to join their side?” Yugito asked; this new information was an eye opener.
 
“Well, all we have is a story that one of Jiraiya's old students told him. Apparently at a time before the biju were being sealed up, there was a `hidoi yajuu' or great beast that was even more powerful than the demons we have. It was rumored to have untold power and be impossible to defeat or kill in any way. Suddenly, some time around three hundred and fifty to four hundred years ago, it just vanished and the first records of biju appeared in human history. Now, this story goes that the beast was suppressed, not killed, by a number of its weaker minions who had grown tired of being subservient to this beast. I think that those servants somehow became the biju, and I think I may even know how. If the biju sealed parts of the beast within themselves, then to revive the beast, the Akatsuki would need the biju and not their hosts.”
 
Yugito and Gaara were captivated by the boy's tale which, if true, would spell immeasurable trouble for the shinobi world.
 
“How many demons do they have?” Gaara was the first to find a question to ask.
 
“Only three right now, but we know for a fact that they are increasing their pace. Jiraiya's informants have alluded to increased sightings of the members and we can only assume that they will be coming after you two soon.” Naruto was shocked when both took the information in stride and didn't even bat an eyelash.
 
“Well, that's to be expected, so any guesses on who they'll send after us?” This time Yugito seemed to be more interested.
 
“No, and I'd rather not speculate too much. That way if I'm wrong you haven't prepared for the wrong people, you should be ready for anyone and anything”
 
The conversation continued on for a while, well into the early morning/late night hours. Eventually the two visiting ninja went back to their rooms and prepared for their departures later the next day.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
“…and your informant is sure that the Nibi and Kyuubi jinchuriki are leaving tomorrow?”
 
“Yes, the Konoha team is leaving with the Hokage and the Cloud team is by themselves. There is the small matter of the Hyuuga's remaining, but they should be of little importance.”
 
“Even so, we need not get into a fight where one or more of the legendary sannin are near. Undoubtedly Jiraiya has been floating around Suna as well. Konoha is very protective of that boy. If the four of you were to leave today, you should arrive in two days. I want the Shukaku and Nibi now; that will make our plans go much smoother later on.”
 
The four shadowy figures just nodded their heads and blurred out of existence.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 
The entire contingent of Konoha shinobi, minus the Hyuuga delegation were back on the road to Konoha and in were actually accompanied, albeit loosely, by the Kumo shinobi, who were taking their losses rather well. The arrangement was actually something of a surprise, as the jounin that had accompanied them had been called back to Kumo earlier yesterday, leaving his team to make it back on their own, or in this case, with the Konoha shinobi. There was talking about Cloud's new Raikage, the previous one having died a few years ago, so new was a relative term. A day had passed since they had left the small enclave in the desert and nearly half of this day was gone when the convoy stopped in light of the sun and heat.
 
Part way through the small lunch they troupe was having, Naruto's head suddenly picked up and his eyes immediately snapped back towards Suna. Sasuke and Jiraiya recognized the sign of a marked kunai being thrown, though they didn't know how Suna seemed to get their hands on one. In reality, Naruto had given both Gaara and Yugito a hiraishin kunai that they were to throw if they were ever in need of help or if they ran into Akatsuki. Obviously Gaara was being visited by the organization and either needed help or had pressing information.
 
“Akatsuki's after Gaara - I'm taking Sakura - watch out for another attack.” His words were very tense and spoken very rapidly and before anyone had realized it, the all but promoted chuunin had grabbed the young medic by her arm and began to sprint off into the desert back towards Suna. What the assembled group couldn't see, was the concentration that spread over Naruto's face as black sand began to seemingly appear from nowhere and form a tunnel of coils before obscuring the two retreating figures from view in a shell of iron and then shooting off towards the village at a steep trajectory.
 
By creating a magnetic field in the coils, Naruto was able to pull a projectile made of the iron sand to the center of a coil and then switch it off, before pulling the projectile to the next coil. He had created a coil gun, which was very useful for throwing weapons, but here he had used it to create a much faster way of travel for the two ninja, one of which was still in shock from the experience.
 
“Sakura, there are S-ranked criminals attempting to abduct Gaara, and I need you to help out when we get injured.”
 
Sakura instantly knew how serious the situation was, never before had Naruto alluded to the fact that he would assuredly sustain injury from a fight, the boy always left some room in his wording, lest he become injured.
 
“But…but…S-rank? We can't handle S-rank criminals! They're nearly Kage level!” Sakura tried arguing with her abductor/teammate, but was overruled considering that they were already hurtling back to Sunagakure.
 
“Probably not, but then again, we don't have a choice. These guys are after Gaara and Yugito and sooner or later they'll be after me, so we decided we'd band together and help each other.”
 
The medic just nodded not entirely sure of the connection between the three, but she realized that it must be serious if three ninja as strong as Naruto and Gaara were being hunted. She watched as a small hole appeared in their sphere of metal and the ground began to quickly approach. Her eye's widened as their carrier plummeted towards the sand below but was amazed as the speed began to slowly drop, until she felt their downward speed stop completely, just before they were pulled through another series of coils.
 
“How much longer do you think this'll take?” Sakura turned and asked her teammate, hoping for a short reply as her stomach couldn't take much more acceleration. But as her head turned, it wasn't her teammate that she saw, at least as she knew him. The boy standing with her in the steel cocoon was far more determined than she had ever seen him and had a glint in his dark eyes that was foreign to her. The most puzzling change was that he had just finished tying his new Suna head band to his forehead, removing his worn Leaf symbol and placing it in his pocket. The cloth was a dark red as opposed to the usual black or blue and although it didn't stand out much, to the citizens of Suna, it marked him as an honorary ninja, one who had the friendship and support of the Kazekage.
 
“It'll still be a little bit, at least another couple hours.” He saw her eyes sweep upward to his new accessory and answered the question before she asked it. “Gaara asked me to become an honorary Suna shinobi…turns out that my father was one, so I'm automatically a citizen.”
 
Now, Sakura was never dumb by any standard, so it was only natural that she figured out Naruto's secret.
 
“Sandaime Kazekage is your father…isn't he? I remember, during the first chuunin exams, your mom told me that she thought the satetsu was part of you, even before you were born…I guess I just never put that together until now.” The only confirmation she got was a nod before she felt the bottom of her stomach fall with her descent again.
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA