Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ None the Wiser ❯ Not a Fish ( Prologue )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: None the Wiser
Author: The Uke Reformation
Genre: Naruto
Subgenre: Romance/Drama
Summary: There are some things not meant to be said. There are some pasts that you cannot escape. Some people that will always hunt you down. And every once in a while, there are special students that reward you for all your teaching... SasuNaru, yaoi
Rated: Y for Young Adult for mature language and themes, graphic sex, graphic violence, and drug and alcohol use.
Author's Note: Originally posted on the fifth of August this year, on fanfiction(dot)net, this series is one of the best I've ever written. Don't let the teasing whorishness of the prologue get to you...it's better than it looks. (Chapters 1-3, and 6 are self-BETAd; all the rest are BETAd courtesy of my dear friend Mitsu Katana-chan.)
Note: Yaoi. If you don't like it, don't read it. Pure and simple. Flames are a waste of both your time and mine. -bows- Thankyou for your consideration.
Disclaimer:Copyright The Uke Reformation, 2005. All rights reserved.

None the Wiser
by The Uke Reformation

Prologue
"Stick my head underwater
and you'll know I'm not a fish."
Uzumaki Naruto hated preparations. Just in general, he liked to have things jump out and surprise him, rather than be predictable. People were predictable. And he didn't much care for most people, nor did they care much for him, which was as predictable and boring as anything possibly could be.
He just hated being prepared. He liked the feeling of being caught unawares. Iruka had always said he was good on his feet. It's one of the things that made him such a good educator. Kids could actually throw real questions at him that weren't just text book humor and he'd actually know the answer, and be able to show it to them in a way they understood. It was one of the things that made him so popular among his students, although their parents were always predictable sticklers who bristled in his presence. He liked kids their age. They were at their peak of unpredictability in his class. And he knew it. And he liked it. He liked it quite a bit.
He was constantly late. He almost never attended meetings. He gave assignments sporadically, and almost never used the text books that were issued him, always telling his kids that it was probably worth something in Taiwan, but nothing to him. He showed movies often. He barely covered all of the state standards, but always taught his pupils more than they had ever learned in school since they were in kindergarten. He was loud. He was constantly in motion. He knew more things about his fellow teachers than their spouses ever would. He left every direct communication line available to him open to his students. Telephone, e-mail, pager, even instant messaging.
He had dedicated his life to them. It kept him busy. Happy. Unpredictable. And hard to find. It was a good life. A fast-paced, drama-filled life that consisted of his ninth grade history classes and nothing else. He made time for no one but them. They were the only thing that was important. Relationships didn't matter. (Who did he have to relate to, anyway?) An alternative social life was of no consequence. His only desire was to make sure his students were happy. Sometimes they transformed from students into lifetime friends and associates.
There were no dreams of a house. Of a family. Of another person to make him feel more complete. He had never felt complete, in the first place. So he wasn't going to depend on any one else to help him feel it, then take it away again. That was so predictable. No. He was happy, missing meetings, tutoring on the weekends, coming in early and still being late to hall duty. He was glad to do it. He was more than content to live this life, in a small apartment that counted as less of a home to him then his linoleum-tile classroom on the ground floor of Konohagakure High School.
So long as he could avoid the Ghosts, he figured he would be alright. And he was safe, anyway. They wouldn't find him ever again. And he would never, ever, be forced to go through all that a second time.
But there were some things that nothing could prepare you for, and being caught off your guard was nearly as bad as being warned previously. There were some things that were too much for any amount of people in one situation to handle. Sad as it was, it was a fact of life. A scary, completely unpredictable, wildly untamed and savage one that drew Uzumaki Naruto in like nothing else.
Uchiha Sasuke definitely fit into that category.

The-Scarecrow signed on at 11:33:05 PM.
BANGUZUMAKI signed on at 11:35:22 PM.
The-Scarecrow: You're on late.
BANGUZUMAKI: could sy the same for u
The-Scarecrow: Insomnia again?
BANGUZUMAKI: exitemnt mor like
The-Scarecrow: You always were a bouncy one.
BANGUZUMAKI: nd u were alwys lazy nd annoying
The-Scarecrow: So hostile.
BANGUZUMAKI: o shut up
The-Scarecrow: I never said bounciness was a bad thing.
BANGUZUMAKI: pervert
The-Scarecrow: Your accusations burn me through.
BANGUZUMAKI: my apologes
The-Scarecrow: "Apologies".
BANGUZUMAKI: w/e
The-Scarecrow: You really are excited, aren't you?
BANGUZUMAKI: yup
The-Scarecrow: You'd better get some sleep then.
BANGUZUMAKI: D:
BANGUZUMAKI: cmon
BANGUZUMAKI: just a littl latr
The-Scarecrow: Fine, fine.
BANGUZUMAKI: yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
The-Scarecrow: What're you looking forward to most?
BANGUZUMAKI: my room
BANGUZUMAKI: imiss it
The-Scarecrow: Seen any of your students lately?
BANGUZUMAKI: lee nd tenten came by teh other day
The-Scarecrow: And Neji?
BANGUZUMAKI: keeping his distance heh
BANGUZUMAKI: what about u
The-Scarecrow: You know I never get as attached as you.
BANGUZUMAKI: yeah
The-Scarecrow: I met with Lee and TenTen as well, actually.
BANGUZUMAKI: really
The-Scarecrow: Would I lie to you?
BANGUZUMAKI: yes
The-Scarecrow: Hm...I suppose I would.
BANGUZUMAKI: i miss em
The-Scarecrow: An excellent pair of students.
BANGUZUMAKI: wonder if we'll get n e like em this yr
The-Scarecrow: You never know.
BANGUZUMAKI: did u go tu registratin
The-Scarecrow: "Registration"; And the answer is yes.
BANGUZUMAKI: wut do u think
The-Scarecrow: I think it looks promising.
BANGUZUMAKI: heh
BANGUZUMAKI: good
The-Scarecrow: Have you eaten dinner yet?
BANGUZUMAKI: yea
The-Scarecrow: Ramen, I suppose?
BANGUZUMAKI: best sutff in the wrld
BANGUZUMAKI: stuff
The-Scarecrow: You'll give yourself cancer.
BANGUZUMAKI: will not thats only maruchan
The-Scarecrow: Not true. Most, if not all microwaveable ramen causes cancer.
BANGUZUMAKI: dont care n e ways
BANGUZUMAKI: i like it
The-Scarecrow: Obviously. Any fruit?
BANGUZUMAKI: no
BANGUZUMAKI: ill go get sum
BANGUZUMAKI: brb
BANGUZUMAKI is away at 11:45:57 PM.
BANGUZUMAKI returned at 12:00:37 AM.
The-Scarecrow: What did you get?
BANGUZUMAKI: think im gunna go tu bed
BANGUZUMAKI: sum grapes
The-Scarecrow: Good. To bed with you then.
BANGUZUMAKI: kay
BANGUZUMAKI: nite
The-Scarecrow: Oyasuminasai.
BANGUZUMAKI signed off at 12:01:04 AM.

End of Prologue
I plan to edit the next chapter and then put it out as well. Reviews are very much appreciated but not entirely necessary, seeing as I'll be putting out chapters much more quickly than I normally would. (They are all written afterall...I just want to proofread them for good measure.) I just hope you like it...I'll try to get the next one up ASAP.
--Lady Lamb