Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Since When Are There Two Potters? ❯ Chapter 12 ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't suddenly own Naruto or Harry Potter.
 
Chapter 12
 
 
Harry looked around his improvised campsite and nodded to himself, it was as good as it was going to get. He had claimed one of the larger caves and then subjected it to just about every cleaning charm he knew, the place had been filthy after all and he didn't want to run the risk of that filth causing one of his guests wounds to become infected. He had dug a good-sized pit for a fire and rimmed it with stones and a containment spell, just in case. Warming charms had taken the chill from the air and he had set up some torches to provide even more light. He had also set up some wards around the area as well as several powerful notice-me-not and silencing spells to lower the risk of being found. Once that was done he levitated the man into the cave and placed him into his own sleeping bag, being careful not to jar his injuries. Once done Harry slipped from the cave to hunt, he hadn't brought enough food for two people and what he had wouldn't last long.
 
------------------
Kakashi could feel consciousness returning slowly. He remained perfectly still, without changing his breathing even as he automatically began cataloguing the information his senses were sending him. The air was warm but lacked the smells of a hospital or cell and he could smell cooking meat, he could hear a fire crackling nearby and he seemed to be lying on the ground in a sleeping bag. He tried sorting through his memories next but they were jumbled. He'd been on a mission, that much he knew but what had happened? Where was he and who was with him? He could feel the lingering pain of injuries and knew that he wasn't up for a prolonged fight if he was in enemy hands. He tensed slightly as he sensed movement nearby but continued to fake unconsciousness. He didn't even move as he felt warms hands on his forehead, obviously checking for fever. The hands were gentle but calloused though not in the pattern usual for a shinobi. From the hands and the person's scent he gathered the person was a he. The hands moved away for a few seconds before one returned to cradle the back of his head and raise it. He felt a canteen being pressed to his lips and then cool, refreshing water was slipping into his mouth. Kakashi swallowed on instinct and then mentally berated himself; there could have been poison or some sort of truth serum in it. He heard a soft sigh from his companion and then the man shifted so that he was sitting next to him, he could feel the heat from his body.
 
“Please wake up soon. I don't know what else to do for you.” The voice was warm with concern but quiet. Kakashi let himself stir slightly as if he were just beginning to wake; he wouldn't learn anything else feigning unconsciousness. The movement sent a spike of pain through his body and he groaned. The hands were back, this time gently restraining him.
“Easy, its okay, you're safe. Just take it slow and don't try to move around, you took quite the beating.” Kakashi struggled and finally managed to crack open his eye, relieved to find that the other one was still covered. He blinked and finally his companion came into focus. The first thing he noticed were the intense yet warm green eyes, a shade of green he'd never seen on a human before. Next was the odd scar adorning the mans forehead and then the messy black hair. What was surprising was the warm, relieved smile on the mans face.
“Glad to see you awake, I was getting worried your injuries were more serious than they seemed.”
 
“What?” Okay so maybe that wasn't the most coherent thing to say but he was confused. His question earnt a warm chuckle from the other man.
 
“My name's Harry, I found you three days ago. You were the only survivor of what looked like a battle between you and your companions and some shinobi from Cloud. We are currently in some caves about four days walk from there. I burnt the bodies of your fellow Leaf nins, I know enough to know you don't like your bodies falling into the hands of the other villages and someone has taken the other bodies since.” Harry fell silent while Kakashi absorbed what he'd been told so far. Kakashi continued to stare at the man that had apparently saved his life. From the feel of his body he'd be dead if Harry hadn't found him but what was the other man doing out here? He couldn't trust Harry, no matter how genuine he appeared, shinobi were trained from childhood to deceive after all. Kakashi tried to push himself into a sitting position but his body didn't want to cooperate. Seeing the problem Harry slowly helped him sit up, being careful not to make any sudden moves or ones that could be taken as a threat.
“Think you can keep something down if you eat?”
 
“Yeah.” Kakashi answered and watched as Harry moved to the fire where two rabbits were roasting nicely. Harry quickly finished preparing them, keeping the food in sight all the time. He handed a plate to Kakashi and sat beside him as he began to slowly eat. Kakashi was surprised to realise that his mask was still in place. He raised his hand to it and looked at Harry who shrugged.
 
“I only moved it enough so that I could get some liquids into you. Figured if you're wearing it then it's for a reason and that I shouldn't look. Need anything else or do you want to get some sleep?”
 
“I need…” Harry tilted his head and then blushed slightly.
 
“Right, come on then.” They managed to get through the experience without too much embarrassment and then Kakashi was settled back into the sleeping bag. Kakashi watched as Harry moved around the cave, obviously securing it for the night with the ease of someone who did it on a regular basis. Harry looked over at him, obviously feeling him watching, and smiled slightly.
“Go to sleep, you're body needs it to heal. I'm not sure how long this area will be safe for you once they work out what happened back there.” Kakashi nodded and tried to get comfortable.
 
“Why are you helping me? You're betraying your country.” Harry chuckled slightly.
 
“My only loyalty is to my family and those who have earnt it. Besides, after only three months I doubt this could be called my country. You needed help and I was in a position to give it, nothing more or less. Now get some sleep.” Kakashi blinked, feeling sleep stealing over him and was soon out cold.
 
Harry smiled at the sleeping man, relieved that his subtle spell had worked. He had spoken the truth; his guest did need sleep to heal. Harry finished securing the cave and then shifted to his wolf form before curling up beside the shinobi for the night.
 
----------------------
Kakashi watched Harry from his position leaning against the far wall of the cave. It had been two days since he had first woken and he could feel the improvement in his health. He was still suspicious of Harry and his motives but so far the other man had only tried to help him. He watched as Harry frowned and started muttering under his breath, searching his pack for something, it made a rather amusing scene actually.
 
“Lose something?” Harry jumped, startled since Kakashi had barely said a word to him in the last two days.
 
“Huh? Oh, no. Just trying to find some paper.” Harry went back to searching.
 
“Paper?”
 
“I was meant to be home tomorrow but there is no way you're up to being left so I need to send my brother a note so he doesn't worry.” Kakashi stiffened and Harry glanced up, having sensed the movement.
“He needs to know that I found a really great herb field but on my last day. It'll take at least another week for me to explore properly and gather what I want.” Kakashi stared at him in disbelief.
“Of course knowing my little brother he'll see straight through that and realise that something's going on but he will keep quiet. But it gives him something to tell Maya.”
 
“Maya?” Kakashi asked, he hadn't named his brother but had named the woman.
 
“Cloud jounin who's keeping an eye on him for me. Poor woman's probably about ready to pull her hair out by now, he can be a bit of a handful, especially when he knows I won't be around to settle him.” Harry smiled fondly and Kakashi nodded. He could hear the genuine love in the other mans voice when he mentioned his brother.
 
“So you live in Cloud.”
 
“At the moment. Doubt we'll be there much longer though. Something about the place just puts me on edge.” Harry shrugged as he finally found some paper and scribbled the note for his brother. Kakashi figured learning more about Harry would be a good idea.
 
“How old is the kid?” Harry looked over at him as if to judge his intentions before answering.
 
“Eleven, well if you ask him he's eleven and a half.”
 
“Bit of an age difference.”
 
“Thirteen years.” Harry looked at him again as he finished the note and then moved to sit beside him.
“He's not actually my brother. He was two when I found him on my doorstep. Ever tried raising a kid when you're barely fifteen yourself? He adopted me. I'd never really had a family before and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything now. I'm just grateful he came toilet trained. I adopted him once the search for his parents came up empty so technically I'm his father but I prefer him seeing me as his brother.” Kakashi's opinion of Harry went up several notches, he couldn't imagine taking some strange kid in and raising it.
“We're actually trying to find his family, that's how we ended up in Cloud and why we'll be moving on soon. He knows that its very possible they're dead but there are things I can't answer, things only a family member can.” Kakashi nodded, letting Harry talk.
 
“Did you name him or did he know his name?” Despite himself Kakashi was being drawn into the story. He knew that if the boy had known his name it would increase the chances of finding his birth family.
 
“He knew his first name but not his family one. No offence meant if I don't tell you.” Kakashi chuckled and nodded. It was understandable, Harry may have saved his life but they were still strangers and he hadn't really told Kakashi anything that would be incredibly useful.
“He's a great kid, very intelligent and a fast study. He's a lot quieter now then he used to be but he's getting better.” Harry froze suddenly, realising he'd relaxed a little too much and had let slip something he shouldn't have. Kakashi noticed instantly and had to think about what to do. Obviously something had happened to make the kid change but was it something he should ask about?
“Do you have any kids?” Kakashi let out a snort of surprise and Harry smiled slightly.
“I'll take that as a no then.”
 
“I'm not very good with kids. Never really was one myself.” To his surprise Harry nodded in understanding, eyes shadowed with memories he had the feeling Harry would rather forget. Kakashi suddenly tensed as he detected movement outside the cave.
 
“Relax, its just Hedwig.” Harry said and then raised his arm. A white blur shot into the cave to settle on the raised limb. Kakashi watched as Harry stroked the white feathers before tying the note to the owl's leg.
“Take this to Sa…my brother. Don't be seen, okay girl?” The owl hooted and nipped his fingers before taking off again.
 
---------------------
Sasuke stared out the window, bored out of his mind. Maya had had to leave for a mission so he was alone in the apartment. He'd already finished his studies for the day and he didn't feel like reading anymore. He smiled as he saw the white blur approaching, opening the window to let her back in.
 
“Hey Hedwig, have a good hunt?” He asked, petting the owl. Hedwig hooted softly and then held her leg out. Sasuke grinned and took the note; maybe nii-san was already on his way home. The grin faded as he read, he wouldn't be home for another week and couldn't say why. He frowned, suddenly worried. He'd overheard Maya the other day talking about a battlefield being found. Had Harry been involved somehow? Hedwig hooted again and nipped him gently. He got up and carried her to her perch before going to refill her water dish.
“Was nii-san okay Hedwig?” The owl nodded and then drank her water. Sasuke relaxed, Hedwig always knew if Harry was actually okay or just pretending. She was the smartest owl he'd ever heard of or seen.
 
TBC…