Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Since When Are There Two Potters? ❯ Chapter 21 ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still don't own them.
 
Chapter 21
 
 
Orochimaru stared at the dark haired man opposite him. While he wore no hitai-ate he did carry a sword and had somehow stopped him from leaving the area, that made him both interesting and an unknown threat. He dodged as his one time student attacked, easily blocking her attacks. It became harder when Kakashi and Gai joined her, their strange companion keeping his distance for now but that didn't stop the strange attacks he threw whenever he got an opening.
 
Harry watched the fight closely, throwing the occasional curse whenever he got an opening but otherwise staying back. He needed to get an idea of just what this opponent was capable of. He was good, very good, and far above the level of any of his three attackers. Even combined they weren't doing much damage. He blanched as Orochimaru regurgitated a sword before going after the downed Anko.
 
Orochimaru actually blinked in surprise as a sword blocked his. The weapon's wielder was the unknown man and he found himself staring into cold green eyes.
 
“You alright?”
 
“Fine.” Anko answered, getting up. Orochimaru was surprised to find himself pushed back, the stranger going on the attack. He was good, very good.
 
“Who are you?” He demanded and the stranger smirked.
 
“Just someone experienced in killing immortality seeking snakes.” Was the answer. Not liking the way the fight was going he summoned Manda. The gigantic serpent took one look at the man and the sword he held and then looked at Orochimaru.
 
“Nothing would make fighting the Galdor Seregon worth it. You're on your own.” With that the serpent vanished leaving behind a shocked group.
 
“Kill a basilisk and suddenly no snake will fight you, go figure.” Harry commented flippantly though he was curious as to how the serpent had known that name. Snake grapevine? He shifted slightly since everyone was staring at him.
“What? It was me or the snake and since it was trying to kill a lot of other people too I killed it.” Harry shrugged and received looks of utter disbelief for his troubles.
“So are we fighting or what?” Orochimaru glared at him and then attacked but Harry dodged, lashing out with pure magic. To his annoyance and utter frustration the body in front of him simply melted into a puddle of mud. But that annoyance turned to horror as a figure rose up from the ground behind Kakashi who was already turning but too slowly.
“KAKASHI!” He screamed throwing out a hand and with it all the magic he could gather but it was too late. He snarled as a bloodied blade emerged from his friends' stomach, launching himself towards the snake sannin, his body shifting in mid air so that it was a large pitch-black wolf that collided with the man. His powerful jaws snapped shut around the pale man's throat but once again the body simply melted away and Harry forced himself to change back, rushing to Kakashi's side. Shaking hands probed the wound even as he fought tears.
 
Anko and Gai could only watch in horror as Kakashi collapsed but that horror turned to stunned disbelief as the man they had been fighting alongside of changed into a huge wolf and viciously attacked Orochimaru. That was no henge but it was impossible for a human to turn into an animal, wasn't it? Harry's frantic checking of Kakashi's wound finally made them move.
 
“Just hold still, you're going to be fine.” Harry told the gasping man. Kakashi was extremely pale and sweating heavily, obviously fighting the urge to scream from the pain.
 
“Orochimaru's blade is poisoned, we need to get him to the med-nins or he'll die.” Harry ignored Anko, closing his eyes and reaching out with his magic. He found the poison easily enough and growled softly at how quickly it had spread through the ninja's body.
 
“He won't make it there.” He stated before concentrating on the wound again. If he could stop the poison from spreading then Kakashi would have a chance and he refused to let another person he cared for die. He blinked back to the real world as something brushed his hand. Looking down he saw Kakashi's gloved hand weakly trying to grasp his. He took hold of Kakashi's hand and gave it a comforting squeeze.
“I won't let you die.” He promised and Kakashi managed a choked laugh before coughing up some blood.
 
“Don't make promises…can't keep.” Kakashi managed to say.
“Sorry…making you mad…not warning.” Kakashi gasped and Harry frowned, pouring more healing magic into the wound, calling up what little earth magic he could use to aide him.
 
“Save your strength Kakashi. I shouldn't have yelled at you.” Harry said sadly, forcing more and more power into the wound, the poison was slowly beginning to halt its progression but it was doing so too slowly. Harry was aware that Gai was gone, obviously to get help and that Anko was hovering nearby but that wasn't important. As much as he wanted to kill Kakashi or at least seriously maim him half the time he cared for the ninja and he was going to do everything in his power to make sure he lived.
 
“Doesn't matter…cute when you yell.” Harry blinked and then smiled, realising Kakashi was delirious. He tossed a glare Anko's way when she giggled though. Figuring he probably wouldn't remember any of this later he moved so that his lips were near Kakashi's ear.
 
“Well you're hot without that mask on.” He told the injured man, getting a pained laugh.
 
“Now you...tell me.” He gasped. Harry sent another surge of magic through him and relaxed a bit, the poison had almost been stopped.
 
“If you want we can talk more about it later.” Harry assured him, smiling down at him. Kakashi's free hand came up to brush Harry's cheek shakily.
 
“Should have…said…earlier.” Kakashi's hand dropped and his eyes shut. Anko gasped and moved closer but Harry just smiled at her.
 
“It's okay, he's just unconscious. I've managed to stop the poison so he'll live.”
 
“Good to know. So you and Kakashi huh?” She smirked and Harry blushed.
 
“I don't know. I like him and he is definitely good looking without the mask on but I've never…I grew up number one on a madman's hit list. I never let myself get close like that to anyone for fear he'd kill them. Am I attracted to him? Yes. But more? I don't know. How do you tell?” Harry said distantly, not really paying attention to what he was saying.
 
“You're asking the wrong person Potter.” Anko told him, hand suddenly going to her weapons before she relaxed as a medical team arrived, quickly loading Kakashi onto a stretcher.
 
“Anyone else hurt?” One of the medics asked and they both shook their heads. With that the medics left.
 
“We should get back and report to the Hokage.” Anko said and Harry nodded, took a step and promptly passed out. Anko lunged, barely managing to catch him before he hit the ground.
“Not injured sure but you could have mentioned exhausted.” She muttered as she lifted him and set off for the hospital.
 
----------------------------
He groaned and tried to bury his head under his pillow only to throw himself from the bed and into a defensive crouch at the sound of a low chuckle. Looking around Harry blushed as he realised he was in the hospital and it had been Sarutobi chuckling. He stood and moved back to the bed, body telling him just how much of a bad idea his swift movements had been.
 
“What happened?” He asked as he made himself comfortable. Then his eyes widened.
“Kakashi! Is he?”
 
“He's healing well although still unconscious. You saved his life and for that I am grateful.”
 
“I couldn't let him die. I've seen too much death to ever want to see it again. Though if I ever see Orochimaru again I'll gladly rip his throat out.” Harry growled, reminding Sarutobi very much of the wolf Anko and Gai had said Harry had become.
 
“As much as I hate to say it you may get that chance.” Sandaime said sadly.
 
“Do you know why he was in the forest?”
 
“It appears he is after one of our genins, a boy named Hyuuga Neji. His team was just past your brothers when you spotted Orochimaru on the map.”
 
“So he wasn't going after them.” Harry felt only utter relief at that. He had come to like Sasuke's teammates since coming to Konoha and the thought that that snake was after either of them or his brother…
 
“No. However while we may have lost his trail for now I do not doubt he is still here. Once you have recovered I hope you will be attending the rest of the exams?” Harry nodded, already checking his body for injuries.
 
“I'll be fine by tomorrow.”
 
“Good the preliminaries for the third exams start tomorrow. Would you be willing to stand in for Kakashi as Team 7's sensei since technically the preliminaries aren't open to the public?”
 
“Sure. Can I see him?”
 
“Once the doctor has seen you I'm sure it can be arranged.” Sarutobi stood and left, allowing the doctor to exam Harry, not that it did much good since they knew nothing of magical exhaustion or how to treat it.
 
------------------------------
Harry looked down at the pale man on the bed and then closed his eyes. How close had he come to loosing his best friend in the shinobi world had only just truly hit him. No matter what his mixed up feelings were Kakashi was the closest friend he had and the thought of losing him hurt almost as much as that of losing Sasuke. He gently grasped a limp hand and squeezed it gently.
 
“You just worry about healing Kashi, I'll look after the kids till you're better. By the time I'm done with them they'll be begging you to come back.” He let go of Kakashi's hand and adjusted the blankets carefully since one had begun slipping down and then left the room. It was time for the preliminaries to begin.
 
TBC…
According to the elvish name generator site Galdor Seregon  means storm wolf