Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Since When Are There Two Potters? ❯ Chapter 23 ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I own nothing!
 
Chapter 23
 
“Ready to ditch this place?” Came an amused voice from the door and Kakashi smiled as he turned to see Harry leaning against the wall. It didn't really bother him that he hadn't sensed the other mans presence, he'd learnt a while ago that unless Harry wanted you to know he was there you wouldn't. He motioned for Harry to come further into the room as he carefully swung his legs over the edge of the bed in preparation of standing up, he hoped. Harry watched him like a hawk as he slowly put his feet to the ground and stood up. The wizard grabbed his arm to steady him as he swayed dangerously before summoning the crutches that had been against the far wall.
“As much as you may hate it I think you're going to need them.” He said softly, knowing Kakashi would hate the handicap and display of weakness.
“Will you be okay in the shower?”
 
“Yeah, I'll yell if I need help, I promise.” Kakashi said before Harry could make him, he knew Harry turned into a mother hen whenever anyone he cared for was hurt; he'd been bad enough back in the cave.
“So why aren't you with the kids?” He asked as he moved slowly towards the bathroom.
 
“The boys are on finishing getting ready and Sakura is already on her way to the arena with Ino. Figured I'd escort you there to make sure you're on time.” Harry grinned at the affronted look that earned him.
“She said she'd save us seats.”
 
---------------------
“Yo.” The two girls turned and Sakura smiled.
 
“Kakashi-sensei you're up! Here we saved you seats you should sit down.” Sakura and Ino moved across letting the two men take their seats.
“Are you okay?”
 
“I'm fine Sakura. I'll be on crutches for a while yet but other than that I'm good.”
 
“Does that mean Harry-san will be our sensei for a while longer?”
 
“Probably, though I can sit in on your training once I'm fully discharged from the hospital, they only let me out for the exams.” Kakashi explained. Sakura nodded and turned her attention back to the arena floor where Naruto and Neji were getting ready for their match. Harry smiled as the match began and Naruto remained a lot calmer than usual. It had been hard but the blonde had finally gotten the hang of meditation and they'd even begun with a non-magical version of Occlumency.
 
Kakashi watched Naruto as he fought the Hyuuga genius in awe. The blonde had grown a lot under Harry and Jiriaya's tutelage, much moire than he had under his own. He leant forward in his seat as Naruto used his signature jutsu to test Neji's abilities. He had the feeling that Naruto was going to shock everyone today and make them see that he wasn't the demon but a loyal ninja of Konoha and a powerful one at that. It wouldn't surprise him if the final fight was between Naruto and Sasuke though he was worried about the youngest Potter having to face this Gaara boy. Gai had told him a bit of Lee's fight with him and that had him worried. He looked up as Gai and Lee walked down the stairs towards them, Lee also on crutches. Seeing that Harry stood and gave his seat to the teen who protested before Harry gently pressed him down onto it.
 
“It is good to see you out of hospital eternal rival!”
 
“Hmm?” Harry smothered a laugh as Gai went into a rant about Kakashi's `hip' attitude, turning his attention back to the fight. He smiled as Naruto constantly pulled moves that left the Hyuuga on the defensive. But then he bit back a wince as Neji launched into an attack the likes of which he'd never seen before. Harry's hands balled into fists as he watched Naruto crumple to the ground and he nearly jumped as Gai placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.
 
“Please be okay.” He whispered and smiled in relief as the blonde staggered to his feet, obviously shocking his opponent and several other Hyuuga in the audience. But the smile turned to a frown as he saw the red chakra surround the boy.
“Is that?” He saw Kakashi nod slightly in answer to his question and swallowed. What had Jiriaya been teaching him? If it was to use the demon's power they would be having words. To rely on power given by such a creature, it was a double-edged sword and it made him worry. He watched as the two boys clashed with Naruto finally winning, smiling at the boys enthusiasm as the crowd cheered. But his smile faded as the arena was cleared and the next match called.
 
------------------------
Sasuke stared at his opponent and couldn't help but feel a flash of fear before falling back on his mental training. He knew he was in for the toughest fight of his life so far but he also knew that if things got too bad he could forfeit and the ref, a different one this time, would step in. He only hoped things wouldn't get that bad. He quickly called up the same shield he'd used in the last match and drew it in so that it rested just above his skin. He'd seen what the sand had done to Lee and had no desire to suffer the same fate. His hand slipped down to his kunai holster as the ref looked between them, checking that they were ready and then the match began.
 
Sasuke jumped back as sand crashed down where he had been standing. He threw his shuriken and watched as the sand absorbed them before flinging them back. Running through the seals quickly he used a low-level katon jutsu to test the sands strength but it didn't seem to do anything. Which meant he either needed to use an incredibly powerful one or fire wouldn't work on the sand. Maybe suiton? If the sand were wet enough it would be a lot slower. Only problem was there was no water…or was there? He threw himself into a back flip and then continued to move, getting more distance between them. Stretching out his senses downward he smiled as he found what he was looking for. Far beneath them was a natural reservoir and a fairly good sized one too. All he needed to do was bring it closer to the surface. But to do so would drain him considerably so far now it would be left as a last ditch effort.
 
-------------------------------
“Be careful Sasuke-kun.” Sakura whispered. Kakashi looked at her and smiled.
 
“I'm sure he'll be fine. You three trained a lot this last month and he's a smart boy.” She smiled at Kakashi's reassurance. Harry heard them and looked over with a smile of his own although Kakashi could tell he was nervous too.
 
“Don't worry, my brother has several tricks up his sleeves, he'll be okay.” He may not win but he would survive. If it came down to it Harry knew Sasuke would simply transport himself from the arena to safety. Hopefully. Harry's hand slipped into his pocket, fingering the object there. He just didn't feel comfortable with it and had not wanted to accept but he had insisted.
 
Flashback
 
“You wished to see me Hokage-sama?”
 
“Yes. Please sit Harry-san. How goes the training?” Harry sat in the indicated chair but didn't relax; he had no clue why the Hokage had wanted to see him.
 
“They're all doing well. Though I'm getting rather sick of having to drag Jiriaya away from the women's baths.” Sarutobi chuckled at that.
 
“Jiriaya has always done that and I doubt he'll ever change.”
 
“Forgive me sir but is there a reason you wanted to see me? I need to get back to the kids.”
 
“Yes there is. I doubt I need to tell you that the odds Orochimaru has simply left are incredibly slim.”
 
“Of course. There is something here that he wants and he doesn't seem the type to give up very easily.” Harry agreed.
 
“We have of course increased security but I fear it will not be enough. That is why I want you to take this.” Harry blinked, staring in shock at the band of blue cloth the Hokage was holding out to him.
 
“But I'm not a ninja.” He said, trying not to show how bewildered he was.
 
“Perhaps not in the traditional sense but you would not be the first who does not use chakra, take young Rock Lee for example. A have a very bad feeling about what is coming, I fear that whatever it is I will not survive. Konoha needs every warrior she can get. You are more comfortable working from the shadows than in the open but I feel you will soon have no choice. Take it, at least to show your loyalty to Konoha. I would not like to see you attacked by our own ninja in the heat of battle simply because you do not wear the village symbol.” Ever so slowly Harry extended his own hand.
 
End Flashback
 
Harry absently rubbed his fingers across the smooth metal plate. He did not feel comfortable wearing the hitai-sat, he didn't believe he had earned it but if a battle started he would if just to avoid friendly fire.
 
Harry watched as Sasuke continued to test Gaara's defences while dodging his attacks. Harry had approached Gai during the training period for tips on building Sasuke's speed and they had definitely helped. He winced as a shot got through Sasuke's defences and sent him tumbling across the ground. His shield would have absorbed a lot of the impact but it still would have hurt. The teen pushed himself to his feet and then threw himself out of the way of another attack.
 
Sasuke frowned as he dodged another attack. The sand was speeding up, making it harder and harder to dodge and none of his attacks had done anything. His shield wouldn't last much longer either if he kept getting hit the way he was. He tapped his chakra and merged it with his small magic reserve, using it to increase his speed again. Without thinking he pushed some towards his eyes.
 
Harry frowned as gasps rang out through the stadium. Sasuke had his back to him so he couldn't see what had caused the reaction but he paled as the whispers reached him.
 
Sharingan.
 
TBC…