Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ 'What If...' Kaji Hadn't Died? ❯ The Almighty Crutches ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

`What if…' Kaji Hadn't Died?

By: Byakko of the West

Chapter 2

One by one, the eyes of Kaji Ryougi opened to look up at an unknown ceiling (A/N: No, he doesn't have three or more eyes, you bakas). Light shone in through a window nearby, lighting up the room, brightening the colors. He slowly began to sit up, after remembering where he was and what had happened. With only two winces, he successfully sat up, the sheets of his old lover's bed falling to his waist. Swinging his legs around the edge of his bed, he failed to notice the two bowls of water on the floor that hadn't been picked up yet and his right foot ended up inside the chilly water of one of them.

"You shouldn't be moving." A voice reasoned from the doorway in an irritated voice. He turned his head to see none other than Misato Katsuragi, the owner of the room he had slept in.

Smiling, he remained where he was, sitting on the edge of her bed. "I know. I just wanted to see if I could move around without hurting." He told her, placing his hands on the edge and leaning back.

"And…can you?" she asked as she walked over towards him.

He waited until she sat down next to him. "Somewhat. I haven't tried to stand up yet. I still have to remove my feet from the ice cold water." He grinned at her again.

She looked down at his feet then back at him then again at the water before finally understanding why it was there. "Sorry, I guess I forgot to take them out while we were fixing you up." After he removed his feet from the bowl, she took them and placed them on a near by desk then proceeded to wipe of the water from his feet.

"Now, servant, I'd like a back-rub." He teased, looking down at her, getting a clear view down her shirt.

When she was finished, she sat back up, placing an out-of-place strand of hair behind her ear and raised an eyebrow at him. "Maybe later. Right now, breakfast's ready." He gave her a skeptical look. "Don't worry, I didn't cook. Shinji did, he's pretty good too." She told him, holding out a hand to him for help.

He took her offered hand and tried to stand up. Though it wasn't a total failure, he was still slightly unbalanced. "Erm…Misato…about that message…" he started, fearing the worst.

She paused on her way to the door but didn't turn around. "Was it true?" she asked in a whisper.

He nodded, then, seeing that she had her back to him and didn't see it, muttered quietly. "Yeah, though I know you probably won't believe me cause I know I treated you really badly in the past and I'm really sorry for that, you know and I really do love you and I always have but it's alright if you don't feel the same, it's no biggy…" he trailed off when he saw the look in her eyes as she turned around. She was on the verge of tears, a small smile playing on her lips, and she looked like the most angelic thing he ever saw (no pun intended).

She walked up to until she stood only a scant few inches in front of him. Placing one hand on his chest, above his wound, she brought the other around his neck, bringing his head down to meet her. "It matters a lot to me." She whispered before kissing him passionately.

His heart was racing so fast, he thought it would burst. When she released his lips, he regained enough thought to wrap his arms around her petit waist. "Does this mean I'm forgiven?" though he had no idea what he did, he constantly thought that he had done something wrong.

"Forgiven." She said, placing her head on his shoulder, her left arm loosely wrapped around his neck and shoulders while the other held his free hand.

He stroked her violet hair with right hand, squeezing her hand. "When I'm better again, can we start over?"

Sighing happily, she tightened her arm around him. "I'd like that."

Their little moment was interrupted when a knock came from the door before the head of Shinji Ikari popped up. "Um…Misato-san (A/N: does he call her that?), breakfast will get cold if you don't hurry up." He told her.

She removed herself from the arms of Kaji and turned around to smile at the boy. "We'll be right there. Did Ritsuko bring the crutches by yet?" she asked him.

Shinji nodded and retreated back to the living room where the walking-helpers lay. He brought them back to his superior's room where he caught her and Kaji in a heated kiss. Embarrassed at himself for getting only a glimpse, he leaned the crutches against the wall next to the door soundlessly then exited the room, closing the door.

After they separated, she put her forehead against his, closing her eyes blissfully. Without opening them, she asked, "Are your wounds feeling better this morning?"

He nodded, snaking his arms around her waist. "I've been shot before -though not in the chest- so it doesn't faze me that much." He explained seriously, the smirked at her. "So, how about that back-rub you promised?"

Giggling, she unwound herself from his embrace, retrieving the crutches. "One: I didn't promise anything. And two: we need to eat some breakfast first." She handed him the crutches.

Smiling, he took them and placed them under his arms. "Ey, ey, O' Capitaine."

~*~

A/N: My second chapters are never as long as my first ones…well, For the Night is but that doesn't matter. Anyways, like a told you in the first chapter, I'm a new fan of Evangelion so some things may be off and some-or all maybe- of the characters may be OOC. Sorry.

Thank you guys very much. PLZ R&R!!!