Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ 'What If...' Kaji Hadn't Died? ❯ Shopping and Kaji's Gift ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

`What If…' Kaji Hadn't Died?

By: Byakko of the West

Disclaimer: As always, standard disclaimer applies.

Author's Note: After doing some research-also known as google- I found out that Kaji's last name isn't Ryougi like I've been spelling it, it's Ryouji. My bad^_^;;! On with the story!

Chapter 3

(A/N: This is my longest story so far so…Yay! For me!)

"Shinji-kun! Asuka! Time to go!" Misato Katugarashi yelled throughout the household. Kaji Ryouji stood by her side, wincing from her outburst. Their morning had gone by quickly, sharing plenty of kissing and eating a delicious breakfast-courtesy of Shinji Ikari. Misato and the pilots had planned a day off together a few weeks ago. No school, no NERV and, hopefully, no Angel attacks either. And since it wouldn't be right to leave Kaji all alone, he'd go with them.

"Coming!" they heard the voice of Asuka Langley Shoyru come from the living room. A second later, she emerged from the said place, hand-in-hand with Shinji. Kaji turned to Misato for an explanation and she merely shrugged in response.

"Come on, you two lovebirds." Misato teased, opening the door.

~*~

After taking a break from shopping to eat some lunch, Misato had pulled Kaji into a woman's clothing shop while the second and third children went to look at a music store.

She pushed him down into a chair in front of the dressing rooms. "You sit here and tell me how I look, alright?" she spoke while rearranging the clothes in her arms.

He smiled and nodded, leaning back in the chair. "You look b-e-a-utiful." (A/N: copyright of `Bruce Almighty'.^.^)

Not taking his flattering remotely seriously, she simply ignored him and walked into the dressing room.

When she had gone through thirteen dresses, four skirts, nine blouses and quite a few of different jackets, all of which Kaji gave the thumbs up to, she picked a few SHE actually like and they walked to the cash.

While she paid for her purchases, the handicap officer spotted a small shop across the mall. Placing a hand on her shoulder, she turned around to face him.

"Yes?" she asked impatiently.

He smiled. "I'm going to go look at something. I'll be back in five minutes or so." He told her before hopping away on the crutches.

She stared at him for a minute, unblinking before giving her attention back to the cashier.

~*~

"Do you have anything really nice?"

"Depends on your range of price, young man."

Kaji chuckled a little at the older man's words. He looked anything but young, compared to a lot of his peers. `Must be the beer and cigarettes.' He mused to himself. "Price doesn't matter." He told the owner of the small shop.

The gray-haired man smiled and led him to a shelf with different colors, different shapes of the gift Kaji wished to buy for Misato.

"We just got these in a few day ago. They've proven very popular with the ladies." The old man winked.

Smiling, Kaji nodded. "I'll take one, thank you."

~*~

Misato sat on a bench just outside the store she had bought some clothes from, waiting for her once again boyfriend to return from where ever he managed off to. After what felt like forever, the said person came around a corner, grinning like an idiot. She stood up and waited until he was right in front of her, ready to yell at him for going off somewhere without telling her where exactly but stop short when he held out a purple flower, the edges a faint yellow color.

"K-Kaji…?" she asked, confused at his reason for presenting her with such a beautiful gift.

His smile grew. "It's a thank you present for saving my life." He told her

She stared at him for a minute, uncertain, hesitant to take the flower. Then, her heart over took control of her mind and she reached out to take the delicate flower.

And he knew she had taken him back for good at that very moment.

~*~

(A/N: ASUKA AND SHINJI MINOR FLUFF!!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE THIS COUPLE, SKIP AHEAD, YOU'RE NOT MISSING MUCH!!!)

Looking over to her first ever boyfriend, Asuka watched as Shinji looked through different CDs, his smile showing how much he was enjoying himself. It HAD been a while since they could just be themselves and hang out at the mall. She turned her gaze to the shop she had seen Misato and Kaji walk into a while ago and spotted the two of them in a tight embrace. And for some reason, she smiled. Not an evil smile or sad smile but a happy, genuine smile. She looked up to Misato like a mother. The NERV employee took her into her home and taught her many things during the few months she had lived with her and Shinji so it was only natural that she felt happy about her mother figure and father figure being together….again. Now she could maybe have a real family. Though she hardly thought of Shinji as a brother. She was interrupted from her thoughts when a hand was placed on her shoulder. Turning her head around, she wasn't very surprised to see Shinji there, looking at her with curiosity.

He smiled at her, something he was doing a lot more lately. "What are you looking at?" he asked in his soothing voice. (A/N: I think…I've never seen the anime, just read the mangas so I don't know what his voice sounds like. Sorry^_^;;)

She smiled back and he removed his hand from her shoulder only to take her hand in his. "Look at them." She nodded over towards the direction of Misato and Kaji who still held their hug.

He looked over to the direction of which she pointed out and smiled at the scene. "Maybe there'll be little Kaji and Misatos running around soon."

(A/N: I know I'm getting annoying but oh well! Lol! If you've read my other fi `Gohan's Hectic Life' -hint, hint, nudge, nudge- Chi-Chi says that to Videl and Gohan. I think it's a funny line XP!)

Her featured turned from a smile to a disgusted look but he could see that she was joking around. "Are you trying to scar me for life, you hentai-baka?" she teased and got the shock of a lifetime.

He laughed.

And didn't hold back either.

For once, Asuka felt happy.

Whole.

~*~

Ending Author's Notes: Sounds like the end of the story but I don't think it will be. I'm on a roll here! LOL! Anyways, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please -and so on and so forth- REVIEW! I think I'm doing pretty good but I'm not getting very many reviews so I don't know if YOU'RE liking it! T_T