Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ 01 ❯ 01:7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

01:7

*

Disclaimer:I do not own Evangelion or any of the characters they are the property of their respective creators. Please be aware that no profit is being made from this work of fan fiction.

A/N: This was my first Evangelion fiction. Now as I am on my sixth work, presently I thank everyone who supported this story and took the time and effort to review. I now present you with this revised edition, now reformatted to meet the standards I have developed in my newer works and with the grammar (hopefully) sorted out.

Regards,

Hououza

*

Now where the figure of Lilith had once stood now stood an near exact copy of Unit-01, however its armour was a far deeper shade of purple and its right hand it held a warped version of the Lance of Longinus, a dark mockery of the evil weapon

"NOW WITNESS THE END OF MANKIND AND THE WORLD AS YOU KNOW IT!"

The dark Unit-01 charged towards Shinji, blade raised to strike. To either side of them an Eva stood, both units 00 and 02 were silent as they were bound by the will of both Shinjis, neither would they fight nor could they leave. It was if were both in a deep trance from which they could not awaken.

Down in the command centre the remains of the bridge crew watched in horror as the two Evas fought. As the dark lance swept down on him Shinji brought up the true lance to block the strike, his arm shuddering with the sheer force of the blow. It was clear at once, the other Unit-01 was far stronger, created from the flesh of Lilith herself it surpassed the power of the copy

"Shinji!"

Yui tried to scream out to her son, yet if he could hear her he made no indication. Another blow had struck and he had barely deflected it, a large gash in the armour of his left arm showed how close it had been

"We have to do something!"

She turned to her husband beating her arms against his chest. Gendo turned his eyes up to his child fighting for not only his life but also the life of every living thing on the planet, for the first time in so many years, he wished that he had not abandoned his son…

*

It was taking everything he had simply to hold of his opponent, and even with that Shinji was slowly being driven backwards. By now he harboured a series of gashes on both arms and legs, blood dripping from the wounds of his purple armour staining it crimson…

'I can't keep this up…he's too strong…'

Shinji once again was barely able to turn aside a strike that would have severed his left arm

"YOU CAN'T WIN!"

With a great shove, the dark Unit-01 sent the lance fleeing from Shinji's grasp before pinning to the side of the command centre with its dark lance. He turned around and began to advance on the two remaining Evas. All at once, he turned so that Shinji could see his eyes; a mocking smirk crept over his face as he called out

"SO WHICH ONE OF THEM SHOULD I KILL FIRST?"

Shinji felt a terrible rage well up within him; he looked upon the bonded forms of Asuka and Rei, like fire and ice, so different and yet so alike. He loved them both deeply despite all that had happened and would let neither of them be claimed by that mockery of him! A terrible pain searing through his chest as he reached up to the lance embedded in his chest and yanked it free, the two gapping holes in his armour drenched in his blood. With a terrible effort, he forced his S2 engine into life, drawing the strength, he needed to close the wounds and staunch the flow of blood. All the while his double stood with his back to him, so intent on his victims was he that he saw none of this.

*

Gendo and Yui had been huddling together since they had been forced to watch the merged form of Unit-01 and their son impaled onto the outer wall of the command centre by his dark twin. They wept for him then, both for him and for everyone for it had been by their folly that this had come to pass. In their actions of trying to force humanity to evolve, they had not only lost their son but it seemed that soon they would be responsible for the annihilation of humanity.

When he began to pull free, they could only watch in silence, even holding back their breath lest they disturb the moment and bring the dark one's attention to bear. Behind them the lavender haired major watched in silence, ever since this had begun, she had been silent, steeped in the absolute horror of what she had witnessed. Kaji had died because of this! Her father had died for it! All those innocent people sacrificed to cover a series of terrible truths. She could only look up at the form that was all that remained of her once charge and friend, Shinji Ikari. In a way, Shinji had been almost like a younger brother or a son to her. To witness this she finally understood what had caused him to become so withdrawn, having watched his mother drawn into the Eva and his father turning away from him then years later being forced into the very same thing that swallowed his mother and had taken his father would have driven any normal person insane…

"Shinji…please forgive us…"

*

"Shinji…please forgive us…"

Those words cut through the rage and pain and the Dark Unit-01 turned to face the ruined command centre. His eyes widened as he saw the other Unit-01 was no longer pinned and now stood grasping the true lance once more. Rage consuming him, once more he reached out his arm towards his the lance and wrapped his hand around its hilt. Slowly he drew it towards him, the cursed weapon tearing free from the ground and slowly coming towards him as Shinji made his charge…

The first blow was blocked but barely, fuelled by all the rage and pain Shinji's strength had grown ten fold. He would not allow this copy to harm them anymore! He would destroy it and end this nightmare!

"DAMN YOU!"

His double screamed out at him as he tried to strike but was cut off as the true lance carved into the flesh of his arm. He backed away holding the wound and desperately trying to staunch the flow of LCL that flooded forth

"YOU'LL PAY!"

He hurled himself at Shinji, lance held with the last of strength

"No."

The lance of Longinus drove into the dark Eva's chest and neck, the blades striking where the core and entry plug would have been. Meanwhile the dark lance was embedded in Shinji's side

"WHY? WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME?"

His double cried out one last time as he sank to his knees

"It's over."

Once last time the rage swelled up inside him

"NEVER!"

He grabbed Shinji in a bear hug and bathed the entire geofront in bright white light as his core went critical…

*

In the command centre everything was still. Following the explosion everything had been knocked out, Gendo and Yui lay huddled on the ground where they had fallen during the brunt of the shockwave. They slowly opened their eyes and stood to survey the damage…

The whole outer wall of the command centre had been torn away, now they bore witness to the wasteland that was all that remained of the geofront and in the middle of it all the silent form of Units 00, 02 and 01

"Shinji!"

Yui called out, pulling from her husbands grasp to run towards the silent figures. After a moment he too began to run, now it was finally over perhaps they could at last be a family again…

*

Shinji awoke slowly, his body was alive with pain, ever inch aching from the beating it had taken. He opened his eyes to see two small figures approaching him

"Mother…Father…"

"Shinji!"

His mothers voice called out to him

"Mother…I'm here"

As soon as Yui heard this, she fell to her knees and began to cry

"Oh Shinji! I'm so glad you're alive!"

He looked down at her and his father who had now come along side her and was trying to comfort his wife

"I am alive…yet I am no longer human…I cannot remain in this place any longer"

"Shinji?"

Misato had since pulled herself free from the rubble and approached the couple standing before Unit-01

"I can't stay here any more, I'll take Asuka and Rei with me and go somewhere…somewhere where we can start again…"

The three adults looked up at him. Gone was the boy they had known, his body fused with that of the monster known as Evangelion Unit-01. The women he loved also melded with their units, almost killed by his double and saved the world from destruction…

"Thank you son."

Those three were all Gendo said. Finally, he had acknowledged Shinji as his son and given him the praise he truly deserved.

Shinji nodded to his father before reaching his arms out to Asuka and Rei. The two girls approached him and wrapped their arms around him as he held them around their waists. Then the great energy wings erupted from his back and he leapt into the sky…

"Goodbye my son"

Yui's last words as she buried her face in her husband's chest and continued to cry…