Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ So Happy Together ❯ chapter 2 ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
So happy together

Shinji couldn't help but be excited about tomorrow. He barely noticed Asuka's rants through their testing, on the way home, through dinner and before he went to sleep (in his own room). Well, that's not true. He noticed. He apologized. He blocked her hits. He appeased her already inflated ego. However, through it all he never agreed to her demand for him to stay away from Rei. Asuka couldn't and didn't want to understand why Shinji refused her. Actually, Shinji refused to admit the true reason . Even to himself.

When Shinji woke up that morning Asuka began where she left off that night. So it was a long breakfast for both Misato and Shinji and even a longer walk for Shinji to school.

When they walked into the classroom the first thing Shinji looked at was Rei's empty seat by the window. Unfortunately for him Asuka noticed.

"What the %*^& was that?"

Shinji jumped out of his skin. "What was what?"

"You, looking for your little doll!!" She screamed.

Everyone in the class stopped what they were doing and looked at the feuding couple.

"Trouble in paradise?" Kensuke teased. The class laughed.

"Mind your own $&^@ing business!!" Asuka warned with a killer's glare.

Aida seemed to shrink into himself. Touji leaned over and whispered to his friend. "I don't think they were ever in paradise."

After a whop in the head by Asuka, Shinji made his way to his seat.

"I totally see what you mean." Kensuke whispered back to his friend.

"What the hell is up, Ikari?" Touji asked. Kensuke turned around in his seat and looked expectantly at his friend for answers.

Shinji shook his head as he sat down "I don't want to talk about it."

"Don't want to..." Kensuke glanced at Asuka "Or can't?"

"....Both." He reluctantly admitted. There was a long moment of silence.

"Why don't you just dump her?" Touji asked.

Shinji's eyes tripled in size. "I... I can't."

"Like hell you can't!" Kensuke agreed with Suzuhara. "You're clearly miserable and have been since you started your relationship with her!"

Shinji sighed deeply. "I mean I can't ... she won't let me."

"WHAT?!!!" The two boys screamed in unison.

Shinji glanced fearfully at Asuka. He hoped she wouldn't hear them. Luckily, she was too consumed in her own melodramatic rants about him and Rei to hear his friends' outburst. He then continued with his explanation. "I tried last night.... actually... I've tried to break it off lots of times, but she said that ... that it's over when she says it's over."

"T..that's..." Touji began.

"... insane." Kensuke finished.

Shinji swallowed hard and was about to say something else when his laptop made a beeping noise. A message was in his inbox. He opened his mailbox and found an official message from NERV. Before he opened it he glanced at Asuka. She seemed to have received a message as well.

She quickly opened it and read it before deleting the message. She turned to face her boyfriend. " It seems that I'm not needed today Baka, so as punishment I'll be hanging out with Hikari today instead of you!"

"Like hell you will!!" Touji roared from his seat .

Asuka looked surprised by his outburst then turned to her friend.

Hikari bit her bottom lip "Ummm... it's our anniversary." she said meekly.

"Sure..." Asuka said bitterly and angrily crossed her arms. "Dump your friend while she's in a crisis!"

"It's not like that... I'll call you later after when I get back home from dinner."

"What!!" Suzuhara yelled. He couldn't believe his ears. She knew that he had rented them a hotel room for the night. He had the hole thing planned months ago. He made reservations at a very expensive restaurant and.... He glared at Shinji. "Grrrr... your $%&*%^*&^ing girlfriend is screwing up my hole *&^*^ing night!!!"

Hikari looked at her boyfriend and mouthed "I'm sorry."

He shook his head; he was not accepting this. He also knew that Asuka wasn't going to let up until she had her way and had Hikari to herself today.

"I hate her!!" Touji growled and punched the desk

Shinji, afraid to look at his friend, opened his mail.

>I've made it easier for you to keep our secret.

> Your presence is requested at Nerv at 1200 hours.

A big smile spread across his face as he read the message three more times. Not because he couldn't remember it but because *she* wrote it. Then he reluctantly deleted it.

"And why the %*@&#& are you so happy!!" Touji growled. He no longer cared about the plight of his friend because it seemed to spill into his relationship.

"Umm no reason.. I just have to go to work early that's all."

Shinji shrugged. <I made it easier for you... Rei did you cancel Asuka's training today?... Do you even have such authority?>

*****************************

Shinji walked into the pool room only to find that Rei wasn't there. He sighed dejectedly but went and sat by the pool and waited anyway. It wasn't long before she came in.

He turned to face her. "I thought you stood me up?"

She tilted her head to the side. "I do not understand."

"Ohh.. I thought you changed your mind and didn't want to swim with me."

"I have gone to great pains to keep my obligation and our secret, Ikari-kun."

He was taken aback. "So you did cancel Asuka's testing?"

"Yes."

"But... how... we don't have that type of authority."

"No you don't."

He blinked. "And you do?"

She didn't answer him with words. Instead she gave him one of her cool and collected stares that betrayed nothing.

He knew her long enough to know that she wasn't going to tell him. However, by her own silence it was an admission to her status in the scheme of things. But this was not how he wanted to start things off. In a fight. <Asuka is rubbing off on me>

"Forgive me, Ayanami, I've picked up some bad habits over the years."

She didn't respond with words, she responded by actions . She walked forward into to the room, threw her towel on the floor and gracefully dived into the pool.

Shinji sat at the edge of the pool and watched Rei swim. After about five minutes she stopped and stared back at him as she floated .

"Are you not going to swim, Ikari- kun?"

Shinji blushed and sheepishly rubbed the back of his head. "Can I tell you something, Ayanami?"

"Of course."

"I don't know how to swim."

She blinked. "Then why did you ask to swim with me?'

"....Umm.. I wanted to get to know you."

She was silent.

So he continued. "I've actually wanted to get to know you for a long time."

"To know another person, one has to know oneself... Do you know who you are Ikari-kun?"

"Do you now who you are?" Shinji shot back. <dammit I did it again>

She seemed a bit taken aback then calmly said. "I am Rei Ayanami."

Shinji noticed her reaction but smiled and agreed "Yes, you are Rei Ayanami."

The girl seemed to brighten up a bit at Shinji's confirmation.

<Does she remember?... no one else seems to> He began to speak. "And I am Shinji Ikari."

She nodded. "Would you like for me to teach you how to swim, Shinji Ikari?"

<YES!!> "Sure... if you don't mind."

"I would not have offered if I did." She swam to him.

He slid into the pool and held on the wall. "It's pretty deep."

"Yes. It is."

***********

"Can you believe that he actually took up for her!!!" Asuka yelled as she ate her lunch.

Hikari swallowed hard. "I don't think he was taking up for her."

"Then what exactly would you call it?!!"

The pigtailed girl looked nervously at her friend. "I think he was taking up for himself. You're always telling him to grow a spine."

"Yeah, well not when it comes to her!" She growled. "I bet there's something going on between the two."

The class rep gave her a skeptical expression and said "You're jumping to conclusions."

Asuka choked on her food. "So you're on her side too!!"

"No. It's just that I don't believe Shinji would cheat on you."

"Of course he wouldn't! What could he possibly want with a doll when he has me!"

"Exactly." Hikari readily agreed. "So are you okay now?" She was trying to fix her friend's problems before they ruined her plans.

"Maybe. It depends on what Shinji does when we get home after school." She savagely bit into her sandwich.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rei had her palms pressed against Shinji's back as she helped him attempt to float on his back. "Try to relax."

It was difficult for him to relax for many reasons. One, he was loving being this close to her. Two, he was trying to keep his teenage hormones in check. Three, he was afraid that he was going to *drown* in that very deep pool.

"Relax, or you are going to sink." She gently ordered.

"I'm... umm... trying to." He answered nervously.

After many minutes Shinji started to relax. Rei slowly released him and allowed him to float by himself. All was going well until he realized that he was floating by his own will! Then he immediately started to sink. Rei quickly swam to him. He frantically wrapped his arms around her while he coughed up the water he mistakenly inhaled.

"It's not LCL Ikari-kun. You cannot breathe this." Her voice was calm with a hint of mirth.

"*cough*... I know... *cough cough* .. I didn't mean.. *cough* to."

She swam him to the side of the pool. He slowly released her and latched on to the edge with dear life.

"*cough*... I'm sorry."

"Why?"

"Because... I don't think I'll ever get the hang of it... *cough*... You probably think I'm stupid or something."

"I do not think you are stupid Ikari-kun." She swam closer to him. She rested her arms on the pool ledge by his. "Though when you asked to join me, I thought you knew how to swim already."

Shinji hung his head in shame and was about to apologize but was interrupted.

Rei continued "However, once I found out you did not know how to swim, I did not expect it to come naturally to you."

He looked at her in surprise. Asuka would of taken this opportunity to rub his nose in his failure but Ayanami... understood. "Thank you."

She didn't respond.

In a comfortable silence, the two just held on to the edge and floated in the water for about 5 minutes then Rei spoke.

"Would you like to try again?"

"If you don't mind."

"I would not have offered if I did."

********

When Asuka got back in class after lunch, she looked for her boyfriend. "Where the hell is Shinji?"

Kensuke looked at her like she was stupid "He's at NERV." <duh>

"Why the $*&^*& is he there? Testing was canceled!!"

"Maybe your tests were canceled, but his weren't." Touji added.

"If that were so, he should still be here! It wasn't scheduled until *after* school!"

"Well I guess they moved it up because he left after we were released for lunch." Touji arrogantly shot back.

"Why the $&%& didn't he tell me he was leaving?!" Asuka growled

"Maybe because you made it clear that he lost the privilege to be in your presence." Kensuke chuckled in a smart alike tone.

Asuka growled and plopped in her seat.

The two boys laughed at her discomfort.

*****************

Three hours had passed. Shinji could now do the dead man's float (which totally freaked him out after he found out what he was learning to do), he could float on his back, and dog paddle a short distance. All in all he was quite impressed with himself. Rei's few words of encouragement helped, a lot.

Shinji pulled himself out of the water and went to get his towel. Rei stayed in the water and was about to start swimming a few laps but was stopped by Shinji.

"Do you want to go and get something to eat?" He was hungry since he missed lunch, but he felt it was more than worth it.

"No. You should be getting home."

"Well.. I have to stay because I have testing today."

"They have been canceled." She said as she waded keeping her head above water.

"Oh..." He said in a deflated tone. "Did you do that so we could do this today?"

"No. I just took advantage of the opportunity."

Shinji smiled. "We can still go and get something to eat.. if you want?"

"If you leave now you won't have to explain to Asuka why you are late."

"I won't have to explain anything to her.." A happy knowing grin spread across his face "She said I lost the privilege to be in her presence."

Rei blinked, hard.

"So how about it?"

Rei slowly swam to the edge of the pool and pulled herself out and went to get her towel. "I don't like meat."

Shinji beamed and responded in a happy sigh. "I know."

**************

Asuka walked home *alone*. She was pissed, she wanted Hikari to walk with her but Suzuhara insisted that she keep the plans she made with him. <He's so %*&ing selfish> Asuka open the door to the apartment, clearly expecting Shinji to be there so that she could chew him out for making a fool out of her and leaving without telling her, only to be more furious because he wasn't there. "Testing shouldn't have taken this long, so where the %*^ are you Shinji no Baka!!!"

**************

About 20 min later, both teens had showered and put their school uniforms back on. Shinji sat across from Rei at the NERV cafeteria. She had ordered some ramen and a bowl of rice, and Shinji ordered the same. Actually, he really wanted to eat some meat, but didn't want to offend her by eating meat in front of her. Shinji noticed that she had impeccable table manners and started feeling inadequate in front of her. She noticed his nervousness.

She gently put down her chopsticks. "What is wrong Ikari-kun?"

Shinji dropped some noodles in his lap. <shimita> "Umm... nothing... I'm just glad to be here?"

She nodded and resumed eating.

"Are you glad to be here?" He asked and stared at her hopefully as he picked the wet noodles from his crotch.

She looked at him as she thought about that question, then answered when she came to her conclusion. "I do not know."

"Oh..." he said in a disappointed sigh.

So she continued. "I do not know what it feels like."

He gave her a confused look. "What what feels like?"

"To feel glad. I have never experienced it, so I do not know if I am glad or not."

He seemed saddened by this. "You've never been happy, Ayanami?"

She thought about it. "No. Not that I can recall."

Shinji was now fully saddened by this. He looked at her with pure determination and love and spoke before he thought. "I'll make you happy Ayanami?" < oh god why did I just say that? She's going to shoot me down and break my heart!.>

Rei just looked at the boy across from her for about a minute in silence. Then she spoke in her soft calm voice "Perhaps..."

Shinji swallowed hard and awaited the insult.

She continued "...you could." She gave him a beatific smile then resumed eating.

A huge grin spread across Shinji's face. This had to be the single most perfect day in his entire life. He went back to his food and they both ate in silence. It wasn't until they were finished and walking towards the exit did Shinji speak.

"Umm, so what do you want to do now?"

Rei turned to face him and raised an eyebrow.

The third child was taken aback by her facial expression. Though she looked beautiful doing it, it was very rare to see her do that. "I mean if you want to... do something... else."

"I think you should go home, Ikari-kun." She turned back around and resumed walking toward the exit.

Shinji bit his bottom lip. He didn't want to go home. He didn't want his time with her to end. "Ayanami."

She stopped turned her head slightly and looked at him through a side profile.

He took that as his queue to speak. "I just want to spend a little more time with you."

She looked at him for a while before she asked "Why?"

He blushed. "Because... I... I... want to."

She seemed unimpressed. "I've got to go home."

He interrupted her. "Can I walk you?"

"If you desire." She started to walk towards the exits.

He started to follow her then remembered that his school books were in the locker room. "Ayanami, could we go back a sec? I forgot my books."

Shinji was shocked to find that not even a flash of annoyance twinkled in her red eyes as she turned around to walk with him towards the boys' locker room.

But being so used to Asuka he said "I'm sorry..."

"For what?"

"You don't have to wait for me."

"If I minded I would not do it." She said absolutely.

That totally surprised him. Even though he did not agree with Asuka that she was a *doll* he always believed that she blindly followed orders without complaint or question. He couldn't imagine her saying no... Well, that's not true. Rei III had a bit of an attitude. But this Rei seemed more like Rei II.

"Are you surprised, Ikari-kun?" She asked calmly. "Surprised that I am not a doll, and have a will of my own?"

Now he was *not* expecting her to say that either. "NO. That's not it... It's just that..."

She interrupted. "I know what everyone thinks of me, Ikari-kun. You do not have to justify yourself.... I have gown used to their perception of me."

His eyes were as wide as saucers. "I don't think you are a doll, Ayanami."

"Good, for I am not a doll."

"I know." He said with even more conviction than her.

After they got his books, they headed towards her apartment, walking together in silence. Shinji wasn't sure if she was upset or not. And although he was concerned about this, he couldn't stop smiling. Just being around her calmed him and made him feel happy. But just in case she was angry...

"I'm sorry."

She continued walking. "You say that so often. Do you even mean it, or is it just habit?"

<talk about being blunt> "I mean it, Ayanami. I want to make you happy. I don't want to hurt you."

"You can not hurt me Ikari-kun...."

Shinji wasn't sure how to feel about that statement.

"I have no feelings to hurt." She said in an even tone.

"Of course you have feelings, Ayanami!"

She didn't respond.

"Remember that time you slapped me..?"

She didn't respond.

"Well, I'd say you were feeling pretty angry then...." He rubbed his cheek as if remembering the sting of it and laughed out. "If you weren't feeling angry, you sure looked it!"

As she looked straight ahead and continued to walk she calmly said "I do not remember."

"Oh..." Shinji swallowed hard. "Ayanami."

"Yes."

"What do you remember?"

"Clarify your meaning, Ikari-kun."

"Do you remember anything before two years ago?"

Rei stopped and thought about it. "Some things... I remember."

Shinji looked at her with hope that he was not the only person who remembered the third impact. "Like what?"

"I do not understand the memories I envision."

"Do you want to try to understand them?" He asked hopefully.

She stared ahead and didn't respond. But he could tell that she was debating whether or not to take him up on his offer.

"Can I tell you what I remember?" He had been wanting to tell someone for two years, and he knew he could trust her. How he knew... he just did.

She didn't respond verbally she just slightly turned her head in his direction to tell him that he had her attention.

Shinji understood the unspoken command. "I remember the third impact."

She titled her head to the side as if she was trying to find truth in what he said, although her actions did nothing to show that she doubted him, for she believed him. His confession made her understand her own memories. She then nodded knowingly.

Shinji's eyes tripled their size. "So you do remember it!"

"Yes." She replied calmly.

"You have no idea how relieved I am that someone else remembers! I thought I was going crazy and dreamt the whole thing! Do you think others will remember?"

"I do not know." She turned around and looked deep into his eyes "As I remember it we seemed to be the key players in the impact."

Shinji remembered. He remembered what he did to her. He remembered rejecting her. "I'm sorry. Ayanami."

She gave him a warm smile. "It had to be done. I hold no grudge against you."

"Still... I'm sorry."

She didn't respond. Instead she started walking in the direction of her apartment. Shinji caught up with her and walked beside her. Before they walked into the apartment building Shinji noticed three men standing together leering at Ayanami. This made Shinji feel uncomfortable. As they walked up the steps he asked "Do you know those guys?"

"What guys?"

Shinji sputtered. "Those guys outside who were watching you."

She didn't respond.

"Didn't you notice them?"

"No."

Shinji walked behind her. He was clearly distressed by this. He also started noticing something he hadn't the last time he came here. "Ayanami."

"Yes."

"Are you the only one who lives in this building?"

She opened her unlocked door. "Yes."

"You really should lock your door."

She didn't respond.

He followed her into the house and took his shoes off. "This is not the safest of areas. You really should lock your door."

She walked to her bed, sat down and kicked off her shoes. Shinji walked over to the bed and stood in front of her. She looked up at him as if she was surprised he was still there.

"Yes, Ikari-kun?"

"Umm.... what do you want to do now?"

She grew stiff. "Excuse me?"

"Oh.. I mean ... do you want to talk... or something?"

She narrowed her eyes. Shinji scrambled and got something out of his book bag.

"We can play cards." He held a deck of cards in his hands. "I don't know how to play many games but I'm pretty good at tunks."

She seemed to relax a bit and nodded.

*******************************

Misato came home. She was tempted to go right back out when she heard Asuka screaming at her, mistaking her for Shinji.

"Oh Misato it's you.."

"Don't sound too happy." She replied sarcastically.

"Is the idiot with you?!!"

"If you are talking about Shinji, no he is not with me."

She seemed shocked. "What kind of tests are you guys doing on him for it to take this long?"

"Tests?" Misato looked confused "The tests were canceled."

"What?" Asuka angrily spat out. "Then where the $&%^& is he?"

***************

Both teens were playing tunks and sitting comfortably on the dirty floor.

"You've played this game before haven't you?" Shinji laughed.

Rei smiled and said warmly. "Don't be such a sore loser."

"Well I've lost five times in a row." He laughed harder. "I think I can pout a little."

Rei held up her fingers and pinched them together. "Just a little."

He laughed harder, but then was silenced when he heard her giggle. More than it surprised him, he stopped his own laughter because he wanted to hear it. It was angelic and just as quickly as it started it stopped.

She noticed his awe struck stare at her. "What?"

"You laughed..."

She started to look nervous. Like she did something wrong.

Shinji noticed this so quickly continued. "It's beautiful."

She smiled. "Would you like to play another game?"

He happily sighed. "Yes please." He was loving this. He had never seen this side of her. He never knew she *had* this side of her.... Then he thought about it.. he *had* seen this side of her before... This is the side she only showed to his father. He shook that thought out of his head. He was happy and he wasn't going to let thoughts of *him* ruin it.

They played for almost two hours.

Rei noticed that it was late. "You should be getting home, Ikari-kun."

Shinji sighed then perked up with new determination. "Umm.. you've missed a lot of days in school. You know we have a test tomorrow."

"I was not aware."

He nodded. "If you want.. we can study for it together..?"

She stared at him. "Do you not want to go home?"

Embarrassed Shinji looked to the floor, and in a whisper he admitted "I just want to spend a little more time with you."

"Why?" Besides the commander, she was not used to someone *wanting* to spend time with her. She's had more company today than she had in years.

"Because... I like you."

She was truly surprised. "What chapters are our test on?"

Shinji looked up at her, smiled got up to get his books. "Chapter 25 and 27." After he got his books he sat back in his spot. Rei scooted over to him and peered over his shoulder to look at his book. Shinji turned beet red though he did nothing to push her away.

"My books are at NERV." She admitted.

<YES!!!!> He scooted the book so they both could see it comfortably but still at an angle to where she would have to sit very close to him to see it. "That's ok. We can share mine."

They both spent another hour studying the Second Impact. Something they both know as well as they knew the back of their hands.

After they were finished studying. They both knew it was late but Shinji still didn't want to go home.

He slowly stood up and packed his bags. Once he was finished, he put on his book bag and just stood there, staring at her, shifting his weight to each of his feet. "Well... I guess I'll see you tomorrow."

She nodded.

He sighed dejectedly and started walking toward the door. "Umm.. Ayanami?"

"Yes?"

"It's kinda late, and this isn't the nicest of neighborhoods...."

"If you are afraid, I will walk you to your apartment."

He spun on his heals. He was a bit offended. "It's not that.. not exactly..."

"Then what is it, exactly?"

He swallowed hard. "I don't want you to have to walk me... I was wondering if..."

She pressed her perfect lips together and gave him a knowing look.

He looked away from her but continued. "I was wondering if I could stay here?"

She bit on her bottom lip. "That is not proper."

He bowed. "I'm sorry. I will be leaving."

"Ikari-kun.."

"Yes?"

"If it is your wish to stay here, you may sleep on the floor."

A huge grin spread across his face and he bowed profusely. "Thank you, Ayanami!"

She didn't answer him. She just took the top sheet off her bed and laid it out neatly over her dirty floor. Shinji took off his book bag and made himself comfortable on the sheet. To get ready for sleep, Rei went into the bathroom to take another shower. When she came back, she was dressed only in her bra and panties. Seeing her come out of the bathroom, Shinji quickly rolled over onto his stomach to hide his reddened cheeks and the other part of his body that greatly appreciated her choice of sleeping attire.

Rei crawled into bed. "Good night, Ikari-kun."

"Good night, Ayanami."

After about five minutes Shinji was tossing back and forth on the sheet. He was really uncomfortable, but he wasn't going to say anything. He would gladly sleep on jagged rocks if it allowed him to be closer to her. After about another minute he felt something plop on the back of his head. He pulled it off his head. It was her pillow.

"You don't have to give me this. I'll be okay."

"I know that I don't have to. I want you to be comfortable."

"Thank you." He rested his head on her pillow. It was a bit damp from her hair. He snuggled his face deep into her pillow and took a deep breath and breathed in her scent. Soap. She always smelled clean, like soap. Her apartment may have been very dirty but she always kept herself impeccably clean.

"Good night Ayanami."

******************

Asuka slammed the phone down into its receiver and screamed. "Where the $&^%^ is he!!"

"I don't know for the millionth time!!" Misato screamed at Asuka <Shinji, if she doesn't kill you I will for making me have to deal with her!>

Misato retreated into her bedroom with a six pack in tow. While Asuka waited on the couch for her *boyfriend*.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still don't own anything that deals with Evangelion... ^_~