Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ So Happy Together ❯ chapter 29 ( Chapter 28 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
So Happy Together



Asuka held the phone away from her ear because Misato was screaming so loud. The pilot rolled her eyes and looked over at her friend for some support. She honestly felt like her guardian was blowing things all out of portion. However, she wasn't going to get any sympathy from the class rep.

Hikari was sitting on the platform part of the bed, her elbows rested on her knees, and her face was cupped in her hands. Behind her hands, she was crying. She couldn't believe what Asuka did. She was so disappointed in her friend as well as afraid. She was afraid because of the lengths to which Asuka went to get Shinji back.

~~~

"So there's three of them!" Misato asked again in a distressed voice.

~~~

Asuka reluctantly brought the phone closer to her ear, so she could answer meekly "Yes."

~~~

"Dammit Asuka!" The major screamed as she savagely raked her hands through her hair. "Why did you do this?!"

~~~

"I hate her!!" the second child yelled indignantly.

~~~

"SO F*CKING WHAT!!!" Misato yelled even louder. "THAT DOESN'T GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO HIRE SOMEONE TO KILL HER!!!"

~~~

Asuka interrupted. "I made a mistake!"

~~~

"No Asuka!" Misato growled completely fed up with the girl. "*I* made the make when I allowed you stay in Japan! I made the mistake in destroying your true psychological reports, so you could be able to pilot! What you did was --"

~~~

"I_ ALREADY_ SAID I WAS SORRY!" the child interrupted.

~~~

"Sorry my A$$!!!" The major could tell by the way the girl spoke, and the way she confessed her crime that she didn't have any real repentance for her crime. "What you did was unforgivable!

~~~

"It wasn't MY fault!" the girl cried out. "All I wanted to do was destroy the tape!! I wanted to hurt them by destroying the tape! It's not my fault that I---"

~~~~~~~

"That you forgot about the tape, and paid off hit-men to kill Rei instead?!" Misato interrupted bitterly. Asuka tried to cut in, but was stopped when the major continued. "You have no respect for human life!"

~~~

"You're one to talk!!" the second child shot in.

~~~

The major snapped "What?!"

~~~

"You know damn well what I'm talking about!!" the red haired girl yelled with an air of superiority. "You risked our lives all the time! Giving us impossible missions and even more impossible odds of surviving, without a second thought!!"

Hikari stood up quickly and yelled at her best friend. "How dare you even compare the two! What you did was despicable, Asuka!! You hired someone to kill Rei!! I'm ashamed ...." The class rep was shaking with anger. " Ashamed... to be your friend!!"

Asuka's head whipped toward her best friend. For the first time since she committed her crime, she thought about the repercussion of her actions. Sure, she knew that Ayanami would die, but in her opinion that was a plus. It still was a plus, in her honest opinion. However, she never thought she would lose favor with her friends, especially Hikari. She thought that the class rep understood how much she hated Rei. She thought she felt the same way. For a moment, her face showed an expression of betrayal then hardened into anger.

"Then f*ck you!!" Asuka spat out to the girl, then returned her attention to the phone and spat out "F*ck you too, Misato! It's not like you've ever did anything for me anyway!"

~~~

The majors eyes tripled their size. "I never did--" She stopped mid-sentence and made a gesture as if wiping her hands clean. "If that's how you feel, Asuka.... I never did anything for you? ...Fine. That's fine, from now on, you're on your own! "

~~~

"What?" The pilot couldn't believe that Misato was actually cutting her loose. Especially now, when she needed an advocate the most.

~~~

"You heard me!" Katsuragi answered haughtily. "You're on your own! I'm sick and tired of your selfish attitude! Everybody bends over backwards to help you. Even Rei!! And you can't see past your own suck up nose! I'm tired of it!"

~~~

"No.. wait" Asuka couldn't believe what she was hearing. Misato was actually cutting her loose.

~~~

"Oh, and one more thing, Asuka" Misato's voice was clam with controlled anger. "Everything that happens to you from know on.... It's all your own damn fault! You just remember that when you're in hell."

~~~

Asuka paled.

~~~

"Because once the commander finds out what you did to his favorite...." Her voice became deadly sarcastic. "He's going to kill you dead." ^_~

~~~

Asuka knew how true her guardian's words were. She had to get some of the blame off of herself. "It wasn't just me! It wasn't my money! I was just the messenger!"

"You could've said no, Asuka!" Hikari yelled out venomously. It seemed the more her friend spoke the angrier she got. "You didn't have to pay them off. You didn't have to get involved!"

~~~

Misato could hear the class rep yelling and also replied. "She's right you know. You didn't have to get involved... Oh, and don't worry about Ritsuko." Misato put the clip in her gun. "She's going to get hers soon enough."

~~~

The second child clearly heard the gun click. "You're going... to... kill your friend for that.... doll?"

~~~

Misato narrowed her eyes, she was disgusted by that comment. "If I were you, Asuka I would be worrying about myself right now."

~click~

Misato quickly put on her holster and walked out her office in the directions of the good doctors. She had never been so mad at anyone in her entire life. She was actually too mad at the her roommate to feel pity for her right now. However, deep down she knew that she was never going to forgive herself for what she was going to be told to do, what she will do, despite the guilt that will later consume her.

~~~~~~

When Misato hung the phone up on Asuka, the girl threw Shinji's phone against the wall, breaking it into three pieces, then stomped over and sat on his bed. She was pissed. She honesty couldn't understand why Misato was still so angry with her. "I said I was sorry..."

Hikari face was set in a firm frown. She was beyond disgusted with her friend, but she was also an overly forgiving person, and even though she couldn't forgive Asuka for what she did, she couldn't hate her friend. "But did you mean it?" Hikari asked sternly. "Are you really sorry that you paid someone to kill Rei?"

Asuka didn't answer. Instead she turned her head to the side and looked at the brush that meant so much to Shinji. She narrowed her eyes when she saw the blues strands of hair in its bristles and mentally answered <no> but verbally answered. "Of course I'm sorry..." She grabbed the brush and started picking out Rei's hair as if it were the most disgusting thing she ever touched.

Hikari's brow furrowed as she watched her friend flick strands of Rei's hair on the floor. "Are you sure As--"

The pilot interrupted. " I said I was, didn't I?!"

Hikari pressed her lip together skeptically, and took a deep breath. "Lets go!"

"Why?" the second child asked innocently.

"Because we have to warn Rei about the bastards who are going to kill her!" the class rep yelled as she turned to leave.

Asuka didn't budge. Instead she closed her eyes, and started brushing her hair with Shinji's mothers brush and said "Hikari..."

The girl turned around and gave Asuka an angry dumfounded expression for still being on the bed. "Come on, Asuka!"

The second child ignored her command and continued to brush her hair.

In an exasperated shrill, the class rep screamed "ASUKA!!"

"It's not fair, you know..." the pilot said a little above a whisper. "Everyone cares about the *doll*.... It's always been like that... Shinji.... Misato... you.."

Hikari crossed her arms and said. "Asuka, Rei is *not* a doll!" That was the first time she had ever said that to her friend. "She's a human just like you! Just like me, and NOW because of your jealousy, she's in danger!... So get off your @$$ and lets go!!"

Again, the pilot ignored the command and continued to brush her hair, slow at first but quicker with each stroke, accompanied with unnecessary roughness. "I hate her...." Faster and harder she used the brush on her silky locks. "Why does everyone choose HER!... Why did HE choose her!... I HATE her!!"

Hikari tilted her head back and stared at the ceiling as she sighed heavily. She had hoped that she had gotten through to the second child. She hoped that the conversation they had in the bathroom helped her see that she really wasn't attracted to Shinji. <I should have known that a simple conversation wouldn't bring her into the world of the mentally sane.> The class rep realized that the conversation only gave the second child a momentary lapse of morality in her conscience. Something she rarely listened to, and others could swear she didn't have. But now she was back to normal.

"It's killing me, Hikari" Asuka gently admitted as she looked up at her friend with melancholy eyes. "To see them together... It's killing me."

"Asuka... It's not killing you and....." The class rep stomped over to her friend and grabbed the brush. "They say that what does not kill you, makes you stronger..."

Asuka glared savagely at her friend. "Maybe some of us are a little sick and tired of being so damn strong!!" She held a tighter grip on the silver item.

Hikari shook her head disappointedly, and let go the brush. "Asuka, you know you already lost him. Not just because he married Rei, but he's going to hate you once he finds out what you did..."

The second child shook her head profusely.

Hikari backed away from her and continued. "And if anything *does* happen to Rei.... he's not only going to hate you... he... he just might kill you.." She spun on her heals and ran out of the apartment. She wasn't sure if her last statement was true or not. Actually, she doubted her own words as soon as they came out of her mouth, but she hoped that her words would at least scare some sense into the second child.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The commander was in his limo and had just hung up the phone with Kozo. He had informed his long time friend of Akagi's and the second child's plan to kill Rei. He was PISSED!!! Beyond pissed!!! Mostly for the mere fact that he missed one. He erased two of them this morning! He usually didn't handle this type of business himself but the attempt on Rei's life was something he took personally. He knew of Ritsuko's plan as so did Rei and Fuyutsuki . They just didn't know that it was supposed to be implemented today, and they didn't know that there were three assassins instead of two.

The commander pushed seven on his speed dial.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Kensuke-kun!" Rei giggled. She was wearing lemon yellow, over sized, star shaped sunglasses.

"Uh yeah, Rei?" the boy laughed back. Rei had been acting so silly today.

"Will hold my stuff?" She lifted her shades to make a makeshift headband, and fluttered her crimson eyes innocently. "While Shinji and I go on that ride?" She pointed to a giant balloon like jumpoline.

He chuckled "Sure" and held his out hands to receive the items.

Rei giggled some more as she gave him her bag of gold fishes, the sunglasses, a dozen or more Mardi Gras beaded necklaces, two dozen or more plastic bracelets, a hip belt that was heavily garnished in rhinestones that said Princess, and her Sailor Moon tiara. When she took it off she giggled. "By the power of the moon! I will punish you!!"

Shinji shook his head and chuckled softly. Rei was acting extremely silly.

She reached into her front pocket, pulled out her phone and gave it to him. "I'm trusting that you won't use this."

Aida shook his head ."Oh, I won't."

"Good" the first child warned with a serious expression in her crimson eyes. "Because if you used my phone again, I'd have to erase you."

The boy paled.

Shinji's eyes snapped wide open and he started laughing "Rei, I don't think Kensuke knows you're joking."

Rei looked at her subordinate and giggled as she finished giving him everything she wanted him to have. She then turned to her husband and cooed "Lets go!"

Shinji pointed to her hand. "Don't you want him to hold that too?"

She looked down at her bag of cotton candy, then back at him and shook her head no.

"I don't think they'll let you on if you have --"

Rei walked over to her husband, gently patted him on his cheek, and said sweetly "Koibito... you must have forgotten who you are talking to." She then sashayed past him, up the exit ramp, kicked off her shoes and started jumping.

Kensuke looked at all the stuff in his hands then at his friend and laughed. "I thought Rei didn't want any of the prizes."

"Me too, but she forced me to win all that stuff for her." Shinji smiled and shrugged. "I think it's either the sugar or the heat."

"Maybe both." Kensuke joked. "Nah for real, I think she's just cutting loose because it's your birthday!"

"Maybe" Shinji laughed and looked at his wife as she jumped and did extremely high flips in the air that would make any Olympiad jealous. He ran up the exit ramp to join her.

Not even a minute after the third child started jumping did Rei's phone ring.

"Crap!" Kensuke did not want to answer it.

~ring ring~

~RING RING~

~RING RING~

The boy wasn't sure, but to him the phone seemed to be getting louder. He walked to the platform and started calling Rei's name.

She turned to face him, waved, and did a back flip, and bounced to the back off the jumpoline.

Touji walked up as so did Kimiko from two different directions. They had went to get Rei some more Pixy Stix's.

"Ken-chan, can you believe that every vendor in this whole fair is out of Pixy Stix's!" The tall girl laughed. "Rei ate them all!"

~RING RING~

The boy looked at the phone, then to his beloved, then back to the newlyweds on the ride. Rei was too far in the back, but Shinji could be probably hear him. "Shin-man!!"

Touji walked over to his friend. He was also empty handed. "What's up, man?"

~Ring Ring~

"Oh" Touji looked at the phone. "Just answer it!"

"No!" Aida yelled out. "It's probably the commander!" He frantically called for Shinji again. The pilot turned to face him, but returned his gaze to his wife when she called for him to Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!

"Just answer it!" Suzuhara yelled. "It's probably important!"

"Exactly!" Kensuke shot back. "So it none of my business!" He had a feeling who it was, and he didn't want to talk to *him*

Kimiko looked at her boyfriend with a skeptical expression. Important information dealing with NERV that's none of his business. <whatever> She grabbed the phone flipped the top and said "I'll answer it."

"NOOOOOO!" Kensuke yelled, but it was too late.

~~~~~

"Rei, what took you so long to answer the phone!" the commander growled. He was not pleased.

~~~~~

"Eep" That's all the girl could make out. She was terrified. Shinji's dad sounded like the devil himself.

~~~~~

The commander felt like ice was in his stomach. That was a female, but it was not Rei. So if his baby girl didn't answer the phone then. <I'm too late!!!> "Who is this?!! And where is Rei?!!!"

~~~~~

In complete and utter fear, Kimiko threw the phone back to her boyfriend. When it hit his palm, it bounced up and every time he grabbed at it, it bounced up again. When if fell out of his grasp completely, Touji caught it right before it hit the ground.

Hesitantly, Touji put the phone to his ear and sheepishly said "Hello?"

~~~~~

Gendo growled sadistically. "Who the hell is this?!!!!"

~~~~~

Touji didn't answer. Instead he paled and quickly ran up the ramp with the phone. He jumped on the ride, with his shoes on, and gave Shinji the phone, since he was closer to him than Rei. He just wanted to get rid of the phone.

Shinji gave his friend a quizzical expression, then put his ear to the phone and said "Hello?"

Suzuhara gave his friend a guilty sheepish shrug and quickly got off the ride and away from Shinji, because he knew his friend would be pissed after he found out his father was on the line.

~~~~~~

Gendo recognized his son's voice immediately. "Ikari, where's Rei?"

~~~~~~

Shinji swallowed hard. His dad sounded pissed. As he glared daggers at his friends, he answered meekly "She's jumping on the jumpoline..."

~~~~~~

The elder Ikari took a silent relieved breath and then commanded "Go and get her *now*!"

~~~~~

"Y-y-yes sir!" Shinji ran to the back of the ride. "Rei-chan the phone!"

Rei looked at her husband as she bounced and giggled. "Ask them what they want! I'm kinda busy right now!" She did another back flip.

Shinji paled. He was not going to comply with that request. "It's the commander!"

"So..." she said innocently. "I'm busy!" She did a front flip and purposely landed on her back, then bounced back to her feet.

"REI-CHAN!!" The third child held out the phone; he was completely distressed and terrified that his dad could hear their conversation.

"FINE!" She growled and exasperated sigh. She jumped up one more time did a twist in the air and came down falling toward her husband.

Shinji couldn't even scream or move because she was coming down so fast. He just tightly shut his eyes and waited for the collision. It never came. Slowly, he pried his eyes open, one at a time.

Rei had her arms around his neck, but she wasn't touching him. Her height was eye level with him, which should be impossible since she wasn't holding onto him, and she was barely taller than his shoulder.

Shinji's eyes widened when he looked into her burning crimson eyes, he quickly wrapped his arms around her waist and pretended that he was holding her. He whispered in awe "I didn't know you could fly, koishii!"

"I can't." She giggled.

Shinji felt her full weight after her statement and put her down and gave her the phone.

She giggled, then held it up to her ear. "Yello"

~~~~~~

"Who is this?" The commander couldn't tell. It sound like he was speaking to a chipmunk.

~~~~~~

Rei answered. "Duh... Who did you call?"

~~~~~~

Gendo looked at his phone with a dumbfounded expression then placed it to his ear. "Rei?"

If anyone else would have said that to him, they would have quickly found themselves on the commander's hit list.

~~~~~

"The one and only..." She looked at her husband, then giggled her correction. "The one and only one left!"

Shinji's eyes tripled their size.

~~~~~~

The commander grit his teeth and growled. "Put Ikari back on the phone!"

~~~~~~

"I am on the phone!" Rei giggled. "I'm an Ikari too remember?"

~~~~~~

"Rei!"

~~~~~~

"Hmm?" she answered sweetly.

~~~~~

His patience was gone. "Put SHINJI back on the phone!!"

~~~~~~

"Okay!" In a voice as sweet as honey, she held out her phone to her husband and said "Shikisha wants to speak to yoooouuuu!"

<great> Was the male pilot's sarcastic mental retort. Timidly, he took the phone and put it to his ear "Yes sir?"

~~~~~~

"What the hell happened to her?!"

~~~~~~

In a meek voice, he honestly answered "I don't know."

~~~~~~

The commander growled, and tried to figure out why she would be acting the way she was. The answer came to him when he heard her call out to her husband Looky koibito! I can do a flip and eat my sugar at the same time!!

Gendo roared. "YOU LET HER EAT SUGAR!!!"

~~~~~~

In an even meeker voice, the boy answered. "Uhh..Yeah.."

~~~~~~~

The commander took a deep breath and tried to calm down. "How much has she eaten?"

~~~~~~~

A little above a whisper, the pilot answered "I don't know..... a couple of pounds...?"

~~~~~~~

"WHAAAAAATTTT!!!!!! WHY!!! Why did you allow her to eat so much?!" Gendo was flabbergasted "Why didn't you stop her when she started acting out of character?!"

~~~~~~~

The younger Ikari reluctantly admitted "I thought it was.... cute."

~~~~~~~

"She's addicted, now!! Do you understand that?!" The commander growled and raked his hands through his brown hair. "You've allowed her to get hooked on sugar!"

~~~~~~~

Shinji was about to tell his dad that he was wrong, but when he looked over at his wife and saw her licking the inside of her cotton candy bag, he knew his dad was correct.

~~~~~~~

"Ikari, your wife is not human!"

~~~~~~

Shinji interrupted and snapped "I know that!"

~~~~~

Gendo's eyes widened angrily because of his son's attitude. He was not used to this rude insubordination. <what the hell is wrong with my children today!!>

~~~~~

"Gomen" Shinji quickly corrected his mistake.

~~~~~~

The commander took a deep breath and continued through grit teeth. "Her constitution is different from ours. Just as she cannot eat meat, she cannot eat concentrated SUGAR! The reason she has been acting strange is because she is now under the influence."

~~~~~

Shinji interrupted. "You mean she's HIGH!!"

~~~~~

"That's another way of putting it." Gendo answered calmly. "Yes. She's high."

~~~~~

The pilot whipped his head around and looked at his wife. She was now at a vendor getting another cotton-candy. <shimita!> He ran off the jumpoline, forgot about his shoes, and went to stop her.

"Koishii, I think you've had enough sugar today."

She looked her husband as she grabbed the bag from the vendor, and retorted in a serious tone. "I think you're mistaken." She walked away from him and sat on a bench.

Shinji walked over to her, crouched down in front of her, and pried the bag out of her tiny fingers.

"What are you doing?!" she cried out as she tried to get the bag from him.

Shinji hid the bag behind his back. "You've had enough, koishii!"

"You can't tell me what to do!" She quickly stood up, pointed at him, narrowed her eyes angrily and roared "I out rank you! Now give me my sugar!!"

~~~~~~

Gendo could hear everything that was going on, and shook his head as he raked his hand over his face. Her 'condition' was going to set them back on the project. She was going to have to go to rehab. <maybe>

~~~~~~

Everyone was taken aback by her outburst. They had never seen Rei so angry before. More than that, they had never seen Rei angry at her husband before.

Unfortunately, Shinji had seen his wife angry with him before, so he mentally prayed. <please don't blast me with your powers> He stood up, took a deep breath, and said calmly. "That may be so, my love, but you made a vow to obey me... And I said no more!" He cringed after his statement. He was preparing himself to be blasted into the next dimension. However, what she did was much worse, her eyes started to water up with tears. <oh koishii.. I'm soo sorry>

Touji's, Kensuke's, and Kimiko's jaw dropped. They could not believe that Shinji just spoke to Rei like that.

~~~~~~

Gendo listened to his son and was impressed. Not even he would have been able to say that to her.

~~~~~~~

Rei poked out her bottom lip and huffed out "You promised never to hold me to that vow!"

"It's for your own good" he said half heartedly. He was quickly loosing his conviction because he felt like crap for speaking to her like that. "My fath- ...the commander said you shouldn't have so much sugar."

She pointed at him and cried out. "You just don't love me!" She started to sniff and plopped back on the bench. "That's why you're taking my sugar away...." She put her elbows on her knees, cupped her face in her hands, and sobbed.

That was like a dagger in the pilot's heart. Immediately, he gave her back the bag of cotton candy.

Her head snapped up and she looked at him with sparkling crimson eyes, she smiled beautifully, and tore into the bag. She was being a tricker so she could get her sugar back.

Suzuhara shook his head no and snatched the bag away. Unlike Shinji, he wasn't hopelessly smitten with her; however, he was concerned with 180 degree change in the way she had been acting these past few hours.

"What do you think you're are doing?" the angel yelled angrily.

"I'm saving you from sugar poisoning!" Touji answered back.

"There is no such thing!" She stood up, pushed passed Shinji, making him fall over, and tried to grab her bag.

"So..... Maybe not..." The boy shrugged and lifted the bag over his head, making her futilely jump and try it get it back. "Even if there was... I'm sure you wouldn't stop...."

"I can stop eating candy anytime I want to!! I just don't want to!" She interrupted and kicked his shin, making him have to bend over to clutch and soothe his sore leg.

"owwww!!"

Shinji gazed as his wife with a bewildered expression after she made her declaration. It sounded so familiar... <where have I heard that...?> He thought harder <oh now I remember... I heard Misato-san say something to that nature when we asked her to go AA> He looked at his wife, observed the way she tried to pry the bag from Touji's grasp as she also tried convince him into giving her the cotton candy back. He also noticed that her eyes were blinking in triplets. He raked his hand over his face and mentally grumbled <my wife is a sugar addict>

The third child slowly put the phone to his ear. "Is there something I can do to help her?"

~~~~~

"Get some water in her." The commander informed coolly. "A lot of water. She needs to dilute the sugar inside her, so she can start burning it off. Be sure that she does NOT drink anything else. Especially something with caffeine it." <that would be disastrous.>

The commander remembered a past event that happened when she was little. Rei had wandered into (snuck into, the commander is still in denial to what happened that day. ^_~) the NERV cafeteria kitchen. She had found the food storage pantry and ate about 4 restaurants sized bags of sugar and drank it down with Coca-Cola. When they found her, she was foaming at the mouth, and was running around in circles so fast she looked like a blur. When she spoke, she sounded like a chipmunk on speed. Because of that incident, Gendo couldn't keep her with him at all times like he usually did. She was too active, so he hired a babysitter for her. It was one of the only few times he left her in the complete care of another. He couldn't handle her; he didn't want to handle her. She was beyond hyper, beyond over active, beyond talkative. It was so bad that every few days, she had to have a new babysitter because she wore her guardians out. It took about a month to get it out of her system.

<please don't let it take a month this time> The commander thought of a way she could burn it out of her system. "Ikari, can she use her powers?"

~~~~~

"Yes sir" He looked at his wife as she stomped over toward him. She was upset because Touji wouldn't give her sugar back to her. "She was flying on the jumpoline."

~~~~~~

"She was?" The pleasure about this bit of info was completely audible. <this could be VERY useful for the project>

~~~~~~~

Rei walked over to her husband, wrapped her arms around his waist, looked up at him, and gave him puppy dog eyes as she poked out her bottom lip. "koibito.."

"Yes sir." Shinji continued to speak to his father and looked at everything and anything, so he wouldn't look at her and succumb to that heartbreaking, pitiful, expression.

~~~~~~~

The commander wanted to make sure his son's statement was still accurate. "Ask her if she can still use her powers?"

~~~~~~~

"Yes sir" Shinji reluctantly looked down at his wife, leaned down, and whispered the question in her ear.

She shook her head no.

He whispered. "Are you sure?"

Rei nodded and admitted "I already tried.... on Touji."

Shinji moved his head and gave her a dumbfound expression. He could only imagine what she was trying to do to his friend, seeing that she almost killed *him* a number of times. <and she *loves* me> The boy took a deep disappointed breath and answered.

"No sir, she can't."

~~~~~~~~

<sh*t!> The commander responded coolly. "I see"

~~~~~~~~

When Rei buried her head against his chest, Shinji wrapped his arm around her and asked. "Sir, besides water... Is there another way I can help her?"

~~~~~~~~~

"Concerning this matter, no, that is all you can do to help her. She has to work it out of her system."

~~~~~~~~

"Oh" The boy said dejectedly. He thought that Rei was just cutting loose, but now that he knew that she wasn't, he wanted his calm wife back. He loved his calm, loving wife.

~~~~~

Gendo remembered why he called in the first place, and continued the conversation in a tone that rang with collected anger. "Ikari. I am going to tell you something that concerns Rei. It is imperative that you listen and listen closely."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Misato was in her car and was speeding toward Ritsuko's apartment. The doctor wasn't in her office nor was she on NERV premises. Akagi's office was cleared of all personal items and her NERV clearance id card was on her desk. It was almost as if she knew that they would becoming for her today.

Misato looked at the heavy traffic ahead of her, so she slowed up, and eventually had to stop.

"Where the hell did all these people come from!!" Though she asked the question, she knew the answer. They came from other towns and cities because of the fair. The semi-empty city of Tokyo-3 was now over populated because of the fair.

After she was stuck in the same place for over five minutes, she slammed her hands against her steering wheel. Her eyes widen when she realized her mistake. She abused her car. Her NEW car! That was completely unacceptable. This car was her baby! It was a 2016 Mustang GT premium, with a midnight blue finish and included all the luxury accessories. She rubbed on the steering wheel as if soothing it.

"Mamma's sorry" she cooed to her beloved automobile.

Still stuck in traffic after the tenth minute, she leaned back in her plush seat, and looked at the side walk. If she had her old car, she would have driven on it to get past this traffic. But now... She mentally growled at her selfishness and revved up her engine.

"Rei I'll find out who she hired to kill you ...I promise!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three men, two who were NERV agents, had just made it to apartment 607b. It was Akagi's apartment. The taller agent took out his gun, connected his silencer to it, and shot out the lock. When the door opened the two agents walked in cautiously, ready to shoot to kill. They found the doctor in her living room, playing with her cats, purposely ignoring their presence as if they weren't there.

The third man walked in. His anger was radiating off of him like an AT field. "You should have never messed with my family, Akagi."

The woman spun around in her seat, she was surprised to see "Fuyutsuki... I was sure the head @$$hole himself would have come..." She laughed cruelly. "Or at least that abomination he calls a daughter!"

The older man's eyes narrowed venomously. "Rei is like a granddaughter to me. It would be wise if you watch your tongue when you speak of her."

She smirked evilly. "Why should I? You've come to kill me anyway!!"

The second commander smirked.

The look he gave the doctor, chilled her to the marrow of her bones. She'd never seen Kozo angry before. He gave the appearance that his anger would be passive, since he seemed like the kind old man that got stuck being 2nd in command under Gendo. Everyone always wondered if he was actually the commander's friend, and if he was, how *could* he be Gendo's friend all these years. Ritsuko wondered that herself, but she got her answer when he smirked. That look. That sadistic smirk even surpassed the infamous Ikari's. It was all the explanation she needed. He was just as evil as Gendo, he just hid it better.

"Take her into custody" Kozo coolly ordered.

"No!" the doctor screamed as she quickly got off the couch and tried to grab her gun. She wasn't afraid of dying. But she'll be damned if she allowed them to hold her in NERV's brig. She knew if she was sent there, death would be more of a gift than a punishment.

Before she could retrieve her gun, the two men roughly grabbed her, pinned her against the floor, and handcuffed her.

"Just kill me!" she cried out as she struggled to free herself.

Kozo crouched down in front of her and whispered sadistically. "Don't worry, we will... but not yet." He stood back up and started walking for the door. "We have a purpose for you, Doctor..."

His words chilled her soul, and she struggled more frantically to get free. She wasn't one who wasn't trained in the art of combat, so when she was lifted to her feet, she used her legs and her feet as a weapon and attacked the two men. She kicked both of them in the groin, making them topple over in pain, and made a dash for the door.

Fuyutsuki heard her behind him, and he allowed her to pass. He loved a good chase just as much as any cold blooded murder.

When Akagi turned the corner outside her door, she was met with a the barrel of a gun pointed between her eyes.

"And where the hell do you think you're going?" the major growled.

"Let me pass!" Ritsuko pleaded.

Misato cocked her gun. "Not a chance."

Despite herself, tears trickled down the doctors face. "Please.."

The major shook her head no and positioned her finger over the trigger of her gun. "Who did you hire to kill Rei?"

Ritsuko smiled triumphantly, for she would never provide that information, not even in death. She wanted the first child dead, for she honestly believed that Rei was the root to all of her problems.

Misato could tell that her friend was not going to give her the information she requested. "I was trying to give you your chance to redeem yourself, Ritsuko."

"I don't want redemption. I want her dead."

<you're just as crazy as Asuka> "Her death is going to cost you your life" the major warned, trying to give her friend one last chance.

"So be it." The doctor answered coolly. She hoped that Misato would kill her. It would be a much better fate than whatever Gendo had planned for her.

"Then so be it." The major was disappointed with her friend, and she started to pull the trigger, but was stopped by a calm voice.

"Major Katsuragi."

The purple haired woman looked over the doctor's shoulder to see the 2nd commander. "Yes sir?"

"That privilege is someone else's."

"Yes sir." The major immediately took her finger off the trigger and placed her gun back in its hostler. She glanced back at her friend and saw unshed tears in her eyes, as well as fear. Strangely, she felt no pity for her long time friend. However, she did wonder who's 'privilege' it was. <probably Gendo's or Rei's> The major turned and walked away. She was going to go to the fair and warn Shinji and Rei about the danger, and blindly try to find the hired killer.

The 2nd commander called out to the major. "Don't bother going to the fair. The commander is going to deal with that situation himself...."

Misato stopped, but didn't turn around because she had a sinking feeling of what he was going to say next.

Kozo continued. "However, there *is* a situation at the first and third's apartment that I want you to take care of."

She took deep, reluctantly nodded, and started walking away. When she was almost out of earshot, she heard him call out with a calm cruelty that even surpassed Gendo.

"Do not disappoint us, major."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still do not own anything that deals with Evangelion.

I love ya lots I really really do. ^_~

Kimberly