One Piece Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Wild Blue ❯ Raise Thy Sword ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The characters and setting herein are the creations of Rumiko Takahashi and Eiichiro Oda. I'm just borrowing them for fun for a little while.
Wild Blue
By Kyle
based on Ranma ½ by Rumiko Takahashi,
and One Piece by Eiichiro Oda
Chapter 4
Our home and legacy in Nerima were left in flames. The only thing left of Musabetsu Kakuto Tendo-Ryu is the knowledge Akane carries with her, the sword strapped to her back, and the Dojo Sign hanging on our ship. And hopefully, with my father as well.
They say a Dojo sign is more important than the building itself, and the dojo exists wherever the sign hangs. Perhaps, if all goes well, that sign will hang in a dojo once again. My family's art is not yet forgotten, and perhaps my father's dream of a united Saotome-Tendo School of Indiscriminate Grappling can still come to be once Ranma is rescued.
That is, if my sister and her dumb fiancé ever smarten up.”
- An excerpt from the journal of Tendo Nabiki
“Hey, there! Welcome to One Liner Ben's Oceanic Appliances!” Ben was a rotund, jovial, man. He welcomed Konatsu and Kuno to his shop cheerfully with a bright, hearty laugh. “What can I do you boys for?”
Both the young men were dressed casually in shorts and sandals. Kuno wore an unbuttoned tropical shirt, coloured with blue and decorated with surf boards. Konatsu wore a buttoned version of the same shirt, his in yellow. They didn't have many casual clothes to choose from on the Blue Thunder, and made do with whatever they could wear.
Kuno was stern and stoic, unmoved by Ben's pleasant greeting. “Greetings. We require an ice-crystal refrigerator, one best suited for long voyages. Your best.”
Konatsu frowned. Nabiki wouldn't be too keen on them buying his most expensive. Why did Kuno always have to go over the top? “His best, Kuno-san? Nabiki won't be happy−”
“Nabiki won't be happy regardless,” Kuno interrupted, snorting. “Best for her to be unhappy now while we still have money, rather than a few weeks from now when a second hand fridge expires. We will take the best, for it will last many times longer.”
Konatsu bristled. Kuno was the one person he'd not take such hasty dismissal from. He didn't like the swordsman very much, especially with the way he attempted to romance their captain. The way he ranted about how Ranma and Ukyo as betrayers was even worse. Perhaps it was true for Ukyo, but he still owed a lot to her.
Ben clapped his hands together happily, and was about to say something, when he was interrupted by Konatsu. “No. We will take a more affordable model,” the shinobi demanded, his arms crossed.
Kuno blinked in surprise. Why did the ninja have to grow a backbone now of all times? Ben again tried to speak, but Kuno growled, silencing him. “Must you always be so frugal!” he scolded, raising his voice. “The life of the ice crystals in an older fridge is uncertain! We shall take his best!”
Konatsu flinched at Kuno's change in volume, but was not undaunted. “Well, you're going over the top! We shouldn't waste our money!”
“You do not even know your OWN value, let alone that of a beli!” Kuno snapped, suddenly ferocious. “Do not even begin to tell me how to spend!”
Konatsu was cowed at his sudden insult. He shirked back slowly, watching the fury leave Kuno's face. Once his face was placid again, the swordsman smiled slightly and nodded slowly at the ninja. Konatsu blinked in surprise at the underlying meaning, and Kuno turned back to the shopkeeper.
“Your best,” he repeated. Ben nodded happily.
They did get Ben's best fridge, though it wasn't nearly as expensive as Konatsu feared. They carried it lengthwise back to the ship, each holding one end. The young men had nearly superhuman strength from their martial arts training, so the weight was no problem at all. However, it was large and a little unwieldy, so both of them agreed to carry it at once to avoid damage in case it slipped from their grip.
Konatsu was silent, still brooding about Kuno's insult, and the mysterious smile and nod he had given afterwards. He was at a complete lost at what they meant. After a few minutes, his curiosity got the better of him.
“Kuno-san,” he began, “what did you mean earlier?”
“Pardon?” the swordsman asked, dodging an apple vender and nearly dropping the fridge.
Konatsu struggled to hold on, and readjusted his grip. “When you said I did not know my own value,” he explained. “What did you mean?”
Kuno snorted in derision. Was it not obvious? “You place yourself at the feet of others! First at the Okonomiyaki Chef's, and now at fair Akane's.”
“I do not!” shot back the shinobi, instantly insulted. He owed Ukyo a lot and Akane even more. Ukyo saved him from his horrid step family, and gave him a place to call home. In Nerima's final moments, Akane seized him from the rubble of the destroyed Ucchan's, and carried him to safety. “I'm just… just grateful…”
“Indeed?” countered Kuno, sarcasm dripping from his every word. “Can you not show your gratitude without bowing and scraping like a servant?”
“I can so!” Konatsu howled again, nearly losing the fridge from his grip. Why did Kuno care how he presented himself to others?
“You do.” Kuno repeated, his tone laced with steel. “You are our greatest warrior, and should act more accordingly!”
There was an unintended compliment in Kuno's words, and it jolted Konatsu completely. He stumbled, and faltered backwards. The refrigerator bounced from his grip, and pounded viciously into the ninja's gut as he hit the ground.
Kuno reacted swiftly, and yanked his end of the fridge off of Konatsu, standing it straight. “Are you well?” he asked, anxious. The ninja looked to be fine, and didn't appear to be in any agony.
Konatsu nodded his affirmative; he was made of sterner stuff than that. He was still more bothered at what Kuno revealed. “Did you mean that Kuno-san?”
“Pardon?” the swordsman responded, a little befuddled.
“You said that I was our best fighter,” Konatsu recalled. Had Kuno really said that? He knew from experience that the swordsman fancied himself the best among them. He was sure Kuno Tatewaki would never admit that someone was better than him, and he'd certainly never believe he'd hand out a compliment like that.
Kuno froze, petrified. He HAD said that, unintentionally… He felt frightened.
He had known the reality of his skills for awhile, and this was one charade that he knew he could not maintain anymore. Pretending to be the greatest warrior all the time… A lie. He had many lies sleeping with him, and deep down he knew they needed to be purged. One by one, if need be.
He strained himself to answer, a part of himself fighting to contain the truth, while another rebelled to be free. “Yes,” he managed. His eyes were squeezed shut, his brow furrowed in focus. He had said it. His fighting kills were lacking. “Better than I am,” he admitted, finding it easier to say a second time. “Better than I could ever hope to be.”
Konatsu watched Kuno in astonishment. Judging from his expression, revealing that had been excruciating. He hadn't meant to upset him so badly, and felt himself overflowing with guilt. He pulled himself into a sitting position on the earth, before exclaiming, “That's… that's not true, Kuno-san! You're a very good swordsman!”
“Perhaps,” he began, sorrow coating his words. “Time and time again have proven my skills are only adequate.” Indeed, compared to the rest of the crew he was swiftly becoming a liability. Akane was improving more and more everyday, and Saotome's blasted father carried years of experience. Konatsu was a ninja genius, and he was certain that Doctor Tofu was hiding darker secretes than simply shiatsu.
“Well, maybe I could help you train…” Konatsu suggested. It couldn't hurt. He had not practiced his own sword forms in awhile, and he could benefit from the training just as much as Kuno. Plus… he sort of wanted to help him.
Kuno blinked in surprise at the offer. He had not had a training partner in years, not since he had arrogantly fired his last teacher. He found himself wanting to take Konatsu's offer of assistance; the ninja was a phenomenal warrior, and Kuno certainly would benefit from his experience. “You would do that for me?”
The shinobi nodded, affirming his decision. He would help him! “You're one of the crew, too!” he burst, a bit excited. “I'd be happy to.”
Kuno tilted his head thoughtfully. He extended his hand down to Konatsu, offering to help him up. The shinobi seized his hand tightly, and Kuno pulled him to his feet. “Thank you, Konatsu,” he said. “I will consider your offer.”
He turned his attention back to the refrigerator. “Come!” he bellowed. “We must return this damnable thing back to the ship, lest we suffer the wrath of the harpies!”
He felt better about himself now, like a great weight was lifted. He admitted his weakness, and maybe now he could grow stronger. Instead of fighting to hold on to a lie, he could fight to gain the strength he wished he had instead.
And perhaps, now that one truth was in the open…
Perhaps, other truths would follow.

Akane gripped Yoshi's collar tightly, and rattled the man violently in the air. She turned her attention back to Nabiki for a moment, and watched in horror as the black feathers continued to blossom over her sisters body. Wings exploded from her back, causing Nabiki to spasm violently. Her face shifted and warped, stabbing outwards and shaping itself into a beak. `She's becoming a monster!'
Terror engulfed Akane, and she lost her calm to panic. She dropped Yoshi's collar, and seized him again by the neck. “WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER?” she shrieked furiously. Her battle aura burst forth, wreathing her in orange and red ki. Panicked yells and shouts began to spread through the bar at the sight.
Yoshi began to gasp and gurgle, unable to respond. She narrowed her eyes hatefully at him, and began to squeeze. “What… Did... You… Do… to her?” she repeated, her voice hoarse and intense. She was too panicked and angered to realize he wasn't answering because she was strangling him.
One of Yoshi's stouter poker buddies bellowed in defiance and swung a wooden chair at Akane from behind. The seat still struck and shattered on the girl, though Akane was unscathed by blow. Her fighter's discipline took over as the wood smacked her, dropping Yoshi as her body flowed into a defensive stance. She skillfully deflected a follow up blow from the man, and tossed him aside like he was garbage. She recomposed herself, and watched Yoshi sputter on the floor like a fish out of water, her eyes widening in horror after realizing what she had nearly done to him.

Nabiki groaned as the pain began to ebb away. She pulled herself up to get her bearings, gasping at the sight that greeted her. The world looked so much more… detailed. Hues and tones of colours she didn't know existed dotted and coloured everything, and everything had an uncanny shimmer to it… She stared down at her body, all covered in feathers. When they were sprouting they were ash black, though now they looked to be a cool cobalt hue.
Paulie stood over her, worry plastered all over his face. Akane was holding Yoshi in the air by the neck while he rasped out breathless gasps. “What… Did... You… Do?” she heard her sister say. Akane was killing him, Nabiki realized. She moved to intervene, when another man stumbled into the fray wielding a chair. Akane dropped Yoshi as the chair shattered around her. Her assaulter went to attack again, but Akane intercepted him and tossed him aside effortlessly.
“Akane,” Nabiki said, hoping to diffuse anymore violence. However, as she spoke, an odd - almost alien - sensation caught her complete attention. Her mouth felt very strange. She reached out to touch it, and sure enough, it was pointed into a beak. She quivered in horror, and fought down the urge to break down into hysterics. “I'm fine,” she began, before looking down at her hands sadly. “More or less.”
Akane didn't even bother to turn to face Nabiki, her eyes glued on Yoshi in horror. Her battle aura had coiled down into a tight red glow, no longer a blazing firestorm. She was still angry, though now she was in control of it.
The rest of the tavern patrons began to cluster around Akane and Nabiki, while Paulie began stuffing their gambling winnings into his pockets. Some of the patrons were fearful, some were angry, while others drooled in anticipation. There were pirates in this city, Nabiki remembered. Many would welcome a bar brawl...
Yoshi picked himself up, still breathing shallowly. He glared at Akane angrily. “She ate my Devil Fruit, you stupid bitch!” he spat. “That's why!”
Akane narrowed her eyes at him, and flared her battle aura for a second. The man's sudden burst of courage dissolved, and he fell to the ground quivering.
Paulie finished cramming his pockets with beli, and turned to the two girls. “We should leave,” he suggested, biting hard on his cigar, “before we cause more trouble.”
The bartender seemed to agree. She hobbled through the crowd, waving a rifle dementedly through the air. “Get out of my bar, you monsters!” she shrieked, firing a booming, echoing shot into the roof with the rifle. The crowd scattered away from her, and some began to filter back to their seats. “No more trouble!
Akane gave one last defiant glare at both Yoshi and the bartender, and the glow of her battle aura faded out. She marched towards the exit, her footsteps quaking the hard floor fiercely. The crowd quickly parted for her, fearful of the promise of violence that glowed in her eyes. “Let's go,” she ordered, motioning for Paulie and Nabiki to follow.
After Akane passed, the patron's eyes never left Nabiki as she followed Akane out. Their slack-jawed gawking made her feel even more like a misshapen monster. She was glad to leave there.

“Woo! That was close! I'd hate to get chased off the island for beating up a whole bar!” Paulie cheered zealously. They were currently outside in a back alley, out of sight and recovering from the earlier events. It was late afternoon, and the sun was just beginning its descent.
His cheerfulness was lost on the two women. “What's your guys' problem?” he mumbled. They had won, and the girl had gotten some Devil Fruit powers out of it. He had seen a few pirates that had them working at Water 7, and he knew many men in the world would kill for those abilities. “Devil Fruit powers aren't so bad!”
“I look like a monster! That's the problem!” Nabiki snapped irritably, venom dripping from her words. `Idiot.' She took deep breaths, trying her best to avoid falling into hysterics. She needed to be calm.
She looked down at her feathered arms, and began to study the changes to herself.
She hadn't noticed them before, but huge wings had sprouted from her back. She flapped them experimentally, creating a strong gust. They felt strong, and she was sure she'd be able to fly with them. She played with them a bit, and extended them outwards to their full span, filling the alleyway with their size. It felt very awkward to suddenly have an extra pair of limbs to use.
She'd grown a little taller, and a little wider, as well. She also felt sturdier and stronger, yet lighter at the same time. She was covered in feathers, with the exception of her hands and feet, which both ended in same scaly black talons. Her clothes had somehow stretched and changed to conform to her transformation, stretching in ways the physics should not have allowed.
She gazed down at a puddle of water, examining her face in the reflection. Eerily yellow eyes stared back at her. Her hair was still there, though with her wickedly pointed beak, her face resembled a bird's much more than a human's.
“Looks like the Tori Tori fruit,” Paulie commented, offhand.
She would have bit her lip if she still had one. “I'm a raven,” she declared, sadly.
“How do you know you're not a crow?” Paulie quirked his eyebrow, before blowing out a stream of smoky air from his cigar.
Nabiki blinked, not sure why she was so sure she was one and not the other. The answer was inside her somehow. “I… just… I just know.”
“Well, now you REALLY like a devil, Devil Girl!” he laughed. Akane punched him hard in the cheek, making him spit out his cigar in surprise. “Sorry,” he mumbled, clutching his hurting cheek.
Nabiki fought the urge to break down again. Her eyes met the ground in shame. “I'm hideous.”
Akane ran her hands through her hair in contemplation. If Nabiki was no longer human, then maybe Springs of Jusenkyo would be an easy way to put her back. “Maybe we can use the Nyannichuan,” she suggested, trying her best to look her sister in the eye. Crushing the urge to look away was difficult.
“Nyannichuan?” Paulie asked, baffled. “What's that?”
“Spring of Drowned Girl. It's magic,” Akane explained. “If you fall in, you change into whatever drowned there. It could cure her…”
Paulie blinked in surprise, and was about to ask another question when Nabiki interrupted him.
“We don't have time to go looking for that,” Nabiki answered somberly to her sibling. She had resigned herself. “I'm stuck like this.”
Akane was silent, unsure of what she could do to comfort her sister.
“Uh… You know it isn't permanent, right?” Paulie asked. “If it turned you into an animal, then I think it's one of those zone type fruits or whatever.” He thought that was what they were called. He remembered reading about the new king of Drum Country in the paper recently, and how the new leader apparently had the Devil Fruit power to change into a bison.
Nabiki's eyes widened in surprise. Did he mean zoan? They had learned a little about Devil Fruits in school, and knew some of the basics. Zoan types let their users change into animals and hybrid animals. This was probably her hybrid form. Was it possible she could control the transformation and change back? She closed her eyes, and began to focus.
`Go back to human, go back to human, go back to human…'
She felt a strange shifting and creaking swiftly pass through her body. She took a deep breath, and then opened her eyes. Pink fingers wiggled where sharp claws were before. The beautiful shimmer everything had was gone too, and colours were normal again. She was completely human!
“Yes!” she sang joyously, hugging herself tightly.
Paulie puffed up with pride. “See, moron? I was right!” he jibed, his tone insufferable. Nabiki just rolled her eyes.
Akane felt as if a great weight was lifted from her, and let loose a huge sigh of relief. She grinned happily at Nabiki. “Hey, let's get back to the ship,” she said, as she jabbed her finger at Paulie. “You still have to look at it!”
“But it's late!” the carpenter whined pathetically.
“Too bad!”

`Where IS HE?'
Tofu marched through the streets, his arms swinging heavy grocery bags. His patience was shot, and he wanted to go home.
No sooner than they had left the group earlier that day, Genma had vanished without a trace, taking half of the beli they needed for the shopping and leaving Tofu to get the medical supplies himself.
He had spent a huge chunk of time bartering for extra supplies. Just because he couldn't afford enough because of Genma, he refused to settle for less than what he needed. The Grand Line was a cruel place, and he wouldn't allow the rest of the crew to foolishly lose their lives because he didn't have enough bandages.
He still couldn't believe they had chosen this path. They barely escaped from Nerima with their lives, and they decided they wanted to become hunted outlaws? Maybe they did need to raid and fight to rescue Kasumi and the others, but did they have to do it all under the Jolly Roger? Traveling under a pirate's banner… If his mother ever found it, he'd never hear the end of it…
Speaking of his mother, he still had to find a way to contact her somehow. No doubt she had heard of Nerima's destruction. She'd already lost his father, and to think that he was gone as well… Well, that would be the end of her.
He grimaced, remembering his father. He was murdered by pirates while he was just a boy, and as a result, Tofu had grown up detesting them. He knew all pirates weren't criminals, as many were freedom fighters or simply anarchists, but he still held his bias.
And now he was a pirate. He was so torn. He wanted to help everybody, to find Ranma, and… to rescue sweet Kasumi. He was being unfair to Akane, he realized, but still… he felt as if he was betraying his father's memory doing it this way.
Despite that, the Bello Amora was still being hunted by the marines… He would save Kasumi, the woman he had secretly been in love with for so long. To think anyone would want to hurt sweet, selfless Kasumi. His glasses fogged up at the thought of her loveliness.
But perhaps the Bello Amora would be all right. Some of the other Martial Artists in Nerima were still unaccounted for and could be protecting them. Soun Tendo and the Joketsuzoku were still unaccounted for, and the Lost Boy Ryouga always seemed to show up at the right time.
His reverie was broken as he turned a corner and noticed a tavern. He wasn't THERE, was he? Knowing Genma… Tofu sighed, and made his path to the entrance. He chuckled at the sign, hanging over the establishment.
“Seven Swords Tavern:
Much Better than Six Sabers Tavern.”
He entered, and found himself in the midst of a rather empty bar. It wasn't very popular, but at least it was clean. He looked around, and sure enough, he found Genma passed out at the bar counter, drooling. Mugs and bottles were scattered all over.
“Kami, what have you done to yourself?” he muttered, checking to make sure he was still breathing. At least he knew where the other half of the money went, now… Was the fool trying to drink himself to death?
`I suppose I should take him back,' Tofu thought. He couldn't just leave him here.
He tied his two grocery bags together, and flipped the combined bags over his shoulder. Then with a grunt, he hefted Genma onto his back. The drunken man groaned as Tofu pulled his arms around his neck, and hooked his own arms around Genma's legs. Genma, while not exactly fat, was still stout and heavy. Tofu didn't quite have the super strength like many of the martial artists on the crew, but managed Genma's weight just fine. He left the bar, giving the smirking bartender a nod, and heading out to the evening and back to the ship.
The aging Martial Artist was not quite unconscious, Tofu found. He kept mumbling to himself in his drunken stupor, like he was stuck in a terrifying nightmare. “No-chan…” he groaned. “Sorry… couldn't save you…”
Tofu searched his memory. No-chan? Did he mean Nodoka? Did he believe his wife dead? It was certainly a possibility. She wasn't accounted for at all. If Genma truly believed his wife lost, he carried it well enough on the ship. Perhaps drinking was his way of dealing with it?
He kept babbling. “Will find…Ranma… Promise…” Tofu kept walking, a little touched at Genma's unconscious concern for his family.
Ten minutes later, Genma groaned awake. “Tofu?” he asked, becoming aware of his position on the doctor's back.
”Hm?” the doctor queried, still walking solemnly back to the ship.
“Thanks…” Genma managed, still quite drunk. After a few moments, he spoke again. “Tofu?”
“Yeah?”
“Don't tell Akane.” At that, Genma's head dropped, and a few moments later he signaled his exhaustion with a snore. Genma was asleep once more.
It was easy to see why Genma did not want Akane to know. Not only would Akane be terribly upset as captain, she had developed a lot of admiration of Genma in the last few months as her teacher. Perhaps he didn't want to disappoint her?
He decided to keep his `patient's' secret confidential for now, though if his drinking got any worse…
A bucket of water suddenly emptied from a windowsill, and water cascaded down to them, drenching them both. Genma's curse was triggered, transforming him into his massive panda form. Not able to support the gargantuan weight, Tofu yelped as his body collapsed face first onto the ground, crumpling underneath the girth of Genma's bear body. The doctor tried to struggle out, but found himself pinned. The panda kept snoring, not even noticing the tumble.
“Help!” he called, hoping to get someone's attention. The streets were deserted. It was getting dark, though, and most people had returned home to their families.
After a few moments, Tofu sighed, and began squirming to make himself more comfortable. “Well, this certainly sucks.”

The trio arrived back at the Blue Thunder as the afternoon sun began its descent into the evening sky. Akane had left her sister and Paulie rather abruptly, leaving Nabiki to watch Paulie dance around the ship as he checked things over. The others were nowhere to be found, though to Nabiki's pleasure there was a brand new refrigerator in the galley, loaded with food.
The carpenter worked rapidly, tearing open floorboards and investigating leaks and cracks. He returned to Nabiki in the galley after half an hour. The new raven girl was reclining back in a chair at the table, munching on a piece of bread.
He scowled in frustration, scratching at his stubble. “What's up with this ship?”
“Pardon?” Nabiki asked, shielding her apprehension with a bit of confusion.
“It's NEW. And it's a CARAVEL!” he exclaimed loudly, like it was the most obvious thing in the world. He took a puff from his cigar, and leaned up against one of the galley counters.
“And…?” Nabiki trailed off, still not sure what he was babbling about.
“That's weird! Caravels are an older type of ship! This is a new caravel!” That wasn't quite true, Paulie thought. It was like a caravel, but not quite. The sail designs were more efficiently designed, and the frame was shaped more for speed. It was almost like a modern day version of one, upgraded to perform like a newer ship was expected. “People just don't build new models of old ships!”
“You'd have to ask Kuno-chan,” Nabiki explained. “It's actually his ship. Is that all?”
“Well, aside from the weirdness--,” he said as he helped himself to an apple from the fridge. He sat himself across the table from Nabiki before continuing, “--there are a few major leeks that need to be patched up. If it's not done, you'll have problems.”
Nabiki nodded, her worry ebbing away. “How long?”
“Just a few hours of work,” he replied in between mouthfuls. They sat silently, munching slowly on their snacks. “So…” he began, his curiosity getting the better of him. “What's with your sister? Akane?”
“Akane?” Nabiki placed her elbows on the table and knitted her fingers together. “The pressure of protecting what's left… It's hard for her. ”
“Our father and eldest sister are missing, and our mother died when we were young,” she explained.
Paulie flushed slightly, embarrassed. He didn't mean to ask why the girl was so emotional. Though she just might be worse with her temper than him…
“Uh, no… I mean, uh, the crazy red glowing,” he clarified, a little embarrassed.
Nabiki chuckled lightly. “Never seen a battle aura, before?”
He shook his head.
“It's a martial arts thing,” she explained, shrugging her shoulders. “I'm the wrong person to ask.”
Paulie didn't quite understand. He was quite the fighter himself, and hadn't heard of any martial arts moves that let people glow like forest fires. “So you said your sister and dad are missing?” he asked, changing the topic.
“Yeah. We're looking for them,” she explained. “And Ranma,” she added, tersely.
Searching for family? That wasn't your typical pirate mission. “Ranma?” he asked, digging deeper.
“Akane's fiancé. He was captured by the Marines.”
So they were a pirate family of martial artists, and some of them got caught by the Government. Families of pirates weren't so uncommon in this day and age. `That must be it,' he decided, proud of his conclusion. “Sucks.”
“Yeah,” Nabiki agreed, not really willing to share anymore information with him. She staggered up from her chair, and tiredly made her way towards the door. It had been a long day. “Stay out of the fridge. I'm going to go check on Akane.”
Shrugging his shoulders, he waited for her to leave. After a few moments, he dove to the fridge and began to dig in.
Akane shambled into the captain's quarters, feeling completely drained. She collapsed herself into the wooden swivel chair, and hunched forward on to a large oak desk, and rested her head on the pile of scattered parchment. A bed sat in the corner, just below a window dressed with fine, silk drapes that billowed in the cool breeze.
She almost never used this room of the ship, opting to sleep in the hammocks with everyone else. Its only use was as a dressing room, used by her and Nabiki to dress away from the prying eyes of the men. Right now, though, she needed privacy, and the captain's quarters were the only place.
She had lost her temper earlier, which really wasn't such a strange event in itself. What bothered her was she almost killed a man, thinking he had poisoned or cursed her sister. If Yoshi's friend hadn't attacked her, there was a good chance she would have crushed his windpipe. Odd that the attack was what forced her discipline to take over; it prevented what would have been innocent blood on her hands.
She laid back in to the swivel chair, and playfully spun around in a circle. Darkness was filling the cabin as the sun set, with less and less luminance peeking through the square of the window.
She focused her thoughts on what happened earlier… Seeing Nabiki collapse to the ground, huddled in pain was too much for her. Seeing her sister change like that, into some sort of monster… It nearly sent Akane over the edge. She had been so scared that she'd lose her last piece of her family. Nabiki was all that Akane had left, now that Daddy and Kasumi were missing, possibly dead…
`I was lucky,' Akane decided. Lucky the fruit was a Devil Fruit, and not poisoned. Lucky that she had regained control from her fear and anger, and hadn't killed an innocent. `I can't let that happen again.'
What would it do for morale if she killed an innocent person in a fit? What would it do to her? She was the captain, and she had to stay strong, had to keep everyone safe. Despite her ever-growing battle skills, losing anyone else in her crew would destroy her, she realized.
…And if they couldn't get Ranma back…
She felt her stomach go tight.
She spun the swivel chair again, finding the slow twirling quite therapeutic. It would have been nice to have some bricks to break; her favorite pastime when she needed to release her tension. Nabiki would likely chide her on `frivolous and wasteful spending' and refuse the funds. Oh well, she'd likely end up accidentally punching through the deck, anyways.
She was as pirate now, maybe she could just randomly smash through someone's brick wall or something? Property damage was nothing new to her, anyways. She was no Ryouga, though she was confident she could destroy quite a bit with a strong enough blow.
She sighed, continuing her slow spin until the room filled completely with black. She stopped suddenly, hearing the door open. She pulled herself up and sat into the wooden chair properly, as a lantern lit the room with light. It was Nabiki.
“Hey,” Nabiki greeted. She deposited the lantern onto the oak desk, and sat herself at the bed. “How are you holding up?”
Akane flinched in surprise, before laughing. “Shouldn't I be asking you that?” she asked, brightly flashing a lopsided smile.
“That shook you more than it did me, didn't it?” Nabiki replied, already knowing the answer.
Akane nodded somberly. “I thought you were dying. Then, I thought you were turning into a monster.”
Nabiki simpered, and gestured towards herself. “But I'm alright,” she claimed, her tone smug. She wasn't quite sure how she felt about her new powers. Sure, she couldn't swim anymore, but her new form felt so... powerful. Why worry about swimming when you could fly? “Maybe even a little better.”
Akane scowled in dismay. “But you can't swim now!”
“You can't swim either!” Nabiki countered, teasingly.
Akane glowered, and flushed red. “NA-BI-KI!” she warned slowly.
“You must have eaten the Macho Macho Fruit when you were little! That's why you can't swim! My sister the tomboy!” Akane growled at the teasing, and Nabiki fell back into the bed, laughing and giggling.
She continued to laugh for a few more moments, before straightening herself. She saw Akane sadly staring towards the floorboards.
“That's something he would have said.” The ebony-haired girl's tone was hollow. She even missed his teasing
Nabiki's playful grin vanished and was replaced with a grimace. “Ranma?
She nodded sadly, her vision still downcast. “I miss him,” she sniffled. Her fiancé was always in the back of her mind, creating a festering wound of worry and loneliness.
Her problems from before paled before hers today, though when things were lonely and empty for her, Ranma had walked into her life and had become a pillar of strength in it. Even though they fought often, he made her feel safe, and she trusted him completely to protect her. Now that he was gone, she realized how completely vulnerable she felt without him.
Nabiki sat up on the bed, and crossed her legs. “We'll find him, Akane. We'll find everyone.”
Akane smiled at her conviction. It really was the only outcome to consider.
All the others were just too terrifying.

“Oooh…” he groaned appreciably. Konatsu was sure he had never held something so well crafted in his entire life, though that wasn't saying much.
They were a pair of long, double-edged daggers. Unlike the wakizashi he was trained in, these knives were straight, their length a bit shorter than that of his forearm. Their hilts were hardwood, finely crafted and polished, with a perfect balance and a pleasurable grip.
Both he and Kuno had decided to visit a weapon shop after bringing back the refrigerator. Kuno wanted to get his blade sharpened and polished, and Konatsu had nothing better to do, he opted to tag along.
He experimentally handled them, running through a small kata and enjoying how easily they sliced through the air. Deciding to test them further, the ninja placed himself in front of the store's large target board. The target got regular use, with other throwing weapons already embedded in it.
He casually fired the two knives at the board, and whistled in admiration. They both sunk deep into the target's red center, a perfect bulls-eye. `Sharp,' he commented, privately. `Excellent balance.'
“Oh, so you like those?” observed the shop keeper, letting loose a raspy chuckle. He was a frail, elderly man, hunched over a cane. His most prominent feature was a long scar running down his face, with an eye patch covering his left eye, perhaps marking him as a warrior earlier in his life. “You handle them quite well. They're called the Wespestiche.
“They're named?” Konatsu asked, his voice carrying a trace of dismay. “Does that mean…”
“That they're meito? No, nothing fancy like that.” The shopkeeper chuckled again. “I know the smith that forged them, and he likes to name all his creations. He figures he'll get lucky, and a great warrior will buy them and make them legend.”
“You should purchase them,” Kuno suggested. He was huddled in the corner, sitting cross-legged on the floor. He was tediously examining the sharpening and polishing job done to his blade, making sure everything was in order.
Konatsu removed the two knives from the target board, and flushed red. “Oh… I couldn't. They're probably much too expensive.” As much as he'd love to fight with these knives, he didn't have any money for anything. Ukyo never paid him much when he worked for her, and Nabiki kept an iron grip on the crew's funds. “Nabiki would never…” he trailed off, before sighing.
Kuno replaced his katana back into his scabbard, and sat it over his knees, cupping his chin in contemplation. After a moment, he rose from the floor and regarded the shopkeeper. “How much for these weapons?” he asked.
The shopkeeper grinned. “Two-hundred-thousand beli for the set.”
Kuno nodded. A fair price. He turned back to Konatsu. “I have funds of my own. I can pay half, but you must ask Nabiki for the rest. There should be more than enough in the ship's coffers to re-arm you.”
Konatsu paled. A hundred-thousand beli was gargantuan to him. For Kuno to be offering to pay half was incredibly generous, but he couldn't accept that.
But he DID need new weapons anyways. Much of his weaponry was of poor quality even when they were new. His kusarigama was nearly blunted, and much of his throwing weapons were in similar condition. A pair of sturdy knives that he could rely on would be fantastic. But could he in good conscious accept the swordsman's generosity? Could he ask Nabiki? “No, I can't accept that.”
“Nonsense,” Kuno chided. “I do not mind. There is little worth spending on myself anymore.”
“But Nabiki would never−”
“You are afraid of her!” he snorted. “Very well, continue to be treated like a servant.”
Konatsu narrowed his eyes, and glared at Kuno. Why was he being a jerk again? “I'm not a servant!” he retorted bravely. “I'll prove that to you!” he declared, marching from the store.
“Better hurry!” the shopkeeper called after the shinobi. “I'd like to close soon!”
Kuno chuckled playfully as Konatsu stomped off. “Why the fool can show backbone only towards me is beyond my comprehension...”
Konatsu stomped into the ship angrily, still bitter. He wasn't a coward or servant! He'd show Kuno! He'd go right up to Nabiki, and demand the money, and then get those two lovely daggers for himself. Kuno said it himself! He was an important part of the Akaken, and he deserved this!
He found her reclining on the deck, relaxing in the night air. “NABIKI-SAN!” he shouted loudly, deciding to forgo his usually respectful `Tendo-san.'
Nabiki jumped in surprise, not used to such force behind Konatsu's words. She struggled up, a little panicked. “Huh? What's wrong?”
He stood firmly, and glared at her, fighting the urge to back down. He could do this. He couldn't flinch now; this was an enemy, a battle! “I need one-hundred-thousand beli!” he demanded. Tersely and more quietly, he added “For some new daggers.”
“Okaaaaaaay…” Nabiki gaped at him, a bit confused. That was the big deal? He needed money for weapons? It was a good chunk of change, but most of his weapons looked pretty rusted anyways… Why not? She sighed. “A hundred-thousand?”
Konatsu shook his head hard, almost excitedly. She simpered, and pulled out her wallet and began counting bills. She handed them to the ninja, whose stern glare had cracked in dismay. “A hundred-thousand,” she confirmed, with a giggle. “Go buy yourself something pretty.”
The ninja stumbled away slowly, a bit confused. Was it really that easy?
“Oh, Konatsu-chan!” Nabiki called after him as he retreated. She grinned evilly. “Consider that a loan!”
Konatsu changed his mind. This wouldn't be easy at all.

White. Surrounded by white. The walls, sheets, drapes, furniture… Everything was white and sterile. The clothes he was wearing were white as well; simple cotton pajamas.
He clutched his head painfully, trying to get a sense of where he was. Of who he was. Everything came up blank, blank like the room. Who was he? Why couldn't he remember? He grabbed his temples, trying to focus, but nothing would come. WHO WAS HE!
The door to the room rasped open, a tall, stringy man striding through. He wore a simple black turtle neck and pants, with a white scarf wrapped around his neck. His pure white hair stood tall, swept back like tail feathers of a bird.
He looked familiar to him, though he did not know why. “Good afternoon, Ranma,” he spoke, his tone almost playful. “I see that you are awake.”
“Who are YOU?” Ranma roared angrily, clutching his head, painfully trying to remember. “WHO AM I?
“Why, you're Ranma,” he began smugly, his grin becoming feral. “And as for myself…”
“I am your father…”
To be continued…
Author's Notes:
Sorry to go all Lucas on you there at the end. Yes, he is only claiming to be Ranma's father. I'm not that lame.
Thanks to all you guys who reviewed last time! I very much appreciate the support! I hate to be one of those douches that beg for reviews, but I'm looking to improve myself as a writer, so I need to know what people think. Granted, none of you have actually given me any criticism, which is a bit problematic. Still, I know where I need to improve, and it's encouraging to know you guys like what I'm doing
Also a big thanks to my proof-readers Kaiser Convoy and Psycho King. They haven't actually proof-read this chapter at the time of writing these notes, but um, thanks in advance!
Bigger author's notes this time. I had a lot of trouble with this chapter, which is probably why I have more to say about it. Chapter name is named after a song from the Soul Calibur 2 soundtrack.
Kuno − Sometimes when you tell yourself a lie over and over, it becomes the truth to you. A small part of you knows it's never the truth, and will struggle to dispel it. Whether you lend that part of you the strength to dispel it or not is up to you.
Also, the scene in the captain's quarters. I do this thing when I've had a long day, where I just layback in my chair and spin around and let my thoughts wonder. I decided to apply it to Akane, and it resulted in a more somber and mellow scene than what I originally had. The character's responses were originally whiny and emotional, and ultimately, it felt out of character with Nabiki and Akane I've presented with you so far. I hope it jives now, because it's the most trouble with a scene I've had yet.
I'd love to write more for Genma and Tofu, but I need to get off this flipping island! Seregrently was originally one chapter, and now it's 4!
Some reviewers have asked if Nabiki has the power to fight in a significant fashion now. The answer is: not really. The zoan fruit can only enhance a character's abilities so far from their human form, and face it: her human form is still pretty weak (compared to the rest of the cast). What the fruit has given her is an opportunity, a boost to get her started.
Anyways, the next chapter will be a Ranma chapter. I have a few loose ends to tie with the Akaken to tie in Seregrently, and then it's all Ranma.
Things to Consider
the Fridge: It's sort of weird how in One Piece, the pirates have a fridge on their ship but no obvious way to power it. I figure in a world of snail phones and magic fruit, why not magic ice crystals that keep everything cold for self efficient refrigerator?
Nabiki's Eyes: Birds in general have much better vision than humans. Their vision is more acute and precise, and they also have the ability to see colours in ultraviolet. Nabiki describing her feathers looking blue was not a mistake, as to her eye, that's what they would look like.
Tori Tori Fruit: Japanese for Bird Bird Fruit. Pell was another One Piece character who had the Tori Tori fruit, Model: Falcon. Like most animal devil fruits in One Piece, there are different models. For example, the Inu Inu (Dog Dog) Fruit has a jackal model, as well as a wolf.
I'm totally convinced Oda is going to bite me in the ass by introducing another raven character in the future.
Nyannichuan: Spring of Drowned Girl. You guys should know this.
Wespestiche: German for Wasp Sting. One Piece is nice, because it makes use of all sorts of languages besides Japanese. Gives me the flexibility for weapon, attack, and characters names in something other than Japanese.
Beli value: I probably should have mentioned this last chapter, but the value of the beli in One Piece is much similar to the yen. So, for 200,000, beli, think 2000 dollars.
Review Responses
majinbuu7985: Seems fairly obvious that it's not a Logia fruit. And I'd love to do Ranma vs. Luffy, but I can't see the two groups coming into conflict for any good reason. Sorry, I'd love to write something that action-y when Ranma and Luffy do meet, but I won't force them into conflict with each other if it's out of character.
Kitsune: Thank you for your comments! I am seriously surprised at how many non-One Piece fans this story is attracting. Seems I'm doing a good thing in pretending the reader doesn't know who any of the characters are.
Rabid Badger: Thank you for the tip, it has since been corrected. As for Ranma and sci-fi settings, for the love of all that is sacred, read the Saotome Gambit if you haven't already. Ranma and Battletech! Read it even if you don't have any idea about Battletech!