One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ Drawn ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

One Piece, it's characters and settings, belongs to Oda Eiichirou and Shonen Jump, and are being used here without permission. Rated PG-13 for language and violence, nothing more than One Piece usually has. C&C welcomed and greatly appreciated.
 
 
Drawn
Chapter 5
 
 
Several hours after having left the marine base, the horizon was just beginning to become stained by evening, bathing the shimmering gold of Kurakuda Abuka's garb in radiant fire. Though he attracted a few curious stares from the townspeople he didn't care, as he was on his way toward important business at the city dojo. Having served as a messenger and tax collector for half his short life, he knew well all the magistrates and school masters, and Master Ohtori was no different. He slipped inside unannounced and unquestioned, seeking out the man's son so that he could be led to the private quarters on the uppermost floor of the building. There Master Ohtori accepted him graciously.
 
“I'm surprised to see you out of season,” he greeted, indicating for his guest to sit. “My hatchlings haven't left their nest yet, even.”
 
“Master Ohtori. I call on you now not as a matter of business nor recreation. I bear you ill news.”
 
Being one of only a few men who took Abuka's serious tone for what it was, Ohtori fixed him with clear attention. “If you speak of Magatou, I already know.”
 
“Yes, I heard the report.” Abuka lifted his chin slightly. “But this news is of my father. I fear he has some scheme for when he takes Oyomitou tomorrow.”
 
“Tomorrow?” Master Ohtori echoed, surprised. “So soon?”
 
“Yes. He's been planning for a while, now, in secret. But more importantly.” He took a step closer to emphasize his meaning. “He's gathered warriors from all over the island; more than the usual spies and thieves. He is planning something.”
 
Ohtori considered the news gravely. “I see. But why tell me this? Are you not disobeying your father?”
 
Abuka returned his gaze with calm severity. “I am concerned only for the safety of our nation.”
 
Master Ohtori's brow furrowed; though he had known Abuka for many years and trusted him when he gave his word, this didn't seem like him. All the same he nodded carefully, hiding his apprehension. “I will keep it in consideration.”
 
Abuka nodded also, but in deep respect. “Then I will excuse myself.”
 
Their eyes met, and Ohtori felt something cold in the boy's gaze that he hadn't expected. But Abuka was gone a moment later, like a wraith, leaving him to ponder the events alone.
 
----------
 
When Zoro awoke it was to a cool breeze over the stern of the ship, drawing across his bare chest. He shivered a little, surprised that the day had progressed so far without him. He blinked lazily against the sunset as he stretched his arms behind his head. “What a day,” he muttered to himself. He was feeling admittedly improved from earlier that afternoon; he could still feel the comfortable weariness in his muscles, but it was dulled by his nap, leaving him rested and satisfied. He sighed. At the moment he was convinced that no greater feeling existed.
 
But there was something quiet about Going Merry that evening, with the splash of waves against rocks that indicated they'd anchored for the night. Usually at this hour the crew was up and about, preparing dinner or just spending the last of their energy from the day. Not that it was necessarily still—the addition of three new voices dotted the everyday banter, and he was somehow glad to hear Nami's familiar bellowing as well. And yet something seemed odd, and he soon realized that it was a simple subtraction from the normal bustle—he couldn't hear Luffy among their rambunctious crew.
 
Zoro lifted a lazy eyelid. He wasn't concerned, as he knew his captain wasn't quite comfortable with their new guests and he was entitled to do whatever he liked. But when his eye caught the sunset to his left he thought he saw a familiar figure perched on the railing. It pulled him fully awake, until a moment later when he realized what he was really seeing. He frowned severely and closed his eyes once more. “You want something?”
 
Wadou, who had for some time stood beside the ship's railing, glanced at him with a wise smile. “Didn't mean to wake you.”
 
“You didn't.” He shifted a little, uncomfortably, beneath her eyes. Wadou didn't seem to bother him like Ghost did; he sensed no malice from her, no judgment. But she reminded him of his old master, when he perceived her calm, serious demeanor, and that made him tense. He wasn't sure what his master would think of him if he saw him now, which made him all the more conscious of Wadou's actions towards him.
 
“You've been back here for a while,” she said easily. He couldn't see her, but he could somehow picture her face. He had to wonder if all great swordsmen aged like that, like Kuina's father and Master Ohtori. “Your captain was complaining.”
 
Zoro opened his eyes once more, but the failing sun shadowed most of his view of the ghost. “Luffy was?”
 
“He wanted someone to `keep the ghosts away from him'.”
 
Zoro snorted. “Little idiot.” But she was right—he'd been gone for a while now, and with a quiet groan he stretched and stood. “So you're here to flush me out?”
 
“Actually, I just wanted a moment.” She waited patiently as he tugged his shirt back on and retrieved his swords. “I know you're not happy to see me, but I thought I might try anyway.”
 
Zoro flinched as he joined her at the railing, settling on his elbows. Something thick and cold began to settle in his stomach but he stayed; because Wadou knew. She understood him, and it made him quiet. “It's not that,” he muttered, thinking he owed her that much. “I didn't really expect…well, it's just stupid. I don't believe in ghosts.”
 
Wadou smiled, obviously knowing better than that. “We don't forget everything,” she told him with quiet firmness. “I remember her, your fight. How much it meant to both of you.”
 
“That was a long time ago.” He didn't really want to talk about this; he hadn't had to since that day, so many years ago. Bringing it up now wouldn't change anything, and it certainly wouldn't make him feel any better.
 
But Wadou seemed intent on continuing, and he couldn't bring himself to request otherwise. “It was. But that doesn't mean it's forgotten.”
 
“'She hasn't forgotten you.' Is that what you wanna say?” Zoro glared at her. “I told you I don't believe in ghosts, anyway. Kuina is dead—she's gone. I'm doing this for myself, because I promised her I would, for myself. All right?”
 
Wadou just looked at him, appearing too much like Kuina's father again, but he couldn't turn away. Her dark eyes glistened warmly. “She hasn't forgotten you, Zoro.”
 
Despite his words Zoro couldn't help the subtle tightening in his chest when Wadou spoke. At last he glanced away, embarrassed and feeling suddenly raw. “How stupid,” he mumbled. He sank a little against the rail, unsure as to how to react to that, even if he'd been expecting it. But…he was glad, and he couldn't help a faint twitch of his lips—not enough to be a smile, but close.
 
Satisfied, Wadou smiled herself and stepped back. “I won't bother you any longer. But you should come see your friends soon. Not only are they wondering, but it should be time to eat.”
 
This time Zoro did grin. “It's always time to eat on Luffy's ship. But yeah, I'm coming.”
 
Wadou nodded, touching his shoulder briefly as she started back towards the front of the ship. Zoro waited a moment before following. He did feel a little better, but still oddly vulnerable, as if all those memories were still too close to his surface. He didn't expect anyone to mention it to him, as he'd never told even Luffy about his past, so he wasn't worried. They'd eat, finish the day off, get some much needed sleep, and that would be the end of it.
 
Zoro felt a few eyes fall on him when he made his appearance, but none lingered for too long. Everyone was pretty absorbed in what they were doing: Usopp and Chopper listening to a story of Bravis's, Snowrunner chatting away with Robin, and Wadou complimenting Sanji's cooking while Nami did her best to keep Luffy away from it. They'd pulled one of the tables out from Nami's workroom so they could eat out on the deck. As was only natural for him, Sanji had prepared a sizable feast. Zoro snagged himself a bottle of some kind of booze and took a long gulp. Things would soon get back to normal, like they always did. At the moment only one thing seemed out of place; Ghost, standing rigidly at the edge of the deck, his arms crossed. He was staring blindly out at Oyomi Island, his eyes vague and cold. Zoro decided it was best to leave him alone.
 
One they were all gathered they swarmed the table, snatching as much as their plates would allow—Luffy even more so. Zoro was glad to see he looked all right; he took a seat next to his captain, which may not have been a good idea given the boy's voracious appetite. The two of them together made quick work of their end of the table.
 
It wasn't until the meal was completed that Zoro realized Snowrunner had been seated beside him all along. The boy was stuffing his face just as eagerly, not allowing a single drop of food to be wasted. When he noticed Zoro looking at him he swallowed a mouthful of vegetables and grinned. “While you were gone Bravis renewed his spell on us,” he said brightly. “Which means now we'll be around until tomorrow night. Isn't that cool?”
 
Zoro rolled his eyes—he should have seen that coming. “Just great.”
 
The rest of the meal passed uneventfully; relatively so, in any case. There was the usual scramble for the last bits of food, with Luffy crawling across the table only to meet the sole of Sanji's shoe. Zoro was content just to sip his rum as he watched the others do battle, Snowrunner bouncing happily at his side. Afterwards, the three women helped Sanji clean the dishes away, to his delight, as Usopp disappeared with Chopper, Snowrunner, and Bravis below deck to prepare the sleeping quarters. Once again Zoro failed to notice where Ghost slipped off to, and didn't really care. As far as he was concerned the day was over, and once he'd returned Nami's table and finished his bottle, he was ready to relax below deck and get some sleep.
 
Zoro appeared above ground one last time just as the sun slipped below the waves, taking a deep breath of cool night air to clear his head. It was a calm night, a little chillier than usual, but with the crispness of springtime. It was tainted only with a hint of tobacco, and Zoro glanced to his right to find Sanji finishing a cigarette. “I thought you'd gone down already,” he remarked.
 
“I've got first lookout,” Sanji replied easily, his words forming in a puff of smoke. “But then I was wondering if I should drag him below first.”
 
He nodded toward the far end of the ship, where their captain still sat, alone. Zoro hadn't noticed him at first, as the boy was seated on the railing rather than his usual perch. It was quiet again, and Zoro's brow creased disconcertedly as he watched Luffy's straight back against the dying sunlight. “How long has he been out there?” he asked.
 
“I dunno. He was there when I came out.” Sanji smoked the last of his cigarette down and flicked the butt overboard. “I guess it'd make less sense to say he hadn't changed, after Crocodile and everything.”
 
Zoro frowned. “You think so?”
 
“I don't know. But this isn't normal for him, is it?”
 
He considered this a moment longer before deciding that it was somehow up to him to address. “I'll talk to him,” he offered, already starting down the steps. “And don't worry about Luffy—he's fine.”
 
Sanji scowled at his back. “Never said I was worried,” he muttered as he turned, heading for the crow's nest.
 
Zoro crossed the deck, erasing the frown from his face. Though he was making no effort to soften his footsteps Luffy didn't seem to notice until he was nearly beside him; all the better, as he hadn't decided yet what he was going to say. Talking so seriously was awkward enough without it being Luffy. He may have known their captain the longest, but their camaraderie had always been so natural that he'd never had to worry about him, no matter the situation. And he wasn't worried now, not really. Just…curious, and uneasy.
 
“Hey.” Zoro leaned sideways against the wood so he could see his captain's profile. He caught only a glance of something grim in Luffy's eyes before they changed, leaving only Luffy once more. “You gonna sleep out here in the cold?” he teased lightly.
 
“Naw. I just wanted to watch the water.” He kicked his feet lightly so that his sandals slapped against his heels. “You going down?”
 
“In a bit.” He glanced out over the ocean, letting that gentle rhythm of waves calm him. “I just wanted to make sure you're okay with all this.”
 
Luffy blinked, honestly puzzled. “With all what?”
 
Zoro scoffed a little—he wasn't sure if Luffy was more all right than he'd thought or simply evading the question. “With the ghosts,” he said bluntly. “I know you don't like them.”
 
“They're not all that bad, I guess,” Luffy replied with a shrug. “I just don't like ghosts, `cause they're sneaky.”
 
“Yeah, I guess they are.” Zoro hadn't expected Luffy to make this easy on him, but he was already getting frustrated. He had no idea how to go about asking what was really wrong—if there was something wrong—or even if he'd know if Luffy gave him a straight answer. He scratched the back of his head. “How come you're not in your usual spot?” he tried a different angle.
 
“Didn't feel like it.”
 
“You mean…” Zoro watched him carefully. “…because of Tobi?”
 
Luffy frowned, but just when Zoro thought he might have found the problem, he said, “It's not that. I thought about it, but Tobi's gone—there aren't any ghosts hiding on my ship.”
 
“Yeah.” Damn, this was stupid. This was Luffy—they'd never had a need for this kind of talk. He wasn't even convinced anything was seriously wrong. So, Luffy was taking a little time for himself—they all did it. Maybe it was even a good thing that he consider things more seriously, like the rest of them. Maybe it wasn't even Luffy Zoro was concerned with. Maybe it bothered him because he almost seemed to be looking at himself.
 
“I don't like ghosts, either,” Zoro said, turning his head to watch the sea. He wasn't sure why he was telling Luffy this, only that it felt good to tell someone. “I don't like thinking that you can die and forget all the things that were important. I'd rather not exist at all than go on like that.” Luffy straightened a little, encouraging him to go on. “But I don't think people like us will become ghosts, anyway. When I die, I know it'll be when I'm good and ready—without regrets.”
 
When Zoro risked a glance at the other, he was glad to see a faint smile on Luffy's face. “Yeah, me too. Not that I'm gonna die or sumthing.”
 
Zoro smiled, too. “Good.” There were a lot of things he could have said and explained; about Kuina, himself, his promises. There was a lot about him Luffy didn't know, might not ever know or even want to know, and he was all right with that. He almost felt, however, that he owed his captain an explanation for his behavior that afternoon. “You know, I was expecting to meet a ghost other than Wadou,” he confessed, his voice light. “That might be what bothered me the most. But now I'm kind of glad it wasn't who I thought.” His lips tipped grimly. “I think some ghosts should just stay dead.”
 
“Yeah,” Luffy agreed, his gaze still cast to the waves. “It's not like I even knew them.”
 
Zoro blinked. It took him a moment to realize what had just happened, and that he suddenly didn't know who Luffy was talking about. It occurred to him then that he might not have been the only one hiding memories—he clearly remembered Nami's reaction to their ghostly visitors, and knew she might have been just as reluctant as him to accept the things they'd said. He knew all her stories and assumed it was because she'd lost people important to her in the past. But he didn't know Luffy's, none of them did. He couldn't even begin to guess at what histories lay within his captain, the idea seemed so foreign to him.
 
“Luffy…” Anyone else would have asked for an explanation. Zoro had just admitted his own worries, after all, and he had a right to expect the same. More importantly, Luffy had never shown this side of himself, testimony to how much those ghosts were affecting him.
 
But Zoro didn't ask. He smiled, quietly, at how similar they were; he understood almost perfectly what his captain must have been going through, and that they'd even have to resolve their pasts their own way. He trusted Luffy to take care of himself, and if he ever felt like sharing more, he would listen.
 
“Maybe Sanji was wrong,” he murmured, half to himself. “You haven't changed at all—there just might be another Luffy we haven't seen before.”
 
Luffy turned his head to stare at him curiously. “What's that mean?”
 
“I mean, after Crocodile,” Zoro explained easily. “It was the first time we'd ever known you to lose a fight. We were a little worried your confidence had been shaken.”
 
“I beat him in the end,” Luffy pointed out.
 
“Yeah.” He grinned. “I wish I could have seen it.”
 
Luffy kicked his feet. “Yeah, me too. Well, not when I lost. But the end was pretty cool.”
 
“I'll bet.” Zoro watched his captain's face, his smile fading just a bit. There really wasn't anything to worry about after all. Zoro felt then that he might have understood their captain better than any of them; the losses he may have suffered, the need to deal with it on his own terms, the first bitter taste of mortality and the drive to fight past it—he had known all those things. And even if he didn't know the details, who Luffy had been talking about earlier or even where he'd gotten his hat from, this was enough. Trusting his captain implicitly would always be enough.
 
-----------
 
 
Bravis released his breath in a thick, weary sigh as he braced his back against the nearest cherry tree. He was running out of time—he could feel it even now, the way his lungs seemed to shudder with every touch of night air. He rubbed at his chest as if that would help warm him. “I have to hurry,” he murmured to himself as he pushed away from the support at his back. “But...I need them.” Returning to the ship, when Sanji was situated in the crow's nest, meant he'd probably be spotted. But he didn't have a choice; these pirates, strangers as they might be, were his only hope of retrieving Oyomitou.
 
“Up late, are we?”
 
Bravis spun around, but he was already light-headed, and with an ungraceful squawk he tumbled onto his rear. The deep laughter of Ghost the Third echoed out to him from the line of trees. “Magatou—” Bravis gulped and scrambled backwards until he was pressed once more against a thick tree trunk. “What do you want?”
 
“Just satisfying my curiosity,” Ghost replied smoothly as he finally stepped out of the shadows. He was looking unnaturally proud of himself, and Bravis quickly located the source of that confidence: the familiar chorded sheath of the Magatou itself was fastened in his belt.
 
Bravis licked his lips nervously. “How did you get that?”
 
“You mean, away from Zoro?” Ghost smirked and patted the hilt. “I picked it up while he was up on deck. I'm surprised he hasn't noticed by now. In any case, it's my sword anyway, and I'm going to need it.”
 
“Need it? What for?”
 
Ghost's eyes glinted dangerously against the night, like moonglow against a polished blade; his face was suddenly without humor. “Finishing old business.”
 
Bravis pushed himself to his feet, suddenly anxious to get away from the ancient ghost. There was a tremor in his hands as he took a few steps back. “Magatou. We…”
 
“I was pretty surprised when you showed up,” Ghost continued as he followed the smaller man's retreat. “I didn't think you'd survived our last…encounter. But I'm glad you're here now—it means I can finally end this long grudge of mine.” He paused suddenly, his eyes drifting upwards, to the trees. “That is, after I finish off whoever's spying on us.”
 
Bravis raised his gaze as well, but by then the man Ghost was speaking of had leapt down to the forest floor. He made almost no sound as he landed. For a moment Bravis considered using the distraction to slip away from Ghost, but the phantom's thick hand closed over his shoulder, holding him still.
 
“We're in the middle of a private conversation,” Ghost warned the newcomer, his free hand closing over the handle of his sword. “Go away before I kill you.”
 
“Magatou.” The stranger gathered himself to his full height; when a stray beam of moonlight slid through the trees it illuminated the blood red trim on the man's green ninja gi. Though his mouth was covered with a thin scarf his dark hair stuck out behind him in an admittedly impressive array, like the spines of a porcupine. “Or rather, Jaga Hibiki.”
 
Ghost straightened, nearly releasing Bravis in his surprise. “You…know my name?” he demanded sharply, clicking his sword out an inch. “Hibiki…” He licked his lips, as if tasting that forgotten information for himself. “What do you want?”
 
To both men's surprise, the ninja dropped to his knees in a respectful bow. “My name is Jaga Mouta,” he explained in a clipped tone. “A descendant of the Jaga Clan—your clan, Lord Magatou. When we heard you'd been revived, I came to beg your assistance.”
 
“My assistance,” Ghost echoed, unimpressed. He did, however, release his sword. “If you're really one of my descendants, you should know I don't offer my sword easily.”
 
“Yes. But my Lord.” Mouta lifted his head almost cautiously. “Tomorrow, we move against the Kurakuda, who betrayed us.”
 
Bravis gasped softly, looking quickly to see Ghost's reaction. He winced as cold fingers dug painfully into his shoulder. “Magatou….”
 
For a moment Ghost's eyes were icy cold, the muscles standing out along his jaw and neck as he glared Mouta down. Abruptly, a grin lit his features. “How…convenient. I was just headed there myself.”
 
--------
 
“Well, then.” Zoro took a step back, scratching the back of his neck as he let the moment pass into memory. “Take your time out here, but I'm going down below—there's no telling what'll happen tomorrow, right? We'll need our rest.”
 
Luffy nodded. “Right. I won't be much longer.”
 
“'Night, then.” Zoro turned to leave, but as his gaze wandered briefly to the moon-illuminated cherry grove beyond the starboard hull, he caught sight of a brief flash of movement. Someone was watching the ship. He frowned; maybe it was only a whim, or a bit of instinct, but he moved to the railing to investigate. Despite the failing light he caught the form again: Ghost the Third, standing calmly at the water's edge. His head was tilted up as if waiting.
 
Zoro took in a low breath. Though he had no intention of humoring the ghost, he had a sudden suspicious that something was wrong. Ghost shouldn't be wandering around on his own, in any case—he was a vengeful demon, after all.
 
Groaning to himself—and vowing he would regret this—Zoro followed, leaping easily to the beach. “I don't know what you want,” he began almost before he hit the ground, “but you'd better not be up to something.”
 
“Up to something?” Ghost echoed innocently. He patted the sword at his side, drawing Zoro's attention finally to it. “I'm…not up to anything at all.”