One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ Tangerine Orange ❯ Ch. 4: A New Family ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: If I own One Piece or anything related to therein, then let my readers be struck by pestilence!

Chapter 4: A New Family

Nami found her tongue frozen solid as she stared at the rag-tag group of pirates whose house she had so conveniently broken into. She realized quite well that she was completely at their mercy, and one wrong word would have her kicked out of the house, or worse. She wasn't sure that any story, even the truth, would be enough to convince these pirates to let her stay in the house. She also didn't exactly look the part of a princess, after living as a maid for so many years, and everyone thought that she was dead. If these pirates had ever been to her kingdom, which was likely, then they were apt to think she was dead too. However, she absolutely had to stay in this house, as she had nowhere else to go, and no way of getting off the island. For one of the few times in her life, she was without an idea, or a plan.

The pirates in the room were getting more and more restless as they watched her in anticipation, and the white-haired man looked as though he could very well chuck her out the window right then. Nami was becoming more and more desperate, but she still balked at the idea of telling them the whole story. But as soon as she thought this Mr. Prince's words came back to her. "All you have to do is try." She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. He was right. She had made the decision of her own conviction to escape the kingdom, even if that meant taking risks. She opened her eyes and looked each of the pirates evenly in the eye, until she locked eyes with Shanks.

"My story is rather long, and a bit unbelievable, but if you are willing to listen to me, I will tell you everything."

Shanks looked at her calmly for a moment, then nodded and leaned back. "Very well, we'll listen. And from the looks of things, I can tell it is going to be very interesting."

Nami breathed a small sigh of relief, then noticed that the rest of the pirates had followed suit and made themselves comfortable on their respective beds. Encouraged by this, she took a deep breath and began.

***

Sanji was thoroughly pissed. "Disconsolate" or "out-of-sorts" might have been nicer terms for it, but he admitted to himself that "thoroughly pissed" sounded closer to what he felt. Following his spat with his grandfather, he had changed out of his wet clothes into the clothes that had been laid out for him on his bed, only to be summoned immediately afterwards to the throne room where his grandfather was meeting with the messenger from Alabasta. As he stalked down the hallway the guards and servants beat hasty retreats in the wake of the scowling, unsteady-looking prince.

Sanji walked briskly into the throne room, brushing off the courtier who wanted to formally announce him. No reason to give the messenger any indication that he was going to be gracious about any of this.

The messenger in question had just opened his scroll was reading off the contents to the peg-legged King.

"To His Majesty King Zeff of the Kingdom of Baratie, we wish you good tidings. Following our previous liaisons, we agree to the terms proposed by yourself and the Crown Prince. By uniting Princess Vivi and Prince Sanji in matrimony, we hope to solidify ties of peace and harmony between our prestigious kingdoms. In one month's time I shall bring my daughter to Baratie so that the ceremony may take place and the terms of peace agreed upon. Signed, Nefertari Cobra. King of Alabasta."

The messenger closed the scroll with a snap, and then looked at the lounging King expectantly.

Zeff merely snorted and said, "Short and precise as always, Cobra doesn't like wasting any more ink and parchment than he has to. Well, tell him that we agree, and will have the arrangements made in a month. Just make sure that he KEEPS to his promised date, or I'll reconsider the whole marriage."

The messenger nodded nervously. "Yes, sire. And shall I include any words from the Crown Prince to her highness Princess Vivi?"

"You can tell her that I think this whole charade is a joke and that I have no intention of marrying her."

The messenger yelped and spun around to find Sanji standing directly behind him with an expression on his face that gave the impression that he could chew nails.

"Tell her that none of this was decided with my permission or consultation, or with any consideration to my feelings or opinion, and that if they DO show up here in one month, then I will make sure that I am certainly not here!" he yelled into the face of the now cowering messenger.

Zeff stood up, his face a mask of towering rage. "SANJI! Whatever the hell you think you're doing, stop it! This marriage WILL take place, whether you like it or not! So quit being such a freaking child!"

Sanji turned his equally murderous glare from the messenger to look his grandfather squarely in the eye. "If this is being childish, then I shudder to think of what it means to be an adult. I am not some toy to be passed around as you like!" With that he stomped out of the room, leaving the others in stunned silence.

The messenger turned back meekly to the King and asked, "Shall I add anything, sire?"

Zeff let out his breath in an explosive huff, then settled back into his throne, "No, just forget it. And don't mention Sanji's outburst either. Just get the message to Cobra that we expect him in one month."

The messenger nodded and quickly fled from the room, before he could be on the receiving end of any more shouting matches.

Zeff sighed, and cast his eyes to the ceiling. He and Sanji were too alike for his own good, most notably their stubbornness. While it was a good trait sometimes to have in a king, it made dealing with a prince very difficult.

Sanji rampaged through the halls back to his quarters, taking out his frustration on passing tables and chairs. When he reached his room he found two of the palace guards waiting by the door.

"Prince! Are you trying to destroy the kingdom or something!? Why are you wasting a marriage opportunity like this!?"

Sanji snorted with disdain. "Shut your trap, Patti. This is MY goddamn life, and I'll live it as I please. So quit repeating what that old man says and butt out."

The large man sputtered and growled at being reprimanded, but his partner barged on. "King Zeff always says that this is for your sake! He wants you to be able to support this kingdom with your inheritance!"

"Inheritance is a circumstance of birth, Carne. The kingdom is one thing, the marriage is another," Sanji replied. His patience was wearing very thin by now, so with no further ceremony he casually kicked the two offending guards out of his way and smartly slammed the door behind him.

Once inside he tore off his formal clothes and changed into another black suit, which he viewed as more classy than any royal trappings they put on him. The fear that had been niggling at him for months now had finally grown into a major problem that hovered over his head like an impending storm cloud. The day before he might have given the marriage proposal a second's more thought, but after today he was adamant. He was NOT going to consider marriage with anybody, royalty or not, until he saw that girl again. He had told her that she should escape Alvida's clutches, and wanted to make sure that she had. Nobody deserved to be a maid under Alvida, for it was sure to drive her past the breaking point of insanity.

With this resolution in mind, Sanji opened one of the windows in his room and agilely jumped down, heading back to the neighboring kingdom.

***

As Nami finished telling her tale, she was surprised to see that all of the pirates were riveted to her. Well, with the exception of Zoro, who had fallen asleep. She looked apprehensively at each in turn, before again settling her eyes on the captain. "Well?" she challenged. "What do you plan to do now that you've heard my story?"

Shanks stood up and looked up thoughtfully at the ceiling. When he looked back down he was smiling; a genuine, gratified kind of smile that Nami had seen so little of in her life as of late.

"I plan to let you stay here, in return for your cartography skills and help around the house," he replied, before turning to the rest of his crew. "You guys got any problems with that!?"

Luffy and Usopp shook their heads wildly, while Chopper shyly followed suit. Bon Clay looked so happy he looked like he was about to start dancing, and Smoker just scowled and remained silent. Zoro's snores answered for him.

Shanks clapped a hand on Nami's shoulder. "It's decided then! Welcome to our rag-tag little bunch, Nami-chan!"

Relief surged through Nami as she smiled in return. She did it! She had run away from Alvida and actually found a place to stay! She wasn't sure what to say, so she just looked at them all gratefully. But when Shanks suddenly frowned her enthusiasm waned a bit.

"What concerns me though is the matter of this Alvida. We've sailed around a lot, so we've heard a good deal about her. From what I've heard, she's a nasty customer. Doesn't like not getting her way, and certainly hates it when people defy her or escape. Since we are pirates, we do have to go out to sea in order to conduct our business. This cottage is merely a base of sorts. We can't always be here to make sure nothing happens. Therefore, I am going to have to take precautions against this."

Nami felt her heart sinking lower. "What kind of precautions? I can take care of myself while you are gone."

Shanks nodded sagely, and ran a hand over his shallow beard. "I don't doubt that you're capable, but I must take a precaution nonetheless. Alvida IS a queen, after all. She has an almost infinite array of people at her command if she so wishes to deploy them. Therefore, when we must go off on one of our voyages, I will leave one or two of my men here behind in order to watch out for you." He said the latter part with a tone of finality that even Nami didn't want to challenge.

Nami sighed and nodded, realize it was useless at this point to argue further. Still, even if he did agree to let her stay with them, this didn't seem like he was being very trusting of her. Even if what he said was partly true.

Shanks noticed her crestfallen look, then smiled again. "Besides, I don't want my first-class cartographer and navigator to be put in any harm. If you want, think of this as a sort of insurance for my maps."

She looked up at him sharply, and was unable to find any wavering in his eyes or his smile. She let out an explosive breath, and then extended her hand. "It's a deal, Captain Shanks."

Shanks just grinned even more broadly, and accepted her handshake. "Excellent! Well then, this has all turned out great. I suggest we all turn in for the night, and tomorrow morning we can discuss your maps, and who is going to stay here first."

Nami smiled in return. "That sounds like a good idea. Well, then, sleep tight, all." Smiling devilishly she lay back down on the bed and pulled the covers over her head before anybody could speak.

" Hey, wait-" Shanks tried to object, but was answered only with soft breathing. He stood with his mouth slightly agape, while the rest of his pirate crew went about their business getting ready for bed. "Where am I supposed to sleep . . ."?

"Don't worry, Captain-chan!" Bon Clay cried, throwing an arm around his shoulders. "You can bunk with little ole me tonight!"

Shanks tried to stop himself from visibly twitching.

***

Alvida gazed coolly at Buggy who had returned promptly from his mission, without Nami. "Is the job done, Buggy? I want no lies or half-truths!"

"Flashily done, your highness. Wasn't much trouble at all," Buggy replied with a little flourish. But Alvida noticed that he wasn't meeting her eyes directly. Being somebody who was naturally suspicious and used to having her face gazed at often, a knot of worry began to twist in her stomach.

"And? Did you bring back proof of her death?" she snapped. "Her heart? Eyes? Head, preferably? I must have proof!"

Buggy held up a hand and said, "No need for hastiness, highness! I have her heart right here in this box." He held up the box in question as one might present a particularly nice gift.

Alvida sighed in relief and then reached for it imperiously. "Well then? Give it here! I want to see it with my own eyes!" Buggy came forward, and then jumped back slightly when Alvida greedily snatched it from his hands. When Alvida opened the box she was rewarded with the sight of a recently removed heart. While Buggy recoiled slightly from the unseemly smell coming from it, Alvida simply sighed in pleasure and closed the lid lightly. "Now I can finally be at peace!" she cried.

Tucking the box in her robes she swept from the room, ignoring Buggy and anyone else on the way to her chambers. Once inside she locked the doors and went immediately to her mirror.

Rapping her knuckles quickly on the glass, she cried, "Mirror mirror on the wall, who in all the four blues is the fairest of them all!?"

The face of the despondent mirror appeared, and to her surprise was quaking in more fear than usual. "T-though it pains me more than I c-can bear, t-t-th-thou are not the most wondrous fair!"

Alvida started and gave the mirror her most piercing glare. "Impossible, you foolish mirror! Look here!" With that she opened the box with a flourish. "See this? This is the heart of Tangerine Orange, that stupid little girl who you said was more fair than I. And since this is her heart, she is dead! Therefore there can be nobody in the world who is more fair than me!"

The mirror looked as though it wanted to die right then, but continued on. "Thou has been deceived, oh great Queen of lore. That is not the heart of the princess, but of a wild boar."

The blood began to drain from Alvida's face and her hands quivered as she slowly closed the lid of the box. She turned slowly away from the mirror and was very still for a moment. Then giving an ear-piercing shriek she threw the box through the window, shattering the glass. She whirled around and grabbed the mirror by its sides and shook it wildly. "Tell me! Tell me, you idiot mirror! Where is she! I will find her and kill her if it is the last thing I do!"

The mirror gave a shaky cry, and held up his hands to shield his face. In a quavering voice he answered, "T-the princess with orange hair lies in a forest beyond, under the protection of seven p-pirates, of whom she is most fond."

Alvida hissed, then slowly released the mirror from her iron grip. She paced around the room a few times muttering to herself. "Pirates, that just complicates matters. Leave it to Nami to go around associating with boorish outlaws. I never even heard of pirates who stay in one place for too long." Turning around sharply she snapped her fingers at the mirror, which was still very rattled, and said, "Mirror! Tell me where this forest is, and when those pirates are going to leave. If they are any sort of pirates worth their mettle then they'll have to go out plundering eventually."

The mirror hastily replied, "The forest of which you speak lies on the large island which is neighbor to your kingdom."

Alvida arched one slim eyebrow. "That wasn't in verse."

The mirror gulped and replied, "I have unfortunately run out of creativity for the day, o mistress! Please forgive the lack of poetry!"

"Whatever. Are you SURE that is where the little brat is hiding?"

"Without a doubt, my queen!"

"Good. Alert me the SECOND the pirates leave or look like they are about to leave. I'm going to go make preparations." Turning on her heel, she marched smartly out of her chambers, locking the door behind her as she always did.

After thanking the Four Blues and whatever gods there might be in the world, the mirror waited for the pirates to move, knowing too well that it was better not to ask what sort of "preparations" the queen had in mind.

***

Nami awoke before any of the pirates had stirred from their beds. After sitting up and rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she looked fondly around the room as they collectively snored loud enough to wake the dead. It was a wonder she got any sleep. She didn't see Shanks however, and figured him to be already up doing his morning routine, whatever it was. She swung her legs off the bed; only to quickly pull them back up to avoid stepping on the body that littered the floor. Shanks had taken up residence between her and Bon Clay's bed on the floor where he was stretched out and snoring lightly. She smiled guiltily. She would have to find or make herself another bed somewhere; she couldn't keep stealing the captain's sleeping quarters forever. She tiptoed out of the room so as not to wake anyone and proceeded downstairs to where the bathroom was. After she brushed her hair and teeth and made herself look presentable, she started making preparations in the kitchen.

`I'm not that much of a cook, but I can at least manage bacon and eggs for them,' she thought.

It took her a while to prepare so much food for so many people, and when she was about 3/4 done she felt several pairs of eyes boring holes her back. Whirling around she found Luffy, Usopp, Chopper, and Bon Clay staring ravenously as she cooked.

"Um, good morning!" she said hopefully cheerfully. "I'll have breakfast ready soon, so . . . why don't you just sit at the table and wait, okay?"

"WAHOO!!!" the four yelled as they raced around the table yelling at the top of their lungs, "FOOD! FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!"

Nami just smiled hesitantly and returned to the stove. Lumbering sounds on the stairs indicated that Shanks, Smoker, and Zoro had decided to join them. Shanks took a moment to admire Nami's handiwork whilst the other two found their places and tried to ignore the noise.

"Well, you have certainly brightened up breakfast for us! I admit it's a relief not to have to cook anymore," Shanks commented.

"You did the cooking, Captain?"

"Oh yes, I was the only one with any competency at it. The others did their share but to be honest I didn't look forward to those days very much," he replied with a shameful grin.

Nami just smiled and said, "It does you credit for sticking with them for so long."

"Nah, it's not that much of a trial. Just try spending some time with them; you'll start to see what's so charming about them. I guarantee it." He grinned goofily at her then joined his men at the table, simultaneously pulling Luffy, Usopp, Chopper, and Bon Clay into their seats.

After a (relatively) quiet breakfast, Shanks stood up with a satisfied smirk on his face. "Well, this has certainly been one of our more successful meals in a long time. Unfortunately we cannot stay for lunch and dinner, as I have another place planned for us to go to today."

The others made sounds of disappointment, except for Smoker who merely grunted and Zoro who remained silent. Shanks held up a hand to quell them, then looked directly at Nami.

"Nami, as our cartographer I regret to inform you that we are rather low on ink and paper and tools. That's one reason we have to head out today, so that we can pick up supplies for you. Is there anything else?"

Nami looked at the ceiling thoughtfully before answering. "Well, I suppose we could use some more foodstuffs, you're very low. And some extra clothes would be nice, I wasn't able to bring very much with me when I left Alvida's castle."

Shanks nodded in agreement while Smoker looked fairly scandalized. "Are you implying that we are going to have to SHOP?"

Nami returned his look and said, "Yes, if you want me living here. I'm not asking for a lot, just some decent clothes!"

"It is no problem, little signet!" Bon Clay answered with a wave of his hand. "As the only one here in proper touch with his feminine side, I shall be the one to choose only the most desirable of clothes for you!"

Nami smiled graciously. "Thank you, Bon Clay. Of course I'll be giving everything a close inspection when you bring it." The last was said with a fairly calculating glint in her eyes.

Zoro took note of this and snorted softly. "Manipulative woman."

Nami didn't dignify that with an answer, but she registered it away in her mind. What was his problem anyway?

Shanks cleared his throat and continued, after he pushed jubilant Bon Clay back into his seat. "In that case, we'll pick up everything on our little cruise. Now, in terms of insurance for your safety, Nami."

Nami looked sharply at him and the rest looked at each other questioningly.

"I don't really know what sort of person or thing Alvida will send after you, at least not right now. She might not even know you are gone yet. However, it is still a concern and I don't want you or this house getting smashed to pieces. Therefore, I have decided to leave Zoro behind this time as your protection."

"HUH!?" Zoro and Nami simultaneously said. The others just grinned at the two of them before getting up to clear the dishes.

"Zoro is one of my strongest fighters, and I'm confident he won't let anything happen to you. And, with the exception of Luffy, he's been with me the longest, so he can fill you in on anything you need to know. And he is due for a rest anyway, he gets a little too excitable when he fights." Shanks tone booked no argument.

Zoro and Nami gazed at each other uncertainly as the others made ready to leave. Nami in particular wasn't sure what to do with this man who didn't seem to trust her. Shanks had said that she would see the charm in them after spending time with them. This was certainly a test to find anything charming!

***

Alvida had summoned the strongest swordsman she could get her hands on. After taking care of Buggy and his incompetent self, she reluctantly dipped into her treasury to hire somebody of better reputation and brains than her foolish clown. Unfortunately, he wasn't bought with money alone.

"And why should I stir myself for such a venture?" the man in black asked.

Alvida sniffed but didn't give him any tongue-lashings. The man was dangerous enough to put even her on edge, and she needed him, disrespectful as he was. He didn't even kneel or bow in her presence! She really had to get someone to build the throne platform higher.

"Apart from the generous sum I am offering," she replied, "the girl is currently in the company of a band of pirates. Surely a swordsman of your caliber would not refuse the chance to fight a worthy opponent?"

"I have yet to see if these so-called pirates are worthy opponents."

She mentally checked herself before replying in what she hoped was a soothing voice. "How can you tell if they are worthy before you have laid eyes on them?"

The man met her gaze with a piercing one and she fought to keep herself from sweating. "I suppose there is truth to what you say. Very well, I will go to this island and see if it is worth my time. But trust me, if this turns out to be for nothing then I certainly won't return here for any prospective challenge. Unless I find a better reason to."

Alvida smiled with some effort while trying to ignore the terror emanating from him. "Agreed, Hawk Eyes."

***

[Author's Note]

Wow, that chapter took a long time to finish. I apologize for the months it took me to get this out, but college waits for nobody. Now that it's summer I should have these chapters out faster, and come fall I'll have my own room and more flexibility in my schedule for fanfic writing.

Next time! Nami tries to get along with Zoro and get him to talk, whilst our eager prince finds his way to his heart's desire. Also, what waits for them in the wake of the dreaded Hawk Eyes? You'll just have to agonize over that cliffhanger until the next chapter!