Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cello Jello ❯ Vol. Six: Chapter Seventeen: Cat Brawl ( Chapter 17 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Cat Brawl

Things are getting ugly. Today, Doll Face looked out her window and sneered.

“What the hell?!” she shouted. A new wine shop across from hers opened for business. Already, she hated the bright pink lights. Who the hell do they think they are? A cute Japanese woman walked outside and flipped the sigh to open. Doll Face gritted her teeth. Oh hell no!

“Christine!” she shouted. “Get down here now!” The woman glared out the window as her daughter dragged her feet behind her.

“What is it?” she mumbled half-asleep. Doll Face put her hands on her hips.

“Look outside!” she barked. “Look at this garbage outside!”

“Huh?” Christine asked. She walked up to the window. The wine store flashed all of its pink glory. Christine shrugged her shoulders.

“So?” she asked. Doll Face gritted her teeth.

“They're invading our turf!” she shouted.

“They just opened.”

“That's the problem!”

Christine tilted her head. “But they just opened today.”

“Don't you get it?!”

“Get what?”

Doll Face sighed, resisting the urge to smack her daughter. “Look! We are the best in this city! I refuse to have some bitch steal it from me!” Christine rolled her eyes, pressing her palm to her forehead. Oh boy…

--------

10:00 a.m.

Doll Face declared war. The work day was the battlefield. She kept her eye across the street.

“Christine,” she said. “I need you to do a little spying for me.” Her daughter groaned. How did I know this was coming? She sighed, dropping her shoulders.

“Fine,” Christine said aloud. She walked out the door. Her mother smirked as the bells about jingled. The first customer of the day walked in. Three bottle sold and not much movement from her daughter yet.

11:28 a.m.

Eight more customers came by. Thirty-seven bottles were sold. They bought the pricy wine too. Doll Face grinned as she swiped the card.

“Thank you, come again!” she said. Doll Face glanced out the window and saw a young couple entering the wine shop across the street. The woman sneered as they disappeared into the shop. Doll Face forced herself to smile. I will not lose to them! She put on her perky face as another couple walked into her store. Please get me something good, Christine! Mama needs to stay on top here!

12:30 p.m.

Lunchtime rolled around. Doll Face kept one eye out the window. Christine still hadn't returned. The Italian woman tapped her foot under the table. She looked at her cell phone. Why hasn't she given me anything? She took a sip of sake. Come on! Give me something already! Doll Face bit into her turkey curry sandwich. She noticed a guy standing outside, looking in. Doll Face tried to shoo him off.

“I'm on break right now!” she shouted. “Come back later!” The man stood outside, staring.

“Gon on!” Doll Face shouted. “Get going!” When that failed, she got up and pointed to the “On Break” sign. The man walked off to the store across the street. Doll Face sneered, cursing herself. I will not lose to them! She looked at her cell phone again. Come on, Christine! Give me some good news!

--------

By five in evening, Christine returned to the shop. Doll Face raced to the glass doors.

“What did you get?” she asked.

“Can I come in first?” her daughter asked. Her mother pushed open the door.

“Okay, talk to me!” she said.

“Alright,” Christine said. “The owner's name is Shinobu.”

“Go on.”

“She and her husband run the store called Pink Flamingoes.”

“Any juicy details?”

“No.”

Doll Face frowned. “No?”

“No.”

“What do you mean?”

“There's nothing. They are a newlywed couple from Kyoto. She's finishing school and he married into her rich family.”

Doll Face felt like a deflated balloon. “That's it?”

“Yep.”

She puffed up her bangs. “Impossible!”

“Sorry!”

Doll Face snorted. “This is war! I will not lose to them!” She stepped into her office, already planning retaliation. “Victory will be mine, bitch!” Christine sighed, shaking her head. She's on her power trip again. God damn it! She followed after her mother into the house part of the store.

War and Booze