Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Flowers of Occultism ❯ Introductions ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3
Introductions
 
There's something not right here.
 
And I don't just mean that I'm now officially on my last bottle of wine. Steven's been acting very strangely lately and I can't for the life (death, whatever I have left) of me figure it out.
 
I mean, I know they're getting closer; my powers are limited in comparison to his butthey arestill present, but normally one would thinkhe would stay inside more because of that.
 
No, something out there in the city has him seriously interested. But he's been here for who knows how manyyears, what could he find that would interest him so?
 
Unless…………he's actually found……?!
 
***
 
I felt my eyes narrow in confusion. I swallowed and found my voice so I could speak, trying to sound more nonchalant than I felt. “I'm not even going to ask how you did that.”
 
He laughed, or, at least, made a sound that was somewhere between a laugh and a chuckle. “That's probably best. Ignorance is bliss after all.” It took me almost a full second to realize that those were the first words he'd ever actually spoken to me. His voice was just as incredible now as it had been when he was singing.
 
I stepped slightly away from him, being careful to move only as many inches as I needed to get a better look at him. He was still wearing the same outfit, and it was that and the flawlessly polite aura that made him seem like he was from an entirely different world.
 
But just one look at those odd but intense eyes and that warm and inviting smile made all of those horrible things I thought he could have been before seem silly. For the second time that night, I felt utterly at peace.
 
I'd been staring at him for quite a few minutes before I realized that I was probably being rude. I could feel the blood rush to my cheeks as I looked down, away from his eyes. “Sorry,” I apologized, curling a wiry strand of hair that has escaped from my ponytail behind my ear. “I'm not really used to meeting new people.” That part I had to admit was true, but my own reactions didn't make any sense to me. I was normally a very unabashed person. Sometimes. Usually. ….On occasion
 
“That's all right,” he said, his voice comforting and alluring. “I've learned that its little quirks like that are the ones that make us who we are. If I may offer some assistance, most introductions start with your name.” He leaned slightly forward when he said this, almost like a bow, which made him seem even more like someone from an old movie. He was handsome enough to play the part, in the very least.
 
I took a few seconds to re-gather my thoughts as he turned the full power of his eyes on me. I was so dazzled by it that I told him the truth. “Haliara. Er…I mean, Hali, Hali Kyiero. Haliara's my full name, but usually Hali just works better. I'm from Iowa.”
 
“Haliara……” He spoke my name in a half-whisper, with a deep-in-thought look on his face. Then he smiled and nodded, as if it had passed some kind of unknown test. “I'm Steven. Steven Soucherie. New York City is my home.”
 
I was probably going to have to get him to write that last name down if he wanted me to remember it. But, I remembered that he was practically a total stranger, so he more than likely didn't expect me too.
 
I couldn't think of anything to say, so he asked, “What's a girl from Iowa doing here?”
 
I'd probably ask that question too if I were in his position. I've always wondered what big city people would think of some middle-of-nowhere place like Iowa, not to mention a small town in that same middle-of-nowhere place. I shrugged. “Family vacation mostly. And my dad's girlfriend has relatives here. We just flew in yesterday.”
 
He nodded, blinking as he did so. And then, in that soft, irresistible voice, he asked the number one question I was so tired of hearing. “If I may, what happened to your mother?”
 
With most people I just glared at them until they muttered some awkward apology and walked away. But, for some reason, I couldn't do that to Steven, even though he was a complete stranger. Actually, maybe that was the reason I could tell him. “………She passed away.”
 
He blinked again, surprised, but like he'd been half-expecting to hear that. “I'm sorry to hear that,” he said in a voice so sincere it made me flush. Then he turned more inquisitive. “And I take it you don't care for your father's girlfriend all that much?”
 
I shook my head. “No, Molly's fine. A little different than what I'm used to, but fine. The one I really don't care for is my father himself.”
 
An odd expression went across his face, like he was holding back laughter. It was gone as quick as it had come though, so it wasn't more than a flicker. “Why?” he prodded again. I could tell he was trying to get me to answer but at the same time not wanting to go too far.
 
It was strange, though. I felt as if I could give my whole hand-written biography to this stranger. “I don't know, really. There's a part of me that wants to hate him, but another part that can't because he's all I have left. I guess you could say I'm mad at him because I can't hate him.” Inwardly I groaned. There's no way that could make sense to anyone who hasn't felt that way.
 
But, to my surprise, he nodded, as if he understood, or as if he had the same problem. “Sounds as if you have things rough.” His smile broke into a world-class grin. “Lucky for you that you came to New York City. If this city can't solve your problems, it'll provide a distraction until your problems are over.” I was surprised at how much his statement matched my own analysis.
 
“So…” I tried to think of where to begin. “What's your story?” I tried to make a smile to match his, but in my mind I was pretty sure that was impossible. “I mean, I've told you mine, don't you think it seems fair that you share yours?”
 
He laughed openly at that. “Ha-ha, sure, sure. I suppose it is only fair. But, I'm afraid I get rather bored just standing here and story-telling, so would you do me the honor of taking a stroll with me, Miss Kyiero?”
 
I could've sworn I'd heard him wrong. People didn't talk like that, not in this century. I thought for sure he was joking, but he offered his arm to me, his smile and eyes completely serious. I didn't know what kind of game he was playing, but I supposed it wouldn't hurt to play along. After all, how often does this really happen to a person? I took his arm.
 
We started walking, and I had to admit it was a little awkward at first, but eventually I grew used to it. I heard him sigh as he began his story.
 
“Well, like you, I can't really reveal full details, but I will tell you that our stories are surprisingly similar. My mother died also, but my father didn't take it very well.” I wanted to add how much my father put himself through in those first few months, but I didn't want to interrupt him so I remained silent as we continued walking. “He left. Not just left home, but left the whole city. I was young then, and he never offered to take me along, so I was left to fend for myself in the city.”
 
I was surprised (and slightly jealous) at this, but be must have noticed my look because he laughed aloud. “He may as well have left me in the Garden of Eden. I love this city; I always have, ever since my father left. Anyway, I lived on the streets for a while until I found William, who had an apartment in the city, and he took me in. That's how it's been for a while now.”
 
The modest girl in me took a moment to shine through. “Wow, it seems like you have things even worse than me, dumped out on the street like that.”
 
Steven shook his head. “I disagree. As I told you before, I adore this city. And when my father left I finally had a chance to make my own decisions. From what you've told me, it doesn't sound like yours has given you that option. Although, I can see why he would try to hide you so, pretty as you are.”
 
I smiled awkwardly at him. I'd been raised as a modest girl, so I didn't take compliments very well. I must have been unconsciously rubbing my medallion, because he asked, “What's that in your pocket?”
 
I stopped walking, but kept my arm in his. It was true that I had told him more about me than the average person ought to know, but…..there was such a thing s going to far. The only two people who knew my biggest secret were Mei and possibly Jo. Still, he made me feel like I really could tell him anything, and I usually wasn't a very trusting person.
 
He stopped walking too. I saw his curious but politely resigned expression as I turned to face him.
 
“Can I really trust you?” A stupid question at this point, I thought.
 
The question seemed to have taken him aback. “Well, I swear to your highest deity that I won't repeat anything about you that you don't wish me to, but I'm afraid it's up to your judgment on whether or not you can trust me.”
 
I thought about that for a moment, letting his statement roll through my brain, and then pulled out my hand with my medallion clutched inside it. I handed it to him. “I hope you don't mind if I don't tell you the full story yet. But when you live with someone such as my father, it's nice to have something to believe in.”
 
Steven nodded, smiling. He spun it in his fingers a few times, examining it, then handed it back.
 
I pocketed it. “Do you know who that is?” I asked, briefly daring to hope.
 
To my dismay, he shook his head. “No, but you do, and isn't that what's important?
 
I smiled, liking this guy the more he talked. “I suppose so, But who knows? I get this weird feeling that I might see you again and tell you some day.”
 
I suppose I expected him to laugh or something, but he surprised me. His face turned abruptly serious, the smile disappearing instantly and a new kind of light shining in his eyes. “Would you like to?”
 
I froze, unsure of how to react to his sudden change of expression. I felt myself blush, for it sounded like he was asking a very different kind of question. “What?” I managed when I found my voice.
 
He walked closer (“walked” isn't exactly the right word, he seemed to be gliding across the ground what with the grace that he moved), still wearing the same expression. He looked almost predatory, like he had tapped me in a corner right where he wanted me. He stepped close enough to me to lean in until our heads were almost touching again, and my hands were trapped in both of his. He almost looked like he was going to……………
 
But instead of doing what I thought he was going to do, he merely repeated his question, this time in a deep, husky tone. “Would you like to see me again?”
 
At that point he turned the full power of his eyes on me, and I honestly forgot where I was for a moment. I had this weird falling sensation, even though my feet were firmly on the ground. But his eyes glittered as if they were an ocean of navy blue, gold, and grey that had it very own sun. I thought for a moment that they were trying to blind me, but then I realized that it was the actual sun, shining straight into my eyes over his shoulder.
 
“Ah,” I groaned, forced to look away from both of them. It was strange though, why hadn't the sun bothered me until now? It must have finally sunk low enough in the sky to…
 
Wait a minute
 
“Oh no, what time is it?”
 
If he was surprised by my change of topic, he didn't show it. He pulled out a pocket watch (like one of those real, golden, early century ones, attached by a chain and everything), flipped open the cover, and said, “About 7:20”
 
“How long have we been here?”
 
“About twenty or twenty-five minutes”
 
“Uh-oh. My dad'll kill me if I don't get back.” Without another word, I ran for the granite staircase, going as fast as I could down it. Some part of my subconscious told me Steven was close behind, and I didn't know whether to be happy or scared that he affected me so much.
 
Rushing down the outside steps, I was half-expecting to hear sirens. I halted on the sidewalk, and Steven followed at a graceful lope behind me, stopping at a dime at my side.
 
It was considerably darker; the skyscrapers were casting long shadows on top of each other in the setting sun. I looked up and down the street, trying to figure out which way I had come. It turned out I didn't need to, though, because Molly, Cali, Julie, and Celia were all walking towards me.
 
“Hali! There you are!” Molly waved to get my attention, but her hand stopped abruptly when she saw my companion. Celia and Julie both stopped, bug-eyed, and Cali (who's approval I would need if I ever even wanted to talk about Steven ever again) rose her eyebrows in surprise but nonetheless smiled. That was a good sign.
 
I started walking, with Steven following me, and as I did so I realized I had a small problem: I had no cover story prepared. The very first things they were likely to ask me were where I had been and what I had been doing. I couldn't very well tell them the truth, especially when I didn't believe it myself.
 
I met the group halfway. “Where did you go?” Molly asked, and I noticed that she had made the mistake of looking straight into Steven's eyes and had to tear hers away from them. It seemed that his eyes had the same effect on other people as they did on me. I looked inconspicuously over my shoulder to see if his expression had changed, but he was still calm and cool as ever, that impeccably polite smile still stretched upon his face.
 
“Uh…well…” I trailed off, I was wandering around inside that church…and I got lost,” I finished, deciding to wing it the best I could. “I probably would have wandered around for hours, but Steven here found me and was kind enough to show me out.” I motioned toward him with my head, praying that he'd play along.
 
“Really?” Molly responded, a slight skepticism in her voice. Not enough to make me want to yell out, `what do you care, it's not any of your business,' but enough to make it clear that she was a mom and she wasn't stupid.
 
Steven's eyes flashed to mine, in a kind of unspoken understanding. “Yes, actually. You may not be able to tell from the outside, but most of that churches hallways cross over each other many times, so it's quite easy to get lost.”
 
I almost sighed with relief, and silently thanked him for doing this. “Sorry if I made you guys wait or anything. I just kind of lost my bearings.”
 
“No, it's okay,” Molly said, turning her wrist to check her watch, “but I think Keith would be happier if we got out of the city before all of the plays on Broadway get out.” Dad hated traffic. In fact, Dad pretty much hated cities. Maybe that's why I was so fascinated with them.
 
Or………maybe it was something else. My eyes swiveled towards him as my silver-haired “rescuer” spoke. “Actually, I know a way to get to get to a street that will take you right around the city and straight to the Holland Tunnel. It's right by my apartment, actually, and I can direct you along there if you'd like.”
 
Molly seemed hesitant. “We don't want to trouble you…”
 
“It's no trouble at all. I haven't got anything better to do, and it saves me a bit of walking.” Steven flashed a world-class grin. I felt myself smiling too. “C'mon Molly, do you really want to deal with Dad at the hotel after he's battled through New York traffic for God knows how many hours?” I silently thanked the heavens that Celia was too stunned to speak, for she would have jumped in with some dumb comment that might have ruined it.
 
It was decided, like so many other things in my life, by my sister, Cali. “She's right, Dad would be a lot easier to deal with if he didn't have to fight through all those cars.” My sister and I exchanged glances. I could tell by her face that she was hoping for some kind of secret love drama between Steven and me, although she should have known by now that I really didn't do those types of things. I nodded my head a little in thanks, for more than just sweetening the deal.
 
Molly shrugged. “All right, I guess it couldn't hurt. Thank you, Steven, was it?”
 
As he nodded, I spoke up. “We better get walking before Dad starts calling, wondering where we are.” As soon as I spoke it, I knew that the statement was half-hearted, in more than one way.
 
***
 
Our walk was not in silence. I didn't miss the fact that Steven seemed to be primarily talking to me, looking up only when he was asked a question by someone else. Unfortunately, Celia also did not miss this fact, and jumped at every opportunity she could to claim his attention.
 
I half-listened to everyone else's inquires. They were mostly, like his favorite color (which, of no surprise to me, was in fact purple) and how long he'd lived in New York City. I really felt sorry for him, but it gave me time to sort out my own feelings. Now normally, if you haven't gathered this yet, I was one of those people that would throw up or leave the room the moment the real mushy part of a romance flick. I don't know why, but it's one of those things that have always been nails on a chalkboard for me. I was pretty sure that's the reason that my two ex-boyfriends didn't work out for me. I simply could not stand romance.
 
But……..I'd also watched enough of those kinds of movies to know that love and romance were not the same thing. I detested romance, but what about love? Well……I couldn't really judge on that, because I really didn't know anything about love, beyond the complete falsehood of what the movies portray.
 
And now, with Steven here, so much (even excluding the laws of gravity) didn't make sense to me anymore.
 
Soon enough, we had met up with Dad and were all piled in to our rental SUV (I'm not a car person; I don't know its fancy name). The good news was the extended time with Steven, but the bad news was that he was in-between me and Celia. Oh well, I thought, beggars can't be choosers.
 
I was grateful that Celia eventually retreated to her iPod after Steven politely but clearly displayed his disinterest. Julie and Cali were chatting away (the latter pausing every few moments to peer at me over her shoulder), and Molly was trying to get us out of the city, occasionally helped out by directional help on Steven's part.
 
I was glad for the excuse to finally be able to talk with him again. Sure, he had to look up and point out the correct turns and streets every now and then, and Dad was shooting glances at us in the rearview mirror, but it still felt nice.
 
“So, where are you guys going to be tomorrow?” he asked, after telling Dad to take a left.
 
“Probably more around Central Park and the stuff around there,” I said, regurgitating what Cali and Molly had told me earlier. “The day after that we're going to a wedding of Molly's brother in Time Square.
 
His eyes widened in pure, undisguised shock. “Wedding? You mean Jim and Amanda Sakure's wedding?”
 
I nodded, wondering how he knew about it. “You on the guest list or something?”
 
“Guest list? No, my roommate and I are signed up as the entertainment for after the ceremony.” He laughed at the irony.
 
I blinked. For some reason, this overjoyed me, and that fact really bugged me. “Really? As what?” I heard Julie ask from the seats ahead of us.
 
I think this was the first time I had ever actually seen him full out blush. “Well, William's a DJ, kind of. He does live music often as well as the tables. And……I make my living as a street performer, mainly with magic.”
 
Magic. I had to choke back hysteria. He was a magician. Well, if any of his tricks were like the one he pulled on me today, he must either be a millionaire, or………something else. Looking at his rather embarrassed smile, I knew there was some secret behind it.
 
“Really? Can you show us anything right now?” Julie asked again, proving to me once again that she really was the world's biggest and probably most hopeless flirt, maybe second only to Celia.
 
Steven smiled again. “I'd love to, but my apartment is actually right there, and I'd hate to trouble you folks any longer.” He pointed to a nine or ten story brick building.
 
“You're no trouble,” I whispered to him, and he flashed another grin that was for my eyes alone, and somehow it seemed……….different from the others.
 
Dad pulled over to the curb, and everyone started saying their goodbyes. “See ya, Steven,” Celia said, and I was amazed that a million words didn't spring from her mouth as I had expected.
 
“Hope to see you again sometime,” added, Julie, smiling widely.
 
“It was nice meeting you,” said Cali, her eyes flashing briefly from him to me.
 
“Thanks again for helping us out,” Molly said, leaning back from the front seat.
 
“No problem and thank you,” he formally addressed everyone, before turning his endless navy-blue eyes on mine.
 
I smiled at him; though I was sure it paled next to any of his. “Thank you, for everything,” I spoke softly, hoping he would know what I really meant. I was sad to see him go, another thing that made absolutely no sense to me.
 
He seemed to sense that. I could tell by his voice. “Anytime.” He smiled that different smile from before, and a weird, sort of longing feeling rushed through me.
 
His expression turned troubled. “You know what you said, before? It's strange, but……I think I almost feel the same way………like we're going to see each other a lot sooner than either of us think.”
 
Those were his last words he said before he climbed out of the car and onto the sidewalk. He turned and waved one last time, his eyes directly on mine. I held his gaze for as long as I could, that incredible longing feeling coming back. Then, he turned and disappeared through the door.
 
It was only then that I thought about how many questions I still had for him, and how many new ones had arisen.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Key:
I was normally a very unabashed person.—Hali is rather close-minded, and I intended her to be that way. That's why she so confused at the moment, because she's so single-minded and close-minded.
 
Er…I mean, Hali, Hali Kyiero—Translations and pronunciations aren't really my forte, although I realize that names like Hali's last name, Steven's last name and Molly's last name can be somewhat difficult to sound out. I have my own ways to pronounce them, so you can say them however you want. It's not like I can actually be there to correct you ^^.
 
“I guess you could say I'm mad at him because I can't hate him.”—I tried to explain this feeling as best I could. Hali doesn't like her father, but, since her mother died, he's all she really has left. So she can't very well hate him, but part of her seriously wants to.
 
I was surprised (and slightly jealous) at this—Hali eveys Steven's freedom and courage here. He's able to go about life and the city as he pleases, without any fear of what may happen to him.
 
I'd been raised as a modest girl, so I didn't take compliments very well.—Taking compliments and accepting help is one of the hardest things for Hali to cope with. It's part of who she is.
 
He pulled out a pocket watch (like one of those real, golden, early century ones, attached by a chain and everything)--Here's a picture of what that might look like: http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb /4/4f/250px-MontreGousset001.jpg
 
and Cali (who's approval I would need if I ever even wanted to talk about Steven ever again)—Since her father doesn't know much about how teenagers live nowadays, Hali's father relies on Cali's judgment of things rather than just his own.
 
like his favorite color (which, of no surprise to me, was in fact purple)—No, Steven is not gay. Believe me, I'll make that clearly evident in later chapters.