Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Flowers of Occultism ❯ Danger ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4
Danger
 
William was furious, of course, with my little `adventure.'
 
But, I had far too much on my mind to listen to the ranting of an undead. Although, I have to admit, he was right on several aspects. It was way too dangerous to use any amount of power right now.
 
But, the strangest thing is, I really don't care.
 
There's………something different about this girl, something that's worth sacrificing my well-being for. She's doing something to me………stirring some kind of emotion I'm not familiar with. But……what is it? What exactly is happening to me? And why now?
 
…………………Thi s doesn't make any sense at all………………
 
***
 
As soon as the door to Steven's apartment shut behind him (I only later thought it weird that I could actually hear the door click as it closed), I felt like the whole car had collapsed on top of me. Six million questions, exclamations, and even a few demandings were launched at me so quickly that I didn't have time to organize who said what.
 
“Holy crap he's hot!” (I had a fairly good idea as to who said that one)
 
“Do you think you'll really see him again?” (I had no response for this one)
 
“Do you think you could ask him how he got his hair that color?” (By this point the questions were just getting stupid and I had to tell everyone to shut up)
 
“WHOA! Guys, please, one at a time!” I spread my hands out to give me a little breathing room. Claustrophobia and living with three other teenagers didn't share very good company.
 
Celia narrowed her eyes at me, as if I was daring to have something going on in my life that she didn't know about. “Have you ever met that guy before?”
 
Okay, I'll admit it. In all seriousness, if everyone hadn't been in the car, I probably would have broken her nose. At least then she could learn to keep it out of other people's business. But, instead, I gathered every ounce of self control I had and simply answered her with a shake of my head. “No,” I answered honestly. “I just met him today.” I wanted to stick to the truth as much as I could, but I also didn't want anyone sitting there too involved in my life. At least, no more involved then they already were.
 
“Do you like him?” Julie asked, repeating a question that had been fired at me earlier. Now, to most people, that would seem like a completely innocent question. But, if you had enough sense to really pay attention to her expression and tone of voice, you would know it wasn't. Things were rarely `innocent' with Julie. She wasn't asking simply out of curiosity, she was asking if he was available.
 
But, that's pretty much irrelevant. The thing was…………I really didn't know how to answer her. I mean, I knew what the truthful answer was, but as I mentioned before, if I wanted to keep these people out, I had to be careful. And I really wasn't sure how I was going to do that with everyone except my father (who was driving but more than likely trying to catch every word he could with his limited hearing) and my sister, Cali (who probably knew already) was staring at me with huge eyes. Even Molly had turned in the front seat to listen, even though she was trying to look inconspicuous about it.
 
I hesitated, trying to come up with another impromptu story. “Well….I don't know….I mean, I don't really know him that well.” There, that would suffice. It was a half-truth, and I think I was about as good at covering that up as Molly or Julie was, but everyone seemed to buy it.
 
Well, almost everyone…
 
***
 
When we got back to the hotel, Celia wanted to go swimming. Julie went with her, and usually Cali would have gone just to sit in the hot tub, but she chose to stay behind. Me, I had enough swimming going on in my head, I didn't need any more.
 
I should have known that when Cali stayed behind that it couldn't be good.
 
But, I mean that purely on a first-glance basis. I really don't like talking about feelings or anything really. Over Instant Message I was fine (hence why Mei and Aya knew more about me then probably anyone else on the planet), but talking just didn't come natural for me.
 
As soon as Celia and Julie left, it was silent for a while, and then Cali started. “So…”
 
I really wanted to say, so what? But, I figured that would put her in one of her infamous royal `tudes, so I didn't. I plugged my DS into the wall, and looked up at her to show I was listening.
 
Cali met my gaze. I couldn't read her eyes, they were too serious. “………do you like him?”
 
We both knew there was no need to ask whom she was talking about. I took a minute to gather my thoughts. I wasn't really sure if I did or not. I mean, okay, to a point I was, but I didn't know if I should tell Cali. Jeez, my own sister asks a question and I'm worried about her knowing more about me? How pathetic is that?
 
But I did know one thing for certain. If I were to just blow it off and say I don't know it wouldn't end very well.
 
I compromised. I tested her curiosity. “I'm not really sure………like I said before, I don't really know him that well.”
 
Cali wasn't going to let me off that easy, a point I should have anticipated. “As of right now, do you like him?” There was some kind of unfamiliarity in her tone, and I couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was. I picked up on a feeling though: I'd better give a more constructive answer, or make one up.
 
Well, no way out now. “………………yeah,” I finally said after a short pause. I directed my eyes away from her for a moment, cowardly as ever.
 
Cali nodded, but she didn't say anything. We sat in silence for a while. Then suddenly a completely honest question sprung out of my mouth before I could stop it.
 
“Is that……….bad?”
 
She smiled sympathetically. “I really don't know.”
 
***
 
The next morning we couldn't seem to get to the city fast enough for me.
 
While I was still uneasy from the conversation with Cali, I was still anxious to get there, as was everyone else in the car.
 
Celia and Julie had been to the city before, so all they wanted to do was shop some more (an activity I had no intention of being part of). Cali said she was okay with shopping too, but she also wanted to see the city, which made her a kind of bridge between the other girls and me.
 
And what did I want?
 
I wanted to see it all.
 
The Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero (those two weren't really first on my list, because like the Holland Tunnel, I'd seen enough of them on TV), Time Square, Broadway, Central Park, Grand Central Station (is that even in Manhattan?), you name it, I wanted to see it.
 
I also really wanted to see how people in the city lived. How could they handle commuting every day? What kinds of jobs did people have here? How did people living on the streets get by? How did they get their drugs? Some of these curiosities were a little far-fetched and maybe even dangerous, but hey, it wasn't a crime to wan to know, right? What all was actually considered a crime here?
 
Add both of those anticipations to the chance of meeting Steven again, and I was a pretty happy chick.
 
When we emerged from the Holland Tunnel, I took in the city around me. We had come earlier in the afternoon today, so it looked a little busier, at least to my country eyes. We looked for a place to park again, and I was trying not to look like an excited little tourist. But, I had to admit, it was pretty hard at times.
 
Soon enough we parked and walked out onto the sidewalk, trying to decide where to go. Time Square and Broadway were fairly close, but both were better viewed at night. Ground Zero was pretty much on the other side of the city, and no one wanted to do that much walking, so that was out. Central Park wasn't that far away, and there were plenty of shops around that area, so that would work.
 
We all agreed. Central Park it was.
 
As we walked, Cali and the other two started chatting about a random this-or-that, and Dad and Molly were in the lead, also talking. I kept to myself and hung back. I really wanted to just go wandering by myself, but, of course, that would just send Molly and Dad into super-freak-out mode, and I figured the police had better things to do than go looking for some kid. And I had better things to do then listen to an annoying lecture plus be given a tight leash. So I was forced to simply content myself with just looking at everything around me from a distance, and every so often I would purposely slow down so I could have an excuse to run and catch up.
 
I was just about to run again when I passed a long, ominous alleyway that actually brought me to a full stop. It was the middle of the day, but the whole thing was pitch black with some kind of eerie darkness even the sunlight couldn't penetrate, it just got swallowed up.
 
Call me crazy if you'd like, I knew I probably should have just run past and went along, and believe me, I wish I had. But…….I really don't know how to explain it. There was this kind of power…….a kind of force, drawing me in like a magnet. I couldn't really see or hear anything of it, the power didn't really trigger any senses, but I was still absolutely captivated by it.
 
It wasn't long before I was halfway through the alley.
 
I probably would have just kept on walking (as I mentioned before, now I shudder at the thought), but suddenly, there was something speaking to me in my brain……….a kind of voice, and it was saying, `You know, I'm pretty sure that you really don't want to see what that is. Let's turn around and go back.'
 
Another part of me argued with it, wanting to see what this was and what was so enticing about it. I only thought it weird later that something inside me was not only talking to me, but giving me orders.
 
This new part of me spoke once more. `Look closely! See it for what is really is!'
 
Suddenly, the alley wasn't encompassed in darkness anymore. My eyes seemed to sharpen, like I'd just eaten a bunch of carrots. Everything became completely clear; every little detail was laid out. I could see the individual grains of the brick on the wall, the rays of sunlight pouring down, even the intangible wind as it scraped across a puddle of water, creating very slight ripples.
 
I could see everything…….except the black, grisly, thing that was hunched over in a corner.
 
I suppose that's really the wrong choice of words. I could see its shadowy outline, its burning white eyes (no iris, no pupil, just white), and I could see some sort of liquid dripping from it onto the concrete below. But that was all, really. No details, just a black thing.
 
It was enough to terrify me.
 
It seemed to realize that I spotted it. The liquid oozed faster, almost like it was salivating. The eyes started to glow intensely, and I could feel that force pulling incredibly on me. All except for that new voice, which was shouting orders at me again.
 
`Do not give in! Flee from the evil's temptation! You must run! Your speed is your greatest defense!'
 
I didn't have any idea what it meant by `evil,' but I didn't need to be told twice.
 
I turned and ran.
 
Behind me, I could hear the thing snarl and howl in frustration. I didn't stop running until I caught back up with the group, trembling.
 
No one turned around. No one had missed me. I sighed with relief. A freak out from everyone was the last thing I needed right now.
 
But, this voice did freak me out. It was silent now that whatever the danger was had passed, but would it come back again? Just what was that thing? How long had that voice been inside me? What had triggered it?
 
What the hell was going on?
 
 
 
 
 
No key this time. If you're confused about anything, email me or review.