Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Garrotte ❯ Independence Assessment ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 2: Independence Assessment
 
Socks, watch, shoes; public transportation pass…calculator. Garret made it to the door then remembered his security pass for the office.
 
The morning was warmer than usual. There was no mist or captivating rays of sun, but the sky insinuated rain. Garret glanced at his bike and thought better of it since his rain suit had been reduced to a plastic flaming ball two months before. He walked downs the path to the street and made his way to the bus stop and Glanced at his watch: 8:15 AM. The bus should be arriving any moment, he thought. Then he heard the distinct rumble of the pink and blue public bus.
 
As it rounded the corner 200 meters down the road, he noticed a green Hyundai Accent parked in the bus lay-by and went to inform the occupant of their transgression against the public transport vehicle.
 
He approached the driver, noting it was a woman. “Good morning.”
 
“Good morning” She replied smiling taking a cell phone down from her ear.
 
“A bus is coming sweetheart, you'd better move on before the driver decides to move you,” he said with his most attractive grin, but noted that her smile faded at the mention of `sweetheart'.
 
“Are you Garret L. Jones” she said flatly all amusement gone from her expression.
 
Garret visible paled, was he being served? “ Yes, may I ask why it is you know my name?”
 
She lifted the phone back to her ear and confirmed in to the receiver,” I got him, -decided to go P&B to day”
 
“Get in,” She flashed her police badge and ID and garret skirted round the car and clambered in to the from passenger seat,” Its you lucky day, you've been chosen to assist the police-“
 
Excitement, fear and pride manifested on Garrets face as a goofy smirk. He sat waiting and glanced at the woman sitting beside him when she said nothing.
 
“Come on man, I'm the police.” Garret just stared, blankly. “You think your gonna ride with me and not wear your seat belt.” Garret hastily groped for the seatbelt and fumbled twice with the buckle before securing it appropriately.
 
The woman inhaled slowly and shifted the care into gear. “I ought to give you a ticket just for stupidity” she half mumbled to herself as the care pulled out of the layby.
 
 
Detective Toyota McGee, not Officer Toy, or Yoda or any other witty perversion of her name, sat drumming the fingers of her left hand on the steering wheel and sipped her lukewarm thirty minutes to sign in to the office log book and back out, to a client's office. The Auditor General had been most cooperative sparing this kid.
 
Garret Jones had been hired by the NAO to assess prospective companies that may fall under the Auditor Generals legislated mandate. The Companies Act 2006 gave the Auditor General the power, from April 2008, to audit Public Limited Companies in addition to Government and Government controlled and influenced organisations also known as Quangos. So it wouldn't bee suspicious if Garret popped up unexpectedly at any organisation on the island of Bermuda. The only issue, Toyota McGee had, was her undercover role.
 
Assistant. Well technically government departmental liaison, but it was virtually the same. She was to usher him around and familiarize him with the different aspect of the government, its quangos and other organisational effigies. Detective McGee narrowed her eyes at her right mirror; the enlarging figure approaching her vehicle was carrying something.
 
Garret shifted the objects in his had. Erick had had a cup of the tea, he'd seen Garret choose the morning prior, waiting on his desk at precisely 8:55 AM. And, Veronica Green, the IT technician had had a new laptop waiting for him to pass-code and sign out. Glenda Furbert, the receptionist, had also forgot to give him his Photo ID and badge the previous day. Glenda had also given him a clip for his security pass that had a retractable cord, `so it wouldn't get lost' she had said. And now he was overwhelmed with items, balancing the tea and badge in one hand and the light with laptop and briefcase in the other. As he neared the ree vehicle the door popped open.
 
“What the hell took you so long, and what the hell is all that.” She didn't give him time to answer before she continued. “I thought I told you to be as quick as possible. It's now nine o' clock. AND, my tea is cold. I'm glad you had time to get some for you self though,” she said sarcastically.
 
A colleage prepared it for me, it was on my desk,” Garret exlamaid. He extended the tea to the disgruntled police woman. “You gan have it if you want.”
 
“Thank you.” Detective McGee took the peace offering and placed in in her cup holder and passed Garret her empty disposable tea cup.
 
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Disclaimer: The Character of Garrotte have been created by me, Inuyasha Fan311; the characters and organisations in Garrotte are fictional and do not represent actual persons, or organisations and etcetera.
 
Garrotte Facts:
The Bermuda National Audit Office is a fictional organisation.
A glossary/ decoder of Bermudian slang will be added eventually to decipher the “old man's” ratings.