Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Mafia ❯ Volume Twelve, Chapter Forty-Six: Trial ( Chapter 46 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Valentina sat on the stand. She wore all white. This was a terrible idea. She clenched her fists under the table.

-Three Weeks Ago-

The plane landed at Narita Airport. They took a second private plane. The couple said nothing. Mikhael knew the gravity of the situation.

“You can't tell her until after the wedding,” Boris told him. The boy didn't know the whole plan. He tried to hold Valentina's hand. To his surprise, she didn't hit it away.

The arrival home went smoothly. Boris waited at the airport.

“Welcome home,” he said. The couple said nothing. Valentina kept her eyes down. She still let Mikhael hold her hand. They made it home safely.

The next morning, there was a knock on the door. A maid opened around eight in the morning.

“Who is it?” she asked.

“Police! Open up! We have questions,” a man said. The maid froze.

“Why?” she asked.

“Is Popova-san in?” the cop asked. The maid backed away.

“Sorry! She's still asleep. Good day!” she said. The cop pounded on the door.

“Madam! Madam!”

The police weren't going to give up. It took hours for them to get in touch with Valentina. Now, she wasn't charged with a crime. They just wanted to talk to her. Around evening, it was Boris to answer the door again. Two detectives stood outside.

“Good evening,” the old Russian man said. “Can I help you with something?”

“Is Popova-san here?” one of the cops asked. “We would like to talk to her.”

“On what ground?” Boris asked.

“She's not in trouble,” the other cop said. “We just want to ask her a couple of questions.”

“About what?” Boris asked.

“There was a mass murder all over the city on the tenth of July,” the first detective said. “A witness tied her to the crime.” The Russian man raised his eyebrow.

“Do you have a warrant?” he asked.

“We just want to talk to her,” the other cop said.

“Come back with a warrant,” Boris said. He slammed the door in their faces.

----------

However, the stall tactics wouldn't last long. The cops caught up with the new boss. She didn't have anything to offer. Nevertheless, she got called to court as a witness.

-Now-

“Please state your name.”

“Valentina Popo—no, Kvasha. I just got married.”

“Oh congratulations.”

“Thank you.”

“Where were you on the afternoon of July tenth?”

“At my wedding. Down in the courthouse.”

“Did you know about the massacre of your own men would take please?”

“No, sir.”

“Did have any hand in the planning?”

“No, sir.” She answered this before. The answer doesn't change. She doesn't know anything. What was the point?

“Why was there an order of execution on those men?”

“I don't know.”

“But they were your men, yes?”

“Yes.”

“So how do you not know anything?”

“I don't. My father just died. And I just got married.”

“I understand. It's just odd this all happens on your wedding day, don't you think?”

“I don't know.”

“No further questions.”

Valentina sat stone-faced. Why was she here? What was going on? What was Boris up to? Something told her this wasn't over. In fact, things were about to get worse.

Trial