Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ What Are You Doing? ❯ Surprising Encounter ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 "Honey, it is time to wake up."

I slowly opened an eyelid to see my mother gently shaking me. Still half asleep, I stood up from my bed, rubbing my eyes and yawning. I'm so tired... Wait why did Mom wake me up? Did I miss my alarm clock? I wondered. I glanced at my alarm clock and I was shocked and now wide awake.

"Mom, it's freaking 6 am! Why are you waking me up at this hour?!" I exclaimed at my mother. "Today is officially the first day summer! I should be sleeping in till noon! Not waking up at 6 am!"

She gives me this questioning look, "Mia Wong, you don't remember? I had to change shifts at the office so I'll be able to come home before it gets dark." I just stared at her. "Meaning, if I go to work earlier I can be home earlier. I don't want to leave you alone in this house, especially when you are sleeping. You know with your father away on his business trip, I must be two parents at the same time. If I took my regular shift, you would be alone in the house until maybe around 8 pm! It would be fine if your father were here but he's not."

"But Mom you don't have to worry about me to much. I'm going to be a Senior once school starts again, and I don't mind staying at home at night," I said. "I'm not a kid anymore, afterall. I'm growing up more and more everyday. And if you think about it pretty soon I'll be starting my own life."

"Honey, it is not whether I think of you as a child or a teenager or if you are a young adult. I am only thinking about your safety, and as your mother your safety is my number one priority. Hey I'm only going to be on this shift until Dad comes back. And I'm off on weekends."

My mother gave me her best reassuring smile. I just nodded at first, but then a small smile formed on my face.

"Well it doesn't mean I have to enjoy waking up this early."

---------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------

I watched my mom back up in her car from the driveway and waved to her goodbye. As I watched her leave, I notice the cool morning air of summer. Still in my white tank top and striped pajama pants, I shivered and hugged myself, feeling the wind pass me by. The sun was barely up and there were a few batches of clouds up in the sky, but already I can feel the warm rays of that big ball of fire. I went back inside the house to have some breakfast. Entering the kitchen, I took the leftover waffle batter from yesterday and used it all. I was pretty hungry so I made some scrambled eggs as well. Once I finished making the eggs and the waffles were done in the waffle maker, I sat down at the kitchen table.

As I ate I felt somewhat uneasy. Usually my mornings were really loud with my dad watching TV, my mom yelling and asking me if I had seen her car keys, and me telling my dad the TV was too loud and answering my mom back while making breakfast at the same time. But today, here I am, eating by myself at the table in an empty house. I put my finished plate into the sink. I decided I would wash them later. I hated silence so I went into the family room to watch some TV. I chose to watch an old episode of Heroes from season one. I didn't really care what I watched so long as the house was not quiet. Suddenly, the phone began ringing and for the second time today I looked at the time. 

It's only 9:37 am. Who's calling at this hour?

I picked up the phone hearing a familiar voice on the other end. "Mrs. Wong?"

"Not quite," I replied. "Hey Alan, why are you calling so early in the morning"

"Why are you up so early? Don't you usually sleep in till like noon?" he asked jokingly.

"Haha.." I laughed sarcasticly. He responded by laughing whole heartedly.

"Well anyway, I know this is kinda random, but do you want to hangout at the park?"

----------------------------------------------------------- -----------

 I rode my bike to our neighborhood park to meet up with Alan. Alan Dunston was my childhood friend from 2nd grade. We always have each other's backs. He's my best friend and he is like a brother to me. But during sophomore year caused trouble when he confessed he liked me. It was hard for me to turn him down but I had to be honest with him. He took it hard at first but once we actually talked about it, we became best friends again. Now he has a girlfriend named Allie and she's really nice. For me, I'm not desperate for a boyfriend. I just haven't found that right person yet. Not to mention none of the guys at our school seem remotely interesting.

I found Alan sitting on a bench and playing with his DS. I guess he brought it with him. I called his name and he looked up and said hi.

"How long have you been here?" I asked as I sat down beside him. I looked at what he was playing: Pokemon Pearl. Figures. Even after all these years he is STILL into Pokemon. 

"Uh I don't know. I rode my bike here as soon as I hung up on you," he stated, still looking at the DS screen. "And don't give me that look. Pokemon is cool."

"What look? I wasn't looking at you funny," I said trying to suppress a giggle.

"Peripheral vision. Of course I can still see how you look at me."

"Whatever."

We sat in silence for awhile. But then I suddenly heard Linkin Park's In The End playing. I immediately knew that was Alan's phone. He's a real fan of Linkin Park. Alan grunted and stopped playing to take out his cell phone. He walked off just a few feet away talking on the phone. I just took his DS and continued where he left off. It has been years since I played Pokemon but I still remember the basics at least. I glanced at Alan, he looked really annoyed. I chose not to listen in on the conversation. He came back with an annoyed expression on his face.

"Hey, um sorry Mia but my parents want me back home..." Alan said slowly.

"What?" But I just got here! Are you serious?" I said looking at him with sad eyes. I saved his game and turned it off for him and handed his DS back.

"I'm really sorry!" he said as he was already getting on his bike. "I'll tell you what's going on later okay? I promise."

 I sighed, watching him pedal away. I sat on the bench still, putting my chin on my right hand palm. Great what am I suppose to do now? I came here for nothing... What a great way to start the summer huh Mia? 

"If you're bored you can hangout with me if you want," a feminine voice breathed in my ear.

I screamed and got off the bench, startled at the sudden sound of the voice. I turned around to see a slightly tall blonde girl with greenish blue eyes, laughing at me. I felt myself blush.

"Whe-Where did y-you come from?!" I somewhat yelled at her. She raised an eyebrow and pointed towards the entrance of the park. 

"I came from there," she answered. The girl smiled at me. I just simply stared at her. 

"Since when?! I didn't see anyone come into the park.."

The blonde walked closer to me, stopping just a couple of feet away from me. "I was here way before you or your friend showed up. Even if I wasn't, you were too glued to that DS screen to notice me anyway." I opened my mouth but she spoke first. "If you were about to ask, no, I was not watching you the entire time. Just maybe the last few minutes. And since you are alone now, wanna take up my offer?" She looked into my eyes and winked.

I blushed again but I did not want to lose my composure again in front of this girl. "Sorry, I'll pass. I don't hangout with strangers." I started to head to my bike when the girl grabbed my wrist.

"Well to me you aren't a complete stranger. You go to Valleyway High right?" the blonde asked.

"What? How do you know that?" I said shocked.

"Last year I saw you around the hallways from time to time. I just recognized you as you pedaled in. And myself? Well I just graduated." I nodded at this. Now that she mentions being a graduate, she does seem kind of familiar. 

"So," she continued. "now that you know we went to the same school I'm not so much as a stranger right?"

"Mmm alright. I'll hangout with you. It'd be a nice way to start my summer before senior year."

"Great! So may I ask what is your name?"

"Mia. Mia Wong," I answered, smiling.

"Mia huh?" the blonde mused. "That's cute."

"So? What's your name? I refuse to hangout until you tell me your name," I stated.

The blonde girl then smirked and started to strut closer to me. When she was practically at my face, she still advanced her face forward, our faces just barely touching. I felt her breathing on my lips and I felt my own heart beating faster than usual. Just when I thought she was going to get any closer, she moved her face to my side.

"What... what are you doing?" I asked quietly.

She chuckled softly and gently whispered in my ear, "Kayla Anderson... nice to meet you."

I didn't say it out loud, but I had to admit: she was quite interesting.