Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ What Are You Doing? ❯ From Good to Bad ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It has been already a couple of hours since I've met Kayla. After that awkward and strange introduction, we went over to the park's swings and started talking about school and playing on the swings like little kids. We've been talking mostly about this past school year and Kayla's feelings when she graduated. She said she cried like crazy and was very emotional. She also mentioned it's not like her to be so emotional.

"Just thinking about my graduation experience all over again," she was explaining to me. "it amazes me how I was just a few days ago. I guess graduation can change people for just a single moment and once its over everyone is back to their normal selves." I nodded but did not say anything. I continued to listen to her thoughts as she spoke them aloud. "Heh, its kinda strange. I just couldn't WAIT till I got out of highschool. Now here I am feeling nostalgic just talking about it. Also, its very rare for me to cry. The last time I cried, excluding graduation of course, was when my 7th grade boyfriend broke up with me."

Wow... I bet she's had her full of boyfriends. Or at least a lot of boys fawning over her.

"Hellooo? Earth to Mia," Kayla said in a singing tone, waving her hand in front of my face. "Am I boring you?"

"Huh? Oh! I'm sorry. Don't worry you are far from boring me," I smiled at her. "I was just thinking."

"Oh about what?" she asked while raising a curious eyebrow.

"Just thinking you probably had tons of boyfriends. Well not
tons but you know what I mean."

"Really now. And what makes you think that?"

I looked at Kayla and I notice she was looking at me intently. I returned her gaze and I looked into her eyes. Her eyes seemed to be intimidating yet at the same time I could see some gentleness in those greenish blue eyes of hers. I suddenly realized she just asked me a question and broke eye contact with her. "W-Well you know. You're hecka pretty and you have gorgeous eyes. Not to mention you have a great figure and to top it all off you have a wonderful personality. Gah! But don't get the wrong idea. Its not like I'm checking you out or anything. I'm simply giving you compliments that are true, you know?" I felt my cheeks getting slightly hot again and cursed myself silently.

Crap I said all that too quickly. She'll probably think I'm stupid or weird. Ack. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Just WHY am I embarrassed even though I just met her? And WHY do I keep blushing?! Damnit. Great Mia, way to put on a fabulous impression. My mind was in a state of panic in a matter of seconds.
 
I noticed Kayla hasn't said anything so I looked at her and was surpised to see she was giggling. I couldn't tell if she was laughing at what I said or if it was another reason. 

Finally, Kayla started to calm down. "Haha. I'm sorry I couldn't help but laugh. You're too cute, Mia. Are you usually this nervous when you try to get to know someone?"

I felt myself twitch and I slowly moved my swing in a rhythmic rock. "Um... no not really. I'm usually not like this. But for some reason I don't feel uncomfortable around you."

"Aww. I'm glad you said that," Kayla said, smiling. "You're really sweet. I hope I'm not making
you uncomfortable." It could have been my imagination but I could have sworn her smile turned into a slight smirk as she said that.

"Maybe just a tad provocative..." I muttered to myself.

"What was that?"

"Err... Nothing, nothing," I said, waving her off. "You aren't making me uncomfortable. Honestly, I'm having fun hanging out with you. It is a great way to start off my summer, and I've even made a new friend."

"Friend status already?" she said in mock surprise. "Why Mia Wong, I'm honored. I didn't think I'd become your friend so fast."

 We laughed like we had been friends for years. The two of us just sat on our swings and watched the scenery of the park. I turned and glanced at Kayla but she didn't notice. I couldn't understand why I opened up to Kayla so easily, but I didn't mind. I expected someone who is as pretty as her would never consider speaking to someone like me. But I was wrong. Somehow in a matter of hours, Kayla managed to fill in this gap of emptiness in my life recently. 

"Wow 1 o'clock already?" I said, checking my cell phone clock. "I should head back home now. I need to do the household chores before my mom comes back."

Kayla made a childish pout. "That's no fun. Do you do all the chores?"

I shrugged. "Well when both of your parents work and you are an only child, somebody has to do them. I don't mind though. I'm used to it."

"Must be hard sometimes."

"Yeah but I'm happy with my life and that's all that matters to me," I said. "Well it was fun meeting you, Kayla Anderson."

She gave me a smile and I got off the swing and headed towards my bike. I felt her grab my shoulder so I stopped and turn around. Kayla then gave me a hug and pulled me closer. I blushed but it faded as I relaxed into the hug. I hesitantly lifted my arms and wrapped them around her waste, returning the hug.

"I'm glad you decided to hangout with me. We should totally do this again." said Kayla.

"Definitely." I answered.

We broke off from the hug and exchanged cell phone numbers. I mounted my bike and pedaled off towards the park entrance. I glanced back and waved goodbye to her.

I hope we hangout again soon Kayla...

---------------------------------------------------------- -------------

I watched Mia leave the park from my swing. She was a very interesting girl to meet and kept me feeling comfortable and entertained. I was pretty sure that she was startled at my bold introduction as I was. I never knew I could be that bold. But she seemed... different to me. I just felt like I had to get to know her.

"Mia Wong," I said quietly to myself. "What exactly do I find interesting about you? Such a mystery..."

A slight breeze blew from the side causing my hair to fly into my face. I brushed my blonde hair back and got off the swing. I decided it was time for me to head home to, seeing as there is nothing else for me to do in the park. I walked off in the direction Mia left and put my hands in my pockets, feeling the warm summer air that seemed warmer to me than usual.

----------------------------------------------------------- -------------

Riding my bike, I was just a block away from my house. Good thing too considering I only have about a couple of  hours to finish the chores at my house. Making sure the street was cleared I crossed, making sure there were no incoming cars from the other direction. Once on the sidewalk, I pedaled across the line of houses until I saw mine. I stopped on our front lawn and on my porch was Alan.

He was sitting on a step, his head down and his hair covering his face. I guess he didn't notice me so I called out to him.

"Hey Alan! What are you doing here? I thought you had to go home."

No answer. He didn't even lift his head up. Alan just sat there. Something was wrong.

"Alan? What's up?" I asked dragging my bike with me. I dropped it on a patch of grass near the porch and walked in front of him. "Come on Alan... Please look at me. You can tell me. What's wrong?"

He cringed back a bit, but he slowly lifted his head to look at me. But as more of his face appeared, my eyes widened with horror.

"Oh my gosh... Alan!" I gasped. On the right side of his face was a big black bruise. It even seemed like the entire side was swollen. I slowly traced the outline of the bruise with my finger, but then I noticed he winced. "Ah! I'm sorry.. I shouldn't have done that! Come on inside Alan. We need to put some ice on your cheek right now."

"My... dad..." he croaked.

"What?""

"He.. did this to me..."

----------------------------------------------------------- ------
A/N: Hello everyone! Thanks for reading my story. I didn't mention in my first chapter, but this is the first story I've ever written. I'll be glad to accept any kind of CONSTRUCTIVE feedback and of course reviews :) Hope you're enjoying the story so far!