Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ What Are You Doing? ❯ Friendship ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I led Alan into the house, taking his hand and guiding him to the kitchen table.  I went to the fridge to get him an ice pack. For once I was grateful my mom insisted keeping ice packs just in case of emergancies. Alan took the ice pack I offered and pressed it to his right, swollen cheek. I snuck a glance at the bruise and I couldn't believe how big it was.

"Okay Alan," I said seriously. "please tell me what happened to you."

"Well... you know my dad did this to me," he said slowly, his voice slightly cracking. "When I got that phone call, my dad just came back from who knows where, drunk. He was pissed that I wasn't home and that I didn't tell him that I was going out. And... I dont' know, Mia... He hasn't been himself in over a month.." 

I nodded sympathetically.

Since Alan and I have been best friends since the 2nd grade, our families became close and got together often for events such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. It was like Alan's family was like part of my family. Alan's dad  was a supervisor of a computer company. I don't know all the details but something went wrong at the company and Alan's dad was laid off. It happened a month ago. Alan has been telling me his father is taking it really hard, so hard that he goes off late in the night and drinks and gambles. It hurts me seeing Alan's father like that too because I've known him so long and he was never like this. He used to be such a kind, refined man, who never drank or gambled.

"I can't believe he did this to you," I stated, shocked. "So as soon as you got home he just smacked you?"

"At first... he just started yelling. He was so angry that his face was red and you can see the veins on his neck pulsing... He was obviously drunk cause his speech was slurred and his clothes were all worn down and torn. Mom stepped in saying it wasn't fair for him to scold me since he wasn't home since yesterday afternoon." Alan paused, slowly taking a breathe and continued. "Then Dad just unleashed whatever remaning fury he had at my mom. I then stepped in myself because he had no right at all to yell at Mom. Next thing I know... I was on the floor and my cheek burning like hell... I guess he just left the room after that. Mom was crying... I just felt like I had to get away.. so I came here.. waiting for you to get back. I couldn't go to Allie's cause you know she's in Italy right now..."

I walked over to him and hugged him. "Oh Alan... I'm so sorry. If I had known I would have gone home instantly. You should have called me..."

"I forgot to bring my cell phone... I left the house in a daze, only taking my house key with me. I didn't want to go back for awhile anyway... I think he's getting worse Mia. I don't know what to do. I mean... I should be pissed as hell for what he did to me, but I know somewhere in there is the dad I know and love."

"It will just take time for your dad to recover and in the end, it will be okay. Maybe not right now, but in the end for sure," I said.

Alan sat silently for a moment. Then he turned to me and smiled. "Thanks Mia. For being there for me."

"What are friends for. I've always got your back," I responded, returning the smile. 

"I should go back," he said suddenly. He already started to get up from his seat and headed towards the front door.

"Whoa, whoa! Wait!" I called from behind him. "Are you sure? I mean, your cheek is still swollen..."

"I have to go back sooner or later. And I've been gone for a couple of hours anyway."

"Well okay... if you say so. At least take the ice pack with you."

He nodded and opened the front door. "Hey... can you not mention this to your mom? I don't want to get your family involved with this."

"Yeah, no problem. But you should still tell me what's going though," I said.

He gave me a reassuring smile and left, closing the door as he was leaving. I was thankful that he only lives a block away, but I was still worried about him. I sighed and started to do my chores like I was suppose to, still thinking about all that's happened today. 

First meeting Kayla, then finding Alan in a wreck. This is too much for a girl of 17 years of age.

------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------

Somehow I managed to finish washing the dishes from my breakfast this morning, doing the laundry, sweeping the floor, watering the front lawn, and taking out the trash just right before my mom came home. She came home around 3: 17 pm, looking quite tired. I suspected she was not used to this shift at her work yet. I greeted her with a smile and asked if she wanted me to cook anything for her. I guess she was more tired than hungry, since she immediately went upstairs to the bedroom. In moments, I heard my mom snoring, even from the bottom of the stairs. I giggled softly and walked towards the study room, just down the hallway from the kitchen. As promised, I did not reveal to my mom about what happened with Alan before she came home.

I sat in my swivel chair, staring at all my SAT prep books on top of the desk. I knew my brain would probably would die from all this studying, but the earlier I study I know I'll have more time to have fun. At least with whatever remaining time I have left for today.

----------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------

I don't know how long I was studying, but I'm sure if I didn't take a break soon my brain or my entire head would spontaneously combust. I pushed my books to the side and spun myself in circles a couple of times in my chair. I then felt my phone vibrate silently in my pocket, and I took it out to check it. Apparantly it was a text message. I was surprised since I rarely get texts. But I was more surprised at the sender.

"Hey there, Gorgeous. ;)"  It was from Kayla. 

I stared at the text message, slightly baffled. Yet at the same time, I can feel myself smiling. I guess I'm glad she decided to contact me.  I pressed the "Reply" button on my phone and began typing my message.

"Surprised to hear from you so soon. What's up?" I hit the "Send" button.

In less than 30 seconds I received another text from her. Damn! She textes heck of fast...

"Its cause I miss you. Heehee. I just wanted to talk to you."

I blinked. I couldn't tell if she was being sarcastic or not. For some reason I could feel something inside me hoping that she really was missing me.

"Well can't you just call me then? I suck at texting." It was true. I do suck at texting. It takes forever for me to type in 3 words.

I hit the "Send" button and waited for her next reply. This time my phone ended up ringing. I brought my phone to my ear and answered the call.

"Hello?"

"Hey girl hey!" a voice exclaimed rather loudly.

"Ow ow! Geez Kayla you don't have to yell," I answered.

"Sorry. That's how I am usually on the phone: loud." I heard her giggle on the other end.

"I see. Well I guess I'll have to get used to it," I said, laughing slightly. "So why did you want to talk to me?"

"Simple. I think you're hot," Kayla replied casually.

"What?! Is that really the real reason?"

Kayla laughed. "Not exactly. But you are pretty though."

"Y-yeah right.." I stuttered, blushing. Geez... This girl is always making me blush...

"Well I think so..." I did not know how to respond. I could only replay her words in my head, feeling a strange sensation spreading through my body. A moment of silence passed by, none of us saying anything. I then heard her clearing her throat. "Ahem. As I was saying, the real reason I wanted to talk to you is if you wanted to go out for lunch with me tomorrow."

"Oh really? Are you trying to make a move on me?" I teased.

"You think whatever you want to think," she said, slyly.

"Haha.  Well then, Ms. Kayla Anderson, I accept your invitation."

"Why thank you, Ms. Mia Wong. I shall pick you up. Does 10:15 sound good?"

I smiled. "Sounds very good."
----------------------------------------------------------------- -
A/N: Hello again! I'm really sorry for the slow update. I was busy since school started for me last week and I could hardly find time to go on the computer. I probably won't update as often, maybe weekly if I'm lucky. I'll try my best though! Hope you like this chapter and thank you to those who reviewed my story and just for everyone that's reading. It makes me happy :)