Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Curse of the 'Flu ❯ The Preview ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

CHAPTER IX: “The Preview
 
`Huh?' was Haruhi's reaction to the president's awesome plan, a monosyllabic word of praise in the realm of his hyperbolic mind.
`I don't know how I came up with it, but I did,' he grinned. `Starting next week, when this whole epidemic blows over, we shall go forth and host like we've never hosted before!'
`But you gave us another week…'
`Yes, yes! To prepare ourselves for the era that is to be!'
`And I suppose Kyouya and Kaoru are completely fine about this?'
`Absolutely! My plans are always accepted with confidence!'
`Well, it might be good for Kyouya and Kaoru to get to know each other…'
`Exactly! You see, Haruhi, I was told in the beginning - like all commoners are told, I'm sure - to make friends with so-and-so and such-and-such because it will be good for business and family relations.'
Haruhi's silent thought: Rich bastards…
`So I made friends with Kyouya on the advice of his sister…'
Kyouya has a sister?
`…and we got along rather well, especially after I suggested the Host Club because Kyouya is a really nice person beneath that cool demeanour. And he's so used to having to compete to be the best, and to be better than his two older brothers, that he never has time to make some proper friends. I thought that by starting the Host Club and asking him to help me run it, he would have the opportunity to meet more people and let them get to know him. He doesn't host, as such, because he doesn't seem interested in that, but this plan of mine ought to get things going! Ha ha ha - why are you looking at me like that, Haruhi?'
`Amazing,' she said; no trace of sarcasm.
Tamaki fishing on the moon.
`Thank you! I'm glad you share my confidence!'
`Well…'
Tamaki froze. `Well what? What is the well?'
`What does Hikaru-'
`He thinks nothing,' said Kyouya, standing by the door.
`Ah, Kyouya!' cried Tamaki. `We were just talking about you!'
`Oh? And what were you saying?'
`Er…' Haruhi smiled, slightly unnerved by Kyouya's stare - has this guy been getting any sleep?
`We were just saying what a wonderful vice-president you are for agreeing to my latest plan!'
Kyouya looked slowly from Haruhi to Tamaki.
`I see.'
The door opened.
`Good morning.'
Tamaki let Kyouya escape. `Well, well!' he exclaimed at the sight of Kaoru Hitachiin. `And who is it that keeps getting into people's classrooms and houses?'
`You're amusing, milord.'
`Morning, Hi-'
Hikaru rapidly blinked L - I - E in Morse code.
`Kaoru,' said Haruhi.
`So are you ready?' asked Tamaki, oblivious.
`Uh… ready for what, milord?'
`The demonstration, of course! Haruhi has never seen the man-and-wife host type in action and today will be her first preview!'
`Oh,' said Hikaru, wondering if his fever was worse than he thought. When Kaoru had told him about it, the concept struck him as hilarious, but now… `I'm sure Haruhi would find it boring, right? I mean, Kyouya and I have practised this a trillion times!'
`Only twice,' said Kyouya.
`Even so…'
`I wouldn't mind,' smiled Haruhi.
Hikaru tried to smile back; he dared not look at Kyouya. `Isn't this immoral in front of Haruhi, milord?' he hissed.
`Not at all!' beamed Tamaki, outshining the sun.
`But I might give her an inferiority complex. For instance, I could make a better wife than her.'
Haruhi's smile twitched. `What was that?'
Rocks and boulders.
`Nooooooooooooooooooo!!' gasped Tamaki. `Haruhi, come here! Shut your eyes! Close your ears! Protect your mind from bad influence!'
Haruhi with a paper bag on her head.
`Take it off…'
`I normally avoid Nekozawa by any means necessary, yet I sacrificed myself to have that plain paper bag specially blessed by Beelzenef, who, Nekozawa promised me by the light of ten candles, would deflect and deter the influence of all evil spirits!'
`Maybe you should get one then.'
`Good idea! But I'm scared of Nekozawa…'
`Well Kyouya and Kaoru, I'm sure I'll get to see this man-and-wife act some day. Please pass my regards to Hikaru. I hope he gets well.'
`Haruhi, where are you going? Kyouya, Kaoru, wait there! Haruhi, come back! It will only take a minute…!'
When Tamaki and Haruhi had gone, slamming the door behind them, Kyouya turned to Hikaru and smiled in an unsettling way. `It will take more than a minute,' he said, raising his right hand to stroke Hikaru's cheek.
Shocked, Hikaru evaded the gesture. `Wha-what are you doing?'
Kyouya stepped forward; Hikaru stepped back.
`You can't deny it,' said Kyouya. `They deserve each other, Tamaki and Haruhi. You should tell your brother not to interfere.'
`…what?'
`Let Hikaru fall in love with someone else… Let yourself fall in love with someone else…'
Hikaru felt the edge of a desk digging into his back - how could Kaoru do this to him? `What are you talking about?' he snapped. `I don't know what you mean.'
`Of course you do,' replied Kyouya, and leaned closer.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2