Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Curse of the 'Flu ❯ Attack of the Thriller Tomatoes ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

CHAPTER X: “Attack of the Thriller Tomatoes
 
Haruhi stopped at the end of the corridor, and once Tamaki caught up with her, turned and placed a finger on her lips. He did likewise, though had no idea what for as he followed her quietly down the stairs and into the reception area of the Suoh mansion. There were two couches on either side of the room, considerately arranged for the comfort of those whom Tamaki sometimes kept waiting for indefinite periods. Haruhi selected the couch on the right, which had, if one cared to look up, a narrow glimpse of the corridor they had just left behind. Tamaki lowered his finger in unison with Haruhi. They stared at the carpet and then at each other.
Tamaki said, `Do you think I'm doing the right thing?'
`I'm not sure,' answered Haruhi. `It seems an odd way to go about it…'
`Odd! How is it odd?'
`Well, if Renge likes Kyouya that much… wouldn't she be willing to accept him as he is… without him having to act with Kaoru? Maybe she had the wrong impression at first, thinking he was just like the character from a popular computer game, but didn't she, in spite of her initial disappointment, transfer all the way from France for a greater reason than just to… manage the Host Club?'
`I thought she came because of you?'
`Tamaki, this is not Lobelia High School.'
`Then I'm not doing the right thing…?'
`Your heart is in the right place, but trying to make Kyouya fall in love with Renge like this might not work out for the best…'
`He probably needs more time; some guys can be pretty slow about love…'
Haruhi smiled. `He's not the only one.'
`…and Kaoru, what do you think about him?'
`What do you mean?'
`If Kyouya proves stubborn, do you think Renge will like Kaoru instead?'
Haruhi laughed. `You have a strong imagination!'
`But it's not improbable,' insisted Tamaki. `They're in the same class and with a little encourage- Hey Kaoru, where are you going?'
The question stilled the twin in his tracks. He was not called “Kaoru”. He was “Hikaru”, moron.
`Where's Kyouya?'
Hikaru whirled round. He saw her sitting on a couch beside Tamaki and all he saw was how close they were and what a great couple they made and how there was no space for him in her heart while she occupied that couch.
His mouth almost sneered.
`I couldn't care less,' he managed; then stormed out of the mansion, though not before the butler unlocked the door and held it open first.
Tamaki sighed. `That's the second time he's done that.'
 
 
Kaoru groaned at the time on his clock and pushed aside his blankets. It was almost eleven now - practically midday. He had slept in; and missed meeting Kyouya and Tamaki, for that matter. Hmm… oh well, he thought. Blessing in disguise, perhaps?
He stretched.
He yawned.
Then he stood - only to step on something and hear it crack beneath his feet.
He glanced down.
He picked it up.
`Damn, this is Renge's.'
The game case rattled, reassuring Kaoru that the disk inside was broken. He would have to have it replaced. He could probably find a replacement in the nearest city. But as he washed and changed, parting his hair one way and then the other, he reckoned that Renge wouldn't notice. “Otaku” though she was, an expert on professionally copied originals she wasn't… except he just didn't have the time!
A slight grin.
Anyway, he had her figured out. Lend a computer game: ask a question. Borrow a computer game: ask another question.
He shook his head and walked to the Hitachiin library, a vast room filled with so many books that it actually gave him migraines - and that was just the shelves. Without raising his eyes, he went to where he and Hikaru had stocked a whole floor-to-ceiling shelf with two copies of each computer game ever released (ever). He would buy a replacement for the replacement, he promised! Then he called the family chauffeur and instructed him to prepare a car.
Ten minutes later, Kaoru was in a featureless vehicle and on his way to meet Renge. He was unfamiliar with the city, but he located the meeting place, which was in front of a large neon billboard in an area jam-packed with people.
`Hmm…' mused Kaoru, seeing a girl dressed in a cosplay outfit from a well-known mecha-series [Gundam Seed]. She was standing at the fore of a crowd waiting at a busy crossroad, anxiously wishing the red into green. When she noticed Kaoru at the opposite side of the road, she raised an arm and started waving furiously - enough to fan away the people beside her. Then, as the ushering melody conducted the crowd, she cheered and rushed straight ahead.
And was almost run over.
`Are you okay?' said Kaoru, frightened, even though it wasn't his near-death experience.
Renge flicked him a salute, one that nearly took his eye out. `Mission accomplished, sir!'
Kaoru held up the computer game.
`Oh thank you, thank you!' said Renge, studying the cover and examining the disk for scratches and dust; Kaoru smiled nervously. After a few seconds, she declared, `Nope! All present and accounted for! Ten out of ten!'
`If you say so, Captain Renge.'
`No need for formalities - I'm in civvies now!'
And she was, her outfit transforming into a pair of ripped jeans and a paint-splattered t-shirt with a sandwich squeaking “SPREAD ME!”
`Not what I usually wear,' she smiled shyly. `Is it, Kao-chan?'
Kaoru blinked. `I suppose not,' he said.
`So what should we do? Shopping? Karaoke? Cinema? Pachinko?'
`We're not old enough for pachinko.'
`Karaoke, then?'
`Sure, why not.'
`Then come with me!' said Renge, already dragging Kaoru somewhere. `I know a great place for karaoke! Haruhi and I went there the other day and had buckets of fun - BUCKETS!'
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2