Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Curse of the 'Flu ❯ The "N" Word ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

CHAPTER XI: “The `N' Word
 
So far he had bumped into three couples, two loners, and a bunny mascot, who gave him a promotional item advertising travel insurance and pet food. At a safe distance, he took it out again and immediately sought a bin - only to find himself arrested and appalled by the paper's poor quality, the dismal arrangement of graphics, the horrendous spacing, its inappropriate colour scheme…
It was worse than the Newspaper Club's!
Renge peered over his shoulder, popping up from various angles. `What have you got there, Kao-chan? What have you got there?'
Kaoru hid the item. `Nothing,' he said.
Fondly, Renge beamed and spread her hands, displaying them to the upper-left of the heavens and making both tingle with mild bolts of lightning. Slowly, his eyes rose from her proud face to the bright neon effigy swaying sleepily from side to side, a giant acid-orange lobster beckoning the hungry to dine in on its -
`Oh my god.'
`That's what I said!'
`But this is a seafood restaurant…' Renge held Kaoru's chin and directed his gaze. `Oh,' he said. `That's an impressive dark entrance.'
It lit up - the magnitude of a small star.
Cauldrons in neon pink and green.
Smoke machine under the stairs.
Mummified bats on strings.
`Halloween,' announced Renge, as if she had come up with the theme herself.
`I think I've gone blind.'
Renge grabbed his arm. `Let's go in!'
 
 
Kaoru stared at the small room dimmed to a twilight shade and twirling its night sky to a jerky tempo. The disco ball was tacky, but a nice touch, he had to admit, and the room consisted of just the right things to make it semi-enjoyable. For instance, he approved of the table for its practicality and forgave the out-dated sound system as he used to be quite fond of it ten years ago. However, he disliked the false leather material covering the booth. Certainly it was thought of as cruel to kill animals just for their skins and furs, but that was the snobbishness of commoners for you; they were simply jealous that they could no longer afford to indulge in the old culture they themselves had invented - though Kaoru kept these observations to himself.
He checked on Renge: judging from the way she enthusiastically scoured the meagre karaoke list, perhaps she was having fun. `Isn't this great?' she exclaimed, locating the latest pop songs and insisting that he sang maybe all of them. Kaoru reluctantly tried his best, even as Renge accidentally-on-purpose trebled the original rhythm.
Worn out, he silently drank ice-tea.
Renge watched, smiling in a curious manner. `Kaoru,' she said.
`Mmm?'
`Does Kyouya like me?'
`I'm sure he's fond of you in his own way…'
`But do you think he likes me?'
`I… guess so.'
`What makes you say that?'
Kaoru placed his drink on the table; it slid very slowly towards the edge. `It's very subtle,' he said, `but you can usually tell that Kyouya likes someone when he…'
`When he what?'
Kaoru smiled. `When he asks you about other people; like the people he knows who are special and precious to you.'
Renge clutched at Kaoru's hands suddenly, startling him. `Does he ask you about me, then?' she persisted.
Kaoru felt her fingers trembling as she spoke each word. `No,' he said, gently; placing a hand on top of hers to try and stop the shaking. `He and I aren't good friends… Not yet. So it's natural that he will tell me hardly anything… So if he comes to trust me, perhaps I will hear him ask about you. Then, maybe-'
`No.'
`Renge…?'
She held his hands firmly, determined not to let them go; he stared at her, dumbfounded. `I want you,' she said, `I want you.'
 
 
They left the karaoke room not holding hands, not even looking at each other, and the staff who thanked them - invariably cats, witches, ghosts and Frankensteins - assumed that the two had had a fight and hid behind the doorframe, hoping to witness yet another. But they were soon to be disappointed as the boy and girl simply stood there not speaking, not moving; drearily, they returned to their chores.
Kaoru was the first to speak. `I'm sorry,' he murmured. `I should have said something instead of just…'
`It was awkward,' said Renge. `I'm sorry I told you.'
`I had no idea…'
`I just wanted you to know.'
Kaoru put a hand to his hip and looked up at the clouds; they were heavy and grey. `I'll take you home,' he said.
`My car's just there.' Renge nodded at a pink Cadillac - or the rear end of one - parked at the end of the street. `I'll be fine. What about you?'
`I better call someone,' said Kaoru, and as he searched for his mobile, turning his head to investigate an inner pocket, he felt something moist land on his cheek and stay there. Then it was gone.
And she was gone.
Distracted, Kaoru removed something from his pocket, an item that caused a passer-by to say, `It's not too late, you know.'
Kaoru jumped. `Oh. It's you, Kyouya.'
It was indeed. And Kyouya looked strange. `She's almost to the car,' he said. `It's not too late.'
`So?' said Kaoru, irritated. He flicked open his mobile, flicking instead a number of flimsy objects straight into the street. They were in a garish set of colours - every colour of the rainbow. People who paused to bend down were instantly repelled. They stared at Kaoru with blue, apprehensive expressions, as if suspecting he was some sort of a monster or psycho, pervert or molester. And they ran away when he frowned.
`Naughty,' said Kyouya. `She would have liked those.'
Kaoru bent down and picked one up and just about died. `That - that rabbit!' he stuttered. `And - and what do you mean she would have liked them?'
`You know.'
Kaoru stepped back. `I don't have to explain myself to you.'
Kyouya stepped forward, backing him against the restaurant wall, pushing him deep into the shadows. A couple approached, chattering and laughing. They climbed up the stairs and into the karaoke bar. `I think you do,' said Kyouya, looking so strange.
`Renge can do what she wants.'
`Not with you, she can't.'
`You're not her boyfriend.'
`And you're not hers.'
Cute little crabs.
`…so what are you doing here, anyway?'
`There were some clients to entertain.'
`Ah.'
`Not like that.'
`I know.'
`You were teasing me.'
`Actually, I-'
`You failed.'
Then Kyouya moved. He was walking. He was disappearing. He had vanished into the crowd. And Kaoru touched his cheek, astounded - confused!
`HEY!' he yelled, and ran after him.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
3