Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Curse of the 'Flu ❯ The Twins Fight - Sort Of ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

CHAPTER XII: “The Twins Fight - Sort Of
 
Kaoru couldn't see Kyouya anywhere. He wandered up and down the street, seeking Kyouya's face in the crowd or a hint of his dignified figure, but Kyouya was nowhere to be seen: Kyouya had gone.
Frustrated, Kaoru seated himself in front of the neon billboard where he had met Renge earlier. What did it mean? What did any of this mean? Resting his palms on the bench and gazing up, he closed his eyes and wished things could go back to the way they were. In such a world, Renge would never confess her feelings for him. In such a world, none of them would have met Haruhi. In such a world, perhaps Kyouya wouldn't have- No. He would never wish that on Haruhi Fujioka. Ever since she had come to Ouran High School, she had done many people the world of good.
She had done Hikaru the world of good.
A sigh slipped out and Kaoru opened his eyes. Kyouya had a lot to learn. For one so insightful, he was definitely acting the fool. Trying to turn one twin against the other? Impossible! Hikaru had always been, and would always be, the foremost love of his life. They were born together and they lived together and they were the only ones in a stupid world who knew and understood each other best. Kaoru had done nothing to make Kyouya think him capable of betraying or hurting his twin. Whenever Kaoru asked Haruhi out, it was never for himself. No matter whom he chose to love, at least Hikaru had loved Kaoru first and it was that thought and those memories together that made the world less stupid and all the more wonderful…
Someone put their arms around him. Kaoru froze. He looked down at the wrists and recognised the watch that Hikaru normally wore. He was about to relax, except he could sense that something was wrong.
He watched Hikaru's fingers join and lock.
`I've been looking for you,' said Hikaru, no anxiety or affection in his voice.
Kaoru chose to remain still. `Well, you've found me,' he said, trying to smile; he was inexplicably afraid.
The arms around his neck tightened and a cheek pressed itself against his. `I thought you were ill,' said Hikaru, `so I went to Tamaki's in your place - I hope you didn't mind.'
Kaoru wanted to say that he didn't, but no words came out.
`Anyway, Haruhi was a good sport about it and didn't give me away. And Kyouya-' Kaoru swallowed. `-now Kyouya, he told me something very interesting. What was it again…?'
The arms removed themselves from Kaoru's neck; Hikaru walked around the bench and sat beside his brother.
`That's it,' he continued. `I think he told me that you were in love.' He turned to Kaoru, a pleasant smile on his lips. `Who are you in love with?'
Again, no words came.
`If you won't tell me, I can guess; it's not very hard. But what surprised me the most was not the fact that you kept this to yourself. What surprised me was how you were planning to go about it…' Hikaru went quiet. Then he said:
`You are a terrible brother.'
The spell was broken: Kaoru spoke. He tried to explain, he tried to put everything into context, but Hikaru was too hurt and angry to listen.
`I would never think to do that to you,' he growled, ignoring the tears in Kaoru's eyes. `If you want to fall in love with Kyouya, fine! Go ahead! Do it! But ruining my chances with Haruhi as well? I mean, what the fuck's wrong with you?'
`Hikaru, please, just listen to me…'
`What were you going to do? How were you going to do it?'
`Nothing! I wasn't going to do a thing! Jesus, Hikaru, I haven't done anything to you! I would never-' Kaoru's voice cracked; he looked away.
Hikaru paused. `Kaoru.' His twin wouldn't turn to him. He reached across; Kaoru turned. His face was calm, his eyes wet and miserable. `I know you wouldn't,' said Hikaru, now tender. `I just got scared, that's all. I want us to be happy. I don't want to leave you alone.'
Kaoru moved closer, hiding his face in Hikaru's shoulder as arms embraced him again.
`Don't you guys ever stop?'
The twins glanced up. A crowd had converged on the bench and was applauding their performance of brotherly love - amongst them Ranka, who was clapping the loudest, and Haruhi, who wasn't clapping at all.
`Haruhi,' said the twins, `fancy meeting you here.'
`Yeah,' she said, `fancy that.'
The crowd began to disperse, though not before the twins signed a few autographs and advertised their mother's fashion label.
Just like Kyouya, thought Haruhi, waving “good-bye” to potential customers.
`You were magnificent!' praised Ranka, asking for an autograph, which the twins signed with a flourish. `And now I know how to tell you apart! Haruhi gave me some tips, of course, but I prefer to figure things out myself!'
Kaoru and Hikaru exchanged glances: they had actually signed each other's names.
`We're going home now,' said Haruhi, `bye!'
`But don't you want to give them a lift?'
`Oh, you have a car now?' asked Hikaru.
`No,' replied Haruhi, giving her father a grim look. `We have a train to catch and we're going to miss it.'
Kaoru smiled. `The train passes our station - doesn't it, Hikaru?'
`I suppose...'
`May we join you, Haruhi?'
Ranka grasped Hikaru by the collar and shook him, `As long as I get to come to the house, as long as I get to come to the house!!'
`I never forbade you, Ranka - you can come - any time!'
Satisfied, Ranka released Hikaru and laughed a triumphant laugh; Haruhi shook her head.
On the way home, the twins discovered what Haruhi was doing with her father in the city. Apparently, one of Ranka's colleagues was getting married and decided to celebrate, inviting everyone he knew to a restaurant with a mechanical sea creature. As details of the party were delivered in a lively and melodramatic manner, causing embarrassment for all on the train, Kaoru observed his brother and the way he behaved towards Haruhi. Whilst Hikaru occupied a seat - cheerful, in spite of his fever - Haruhi stood in front of him, speaking, smiling.
It was beautiful to watch.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2